PDA

View Full Version : Formation for next season

04Sauzee
16-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Heckingbottom is known to favour 4-4-2 but the 4-5-1 deployed in the 2nd half against The Rangers and again today worked very well and would certainly suit Scott Allan. I wonder what will be his favoured set up next season.

GreenCastle
16-03-2019, 08:20 PM
Did anyone else see it as 4-3-3 attacking / 4-51 defending today?

Mallan deeper of midfield 3

2nd half flipped triangle so mallan and Slivka sometimes deeper.

H18 SFR
16-03-2019, 08:20 PM
Obviously McNulty will have the central one out and out striker role when he plays that setup, however if we can't get him again next year do you think Kamberi is suited to it?

04Sauzee
16-03-2019, 08:23 PM

We definitely play different without the ball than with the ball , the 2 wide players definitely supporting McNulty to make it a 3. The 5 in midfield without the ball works a treet

GreenCastle
16-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Obviously McNulty will have the central one out and out striker role when he plays that setup, however if we can't get him again next year do you think Kamberi is suited to it?

Not sure Flo can do it on own.

Mcnulty is more mobile and has better hold up / link up play.

Either play Flo with another fast player or keep him wide as he’s playing well.

McNulty is getting better every game as he gets more fit.

wookie70
16-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Flo certainly didn't look like he could play the sole front man earlier this year but he may be worth a try. His energy levels are outstanding and his work rate since Heck took charge is fantastic. He does lack the instinct to run behind like McNulty though so might be better as one of a two. Such a shame we are unlikely to get McNulty next year.

Godsahibby
16-03-2019, 08:53 PM
Formation was as close to a 442/433 that you will see. Flo pulled
Wide left dragged everyone across gave Horgan so much space.

MSK
16-03-2019, 09:00 PM
Do we think he would prefer narrow as to width ?

J-C
16-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Started and finished 4-4-2 today, only difference was Flo sat a lot wider to stretch Motherwell which left gaps for Omeonga and Horgan.

Although he's known to like 4-4-2 it's a tactic that isn't used a lot nowadays due to being overrun in midfield and also you need a midfield with bags of stamina and energy to keep up his high pressing style.

He may go 4-3-3 next season and having Boyle back will help, he adds pace and energy up the right but up front may be a quandary, will he go 2 or 1 up top, I think Flo could be trained as an inside forward playing on the left, he was a bit too wide at times today and didn't like with Sparky enough.

badabing67
17-03-2019, 11:18 AM

I thought it looked more like 4-1-2-3 when defending today, it stopped the Motherwell wingback's getting forward and worked like a charm. The thing is though I'm not sure Hecky has a preferred system. I think it looks like he knows how to adapt to the resources he has available him. It is now obvious to me anyway that he has used the limited time he has had to work with the players to express his ideas I think he's tried a few different things, and it looks like the players are responding well to his influence. So when we get Gould and possibly Agepong and Boyler back he could change it again to exploit the pace we would have back in the team. I really feel positive about how the season could finish for us and the kind of players Hecky could attract to the club. I think Flo has definitely picked up, I see improvements in Mallan and Horgan, I thought both of them had been under performing for months now. I just sense Hecky knows how to motivate & improve these players. Just hope now he can get some european experience as well. The sooner the better. He must be thinking about as a realistic possibility

BoomtownHibees
17-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Started and finished 4-4-2 today, only difference was Flo sat a lot wider to stretch Motherwell which left gaps for Omeonga and Horgan.

Although he's known to like 4-4-2 it's a tactic that isn't used a lot nowadays due to being overrun in midfield and also you need a midfield with bags of stamina and energy to keep up his high pressing style.

He may go 4-3-3 next season and having Boyle back will help, he adds pace and energy up the right but up front may be a quandary, will he go 2 or 1 up top, I think Flo could be trained as an inside forward playing on the left, he was a bit too wide at times today and didn't like with Sparky enough.

Wasn’t a 442 imo. Looked more like 433/451 as stated above. With the ball, Horgan and Flo played wide, either side of McNulty. Was exactly the same shape as after about half an hour of The Rangers game

MWHIBBIES
17-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Flo certainly didn't look like he could play the sole front man earlier this year but he may be worth a try. His energy levels are outstanding and his work rate since Heck took charge is fantastic. He does lack the instinct to run behind like McNulty though so might be better as one of a two. Such a shame we are unlikely to get McNulty next year.

Flo had many good games as a lone striker. It was our horrific style that caused problems for him.

Smartie
17-03-2019, 11:30 AM
I can't figure out our formation.

Flo was back in his own box tackling at one point during the second half so I'm not convinced he's an outright striker, and I'm pretty sure Horgan always plays wide under Heck. Mallan was deep with the other two central midfielders in advance of him. Pretty sure Omeonga was playing centrally but peels left at times.

You can normally get a good guess of the formation at kick off but I can't really figure us out.

Whatever it is, it is working, and that's the only thing that matters. We seem to have enough bodies all over the park again and at times earlier this season that wasn't always the case.

Lee Marvin
17-03-2019, 11:44 AM
I can't figure out our formation.

Flo was back in his own box tackling at one point during the second half so I'm not convinced he's an outright striker, and I'm pretty sure Horgan always plays wide under Heck. Mallan was deep with the other two central midfielders in advance of him. Pretty sure Omeonga was playing centrally but peels left at times.

You can normally get a good guess of the formation at kick off but I can't really figure us out.

Whatever it is, it is working, and that's the only thing that matters. We seem to have enough bodies all over the park again and at times earlier this season that wasn't always the case.

Yesterday was the first time under heck we have started anything other than a straight 442.

It was a 4123 yesterday with flo out on the left and mcnulty up top on his own. Worked very well yesterday and 2nd half against Rangers

04Sauzee
17-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Wasn’t a 442 imo. Looked more like 433/451 as stated above. With the ball, Horgan and Flo played wide, either side of McNulty. Was exactly the same shape as after about half an hour of The Rangers game

That's because it was nothing like a midfield 4

Tyler Durden
17-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Yesterday was the first time under heck we have started anything other than a straight 442.

It was a 4123 yesterday with flo out on the left and mcnulty up top on his own. Worked very well yesterday and 2nd half against Rangers

Correct.

I would imagine that's how we'd typically line up next season too. With Allan coming in to Omeonga's role (or a more classic 10) and Boyle slotting in on the right. Horgan and Kamberi have shown they can play on the left effectively. It's then a question of whether we can keep McNulty or does Kamberi or another new signing play the number 9 role.

If we can keep McNulty then full backs and a centre midfielder (or 2) with energy and a bit of bite would be the main targets for the summer.

J-C
17-03-2019, 01:18 PM

You both may be right, I thought is was a 4-4-2 with Flo sitting a bit wider to stretch the defence, Heck's said after the game they think he can be effective coming in off the left, could well see is going 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 which gives us more in the middle.