PDA

View Full Version : Leeann Dempster

matty_f
18-03-2019, 11:44 AM
I'm seeing more and more posts on here and on twitter with a very strong anti-Dempster stance, and so I'm curious as to what is behind it.

I know some people are unhappy at perceived inaction regarding our treatment at Ibrox and/or regarding the sectarian singing from both sides of the OF. Some were unhappy at Rangers getting the whole Dunbar end recently, and there's the thread about the singing section where we have an (admittedly one-sided version of events) issue with some of the support.

The criticism I've seen has been fairly personal and not just on these issues, and so I'd like to hear from people who feel that she is not doing a good job, and why/what evidence do you have for it?

FWIW, I think if you tot up her good v bad, then Dempster is significantly in credit, and the overall picture at the club is significantly better than when she took over. I think she has overseen some major positives at the club - the Scottish Cup win, Europe (twice), promotion, 4th place finish, high attendances etc..

Is it just that some small gripes are being given too much air-time, or are there genuinely folk out there who would rather we replaced her?

Onceinawhile
18-03-2019, 11:49 AM
She's female and therefore insecure males think she doesn't "get it" as she panders to the club's best interest rather than their own specific interests. As a result, they use any possible stick with which to beat her.

Alternatively, there's a lot of opinions and you can't keep everyone happy all the time. Maybe you've just become more aware of it as it's so juxtaposed to your position?

04Sauzee
18-03-2019, 11:54 AM
I'm seeing more and more posts on here and on twitter with a very strong anti-Dempster stance, and so I'm curious as to what is behind it.

I know some people are unhappy at perceived inaction regarding our treatment at Ibrox and/or regarding the sectarian singing from both sides of the OF. Some were unhappy at Rangers getting the whole Dunbar end recently, and there's the thread about the singing section where we have an (admittedly one-sided version of events) issue with some of the support.

The criticism I've seen has been fairly personal and not just on these issues, and so I'd like to hear from people who feel that she is not doing a good job, and why/what evidence do you have for it?

FWIW, I think if you tot up her good v bad, then Dempster is significantly in credit, and the overall picture at the club is significantly better than when she took over. I think she has overseen some major positives at the club - the Scottish Cup win, Europe (twice), promotion, 4th place finish, high attendances etc..

Is it just that some small gripes are being given too much air-time, or are there genuinely folk out there who would rather we replaced her?

There seems to be a band of people on Twitter that have nothing good to say abut Hibs or Leeann, i have no idea what their agenda is or why they are so negative about our club.

I found myself on Friday actually firing of an email to Leeann just to say thanks for what she brings to the club especially over what has been a challenging few motnhs.

Alan62
18-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Some people like to complain about everything. As Rod Petrie has faded from daily view, it's become easier to just blame Leeann for everything that they perceive as going wrong.

Lots of fans have unrealistic expectations and some like to bash the club when we haven't spent money we don't have bringing in players we can't afford.

Others saw Leeann as the reason for Neil Lennon's departure rather than admitting that the problem was Lennon himself.

For me, she's arguably the best signing we've made in years. She's astute and well organised and, most importantly, she maintains her focus, ignores the doubters and gets on with the job.

I hope she's with us for many more years to come.

Mango Man
18-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Agreed, I've had a couple of disagreements with folk on Twitter regarding what they say about Leeann.

1. The whole Lennon debacle, nobody knows what really happened with that and it was clear as day that both parties hands were tied in what they could say, so can't blame her for that.

2. Giving Rangers the whole stand, I'm a big believer in if we can guarantee our own supporters can fill it out, then we should, if it looks like we can't, then give it to Rangers, who will be able to sell it out no worries, we really can't afford to lose money and only have a smattering of Hibs fans in the stand, that's cutting off our nose to spite our face, our fans are quick enough to blame the board when we get outbid for players, this wouldn't help.

3. Singing section, did they not request to move?

4. Loyalty points, never gonna win with that one I'm afraid.

PatHead
18-03-2019, 12:00 PM

Matty, I think you have missed the one which really seemed to escalate complaints, namely the Neil Lennon saga and the subsequent silence during the appointment of our new manager.

Personally, I think overall she is doing a great job and hope she will stay for some time to come.

davhibby
18-03-2019, 12:03 PM
I think there are plenty who understand and appreciate the good she has done but I think that most of what she has done wrong is on the fan relations front which will always lead to folk getting on her back. Even just the fact we'd pretty much not heard from her in 2 years until the other week when the interaction with the support had been so good left her open to people having a go. Obviously there are always going to be people who like to have a pop at the club for no reason but I don't think the fact she seems to be leaving sections of the support disgruntled should be swept under the carpet as just people moaning over nothing

hibbysam
18-03-2019, 12:07 PM
She’s done a good job on most fronts, but she can still receive criticism for the things she doesn’t do well, and her stubbornness.

Tickets (loyalty points, stopping selling to certain areas, removing concession prices)
Communication (appointing fans reps as guinea pigs to take all the flak from herself and not hearing from her for ages until a few weeks ago)
Refusal to act upon horrendous verbal abuse of players and coaches of the club, which ultimately has led to us receiving even worse headlines as we don’t bring up the bad that happens to us.

It’s a two sides coin, she can receive praise for her good work and criticism for her bad work, like anyone else.

Since452
18-03-2019, 12:08 PM
People like having a moan and being outraged by something. Social media gives them a tool to do that but as it's not face to face they become more opinionated/brave/argumentative than they normally would be. I've not heard any anti Dempster chat at the games yet.

Hibernian Verse
18-03-2019, 12:13 PM
If you're looking for answers from those on twitter you won't get them here, because they are almost all banned or not on .net and hate the site.

CapitalGreen
18-03-2019, 12:14 PM
It seems to be a part of modern day football that you are supposed to hate your clubs owners and administrators regardless of what they do for your club.

The only exception to the above rule is if they are members of a royal family from a country with a very dubious human rights record.

Stonewall
18-03-2019, 12:14 PM
I think there are plenty who understand and appreciate the good she has done but I think that most of what she has done wrong is on the fan relations front which will always lead to folk getting on her back. Even just the fact we'd pretty much not heard from her in 2 years until the other week when the interaction with the support had been so good left her open to people having a go. Obviously there are always going to be people who like to have a pop at the club for no reason but I don't think the fact she seems to be leaving sections of the support disgruntled should be swept under the carpet as just people moaning over nothing

From what I’ve seen most of the criticism is ludicrous and very little of it has any merit whatsoever and is best ignored as in true internet style no-one is listening. If no-one is listening there’s no point in replying.

I think Pathead is right in that the Lennon saga appeared to be a tipping point for many but in reality the club was just being professional and doing what these muppets wanted would have potentially cost the club a lot of money. Needless to say when these inconvenient facts were pointed out they were ignored or shouted down. No counter arguments were given.

No point getting involved, just accept we have a lot of idiots amongst us unfortunately and move on.

matty_f
18-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Matty, I think you have missed the one which really seemed to escalate complaints, namely the Neil Lennon saga and the subsequent silence during the appointment of our new manager.

Personally, I think overall she is doing a great job and hope she will stay for some time to come.

Yes, I did miss that one, which was fairly significant now you mention it.

I think that whole situation could have been handled better to a point, but having dealt with HR issues I know the employer has to be very careful what they say.

The 90+2
18-03-2019, 12:15 PM
It seems to be a part of modern day football that you are supposed to hate your clubs owners and administrators regardless of what they do for your club.

The only exception to the above rule is if they are members of a royal family from a country with a very dubious human rights record.

The last thing it should be put down to is a simple generalization of everything.

Smartie
18-03-2019, 12:16 PM
I think she's magnificent, and is continuing to do an excellent job.

None of our recent problems are of her making (or at they aren't based on my understanding of events). Issues have found their way to her and she's had to deal with them. I agree with her stance regarding the crowd trouble, I agree with her handling of the Lennon situation and how that led to us ending up with the manager we now have.

Her job is always going to be a fairly thankless one. You cannot keep everyone in a support like ours happy all the time and every decision you make will be welcomed by some and slaughtered by others.

We've not won a hoodoo-busting trophy for 3 years so some folk will be getting twitchy down to that. Some won't like her words and hard line regarding crowd behaviour.

We're unlikely to get anyone, ever, who does as good a job as she's done over the piece.

My main criticism would be a more general one of Hibs at present - there are lots of factors relating to Rangers that I'm not entirely happy about. I don't like our continued silence regarding sectarian chanting in our stadium, I think some of what has been directed at some of our recent managers at Ibrox has been disgraceful (along with Hibs' silence on the subject). I don't think we should have just "moved on" from Rangers cheating years and I think the fact that we've all been urged to move on without examining and learning from the episode has led to the widespread lack of faith in the integrity of football governance in Scotland that is expressed on a weekly basis. I don't agree with flogging them the whole South Stand, thousands of huns in your ground for a Friday night party does not create an atmosphere that I like and I won't be back at another game like that (another seat that could be filled by a knuckle dragger wielding blue pounds if Hibs so wish). I don't think these decisions are solely down to LD though and don't wish to beat her with them.

So - on the whole - I am delighted with the job she continues to do, and my concerns are minor.

matty_f
18-03-2019, 12:19 PM
She’s done a good job on most fronts, but she can still receive criticism for the things she doesn’t do well, and her stubbornness.

Tickets (loyalty points, stopping selling to certain areas, removing concession prices)
Communication (appointing fans reps as guinea pigs to take all the flak from herself and not hearing from her for ages until a few weeks ago)
Refusal to act upon horrendous verbal abuse of players and coaches of the club, which ultimately has led to us receiving even worse headlines as we don’t bring up the bad that happens to us.

It’s a two sides coin, she can receive praise for her good work and criticism for her bad work, like anyone else.

100% agree that criticism is as open a topic for discussion as praise - that's very important.

I think it's more the pace at which the criticism is growing, that got my attention and hence why I asked the question.

matty_f
18-03-2019, 12:23 PM
If you're looking for answers from those on twitter you won't get them here, because they are almost all banned or not on .net and hate the site.

To be honest, it was from the folk of that opinion on here that I was interested in hearing from - I'm on twitter so have seen numerous tweets about it already.

I always think it's quite funny that folk would hate a website. Is it the users or the domain name they hate?

hibs.net is just a platform for folk to share opinions. Some you'll agree with, some you'll disagree with.

I suppose we have some rules here around how you voice your opinion that people might not like, but all our rules are just about being decent, really, so I'm not sure why folk would have an issue with that.

It's like me saying I hate twitter because some people tweeted something I disagreed with.

Wakeyhibee
18-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Is this just not the fact that when things aren't going a certain way the criticism is very vocal, yet when things are going well, ie the last few weeks, the praise is not in equal amounts to the criticism.

It distorts the view that someone is doing more harm than good, which to me is not a fair reflection on LDs tenure.

As you say I think on that score she is heavily in credit.

bookert
18-03-2019, 12:31 PM
I think she is one of the best appointments hibs have made in the 50 odd years I have been supporting them. She won't be with us forever and I'm not looking forward to the day she leaves, but I trust her to have a succession plan in place when that day comes.

Hibernia&Alba
18-03-2019, 12:32 PM
I'm sure some just have a problem with whoever is in charge at the time. However, one or two recent things have turned up the heat on Dempster, rightly or wrongly:

1, The return to giving Rangers the entire away end. A climbdown to some.

2, Her recent statements about the behaviour of some Hibs supporters, even cthreatening to close the East Stand, whilst saying nothing of the behaviour of the away supporters in the games against Celtic and Rangers, including the sectarian singing.

I think the recent anger towards her is the result of perceived appeasement of the Old Firm whilst lambasting Hibs fans. Whether that is right or wrong, i think that's the perception some have.

The 90+2
18-03-2019, 12:38 PM

None of our recent problems are of her making (or at they aren't based on my understanding of events). Issues have found their way to her and she's had to deal with them. I agree with her stance regarding the crowd trouble, I agree with her handling of the Lennon situation and how that led to us ending up with the manager we now have.

Her job is always going to be a fairly thankless one. You cannot keep everyone in a support like ours happy all the time and every decision you make will be welcomed by some and slaughtered by others.

We've not won a hoodoo-busting trophy for 3 years so some folk will be getting twitchy down to that. Some won't like her words and hard line regarding crowd behaviour.

We're unlikely to get anyone, ever, who does as good a job as she's done over the piece.

My main criticism would be a more general one of Hibs at present - there are lots of factors relating to Rangers that I'm not entirely happy about. I don't like our continued silence regarding sectarian chanting in our stadium, I think some of what has been directed at some of our recent managers at Ibrox has been disgraceful (along with Hibs' silence on the subject). I don't think we should have just "moved on" from Rangers cheating years and I think the fact that we've all been urged to move on without examining and learning from the episode has led to the widespread lack of faith in the integrity of football governance in Scotland that is expressed on a weekly basis. I don't agree with flogging them the whole South Stand, thousands of huns in your ground for a Friday night party does not create an atmosphere that I like and I won't be back at another game like that (another seat that could be filled by a knuckle dragger wielding blue pounds if Hibs so wish). I don't think these decisions are solely down to LD though and don't wish to beat her with them.

So - on the whole - I am delighted with the job she continues to do, and my concerns are minor.

Great post.

Mango Man
18-03-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm sure some just have a problem with whoever is in charge at the time. However, one or two recent things have turned up the heat on Dempster, rightly or wrongly:

2, Her recent statements about the behaviour of some Hibs supporters, even cthreatening to close the East Stand, whilst saying nothing of the behaviour of the away supporters in the games against Celtic and Rangers, including the sectarian singing.

I think the recent anger towards her is the result of perceived appeasement of the Old Firm whilst lambasting Hibs fans. Whether that is right or wrong, i think that's the perception some have.

Maybe more would have been said about the singing if that idiot didn't throw a glass bottle on the pitch or if that other idiot didn't run on the pitch, these incidents are worse than sectarian songs for sure.

Bostonhibby
18-03-2019, 12:47 PM

So - on the whole - I am delighted with the job she continues to do, and my concerns are minor.This is pretty much my views too.

She's doing a great job. In so far as the issue over the away end and Huns goes, it was on her watch we cut their allocation too, personally I'd keep them out until we have proof they're doing something about the hateful treatment away fans get at Sevco.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
18-03-2019, 12:54 PM
I think she is doing a fantastic job and is easily the best CEO we have had since I started following Hibs (1985). The difference between her and Petrie is immense.
And she done an amazing job with loyalty points. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatHead
18-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Can I clarify a couple of things.

Hibs did complain to Sevco about the treatment Alan Stubbs received. They did it in our normal proper manner and not through the papers.

With regard to the cutting of their allocation I am in favour of that but once again lets be fair here, we did cut their allocation for at least 2 games (off the top of my head). I can't remember us doing that before. We have stood up to them more often in the last few years than I can remember us doing before.

As I said I am in favour of us cutting their allocation however the supporters did not back the decision by filling our sections. Money will have been a major consideration in that and if we can put more money towards a Mark McNulty signing then that is a strong argument to the board.

In the current climate of Sevco deflecting everything and posing as the victims in MSM maybe just now isn't the time to go in with all guns blazing.

Onceinawhile
18-03-2019, 01:01 PM

She never threatened to close the east stand though. She just said no options were off the table.

HFC93
18-03-2019, 01:01 PM
A few nutters on twitter seem to be obsessed with her Rangers supporting past. It’s embarrassing reading some of the stuff posted about her on that subject.

Gloucester Hibs
18-03-2019, 01:06 PM

Well summarised. My thoughts too.

Hibs90
18-03-2019, 01:07 PM

I agree with you overall that she is doing a good job however failure to call out the sectarian singing of Rangers/Celtic and to an extent Hearts fans has been poor. As has been the loyalty points debacle.

I was also disappointed recently to find out the clubs stance on false journalism. I e-mailed asking about the situation with a certain reporter and newspaper (Jackson/Record) and was pretty disappointed with the response of 'we don't want to feed their ego and cause more uncertainty". So Jackson and his cronies will continue to dig at the club and fans at every opportunity.

Gatecrasher
18-03-2019, 01:08 PM
i think in general she has done a good job but i think she's been a bit rash and quick regarding the recent incidents to the point where normal well behaved fans might feel like they are in the fiting line as well when it comes to the statements being released. I also feel like there has been some issues that havent been addressed that have been issues since before her time at the club started for instance the catering and behind the goals are two prime examples of this, Hibs retweeted a Ross County tweet about their supporters bar a few weeks ago and their supporters bar looked a lot nicer than ours for example.

I think leaving these things unfixed has perhaps tainted her time slightly as we all thought things were finally going to get sorted from the fans experience side of things. Like i said though overall i feel she has been very good for the club.

JimBHibees
18-03-2019, 01:11 PM
A few nutters on twitter seem to be obsessed with her Rangers supporting past. It’s embarrassing reading some of the stuff posted about her on that subject.

They sound like bigots

AgentDaleCooper
18-03-2019, 01:12 PM
one element of it, i think, is that people really don't like the idea of holding themselves (individually or collectively) accountable. i for one think she is absolutely superb.

coco mc
18-03-2019, 01:15 PM
There seems to be a band of people on Twitter that have nothing good to say abut Hibs or Leeann, i have no idea what their agenda is or why they are so negative about our club.

I found myself on Friday actually firing of an email to Leeann just to say thanks for what she brings to the club especially over what has been a challenging few motnhs.

Sauzee04 wouldn’t you pm me her email address please ...it’s for something very positive
thanks GGTH

Hibernia&Alba
18-03-2019, 01:18 PM

Was she a Rangers fan?

#Dempsteroot :greengrin

Radium
18-03-2019, 01:24 PM
The removal of NL gave people an opportunity to reignite what seems to be an anti-board agenda. Thought it was handled as well as it could be and PH has started well.

Since then we have had two high profile incidents involving our support that again we mostly handled well.

I do think that the clubs stance on not commenting on the behaviour of visiting fans is starting to backfire. It wouldn’t have taken much to highlight that a TRIFC supporter was arrested for throwing a bottle and was no longer welcome at ER.

IMHO the whole engagement with the support needs looked at. The SLO role seems to be a tick box exercise. Fans Reps on the board doesn’t fill the gap because of their formal responsibilities/ limitations. It’s not about Singing Sections or Working Together groups - it should be everyone from supporters clubs to individual fans in whatever way they can be reached. This is not the CEOs role but they should have someone in place who can do it effectively.

Using the ticketing site when there is any level of demand is a marmite experience that has been regularly highlighted. I think that if we don’t have loyalty points then the ticket site should be fit for purpose. The club may have everything working when the Tynecastle Tickets go on sale, but if they don’t it will lead to more negative comments.

Hopefully these things improve but like many I believe that the club is well run but not beyond criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 01:37 PM
I think she's magnificent, . When I was a kid growing up in the late 60s and early 70s the only folk on the easter road payroll that I thought were ''magnificent'' were Pat Stanton, Jimmy O Rourke Arthur Duncan, and Alex Cropley...Worshiping the clubs board was unheard of.
It must be a new millennial internet thing where some fans adore the clubs CEO.
For the record, if you want to credit Leeanne for the Scottish Cup win as some of her aficionados like to do then you can also put the 3 years in the Championship down to her as well. I notice another thing her fans love to do is praise her for the way she cast out the ginger satan yet don't actually have a clue what happened due to the club going into silent mode for days after it. Thus allowing every journalist and pundit to ridicule and rip us apart.

Northernhibee
18-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Was she a Rangers fan?

#Dempsteroot :greengrin

Probably why she wasn’t on the pitch on 21st May.

FUMMIN

matty_f
18-03-2019, 01:41 PM
I agree with you overall that she is doing a good job however failure to call out the sectarian singing of Rangers/Celtic and to an extent Hearts fans has been poor. As has been the loyalty points debacle.

I was also disappointed recently to find out the clubs stance on false journalism. I e-mailed asking about the situation with a certain reporter and newspaper (Jackson/Record) and was pretty disappointed with the response of 'we don't want to feed their ego and cause more uncertainty". So Jackson and his cronies will continue to dig at the club and fans at every opportunity.

The Daily Record one is a good point as well, I don't think any of us are happy at the way in which they regularly take shots at us, and I'm definitely of the view that we should have (or should) call them out on it.

we are hibs
18-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Maybe more would have been said about the singing if that idiot didn't throw a glass bottle on the pitch or if that other idiot didn't run on the pitch, these incidents are worse than sectarian songs for sure.

Absolutely nothing would've been said even if those incidents hadn't happened. Hibs and Dempster are content at sweeping it under the carpet.

WhileTheChief..
18-03-2019, 01:48 PM
I like her and think she’s been great for us.

I do however think she handled the Lennon situation terribly and I’m not keen on the whole community club thing that she feels is so important.

She said herself that 5 years would be about right so I can see her leaving next summer at the latest.

Smartie
18-03-2019, 01:49 PM
When I was a kid growing up in the late 60s and early 70s the only folk on the easter road payroll that I thought were ''magnificent'' were Pat Stanton, Jimmy O Rourke Arthur Duncan, and Alex Cropley...Worshiping the clubs board was unheard of.
For the record, if you want to credit Leeanne for the Scottish Cup win as some of her aficionados like to do then you can also put the 3 years in the Championship down to her as well. I notice another thing her fans love to do is praise her for the way she cast out the ginger satan yet don't actually have a clue what happened due to the club going into silent mode for days after it. Thus allowing every journalist and pundit to ridicule and rip us apart.

How come many decades later I know the names of Harry Swan and Tom Hart?

Hibs have, sadly, suffered from some pretty questionable stewardship at that level throughout their history and when they've not been suffering from it they've been suffering from the aftermath of it. It's not a role that gets a lot of acclaim but they put in place the structure for all of our more recognisable figures to thrive and receive our acclaim.

You described some players who are justifiably appreciated by our fanbase for what they did for our club. None of them have ever been on the payroll whilst there has been a Scottish Cup sitting in the trophy cabinet.

Remember where we were when we had just been relegated at that game with Hamilton. That was LD's starting point. Surely no sane Hibs fan can begrudge her a bit of praise and credit for turning that point (starting with bulleting Butcher) via a Scottish Cup win to where we are now, in such a short space of time?

Pretty Boy
18-03-2019, 01:56 PM
I'm indifferent really.

She is a football administrator who is well paid to make decisions she believes are in the best interests of the business she is employed to run. Some of them I agree with, others I don't.

That's as far as it goes for me really. Who she supported previously is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It does her professional career no good to make decisions based on an emotional attachment to a rival business. Likewise the idea she would willfully make decisions that could harm the club out of little more than spite seems fanciful at best; it's in her best interests, in terms of both financial recompense and career advancement, that Hibs are successful.

I suppose you could argue she was put on such a pedestal early in her tenure simply for being competent that there is now a thought process among some that she is there to be got at given we have had a tougher spell than many have become used to in the last 2 or 3 years.

Hibernia&Alba
18-03-2019, 01:58 PM
How come many decades later I know the names of Harry Swan and Tom Hart?

Hibs have, sadly, suffered from some pretty questionable stewardship at that level throughout their history and when they've not been suffering from it they've been suffering from the aftermath of it. It's not a role that gets a lot of acclaim but they put in place the structure for all of our more recognisable figures to thrive and receive our acclaim.

You described some players who are justifiably appreciated by our fanbase for what they did for our club. None of them have ever been on the payroll whilst there has been a Scottish Cup sitting in the trophy cabinet.

Remember where we were when we had just been relegated at that game with Hamilton. That was LD's starting point. Surely no sane Hibs fan can begrudge her a bit of praise and credit for turning that point (starting with bulleting Butcher) via a Scottish Cup win to where we are now, in such a short space of time?

Very much agree. Of course there have been mistakes, but overall she has done a fine job, IMHO.

oldbutdim
18-03-2019, 01:59 PM
I'm indifferent really.

She is a football administrator who is well paid to make decisions she believes are in the best interests of the business she is employed to run. Some of them I agree with, others I don't.

That's as far as it goes for me really. Who she supported previously is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It does her professional career no good to make decisions based on an emotional attachment to a rival business. Likewise the idea she would willfully make decisions that could harm the club out of little more than spite seems fanciful at best; it's in her best interests, in terms of both financial recompense and career advancement, that Hibs are successful.

I suppose you could argue she was put on such a pedestal early in her tenure simply for being competent that there is now a thought process among some that she is there to be got at given we have had a tougher spell than many have become used to in the last 2 or 3 years.

:thumbsup:

I'm with Pretty Boy.

Yes, I realise how inappropriate that sounds, but what the hell.

CB_NO3
18-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Everyone will be in agreement that she has a done a fantastic job, however while she is very quick to blame Hibs fans for their bad behaviour(nothing wrong with that although I much preferred Rod's approach of sweeping it under the carpet) she doesn't have the guts to go after the media who have publicly lied about the club on more than one occasion.

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 02:03 PM

Am i reading your post correctly. Are you actually trying to say that Leanne Dempster has contributed more to Hibs than Stanton, O Rourke, Cropley, and Duncan because they never won a Scottish Cup?

Are you actually trying to equate Dempster's contribution to Pat Stanton's? Arguably our greatest ever player

Hibs98
18-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Absolutely nothing would've been said even if those incidents hadn't happened. Hibs and Dempster are content at sweeping it under the carpet.
Yip. She’s now using those incidents as an excuse for not mentioning the behaviour of away fans.

J-C
18-03-2019, 02:05 PM

Same people I'd guess who were greetin about Lennon ( the Celtic loving manager) leaving us, oh the irony.

Leeann has been a very good CEO, I think the fans reps were brought in so she could crack on with the job and they could pass on info etc to the fans.

The Lennon debacle has been a big contribution to all this latest seethe against her, weird that the abuse being doled out by the Twitter eejits is the same that got Lennon booted from ER.

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Everyone will be in agreement that she has a done a fantastic job, however while she is very quick to blame Hibs fans for their bad behaviour(nothing wrong with that although I much preferred Rod's approach of sweeping it under the carpet) she doesn't have the guts to go after the media who have publicly lied about the club on more than one occasion.

She did in her first PC after Lennon left.

Brian McLaughlin is still looking for his balls.

SteveHFC
18-03-2019, 02:09 PM
The Daily Record one is a good point as well, I don't think any of us are happy at the way in which they regularly take shots at us, and I'm definitely of the view that we should have (or should) call them out on it.

Agree

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Am i reading your post correctly. Are you actually trying to say that Leanne Dempster has contributed more to Hibs than Stanton, O Rourke, Cropley, and Duncan because they never won a Scottish Cup?

Are you actually trying to equate Dempster's contribution to Pat Stanton's? Arguably our greatest ever player

I'd take a wild guess.... :greengrin

Wilson
18-03-2019, 02:11 PM
She did in her first PC after Lennon left.

Brian McLaughlin is still looking for his balls.

Jesus.

Gary McKay would have more luck looking for his medals.

barcahibs
18-03-2019, 02:22 PM

Agree, but even here not everyone is going to agree on what her 'bad' work is.

There is absolutely no consensus among the support on the loyalty point issue - it's just that one side shouts louder than the other, she can't win on that one.

Saying the fans reps were appointed to take flack from her is hardly a neutral summing up of their origin and role. You could as easily say that they are there to build goodwill with the fans, but that certain elements of the support don't seem to understand (or want to understand) how they work. They've done some good IMO - but again the negative voices around them will always be louder because that's the nature of people. Once again, she can't win.

There's no proof whatsoever that she's refused to act upon the verbal abuse of our players, coaches etc. Yeah she hasn't had a back page in the tabloids about it - but these are the same newspapers that most of us want her to stop engaging with anyway.
And more to the point she's been hamstrung in those actions by her own supporters - it's hard to take the moral high ground on these issues when lately we've been amongst the worst culprits (and yeah I agree that bottles and fans on the pitch aren't equivalent to the sevco/celtc massed sectarian choirs but the media establishment, who control the message in this country, are making them equivalent). You can bet that any statement condemning sevco/celtc fans coming from Hibs right now would get a back page with pictures of Leeann, bottles, banners and fans on the pitch and the headline 'Hypocrite!'. We need to control ourselves first in order to give her the ammunition to fight back. She really can't win there.

I think she's doing a decent job. The only complaint I have is that I would have withdrawn co-operation form all the newspapers a long time ago. I don't see any need for us to pander to the so-called 'journalists' who parasitise our game. But even here I can sort of see things from her point of view, as long people buy these rags she has to have some level of co-operation with them (and for all I know there are league rules around allowing journalists access, I don't have the full picture.)

I like the steps towards us becoming a more community focused club - but I know there are posts elsewhere on this thread where folk disagree with that. To me that sums up the difficulty of her job. there are probably 100,000 people across the World who have a more than passing interest in Hibs - and the only thing that really unites us is the football, we have fans of every belief and every political persuasion, supporters and opposers of every cause imaginable, it's an impossible task to make them all happy.

Smartie
18-03-2019, 02:27 PM

No, that's not what I'm saying.

The players you list are correctly held in very high esteem by our fanbase, none held in higher esteem than Stanton.

A football club is about more than just players. There are board members, managers, coaches, fans, and all sorts of other people who make a club a success or a failure. If they do their stuff correctly, we get players closer in quality to the players you list or the players who won the cup for us. If they don't then there are a lot of Rowan Vines and James Collins' out there for us to waste hours watching.

Dempster being good or horrifically bad at her job has a major effect on the rest of the club. The chairman at the time of the Tornadoes deserves utmost respect for bringing footballers of that quality to our club, just as much as those players deserve respect.

Our Scottish Cup win was about so much more than just David Gray or Anthony Stokes. A huge number of people were getting things right at that time to set up the opportunity for us to win that cup, and one of those was Leeann Dempster. Some of us will be eternally grateful, and it beggars belief that it seems some already aren't.

matty_f
18-03-2019, 02:44 PM
When I was a kid growing up in the late 60s and early 70s the only folk on the easter road payroll that I thought were ''magnificent'' were Pat Stanton, Jimmy O Rourke Arthur Duncan, and Alex Cropley...Worshiping the clubs board was unheard of.

I think the Scottish Cup has to go down as an achievement under Dempster, in the same way that relegation will forever be a black mark against Petrie.

They take the good with the bad - yes we had three seasons in the Championship under Dempster and if you wanted to hold that against her (for want of a better phrase) then fair enough, but if you do you'd also need to accept that the Scottish Cup win was under her watch, as was Europe (twice and counting), and promotion etc.

It's a shame that everything has to be seen in extremes, that critical folk are seen as haters and people who offer praise as worshippers, where probably neither is the case.

JimBHibees
18-03-2019, 03:17 PM

Pretty sure I remember Tom Hart as being held in high regard in the 70s.

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 03:18 PM
I think the Scottish Cup has to go down as an achievement under Dempster, in the same way that relegation will forever be a black mark against Petrie.

They take the good with the bad - yes we had three seasons in the Championship under Dempster and if you wanted to hold that against her (for want of a better phrase) then fair enough, but if you do you'd also need to accept that the Scottish Cup win was under her watch, as was Europe (twice and counting), and promotion etc.

It's a shame that everything has to be seen in extremes, that critical folk are seen as haters and people who offer praise as worshippers, where probably neither is the case. I'm all about the players. I credit the Scottish Cup win and run in Europe down to the team who played in these games. I blame the relegation on the bottlers who lined up against Hamilton and who those who failed to even reach a playoff final.
I just don't understand how some fans can worship any business suit who will move onto to their next project once they are finished with this one. Keep your love for those on the park not in the boardroom.

Speedway
18-03-2019, 03:20 PM

I think there are two scenarios at play:

1. Fans with legitimate grievance

2. Dicks having a moan

1. Is fair play on the loyalty points issue and how club comms were silent when we were drifting at the end of the Lennon tenure. As we've seen, Lennon has cried buckets about his departure from Hibs and gets asked about us in every Celtic press conference. Wait a minute...

2. Everything else just about falls into this category from folk getting banned from the ground to the price of a nip in BTG. Many who accuse LD of waiting for her Rangers chance, are the same who placed their loyalty in Celtic daft Neil Lennon. They're morons. Best ignored.

Shout when we're losing, sing very quietly when we win. A portion of our support hate us to do well.

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Pretty sure I remember Tom Hart as being held in high regard in the 70s. I don't remember anyone ever saying they loved him. Appreciated yes but certainly not worshipped in the same way the younger generation do with Leanne Dempster. He certainly wasn't credited with winning the league and Dryborough clubs. Only the players got the plaudits for them.

WhileTheChief..
18-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Do you really believe that some Hibs fans prefer it when we’re doing badly?

I’ve seen this kinda chat a lot recently and just don’t get it. I think everyone that ever posts on here wants us to win (Hearts trolls excluded obv).

I mean seriously, do you actually think that or it it just a throw away line?

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Do you really believe that some Hibs fans prefer it when we’re doing badly?

I’ve seen this kinda chat a lot recently and just don’t get it. I think everyone that ever posts on here wants us to win (Hearts trolls excluded obv).

I mean seriously, do you actually think that or it it just a throw away line?

I don’t know if they prefer it but I think they revel in it.

Monts
18-03-2019, 03:29 PM
I'm all about the players. I credit the Scottish Cup win and run in Europe down to the team who played in these games. I blame the relegation on the bottlers who lined up against Hamilton and who those who failed to even reach a playoff final.
I just don't understand how some fans can worship any business suit who will move onto to their next project once they are finished with this one. Keep your love for those on the park not in the boardroom.
Those on the park, who never move on?

JimBHibees
18-03-2019, 03:30 PM
I don't remember anyone ever saying they loved him. Appreciated yes but certainly not worshipped in the same way the younger generation do with Leanne Dempster. He certainly wasn't credited with winning the league and Dryborough clubs. Only the players got the plaudits for them.

I dont think anyone worships LD more respects the work she has done and doesnt understand some of the personal abuse she seems to get.

Hibernia&Alba
18-03-2019, 03:32 PM
I dont think anyone worships LD more respects the work she has done and doesnt understand some of the personal abuse she seems to get.

You can be sure her successor, whoever it is, will get the same treatment. High heid yins are there to be shot down.

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Those on the park, who never move on? We support a football team not a firm of accountants. If the directors do it for you then go for it. I'm more into goals, tackles and all that sort of palaver.

JimBHibees
18-03-2019, 03:38 PM
You can be sure her successor, whoever it is, will get the same treatment. High heid yins are there to be shot down.

Well they shouldnt if they are in the main doing a decent job.

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 03:50 PM
I dont think anyone worships LD more respects the work she has done and doesn't understand some of the personal abuse she seems to get. When I read posts on here where folk are saying ''she is magnificent'' and another saying ''I'm in love with her'' i think worship is a more appropriate word than respect. When you look at how upset some folk get at the merest hint of criticism it looks over the top to me. As for personal abuse, I have not read a single thing where she has been personally abused. Not like some of the accusations Petrie and even farmer used to get thrown at them. Because somebody questions her decisions doesn't mean they are personally abusing her.

w pilton hibby
18-03-2019, 03:53 PM
I'm all about the players. I credit the Scottish Cup win and run in Europe down to the team who played in these games. I blame the relegation on the bottlers who lined up against Hamilton and who those who failed to even reach a playoff final.

If I'm not mistaken Pat Stanton, Jimmy O'Rourke, Arthur Duncan, and Alex Cropley all moved on from Hibs too.

Monts
18-03-2019, 03:54 PM
We support a football team not a firm of accountants. If the directors do it for you then go for it. I'm more into goals, tackles and all that sort of palaver.

I'm not fussed one way or the other. Just found it odd that one of the reasons for not showing her gratitude was because people in suits move on. Players do that too, and generally more frequently.

HibeeHibernian4
18-03-2019, 03:57 PM
I think a lot of it stems from the fact that she was so celebrated and heralded in her first couple of years here, that the backlash (when it came) was always going to be stronger as a result. If most Hibs fans were neutral on her, people would probably be less passionate in their dislike of her.

Personally, I think she's done good things for the team on the park, while being nothing short of a disaster for the fans off it. Once the success on the park came and the new/lapsed fans started filling the seats, she has not given a solitary ***** about fan experience.

Stubbornness on loyalty points, our disgraceful treatment at Ibrox in the December 2015 game, refusing the singing section to trial the FF Lower for a pishy game against Ross County in the League Cup and instead happily allowing the stand to lay half empty every Category B game. These problems were conveniently ignored by our fans when there was success on the park, but this season a lot have manifested themselves because of a downturn in results. She essentially didn't fix the massive holes in the roof while the sun was shining on Leith.

And lastly, the uncomfortable truth, because she's a woman. And, for an even smaller minority, a lesbian. There is a strong correlation between Dempster's fiercest opponents and the use of the homophobic slur 'dyke', and it's absolutely not on. If you want to criticise her, do so for her actions (or lack of), not her sexuality.

Bangkok Hibby
18-03-2019, 04:05 PM

I did exactly the same recently. Nobody is above criticism but a lot of this is unwarranted. Hibs are in a good place. I for one think shes done/doing a good job and hope she stays.
She told me she has a thick skin but all the sniping would wear anyone down.

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 04:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken Pat Stanton, Jimmy O'Rourke, Arthur Duncan, and Alex Cropley all moved on from Hibs too. And they are all club legends who are still revered by fans today. Players who brought unbridled joy to thousands of Hibs supporters. Them moving onto to other clubs is hardly the same as a director moving from one business project to another. Alex Cropleys move to Arsenal would have been a hard one to turn down I imagine.

Iggy Pope
18-03-2019, 04:13 PM
If I'm not mistaken Pat Stanton, Jimmy O'Rourke, Arthur Duncan, and Alex Cropley all moved on from Hibs too.

And a couple of the Famous Five. Peter Cormack, Peter Marinello, Mickey Weir, Kano, John Collins, John McGinn.
‘Bestie’ had been several places first too before that debut.

Mind you, I’ll not be firing an email off in worship to her either. She’s having a pretty crap season I think.

The Tubs
18-03-2019, 04:21 PM

I have to disagree. I’d put it down to Petrie, who I’m not out to attack, not being able to pick a manager. The fact that Dempster seems to have been successful every time means that I don’t want her to ever leave.

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 04:23 PM
And a couple of the Famous Five. Peter Cormack, Peter Marinello, Mickey Weir, Kano, John Collins, John McGinn.
‘Bestie’ had been several places first too before that debut.

Mind you, I’ll not be firing an email off in worship to her either. She’s having a pretty crap season I think. Its bizarre that folk can talk about Leanne
Dempster in the same breath as all these legends. ....its like Man Utd fans waxing lyrical about Best, Law, Charlton and Michael Glazier as if they are all on equal footing in the pantheons of Utd greatness

HibeeHibernian4
18-03-2019, 04:28 PM
I have to disagree. I’d put it down to Petrie, who I’m not out to attack, not being able to pick a manager. The fact that Dempster seems to have been successful every time means that I don’t want her to ever leave.

Everybody on this forum and across Scotland thought that Butcher was a good appointment and exactly the sort that Petrie hadn't made before. Let's not get revisionist about this.

JimBHibees
18-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Everybody on this forum and across Scotland thought that Butcher was a good appointment and exactly the sort that Petrie hadn't made before. Let's not get revisionist about this.

Not so sure they did his record was at best patchy.

The Tubs
18-03-2019, 04:35 PM

I didn’t and history shows that, once again, we made the wrong decision. You can’t say we have since then. By getting this right, Dempster’s succeeding in her job.

HibeeHibernian4
18-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Not so sure they did his record was at best patchy.

He had Inverness second in the table with a game in hand and two points clear of third place Aberdeen when he left for us.

He'd guided them to fourth the season before in a pretty decent top flight, and they were playing good football with Shinnie, Rooney etc.

It really is revisionist, he was an almost universally popular appointment when he came to us. It was seen as good ambition to take second place's manager and almost everybody was on board with it.

The 90+2
18-03-2019, 04:39 PM

I thought Butcher was a shocking appointment at the time.

Since452
18-03-2019, 04:44 PM
He had Inverness second in the table with a game in hand and two points clear of third place Aberdeen when he left for us.

He'd guided them to fourth the season before in a pretty decent top flight, and they were playing good football with Shinnie, Rooney etc.

It really is revisionist, he was an almost universally popular appointment when he came to us. It was seen as good ambition to take second place's manager and almost everybody was on board with it.

I was delighted when he got the job. Shows what i know.

JimBHibees
18-03-2019, 04:48 PM

Yes he was doing well at Inverness and had them playing well however there was always the question about going to a club where the expectations would be higher and there would be more pressure as his record at Coventry and Sunderland amongst others was awful.

HibeeHibernian4
18-03-2019, 04:48 PM
I was delighted when he got the job. Shows what i know.

In fairness, you had every right to be.

What we didn't count on was him and Malpas employing horrible bullying tactics that shot the team morale to pieces and started our slide down the table.

Smartie
18-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Its bizarre that folk can talk about Leanne
Dempster in the same breath as all these legends. ....its like Man Utd fans waxing lyrical about Best, Law, Charlton and Michael Glazier as if they are all on equal footing in the pantheons of Utd greatness

Most Man Utd fans will acknowledge the significant contribution made by the people who appointed Alex Ferguson and supported him through a rocky first few years whilst he made his mark on the club without there necessarily being a great deal of success on the park.

The fans would not have been able to enjoy the fantastic players they did in subsequent years if the "suits" had not done what they did at that point.

HFC93
18-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Good to see posters still spelling her name wrong.

Malthibby
18-03-2019, 05:11 PM

We should just call her Love Dempster & that problem goes away.
Have I mentioned that she's magnificent?
GG

Weegreenman
18-03-2019, 05:17 PM
I think I once wrote ( jokingly ) that I might be in love Leeann. ( I’m not really, just really happy with the job she’s doing/done)

Apparently that was one of the saddest posts ever to be written on the Hibs.net forum. Aye there’s folk gunning for her awrite! Idiots if ye ask me. I’ve been around a while and know a good thing when I see it. Long live Leeann :aok:

Phil MaGlass
18-03-2019, 05:19 PM
As I have just said on another post.. gutless and spineless against OF.. she could have came out and condemned huns and hertz after the **** NL had went through, but she kept quiet thats not f.n leadership. She has worked miracles while here but she seriously let herself. The club and the fans down with not saying anything.

The Harp Awakes
18-03-2019, 05:35 PM

She has done a lot of good at Hibs when you consider the state the Club was in, on her arrival. So any criticism has to be put into that context.

She has made 2 major errors in her tenure for me. The bit in bold above is the first thing she has got totally wrong. The sectarian abuse Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon have received at particularly Ibrox, but also at Tynecastle during her tenure was inexplicably ignored by her and the Club. To then come out double barrelled at the Hibs support, for recent indiscretions by a few individuals was always going to cause a reaction from the mainstream support. Contrastingly, when Steve Clarke called out the abuse he received at Ibrox, Killie backed their Manager right away. Good on them.

The other major misjudgement she and the Board have made, IMO that is, was rolling over and refusing to back a public inquiry into the way the football authorities dealt with the Rangers EBT scandal. An inquiry was a massive opportunity to get rid of the dinosaurs at the SFA, who continue to uphold their bias in our game in favour of the OF and retain their cloth ears on sectarianism.

Is she soft on Rangers, being an ex ST holder at Ibrox? That's the elephant in the room and no doubt there are some Hibs supporters who may think that due to her inaction on the above 2 fronts.

The 90+2
18-03-2019, 05:37 PM
I don’t think LD had any say or control over what her boss instructed the club to say and do over historical hun matters.

Dempster has also been on record saying the Scottish Cup Final was one of the greatest days in her entire life so unless she’s telling msssive porkies and sat in the echelons of Hampden with a sour puss with Warburton I don’t think she’s soft for the huns at allZ

The Harp Awakes
18-03-2019, 05:45 PM
As I have just said on another post.. gutless and spineless against OF.. she could have came out and condemned huns and hertz after the **** NL had went through, but she kept quiet thats not f.n leadership. She has worked miracles while here but she seriously let herself. The club and the fans down with not saying anything.

I was speaking to an ex Hearts assistant manager on Saturday, who was a paying supporter with his young grandson at the last Tynecastle derby. He was sitting in the main stand behind Neil Lennon when he got hit with the coin. He said the sectarian abuse NL was subjected to that night was horrendous.

Kato
18-03-2019, 05:45 PM

Almost.

Never liked him. Like him even less now, if that's possible.

Also didn't get the calls to get him by "almost everyone".

Stonewall
18-03-2019, 05:46 PM

Hard to take them seriously isn’t it. Not a big ask and a simple matter of courtesy.

The_Horde
18-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Some of the abuse she's taken has been unwarranted and is purely speculation. But some other stuff (the since1875 stuff most recently) is warranted and she doesn't do everything right as some would have you believe.

I think she deserves praise for lots of stuff but she isn't as immune from criticism as some on here would have you believe either.

The club do make mistakes, it can't be rosy all of the time.

The Baldmans Comb
18-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Dempster failed to back Stubbs and then Lennon over the sectarian abuse they sufferred and then for reasons still unknown dropped the getting Sevco off the hook statement bombshell out of absolutely nowhere.

Then there was a complete failure to communicate over the loyalty points and HSL and the procedure for selling of cup final tickets resulted in 6 hours queues and this season online ticketing has been shocking.

Heavy handed at best seems to the fairest way to describe falling out with "Since 1875" and leadership skills and communication skills were very much lacking during the Lennon fiasco which left Hibs open to ridicule eventually issuing a statement that " the manager had done absolutely nothing wrong" which contradicted everything that had happened.

This doesn't mean she is a poor Chief Executive but its decidely a mixed bag.

Captain Trips
18-03-2019, 06:02 PM
Leeann has and is doing a great job at the club. That is all there is to it IMO.

Borderhibbie76
18-03-2019, 06:04 PM
Some of the abuse she's taken has been unwarranted and is purely speculation. But some other stuff (the since1875 stuff most recently) is warranted and she doesn't do everything right as some would have you believe.

I think she deserves praise for lots of stuff but she isn't as immune from criticism as some on here would have you believe either.

The club do make mistakes, it can't be rosy all of the time.100% this she is not the saint many make her out to be on here. The loyalty points fiasco was a massive issue still not resolved a long with the ticketing shambles online and not this with since 1875. Yes she's done a lot right but she's not exempt from criticism neither

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

H18S NX
18-03-2019, 06:05 PM
I'm indifferent really.

Thanks Pretty boy,my feelings exactly,although i am not articulate enough to put it into words.

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Hard to take them seriously isn’t it. Not a big ask and a simple matter of courtesy. its a disgusting lack of respect and as far as I'm concerned anyone who cant spell Ms. Dempster's name correctly is not a proper Hibs fan.
I don't care if you have followed Hibs from Clydebank to Trinidad if you can't get the CEOs name right then your obviously a marron puddle drinker..........Just for the record that post is pure sarcasm at its lowest level of wit

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2019, 06:23 PM
its a disgusting lack of respect and as far as I'm concerned anyone who cant spell Ms. Dempster's name correctly is not a proper Hibs fan.
I don't care if you have followed Hibs from Clydebank to Trinidad if you can't get the CEOs name right then your obviously a marron puddle drinker

You might want to go back and check your posts. 😉

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 06:27 PM
You might want to go back and check your posts. 😉 :aok:

matty_f
18-03-2019, 06:32 PM

The club do make mistakes, it can't be rosy all of the time.
I think that's how a lot of us see it.

BSEJVT
18-03-2019, 06:36 PM

So she is to be held responsible for something (the relegation and dismantling of an already truly honking group of players) that occurred before she arrived?

It wasn’t by any means a given that we would get out of there in years 1 or 2

On that basis why don’t you hold her responsible for the bubonic plague also?

Do you really think there was any realistic prospect of our avoiding the ranting obsessed media backlash anyway?

We could have sacked Lennon for drowning kittens in the bath (he didn’t afaik by the way) and still got a similar kicking in the press.

It’s not often someone’s agenda is as clear this early in their posting career, but yours certainly is

McD
18-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Most Man Utd fans will acknowledge the significant contribution made by the people who appointed Alex Ferguson and supported him through a rocky first few years whilst he made his mark on the club without there necessarily being a great deal of success on the park.

The fans would not have been able to enjoy the fantastic players they did in subsequent years if the "suits" had not done what they did at that point.

David Gill at Man Utd and David dien at arsenal have both been long lamented after leaving those clubs

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 06:38 PM
So she is to be held responsible for something (the relegation and dismantling of an already truly honking group of players) that occurred before she arrived?

Do you really think there was any realistic prospect of our avoiding the ranting obsessed media backlash anyway?

We could have sacked Lennon for drowning kittens in the bath (he didn’t afaik by the way) and still got a similar kicking in the press.

It’s not often someone’s agenda is as clear this early in their posting career, but yours certainly is What do you reckon my agenda is?
For the record, i don't really care about any director. I just dont understand the hero worship

Allant1981
18-03-2019, 06:41 PM

It’s not often someone’s agenda is as clear this early in their posting career, but yours certainly is

He is best ignored

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2019, 06:41 PM
:aok:

I counted 5.

How are the "marron" puddles? 😋

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 06:42 PM
He is best ignored Have you been talking to my wife

Besties Debut
18-03-2019, 06:53 PM
I counted 5.

How are the "marron" puddles? 😋 I was joking. I dont really think that Hibs fans who can't spell LDs name correctly are ****bos

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2019, 06:56 PM
I was joking. I dont really think that Hibs fans who can't spell LDs name correctly are ****bos

You should use smilies.

FTR, I agree with you that not spelling her name properly shows a lack of respect.

Wilson
18-03-2019, 07:00 PM
You should use smilies.

FTR, I agree with you that not spelling her name properly shows a lack of respect.

A rose by any other name....

still didn't back Lennon over sectarianism :slipper:

hhibs
18-03-2019, 07:03 PM
:thumbsup:

I'm with Pretty Boy.

Yes, I realise how inappropriate that sounds, but what the hell.

+1

marinello59
18-03-2019, 07:04 PM
A rose by any other name....

still didn't back Lennon over sectarianism :slipper:

How do you know she didn’t back him? Do you know what conversations they had? What conversations where heldbetween our club and others? What action Lennon himself wanted taken?

The 90+2
18-03-2019, 07:05 PM
How do you know she didn’t back him? Do you know what conversations they had? What conversations where heldbetween our club and others? What action Lennon himself wanted taken?

Publicly he wasn’t backed by the club. They never came out and called the horrific abuse as to what it was. Disgusting bigotry.

marinello59
18-03-2019, 07:08 PM
Publicly he wasn’t backed by the club. They never came out and called the horrific abuse as to what it was. Disgusting bigotry.

It was disgusting bigotry.
What did Lennon himself want the club to do? Anybody know? Saying she didn’t back him suggests she ignored his wishes.

weecounty hibby
18-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Leeann is doing a very good job as CEO and leader of a very complex organisation. She will make mistakes and will take decisions that are not universally popular but she will be making those decisions for what she believes is the best for the club.
Criticism is fine and I'm sure she would expect it but some of the personal abuse is beyond pathetic from people who have a real agenda (not aimed at folk on here but sometimes some do get a bit close). Her gender, sexuality or the team she used to support don't come into it for me and neither should it for others. She cut the Hun allocation and a lot of folk moaned about loss of revenue, she gives them the whole stand and she is pandering to them. Sometimes she just can't win. Remember the Scott Allan saga with the Huns. She played a blinder and we got a deal that ended with Dylan and Hendo and a Scottish cup win. She certainly wasn't pandering to them then.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-03-2019, 07:18 PM
Leeann is doing a very good job as CEO and leader of a very complex organisation. She will make mistakes and will take decisions that are not universally popular but she will be making those decisions for what she believes is the best for the club.
Criticism is fine and I'm sure she would expect it but some of the personal abuse is beyond pathetic from people who have a real agenda (not aimed at folk on here but sometimes some do get a bit close). Her gender, sexuality or the team she used to support don't come into it for me and neither should it for others. She cut the Hun allocation and a lot of folk moaned about loss of revenue, she gives them the whole stand and she is pandering to them. Sometimes she just can't win. Remember the Scott Allan saga with the Huns. She played a blinder and we got a deal that ended with Dylan and Hendo and a Scottish cup win. She certainly wasn't pandering to them then.

Kinda makes you wonder what folks would get up to without tinternet... its ripe for contrarians just being obtuse but often obscures the genuine folks.

Winston Ingram
18-03-2019, 07:25 PM
I’ve challenged a few on this on Twitter as well but they’re completely incapable of a reasoned response.

It seems to be the Ponzi Scheme mob from a couple of years ago who seem to be bitter about the fact she made them look like complete ********s.

Topographic Hibby
18-03-2019, 07:31 PM
I was delighted when he got the job. Shows what i know.Me too. What do I know too.....:confused:

jacomo
18-03-2019, 09:09 PM
Leeann has and is doing a great job at the club. That is all there is to it IMO.

:agree:

JimBHibees
19-03-2019, 05:55 AM
I’ve challenged a few on this on Twitter as well but they’re completely incapable of a reasoned response.

It seems to be the Ponzi Scheme mob from a couple of years ago who seem to be bitter about the fact she made them look like complete ********s.

That explains it.

Brizo
19-03-2019, 06:01 AM
I think a lot of it stems from the fact that she was so celebrated and heralded in her first couple of years here, that the backlash (when it came) was always going to be stronger as a result. If most Hibs fans were neutral on her, people would probably be less passionate in their dislike of her.

Personally, I think she's done good things for the team on the park, while being nothing short of a disaster for the fans off it. Once the success on the park came and the new/lapsed fans started filling the seats, she has not given a solitary ***** about fan experience.

Stubbornness on loyalty points, our disgraceful treatment at Ibrox in the December 2015 game, refusing the singing section to trial the FF Lower for a pishy game against Ross County in the League Cup and instead happily allowing the stand to lay half empty every Category B game. These problems were conveniently ignored by our fans when there was success on the park, but this season a lot have manifested themselves because of a downturn in results. She essentially didn't fix the massive holes in the roof while the sun was shining on Leith.

And lastly, the uncomfortable truth, because she's a woman. And, for an even smaller minority, a lesbian. There is a strong correlation between Dempster's fiercest opponents and the use of the homophobic slur 'dyke', and it's absolutely not on. If you want to criticise her, do so for her actions (or lack of), not her sexuality.

LD has done a great job turning the club around on the park and our success , based on the managerial appointments she has made, is there for everyone to see. She is first and foremost a business CEO with a set of skills she could take to any industry.

While I don't think she has been a "disaster" off the pitch I have been disappointed with various things she hasn't done on the fans behalf. Re the Ibrox treatment, as I said on another thread, a former Rangers fan denouncing Rangers fans behaviour would have sent a much more powerful message and would have been picked up by a much wider audience, than leaving it to Frank Dougan to comment.

LD is doing a very good job at Hibs but imo that's what it is for her, a job. I get the impression she views everything from a purely business perspective, which means that fighting our corner isn't one of her priorities.

Slavers
19-03-2019, 06:19 AM
Leeann is our very own Iron Lady!

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2019, 06:24 AM

A Tory as well as a Rangers fan? Hang on a minute :greengrin

.Sean.
19-03-2019, 06:43 AM
Some of the comments I’ve read, particularly on social media, towards LD recently are a disgrace.

I’ve had a barney on Facebook with some Irish boy as I had a go at him for saying ‘get this Hun out of our club’. Not ****ing on.

He’s probably in the weird Lennon FC fanboy club by the look of it actually. All very Celtic-y.

green with envy
19-03-2019, 07:23 AM

Please don't refer LD as that.

Steve20
19-03-2019, 08:06 AM
We're in a far better position than we were when she arrived. And to be honest, it's results on the pitch that count. Not what fans are allowed/not allowed to do.

Besties Debut
19-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Leeann is our very own Iron Lady! Are you typing that with a straight face?

matty_f
19-03-2019, 08:15 AM
We're in a far better position than we were when she arrived. And to be honest, it's results on the pitch that count. Not what fans are allowed/not allowed to do.

Results are far better, I don't think it's correct to say that what happens with fans doesn't count though - in order for the club to thrive it needs performance on the pitch and the support onside with it to continue funding it.

Personally, I think the loyalty points have caused a real bit of ill feeling but I also think it's a bit of a red herring - there are only a couple of games where everyone who wants to go might not get a ticket,loyalty points would solve that for some and leave others unhappy. The rest of the time it's an unnecessary cost (or could at least be seen as such, appreciating that not everyone will agree with that).

The other issues regarding commenting on other teams is surely more a gripe than a reason for a proper grievance, particularly because we don't know what Lennon or Stubbs wanted to happen, and we don't know what has happened behind closed doors.

Lennon's exit might also have played a part, and I can understand why some folk were annoyed at that, but at the same time clearly something unpalatable happened which had to be dealt with, and ultimately no one individual (be that Dempster or Lennon) is bigger than the club.

Action was taken and we look to be in a better position now. I don't see how Dempster could be made the scapegoat for what happened.

Besties Debut
19-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Results are far better, I don't think it's correct to say that what happens with fans doesn't count though - in order for the club to thrive it needs performance on the pitch and the support onside with it to continue funding it.

Personally, I think the loyalty points have caused a real bit of ill feeling but I also think it's a bit of a red herring - there are only a couple of games where everyone who wants to go might not get a ticket,loyalty points would solve that for some and leave others unhappy. The rest of the time it's an unnecessary cost (or could at least be seen as such, appreciating that not everyone will agree with that).

The other issues regarding commenting on other teams is surely more a gripe than a reason for a proper grievance, particularly because we don't know what Lennon or Stubbs wanted to happen, and we don't know what has happened behind closed doors.

Lennon's exit might also have played a part, and I can understand why some folk were annoyed at that, but at the same time clearly something unpalatable happened which had to be dealt with, and ultimately no one individual (be that Dempster or Lennon) is bigger than the club.

Action was taken and we look to be in a better position now. I don't see how Dempster could be made the scapegoat for what happened. Yesterday we had posters trying to say that her contribution to Hibs rates alongside Pat Stanton's and Arthur Duncans. Someone even said that she has won a Scottish cup and they haven't. Dont you think when you read such outlandish claims, that folk who were not fussed about her, either way, start looking for reasons to shoot her down? Not so much an attack on her but an attack on the nutters making the claims in the first place.

CropleyWasGod
19-03-2019, 08:29 AM
Yesterday we had posters trying to say that her contribution to Hibs rates alongside Pat Stanton's and Arthur Duncans. Someone even said that she has won a Scottish cup and they haven't. Dont you think when you read such outlandish claims, that folk who were not fussed about her, either way, start looking for reasons to shoot her down? Not so much an attack on her but an attack on the nutters making the claims in the first place.

We didn't. That's the way you perceived it, though.

CapitalGreen
19-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Yesterday we had posters trying to say that her contribution to Hibs rates alongside Pat Stanton's and Arthur Duncans. Someone even said that she has won a Scottish cup and they haven't. Dont you think when you read such outlandish claims, that folk who were not fussed about her, either way, start looking for reasons to shoot her down? Not so much an attack on her but an attack on the nutters making the claims in the first place.

Nobody actually said that though.

Onceinawhile
19-03-2019, 09:05 AM
Funny how when things are going badly on the pitch none of the off field stuff matters, but when they're going well on the pitch, it's of top importance.

Let's face it, people just like to whinge.

I'm Spartacus
19-03-2019, 09:06 AM
In my opinion, you CANNOT pander to football fans when trying to run the club, yes you can listen to certain things regarding experience, but in the whole you need to be strong and clear how you want the club to be run.

ALL football fans are a disaster when it comes to opinions on the running of their club!

matty_f
19-03-2019, 09:22 AM

No, I think that logic is mental, are you saying folk go "someone's getting some praise, let's shoot them down?"

Those claims are only outlandish if you take them out of context, by the way - as part of the discussion they make sense. Pulled out in isolation of course the statements look ridiculous.

HFC93
19-03-2019, 09:27 AM
In my opinion, you CANNOT pander to football fans when trying to run the club, yes you can listen to certain things regarding experience, but in the whole you need to be strong and clear how you want the club to be run.

ALL football fans are a disaster when it comes to opinions on the running of their club!

Aye, very true. If I was chief exec at Hibs we'd end up like one of those Italian clubs that go through 5 managers a season. I think all football fans are irrational when it comes to their own club.

The Green Goblin
19-03-2019, 09:57 AM

No she’s not. She has empathy and cares about people.

Caversham Green
19-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Are you typing that with a straight face?

I'm guessing he's more likely to be using his fingers.

Mikey
19-03-2019, 10:01 AM

Would it matter which "suit" was in the boardroom or would you just dislike them anyway?

DarlingtonHibee
19-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Funny how when things are going badly on the pitch none of the off field stuff matters, but when they're going well on the pitch, it's of top importance.

Let's face it, people just like to whinge.
Amazing how many experts we have on being a ceo.

Leeann is first class.

Smartie
19-03-2019, 10:15 AM

If the conclusion above is what you draw from yesterday's posts then it is hard to see the point in debating anything with you.

CropleyWasGod
19-03-2019, 10:22 AM
I'm guessing he's more likely to be using his fingers.

That's the answer to the question....

Do you use your Dictaphone?

G B Young
19-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Leeann Dempster is, IMHO, the best 'signing' this club has made in many, many years and I hope she's here for many more. Prior to her arrival we were a club going nowhere, rattling around in a first-class stadium many folk were starting to say we could never fill. She has brought real clout to our club and (along with Neil Lennon during his first couple of seasons) injected a belief that we can be consistently successful and helped to attract back thousands of missing fans. Sure, when you set your sights high and fail to hit those heights you have to accept the flak, but I'd rather be moaning about not finishing second than fretting about relegation.

Anyone claiming she doesn't share the fans' passions just needs to watch the Time For Heroes DVD where she recalls going mental in the dressing room with Dylan McGeouch after the 2-2 draw at Tynie having abandoned her seat in the directors box before the final whistle because she couldn't face seeing us lose to the yams.

Crazyhorse
19-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Mine too.

Smartie
19-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Leeann Dempster is, IMHO, the best 'signing' this club has made in many, many years and I hope she's here for many more. Prior to her arrival we were a club going nowhere, rattling around in a first-class stadium many folk were starting to say we could never fill. She has brought real clout to our club and (along with Neil Lennon during his first couple of seasons) injected a belief that we can be consistently successful and helped to attract back thousands of missing fans. Sure, when you set your sights high and fail to hit those heights you have to accept the flak, but I'd rather be moaning about not finishing second than fretting about relegation.

It'll also be interesting to see how - as a club - we weather this first bump in the road for a while.

After Hearts insolvency shenanigans it was all plain sailing for a while, seeing them promoted then finishing third. They then went into self-destruct mode for a while, had the Cathro era and the jury is out as to whether they have really emerged from it. They're burning a lot of cash to have a half-finished stand and a team scrambling about fighting it out with us for 5th place.

We were on a constant upward trajectory since relegation and this season has seen our first great adversity for a while. We've lost the core of a great team and a very popular manager, but we now seem to be emerging from that.

If we can hang onto a good number of our season ticket holders and finish 4th or 5th then that has to go down as a decent outcome for what was a tricky season of transition.

It might not have turned out like this. That Motherwell away game and being 8th in the league and looking down wasn't all that long ago.

G B Young
19-03-2019, 10:41 AM

Curious how you started a thread on here asking 'older' folk for memories of George Best's time at Hibs. I'd have thought if you're old enough to have enjoyed watching players like Stanton and O'Rourke you'd recall Best's time at ER well enough.

GreenOnions
19-03-2019, 10:42 AM
No-one is perfect and I'm sure Leeann has made mistakes. However - the criticism of her seems to me to be a classic example of why some clubs/organisations succeed while others under-achieve. IMO - when you look at the club's progress since she took her position it's very difficult to come to any conclusion other than that she has been good for our club.

Internal bickering and mud-slinging at under-achieving clubs can often occur even after significant improvements have been made. In terms of psychology I feel it could fall into the "fear of success" category. Those who become anxious at the thought of success may seek to undermine or even sabotage it rather than pursue it. For them the underachievement that results from internal bickering and constant changes in senior personnel can be a comforting leveller and is preferable to risking the psychological highs/lows of believing in themselves and "going for it".

I actually haven't talked to or met a Hibs fan who thinks that Leeann has not been successful at Hibs. Maybe I don't meet enough Hibs fans but it leads me to believe that those criticising or Chief Exec are small in number and loud of voice.

Just a thought.

The Green Goblin
19-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Curious how you started a thread on here asking 'older' folk for memories of George Best's time at Hibs. I'd have thought if you're old enough to have enjoyed watching players like Stanton and O'Rourke you'd recall Best's time at ER well enough.

:faf:

Nice one.

JimBHibees
19-03-2019, 11:20 AM

:greengrin

JimBHibees
19-03-2019, 11:21 AM
No-one is perfect and I'm sure Leeann has made mistakes. However - the criticism of her seems to me to be a classic example of why some clubs/organisations succeed while others under-achieve. IMO - when you look at the club's progress since she took her position it's very difficult to come to any conclusion other than that she has been good for our club.

Internal bickering and mud-slinging at under-achieving clubs can often occur even after significant improvements have been made. In terms of psychology I feel it could fall into the "fear of success" category. Those who become anxious at the thought of success may seek to undermine or even sabotage it rather than pursue it. For them the underachievement that results from internal bickering and constant changes in senior personnel can be a comforting leveller and is preferable to risking the psychological highs/lows of believing in themselves and "going for it".

I actually haven't talked to or met a Hibs fan who thinks that Leeann has not been successful at Hibs. Maybe I don't meet enough Hibs fans but it leads me to believe that those criticising or Chief Exec are small in number and loud of voice.

Just a thought.

Nail on the head IMO.

G B Young
19-03-2019, 11:53 AM

Just a thought.

Or just rather sad yams spending their time on here trying to stir things up while attempting to pass themselves off as Hibs fans.

Mikey
19-03-2019, 12:19 PM

Looks like someone's blown their cover :hilarious

wookie70
19-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Leeann has definitely been good for the club and she has definitely exceeded in quite a few areas. Her managerial appointments have been good, we have won a trophy, player recruitment has been better albeit it slumped under Lennon and the plan she had is sound and has generally worked. I think she handled Lennon's departure well and did a good job managing the period where we were managerless where we brought in signings that look better than those Lennon had chosen previously. In terms of the business of football I think she has done very well.

When it comes to fitba fans though I think she has a few blind spots. The Loyalty Point issue was terribly handled with poor information and reasons that didn't really make much sense. The continued underperformance of the ticketing site and then having physical queuing brought back and out again with the queuing being poorly handled. She seems to have answered loads of fans emails initially but now not so much and generally we only hear from her when she has an issue with fans or she wants her money. I bought into her vision as she explained it well and it made total sense. She needs to get back to that way of communicating and making sure fans continue to get her vision and any tweaks and changes along the way.

Stupid decisions like stopping fans exiting the West round to Sainsburys when that has never been an issue for the smaller games and allowing them to walk around the ticket office and out the same way.

I like her stance on those disgracing the club my invading the pitch and throwing objects but I think she is probably wrong in withdrawing facilities for 1875(assuming that group are behaving appropriately which they seem to be)

In summary she has done a great job and I hope she continues to do so even if she doesn't get everything right, who does.

Besties Debut
19-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Curious how you started a thread on here asking 'older' folk for memories of George Best's time at Hibs. I'd have thought if you're old enough to have enjoyed watching players like Stanton and O'Rourke you'd recall Best's time at ER well enough. You're getting me mixed up with someone else. I've never started any thread on George Best.

Monts
19-03-2019, 01:30 PM

I believe that thread was started by MackTheKnife

matty_f
19-03-2019, 01:31 PM
I believe that thread was started by MackTheKnife

Definitely wasn't Bestie's Debut. :agree:

proud_and_green
19-03-2019, 05:11 PM

Just a thought.

I think this tends to be the nature of most emotive topics in the internet/social media age. There will be a bunch at one extreme and generally another bunch at the other extreme. Both of those groups will be very vocal but neither will tend to be representative of the majority. The large group occupying the ground in between doesn't have a huge axe to grind so will not tend to be vocal therefore the picture is distorted by those two extremes appearing to represent the whole of the debate.

The problem is the extremes can start to gain momentum and appear to reflect a truth that doesn't actually exist. A chap called Edmund Burke said that "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". I am not suggesting for a moment that there is evil afoot here, mischief perhaps, but there is a parallel in that a non representative view could prevail if it is perceived to be the only view.

I do think the following quote from Shakespeare is appropriate though "The empty vessel makes the loudest noise".

Ps. I think that Leanne is doing a grand job!

Sammy7nil
19-03-2019, 10:29 PM
I think this tends to be the nature of most emotive topics in the internet/social media age. There will be a bunch at one extreme and generally another bunch at the other extreme. Both of those groups will be very vocal but neither will tend to be representative of the majority. The large group occupying the ground in between doesn't have a huge axe to grind so will not tend to be vocal therefore the picture is distorted by those two extremes appearing to represent the whole of the debate.

The problem is the extremes can start to gain momentum and appear to reflect a truth that doesn't actually exist. A chap called Edmund Burke said that "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". I am not suggesting for a moment that there is evil afoot here, mischief perhaps, but there is a parallel in that a non representative view could prevail if it is perceived to be the only view.

I do think the following quote from Shakespeare is appropriate though "The empty vessel makes the loudest noise".

Most quotes on the internet are false George Washington President USA :wink:

Weir07
20-03-2019, 06:11 AM
Leeann has definitely been good for the club and she has definitely exceeded in quite a few areas. Her managerial appointments have been good, we have won a trophy, player recruitment has been better albeit it slumped under Lennon and the plan she had is sound and has generally worked. I think she handled Lennon's departure well and did a good job managing the period where we were managerless where we brought in signings that look better than those Lennon had chosen previously. In terms of the business of football I think she has done very well.

When it comes to fitba fans though I think she has a few blind spots. The Loyalty Point issue was terribly handled with poor information and reasons that didn't really make much sense. The continued underperformance of the ticketing site and then having physical queuing brought back and out again with the queuing being poorly handled. She seems to have answered loads of fans emails initially but now not so much and generally we only hear from her when she has an issue with fans or she wants her money. I bought into her vision as she explained it well and it made total sense. She needs to get back to that way of communicating and making sure fans continue to get her vision and any tweaks and changes along the way.

Stupid decisions like stopping fans exiting the West round to Sainsburys when that has never been an issue for the smaller games and allowing them to walk around the ticket office and out the same way.

I like her stance on those disgracing the club my invading the pitch and throwing objects but I think she is probably wrong in withdrawing facilities for 1875(assuming that group are behaving appropriately which they seem to be)

In summary she has done a great job and I hope she continues to do so even if she doesn't get everything right, who does.

A well balanced and thought out post. No one is beyond criticism but the difference between the club before Leeann took over and now is night and day, the positives far out weigh any negatives.

WhileTheChief..
20-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Looks like someone's blown their cover :hilarious

Looks more like someone is due someone an apology!!

Bangkok Hibby
20-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Excellent post. I agree

Hibernia&Alba
20-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Looks more like someone is due someone an apology!!

:agree:

proud_and_green
20-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Most quotes on the internet are false George Washington President USA :wink:[emoji4]

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk