PDA

View Full Version : Hecky calls out Steven McLean over apology to Gerrard

Crab apple
14-03-2019, 11:03 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-paul-heckingbottom-says-ref-steven-mclean-made-foolish-error-over-steven-gerrard-apology-1-4889818

cabbageandribs1875
14-03-2019, 11:36 PM
i've avoided all posts/threads relating to this 'apology' due to thinking it was a wind-up, now i realise it's actually true i'm absolutely freakin astonished a referee would call a manager of any team to apologise, now i'm wondering how McLean will make things right again :rolleyes: looks like the heck is quickly finding out what goes on up here

HoboHarry
14-03-2019, 11:58 PM
i've avoided all posts/threads relating to this 'apology' due to thinking it was a wind-up, now i realise it's actually true i'm absolutely freakin astonished a referee would call a manager of any team to apologise, now i'm wondering how McLean will make things right again :rolleyes: looks like the heck is quickly finding out what goes on up here
It's bad enough that it happened but who leaked it?

Danderhall Hibs
15-03-2019, 12:03 AM

My money’s on Gerrard.

HoboHarry
15-03-2019, 12:11 AM
My money’s on Gerrard.
Someone trying to make mischief that's for sure.....

Ralphy C
15-03-2019, 12:47 AM
Gotta be Wallace. :wink:

Brunswickbill
15-03-2019, 01:07 AM
Hecky’s dead right and gives the perfect, considered response. Very impressed am I.

Since452
15-03-2019, 06:46 AM
He's correct. Utterly baffling decision to call the Rangers manager. He was a ref i had a bit of time for. Not now.

JimBHibees
15-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Correct response from Hecky and he is totally right in a game strewn with dubious decisions so what if what the ref thought was a foul maybe on second viewing he would have called different. Incredible to phone Gerrard at all never mind on the basis of a 50/50 call which he had a perfect view of. Just smacks as we all assume anyway that because the vast majority if not all top refs are from ref associations bordering Glasgow they are more than a little intimidated by the two biggest clubs. Shambolic situation but you just know there will be a circling of the wagons and we will probably get done over because of the comments. Well done on Paul for calling it out.

Dinkydoo
15-03-2019, 07:07 AM
Great article.

Hopefully all these things are starting to shine a massive spotlight on the bias that goes on up here. The refs are absolutely terrified of upsetting Celtic or Rangers because of any repurcussions from their large fan base. It brings the entire game into disrepute

Bishop Hibee
15-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Well said Hecky. Call out the bias in favour of Rantic. Pathetic from McLean but we all know the Huns benefited from dodgy refs in both incarnations so no huge surprise.

Northernhibee
15-03-2019, 08:16 AM
Considering their goal came from a bigger blunder it’s astonishing.

Bangkok Hibby
15-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Great article.

Hopefully all these things are starting to shine a massive spotlight on the bias that goes on up here. The refs are absolutely terrified of upsetting Celtic or Rangers because of any repurcussions from their large fan base. It brings the entire game into disrepute

Then surely time to use cameras during the game far more?

Besties Debut
15-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Hecky was too dignified in my opinion. He should have called the referee star struck and asked him if Gerrard sent him a signed Liverpool shirt . He must be thrilled at having the phone number of a Premiership legend. He couldn’t resist it he had to call it.

Onion
15-03-2019, 08:36 AM
One of the advantages of having a manager who's new to the Scottish game and not part of the West Coast establishment (just like Steve Clarke), is that they're prepared to call these things out, and the media has little option but to sit up and take notice.

Whoever leaked the call from Ibrox will get rebuked. But it begs the obvious question ... how many others calls and conversations go on between certain clubs and referees behind closed doors - before and after games !! Smells rotten.

15-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Hecky was too dignified in my opinion. He should have called the referee star struck and asked him if Gerrard sent him a signed Liverpool shirt . He must be thrilled at having the phone number of a Premiership legend. He couldn’t resist it he had to call it.

I wonder if he already had Gerrard's personal number or the direct line number of the Rangers manager's office.

Since452
15-03-2019, 08:50 AM

Was it not Gerrard himself that told the press the referee had called him to apologise?

franks
15-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Hecky says he has never received an apology from a ref and doesn't expect one. Guess what Hecky you won't be disappointed.

JimBHibees
15-03-2019, 09:29 AM
One of the advantages of having a manager who's new to the Scottish game and not part of the West Coast establishment (just like Steve Clarke), is that they're prepared to call these things out, and the media has little option but to sit up and take notice.

Whoever leaked the call from Ibrox will get rebuked. But it begs the obvious question ... how many others calls and conversations go on between certain clubs and referees behind closed doors - before and after games !! Smells rotten.

No they wont that is part of the plan to ensure Rangers get decisions in the future also why Rodgers said the linesman apologised to him for a penalty we got in the league cup semi final last season. It is to put pressure on for future games and ensure the officials behave themselves in future.

MurrayfieldHibs
15-03-2019, 10:05 AM
Did we get a phonecall from the ref to apologise for Sparky's free kick against the spambos that was 6 foot over the line....

Did Lenny get a phonecall from the ref for the blatant penalty against in the 1-2 loss to the rangers in December 2017 ???

Then why the f*** did McLean make this phonecall???:confused:

Nevi_SOL
15-03-2019, 10:18 AM
Considering their goal came from a bigger blunder it’s astonishing.

Exactly this and I’m surprised it’s not been mentioned as much.

Biggie
15-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Exactly this and I’m surprised it’s not been mentioned as much.

You're surprised ?

BILLYHIBS
15-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Just watched the move for our goal again the Ref is standing the right side of Omeonga and sees nothing wrong

Link attached please forward to 5.30 to avoid all the sectarian singing that the Huns don’t sing

I find this astonishing especially the incident when McNulty gets his jersey pulled back in front of the Ref and he waves play on :confused:

https://youtu.be/9N0mapB9Nyo

GreenLake
15-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Eddie Turnbull must have had dozens of phone calls

Hibernia&Alba
15-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Didn't Rodgers get a phone call to apologise on one occasion? Can't go giving bad calls against the Old Firm....

Rumble de Thump
15-03-2019, 11:14 AM
We won the ball on the edge of our own box, travelled all the way up the other end of the pitch, knocked the ball about a bit, then stuck it in the net. The Rangers conceded the goal because their whole team couldn't deal with the Hibees.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Really good article and there is not one bit that can be disagreed with. The next iffy decision that The Rangers get, that ends up being significant will surely mean that Gerrard is asked whether the referee should call the other manager to apologise. So this one will fall back on his own head and show up a bit of naivety on his part. Seems a shame for The Rangers that as Gerrard learns the job, the first bit that he picked up was to point away from his team's and his own failings.

Kato
15-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Just watched the move for our goal again the Ref is standing the right side of Omeonga and sees nothing wrong

Link attached please forward to 5.30 to avoid all the sectarian singing that the Huns don’t sing

Not even a foul.

Joe6-2
15-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Just proves the cheating that goes on

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Not even a foul.
Exactly, just cause Tav is challenged and falls on his arse doesn’t make it a foul.

Carheenlea
15-03-2019, 12:37 PM
I wish we could go back to the time of when the the referees decision was final. This constant revisiting incidents, rescinding decisions, retrospective cards and now phoning managers is starting to get tiresome and utterly boring. It dominates sportsound and sportscene and rather than improving refereeing it is just making the job even harder with all the scrutiny.
Once the full time whistle is blown that should be it - no recinding or retrospective cards and just get on with it. Referees don’t have to explain their decisions as it is, and they certainly shouldn’t be contacting managers to do so, but ultimately this will have been a result of the increased scrutiny and fear of making a mistake. The game in Scotland is worse for it.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Hibs arguably spent an additional year in the Championship with all the associated financial implications because of 2 poor refereeing decisions. The shambolic handball decision at ER and the decision not to send off a Falkirk player for a professional foul away. Did we receive a phone call to apologise for the absolute hammer blow that was to the club?

Rules for some and rules for others. As it always has been and always will be.

steelendhibs
15-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Hibs arguably spent an additional year in the Championship with all the associated financial implications because of 2 poor refereeing decisions. The shambolic handball decision at ER and the decision not to send off a Falkirk player for a professional foul away. Did we receive a phone call to apologise for the absolute hammer blow that was to the club?

Referees apologise all the time by phone. It's just who talks about the phone call in the media or who keeps it in house. Gerrard was just trying to take sting away for a couple of poor results

calumhibee1
15-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Referees apologise all the time by phone. It's just who talks about the phone call in the media or who keeps it in house. Gerrard was just trying to take sting away for a couple of poor results

PH says he’s never received one. I’d suggest a lot of managers will be the same.

Future17
15-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Referees apologise all the time by phone.

How do you know this?

Ozyhibby
15-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Rod will be sending PH the ‘move on’ memo shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wee Effen Bee
15-03-2019, 03:04 PM
I wish we could go back to the time of when the the referees decision was final. This constant revisiting incidents, rescinding decisions, retrospective cards and now phoning managers is starting to get tiresome and utterly boring. It dominates sportsound and sportscene and rather than improving refereeing it is just making the job even harder with all the scrutiny.
Once the full time whistle is blown that should be it - no recinding or retrospective cards and just get on with it. Referees don’t have to explain their decisions as it is, and they certainly shouldn’t be contacting managers to do so, but ultimately this will have been a result of the increased scrutiny and fear of making a mistake. The game in Scotland is worse for it.

This is where I am C. Referees will make umpteen mistakes a game - just as players/coaches will. Because of VAR etc. we have reached a point where we are being forced to recognise refs as being infallible. They can’t be. We should accept it’s part and parcel of the game. Dissecting every little decision has turnied me off listening to the studio analysis. I just fast forward the banal chat to the games. Teach players to respect the decisions and move on. We can discuss and debate in the pub or at home later. If we listen to the pundits/commentators we just end up reliving games from weeks ago! Groundhog Day nightmares!

weecounty hibby
15-03-2019, 03:19 PM

**** sake you just can't help yourself. You manage to turn pretty much everything into a dig at Rod Petrie. It is very very boring

w pilton hibby
15-03-2019, 03:22 PM

We can only hope and pray he copies you in. 😁

green day
15-03-2019, 03:56 PM

You have gone from a fairly informative and apparently bright poster to a boring one trick pony.

If Hibs said nothing about the Gerard apology, what would you say? We all know - you would be over it like a rash - Petrie this, Move on that, blah blah.

Now that our manager has spoken about it in the press, and its on the BBC, Scotsman, Herald - what is your response?

Exactly the flippin same :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it wasnt frustratingly stupid, your response would be laughable.

Maybe time you moved on..............

Ozyhibby
15-03-2019, 04:24 PM
**** sake you just can't help yourself. You manage to turn pretty much everything into a dig at Rod Petrie. It is very very boring

We can only hope and pray he copies you in. [emoji16]

You have gone from a fairly informative and apparently bright poster to a boring one trick pony.

If Hibs said nothing about the Gerard apology, what would you say? We all know - you would be over it like a rash - Petrie this, Move on that, blah blah.

Now that our manager has spoken about it in the press, and its on the BBC, Scotsman, Herald - what is your response?

Exactly the flippin same :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it wasnt frustratingly stupid, your response would be laughable.

Maybe time you moved on..............

I try not to disappoint. [emoji3]

I’m p’ed off that the club is willing to invite 3500 people into the stadium to sing sectarian songs advocating religious inspired violence against catholics just so that we can make a bit more money. At times like this I feel our club should be better. And that’s when I get a bit grumpy about Petrie.

Deansy
15-03-2019, 04:45 PM
One of the many things McLean got wrong that night was not going back and booking Tavernier for simulation after we'd scored - never, ever a foul !
McLean

Read more at: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-paul-heckingbottom-says-ref-steven-mclean-made-foolish-error-over-steven-gerrard-apology-1-4889818

Gerrard had claimed Easter Road midfielder Stephane Omeonga was guilty of an illegal challenge on Rangers skipper James Tavernier

Read more at: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-paul-heckingbottom-says-ref-steven-mclean-made-foolish-error-over-steven-gerrard-apology-1-4889818

Rumble de Thump
15-03-2019, 05:17 PM
The problem with Scottish football is not referees making mistakes. It's the cheating, corruption and criminal activity, which the authorities and media have been keen to cover up as much as possible. In fact, many of them have been very much involved in it.

steelendhibs
15-03-2019, 05:35 PM
How do you know this?

I know a few referees. And they do it from the Premiership where they can watch games back, to the assessors who watch them at Junior games. I refereed to Junior level for a bit, and if I was informed by someone I trusted that I had made an error, I would apologise to a manager. It might be the next time I refereed their game. It's just a courtesy, and don't see a problem with it. Like most things in Scottish football it just gets twisted by paranoia

JSR1875
15-03-2019, 05:56 PM
I know a few referees. And they do it from the Premiership where they can watch games back, to the assessors who watch them at Junior games. I refereed to Junior level for a bit, and if I was informed by someone I trusted that I had made an error, I would apologise to a manager. It might be the next time I refereed their game. It's just a courtesy, and don't see a problem with it. Like most things in Scottish football it just gets twisted by paranoia

Scottish football is corrupt to the core - and the refs play an integral role in that!

Funny how it was the hun manager getting an apology for a nothing challenge- as stated above we have been on the receiving end of some horror decisions and never heard **** all

Jim44
15-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Scottish football is corrupt to the core - and the refs play an integral role in that!

Funny how it was the hun manager getting an apology for a nothing challenge- as stated above we have been on the receiving end of some horror decisions and never heard **** all

:agree: But don’t say it too loudly or you’ll be shot down in flames for being paranoid. A large number of Scottish referees are in awe of, frightened of, or simply biased towards the ugly sisters, the SFA and the Scottish media. Incompetence is too easy an explanation for their behaviour.

judas
15-03-2019, 06:21 PM

You took the words out of my mouth

HibeeHibernian4
15-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Omeonga fouled Tavernier, to me that much is obvious.

What isn't being reported on is the very bad refereeing that led McLean not to give that free kick.

About 15 seconds before Tavernier is fouled, Stevie Mallan pulls a John McGinn by leaning into Glen Kamara and trying to win a free kick. McLean puts his whistle to his mouth to blow for a free kick, but then - correctly, in my opinion - doesn't buy it, much to the audible anger of the Easter Road crowd.

15 seconds later, Tavernier is fouled by Omeonga. It's a pretty similar coming together to the one moments earlier, but Tavernier doesn't move into the foul like Mallan does. I believe that McLean, wishing not to further annoy the home crowd who have already showed their displeasure at his decision moments earlier, bottles giving Rangers the free kick. Omeonga breaks away with the ball and Hibs score a very well-worked, counter attacking goal.

The GIF on the link below shows what I'm talking about:

https://media.giphy.com/media/ely5x5W7yCDI2DXzqM/giphy.gif

This idea of referees 'balancing up' is not new. It happens all the time in football. How many times when a referee gives a controversial free kick on the wings does he then blow up for a minor infringement from the attacking team the moment the ball comes into the box? It is a clever way of ensuring that your poor decision doesn't directly lead to a goal.

Of course, because the Mallan-Kamara incident didn't lead to a Rangers goal, we have all pretty much forgotten about it. Because the Tavernier-Omeonga incident led to a Hibs goal, Gerrard and Rangers fans are incensed about it. This is the problem with trying to balance things up as a referee, you're not in control of the consequences of each tackle that you let go.

There have been far more direct consequences of abysmal refereeing decisions in a Hibs - Rangers game at Easter Road in this decade alone. Here's Willie Collum waving play on as Paul Hanlon is absolutely wiped out by Lee Wallace, allowing Kenny Miller to slot home for their second: https://media.giphy.com/media/wONknVKd5MbdzqiCZl/giphy.gif

matty_f
15-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Omeonga fouled Tavernier, to me that much is obvious.

What isn't being reported on is the very bad refereeing that led McLean not to give that free kick.

About 15 seconds before Tavernier is fouled, Stevie Mallan pulls a John McGinn by leaning into Glen Kamara and trying to win a free kick. McLean puts his whistle to his mouth to blow for a free kick, but then - correctly, in my opinion - doesn't buy it, much to the audible anger of the Easter Road crowd.

15 seconds later, Tavernier is fouled by Omeonga. It's a pretty similar coming together to the one moments earlier, but Tavernier doesn't move into the foul like Mallan does. I believe that McLean, wishing not to further annoy the home crowd who have already showed their displeasure at his decision moments earlier, bottles giving Rangers the free kick. Omeonga breaks away with the ball and Hibs score a very well-worked, counter attacking goal.

The GIF on the link below shows what I'm talking about:

https://media.giphy.com/media/ely5x5W7yCDI2DXzqM/giphy.gif

This idea of referees 'balancing up' is not new. It happens all the time in football. How many times when a referee gives a controversial free kick on the wings does he then blow up for a minor infringement from the attacking team the moment the ball comes into the box? It is a clever way of ensuring that your poor decision doesn't directly lead to a goal.

Of course, because the Mallan-Kamara incident didn't lead to a Rangers goal, we have all pretty much forgotten about it. Because the Tavernier-Omeonga incident led to a Hibs goal, Gerrard and Rangers fans are incensed about it. This is the problem with trying to balance things up as a referee, you're not in control of the consequences of each tackle that you let go.

There have been far more direct consequences of abysmal refereeing decisions in a Hibs - Rangers game at Easter Road in this decade alone. Here's Willie Collum waving play on as Paul Hanlon is absolutely wiped out by Lee Wallace, allowing Kenny Miller to slot home for their second: https://media.giphy.com/media/wONknVKd5MbdzqiCZl/giphy.gif
That Hanlon foul in the second one was blatant cheating by the ref. There is nothing that would convince me that that decision was an honest mistake.

I honestly didn't think Omeonga fouled Tavernier, I think he was stronger than him and Tavernier didn't need the slightest bit of encouragement to go down which made it look more like a foul, but it's not a free kick for me.

brog
15-03-2019, 07:07 PM

There's a difference between meeting a ref afterwards & apologising or discussing past decisions, & going out your way to call & apologise for a supposed error. Heck has said he would have no problem with the former but he's appalled at the latter. As a former ref also, in England, I support our manager's thoughts. I strongly suspect no Hibs Manager in recent history has ever had an apologetic call from a ref. Alan Muir's phone bill would be astronomical!

HibeeHibernian4
15-03-2019, 07:39 PM
That Hanlon foul in the second one was blatant cheating by the ref. There is nothing that would convince me that that decision was an honest mistake.

The way Collum reacts makes me think that he just somehow hasn't seen what everyone else has seen. If referees were going to be that nakedly corrupt, wouldn't they choose a better time do it than when Rangers are already a goal up in a game that, given it handed Hearts the title, wasn't of particularly massive consequence? Wouldn't you wait until the last kick of a cup final or a league decider to strike?

I genuinely think it is just sheer incompetence rather than cheating.

matty_f
15-03-2019, 07:43 PM
The way Collum reacts makes me think that he just somehow hasn't seen what everyone else has seen. If referees were going to be that nakedly corrupt, wouldn't they choose a better time do it than when Rangers are already a goal up in a game that, given it handed Hearts the title, wasn't of particularly massive consequence? Wouldn't you wait until the last kick of a cup final or a league decider to strike?

I genuinely think it is just sheer incompetence rather than cheating.

Nope, these ****ers take every chance they get to shaft us.

What's the linesman doing if the ref hasn't seen it? The ref has a great view of it.

HibeeHibernian4
15-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Nope, these ****ers take every chance they get to shaft us.

What's the linesman doing if the ref hasn't seen it? The ref has a great view of it.

Us as in Hibs? I sincerely think they have bigger fish to fry than us.

Here's my view on it, Rangers and Celtic get the majority of decisions, and here's why:

It's Celtic/Rangers vs Motherwell. It's 0-0 late on in the game, and Celtic/Rangers are in desperate need of the three points for the title race. A Celtic/Rangers player goes down in the box. The referee has a good view of it, but it's a 50-50 call. You could make a case either way. But the referee knows that, if he doesn't give this penalty to Celtic/Rangers and it's shown by the cameras to be the wrong decision, the following will happen:

- Name in the papers for a week

- Abusive messages and/or threats from fans online

- Public abuse in high profile referee's cases (your Maddens, your Thomsons, your Beatons)

So what is the referee going to do? He'll play it safe and give Celtic/Rangers the penalty.

Because, quite honestly, who outwith Motherwell's hardy 5000 support will remember years later if they were robbed by a dodgy penalty decision?

This is not the same as cheating, this is the realities of referees operating in a country whose football is in a stranglehold of two horrible clubs with horrible and large supports who are pandered to be horrible media outlets.

matty_f
15-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Here's my view on it, Rangers and Celtic get the majority of decisions, and here's why:

It's Celtic/Rangers vs Motherwell. It's 0-0 late on in the game, and Celtic/Rangers are in desperate need of the three points for the title race. A Celtic/Rangers player goes down in the box. The referee has a good view of it, but it's a 50-50 call. You could make a case either way. But the referee knows that, if he doesn't give this penalty to Celtic/Rangers and it's shown by the cameras to be the wrong decision, the following will happen:

- Public abuse in high profile referee's cases (your Maddens, your Thomsons, your Beatons)

So what is the referee going to do? He'll play it safe and give Celtic/Rangers the penalty.

Because, quite honestly, who outwith Motherwell's hardy 5000 support will remember years later if they were robbed by a dodgy penalty decision?

This is not the same as cheating, this is the realities of referees operating in a country whose football is in a stranglehold of two horrible clubs with horrible and large supports who are pandered to be horrible media outlets.

Sounds a lot like cheating to me.

Libby Hibby
16-03-2019, 03:54 AM
Did we recieve an apology in the build up to the Rangers goal when the Linesman raised his flag in error and everyone stopped? I know it’s an age old tale to keep playing until you hear the whistle but the linesman’s actions 100% effected the flow of play. A break up the park and The Rangers are 1 up.

No apology, no discussion and no fuss from us.

Fast forward 60 minutes and the ref supposedly misssed a foul in the build up to our goal, it’s debatable whether it was even remotely a foul never mind a full on media debate and an apology, not in person but by phone, to the opposition manager.

How many other phone calls take place between old firm managers and refs that we don’t know about?

It simply shouldn’t happen.

pacoluna
16-03-2019, 04:11 AM

Gerrard publicly spoke about the referee call to deflect the pressure off him.

Blaming two refereeing decisions for us not getting promoted is deflecting from the fact we had 36 games to achieve that.

JimBHibees
16-03-2019, 07:55 AM

Blaming two refereeing decisions for us not getting promoted is defecting from the fact we had 36 games to achieve that.

As usual the context is everything what needs to be taken into account is Rangers being in the league with only one guaranteed promotion spot and that these decisions were in a two legged play off match. No one will ever convince me the Muir one wasn't corrupt we were 2 1 on top and that would have made it 3 1. Bizarrely some of the pundits Craigan in particular argued it wasn't a pen maybe to obscure the fact it was such a blatant award. The Thompson one in the second leg wasn't such a clear red. Ironically being knocked out the play off imo gave us a weeks recovery and helped us to our greatest day. Bit of karma there imo.

Onion
16-03-2019, 08:09 AM

I honestly didn't think Omeonga fouled Tavernier, I think he was stronger than him and Tavernierdidn't need the slightest bit of encouragement to go down which made it look more like a foul, but it's not a free kick for me.

Same when Stokes out-muscled the weak, loser called Tavernier for the 2nd at Hampden, and McLean called it right that day.

Eyrie
16-03-2019, 10:09 AM

Blaming two refereeing decisions for us not getting promoted is defecting from the fact we had 36 games to achieve that.

Exactly.

Sevco had numerous chances in the first half to put the game beyond us, and even after Omeonga won the ball they had plenty of time and territory to stop us creating a goal scoring opportunity, let alone converting it.

I think Tavernier making a meal of going down probably edged McLean's decision in our favour.

steelendhibs
16-03-2019, 12:19 PM

Would he not just get it tight from whatever half of the old firm it didn't favour? With that in mind surely a ref would just call it as they see it. Refs at the top level in Scotland (no matter if you think they are good enough or not) are competing with each other for top domestic games and the chance for European games. They aren't going to risk these opportunities in the future to appease people they don't know. The paranoia in Scottish football knows no bounds it seems

Swedish hibee
16-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Well said Hegi.

The 90+2
16-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Blaming two refereeing decisions for us not getting promoted is deflecting from the fact we had 36 games to achieve that.

Against a club that financially dwarf us bear in mind.

NAE NOOKIE
16-03-2019, 11:04 PM

Maybe we did, but the championship is set up to provide a chance for two teams to be promoted … Hibs did enough to give themselves that chance, so it doesn't matter a toss that we didn't win the league, we still had a chance of promotion and that decision robbed us of it, it was right in front of me and was a baw hair short of the defender picking up the ball and hoofing it up the park … he clearly and deliberately moved his hand towards the ball to move it away from the oncoming Hibs player and it was a penalty all day long.