PDA

View Full Version : Ref apologises to Gerrard

MacGruber
12-03-2019, 06:48 AM
The only other instance of this I know of is Brendan Rogers getting a phonecall from the ref/officials to apologise. To me it's one of two things:-

1. Proof positive that old firm bias is very much real and thriving with our officials.

2. All the non-old firm clubs/managers also receive apologies from time to time from refs/officials but it is just not reported or deemed news worthy as we are insignificant in the media.

...... or 3 I suppose that there has been reported apologies to the rest and I've missed them all and just waking up early in a strop 🤔

lyonhibs
12-03-2019, 07:03 AM
Link please. What was the apology for? Was it merited based on the facts?

JimBHibees
12-03-2019, 07:05 AM
The only other instance of this I know of is Brendan Rogers getting a phonecall from the ref/officials to apologise. To me it's one of two things:-

1. Proof positive that old firm bias is very much real and thriving with our officials.

2. All the non-old firm clubs/managers also receive apologies from time to time from refs/officials but it is just not reported or deemed news worthy as we are insignificant in the media.

...... or 3 I suppose that there has been reported apologies to the rest and I've missed them all and just waking up early in a strop 🤔

Rodgers got n apology from the linesman directly after the game in the 4-2 league cup semi v us last season. Couldnt wait to ask for his forgiveness, embarrassing.

MacGruber
12-03-2019, 07:09 AM
Link please. What was the apology for? Was it merited based on the facts?

Don't know how to do links sorry - I'm backwards with technology! - it's in MSM today though you won't miss it.

For not giving a foul in the build up to Hibs equaliser

BILLYHIBS
12-03-2019, 07:11 AM
Rodgers got n apology from the linesman directly after the game in the 4-2 league cup semi v us last season. Couldnt wait to ask for his forgiveness, embarrassing.
:confused:

Funny that ?

From where I was sitting their last two goals looked miles offside!

we are hibs
12-03-2019, 07:20 AM
It's laughable considering the referee was atrocious and gave them almost every single decision.

Gave them a foul for Omeonga winning a header. A foul for high feet at waist height with kamberi. Later booked Kamberi for kicking the ball away but failed to do the same when Gouldson done it earlier in the game right infront of the dugout. Between him and the linesman they failed to book morelos after their goal. The absolute farce before their goal with the linesman flagging then not and everyone stopping.

But he will phone up "Stevie G" to apologise for a supposed "foul" that was actually never a foul in a million years.

Scottish football eh? Joke.

JimBHibees
12-03-2019, 07:29 AM
:confused:

Funny that ?

From where I was sitting their last two goals looked miles offside!

Certainly the 4th one. Think he apologised for giving the pen when Boyle was tackled, which looked like he got wrong but the indecent haste to ask for forgiveness is the galling thing.

lyonhibs
12-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Don't know how to do links sorry - I'm backwards with technology! - it's in MSM today though you won't miss it.

For not giving a foul in the build up to Hibs equaliser

One of those where you're raging if it goes against you tbf. Didn't merit an apology though, in the grand scheme of things. Other managers have got apologies in the past though, I seem to remember The Dalry Lama Cathro getting one from Dallas the Younger.

JimBHibees
12-03-2019, 07:43 AM
One of those where you're raging if it goes against you tbf. Didn't merit an apology though, in the grand scheme of things. Other managers have got apologies in the past though, I seem to remember The Dalry Lama Cathro getting one from Dallas the Younger.

Absolutely doesnt deserve an apology as he had clear sight of it and didnt give it just like probably 30 or so other calls on the night. Maybe this is something that officials do regularly though I have my doubts however maybe only certain clubs publicise it.

CraigHibee
12-03-2019, 07:52 AM
pandering to the infirm as per usual, this is why things are such a mess up here, how many apologises are handed out to other teams when they get it wrong? **** all is my guess

we are hibs
12-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Did alan Stubbs receive an apology after the falkirk handball the play offs?

What about fenlon after Griffiths scored a goal that was a good 3 yards over the line?

overdrive
12-03-2019, 07:54 AM

What about fenlon after Griffiths scored a goal that was a good 3 yards over the line?

Or the Oli Shaw “goal” at Tynie last season. Same ref, I think.

JimBHibees
12-03-2019, 07:55 AM

It was the same ref.

macca70
12-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Without a doubt this mindset of the ref having to apologise influences his decisions next time he referees a rangers game. He wouldn’t want to have to apologise again so will get every decision.

This is where our club and the others need to be calling this nonsense out and it’s about time our board spoke up.

JimBHibees
12-03-2019, 08:02 AM
Without a doubt this mindset of the ref having to apologise influences his decisions next time he referees a rangers game. He wouldn’t want to have to apologise again so will get every decision.

This is where our club and the others need to be calling this nonsense out and it’s about time our board spoke up.

The key point.

macca70
12-03-2019, 08:02 AM
SunSport can reveal the Ibrox gaffer went to see McLean at Easter Road and ask for an explanation with the whistler vowing to study the TV footage.

Having done so, McLean contacted Gerrard to admit he got it wrong.

Refs’ chief John Fleming is also believed to have been critical of McLean and assistants, Graham Chambers and Stuart Stevenson.

JimBHibees
12-03-2019, 08:03 AM
SunSport can reveal the Ibrox gaffer went to see McLean at Easter Road and ask for an explanation with the whistler vowing to study the TV footage.

Having done so, McLean contacted Gerrard to admit he got it wrong.

Refs’ chief John Fleming is also believed to have been critical of McLean and assistants, Graham Chambers and Stuart Stevenson.

How do they know that? John no doubt gutted his team didnt win. :greengrin

macca70
12-03-2019, 08:21 AM
The rag has a vested interest in the well being of the ugly sisters.

So you saying it didn’t happen or this is normal and happens all the time it’s just being dramatised on the occasion to wind us up?

Ronniekirk
12-03-2019, 08:46 AM
No idea if the story is true ,but now it’s in the public domain ,you wonder if subconsciously the ref is more likely to err on the side of caution ,and give The Rangers a decision in the next game he refs involving them , that he might not otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian cruise
12-03-2019, 08:53 AM
If we're going to make incidents like this public then it's time we had refs interviewed or publish comments on the SFA website 24hrs after every game. Can't have your cake and eat it where refs can't comment but others can tell us that they apparently admitted they were wrong in private, it undermines the whole system and trust people have in them to do their job.

Onion
12-03-2019, 09:13 AM
https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/03/blogs/scottish-premier-league/mclean-calls-gerrard-to-apologise/

Utterly embarrassing for the referee, SFA and Sevco. This has to stop now. It simply feeds their "victim mentality" and plays up to the Hunbrox hoards who already think they have a God-given right to win everything.

Ref should be taken to task for bringing the game into disrepute ... or can we now expect every ref in every league to phone managers after matches with apologies for their mistakes.

Onion
12-03-2019, 09:21 AM
If we're going to make incidents like this public then it's time we had refs interviewed or publish comments on the SFA website 24hrs after every game. Can't have your cake and eat it where refs can't comment but others can tell us that they apparently admitted they were wrong in private, it undermines the whole system and trust people have in them to do their job.

Seriously ? If it was in the interests of Celtic and Sevco for referees to explain their decisions post-match and for Strict Liability to apply to clubs, it would have happened long before now. Fact is NEITHER would gain and both have most to lose.

Carheenlea
12-03-2019, 10:00 AM
We should do the decent thing and phone “Stevie G” up to forfeit our point and give them a 3-0 win. Completely unacceptable for a referee to make an erroneous call against the Old Firm.

The 90+2
12-03-2019, 10:13 AM
He probably asked for his autograph while there.

BlackSheep
12-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Absolute disgrace that this is allowed to happen.

All it does is highlight the official incompetence.

The refereeing on Friday night also has to be cited as part to blame for that lunatic invading the field... i know my frustration with the officiating fuels my anger during games, i'm not an idiot so wouldn't vent it in such a way and i am in no way condoning that kind of behaviour but the consistently poor performances definitely play a part.

We all ask for transparency when it comes to decisions made during the game but contacting the Manager of a club after the fact is utter nonsense and MacLean should be punished and demoted for this.

The 90+2
12-03-2019, 10:14 AM
Double standards.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1409210-neil-lennon-i-regret-my-actions-but-referee-was-wrong/

Crazyhorse
12-03-2019, 10:15 AM

This will never happen.

Duncan Smith
12-03-2019, 10:34 AM

...... or 3 I suppose that there has been reported apologies to the rest and I've missed them all and just waking up early in a strop ��

As an ex referee, I was asked by a manager to review an penalty incident on the highlights and could I call him once I had a chance to look. I made an error in not awarding a penalty kick to his team, so gave him a 'courtesy call' to offer my apologies. I was thanked for my honesty and taking the time out to pick up the phone.

Two days later I received an email from SFA HQ advising that the Referee Committee would be investigating my phone call and asked for my comments.

The manager had reported me to the SFA for contacting him after the match!!!

Official knuckle rapping from the SFA Referee Committee and the Referee Department, which Steven McLean works in. :confused:

franks
12-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Butcher received an apology from the linesman when he flagged I think Forster offside at tynie when he was a couple of yards onside in our relegation season.

As for Friday if he got it wrong in the lead up to the goal (and I'm not sure he did) it was the only call he gave Hibs all night with around a dozen given to the huns which were wrong.

We received 5 bookings and a sending off to the huns 3 bookings in the game, was that even handed?

Smartie
12-03-2019, 10:48 AM
I do think it was a foul in the lead up to the Hibs goal but it was hardly in the howler category requiring an apology.

I thought the referee was terrible, all night, for both teams. The majority of his bad decisions went against us but there can be no doubt that the biggest decisions went in our favour.

Monts
12-03-2019, 10:49 AM
I do think it was a foul in the lead up to the Hibs goal but it was hardly in the howler category requiring an apology.

I thought the referee was terrible, all night, for both teams. The majority of his bad decisions went against us but there can be no doubt that the biggest decisions went in our favour.

What were the biggest decisions?

Smartie
12-03-2019, 10:51 AM
What were the biggest decisions?

I don't think we could have had many complaints if he'd sent off McGregor after about 10 minutes, given them a penalty for a push by David Gray after a cross to the back post and pulled the move that led to our goal back for a free kick.

The 3 game changing decisions - decisions that weren't at all clear at the match but were watching back on tv.

Lago
12-03-2019, 11:49 AM

Good.

Besties Debut
12-03-2019, 11:51 AM
The headline should be..... Starstruck Referee Begs Superstar For Forgiveness.
Did he get a selfie and signed Liverpool shirt at the same time?

H18S NX
12-03-2019, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=macca70;5737349]Without a doubt this mindset of the ref having to apologise influences his decisions next time he referees a rangers game. He wouldn’t want to have to apologise again so will get every decision.

This is where our club and the others need to be calling this nonsense out and it’s about time our board spoke up.[/QUOT......Absolutely:top marks

The 90+2
12-03-2019, 11:58 AM
I'm positive that there was a foul on our player not given right before the incident Gerrard got an apology? At the time I thought at least he was consistent. The highlights don't go back that far before our goal though?

hhibs
12-03-2019, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=macca70;5737349]Without a doubt this mindset of the ref having to apologise influences his decisions next time he referees a rangers game. He wouldn’t want to have to apologise again so will get every decision.

This is where our club and the others need to be calling this nonsense out and it’s about time our board spoke up.[/QUOT......Absolutely:top marks

To quote John Wayne and Buddy Holly, "That'll be the day ".........................................unfortuna tely.

I'm Spartacus
12-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Nap that the ref was just wanting to w4nk down the phone to him "I spoke to Slippy G on the phone". ********s, the lot of them.

Cool_Hand_Luke
12-03-2019, 02:47 PM
No one picked up on A McGregor (deliberately?) tripping Horgan in the box just after he missed that chance just as McNulty picks up the ball again and shoots?

matty_f
12-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Hopefully he apologised on behalf of the linesman for wrongly flagging offside in the run up to their goal, and for not booking McGregor for repeated and sustained dissent, and for missing any number of fouls on Hibs players through the game.

matty_f
12-03-2019, 03:17 PM
No one picked up on A McGregor (deliberately?) tripping Horgan in the box just after he missed that chance just as McNulty picks up the ball again and shoots?

I thought I saw that as well.

Cool_Hand_Luke
12-03-2019, 03:37 PM
I thought I saw that as well.

Ref wont be apologising for missing that then :agree:

Hibsman07
12-03-2019, 03:38 PM
He probably asked for his autograph while there.

Is that a metaphor ?? :hmmm:

Spike Mandela
12-03-2019, 03:50 PM
It’s the attitude that Rangers must be apologised to for incorrect decisions whilst for everyone else the attiude is that these decisions happen to everyone just get on with it. It will even itself out.

Bull****.

Inconsequential
12-03-2019, 05:23 PM
This is beyond the pale truly absurd. In every match there are fouls committed and no action taken. Refs are only human like the rest of us but this is total nonsense my blood is boiling.

Famous Fiver
12-03-2019, 05:33 PM
I take it all this was discussed with the ref when he got a lift back to Glasgow on the Rangers bus?

Captain Trips
12-03-2019, 06:44 PM

Yes indeed we are waiting on these disgraces to be apologised for.

hibees 7062
12-03-2019, 09:41 PM
https://scontent.fbhx3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53560120_2144522135602226_4807553333332017152_n.jp g?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fbhx3-1.fna&oh=bd179852eab5bd68434c17fc24ae8ee7&oe=5D077861

MSK
13-03-2019, 07:12 AM
No one picked up on A McGregor (deliberately?) tripping Horgan in the box just after he missed that chance just as McNulty picks up the ball again and shoots?I saw that too, didnt see it at the time but saw it on the highlights, ****ing unbelievable 🤬

ian cruise
13-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Seriously ? If it was in the interests of Celtic and Sevco for referees to explain their decisions post-match and for Strict Liability to apply to clubs, it would have happened long before now. Fact is NEITHER would gain and both have most to lose.

That's my point. If you don't have refs explaining key decisions then we just believe (either rightly or wrongly), that there are ulterior motives behind key decisions being wrong. Having managers of certain teams then leak that they get personal phone calls admitting errors further adds to this.

Cool_Hand_Luke
13-03-2019, 12:56 PM
I saw that too, didnt see it at the time but saw it on the highlights, ****ing unbelievable 🤬

McGregor gets away with stuff like this all the time :fuming:

Onion
13-03-2019, 01:10 PM
That's my point. If you don't have refs explaining key decisions then we just believe (either rightly or wrongly), that there are ulterior motives behind key decisions being wrong. Having managers of certain teams then leak that they get personal phone calls admitting errors further adds to this.

Referee - better for folk to think you’re a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

The Green Goblin
13-03-2019, 01:16 PM
I thought managers weren’t allowed to criticise refs and refs never ever commented on decisions after the match. It seems there are exceptions. Ffs

BlackSheep
13-03-2019, 01:31 PM
If the new trend is for officials to apologise fro making mistakes then Alan Muir needs to apologise to Stubbs, Hibs and the fans for this monstrosity of a call:-

https://youtu.be/dzGCyKKyb6A?t=57

Kano Kirsty
13-03-2019, 01:39 PM
When has any non OF manager been given an apology from a referee that was made public?

Referees should be explaining their decisions after a game IMO.

SouthMoroccoStu
13-03-2019, 01:57 PM
If the new trend is for officials to apologise fro making mistakes then Alan Muir needs to apologise to Stubbs, Hibs and the fans for this monstrosity of a call:-

https://youtu.be/dzGCyKKyb6A?t=57

Aye don't hold your breath on that BlackSheep

GreenOnions
13-03-2019, 02:13 PM
This sets an unwelcome precedent IMHO. Increasing focus may now be put on whether or not referees apologise publicly after every mistake.

IMO this ref has made a selfish decision - possibly to court positive press and Old Firm favour - but almost certainly at the expense of his colleagues - who will be under more scrutiny and pressure now.

The interests of any group of working people are never served well in the long run when one breaks ranks and forgets about collective responsibility.

Every team benefits and is disadvantaged by refereeing mistakes. To assess the net impact is impossible. We need to accept this fact and get on with it. Most of the time poor decisions are not the real reason a team fails. The real reason is that over the duration of the competition they weren't good enough.

Even that ridiculous handball against Falkirk is a good example. Can anyone confidently say that, were we to have been given that penalty, we would have actually beaten Falkirk over two legs let alone secured promotion?

Peevemor
13-03-2019, 02:23 PM
This sets an unwelcome precedent IMHO. Increasing focus may now be put on whether or not referees apologise publicly after every mistake.

IMO this ref has made a selfish decision - possibly to court positive press and Old Firm favour - but almost certainly at the expense of his colleagues - who will be under more scrutiny and pressure now.

The interests of any group of working people are never served well in the long run when one breaks ranks and forgets about collective responsibility.

Every team benefits and is disadvantaged by refereeing mistakes. To assess the net impact is impossible. We need to accept this fact and get on with it. Most of the time poor decisions are not the real reason a team fails. The real reason is that over the duration of the competition they weren't good enough.

Even that ridiculous handball against Falkirk is a good example. Can anyone confidently say that, were we to have been given that penalty, we would have actually beaten Falkirk over two legs let alone secured promotion?

He didn't apologise in public - Gerrard made a private conversation public.

Hibs managers, including Neil Lennon, have spoken in the past about getting (or not) calls from referees in the days after matches.

The 90+2
13-03-2019, 02:28 PM
When has any non OF manager been given an apology from a referee that was made public?

Referees should be explaining their decisions after a game IMO.

Yes, Dallas apologised to Cathro.

Onion
13-03-2019, 02:29 PM

No, but that's not the point. It was a clear infringement which could have had a big bearing on the outcome. If referees were to take the view that small decisions here and there (50/50s, dubious calls) are not material to the eventual outcome, then they might as well give all of them to Celtic and Sevco. Hmmm :cb

Peevemor
13-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Yes, Dallas apologised to Cathro.

After some dodgy decision against Hibs, Neil Lennon mentioned that he was annoyed that the referee hadn't called him to explain himself, saying words to the effect of "he has my number, he's done it in the past".

GreenOnions
13-03-2019, 02:37 PM
He didn't apologise in public - Gerrard made a private conversation public.

Hibs managers, including Neil Lennon, have spoken in the past about getting (or not) calls from referees in the days after matches.

Ah - I didn't realise that it was SG who had made it public.
Fair enough.

I am well aware that managers of all clubs including Hibs complain about refereeing decisions. I think they should be allowed some latitude where they are interviewed immediately post-match. However - to continually go on about how unlucky your team has been and suggest vendettas/favouritism etc is ridiculous and unhelpful. There's also a suspicion that such behaviour from a manager is an attempt to influence future decisions. Steve Clarke did this a lot earlier this season until Killie got seriously lucky themselves with several decisions. He's said a lot less since then - which is really my point.

renato
14-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Or also when McLean himself gave a handball against Dylan at Ibrox, that was never a handball, which Tavernier scored from and effectively ended our title challenge?

green day
14-03-2019, 11:07 PM
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/03/14/stunned-hibs-head-coach-paul-heckingbottom-describes-steven-mcleans-decision-to-apologise-to-rangers-boss-steven-gerrard-foolish-and-crazy-spfl-referees-james-tavernier/

Good to see PH calling this numpty out

DarlingtonHibee
14-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Watched his press conference, no mention of that. Assume it was said to a journalist.

w pilton hibby
14-03-2019, 11:58 PM
Watched his press conference, no mention of that. Assume it was said to a journalist.

It's in the Scotsman, EN and Herald.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-paul-heckingbottom-hits-out-at-ref-who-called-steven-gerrard-to-apologise-1-4889826