PDA

View Full Version : John brownlie happy birthday

BILLYHIBS
11-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Just noticed with everything that it going on down Easter Road way that it is John Brownlies 67th Birthday today

Still a youngster. :greengrin

Without doubt the finest right back that it was ever my pleasure to see at Easter Road

Many Happy returns Onion

Legend!

:not worth

DarlingtonHibee
11-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Just noticed with everything that it going on down Easter Road way that it is John Browlies 67th Birthday today

Without doubt the finest right back that it was ever my pleasure to see at Easter Road

Many Happy returns Onion

Legend!

Hibs legend.

BILLYHIBS
11-03-2019, 10:17 PM
I would say probably the greatest right back Scotland has ever produced

He kept Danny McGrain out of the Scotland team up until his unfortunate leg break

His highlights for me were his performances versus Airdrie away 6-2 win in the League Cup and his wonderful solo goal versus Der Hun in a Scottish League Cup Semi Final at Hampden in a 1-0 win

Legend

Stantons Angel
11-03-2019, 10:27 PM

He kept Danny McGrain out of the Scotland team up until his unfortunate leg break

His highlights for me were his performances versus Airdrie away 6-2 win in the League Cup and his wonderful solo goal versus Der Hun in a Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden in a 1-0 win

Legend

that night a Hampden was very eventful to say the least!

the Rangers supoporters where incensed with us beating them and i remember hearing this rumbling noise near the end of the game and turned around to see dust flying in the air from the Hampden terracing behind me to catch sight of hundreds of "them" rushing down the stepstowards the Hibs supporters.

i got the fright of my life when i was knocked over the front fencing on to the track below because everyone was trying to get away from them!

Some things just never change!!!

Deansy
12-03-2019, 12:28 AM
Sadly, we've never had anyone near his standard since - he was just sheer class !

Happy Birthday John Brownlie - my favourite Tornado !

Bangkok Hibby
12-03-2019, 01:57 AM
Happy birthday John. Sorry for ignoring you when you came out of ER after training with Pat Stanton and Joe McBride. Didnt know who you were back then 😃

Besties Debut
12-03-2019, 11:06 AM
He played over 120 games for Newcastle as well. Very unlucky to just miss out on the final 22 for the 1974 world cup squad.

BILLYHIBS
12-03-2019, 11:15 AM
I remember going through to Hampden in 1972 to watch him play for Scotland versus the auld enemy in the Home Championship

109000 at the game

Scotland lost 0-1

Jimmy Clitheroe scored t winner

Looked miles offside

The days before VAR and a lot of things. :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
12-03-2019, 11:49 AM
My best wishes and good health to you, John .

We're Turnbull's Tornadoes ...

Hibernian's the name !!

:flag:

heretoday
12-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Popular guy at Newcastle too. He was an intelligent player. I used to enjoy watching him dovetail with Edwards on the right. Mind you, if you look at film of it now it was all so slow compared to the fit, wiry movers we see now!

superfurryhibby
12-03-2019, 11:57 AM
The best right back I’ve seen at Hibs by a country mile. I remember him as a laid back guy, nae histrionics required. Fantastic going forward, very direct running and chipped in with a few goals too.

Belated birthday greetings to a proper Hibees legend.

Hibsman07
12-03-2019, 12:35 PM

His highlights for me were his performances versus Airdrie away 6-2 win in the League Cup and his wonderful solo goal versus Der Hun in a Scottish League Cup Semi Final at Hampden in a 1-0 win

Legend

Two funny old nights they were Billy. Was the Airdrie game the one where we were locked in at full time ?? Large away support just pushed on and took the gates off the hinges :cb Were more like a cat flap when we'd finished with them

that night a Hampden was very eventful to say the least!

the Rangers supoporters where incensed with us beating them and i remember hearing this rumbling noise near the end of the game and turned around to see dust flying in the air from the Hampden terracing behind me to catch sight of hundreds of "them" rushing down the stepstowards the Hibs supporters.

i got the fright of my life when i was knocked over the front fencing on to the track below because everyone was trying to get away from them!

Some things just never change!!!

Maud (Mrs Mac) saved me from myself and some very pissed of teddy bears that night.
Two legends in one thread already, Onion and Maud !!!

Lago
12-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Just noticed with everything that it going on down Easter Road way that it is John Brownlies 67th Birthday today

Many Happy returns Onion

Legend!

So true in every respect.

Iggy Pope
12-03-2019, 03:12 PM
I remember going through to Hampden in 1970 to watch him play for Scotland versus the auld enemy in the Home Championship

109000 at the game

Scotland lost 0-1

Jimmy Clitheroe scored t winner

Looked miles offside

The days before VAR and a lot of things. :greengrin

Boyhood hero of mine. Met him in a pub in Morpeth where he had settled many years later when the current Mrs Pope and I hadn’t been going out long and I reckon she had her reservations when she seen how much I adored him. Think his Scotland debut came a wee bit after 1970 though. Maybe against Russia?

Here’s Lucy!
12-03-2019, 04:13 PM
What a player!

bigwheel
12-03-2019, 04:59 PM
The Rolls Royce of full backs. [emoji119][emoji119]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
12-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Boyhood hero of mine. Met him in a pub in Morpeth where he had settled many years later when the current Mrs Pope and I hadn’t been going out long and I reckon she had her reservations when she seen how much I adored him. Think his Scotland debut came a wee bit after 1970 though. Maybe against Russia?

Yip!

14/6/71 USSR 1 v 0 Scotland

26/4/72 Scotland 2 v 0 Peru

20/5/72 Scotland 2 v 0 Northern Ireland

27/5/72 Scotland 0 v 1 England

18/10/72 Denmark 1 v 4 Scotland

15/11/72 Scotland 2 v 0 Denmark

17/12/75 Scotland 1 v 1 Romania

Legend