PDA

View Full Version : post split fixtures

steelendhibs
17-03-2019, 10:43 PM
After last year's drama, I was having a look at the permutations as we approach the split this year. As things stand, Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock have fixtures due after the split that allow the 2 home and away against each team in the top six and to have 19 home and 19 away games. If the same was applied to the two Edinburgh teams Hibs would play 18 games at home, while hearts would play 20. Looks like Hibs will just have to be the unlucky ones this season. I am sure we have benefitted from this eventuality in previous years

Eyrie
17-03-2019, 10:57 PM
We're due home games with Celtc and Hearts. On the other hand we've already played Aberdeen and Sevco twice at Easter Road with Kilmarnock due to visit again after the international break.

So it makes sense for us to have a total of eighteen home games this season. Frustrating but it beats being in the bottom six.

steelendhibs
17-03-2019, 11:06 PM
Suppose the only thing they could do is give us another home game against rangers. Rangers could be pretty clear in 2nd place by then so shouldn't make a difference to them, whereas we could be playing for any places between 6th and 3rd or 4th.

eastender1
17-03-2019, 11:08 PM
We're due home games with Celtc and Hearts. On the other hand we've already played Aberdeen and Sevco twice at Easter Road with Kilmarnock due to visit again after the international break.

So it makes sense for us to have a total of eighteen home games this season. Frustrating but it beats being in the bottom six.

I thought if you were top 6 the previous season you were guaranteed the right mix of home and away games?

MacGruber
17-03-2019, 11:09 PM
Need to finish in top 6 first and worry about it then.

Livi away is very difficult as we have found out as much as hearts and rangers etc. Killie are a good team and be a hard game. Hearts away our record there goes before us.

steelendhibs
17-03-2019, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=eastender1;5743159]I thought if you were top 6 the previous season you were guaranteed the right mix of home and away

Do you mean the fixtures would just be reversed from the previous seasons post split fixtures?

steelendhibs
17-03-2019, 11:11 PM
Need to finish in top 6 first and worry about it then.

Livi away is very difficult as we have found out as much as hearts and rangers etc. Killie are a good team and be a hard game. Hearts away our record there goes before us.

Very true!!! It would take something quite drastic for us not to make it now though. One of Liv, well or saints would have to go on some run with us not picking up a point

hibbysam
17-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Incredible that they’ve managed it again, with it currently being the same top 6 as last year, and it is meant to be seeded based on that.. doesn’t make any sense at all.

davhibby
18-03-2019, 12:29 AM
It's because they had to mess about with some of the fixtures for the home and aways so that everyone didn't end up needing to play rangers away the same way that we were pretty much all due to get them at home post split last year

Diclonius
18-03-2019, 12:47 AM
We'll be home to Rangers to avoid giving us an unfair advantage v Aberdeen or Kilmarnock. Or we'll get shafted if we're 6th. One or the other.

DTS
18-03-2019, 12:52 AM
Going into the split in 5th would be a big advantage to trying avoid being the team shafted with the fixtures, that being said I can’t see them doing it to hearts twice in a row

hibbysam
18-03-2019, 03:23 AM
It's because they had to mess about with some of the fixtures for the home and aways so that everyone didn't end up needing to play rangers away the same way that we were pretty much all due to get them at home post split last year

My point is though it happened last season as we were newly promoted so seeded to finish bottom 6, and killie for the first time in ages finished top 6 so the projected fixtures after the split were thrown off.

We are told seedings are based on last years standings, and fixtures set in accordance to this, yet here we are with the exact same issue after the exact same standings.

It shouldn’t be a case of just reversing fixtures from last year, apart from derbies, they should be working out based on expected finishing positions.

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2019, 07:30 AM
I thought if you were top 6 the previous season you were guaranteed the right mix of home and away

Do you mean the fixtures would just be reversed from the previous seasons post split fixtures?

They’ve said in the past that they assume the top 6 will be the top 6 from the previous season - problems arise when a Motherwell or St Johnstone make it.

Given that this years top 6 is likely to be the same as last years then this should be the first season when ever win plays an equal 19/19?

Springbank
18-03-2019, 09:59 AM
From a club coffers point of view, 2 home games v hearts & Celtc would generate more fresh pay-at-the-gate income than 3 bottom six games versus Livi, St Johnstone and St Mirren

Steven79
18-03-2019, 12:09 PM
They’ve said in the past that they assume the top 6 will be the top 6 from the previous season - problems arise when a Motherwell or St Johnstone make it.

Given that this years top 6 is likely to be the same as last years then this should be the first season when ever win plays an equal 19/19?

That's not going to happen as we are due to play the current top five teams.

Home: Celtic & Hearts

Away: Rangers, Killie & Aberdeen

If we finish in the bottom half and assuming St Johnstone finish top 6.

Home: Dundee, St Mirren & Livingston
Away: Hamilton & Motherwell

So unless Rangers come back to Easter Road for a third time (Poor chumps have nothing left to play for anyway) we are missing out on a home game.

ballengeich
18-03-2019, 12:27 PM
My point is though it happened last season as we were newly promoted so seeded to finish bottom 6, and killie for the first time in ages finished top 6 so the projected fixtures after the split were thrown off.

We are told seedings are based on last years standings, and fixtures set in accordance to this, yet here we are with the exact same issue after the exact same standings.

It shouldn’t be a case of just reversing fixtures from last year, apart from derbies, they should be working out based on expected finishing positions.

I agree. With a split there is always the possibility of teams getting an 18/20 home/away allocation, but basing fixtures on last season's positions makes it less likely. In this case the SPFL haven't even been able to stick to their own guidelines.

My guess is that one of Rangers, Aberdeen or Killie will be asked to visit us for a third time.