PDA

View Full Version : Milligan

we are hibs
16-03-2019, 06:34 PM
I have said before I don't particularly rate him but credit where it's due he was excellent today. The best i have seen him play for us. His distribution was quicker and he partnered Hanlon well and covered him and Gray then Stevenson excellently. More of the same against livi please.

matty_f
16-03-2019, 06:40 PM
He had a great game, imho. He and Hanlon were largely responsible for Marciano having very little to do today.

tamig
16-03-2019, 06:41 PM
I have never been keen on him at centre half but thought he was great today. A very important player for us now.

Heisenberg
16-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Certainly don’t think we missed his defensive presence in midfield. Would keep him beside Hanlon for Livi to see how we get on. Was very good today, dealt with everything with ease.

Diclonius
16-03-2019, 06:45 PM
I would probably keep him at CB too.

Billy Whizz
16-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Certainly don’t think we missed his defensive presence in midfield. Would keep him beside Hanlon for Livi to see how we get on. Was very good today, dealt with everything with ease.

Livvi play balls relentlessly into the box, think Daz’s height would be an asset against them

Ozyhibby
16-03-2019, 06:49 PM
I thought he played well today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
16-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Best I've seen him play today. I've not been his number one fan, but he's been more than decent since Heckingbottom joined and has really helped the team. Well done Mark.

04Sauzee
16-03-2019, 06:56 PM
Not been his biggest fan but he was my MOTM

Smartie
16-03-2019, 06:57 PM
Livvi play balls relentlessly into the box, think Daz’s height would be an asset against them

I'm wondering if we might need Daz at RB for the Livi game?

Also, I'm surprised to see how many people on thus thread saying "I'm not a fan, but....." - why don't we rate him? He had a strong start to the season, fell to pieces (as did the rest of the team) for a while and has been excellent in a much improved team since January.

What don't you like about him? I think he's a cracking player and never lets us down.

calumhibee1
16-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Best I've seen him play today. I've not been his number one fan, but he's been more than decent since Heckingbottom joined and has really helped the team. Well done Mark.

Likewise. Thought he was average - poor but he was outstanding today. Ran Omeonga very close for MOTM imo.

hibbysam
16-03-2019, 07:00 PM
He’s been outstanding for weeks now, I do think we missed that defensive midfielder until Marv came on though, 2/3 times they played one pass and were in on our back four (mostly first half) but we defended it well, and we were then breathtaking going forward.

eastcoasthibby
16-03-2019, 07:03 PM
He was top notch today and showed just how good a player he is, I thought in the air he was excellent as well,ost very little all day.
What he also gives us is another ballplaying centre half, he wants to try andbud from the back our first goal came from both centre halves being comfortable on the ball. He read the game very well, and made some great tackles and blocks. Having said alllf this its a different type of game next week and with Gray maybe struggling we might need to change shape a bit !
Glad for Milli today he hopefully put a few doubters in their boxes 😁

Besties Debut
16-03-2019, 07:41 PM
I'm wondering if we might need Daz at RB for the Livi game?

. Why would you want Daz at right back? He is slower than a week in Saughton

MagicSwirlingShip
16-03-2019, 07:47 PM
His best game in a Hibs jersey, Imperious today.

wookie70
16-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Not been his biggest fan but he was my MOTM
I'm the same. He has been pretty decent since he came back from Oz but he was outstanding today and was my MOTM. Apart from his defending he got us going up[ the park and we kept possession better so didn't have to defend as often. So many positives today but he was the shining light for me.

Billy Whizz
16-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Why would you want Daz at right back? He is slower than a week in Saughton

Think he means Gray might not be fit

Dunfyhibee
16-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Absolutely strolled it today, his upturn in form has been a major part of our good run just like it was earlier in the season.

JimBHibees
16-03-2019, 08:02 PM
His best game in a Hibs jersey, Imperious today.

Best player on the pitch should keep him there.

Smartie
16-03-2019, 08:13 PM

He's not slow, we'll need a bit of physicality throughout the team for the Livi game, and with the possibility of Gray, Whittaker and Boyle out and Efe away, I'm struggling to see who else we might have?

Lewis did very well today but I don't know if I'd want him to play on the right as anything more than a stop-gap measure?

Besties Debut
16-03-2019, 08:42 PM
He's not slow, we'll need a bit of physicality throughout the team for the Livi game, and with the possibility of Gray, Whittaker and Boyle out and Efe away, I'm struggling to see who else we might have?

Lewis did very well today but I don't know if I'd want him to play on the right as anything more than a stop-gap measure? Daz turns at the same speed as the Queen Mary. A speedy winger would tie him in knots. I'm hoping Darnel Johnson is fit. He is, after all, a proper right back who was brought in as cover. If not I can see them going with 3 at the back and Slivka at right wing back

Hiber-nation
16-03-2019, 08:48 PM
Daz turns at the same speed as the Queen Mary. A speedy winger would tie him in knots. I'm hoping Darnel Johnson is fit. He is, after all, a proper right back who was brought in a cover. If not I can see them going with 3 at the back and Slivka at right wing back

Johnson is a centre half who has admitted himself that he's no right back despite playing there now and again. There's not a hope Slivka will play at right wing back. Daz has done great recently but he'll never be playing at RB either. No harm in sticking Lewis in there again if SDG is still injured and Heck said he was taken off as a precaution.

Milligan was excellent today.

RyeSloan
16-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Daz turns at the same speed as the Queen Mary. A speedy winger would tie him in knots. I'm hoping Darnel Johnson is fit. He is, after all, a proper right back who was brought in as cover. If not I can see them going with 3 at the back and Slivka at right wing back

Is Spector not a RB? Or at the very least capable of playing there?

Besties Debut
16-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Johnson is a centre half who has admitted himself that he's no right back despite playing there now and again. There's not a hope Slivka will play at right wing back. Daz has done great recently but he'll never be playing at RB either. No harm in sticking Lewis in there again if SDG is still injured and Heck said he was taken off as a precaution.

Milligan was excellent today.When Johnson signed for us he said he was ''versatile, dynamic and can play at center back or right back''. He never said that he wasn't a right back.....bit of trivia he is Emile Heskeys godson

Diclonius
16-03-2019, 09:10 PM
Is Spector not a RB? Or at the very least capable of playing there?

Spector can play right back and in midfield according to his FM profile.

MWHIBBIES
16-03-2019, 09:12 PM

Dunno where this absolute pish myth started but it's not true at all. More than quick enough.

Hiber-nation
16-03-2019, 09:45 PM
When Johnson signed for us he said he was ''versatile, dynamic and can play at center back or right back''. He never said that he wasn't a right back.....bit of trivia he is Emile Heskeys godson

Don't have the link to hand but he did say he didn't enjoy playing there. Anyway Spector can slot in there if need be.

Lancs Harp
16-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Spector played quite a few games for West Ham as a left back. Yes he is right footed. Pretty versatile player.

Godsahibby
16-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Milligan’s the type of player I watch play at times and think fk me imagine if we had him at his prime. The boy is class. You can just see that he is a level at times.

Besties Debut
16-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Dunno where this absolute pish myth started but it's not true at all. More than quick enough. Aye your right. It is an ''absolute pish myth'' Big Daz is a flying machine. He makes himself look slow on purpose to fool the opposition

LaMotta
16-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Dunno where this absolute pish myth started but it's not true at all. More than quick enough.

:agree:

Allant1981
16-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Aye your right. It is an ''absolute pish myth'' Big Daz is a flying machine. He makes himself look slow on purpose to fool the opposition

You clearly dont watch him that often then as he is anything but slow

IWasThere2016
16-03-2019, 10:22 PM
I rate him. Class today.

MWHIBBIES
16-03-2019, 10:24 PM
Aye your right. It is an ''absolute pish myth'' Big Daz is a flying machine. He makes himself look slow on purpose to fool the opposition

He doesn't look slow at all. Rash at times maybe but definitely not slow.

Lancs Harp
16-03-2019, 10:29 PM
He doesn't look slow at all. Rash at times maybe but definitely not slow.

IMO his pace is average at best. The worry for me is the back four/three as a collective are a bit on the slow side and struggle with pace, movement and a high press. Coped easily today though and no doubting the heart and desire of those players.

J-C
16-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Strolled it today, may not be the quickest but has an excellent football brain, reads the game very well indeed.

allmodcons
16-03-2019, 10:37 PM

McGregor is no right back but he's no slouch either.

I have to say I'm impressed how you've turned a thread about Milligan into a negative analysis of McGregor.

Anyway you can stop panicking he'll not be played at right back.

MWHIBBIES
16-03-2019, 10:38 PM
IMO his pace is average at best. The worry for me is the back four/three as a collective are a bit on the slow side and struggle with pace, movement and a high press. Coped easily today though and no doubting the heart and desire of those players.
Easily one of the quickest central defenders I've seen at Hibs when he first joined. Now a bit slower but definitely above average IMO.

Lancs Harp
16-03-2019, 10:44 PM
Easily one of the quickest central defenders I've seen at Hibs when he first joined. Now a bit slower but definitely above average IMO.

Age and injuries have seen to that. How old is he now? 32? 33? He has a brain on him though and reads the game well. I do think we lack a bit of pace as a whole though at the back.

Smartie
16-03-2019, 11:33 PM
McGregor played a few games at RB not long after joining us and did well (Raith away in the cup when he scored).

He wouldn't be near the top of my list of people to play there, but when we're a few men down, as we are, and Milligan's done so well in McGregor's absence, then it might end up being worthy of discussion?

Sounds like Gray will be ok anyway, so not worth getting too het up about.

Forza Fred
17-03-2019, 12:19 AM
Maybe I’m biased, but apart from a couple of poor games a while ago....along with his team mates ....I think Millsy has been one of our best performers.

One of his trengths is versatility....you get a high standard from him, not just in one position

And YES, he has played right back too.......and played well there.

B.H.F.C
17-03-2019, 12:29 AM
Maybe I’m biased, but apart from a couple of poor games a while ago....along with his team mates ....I think Millsy has been one of our best performers.

One of his trengths is versatility....you get a high standard from him, not just in one position

You’re not being biased IMO. -

I don’t think Milligan has been anywhere near as bad as some have suggested. Consistent results have generally coincided with him being in the team.

I thought he absolutely strolled it today. Very good performance .

Smartie
17-03-2019, 12:30 AM

Based on what I've seen - I totally agree.

Based on other stuff, you can go looking for things to back up what you want to think. I don't think he's slow, but he is 33. If you want to build a case for him being slow then you can find occasions when he's been outpaced (especially by James Forrest, Scotland's paciest and trickiest player). He hangs onto the ball until he has a decent option to move it on to - I see composure and a desire to retain possession, others see someone who pisses about and should get rid quicker.

He's got the makings of a marmite player, that's for sure.

Today though? A rock at the heart of a defence who kept a clean sheet against a dangerous side in an important game, surely we can all acknowledge that?

Sproule Three
17-03-2019, 01:12 AM
Based on what I've seen - I totally agree.

Based on other stuff, you can go looking for things to back up what you want to think. I don't think he's slow, but he is 33. If you want to build a case for him being slow then you can find occasions when he's been outpaced (especially by James Forrest, Scotland's paciest and trickiest player). He hangs onto the ball until he has a decent option to move it on to - I see composure and a desire to retain possession, others see someone who pisses about and should get rid quicker.

He's got the makings of a marmite player, that's for sure.

Today though? A rock at the heart of a defence who kept a clean sheet against a dangerous side in an important game, surely we can all acknowledge that?

He's slower than he used to be. I've seen plenty of him over the years.
Was the Scott Brown of the A league in his last few years -admittedly the standard here is not as good but he was that dominant .
Surprised that people were concerned that he might not be effective at CB.
He held his own against Mbappe and Griezmann 9 months ago so was hardly likely to be dominated by Motherwell.
Not the most physically imposing player but he certainly makes up for it in other ways

Brooster
17-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Brilliant performance from Milligan yesterday. He's been playing well recently but seems to run out of steam after 60-70 in midfield but he lasted the pace at centre half yesterday.

Allant1981
17-03-2019, 07:50 AM
Milligan is a good player and has been no where near as bad as some make out on here, another good game yesterday again

judas
17-03-2019, 07:50 AM
Top class performance.

Robbo6-2
17-03-2019, 07:59 AM
He was my mom yesterday.

His disruption from the back made a big difference for us i thought.

Every player has his qualities but big Daz isnt the best at playing out from the back and since Efe has gone i think we have been struggling to start our attacks from the back. Seems to take ages to get into midfield or its a hoof up front. Where as yesterday i cant remember many long balls at all.

Id keep Milligan in there for next game.

Also think overall Milligans been a great signing. Missed him big time when he went to Asia Cup.