PDA

View Full Version : The race for top six

Diclonius
15-03-2019, 08:42 PM
I know there's been a fair few threads on this recently, but us, Motherwell, St Johnstone and Livingston now have four games to battle it out for top six. We're on 42, Motherwell are two behind and St Johnstone/Livi are a bit further back with 4 and 5 points less respectively. Here's our last four fixtures:

Hibs:
Motherwell (H)
Livingston (A)
Kilmarnock (H)
Hearts (A)

Motherwell:
Hibs (A)
St Johnstone (H)
Aberdeen (A)
Rangers (H)

St Johnstone:
St Mirren (H)
Motherwell (A)
Dundee (H)
Kilmarnock (A)

Livingston:
Aberdeen (A)
Hibs (H)
Hamilton (H)
Celtic (A)

St Johnstone arguably have the easiest run-in, but they're a bit far behind now. Motherwell and Livingston will both struggle. Ours could be worse but there's that last game to contend with. I have us down as getting 5 points, Motherwell 5, St Johnstone 6 and Livingston 4, meaning we'll take the final spot.

SRHibs
15-03-2019, 08:49 PM
I'd be disappointed if we didn't take 8 points from that. If we win tomorrow I'd say the race is pretty much over.

B.H.F.C
15-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Win tomorrow and it’s pretty much done IMO.

Get top six secured and we can think about looking higher. Not winning tomorrow will make anything higher than sixth difficult though.

Sir David Gray
15-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Win tomorrow and we'll make the top six I would say.

We will be at least 4 points clear with 3 games left and with a vastly superior goal difference meaning that St Johnstone would have to get at least 5 more points than us over the last 3 games to overtake us, Motherwell and Livingston would need at least 6 more points.

Tomorrow's huge.

Smartie
15-03-2019, 09:01 PM
I've mocked the split and the fact that folk were getting excited about this a month or two back, but I must admit I'm getting quite excited about it.

We are where we are, not much point moaning about the reasons why we're here.

It's quite an interesting wee mini league with a few quid at the end of it for those who come out on top, not to mention finishing the season on an optimistic note.

green with envy
15-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Avoiding defeat tomorrow, should hopefully see us finish top six, but i want a win to see us on the way to at least finishing 5th possibly even 4th.

CMurdoch
15-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Avoiding defeat tomorrow, should hopefully see us finish top six, but i want a win to see us on the way to at least finishing 5th possibly even 4th.

That's tomorrow in a nutshell

Crazyhorse
15-03-2019, 09:23 PM
I know there's been a fair few threads on this recently, but us, Motherwell, St Johnstone and Livingston now have four games to battle it out for top six. We're on 42, Motherwell are two behind and St Johnstone/Livi are a bit further back with 4 and 5 points less respectively. Here's our last four fixtures:

Hibs:
Motherwell (H)
Livingston (A)
Kilmarnock (H)
Hearts (A)

Motherwell:
Hibs (A)
St Johnstone (H)
Aberdeen (A)
Rangers (H)

St Johnstone:
St Mirren (H)
Motherwell (A)
Dundee (H)
Kilmarnock (A)

Livingston:
Aberdeen (A)
Hibs (H)
Hamilton (H)
Celtic (A)

St Johnstone arguably have the easiest run-in, but they're a bit far behind now. Motherwell and Livingston will both struggle. Ours could be worse but there's that last game to contend with. I have us down as getting 5 points, Motherwell 5, St Johnstone 6 and Livingston 4, meaning we'll take the final spot.

I agree and would take that now.

eastcoasthibby
16-03-2019, 06:54 AM
We need 6 points to give us the best **** at top 6, not getting 3 points today puts a huge amount of pressure on us, to get there as the last 3 games.give no guarantee of the points we need.
Having such a weak squad available today is going to be a massive test, with the central area of the team being the real crunch point, given how lively Motherwell.look in the last third of the park, interested to see how the new biss sets up.

JimBHibees
16-03-2019, 07:08 AM
Huge game today and would be great to get a win but imperative we don't lose it. All tough games but good that Well and Saints play each other. We have shown decent resilience recently so vital that continues. Think Flo and Sparky can get us there.

Besties Debut
16-03-2019, 07:51 AM
its a sad state of affairs we are even having this discussion. With 14000 season ticket holders, we should be fighting it out with the huns and sheep for 2nd and 3rd not struggling to grab 6th place. That just shows what an underwhelming season it has been.

danhibees1875
16-03-2019, 07:58 AM
its a sad state of affairs we are even having this discussion. With 14000 season ticket holders, we should be fighting it out with the huns and sheep for 2nd and 3rd not struggling to grab 6th place. That just shows what an underwhelming season it has been.

If season ticket numbers are the metric used we shouldn't be near competing with The rangers. We're a whole 9 points behind Aberdeen, 8 from Killie, and 5 from hearts. We've got a good chance to put a run of results together to secure a top 6 place and chip away at some of those differences and set us up for a race for Europe/4th.

HibeeHibernian4
16-03-2019, 08:05 AM

Not quite how football works, but if it was, then you have one man to blame for that and he’s currently sitting in the Celtic dugout.

Besties Debut
16-03-2019, 08:05 AM
If season ticket numbers are the metric used we shouldn't be near competing with The rangers. We're a whole 9 points behind Aberdeen, 8 from Killie, and 5 from hearts. We've got a good chance to put a run of results together to secure a top 6 place and chip away at some of those differences and set us up for a race for Europe/4th. At the same time, our budget dwarfs Motherwell and St Johnstones. We shouldn't be anywhere near these teams. Now we are talking about a home game against Motherwell as our most important of the season because if we win we might grab a top 6 place. For a club the size of Hibs a top 6 place should be a given.

Bobby's Cinema
16-03-2019, 08:13 AM
have a feeling our goal difference could be important to us here.
Motherwell are flying with good young players coming through all of a sudden, expecting a tough game today

B.H.F.C
16-03-2019, 08:30 AM

We are where we are. And there is still a chance to match last years finish despite a pretty grim season so no point in moaning about where we should be. Still a chance to save it.

Alex Trager
16-03-2019, 08:59 AM

Hibs:
Motherwell (H)
Livingston (A)
Kilmarnock (H)
Hearts (A)

Motherwell:
Hibs (A)
St Johnstone (H)
Aberdeen (A)
Rangers (H)

St Johnstone:
St Mirren (H)
Motherwell (A)
Dundee (H)
Kilmarnock (A)

Livingston:
Aberdeen (A)
Hibs (H)
Hamilton (H)
Celtic (A)

I’d like to think we will take more than 5 points from 12.

We need to be looking above us, Hearts are 5 clear. They are our target atm. Then Killie when we are above Hearts, Killie are 8 clear of us with Aberdeen 9 clear.

These are big asks but they have to be the targets

Viva_Palmeiras
16-03-2019, 09:00 AM
If season ticket numbers are the metric used we shouldn't be near competing with The rangers. We're a whole 9 points behind Aberdeen, 8 from Killie, and 5 from hearts. We've got a good chance to put a run of results together to secure a top 6 place and chip away at some of those differences and set us up for a race for Europe/4th.

Whatever metric (anyone individually will likely be imperfect) should be gauged at most likely the end of a season. Look at the season Duffys team topped the table only to get relegated or our stonklingy impressive end to last season - surely the best run we’ve had to complete the second half of a season in yonks. Home form was good until it wasn’t we’re just a bit erratic.

JimBHibees
16-03-2019, 09:04 AM

Totally agree still very tight and we have picked up recently points wise so everything to play for. Vital we get top 6 both psychologically and financially.

JimBHibees
16-03-2019, 09:06 AM
At the same time, our budget dwarfs Motherwell and St Johnstones. We shouldn't be anywhere near these teams. Now we are talking about a home game against Motherwell as our most important of the season because if we win we might grab a top 6 place. For a club the size of Hibs a top 6 place should be a given.

Except top 6 hasn't really ever been a given.

Springbank
16-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Hard work will be key today.

lennon signed a very imbalanced midfield and we have not been hardworking enough (or fit enough?) to stop the supply from mid to front from opponents. puts hanlon etc under more pressure than before.

need to work our socks off today - if we do then a pivotal 3pts are ours

danhibees1875
16-03-2019, 09:46 AM
At the same time, our budget dwarfs Motherwell and St Johnstones. We shouldn't be anywhere near these teams. Now we are talking about a home game against Motherwell as our most important of the season because if we win we might grab a top 6 place. For a club the size of Hibs a top 6 place should be a given.

Dwarfs? If we just take the turnover numbers as an indication of what the footballing budget will look like, the picture looks like this:

The rangers: £32.6m
Aberdeen: £15.4m
Hearts: £12.1m
Hibernian: £9.6m
Motherwell: £6.8m

The numbers that teams in Scotland, outwith the old firm, work with are all close enough together that there is no given right to definitely be better than other teams as a result - especially on a season by season basis.

Top 6 is never going to be a given for us and no one is saying that it's the final target for the season;it's just what we need to achieve first so that we can then focus on trying to finish higher up in the league.

erin go bragh
16-03-2019, 09:57 AM
Win our next three and a long overdue win at the PBS could clinch us a European place 😉

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Dwarfs? If we just take the turnover numbers as an indication of what the footballing budget will look like, the picture looks like this:

The rangers: £32.6m
Aberdeen: £15.4m
Hearts: £12.1m
Hibernian: £9.6m
Motherwell: £6.8m

The numbers that teams in Scotland, outwith the old firm, work with are all close enough together that there is no given right to definitely be better than other teams as a result - especially on a season by season basis.

Top 6 is never going to be a given for us and no one is saying that it's the final target for the season;it's just what we need to achieve first so that we can then focus on trying to finish higher up in the league.

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity,

Borderhibbie76
16-03-2019, 10:33 AM
its a sad state of affairs we are even having this discussion. With 14000 season ticket holders, we should be fighting it out with the huns and sheep for 2nd and 3rd not struggling to grab 6th place. That just shows what an underwhelming season it has been.No need to remind us all but we are where we are and it's not Heckys fault we are in this situation so let's get behind him and the team and stop moaning about what's gone before

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

allmodcons
16-03-2019, 10:35 AM

There's no doubting that, but I think turnover is a good indicator as to the rough size of each team's playing budget.

If every club has a playing budget of 50% on turnover it's easy to see who is spending the most on recruitment and contracts.

If playing budgets are to determine where club finishes in the league we should be 5th in that table.

SChibs
16-03-2019, 10:37 AM
There's no doubting that, but I think turnover is a good indicator as to the rough size of each team's playing budget.

If every club has a playing budget of 50% on turnover it's easy to see who is spending the most on recruitment and contracts.

If playing budgets are to determine where club finishes in the league we should be 5th in that table.

In reality though rangers could be paying anything from 75% to 125% of their turnover on players!

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-03-2019, 10:41 AM

It works for us that Well and the Saints play each other next week. Defeat for either side in that game will more or less rule them out.

danhibees1875
16-03-2019, 10:47 AM

Less so in football, particularly when what we're really looking to establish is who could afford higher costs. They're just indicative numbers to show we don't "dwarf" other teams as suggested. :aok:

Billy Whizz
16-03-2019, 11:04 AM
St Johnstone v St Mirren has been postponed
Wonder when they will be able to play this game

The Spaceman
16-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Massive game for us today. Think if we pick up the 3 points, that should be us in the Top 6. Would be brilliant considering the state we were in a couple of months ago :aok:

MWHIBBIES
16-03-2019, 11:17 AM

The huns have 40000 season ticket holders, we should be nowhere near them.

Besties Debut
16-03-2019, 11:41 AM
The huns have 40000 season ticket holders, we should be nowhere near them. And like ourselves the huns have underperformed. That's why they are battling it out with Aberdeen the same way we are with Motherwell and St Johnstone.

hibbysam
16-03-2019, 11:46 AM
St Johnstone v St Mirren has been postponed
Wonder when they will be able to play this game

If none have any international players away then they may play it next weekend, if not it’ll have to be played after the 33rd league game, Scottish cup semi final weekend most likely.