PDA

View Full Version : NHC You couldn’t make it up .....

Jim44
13-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Copied and pasted from Follow Follow:

RANGERS say the SFA must deal with sectarian abuse aimed at Steven Gerrard by Aberdeen fans.

Some Dons supporters were heard at full-time chanting the bigoted ‘Cheer up…’ song at the Gers gaffer and taunting him with the vile ‘sad Orange b*****d’ lyrics.

It comes a week after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned clubs to sort out fans’ sectarian behaviour or her Government will step in.

A Gers spokesperson said: “The match delegate is aware of sectarian chants from some Aberdeen fans and it is up to the SFA to deal with that.”

SunSport has asked Aberdeen for comment.

For decades fans have put a sectarian slant on The Monkees’ classic Daydream Believer to taunt opposing players and managers.

Last month Rangers-daft funnyman Andy Cameron, 79, blasted those who unleashed the bigoted version of the ‘Cheer up…’ chorus at their rivals.

Pots and kettles, glasshouses and so on .........:rolleyes:

MyJo
13-03-2019, 04:03 PM
This should be fun.

Diclonius
13-03-2019, 04:04 PM
They probably will punish 300 fans wearing red before 50,000 fans wearing blue or hoops.

Tornadoes70
13-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Wow

Surely they've heard of the word 'irony' and its meaning?

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2019, 04:19 PM
The Rangers have the same right to be free of sectarian abuse as every other club, and taunting them with Orange ******** is unacceptable. If we are to defeat the problem, sectarianism must be eradicated from all sides. Of course Rangers, as the biggest part of the problem, really do have some brass neck here; but, on the other hand, their sudden interest in sectarian abuse leaves them with nowhere to hide when Rangers fans next partake in such behaviour i.e. their next fixture and every game after that. Every time Rangers fans sing bigoted songs, simply ask them whether the match delegate is aware of it....

The only way to end sectarianism is zero tolerance on all sides, which, in my opinion, will require strict liability. Clubs simply asking their fans to behave does nothing.

DetroitHibs
13-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Maybe we can sit on our hands and adopt the American version of singing. Maybe a "Defense" chat and something like "Let's go Hibees"

HoboHarry
13-03-2019, 04:23 PM
The Rangers have the same right to be free of sectarian abuse as every other club, and taunting them with Orange ******** is unacceptable. If we are to defeat the problem, sectarianism must be eradicated from all sides. Of course Rangers, as the biggest part of the problem, really do have some brass neck here; but, on the other hand, their sudden interest in sectarian abuse leaves them with nowhere to hide when Rangers fans next partake in such behaviour i.e. their next fixture and every game after that. Every time Rangers fans sing bigoted songs, simply ask them whether the match delegate is aware of it....

The only way to end sectarianism is zero tolerance on all sides, which, in my opinion, will require strict liability. Clubs simply asking their fans to behave does nothing.
That was pretty much my reaction when I read it, they've painted themselves into a corner by complaining. Whether the press will mention bigoted shouting from Sevco fans is of course another matter.......

Bostonhibby
13-03-2019, 04:24 PM
The only solution is to award Sevco the cup now.

Imagine them having to listen to sectarian singing and the authorities standing idly by.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

calamitus
13-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Trumpian deflection.

Since452
13-03-2019, 04:27 PM
Was Andy Cameron not on camera at a Rangers (RIP) game many moons ago singing the sash or another "folk" song?

ancient hibee
13-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Was Andy Cameron not on camera at a Rangers (RIP) game many moons ago singing the sash or another "folk" song?
No.

The 90+2
13-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Hahahahahaha ahhhhhh hahahahahahahahaha

kdhibees1
13-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Awwww. Poor lambs:na na:

Keith_M
13-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Sad Orange B... is NOT sectarian.

Being an Orangeman is not equivelant to being a member of a religion. It is more closely related to supremacist organisations that despise other groups... in their case, Roman Catholics.

This is just typical whitabootery that we've come to expect from these people.

Fans of The Rangers are the Ultimate Bigots.

Scouse Hibee
13-03-2019, 05:17 PM
I don’t think any club should allow Rangers to think they have the right to highlight this problem and give themselves a clean slate by doing so. The response should be each and every club providing the hours and hours of footage they have of Rangers fans doing exactly what Rangers are complaining about. This footage will be available from this season, last week and indeed without a doubt last night. Their absolute arrogance in complaining about a problem that they are one of the main contributors of is scandalous.

Bostonhibby
13-03-2019, 05:17 PM
So did those beastly Aberdeen fans make them surrender then they cried?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

jacomo
13-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Orange and Hun are mildly perjorative nicknames for anyone of the Rangers tribe, not sectarian abuse. Discuss.

And Stevie Gerrard is Catholic.

The whataboutery and faux outrage is reaching ludicrous levels. IMO.

The 90+2
13-03-2019, 05:22 PM
They didn’t have the chance to sing anything about McInnes because a they aware behind after about 2 mins and b he’s one of them.

What a bunch of actual fuds.

The 90+2
Orange and Hun are mildly perjorative nicknames for anyone of the Rangers tribe, not sectarian abuse. Discuss.

And Stevie Gerrard is Catholic.

The whataboutery and faux outrage is reaching ludicrous levels. IMO.

I would say orange =proddy.

Amazinsauzee
Orange is certainly not a sectarian insult

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2019, 05:23 PM

Being an Orangeman is not equivelant to being a member of a religion. It is more closely related to supremacist organisations that despise other groups... in their case, Roman Catholics.

I disagree, it is sectarian. Not all Rangers supporters are religious Protestants, far less members of the OO. To refer to their entire support as being members/supporters of the OO is to attach a religious stereotype which is meant as a slur. It's a chant which shouldn't be heard at football stadia.

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Orange is certainly not a sectarian insult

It is when aimed at someone who isn't a member of the Orange Order but who is assumed to be Protestant.

Amazinsauzee
13-03-2019, 05:25 PM
It is when aimed at someone who isn't a member of the Orange Order but who is assumed to be Protestant.

Totally disagree the Orange Order are a bigoted hate group

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Totally disagree the Orange Order are a bigoted hate group

I have no time for the Orange Order, but the vast majority of Rangers fans are not members of it; thus referring to them in such a manner is sectarian.

Amazinsauzee
13-03-2019, 05:31 PM
I have no time for the Orange Order, but the vast majority of Rangers fans are not members of it; thus referring to them in such a manner is sectarian.

Most however do revel in it with the orange and sashed strips that the supporters have been loving - they obviously aren’t all members though I agree

jacomo
13-03-2019, 05:36 PM

Ok, on the other side, I would ‘Tim’ is a mildly perjorative nickname too. Fenian has more historical associations so could be considered sectarian.

Keith_M
13-03-2019, 05:36 PM
I disagree, it is sectarian. Not all Rangers supporters are religious Protestants, far less members of the OO. To refer to their entire support as being members/supporters of the OO is to attach a religious stereotype which is meant as a slur. It's a chant which shouldn't be heard at football stadia.

A very large MAJORITY of The Rangers Fans define themselves as being on the Orange side of the great divide. The minority that don't happily sit in silence as the others belt out their bigoted songs.

If they define themselves as that kind of BIGOT, then what's wrong with calling them out for it?

WoreTheGreen
13-03-2019, 05:37 PM

I’am a proddy but would never go near a tanning shop

jacomo
13-03-2019, 05:41 PM
A very large MAJORITY of The Rangers Fans define themselves as being on the Orange side of the great divide. The minority that don't happily sit in silence as the others belt out their bigoted songs.

If they define themselves as that kind of BIGOT, then what's wrong with calling them out for it?

:agree:

They’ve adopted orange as their colour. It goes well beyond the orange order.

The 90+2
13-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Is there many catholic orangemen?

Sorry I meant that if your called orange it’s because your as staunch as they come proddy hate fenian kind of person.

The other flip side is they bring orange tops out and claim it’s nothing to do with bigotry.

Amazinsauzee
13-03-2019, 05:46 PM

Sorry I meant that if your called orange it’s because your as staunch as they come proddy hate fenian kind of person.

The other flip side is they bring orange tops out and claim it’s nothing to do with bigotry.

I wouldn’t think there would be many Prodestant Orangemen that haven’t followed a club that has played out of Ibrox

The Modfather
13-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Well this thread is predictably depressing. Rather than discuss and condemn the singing, and also point out the hilarious irony in Rangers complaining about sectarian singing. We have a discussion about semantics and how, bizarrely, in the context of Scotland and Scottish football orange isn’t actually sectarian.

WoreTheGreen
13-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Just a thought why don’t they ditch the orange strip to start the ball rolling. I know it will never happen as the old firm live on fans ignorance

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Well this thread is predictably depressing. Rather than discuss and condemn the singing, and also point out the hilarious irony in Rangers complaining about sectarian singing. We have a discussion about semantics and how, bizarrely, in the context of Scotland and Scottish football orange isn’t actually sectarian.

Sammy7nil
13-03-2019, 05:57 PM
I don’t think any club should allow Rangers to think they have the right to highlight this problem and give themselves a clean slate by doing so. The response should be each and every club providing the hours and hours of footage they have of Rangers fans doing exactly what Rangers are complaining about. This footage will be available from this season, last week and indeed without a doubt last night. Their absolute arrogance in complaining about a problem that they are one of the main contributors of is scandalous.

Almost totally agree they should be robustly challenged on their record. However no one should have to put up with that nonsense.

The 90+2
13-03-2019, 05:59 PM

I would have thought by linking them both it was condemning but still pissing myself laughing that they can somehow be outraged at this.

The 90+2
13-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Just a thought why don’t they ditch the orange strip to start the ball rolling. I know it will never happen as the old firm live on fans ignorance

They’ve probably sold as many as they could and now statement time.

They really really can’t take it losing. A bigger bully you would never or could ever find.

Sammy7nil
13-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Rangers should take a look at LD's statement.

Diclonius
13-03-2019, 06:06 PM
I actually can't believe that we're discussing whether or not "sad orange *******" is a sectarian term.

This is why sectarianism exists, people. People just want to condemn the side they dislike the most and condone the other one. I'd expect it on Kerrydale Street but not here.

Onion
13-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Trumpian deflection.

Now there's an orange barsteward :wink:

Hibsman07
13-03-2019, 06:21 PM
I actually can't believe that we're discussing whether or not "sad orange *******" is a sectarian term.

This is why sectarianism exists, people. People just want to condemn the side they dislike the most and condone the other one. I'd expect it on Kerrydale Street but not here.

Pure unadulterated ignorance is why. Beggars the question as to how many Huns or Soapies actually practise their faith. Not many would be my guess.

I am Protestant and yet have sung some vile stuff against my own religion. All in a puerile attempt to be accepted in a particular social group/entity.

Truth be told , i just love Hibs and that should be the focus rather than hating "them" (i.e.the Uglies and Sc**B*s)

Keith_M
13-03-2019, 06:23 PM

I see, so if somebody disagrees with that viewpoint, they're part of the reason for sectarianism.

:rolleyes:

Mick O'Rourke
13-03-2019, 06:26 PM
I have no time for the Orange Order,
but the vast majority of Rangers fans are not members of it; thus referring to them in such a manner is sectarian.

Possibly, however, the vast majority of Scottish/North of Ireland Orangemen,who follow football,will,in the main, be rAngers fans.

As will the vast majority who attend/spectate at their annual parades.

Protestantism of course does not necessarily equate to Orangeism.
But the reverse would be true.

Chez
13-03-2019, 06:26 PM
:greengrin likewise

Captain Trips
13-03-2019, 06:28 PM

It is indeed a secterian term but its like Ted Bundy moaning about a shoplifter.

Mick O'Rourke
13-03-2019, 06:29 PM
Now there's an orange barsteward :wink:

:tee hee: About time he was "tangoed"!

bringbackbenny
13-03-2019, 06:35 PM

pretty confident he was caught given it laldy at the 1993 cup final. Maybe he's just a 90 min bigot like the rest of them?

Mick O'Rourke
13-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Pure unadulterated ignorance is why. Beggars the question as to how many Huns or Soapies actually practise their faith. Not many would be my guess.

I am Protestant and yet have sung some vile stuff against my own religion. All in a puerile attempt to be accepted in a particular social group/entity.

Truth be told , i just love Hibs and that should be the focus rather than hating "them" (i.e.the Uglies and Sc**B*s)

Very good point
Many people i have met , who, when asked, would describe their religion as Protestant,
were never christened/baptised or attended church.

Maybe went the Boys Brigade or Sunday School back in the day.

Possibly equating going to a state school with that to i suppose.

" i went to a proddy school" they would say.

One Day

you can be one without the other,

The Spaceman
The most bigoted, sectarian club on this earth accusing big bad Aberdeen of sectarianism...you just can't make it up.

Time for Scottish football to stand up to these pricks. Every club release an anti-sectarian message directly accusing The Rangers of their disgusting party songs after every game.

The 90+2
13-03-2019, 06:39 PM
you can be one without the other,

You can be an Orangeman without being a proddy? If so I apologise but that’s also the perception it gives and that is sectarian.

If I’m singing a cheer up song it’s Jambo Celtic or Rangers.

jacomo
13-03-2019, 06:43 PM

You’ve got it the wrong way about.

ONLY in Scotland is ‘orange’ defined as sectarian.

One Day
You can be an Orangeman without being a proddy? If so I apologise but that’s also the perception it gives and that is sectarian.

If I’m singing a cheer up song it’s Jambo Celtic or Rangers.

you can be a proddy without being an Orangeman, would be interesting to find out just how many of them who sing the sash etc. are actually members of the orange order

Diclonius
It is indeed a secterian term but its like Ted Bundy moaning about a shoplifter.

That I have no arguments about. It is indeed hypocritical for Rangers to complain about sectarian abuse, but that doesn't make it any less sectarian.

I'd rather they were complaining about non-sectarian chanting from non-OF fans. We shouldn't go down to their level.

Michael
13-03-2019, 06:47 PM
This will be a good thing. Now that Rangers have complained about sectarian singing other clubs will now raise complaints when Rangers fans do it.

Keith_M
13-03-2019, 06:52 PM
Surely the Aberdeen Fas were singing this about a Roman Catholic manager of that club with a considerable sense of irony.

The Rangers Fans, on the other hand, are the pure, Orange, Bigot version, with apparently no sense of irony whatsoever.

Torto7
13-03-2019, 06:55 PM
The most bigoted, sectarian club on this earth accusing big bad Aberdeen of sectarianism...you just can't make it up.

Time for Scottish football to stand up to these pricks. Every club release an anti-sectarian message directly accusing The Rangers of their disgusting party songs after every game.

Hibs have had ample opportunities to do this and have shat it everytime. Stubbs and Lennon were subjected to 90 mins of abuse everytime we played them purely because they're catholics and our board said zilch.

marinello59
13-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Hibs have had ample opportunities to do this and have shat it everytime. Stubbs and Lennon were subjected to 90 mins of abuse everytime we played them purely because they're catholics and our board said zilch.

Stubbs and Lennon were subjected to abuse which was totally unacceptable. But a constant 90 minutes? That didn’t happen. We need to have an honest debate, not over egg things.

Aldo
13-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Always the victim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
13-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Always the victim!

What was the phrase:

Sevco: Offended by everything ashamed of nothing.

Aldo
13-03-2019, 07:30 PM
What was the phrase:

Along those lines.

I wonder if the statement would have been made if they had won the game??

mca
13-03-2019, 07:32 PM
This will be a good thing. Now that Rangers have complained about sectarian singing other clubs will now raise complaints when Rangers fans do it.

I Hope so... there's going to be a lot of complaints...

Mick O'Rourke
13-03-2019, 07:35 PM
What was the phrase:

That should be on their club badge or above the stadium entrance .

Very apt

Iain G
13-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Can someone please explain how the words in the phrase "funnyman Andy Cameron" go together?!?

Eyrie
13-03-2019, 07:39 PM
What was the phrase:

I thought that was Celtc fans.

Although it can be hard to tell the difference when it's only who they target with mindless hatred that separates them.

Casey1875
13-03-2019, 08:02 PM

However proddy does not equal orange so I would argue not sectarian.

marinello59
13-03-2019, 08:34 PM
However proddy does not equal orange so I would argue not sectarian.

Fenian doesn’t equal Catholic so are you arguing that’s not sectarian either?

Smartie
13-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Orange B used in this context is most certainly sectarian, and it shouldn't be considered acceptable in any Scottish ground.

Orangeism shouldn't really have any place in modern Scotland full stop though.

Kudos to the Rangers board for presenting Scottish football with an opportunity to end their pish once and for all.

I can't believe their brass neck.

They don't like the aftermath of a Scottish Cup defeat, do they?

MyJo
13-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Here’s an idea.

Ask rangers what they think an appropriate punishment would be for Aberdeen as a result of their fans openly singing sectarian songs and then apply that same punishment to them every time their fans belt out the billy boys and such like in future.

Also ask them to confirm that the suggestion of someone being “orange” is, to them, a sectarian gesture and ask why then they feel it appropriate to wear orange and blue strips given the sectarian undertones and their offence as being referred to as “orange b*******”

The 90+2
13-03-2019, 08:59 PM
you can be a proddy without being an Orangeman, would be interesting to find out just how many of them who sing the sash etc. are actually members of the orange order

I know you can. Orangeman without being a proddy tho is highly doubtful.

Diclonius
13-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Orange B used in this context is most certainly sectarian, and it shouldn't be considered acceptable in any Scottish ground.

Orangeism shouldn't really have any place in modern Scotland full stop though.

Kudos to the Rangers board for presenting Scottish football with an opportunity to end their pish once and for all.

I can't believe their brass neck.

They don't like the aftermath of a Scottish Cup defeat, do they?

Well, just consider who they've gone out to since liquidation: Dundee Utd, Dundee Utd, Raith, Hibs, Celtic, Celtic, Aberdeen.

Aside from Raith, probably their four least favourite clubs. It's become seasonal heartbreak with added humiliation every time.

Hermit Crab
13-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Copied and pasted from Follow Follow:

RANGERS say the SFA must deal with sectarian abuse aimed at Steven Gerrard by Aberdeen fans.

Some Dons supporters were heard at full-time chanting the bigoted ‘Cheer up…’ song at the Gers gaffer and taunting him with the vile ‘sad Orange b*****d’ lyrics.

It comes a week after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned clubs to sort out fans’ sectarian behaviour or her Government will step in.

A Gers spokesperson said: “The match delegate is aware of sectarian chants from some Aberdeen fans and it is up to the SFA to deal with that.”

SunSport has asked Aberdeen for comment.

For decades fans have put a sectarian slant on The Monkees’ classic Daydream Believer to taunt opposing players and managers.

Last month Rangers-daft funnyman Andy Cameron, 79, blasted those who unleashed the bigoted version of the ‘Cheer up…’ chorus at their rivals.

Pots and kettles, glasshouses and so on .........:rolleyes:

Andy Cameron is a fat hun prick! He used to belt out that "Simply The Best" ditty with all the party lyrics before they had to edit the song.

adhibs
13-03-2019, 09:05 PM
them complaining about secterianism has to be the most surreal thing in scottish football for a very long time. Hopefully it comes back to bite them big time.

Jim44
13-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Can someone please explain how the words in the phrase "funnyman Andy Cameron" go together?!?

Best example of an oxymoron I’ve come across in a while.

Franck Stanton
13-03-2019, 09:11 PM
I wouldn’t think there would be many Prodestant Orangemen that haven’t followed a club that has played out of Ibrox

I used to think that as well, however, when I Lived in Polbeth, just outside West Calder, the local leader of their branch of the order ,to my surprise was a hibs s/ t holder.

Dinkydoo
13-03-2019, 09:22 PM
STV now running with an article that Police are investigating the secterian chanting.

This is actually quite worrying. Instead of saying hey, this happens up and down the country on a weekly basis (especially by YOUR supporters), let's tackle this sensibly and address the wider problem, the authorities are going to entertain an investigation on word from the biggest culprits of this behaviour in the country.

Stuff Brexit, I think I might be the one who just ****ing leaves.

CentreLine
13-03-2019, 09:39 PM
I hope they investigate the “we are the peep o “ chant too. Let’s put all this sectarian stuff to bed at once. Now that new rangers are highlighting things the authorities can go to town

DaveF
13-03-2019, 09:48 PM
STV now running with an article that Police are investigating the secterian chanting.

Good.

All it needs now is for other clubs to make the same complaints when playing the zombie huns. Whether they have the bottle is another matter.

WhileTheChief..
13-03-2019, 09:55 PM
Very good point
Many people i have met , who, when asked, would describe their religion as Protestant,

I agree but also think it’s very different with Celtic fans in Glasgow.

I know plenty, and every single one of them goes to Mass regularly with their parents, wives, kids etc. It’s very much part of their lives.

None of the Rangers fans I work with go to church.

HibeeHibernian4
13-03-2019, 09:56 PM

That depends on how one arrives at that conclusion. Do you go:

Orange Order

Protestant

Rangers Football Club

or

Orange Order

Rangers Football Club

I can say, hand on heart, that I don't link it to Protestantism in the slightest. I see a club that, as an identity, revels in being dominant (especially over the Irish immigrant clubs), which is entirely in-keeping with the Orange ideals. To me, shouting 'orange *******s' at a Rangers end that are gleefully singing about their supposedly superior orange culture is like shouting 'white supremacist *******s' at a KKK rally. That's not a comparison that everyone is going to agree with or accept, however.

However, because some people link the Orange Order with Protestantism and thus believe it to be sectarian, I do not shout/sing the word 'orange' in any context when inside a football ground. I personally don't see any issue with it, but I respect the majority disagree with me on this.

Ringothedog
13-03-2019, 10:03 PM
I know you can. Orangeman without being a proddy tho is highly doubtful.

You can be a Protestant without being a bigot as I am, you cannot be a Orangeman without being a bigot albeit they are Protestant as well.

JeMeSouviens
13-03-2019, 10:10 PM

Possibly if the person doing the aiming is non-protestant. The vast majority of the Sheepies will have been at least of protestant extraction if mostly not committed Christians.

JeMeSouviens
13-03-2019, 10:14 PM
You can be a Protestant without being a bigot as I am, you cannot be a Orangeman without being a bigot albeit they are Protestant as well.

Agreed. The Orange Order are not defined by being Protestants. They are a band of anti-Catholic bigots.

Having said that, I think it’s worth steering clear of the word and leave Orangeism and its baggage to the Huns.

The word Hun is different. They’ve just decided that’s bigoted so they can act like victims.

JeMeSouviens
13-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Fenian doesn’t equal Catholic so are you arguing that’s not sectarian either?

In west central Scotland fenian absolutely does mean Catholic.

AgentDaleCooper
13-03-2019, 10:20 PM

semantics.

it's use clearly falls under 'things associated with sectarianism', and is often used with sectarian intent, i would argue. it's not exactly irrelevant to the political situation from which sectarianism stems from.

if we want rid of sectarianism, it'll need to be done with pretty broad brush strokes.

HibeeHibernian4
13-03-2019, 10:32 PM
if we want rid of sectarianism, it'll need to be done with pretty broad brush strokes.

This is where we strongly disagree.

If we want to rid Scottish football of sectarianism, what the SNP need to do is simply go on the (currently only imagined) 'witch hunt against ra bears' that Rangers fans constantly bleat on about.

Clamp down on Rangers' support, muzzle them with legislation that proscribes their anti-Catholic songbook, arrest those who contravene it and you will soon find that sectarianism leaves the game.

Celtic's sectarianism is retaliatory to the rampant sectarianism of their rivals, and they will have nothing to retaliate against, so that goes.

Ours and Aberdeen's 'sectarianism' (which isn't sectarianism in the first place) is also retaliatory, so that goes.

The only problem club you'd have left is Hearts, although you'd hope that they would see the error of their ways and get the fringe element of the 'Gorgie Billy Boys' stamped out.

Appeasing Rangers and buying into their myth that both sides are at it gives them the validation to carry on singing what they like, as they (cynically or mistakenly) believe that Celtic are doing the same. They're not.

Go after Rangers and this would be solved extremely quickly, but the reason why it won't happen is because the Scottish footballing establishment would have to attack itself in the process.

beensaidbefore
13-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Surely the simplest solution to this problem would be to insist tickets are sold on the condition each club had a photograph database of everyone they sell tickets to.

Make it mandatory for stewards to wear cameras to catch all the dicks, including the stewards. Film the support if necessary.

Surely cant be hard in this day and age. Good opportunity for face painters round the ground too.

cabbageandribs1875
13-03-2019, 10:52 PM

not in my name :agree: they don't belong in a modern 21st century

AgentDaleCooper
13-03-2019, 11:01 PM
This is where we strongly disagree.

If we want to rid Scottish football of sectarianism, what the SNP need to do is simply go on the (currently only imagined) 'witch hunt against ra bears' that Rangers fans constantly bleat on about.

Clamp down on Rangers' support, muzzle them with legislation that proscribes their anti-Catholic songbook, arrest those who contravene it and you will soon find that sectarianism leaves the game.

Celtic's sectarianism is retaliatory to the rampant sectarianism of their rivals, and they will have nothing to retaliate against, so that goes.

Ours and Aberdeen's 'sectarianism' (which isn't sectarianism in the first place) is also retaliatory, so that goes.

The only problem club you'd have left is Hearts, although you'd hope that they would see the error of their ways and get the fringe element of the 'Gorgie Billy Boys' stamped out.

Appeasing Rangers and buying into their myth that both sides are at it gives them the validation to carry on singing what they like, as they (cynically or mistakenly) believe that Celtic are doing the same. They're not.

Go after Rangers and this would be solved extremely quickly, but the reason why it won't happen is because the Scottish footballing establishment would have to attack itself in the process.

I get where you are coming from, but to say that Celtic's sectarianism is retaliatory is not really grasping how malignant the problem is.

Historically speaking, you might be right, but the historical basis only serves as a frame of reference for thugs who perpetrate violence and bigotry. I guarantee you there will be plenty Celtc fans from protestant back grounds who don't have a clue what any of it means, but are part of the green brigade, sing songs about the IRA, batter people, and just buy into the whole thing and use it as an excuse to act like a tw@t.

This is why it annoys me a bit when people use semantics and etymology to justify the use of terms that we use, but not those of others. It gets us nowhere, opens us up to charges of hypocrisy, and the stand off ensues.

It also misses the point that football is basically a tribal outlet for people, a lot of whom don't really have much direction in life, and are perfectly happy to swallow a bunch of words and hurl them at people they have never met because it makes them feel part of something.

Iain G
13-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Best example of an oxymoron I’ve come across in a while.

Or a Broxymoron? :-)

HibeeHibernian4
14-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Historically speaking, you might be right, but the historical basis only serves as a frame of reference for thugs who perpetrate violence and bigotry. I guarantee you there will be plenty Celtc fans from protestant back grounds who don't have a clue what any of it means, but are part of the green brigade, sing songs about the IRA, batter people, and just buy into the whole thing and use it as an excuse to act like a tw@t.

We're definitely on the same page regarding Celtic fans behaving like ********s, I despise them and their songbook that sings about the Provisional IRA as much as the Original Irish Republican Army (an important distinction, to a proud republican like myself).

I just don't think any of it is sectarian, and when it is, it's in retaliation to Rangers'. Does that mean I should condone it? Absolutely not. But if you want to stamp it out, go after Rangers and Celtic would fall into place because they aren't sectarian by their very nature.

If you placed 5000 Rangers fans in a void without the context of Scottish football, they would still sing and shout sectarian things.

If you placed 5000 Celtic fans in a void without the context of Scottish football, they would not.

DetroitHibs
14-03-2019, 12:43 AM
Honestly all the sectarian pish they sing doesn’t bother me in the slightest. This day and age off being offended by everything and anything is beyond sad. Dons fans could complain about being called Sheep ****gers next. In the grand scheme of things, your accusing them of beastiality. In reality it’s just a wind up and a laugh. We know they don’t really rake buckets for deed rats, but it’s a funny chant.

Barney McGrew
14-03-2019, 05:01 AM
Amusingly, Rangers have just opened up the biggest can of whataboutery there will ever be - every time they’re at it from now on, it will be called out.

Perversely they’ve probably caused themselves a massive headache.

It’s hilarious :greengrin

berwickhibee
14-03-2019, 05:27 AM
Nobody mentioned the object thrown in at ibrox on tuesday??

A towel i think😂

marinello59
14-03-2019, 05:35 AM

I agree.
And in the West of Scotland Orange does mean Protestant. Which was my point.

Amazinsauzee
14-03-2019, 05:42 AM
I agree.
And in the West of Scotland Orange does mean Protestant. Which was my point.

But that’s not true I have lived all my life in Glasgow been brought up Prodestant (though not religious in anyway) and have never been called Orange...., been called a Fenian plenty of times though which is strange

The Modfather
14-03-2019, 05:46 AM
But that’s not true I have lived all my life in Glasgow been brought up Prodestant (though not religious in anyway) and have never been called Orange...., been called a Fenian plenty of times though which is strange

How often you’ve encountered being called Orange or Fenian doesn’t change the meaning of those terms in Scotland/the west though.

marinello59
14-03-2019, 05:50 AM

I lived in Glasgow for a few years myself. The term was certainly used in a deragatory way towards Protestants.
If you were called a Fenian when following Hibs it’s not really strange is it?

Amazinsauzee
14-03-2019, 05:55 AM
I lived in Glasgow for a few years myself. The term was certainly used in a deragatory way towards Protestants.
If you were called a Fenian when following Hibs it’s not really strange is it?

I would certainly say it was strange as I wasn’t at the football and how anybody would know my religion just walking past me in the street is a special talent, I wasn’t really bothered one way or the other just thought it was strange

CentreLine
14-03-2019, 06:00 AM

Very true, despite the fact that a significant proportion of fenians were non catholic. They came from the disadvantaged communities of Ireland, a large number of whom were non catholic but were Protestant dissenters who refused to embrace the establishment exposed Church of Ireland.

Most of the leaders of Irish “rebellion” were Protestant, people like Robert Emmet in 1823 and including some of the leaders of the 1916 rising.

Of course fenianism saw the rise of organisations like the Whiteboys and of course the Peep O’ Day Boys. We are the people (peep o’) is one of the most sectarian chants to come out of Ibrox.

500miles
14-03-2019, 06:02 AM

Rangers revel in their anti Catholic bigotry. They have supporters club who go out on orange walks. The club shirt can be seen here there and everywhere during marching season. Rangers have made a fortune out of indulging these anti Catholic factions. It takes no leap at all to paint the club with the same brush as the movement they have aligned themselves with.

Amazinsauzee
14-03-2019, 06:11 AM
Rangers revel in their anti Catholic bigotry. They have supporters club who go out on orange walks. The club shirt can be seen here there and everywhere during marching season. Rangers have made a fortune out of indulging these anti Catholic factions. It takes no leap at all to paint the club with the same brush as the movement they have aligned themselves with.

Couldn’t have said it better myself

neil7908
14-03-2019, 07:22 AM
You won't get any clearer examples of the sheer bias and favouritism in Scottish football than what we have seen this week.

First it emerges that Gerrard gets an apology from a ref for a bad call. There should be an investigation into that immediately - how many other times has this ref apologised to managers, which managers and when?

Then we have the almost so surreal you'd think it was April Fool's day scenario of Sevco not only complaining about sectarian chanting but the the police actually investigating!

Larry Burns
14-03-2019, 09:42 AM
They sang "sad, scouser *******"

This is just poor me, made up hun nonsense

It's what they tend to do when they're hurting bad

Mantis Toboggan
14-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Honestly all the sectarian pish they sing doesn’t bother me in the slightest. This day and age off being offended by everything and anything is beyond sad. Dons fans could complain about being called Sheep ****gers next. In the grand scheme of things, your accusing them of beastiality. In reality it’s just a wind up and a laugh. We know they don’t really rake buckets for deed rats, but it’s a funny chant.

I'm not offended by everything and everything. But I am offended by sectarianism. Noone has suggested stopping any other sort of chants that I have seen.

marinello59
14-03-2019, 11:38 AM
They sang "sad, scouser *******"

This is just poor me, made up hun nonsense

It's what they tend to do when they're hurting bad

Sad scouser B? Is that true. They definitely sang sad Fenian b at our manager.

Larry Burns
14-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Sad scouser B? Is that true. They definitely sang sad Fenian b at our manager.

I remember the LC tie

But it was definitely Scouser ******* on Tuesday

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2019, 12:12 PM
How can anybody even comment on this and keep a straight face.

Its like someone whose garden is an overgrown jungle with old mattresses and cars on bricks littering it complaining to the council because he saw the guy next door with an award winning garden putting rubbish in the wrong bin :faf:

Side splitting hypocrisy aside …. perhaps an official complaint from Sevco about the Aberdeen fans is just what we need in order to make progress in eradicating sectarianism from our game. You cant moan about 900 Aberdeen fans doing something once and ignore 50,000 of your own fans doing the same and worse all the time season after season.

Gaz
14-03-2019, 12:16 PM
How can anybody even comment on this and keep a straight face.

Its like someone whose garden is an overgrown jungle with old mattresses and cars on bricks littering it complaining to the council because he saw the guy next door with an award winning garden putting rubbish in the wrong bin :faf:

Side splitting hypocrisy aside …. perhaps an official complaint from Sevco about the Aberdeen fans is just what we need in order to make progress in eradicating sectarianism from our game. You cant moan about 900 Aberdeen fans doing something once and ignore 50,000 of your own fans doing the same and worse all the time season after season.

:aok:

Smartie
14-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Where is this story, and where are the quotes?

I've seen it mentioned on here but not much mentioned elsewhere, and I'd have thought (hoped) that such rip-roaring hypocrisy would be big news, if not in the mainstream media but certainly online?

Deansy
14-03-2019, 01:51 PM

The Hun will have NOTHING to hide from because our esteemed 'media' ('Old S*um' PR) will say nothing as usual !

Famous Fiver
14-03-2019, 03:36 PM
I would like Gordon Smith former SFA Chief Executive? to talk us through the difference between the bigotry apparently expounded by the Aberdeen fans the other night and the 'folk songs' which he quite proudly claimed Rangers fans have been singing for decades.

SChibs
14-03-2019, 03:40 PM
I wish rangers would just **** off

Captain Trips
14-03-2019, 03:55 PM
If he hadnt died Sevco would be on "Beadles About"

Keith_M
14-03-2019, 05:50 PM
semantics.

it's use clearly falls under 'things associated with sectarianism', and is often used with sectarian intent, i would argue. it's not exactly irrelevant to the political situation from which sectarianism stems from.

And what about what it's done out of anti-sectarian intent?

The Green Goblin
14-03-2019, 05:57 PM
At ER last Friday, they were belting out the Billy Boys and others. Full lyrics. As they always do.

The problem is that those with the power to challenge it are part of the same world which does it.

Jim44
14-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Where is this story, and where are the quotes?

I've seen it mentioned on here but not much mentioned elsewhere, and I'd have thought (hoped) that such rip-roaring hypocrisy would be big news, if not in the mainstream media but certainly online?

On BBC Reporting Scotland just now. Police to investigate the issue.

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2019, 05:59 PM
On Reporting Scotland tonight The Rangers complaining about Aberdeen fans singing sectarian songs about Slippy G

You are correct you could not make it up!

Now where is that can of worms emoji? :greengrin

Stonewall
14-03-2019, 06:02 PM
On Reporting Scotland tonight The Rangers complaining about Aberdeen fans singing sectarian songs about Slippy G

I’m still letting that one sink in.

Credit to the presenter fo saying it with a straight face though.

green day
14-03-2019, 06:03 PM

BBC Reporting that Police Scotland are investigating this.................

Let that one sink in:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DetroitHibs
14-03-2019, 06:20 PM
I'm not offended by everything and everything. But I am offended by sectarianism. Noone has suggested stopping any other sort of chants that I have seen.

What about others that are offended by being called sheep ****gers or people that are offended by swearing. Most people are thick skinned enough just to let it not offend them. In all honesty I find it all a laugh. When the Jambos sang all the Hibees are gay, I didn’t take offense, it was mildly amusing. Having that edge and banter makes for a better atmosphere IMO.

Keith_M
14-03-2019, 06:21 PM
Alleged sectarian abuse reported to the Police by Rangers Fans?

Deny and deflect, their usual policy.

Stonewall
14-03-2019, 06:27 PM
BBC Reporting that Police Scotland are investigating this.................

Let that one sink in:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sounds like a country ready for independence.

Onion
14-03-2019, 06:50 PM
The Huns are hurting after yet another humiliating defeat at home and another season of expensive failure to win .... anything. They're not the brightest either, so just lash out at anything they can in the hope of deflecting attention away from their failure, feeding their self-inflicted victim mentality, and appealing to the Neanderthals who enjoy the sanctuary of Ibrox to practice their bigotry on a regular basis with impunity. They'll eventually realise that reporting Aberdeen fans for sectarian chanting wasn't perhaps the most sensible move, with a nasal "Awe Naw", when the penny finally drops.

Sevco - not the brightest.

WoreTheGreen
14-03-2019, 06:54 PM
The Huns are hurting after yet another humiliating defeat at home and another season of expensive failure to win .... anything. They're not the brightest either, so just lash out at anything they can in the hope of deflecting attention away from their failure, feeding their self-inflicted victim mentality, and appealing to the Neanderthals who enjoy the sanctuary of Ibrox to practice their bigotry on a regular basis with impunity. They'll eventually realise that reporting Aberdeen fans for sectarian chanting wasn't perhaps the most sensible move, with a nasal "Awe Naw", when the penny finally drops.

Sevco - not the brightest.

Yeah there nest is full to the brim of s...e

The Modfather
14-03-2019, 06:56 PM
What about others that are offended by being called sheep ****gers or people that are offended by swearing. Most people are thick skinned enough just to let it not offend them. In all honesty I find it all a laugh. When the Jambos sang all the Hibees are gay, I didn’t take offense, it was mildly amusing. Having that edge and banter makes for a better atmosphere IMO.

This thread is about sectarianism and sectarian singing. Why are you conflating sectarian singing with a different debate about the rights and wrongs of singing about sheep ****gers or a set of fans being gay.

Surely it’s possible to find sectarian singing abhorrent but also still enjoy some of the edgy banter betweeen fans.

14-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Alleged sectarian abuse reported to the Police by Rangers Fans?

Deny and deflect, their usual policy.

Have the police investigated an instance like this before or is this a precedent being set? Will be interesting to see if they ever investigate Rangers.

DetroitHibs
14-03-2019, 07:11 PM
This thread is about sectarianism and sectarian singing. Why are you conflating sectarian singing with a different debate about the rights and wrongs of singing about sheep ****gers or a set of fans being gay.

Surely it’s possible to find sectarian singing abhorrent but also still enjoy some of the edgy banter betweeen fans.

I’m point out that offense could be construed on a million different reasons, depending on the individual. Does anyone actually really sit in a stadium and get there blood boiled listening to a bunch of knuckle dragging weegies signing songs you can’t even make out the words to?

weecounty hibby
14-03-2019, 07:12 PM
So next time we have a full stand of Huns or celtic at ER all we need to do is complain about sectarian singing to the police and they will investigate it? Is that how it works? If so then there are only two clubs who will be on bother. So thanks for that the rangers it is a good start in the fight to stamp out bigotry and who would have thought that they would be the instigators

The Modfather
14-03-2019, 08:31 PM
I’m point out that offense could be construed on a million different reasons, depending on the individual. Does anyone actually really sit in a stadium and get there blood boiled listening to a bunch of knuckle dragging weegies signing songs you can’t even make out the words to?

I don’t think it’s acceptable to sing sectarian songs in 2019, you don’t seem to agree. We just have different opinions on this.

500miles
15-03-2019, 06:03 AM
This has really stuck in my mind and got to me. The idea that rangers are victims of sectarian abuse really sits uncomfortablely with me, and it's come to me why. Being called an Orange B is like being called Gammon. Like Gammon, rangers fans think they are called Orange B's because of bigotry in others (anti White racism for Gammon, anti protestant bigotry for rangers fans). However, it's not the case. They are called these things because of the intolerance on and hatred they espouse. And that's fine, because sectarianism, like racism, is not a valid belief system and as such, should not be protected.

Furthermore, as someone who (embarrassingly) has Orangemen in their extended family, and who has been involved in the protestant church himself, I can confirm I have never, by anyone, been referred to as an orange b. I have, in my hibs scarf, been referred to as a fenian though.

SquashedFrogg
15-03-2019, 06:21 AM
Have the police investigated an instance like this before or is this a precedent being set? Will be interesting to see if they ever investigate Rangers.

Interesting point. The Rangers might just have shot themselves in the foot here.

CockneyRebel
15-03-2019, 08:03 AM

What about when Lennon got the same treatment whilst at Hibs? Did the police investigate? I must have missed that one.

Smartie
15-03-2019, 08:41 AM
What about when Lennon got the same treatment whilst at Hibs? Did the police investigate? I must have missed that one.

Nobody complained though.

Hibs were happy to see their employee abused, as they were with his predecessor. No doubt our current incumbent will get similar treatment even though I have no idea if he is a man of religion himself.

As Rangers have complained, the police are duty bound to investigate.

marinello59
15-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Nobody complained though.

Hibs were happy to see their employee abused, as they were with his predecessor. No doubt our current incumbent will get similar treatment even though I have no idea if he is a man of religion himself.

As Rangers have complained, the police are duty bound to investigate.

Hibs were happy to see their employee abused? Sorry, that’s a ridiculous comment. We can argue about how the club handles these situations but that sort of comment isn’t helpful.
Did Nel Lennon or Allan Stubbs report the abuse they received to Police Scotland? Did they ask the club to do so? Do we know if either man wanted the police involved?

WhileTheChief..
15-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Of course fenianism saw the rise of organisations like the Whiteboys and of course the Peep O’ Day Boys. We are the people (peep o’) is one of the most sectarian chants to come out of Ibrox.

Nice one, always wondered what that chant was all about.

Wonder if Pedro knew?!!

HibeeHibernian4
15-03-2019, 11:29 AM
This has really stuck in my mind and got to me. The idea that rangers are victims of sectarian abuse really sits uncomfortablely with me, and it's come to me why. Being called an Orange B is like being called Gammon. Like Gammon, rangers fans think they are called Orange B's because of bigotry in others (anti White racism for Gammon, anti protestant bigotry for rangers fans). However, it's not the case. They are called these things because of the intolerance on and hatred they espouse. And that's fine, because sectarianism, like racism, is not a valid belief system and as such, should not be protected.

Furthermore, as someone who (embarrassingly) has Orangemen in their extended family, and who has been involved in the protestant church himself, I can confirm I have never, by anyone, been referred to as an orange b. I have, in my hibs scarf, been referred to as a fenian though.

Think this is spot on. :agree:

Captain Trips
15-03-2019, 12:11 PM
The bottom line is Aberdeen sing a secterian song this week and its highlighted as an issue. Sevco do this in larger louder numbers week after week and its not highlighted? Disgraceful.

How many times was Neil Lennon a fenian B when we played them? It is a disgrace by the people reporting this to not be saying hold on here.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-03-2019, 12:14 PM
The bottom line is Aberdeen sing a secterian song this week and its highlighted as an issue. Sevco do this in larger louder numbers week after week and its not highlighted? Disgraceful.

You seem surprised!

BILLYHIBS
15-03-2019, 12:15 PM
The whole of the South Stand was bouncing with their sectarian bile on Friday night

It was not a minority

I am still in deep shock

Who do I complain to?

Smartie
15-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Hibs were happy to see their employee abused? Sorry, that’s a ridiculous comment. We can argue about how the club handles these situations but that sort of comment isn’t helpful.
Did Nel Lennon or Allan Stubbs report the abuse they received to Police Scotland? Did they ask the club to do so? Do we know if either man wanted the police involved?

I don't think it is.

As ridiculous as it might seem, Rangers are unhappy with the nature of chanting that was aimed at their manager and have called it out. I don't know if it was with his blessing or not, but if a complaint is made then the police need to investigate. Yes, it is highly hypocritical but they are calling out behaviour that they deem to be unacceptable.

I have a problem that in 21st century Scotland tens of thousands of people can chant about managers being fenian b's unchallenged. It is not acceptable and I will continue to moan about it. Sectarianism in Scotland is so engrained that it has become the norm. It might have been normal behaviour decades ago, it is not now. Steve Clarke didn't like it and was correct to call it out. Neil Lennon was correct to call it out.

It has happened so often to employees of Hibs at Ibrox that I think Hibs are bordering on negligent on not calling it out.

There is a lot that our board have done very well in recent years, and I think LD is absolutely correct to be getting tough with elements within our own support. My main gripe with them these days is their attitude to Sevco whether than be encouraging the inconsistent application of rules that sees Clyde docked points but Rangers not, or their tolerating their sectarianism to the extent that they invite thousands more of them into our home to belt it out on a Friday night.

You either accept it or not. As the phrase goes, you're part of the problem or part of the solution. I don't want to be part of the problem, and by staying quiet and accepting Hibs staying quiet, we are all part of the problem.

Moulin Yarns
15-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Tomorrow will be interesting if Steve Clarke is abused at Ibrox again.

BILLYHIBS
15-03-2019, 12:46 PM
I don't think it is.

As ridiculous as it might seem, Rangers are unhappy with the nature of chanting that was aimed at their manager and have called it out. I don't know if it was with his blessing or not, but if a complaint is made then the police need to investigate. Yes, it is highly hypocritical but they are calling out behaviour that they deem to be unacceptable.

I have a problem that in 21st century Scotland tens of thousands of people can chant about managers being fenian b's unchallenged. It is not acceptable and I will continue to moan about it. Sectarianism in Scotland is so engrained that it has become the norm. It might have been normal behaviour decades ago, it is not now. Steve Clarke didn't like it and was correct to call it out. Neil Lennon was correct to call it out.

It has happened so often to employees of Hibs at Ibrox that I think Hibs are bordering on negligent on not calling it out.

There is a lot that our board have done very well in recent years, and I think LD is absolutely correct to be getting tough with elements within our own support. My main gripe with them these days is their attitude to Sevco whether than be encouraging the inconsistent application of rules that sees Clyde docked points but Rangers not, or their tolerating their sectarianism to the extent that they invite thousands more of them into our home to belt it out on a Friday night.

You either accept it or not. As the phrase goes, you're part of the problem or part of the solution. I don't want to be part of the problem, and by staying quiet and accepting Hibs staying quiet, we are all part of the problem.
:wink:

Kato
15-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Sectarianism has blighted this country for centuries and, despite obvious progress in some areas, it is still alive and well in some sections of society and is kept alive by institutions such as the Orange Lodge and fan bases of certain football clubs. Given that it seeps out into "real life" at times, threatening violence and violent acts, it's maybe time it was stamped out by whatever means.

Cheap jibes about ovine copulation have never actually harmed anyone unless they laughed too hard at the joke, which is doubtful.

matty_f
15-03-2019, 01:03 PM
The whole of the South Stand was bouncing with their sectarian bile on Friday night

It was not a minority

I am still in deep shock

Who do I complain to?

Police Scotland, apparently.

Let us know how you get on...

Monts
15-03-2019, 01:08 PM
I see Nil By Mouth have reared their heads to condemn Aberdeen.

matty_f
15-03-2019, 01:39 PM

It's farcical.

Clearly, sectarian chants by any team shouldn't be accepted, and just because it was against Rangers, it shouldn't be ignored.

That said, the double standards are incredible. It's like putting the kids that finally lost patience with the bully and kicked back on detention and ignoring the bully's behaviour.

If this is how it's going to be then I'd love to see Hibs and Hibs fans complain to Police Scotland and whoever else is involved in calling Aberdeen out, each and every time we hear it from Rangers, Celtic, and Hearts.

The 90+2
15-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Lets all listen loud tomorrow to what the huns start signing about Clarke if they go ahead.

The 90+2
15-03-2019, 01:42 PM
It's farcical.

Clearly, sectarian chants by any team shouldn't be accepted, and just because it was against Rangers, it shouldn't be ignored.

That said, the double standards are incredible. It's like putting the kids that finally lost patience with the bully and kicked back on detention and ignoring the bully's behaviour.

If this is how it's going to be then I'd love to see Hibs and Hibs fans complain to Police Scotland and whoever else is involved in calling Aberdeen out, each and every time we hear it from Rangers, Celtic, and Hearts.

This has to be the way ahead now. Highlight it at every single opportunity.

cabbageandribs1875
15-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Lets all listen loud tomorrow to what the huns start signing about Clarke if they go ahead.

and i already know what they will start singing even if there's just a wee slight stramash between ANY opposition player and one of theirs

if only we could get odds at the bookies on it we could make a fortune

The 90+2
15-03-2019, 01:46 PM
and i already know what they will start singing even if there's just a wee slight stramash between ANY opposition player and one of theirs

Yep. This should reported after every match also.

tonyrougier123
15-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Scottish football is stuck in the doldrums.
Lets face it the sfa would never severely punnish the rangers and celtic for sectarian chanting.
Until change at the sfa happens, and some genuine pioneering projects are attempted in the game up here.we will hear it till the end of time.
They are the games lifeblood in the eyes of the association.the rest of scottish football would do well to break away from them all together.
Summer football and keep our own houses in order, and let some other clubs prosper in a proper league thats about the football.until then it will be same old guff.
The rangers are at it here clearly.
If they could leave the sfa they would jump in a heartbeat.

The 90+2
15-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Scottish football is stuck in the doldrums.
Lets face it the sfa would never severely punnish the rangers and celtic for sectarian chanting.
Until change at the sfa happens, and some genuine pioneering projects are attempted in the game up here.we will hear it till the end of time.
They are the games lifeblood in the eyes of the association.the rest of scottish football would do well to break away from them all together.
Summer football and keep our own houses in order, and let some other clubs prosper in a proper league thats about the football.until then it will be same old guff.
The rangers are at it here clearly.
If they could leave the sfa they would jump in a heartbeat.

I actually see it as a massive chance for the rest of Scottish football to highlight how disgusting the old firm are.

Smartie
15-03-2019, 02:48 PM
I actually see it as a massive chance for the rest of Scottish football to highlight how disgusting the old firm are.

Me too.

With this ridiculous act of hypocrisy, Sevco might have done us all a favour.

We need to take the chance though.

Onion
15-03-2019, 03:01 PM

How many times was Neil Lennon a fenian B when we played them? It is a disgrace by the people reporting this to not be saying hold on here.

Have said for a while now that the best way to get the SFA, SPFL, PS, media and government to start taking action is for all the OTHER clubs' fans to START singing sectarian songs. It was absolutely 100% GUARANTEED to get their attention, outrage and some action. Lo and behold, Dons fans sing some song and Police Scotland click into gear like it something new. You could not make it up !

Appreciate that it's abhorrent and not right, but would kill this issue within a few weeks.

JohnMcM
15-03-2019, 03:53 PM

It's than that though is it not?

It's possibly an opportunity expose the double-standards in both the higher and lower echelons of Scottish Football and dare I say it, Police Scotland?

:flag:

The Modfather
15-03-2019, 03:53 PM
It's farcical.

I said on another thread, in the unlikely event it was us singing sectarian songs. Being pragmatic, I’d be happy for it to be us that got punished if it meant a precedent was set and thus the problem could no longer be ignored.

Would it be fair in that scenario that it was us punished when the Old Firm have gotten away with it for decades, no. However a precedent needs to start somewhere and it clearly won’t start with either of the Old Firm.

Keith_M
15-03-2019, 04:16 PM

Apparently those weegies do, as theyr the ones that complained.

Hibernia&Alba
15-03-2019, 04:19 PM
Until we get strict liability in Scotland we will only hear the same platitudes about how unacceptable it is, whilst the songs continue without punishment.

15-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Classic bully mentality from Sevco. Dish it out in bucket loads, arrogantly puff their chests out and spout their bile and abuse but the moment anything is given back to them its all petted lips, faux outrage and "the big bad boys are picking on us" stuff. Pathetic.

I'm by no means saying that just because Rangers are the main cause of the problem that they should receive sectarianism back. The problem needs to be COMPLETELY eradicated from the game, however you really do have to cringe at yet again that horrible mob, who absolutely live and breathe hatred and bigotry, play the victim card. One again poor wee Rangers being picked on, everyone against them blah blah blah :rolleyes:

I'm in no means condoning any bigotry directed at Rangers but perhaps it gives them a snippet of what the rest of us have to put up with from them every single match day.

Keith_M
15-03-2019, 07:06 PM

Sadly, although they were founded with the best of intentions, they see everything through the prism of West-Coast/Norn-Iron bigotry.

The fact they don't even get the irony of chanting about a Roman Catholic being an Orangeman is quite typical for them.

The question might also be asked about their lack of weekly condemnation for the weekly sectarian chanting of the Bigot Brothers.

Besties Debut
15-03-2019, 07:11 PM
I thought it was Scouse they sung not Orange? I've been attending Hibs Aberdeen games since the 70s and can honestly say I have never heard or seen their fans do anything that should be classed as sectarian.

CentreLine
15-03-2019, 08:52 PM
I thought it was Scouse they sung not Orange? I've been attending Hibs Aberdeen games since the 70s and can honestly say I have never heard or seen their fans do anything that should be classed as sectarian.

That’s just the thing, almost every Rantic fan has never hear or seen anything they would class as sectarian at any of their games. It’s basically why they were so dead against the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act. The defeat of the Scottish Government over that issue, I believe, has set this issue back decades.

I remember singing the Soldiers Song and things like I’m no a Billy I’m a Tim in the late 60s early 70s. Didn’t really know why or what it meant it was just joining in. Certainly plenty of Orange B stuff at rangers players and match officials too so it did happen and in large numbers.

I can also remember a bizarre, non football related incident when on a cub camp. One of the older boys took to yelling Fenian B at passing motorists for some reason. It sounded like such a good little ditty the very small version of me joined in wth great gusto. That was until the older boy told me I couldn’t shout that because I was a cafflic. It would be along time before it dawned on me what it all meant.
Sometimes we have no idea what we are joining in with but a little education goes a long way. It may take a while to sink in for the hard of thinking just maybe this newfound condemnation and drama queen shock and surprise from the SMSM my just start something positive.

Ringothedog
15-03-2019, 09:12 PM

apart from singing that Neil Lennon was a sad fenian ******* at a recent game at Easter Road. They have previous and are no angels.

SquashedFrogg
15-03-2019, 09:29 PM
apart from singing that Neil Lennon was a sad fenian ******* at a recent game at Easter Road. They have previous and are no angels.

Are you sure they actually sung that? None of our group heard that.

cabbageandribs1875
15-03-2019, 09:33 PM

couple of us were disgusted at them singing that :agree:

ozhibs
15-03-2019, 10:36 PM
That’s just the thing, almost every Rantic fan has never hear or seen anything they would class as sectarian at any of their games. It’s basically why they were so dead against the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act. The defeat of the Scottish Government over that issue, I believe, has set this issue back decades.

I remember singing the Soldiers Song and things like I’m no a Billy I’m a Tim in the late 60s early 70s. Didn’t really know why or what it meant it was just joining in. Certainly plenty of Orange B stuff at rangers players and match officials too so it did happen and in large numbers.

I can also remember a bizarre, non football related incident when on a cub camp. One of the older boys took to yelling Fenian B at passing motorists for some reason. It sounded like such a good little ditty the very small version of me joined in wth great gusto. That was until the older boy told me I couldn’t shout that because I was a cafflic. It would be along time before it dawned on me what it all meant.
Sometimes we have no idea what we are joining in with but a little education goes a long way. It may take a while to sink in for the hard of thinking just maybe this newfound condemnation and drama queen shock and surprise from the SMSM my just start something positive.

I remember doing this as well and had no idea why, I don’t know why it stopped but it could have been with upsurge of the troubles in Northern Ireland
GGTTH

marinello59
16-03-2019, 03:10 AM
Are you sure they actually sung that? None of our group heard that.

They did. Loud and clear.

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2019, 04:43 AM
Just been on the Aberdeen fans forum AFC Chat

Their match report thread is headed

Hun C#@£s 0 v 2 Aberdeen. :confused:

Banter is banter but I cannot see Jonnyboy ever using that header next time we win 0-2 at Ibroke. :greengrin

jacomo
16-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Sadly, although they were founded with the best of intentions, they see everything through the prism of West-Coast/Norn-Iron bigotry.

The fact they don't even get the irony of chanting about a Roman Catholic being an Orangeman is quite typical for them.

The question might also be asked about their lack of weekly condemnation for the weekly sectarian chanting of the Bigot Brothers.

Nil by Mouth are not the answer. Blowhards who seem to want to curry favour with the worst offenders, rather than challenge them.

I am actually speechless at this ‘Aberdeen fans giving out sectarian abuse’ story. Absolute nonsense.

Hibernia&Alba
16-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Just been on the Aberdeen fans forum AFC Chat

Their match report thread is headed

Hun C#@£s 0 v 2 Aberdeen. :confused:

Banter is banter but I cannot see Jonnyboy ever using that header next time we win 0-2 at Ibroke. :greengrin

But I would :agree:

Mick O'Rourke
16-03-2019, 11:16 AM
I remember doing this as well and had no idea why, I don’t know why it stopped but it could have been with upsurge of the troubles in Northern Ireland
GGTTH

That may well have been a factor .
The rebel songs seemed to "peter out" in the Cave pre Tornadoes era.

Around that time, late 60s, i used to travel on a supporters bus who had their application to join the Supporters Association knocked back, as they were deemed to be "too republican"

Branch bus conveners would remind fans on route to away games "nae rebel songs on the bus"
I don't know if that was coming from the HSA to branches.
But knowing some of the club officials/committee members back then,i would not be surprised !

GGTTH

Paisley Hibby
16-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Very good point

Catholic schools are state schools too.

Phil MaGlass
16-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Aye yi could be right. Remember some sort of stooshie about it

Phil MaGlass
16-03-2019, 01:04 PM
The fact they ****s are complaining about it could be good for Scottish fitba in the long run. Maybe more action will be taken, although from them it seems like a they started it first mentality and should be punished first. Means the huns can no longer hide when punishments are dished out. We need a strong message.fines.sections closed.points deduction b4 the bigots are drowned out and banished to the past. Clubs fans will soon police their own when point deductions come into play.

cabbageandribs1875
30-03-2019, 08:27 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47750125

Football clubs have been warned that the Scottish government will act if they do not root out sectarianism in the sport.

Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf said the "vile cancer" was a societal problem, and was not just connected to football.

But he said there were far too many incidents of sectarianism around football grounds.

He said clubs must say how they will tackle the problem - and if not, "all options" remain on the table.

i suspect this will be the headlines this time next year, and the year after etc etc, wonder how tomorrows bigotfest will go