PDA

View Full Version : Post-split fixtures - No second visit to Pittodrie

grammyb111
19-03-2019, 12:59 PM
Despite the top six looking like it'll be the same this year as last, there will still end up being an imbalance of home/away games if we play the return games as scheduled. Aberdeen would end up with 20 home and 18 away and us the opposite. That'll mean we'll play them three times at home, shame given their home record and it being a good away day.

Diclonius
19-03-2019, 01:00 PM
If only it were that simple. Unfortunately there'll be imbalances with all the other four teams too.

Keith_M
19-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Despite the top six looking like it'll be the same this year as last, there will still end up being an imbalance of home/away games if we play the return games as scheduled. Aberdeen would end up with 20 home and 18 away and us the opposite. That'll mean we'll play them three times at home, shame given their home record and it being a good away day.

Where has this been announced?

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 01:18 PM

That's complete guesswork, I'm afraid. Much more likely that we'll just be given Aberdeen away again.

HoboHarry
19-03-2019, 01:29 PM
That's complete guesswork, I'm afraid. Much more likely that we'll just be given Aberdeen away again.
Based on what? Complete guesswork? :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
19-03-2019, 01:33 PM
we got the best fixtures we could get last season, i'm expecting us to be 18 Home-20 Away, we can't complain really

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Based on what? Complete guesswork? :greengrin

Yes. :greengrin

To be honest it's more trying to think how the SPFL thinks, which is a terrible mindset to get into. :wink:

grammyb111
19-03-2019, 01:35 PM

It's a lot cleaner than last year and can only work that way.

Before the split we have:

Celtic 17H/16A
Rangers 16H/17A
Aberdeen 17H/16A
Kilmarnock 16H/17A
Hearts 17H/16A
Hibs 16H/17A

'Due' fixtures:
Celtic:
Home: Kilmarnock, Hearts; Away: Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs. Total 19H/19A

Rangers:
Home: Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs; Away: Kilmarnock, Hearts. Total 19H/19A

Aberdeen:
Home: Celtic, Hearts, Hibs; Away: Rangers, Kilmarnock. Total 20H/18A

Kilmarnock:
Home: Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs; Away: Celtic, Hearts. Total 19H/19A

Hearts:
Home: Rangers, Kilmarnock; Away: Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs. Total 19H/19A

Hibs:
Home: Celtic, Hearts; Away: Rangers, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock. Total 18H/20A

The SPFL have said all along that their priority is giving teams the same number of home and away games. Looks pretty nailed on to me?

JimBHibees
19-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Wee bit presumptious not in top 6 yet. Lose next game and very much up for grabs.

grammyb111
19-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Wee bit presumptious not in top 6 yet. Lose next game and very much up for grabs.

This of course first!

Since452
19-03-2019, 01:42 PM
This top 6 chat makes me uncomfortable. We aren't there yet

CockneyRebel
19-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Celtic 17H/16A
Rangers 16H/17A
Aberdeen 17H/16A
Kilmarnock 16H/17A
Hearts 17H/16A
Hibs 16H/17A

'Due' fixtures:
Celtic:

Rangers:

Aberdeen:

Kilmarnock:

Hearts:

Hibs:

The SPFL have said all along that their priority is giving teams the same number of home and away games. Looks pretty nailed on to me?

In the above scenario why can't we get Aberdeen at home and then every team will have 19H and 19A? It ain't rocket science (or is it?)

grammyb111
19-03-2019, 01:50 PM
In the above scenario why can't we get Aberdeen at home and then every team will have 19H and 19A? It ain't rocket science (or is it?)

That's my point, hence the title of the thead

Diclonius
19-03-2019, 01:50 PM

Celtic 17H/16A
Rangers 16H/17A
Aberdeen 17H/16A
Kilmarnock 16H/17A
Hearts 17H/16A
Hibs 16H/17A

'Due' fixtures:
Celtic:

Rangers:

Aberdeen:

Kilmarnock:

Hearts:

Hibs:

Ah, okay. Yup, that'll be it then.

dangermouse
19-03-2019, 01:52 PM

The rocket science bit last season was based on who was competing for European places. This time round it could be all six teams (or hopefully everyone bar Hearts)

Famous Fiver
19-03-2019, 02:15 PM
Do we get a rebate from Season Ticket for the potential loss of two home games or is it just tough t*tty?

California-Hibs
19-03-2019, 02:15 PM
This top 6 chat makes me uncomfortable. We aren't there yet

Really? Looking at the remaining fixtures of those around us vs ours I think we could even lose our next 3 and still be in the top 6. We've made it in my opinion.

LancsHibs
19-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Do we get a rebate from Season Ticket for the potential loss of two home games or is it just tough t*tty?

Would you take money back off Hibs?

Salisbury Hibby
19-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Do we get a rebate from Season Ticket for the potential loss of two home games or is it just tough t*tty?Two?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

hibbymac
19-03-2019, 02:47 PM

:tumble: .... :greengrin

Famous Fiver
19-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Worst option = 18
Best option =20

Difference is 2.

Granted it should be an even split.

smack
19-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Season ticket is based on 19 home games. Would you be willing to pay more in the seasons that we get 20 home games?
I certainly wouldn’t. It’s swings and roundabouts. Some seasons you score by getting 20 and others you lose by getting only 18 home games

Salisbury Hibby
19-03-2019, 05:32 PM
Worst option = 18
Best option =20

Difference is 2.

Granted it should be an even split.So if you got 20 home games would you give Hibs some money?

It's nominally 19 games, so you're potentially only losing out on one game.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Keith_M
19-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Worst option = 18
Best option =20

Difference is 2.

Granted it should be an even split.

Surely the assumption would be nineteen home games, so you can only lose one.

Twenty games would be one extra.

Here’s Lucy!
19-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Would you take money back off Hibs?

Catch 22. :greengrin

Famous Fiver
19-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Quite happy to pay the extra for a 20th match if the club declare that is required.

Not happy that our Jambo chums may get 20 home matches when we only get 18.

I have happily paid the prices described by many on here as exorbitant for home cup ties. Fully in favour of having to pay the rate which the club set.

Hibee Mac
19-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Who out of that top 6 did the spfl predict would not be there? Daft if you ask me as that would have been everyone's guess at the start (although the order of the teams would most certainly not be)

McD
19-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Quite happy to pay the extra for a 20th match if the club declare that is required.

Not happy that our Jambo chums may get 20 home matches when we only get 18.

I have happily paid the prices described by many on here as exorbitant for home cup ties. Fully in favour of having to pay the rate which the club set.

It it looks like it would be Aberdeen that could get 20 home games, rather than the jambos

Callum_62
19-03-2019, 07:44 PM
I thought they used last season top 6 as the base

Meaning if they all make it again everyone gets even split?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenpaper55
19-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Garbage, give us a sixteen team league and be done with this madness.

marinello59
19-03-2019, 07:53 PM

Which would leave us with a load of totally meaningless games. It ain’t perfect but the split actually works when it comes to keeping things interesting. It’s grown on me.

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 08:03 PM

Which would leave us with a load of totally meaningless games. It ain’t perfect but the split actually works when it comes to keeping things interesting. It’s grown on me.

And this is why I think I have the perfect answer (not to toot my own horn or anything).

A 16 team league, everybody plays each other home and away, so we get to 30 games.

Then, the league splits into a top 8 and a bottom 8. Seven more games takes us to 37, which is one game fewer than we currently have now.

Each season, 4 teams in each half will miss out on the extra home game, but hopefully when a pattern develops the fixture boffins would be able to work out who's due the extra home game every season.

I think that would answer everybody's problems. We'd stop having to play sides 4 times a season (which is dull). The most you could play a side in the league would be three times, and you'd only play the other half of the league twice. Throw in the Scottish and League Cups, and the most you could play a side in a season is 6 times, and that would only be if you finished in the same half, drew them in the League Cup and drew them in the Scottish and a replay was required. For context, Rangers and Aberdeen have already played each other 6 times season and will be ending up in the same half of the split come April.

This would make games, in my opinion, more exclusive and special. For example:

August - Hibs vs Hearts
January - Hearts vs Hibs
April/May - Hibs vs Hearts

The hope is that the first two derbies would generate hype purely by being derbies (and occurring less often than under the current system), then the final derby might well have European football or the like riding on it, so there'd be high stakes and it wouldn't be a meaningless end of season friendly as you would have more of under the 30 games a season model.

Also, I'd have 15th and 16th going automatically down, with 14th in a relegation play-off against the winners of 3rd vs 4th* in the Championship. This would hopefully keep things more exciting down the bottom, and you wouldn't just get one or two teams being cut adrift.

Feedback welcome on this, but I honestly think it's the best way forward in terms of a league structure.

greenpaper55
19-03-2019, 08:43 PM

You could be seventh in the league and twenty points clear of relegation, plenty meaningless games there.

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2019, 08:57 PM
So if the top 6 is the same as last season how have they managed to get an uneven number of fixtures?

Billy Whizz
19-03-2019, 09:01 PM
So if the top 6 is the same as last season how have they managed to get an uneven number of fixtures?

All I can think is they work on an equation based on last few seasons placings,not season to season, which is understandable

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2019, 09:04 PM
All I can think is they work on an equation based on last few seasons placings,not season to season, which is understandable

They’ve led us to believe over the years that the uneven fixtures are due to change in “prediction” though.

Maybe they’re just making it up?

inglisavhibs
19-03-2019, 09:06 PM
And this is why I think I have the perfect answer (not to toot my own horn or anything).

A 16 team league, everybody plays each other home and away, so we get to 30 games.

Then, the league splits into a top 8 and a bottom 8. Seven more games takes us to 37, which is one game fewer than we currently have now.

Each season, 4 teams in each half will miss out on the extra home game, but hopefully when a pattern develops the fixture boffins would be able to work out who's due the extra home game every season.

I think that would answer everybody's problems. We'd stop having to play sides 4 times a season (which is dull). The most you could play a side in the league would be three times, and you'd only play the other half of the league twice. Throw in the Scottish and League Cups, and the most you could play a side in a season is 6 times, and that would only be if you finished in the same half, drew them in the League Cup and drew them in the Scottish and a replay was required. For context, Rangers and Aberdeen have already played each other 6 times season and will be ending up in the same half of the split come April.

August - Hibs vs Hearts
January - Hearts vs Hibs

The hope is that the first two derbies would generate hype purely by being derbies (and occurring less often than under the current system), then the final derby might well have European football or the like riding on it, so there'd be high stakes and it wouldn't be a meaningless end of season friendly as you would have more of under the 30 games a season model.

Also, I'd have 15th and 16th going automatically down, with 14th in a relegation play-off against the winners of 2nd vs 3rd in the Championship. This would hopefully keep things more exciting down the bottom, and you wouldn't just get one or two teams being cut adrift.

Feedback welcome on this, but I honestly think it's the best way forward in terms of a league structure.
Would rather watch Hibs playing, Aberdeen, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic twice at Easter Road than having teams like Inverness, Ross County, Morton etc come and shut up shop. Proof is in the pudding and the bigger the game the more Hibs fans go. Not perfect but the best we can do in Scotland with our population distribution.

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 09:10 PM
Would rather watch Hibs playing, Aberdeen, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic twice at Easter Road than having teams like Inverness, Ross County, Morton etc come and shut up shop. Proof is in the pudding and the bigger the game the more Hibs fans go. Not perfect but the best we can do in Scotland with our population distribution.

Each to their own, I think it's artificial and overkill. Get completely bored of playing everyone at Easter Road twice a season. Games would mean much more if you had them as one-offs a year.

BoomtownHibees
19-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Each to their own, I think it's artificial and overkill. Get completely bored of playing everyone at Easter Road twice a season. Games would mean much more if you had them as one-offs a year.

It’s a decent idea in principle but would be worth looking at how much income would be lost with playing “smaller” teams instead of getting Cat A games

inglisavhibs
19-03-2019, 09:22 PM
We have enough games in Scotland with circa 2000 crowds, your solution would mean far more of the same.

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 09:26 PM
We have enough games in Scotland with circa 2000 crowds, your solution would mean far more of the same.

How is Scotland ever supposed to grow its game if we, the fans, just decide that only four or five games a season actually matter?

WhileTheChief..
19-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Thought this thread was like, you know, a fact type one going by the title!

marinello59
19-03-2019, 10:12 PM
You could be seventh in the league and twenty points clear of relegation, plenty meaningless games there.

You could be. A 16 team league could have more teams in that situation.
We weren’t in relegation danger prior to the split in the season we went down. Sadly every game mattered after it.

Greenfly
19-03-2019, 10:54 PM

August - Hibs vs Hearts
January - Hearts vs Hibs

Also, I'd have 15th and 16th going automatically down, with 14th in a relegation play-off against the winners of 2nd vs 3rd in the Championship. This would hopefully keep things more exciting down the bottom, and you wouldn't just get one or two teams being cut adrift.

If 15th and 16th go down, who comes up to replace them? 1st obviously but who else if 2nd and 3rd from championship are already playing 14th from Premiership? Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Apart from that bit of head-scratching I think you've got a really interesting idea with some attractions. The reality of course is that TV want the twisted twins playing each other as often as possible (at least 4 times a season) and we all bow down to the TV companies.

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 11:01 PM
If 15th and 16th go down, who comes up to replace them? 1st obviously but who else if 2nd and 3rd from championship are already playing 14th from Premiership? Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Apart from that bit of head-scratching I think you've got a really interesting idea with some attractions. The reality of course is that TV want the twisted twins playing each other as often as possible (at least 4 times a season) and we all bow down to the TV companies.

My mistake, I meant 3rd and 4th in the Championship play each other and 2nd would come up automatically to replace 15th. Will fix it now, thanks for spotting it. :aok:

Re. your point about TV companies, you're absolutely correct. It would require Rangers and Celtic to grow a bit of awareness for what's best for the game rather than themselves for once. I won't be holding my breath on that one...

hibbysam
20-03-2019, 08:37 AM
My mistake, I meant 3rd and 4th in the Championship play each other and 2nd would come up automatically to replace 15th. Will fix it now, thanks for spotting it. :aok:

Re. your point about TV companies, you're absolutely correct. It would require Rangers and Celtic to grow a bit of awareness for what's best for the game rather than themselves for once. I won't be holding my breath on that one...

You single out rangers and Celtic, surely that goes for nearly every other club who don’t want to lose an 2 old firm home games each season and the money that brings them.

I’m all for a bigger league purely due to the competitiveness that brings the top of the league but to blame only rangers and Celtic for it not happening is utter nonsense.

Aim Here
20-03-2019, 01:14 PM

If you're seventh, then sure, you maybe have five meaningless games, but the pre-split games are likely not meaningless, in that you were fighting for that top 6 spot; in a larger league with no split, you'd likely have the last 10 or 15 games without much to play for.

Steven79
20-03-2019, 01:22 PM
If you're seventh, then sure, you maybe have five meaningless games, but the pre-split games are likely not meaningless, in that you were fighting for that top 6 spot; in a larger league with no split, you'd likely have the last 10 or 15 games without much to play for.

Other leagues manage to get round this around the world why not in Scotland? It would hardly be the last 15-10 games either....

JeMeSouviens
20-03-2019, 01:33 PM

August - Hibs vs Hearts
January - Hearts vs Hibs

Also, I'd have 15th and 16th going automatically down, with 14th in a relegation play-off against the winners of 3rd vs 4th* in the Championship. This would hopefully keep things more exciting down the bottom, and you wouldn't just get one or two teams being cut adrift.

The problem with the split is that all teams don't have the same set of fixtures. Your proposal makes that much worse. 2 teams going for the league and one gets 2 games at home vs the other but only 1 away?

Fuzzywuzzy
20-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Always thought the 3 points for an away win, 2 for a home and 1 point for the draw would make things interesting.

Keith_M
20-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Always thought the 3 points for an away win, 2 for a home and 1 point for the draw would make things interesting.

Current

Fuzzy's

Celtc

Celtc

T'Rangers

T'Rangers

Aberdeen

Aberdeen

Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock

Hearts

Hearts

Hibs

Hibs

Motherwell

Motherwell

Livingston

St Johnstone

St Johnstone

Livingston

Hamilton

Hamilton

Dundee

Dundee

St Mirren

St Mirren

20-03-2019, 06:04 PM

Assuming we make the top 6 then yes, us to play Aberdeen at home would the sensible way to do it, which is why the SPFL will probably decide to do something different.

ian cruise
20-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Current

Fuzzy's

Celtc

Celtc

T'Rangers

T'Rangers

Aberdeen

Aberdeen

Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock

Hearts

Hearts

Hibs

Hibs

Motherwell

Motherwell

Livingston

St Johnstone

St Johnstone

Livingston

Hamilton

Hamilton

Dundee

Dundee

St Mirren

St Mirren

Impossible to prove I know, but 8f the points were allocated as suggested by Fuzzy then you might find some teams pushing for an away win rather than settle for a point away from home?

Fuzzywuzzy
20-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Current

Fuzzy's

Celtc

Celtc

T'Rangers

T'Rangers

Aberdeen

Aberdeen

Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock

Hearts

Hearts

Hibs

Hibs

Motherwell

Motherwell

Livingston

St Johnstone

St Johnstone

Livingston

Hamilton

Hamilton

Dundee

Dundee

St Mirren

St Mirren

Cheers for that. Certainly makes things look tighter!

Keith_M
20-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Impossible to prove I know, but 8f the points were allocated as suggested by Fuzzy then you might find some teams pushing for an away win rather than settle for a point away from home?

You could be right.

Hibee Mac
20-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Would be interesting to see where we would have ended up last season had the points been as fuzzy mentions earlier with more for away wins.

If I remember correctly our away form was great.

Keith_M
20-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Would be interesting to see where we would have ended up last season had the points been as fuzzy mentions earlier with more for away wins.

If I remember correctly our away form was great.

In terms of points, it makes a big difference to Livingston. They've had nine home wins and only one away.

McD
20-03-2019, 09:10 PM
You single out rangers and Celtic, surely that goes for nearly every other club who don’t want to lose an 2 old firm home games each season and the money that brings them.

I’m all for a bigger league purely due to the competitiveness that brings the top of the league but to blame only rangers and Celtic for it not happening is utter nonsense.

:agree:

Theres too many clubs who bank on those games - don’t killie give the OF something like 2/3 - 3/4s of rugby park when they visit? It’s all about raking in the cash when rantic come to town.

greenpaper55
20-03-2019, 09:20 PM
I'm sure i read somewhere on here that with a larger league it is more difficult for the OF to win it, calling all mathematicians !

JimBHibees
21-03-2019, 07:20 AM
I'm sure i read somewhere on here that with a larger league it is more difficult for the OF to win it, calling all mathematicians !

I think it does as teams can beat the other teams and only play twice a season.

Phil MaGlass
25-03-2019, 08:25 AM
I dont have a problem playing the same teams 4 times a year. I think its a myth that playing the huns, sellik, hertz, and dons is boring. I have also come around to enjoying the split. Jees its the only thing we have talked about more than Neil Lennon this season.

Billy Whizz
30-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Top 6 guaranteed today if Motherwell and St Johnstone draw