PDA

View Full Version : New hibs fanzine?

McrHibee
14-03-2019, 06:48 PM
A few weeks ago, I started on thread on here asking about the history of Hibby fanzines, and asked the question if you thought there would be an appetite for such a publication being produced nowadays.
I loved the subsequent replies and especially those from fans expressing disappointment that the post wasn't about a new Hibernian fanzine.

So.... over the last few weeks, I started working on a template for a possible fanzine with the aim of maybe starting it for the beginning of next season. But I've produced more than expected and could fill a magazine in a few weeks if there's a few people out there willing to get on board with this...

I won't ramble on because I'm also fiddling about on indesign (as opposed to fiddling about looking at other things on my computer, ahem) but if you are interested in getting involved in a new Hibs fanzine, please either reply to this post or send us a PM as I reckon, with a bit of help, and some positive feedback to this thread, I reckon it might be possible to get a mag released before the end of the season

(And, to be honest, I was feeling a bit reluctant posting a message like this but looking at what I've put together so far, and being mildly impressed despite being my own biggest critic, I do feel that this could be a go'er, as they say)

So over to you, and let's see where this might lead...

:flag:

04Sauzee
14-03-2019, 06:56 PM
I used to live the old Hibs fanzines and couldn't wait for them to come out. Unfortunately I would be a rubbish help.

Just a quick question will you be selling around the ground or will it be a subscribed delivery service?

Good luck and looking forward to reading issue 1

Besties Debut
14-03-2019, 07:12 PM
I remember the old Mass hibsteria fanzine and its contributers like Grumpy Gibby and Hibees Hippy. Im sure there was a connection to Irvine Welsh involved as well

bob12345
14-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Good luck mate. Love fanzines and will definitely subscribe.

HibeeHibernian4
15-03-2019, 01:03 AM
Just too young to have been able to appreciate the first wave of fanzines, would love a 21st Century equivalent if one emerged. Best of luck with it. :aok:

BILLYHIBS
15-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Brilliant idea

I would like to think that there would be no shortage of talented contributors from the HIBS support that would be willing to recall old games old players and managers and comment on contemporary current relevant and topical issues surrounding the club and engage in friendly fitba banter with opposition clubs

I might not always agree with them but there are a lot of talented individuals on HIBS.net and I am sure the same can be said for the hibeesbounce

The hard bit will be unearthing the next Grumpy Gibby or Irvine Welsh

Have you thought of a name yet or is it still early days?

I for one would definitely be a subscriber

HFC93
15-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Best of luck. Although I think twitter, blogs, hibs.net etc have made fanzines obsolete so it could be tough to make it sustainable.

Baader
15-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Think Irvine Welsh wrote under the pseudonym Octopus for Hibs Monthly (later MassHibsteria.) I still have a bunch of old copies at home. Including his 'Speccy - The short sighted Jambo' skit. They were always a good read.

Remember The Proclaimer in the late 1980s was a well produced Hibs fanzine. Used to be in A4 size.

McrHibee
19-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far to this thread, fellas.

The intention would be to sell the mag outside (and possibly inside) the ground at a couple of games, whilst also flogging them online. I think the aim should be at least three mags a season, possibly four, but that would all be dependent on contributors.

The majority of issue one has now been put together and I'm going to send what's done so far to a few friends to receive some constructive feedback, and if they believe it would be a seller.

I hear the concerns about the internet now possibly rendering fanzines obsolete these days but do feel, and hope, that there would be room for such a publication at Hibs, and that fanzines can always offer something that you'll never find on the internet. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know if I can rest until at least one new fanzine has been produced and we'll take it from there...

I'd hope to maybe have the first issue launched before end of the season, so we have the summer to reflect, promote and work out if there is a future for it next term.

As for a name, I've tried been funny with a title but failed drastically with an amusing pun-related name, so I'm provisionally working under the title of 1875 - The Hibernian Fanzine....

But maybe someone far wittier than myself could suggest a possible name for a new fanzine here...

Again, any feedback to this thread and offers of contributions will be gratefully received.

Cheers

BILLYHIBS
19-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far to this thread, fellas.

The intention would be to sell the mag outside (and possibly inside) the ground at a couple of games, whilst also flogging them online. I think the aim should be at least three mags a season, possibly four, but that would all be dependent on contributors.

The majority of issue one has now been put together and I'm going to send what's done so far to a few friends to receive some constructive feedback, and if they believe it would be a seller.

I hear the concerns about the internet now possibly rendering fanzines obsolete these days but do feel, and hope, that there would be room for such a publication at Hibs, and that fanzines can always offer something that you'll never find on the internet. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know if I can rest until at least one new fanzine has been produced and we'll take it from there...

I'd hope to maybe have the first issue launched before end of the season, so we have the summer to reflect, promote and work out if there is a future for it next term.

As for a name, I've tried been funny with a title but failed drastically with an amusing pun-related name, so I'm provisionally working under the title of 1878 - The Hibernian Fanzine....

But maybe someone far wittier than myself could suggest a possible name for a new fanzine here...

Again, any feedback to this thread and offers of contributions will be gratefully received.

Cheers

McrHibee
19-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Of course, fat finger syndrome strikes again... and also not reading posts before they're sent. Oops. 1875 it is, of course!!

EDIT: proof readers also welcome!

Liam978
19-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Of course, fat finger syndrome strikes again... and also not reading posts before they're sent. Oops. 1875 it is, of course!!

EDIT: proof readers also welcome!

you might want to get in touch with the Norway Hibs Supporters branch. Their Chairman Karl can be found in the Hibs club before most matches. They have been doing a fanzine. 3 issues to date and a good read. it's called " Who Ate all the Pies " at £2 a copy. was on sale in the club and at the stadium on Sat.

Antifa Hibs
19-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Not much of a writer but would defo purchase/subscribe.

I read https://www.standamf.com/ and there seems to have been a few fanzine's launched or revived for other clubs which is good to see.

Good luck!

hhibs
19-03-2019, 01:10 PM
A few weeks ago, I started on thread on here asking about the history of Hibby fanzines, and asked the question if you thought there would be an appetite for such a publication being produced nowadays.
I loved the subsequent replies and especially those from fans expressing disappointment that the post wasn't about a new Hibernian fanzine.

So.... over the last few weeks, I started working on a template for a possible fanzine with the aim of maybe starting it for the beginning of next season. But I've produced more than expected and could fill a magazine in a few weeks if there's a few people out there willing to get on board with this...

I won't ramble on because I'm also fiddling about on indesign (as opposed to fiddling about looking at other things on my computer, ahem) but if you are interested in getting involved in a new Hibs fanzine, please either reply to this post or send us a PM as I reckon, with a bit of help, and some positive feedback to this thread, I reckon it might be possible to get a mag released before the end of the season

(And, to be honest, I was feeling a bit reluctant posting a message like this but looking at what I've put together so far, and being mildly impressed despite being my own biggest critic, I do feel that this could be a go'er, as they say

So over to you, and let's see where this might lead...

:flag:

That would be great, would be very happy to subscribe,something we have been missing for many years. GGTTH !

hhibs
19-03-2019, 01:29 PM
That would be great, would be very happy to subscribe,something we have been missing for many years. GGTTH !

Possible title names:- Mass Hibsteria Too,or2

The Delivery !

Henderson 2 Deliver

One,One,Four

The Proclaimer

BILLYHIBS
19-03-2019, 01:34 PM
The Postman Always Rings Twice!

worcesterhibby
19-03-2019, 01:54 PM
I love the title "Henderson 2 Deliver" as suggested above.

Wee Effen Bee
19-03-2019, 02:08 PM
“Every Rangers player on pitch was attacked or spat on by Hibs fans during Hampden riot!” Fanzine?
Or,
“keithjacksonisaweehun****!”

Monts
19-03-2019, 02:25 PM
"What Kept You Hibs"

"The Times for Heroes"

"Green and White Army"

"Famous A5"

"The Leith Fans Hero"

worcesterhibby
19-03-2019, 02:44 PM
would love to be involved..PM sent

McrHibee
19-03-2019, 03:41 PM
Some cracking replies and suggestions here chaps, and have to agree that Henderson To Deliver might just be a winner!

One cup-related title I had in mind, whilst playing on the name of the old football mag, was 92 Minutes... but Henderson To Deliver sounds brilliant, especially shouting that out on Albion Road pre-match whilst selling (though you can already guarantee half the crowd walking past screaming 'And David Gray has scored...' back in my face)

The Famous A5 also made me smile

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Personally I like 'What Kept You Hibs' as a title.

James Stephen
19-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Personally I like 'What Kept You Hibs' as a title.

Oi!

That's already taken...😁

What about exuberance monthly, or Hibsed it monthly

Baader
20-03-2019, 06:28 AM
Gray Matters?

weecounty hibby
20-03-2019, 07:19 AM
"at last, at last, at last" it's what I have as a name plate on my framed final programme and match tickets

Austinho
20-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Crying out to be called ‘The Leithlet’

Alternatively:
Down the Slope
Glory Glory
Fanzine and White Army
First to Wear the Zine
The Granton Star (obscure Acid House reference)

chippy
22-03-2019, 07:11 AM
Natural Order of Hibernian

BILLYHIBS
22-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Hibees here Hibees there!

Mixu62
22-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Will it cost 90+2 pence?

McrHibee
23-03-2019, 12:06 PM
It might cost that to print each edition.... I'm just awaiting costs for an initial run of about 500... though 92 Minutes was in contention for a possible title

Viva_Palmeiras
23-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Hibees here Hibees there!

London Hibs fanzine...