PDA

View Full Version : players celebrating in front of opposition fans

steelendhibs
11-03-2019, 08:57 AM
Personally I don't have an issue with Morelos and Candelas winding the hibs fans up after their goal on Friday. I personally think players get it tight from opposition fans for the whole game, so we can surely just accept it when they get one over on us. However, maybe I am right minded and able to control my emotions and actions. In light of recent events it is maybe time for a rule to be brought in whereby any kind of celebration or taunting of opposition fans after a goal should be an automatic yellow (or day I say it red). This may of course create other issues. The PFA have been quick to condemn and rightly so, but perhaps they should also be part of the solution by keeping the fuel away from the fire. Thus obviously doesn't excuse any actions of supposed fans recently, but perhaps players should be told to be just a hit more mindful given current circumstances. I prepare fully to be shot down, and it's not an answer to the indemic issues we have, but I can't see it doing any harm certainly

NGP
11-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Nope
Anybody who can't control themselves when a player celebrates a goal needs to take a good look at themselves. Scoring goals is the whole point of the game, getting booked for celebrating is is just adding to the horrible sanitisation that we see in the game.
No issue with players displaying emotion or giving it GIRUY when they score.

steelendhibs
11-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Nope
Anybody who can't control themselves when a player celebrates a goal needs to take a good look at themselves. Scoring goals is the whole point of the game, getting booked for celebrating is is just adding to the horrible sanitisation that we see in the game.

I don't either mate, and yes people should be able to hold their emotions in check. At the same time, I would run and celebrate with my own fans rather than bothering about the opposition supporters

heretoday
11-03-2019, 09:09 AM
I don't like the finger to the lips or the ear thingy. I don't like when our guys do it either. It's moronic and can only lead to rancour.

Col L
11-03-2019, 09:13 AM
They were right in front of me (and the linesman) and in my opinion both Candeias and Morelos deserved bookings for their reaction to the goal, moreso that torn-faced weasel Morelos. It went way beyond a brief GIRUY, which I don't have a problem with (Kris Boyd's celebrations spring to mind and usually amuse me), and was instead done in a sneering, taunting, provocative way. Totally classless. Canedeias was more interested in taunting us than celebrating a very good goal with his team-mates, brushing off his team-mates just to get on with the job of winding us up.

If you've got no problem with that, I applaud your restraint, but I do.

NGP
11-03-2019, 09:23 AM
I'm not saying it wasn't classless, says something about a player when they chose to try and wind up fans rather than celebrate with their team mates or own fans.
I'm more upset at us losing a goal to be bothered how players celebrate scoring.
Too many calls for bookings, bans etc in today's game.

SouthMoroccoStu
11-03-2019, 09:31 AM
See when Sam Nicholson scored to make it 2-0 in the 2-2 cup game in 2016, with his crotch grabbing celebrations, i could barely control myself

I haven't been that aroused in years...... :wink:

All fans need to behave themselves when at grounds home and away but actions like this, and Morelos etc, have to be punished by match officials - some do, some don't

The Modfather
11-03-2019, 09:36 AM
They were right in front of me (and the linesman) and in my opinion both Candeias and Morelos deserved bookings for their reaction to the goal, moreso that torn-faced weasel Morelos. It went way beyond a brief GIRUY, which I don't have a problem with (Kris Boyd's celebrations spring to mind and usually amuse me), and was instead done in a sneering, taunting, provocative way. Totally classless. Canedeias was more interested in taunting us than celebrating a very good goal with his team-mates, brushing off his team-mates just to get on with the job of winding us up.

If you've got no problem with that, I applaud your restraint, but I do.

Was right in front of me as well. Morelos’ celebration was bizarre given I didn’t think we’d been giving him a particularly hard time. The upside was the whole of the East Stand taking great delight in doing that talking hand thing back to Morelos at the equaliser and at full time. 😂

Smartie
11-03-2019, 09:38 AM
I hate it.

I hate it from opposition players and I hate it from ours.

Football is an emotional game, it hurts when you lose a goal and it doesn't need to be rubbed in.

Most of us will be able to control ourselves, there will always be some who can't.

I don't think it is going too far to suggest a link between the Sevco celebrations and our (totally unacceptable btw) interloper.

We're rightly being dragged through the mud for it, but if we're getting all hand-wringy about how to prevent future incidents then we should take player conduct into consideration.

calumhibee1
11-03-2019, 09:47 AM
I hate it.

Football is an emotional game, it hurts when you lose a goal and it doesn't need to be rubbed in.

Most of us will be able to control ourselves, there will always be some who can't.

I don't think it is going too far to suggest a link between the Sevco celebrations and our (totally unacceptable btw) interloper.

We're rightly being dragged through the mud for it, but if we're getting all hand-wringy about how to prevent future incidents then we should take player conduct into consideration.

The Rangers celebrations 100% played a part in what happened at half time. Probably more than the actual celebrations themselves I reckon it was the referees refusal to even acknowledge it had happened that really pissed most folk off. If it hadn’t happened then I very much doubt that the pitch invader would have done what he done. Not an excuse for doing it of course.

SChibs
11-03-2019, 09:59 AM
I've got no issue with player cupping their ear or putting a finger to their mouth after scoring if they have been shouted at most of the game.

Besties Debut
11-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Nobody was worse for that than our own golden generation. Gary O, Deeks, Ian Murray especially against the ****bos...We love when our players do it but go radge when it's done to us.

Carheenlea
11-03-2019, 10:09 AM
It’s never nice when on the receiving end, but if I watch a game on TV I always enjoy seeing a goal scored with opposition fans behind the goal rather than celebrating fans. Having been there myself plenty, it’s entertaining watching guys sitting stoically and motionless as a goal is rattled in against them, or losing it and gesturing in anger. All part of the high and low emotions experienced during a game.

JimboHibs
11-03-2019, 10:10 AM
I hate it.

Are you wanting a safe zone where players celebrate.

green day
11-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Football players get abused by fans all match, for many of them this continues off the field of play as well.

If fans can't take a wee GIRFUY from those players, then maybe football isn't for them.

The 90+2
11-03-2019, 10:15 AM
If players are getting it tight from the get go why shouldn’t they be allowed to give some back? It’s all part of football.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2019, 10:19 AM
When you consider the history of the club they replaced there can be no more pathetic over the top celebrations than the sight of Sevconians leaping onto the pitch when they nicked a result at Hamilton, Partick and against Motherwell.

You can hardly blame their players euphoric response when they have a fleeting chance of finally beating the Hibees on slippy Steve's watch. They're only taking the lead from the fans.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
11-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Personally I don't have an issue with Morelos and Candelas winding the hibs fans up after their goal on Friday. I personally think players get it tight from opposition fans for the whole game, so we can surely just accept it when they get one over on us. However, maybe I am right minded and able to control my emotions and actions. In light of recent events it is maybe time for a rule to be brought in whereby any kind of celebration or taunting of opposition fans after a goal should be an automatic yellow (or day I say it red). This may of course create other issues. The PFA have been quick to condemn and rightly so, but perhaps they should also be part of the solution by keeping the fuel away from the fire. Thus obviously doesn't excuse any actions of supposed fans recently, but perhaps players should be told to be just a hit more mindful given current circumstances. I prepare fully to be shot down, and it's not an answer to the indemic issues we have, but I can't see it doing any harm certainly

Absolutely, unequivocally not.

Col L
11-03-2019, 10:24 AM
If players are getting it tight from the get go why shouldn’t they be allowed to give some back? It’s all part of football.

Applying that logic, then it's no problem for us to give some abuse back to them when they are standing 10 yards away goading opposition fans.

calumhibee1
11-03-2019, 10:29 AM

We’ve had players like Griffiths banned, Cummings booked etc for gestures made to fans. Cummings stood there for about 2 seconds and was booked, Morelos about 20 yet nothing is done to him. If the players want to do it then fine, the fans should be able to deal with it. But they should be punished in line with the rules.

I reckon what pissed most people including myself off on Friday was watching Morelos do it for an absolute eternity, the linesman staring right at him, the referee standing with his back to the only thing that he should have been watching while the whole thing happened and him getting away with it. It’s a booking all day long as is the never ending stream of players kicking the ball away against us yet referees continue to ignore it. It’s incredibly infuriating.

jonty
11-03-2019, 10:29 AM
didn't Benji (?) get booked for scoring against hearts and running the length of the pitch to celebrate? He didn't leave the field of play.

Or is my memory getting worse.

The 90+2
11-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Applying that logic, then it's no problem for us to give some abuse back to them when they are standing 10 yards away goading opposition fans.

Yep. Fair game.

calumhibee1
11-03-2019, 10:30 AM
didn't Benji (?) get booked for scoring against hearts and running the length of the pitch to celebrate? He didn't leave the field of play.

He got booked in the game so I presume it was for that.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2019, 10:31 AM
I just take it on the chin, if you give it out, got to take it back
Was Morelos doing the “Birdie song” with he celebrated the Rangers goal on Friday

The 90+2
11-03-2019, 10:32 AM
We’ve had players like Griffiths banned, Cummings booked etc for gestures made to fans. Cummings stood there for about 2 seconds and was booked, Morelos about 20 yet nothing is done to him. If the players want to do it then fine, the fans should be able to deal with it. But they should be punished in line with the rules.

I reckon what pissed most people including myself off on Friday was watching Morelos do it for an absolute eternity, the linesman staring right at him, the referee standing with his back to the only thing that he should have been watching while the whole thing happened and him getting away with it. It’s a booking all day long as is the never ending stream of players kicking the ball away against us yet referees continue to ignore it. It’s incredibly infuriating.

I totally agree they should have been booked and it was ignored what I’m saying is I would take it out the rules that it’s a booking because I’ve no issue with it being part of the game. If you can’t handle a player giving it back and feel the need to run on the park then that person should get themselves checked out.

Col L
11-03-2019, 10:32 AM

My take on it entirely. McLean wasn't even paying attention... which was consistent with his performance for the whole 90 minutes.

CentreLine
11-03-2019, 10:46 AM
This is where I see it.
When we go to more or less any form of entertainment there is a stage for the performers and an area for spectators. There is no place where the two should meet in conflict.
The habit that football players have developed of throwing themselves in to their own support or alternatively winding up opposition fans has to be a factor in some idiots thinking that the boundary no longer exists.
The idiots in the support need to get a grip but so do the clubs in realising that their players’ behaviour is a big factor in this disturbing escalation of what is not a new problem.

For years the MSM has ignored the issues. Suddenly there seems to be a realisation that things are in danger of going too far and along come our MSM all shocked and surprised to discover that there is violence, hatred, racism and bigotry in our game. Have they been hiding behind the settee all these years? Regardless of that, at least it is being called out now.

Onward and upwards 😏

SouthMoroccoStu
11-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Yeah, something else Zibi let past.... :wink:

Spike Mandela
11-03-2019, 11:17 AM
I hate hooliganism, sectarianism, and racism in football. i am not talking about any of that crap.

For me the intense rivalry, the tense nature of the big games, the goal celebrations , the inspiring songs( not the abusive ones), the goading of fans by players and vice versa, the controversies, the worshipped players, the pantomime villains, the player vendettas, the camaraderie, the moaning about refs decisions and occasional moments of artistry and beauty are everything I love about football.

Smartie
11-03-2019, 11:33 AM
I hate hooliganism, sectarianism, and racism in football. i am not talking about any of that crap.

For me the intense rivalry, the tense nature of the big games, the goal celebrations , the inspiring songs( not the abusive ones), the goading of fans by players and vice versa, the controversies, the worshipped players, the pantomime villains, the player vendettas, the camaraderie, the moaning about refs decisions and occasional moments of artistry and beauty are everything I love about football.

Aye, me too, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

I like the point made above about the referee's attitude to Friday night's celebrations. If the ref had punished the Rangers players, or even encouraged them away from the Hibs support then you'd have some sort of acceptance of the situation. For the whole episode to play out under the ref's nose and for nothing to be done was the main insult and that was what had me going mental.

JXM73
11-03-2019, 11:50 AM
If you can't handle opposition players or fans celebrating a goal the problem lies squarely with you...

I dont think players should be booked for celebrating with their own fans or lifting Jerseys either...

Aim Here
11-03-2019, 11:55 AM
Aye, me too, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

I like the point made above about the referee's attitude to Friday night's celebrations. If the ref had punished the Rangers players, or even encouraged them away from the Hibs support then you'd have some sort of acceptance of the situation. For the whole episode to play out under the ref's nose and for nothing to be done was the main insult and that was what had me going mental.

Do you really want football sanitized and footballers penalized on the grounds that you're a seething mess when an opposing player GIRFUY's you after a goal? Your emotional state over a football game is your problem, and yours alone. If you can't handle a victory celebration when some other team scores, then you should either seek therapeutic help or stop going to the fitba', and if it's the case that you can control yourself, then, well, just suck up the rage and/or disappointment. It just makes it all the sweeter when Hibs gets it up the other *******s, whoever they are, and we can return the taunts.

-Jonesy-
11-03-2019, 11:55 AM
Mind when Benji scored against hearts and bolted the whole length of the pitch to taunt the hertz?

Northernhibee
11-03-2019, 12:01 PM
I was once dragged along to Aberdeen vs Hearts when I lived there and found myself seated by the touchline. Have Jamie Walker dugs abuse in the first half - he scored a screamer in the second half and immediately looked over to where we were and started double fist pumping at us.

Fair play to him, it was giving as good as he got and a good GIRUY.

Smartie
11-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Do you really want football sanitized and footballers penalized on the grounds that you're a seething mess when an opposing player GIRFUY's you after a goal? Your emotional state over a football game is your problem, and yours alone. If you can't handle a victory celebration when some other team scores, then you should either seek therapeutic help or stop going to the fitba', and if it's the case that you can control yourself, then, well, just suck up the rage and/or disappointment. It just makes it all the sweeter when Hibs gets it up the other *******s, whoever they are, and we can return the taunts.

Which is precisely what I did. I'm not the one who ran onto the pitch.

Why should I have to suck it up though?

I don't think that there should be inconsistently applied rules where some players are punished as per the rules, and some are given carte-blanche to do whatever they want under the nose of the referee. These matches, as we know, are emotional and eventful affairs. If Morelos or Candeias thought they were having a hard time from that stand that justified their actions, they might want to speak to Mark Hateley or any one of a number of Rangers players who used to take absolute pelters from that stand.

The players have a responsibility to behave appropriately as well as the fans.

When you poke an angry dog with a stick, don't act surprised when it bites you.

I would demand the same standard of behaviour from Hibs players (and managers, which is probably more relevant in this instance).

Speedy
11-03-2019, 12:18 PM
One rule I find really strange is that it is only ever the scorer that gets booked for jumping into the crowd while celebrating. Even if half a dozen of them do it, it is only the scorer who is punished.

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2019, 12:21 PM
I like it and find it funny, not going to lie.

We almost all loved when Cummings got it up the Hearts fans every time he scored for us against them, so we can't go crying when somebody gives us a taste of our own medicine.

I know this'll put me in a very, very small minority of Hibs fans, but even Skacel's debut goal celebration against us I found quite funny.

lyonhibs
11-03-2019, 12:25 PM

I don't think that there should be inconsistently applied rules where some players are punished as per the rules, and some are given carte-blanche to do whatever they want under the nose of the referee. These matches, as we know, are emotional and eventful affairs. If Morelos or Candeias thought they were having a hard time from that stand that justified their actions, they might want to speak to Mark Hateley or any one of a number of Rangers players who used to take absolute pelters from that stand.

I would demand the same standard of behaviour from Hibs players (and managers, which is probably more relevant in this instance).

Poor analogy. We aren't dogs. Are we?? :confused:

G B Young
11-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Any player who deliberately celebrates in front of the opposition fans should be red carded. As we've seen over the weekend and throughout this season it takes only the merest of provocation (and sometimes no provocation at all) for certain fans to go over the score, so for players to provoke them further is simply asking for trouble.

It's all very well to say fans should be able to keep their emotions in check but it's clear that many are unable to do so, so players should be instructed not to indulge in celebrations that can be seen as provocative. Yes, players might argue they're only giving it back to fans who've been abusing them all game, but the best way to shut those fans up is to focus on winning the game and celebrating with your own fans.

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2019, 12:29 PM
I don’t have a problem with it. The issue on Friday night was Morelos continuing having a pop for ages all the way along the East to the half way line. It was genuinely like he was looking for trouble.

Springbank
11-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Best celebration of this type was Jason Cummings, 1-0 v Hearts, cup replay in 2016

I seem to recall it was a replay (did that mean we drew the first game, let's hope it wasn't a late equaliser or anything :wink:)

And I seem to remember it was quite a good cup run that year.

I'd go so far as to say JC's celebration that night was iconic.

I wouldn't want to lose that.

BTW this is the view filmed by a jambo from the hearts end. Why he put it on youtyube I do not know. But it is brilliant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUPq5labjCQ

aljo7-0
11-03-2019, 12:31 PM
There is a degree of pantomime villain with Morelos and perhaps he was just playing his part with his lobster claw impression? but the goal scorer was positively pushing off his celebrating teammates to pull at and point at the The Rangers badge to the East. That was not celebrating it was goading. Did it work and get me angry - yes! Did it make my enjoyment of the game and us equalising any better -probably. I my no like it at ties but I accept it is part of modern football

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2019, 12:42 PM
BTW this is the view filmed by a jambo from the hearts end. Why he put it on youtyube I do not know. But it is brilliant...

It was on his Periscope stream that he filmed because the UEFA blackout was in place at the time, so this was his live reaction that somebody (most likely a Hibs fan) then filmed off a screen to preserve forever. Well done that person.

hibsbollah
11-03-2019, 12:56 PM
I was once dragged along to Aberdeen vs Hearts when I lived there and found myself seated by the touchline. Have Jamie Walker dugs abuse in the first half - he scored a screamer in the second half and immediately looked over to where we were and started double fist pumping at us.

Fair play to him, it was giving as good as he got and a good GIRUY.

It's not normally my style at all but I was loudly mocking Kirk Broadfoot when he was a Rangers player a few years back. Every time he took a throw in I would say something like 'youve given us the ball back again, broadfoot' or 'broadfoot, you're ***** at throwins' or something like that. He turned round and shouted something back at me eventually, really agitated and annoyed. I'd like to think it put him off his game, although we did lose that day so probably not :greengrin

I've heard a lot of funnier stuff than that fairly rubbish effort, from other folk in the old East, and a degree of abuse of players is totally acceptable, as it is for them to throw it back at us (Ian Murray and Arur Boruc spring to mind). It doesn't bother me at all. I certainly never thought anyone would ever leap the hoardings and attack anyone.

Bangkok Hibby
11-03-2019, 12:58 PM
Nope

Absolutely, its the fans who display hatred, poison, bile, whatever other name you want to give it. Players take this abuse for the whole game. Why shouldnt they GIRUY? I dont accept the enticing trouble argument.

Bangkok Hibby
11-03-2019, 01:01 PM
I don’t have a problem with it. The issue on Friday night was Morelos continuing having a pop for ages all the way along the East to the half way line. It was genuinely like he was looking for trouble.

Hes a footballer, like him or loathe him he wont pull a half bottle out his shorts and chuck it at opposition fans

Liam978
11-03-2019, 01:12 PM
Hes a footballer, like him or loathe him he wont pull a half bottle out his shorts and chuck it at opposition fans

Probably would if he was spectating. A pure odious creature, did you happen to catch his behaviour at full time when leaving the field ? Well Robbie Stockdale did and to his credit never reacted.

Bangkok Hibby
11-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Probably would if he was spectating. A pure odious creature, did you happen to catch his behaviour at full time when leaving the field ? Well Robbie Stockdale did and to his credit never reacted.

Yes he's a total kyunt but thats not really the point is it?

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Not for the first time either. When he scored at ER last season he celebrated in front of the FF turned and ran back up the park, but then turned back and walked towards the FF to give it some more, the ref of course took no action.

In an ideal world you wouldn't have fans reacting to players celebrating in front of them, but the fact is some do and that's why players get booked for excessive celebrations in front of the other teams fans when there's a goal. JC got booked against Hearts for it and I fail to see why the rule seemed to apply to him but not to someone playing for Sevco.

jakedance
11-03-2019, 01:51 PM
I think the rules are probably about right and allow for a bit of passion in the heat of the moment. The problem, like everything with Scottish refs, is that they’re not consistently applied.

The 90+2
11-03-2019, 02:01 PM
I think the rules are probably about right and allow for a bit of passion in the heat of the moment. The problem, like everything with Scottish refs, is that they’re not consistently applied.

Correct. We score against them to make it 1-0 at Ibrox, Flo’ then spend 5 mins winding up the stand of theirs which has us in the corner (are we broomloan lower or corner?) he gets booked right away flagged by the lino’ Indont see much wrong with it myself but the rules are rules and in a day and age where the fans are getting it right why hasn’t it been said the players have a responsibility too, nobody has highlighted Morelos on Friday.

Keith_M
11-03-2019, 02:05 PM

:agree:

If the rule exists, apply it fairly and there'd be less complaints.

proud_and_green
11-03-2019, 02:16 PM
One rule I find really strange is that it is only ever the scorer than gets booked for jumping into the crowd while celebrating. Even if half a dozen of them do it, it is only the scorer who is punished.

That is a very good point, I had never considered it before! Presumably something to do with the fact that the scorer is usually the first one to go over...?

proud_and_green
11-03-2019, 02:31 PM
Kano was booked at Tynie after that cracker he scored. All he did was continue his run with his fist in the air which took him towards the jambo support. I always thought that was a bit much.

I have to say I don't mind it at all, in fact I find it quite amusing to watch some of our fans getting apoplectic particularly when they have just spent the whole of the game to that point calling the individual for everything.

I remember Barry the crab at ER one time was getting absolute pelters from the east some of it was pretty inventive stuff too. At one point he turned to the east and covertly flicked the Agincourt salute at the fans there. The place went into meltdown with many fans calling for his head. I found it funny!

I understand the point about bookings and everything but I think a celebration aimed at he opposition fans should not be punished unless there is genuinely offensive language or gestures, I would suggest the crotch grabber would have been an appropriate booking. Why should these celebrations be stopped just because some idiot cant keep his temper; there are other causes for example alcohol, maybe that is what should be banned....?

The argument is not that different to the one that says a woman is asking to be raped because they wore a short dress!! The responsibility is that of the ned not the player.

Captain Trips
11-03-2019, 02:35 PM
A lot of people wouldn't shout what they shout if in the street this has been a common thought and very true. I think now you could ask would a player act that way if was face to face with you?

I'm usually too pissed off to notice what the opposition player is doing when scoring tbh.

Aim Here
11-03-2019, 04:32 PM

Why not? Being taunted and laughed at in a game is part of the fun. The flipside is we get to gloat when things go our way. Swings and roundabouts. Nobody, not even Hibs fans, has a god-given right to not be jeered at.

A measure of celebration, taunting, GIRFUY gloating and so forth IS the appropriate behaviour for a football match. The Rangers players celebrating on the pitch didn't act any worse than thousands of Hibs fans did when our goal went in.

I don't expect angry dogs in my football stadiums, and folk acting that way can get hoofed out of the ground, full stop.

That's where we differ. I'm perfectly happy with that kind of gloating from our side. Lenny's cupped ears, airplane and 'calm doon' gestures were all great fun, the Jambo retaliation was way out of order and the greeting from the Union Bears after the cupped ears was utterly hilarious - and of course, I think the other guys have the right to give us a bit of stick when they're celebrating getting one over on us. It's all part of the fun.

hibbycraig
11-03-2019, 04:54 PM
If you can't handle a player celebrating/goading you for 2 minutes after probably giving them stick for a lot longer there's something wrong with you.

barcahibs
11-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Nope, if someone can't take a player celebrating without feeling the need to attack them then they shouldn't really be allowed out in public anyway. Some great memories of Hibs players celebrating at the opposition end.

11-03-2019, 05:09 PM
I don't have a problem with players giving a wee bit back, as long as it isn't too over board. Players take dogs abuse all game from fans happy to dish it out but the moment players have a bit of banter back its all tears and snotters.

Football is all about the rivalry and the banter. If you dish it out (as most football fans do) then be prepared to get some back and take it on the chin. As I say, as long as it stays within limits, obviously some over step the mark but in the main its generally harmless fun that some folk (mainly adults) sadly can't handle.

Emotions run high at football games, something that makes the game as brilliant as it is, the fact people are so passionate about it but if your a grown adult and your genuinely going to get upset and your knickers in a twist over an opposition player giving the "sssh" gesture or any other silly wee playground gesture like that then you really need to get a grip.

overdrive
11-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Best celebration of this type was Jason Cummings, 1-0 v Hearts, cup replay in 2016

I seem to recall it was a replay (did that mean we drew the first game, let's hope it wasn't a late equaliser or anything :wink:)

And I seem to remember it was quite a good cup run that year.

I'd go so far as to say JC's celebration that night was iconic.

I wouldn't want to lose that.

I enjoyed the one he did a year later... miming him kissing and lifting the cup.

The Spaceman
11-03-2019, 05:14 PM
If I played at Ibrox and got booed etc for my every touch, I would absolutely stick it up every last one of them if I scored! People are waaaay too sensitive.

hibee
11-03-2019, 07:16 PM
If you can’t celebrate a goal then what’s the point of football, I couldn’t care less about someone celebrating in front of me, all part of the game and made the equaliser even more enjoyable!

If that makes someone want to assault a player or throw something on the pitch then they have bigger issues to deal with.

SquashedFrogg
11-03-2019, 07:18 PM
If I played at Ibrox and got booed etc for my every touch, I would absolutely stick it up every last one of them if I scored! People are waaaay too sensitive.

This. If you're giving players it tight, then don't get upset if you get some back.

Smartie
11-03-2019, 07:25 PM
A brief GIRUY, a cupped ear, a brief finger to the lips or whatever I could deal with.

This was sustained antagonism, there are rules in place to deal with it and the referee failed to do so.

If we're going to have to go through the inquest into bad crowd behaviour I think it is reasonable that questions should be asked of players provoking fans, referees not enforcing rules and their reasons for doing so.

JimBHibees
11-03-2019, 08:17 PM
A brief GIRUY, a cupped ear, a brief finger to the lips or whatever I could deal with.

This was sustained antagonism, there are rules in place to deal with it and the referee failed to do so.

If we're going to have to go through the inquest into bad crowd behaviour I think it is reasonable that questions should be asked of players provoking fans, referees not enforcing rules and their reasons for doing so.

I wonder if Morelos had done that at Parkhead whether it would have been ignored in the same way. All it would have taken was McLean do his job and have a word with him.

Tarrahib
11-03-2019, 08:23 PM

One of our previous managers got sent to the stand for doing aeroplanes!

Criswell
12-03-2019, 12:48 AM

I agree. A player celebrating a goal with a spontaneous brief gesture towards the opposition fans is on the whole acceptable. A sustained wilful goading of opposition fans could certainly be viewed as inflammatory. There is a line that can be crossed and referees must be aware of this and take appropriate action.

Pete
12-03-2019, 01:58 AM
I like it and find it funny, not going to lie.

We almost all loved when Cummings got it up the Hearts fans every time he scored for us against them, so we can't go crying when somebody gives us a taste of our own medicine.

I know this'll put me in a very, very small minority of Hibs fans, but even Skacel's debut goal celebration against us I found quite funny.

I agree. No matter the celebration, it’s part of the pantomime that we are all knowingly participating in.

If anyone wants to cross the line, inside or outside the stadium then that’s up to them and they’ll surely face the consequences.

Its an emotive game and you can understand some spur of the moment actions but if you take it too seriously then you need to get a life or seek help.

Onion
12-03-2019, 06:01 AM
This is where I see it.
When we go to more or less any form of entertainment there is a stage for the performers and an area for spectators. There is no place where the two should meet in conflict.
The habit that football players have developed of throwing themselves in to their own support or alternatively winding up opposition fans has to be a factor in some idiots thinking that the boundary no longer exists.
The idiots in the support need to get a grip but so do the clubs in realising that their players’ behaviour is a big factor in this disturbing escalation of what is not a new problem.

For years the MSM has ignored the issues. Suddenly there seems to be a realisation that things are in danger of going too far and along come our MSM all shocked and surprised to discover that there is violence, hatred, racism and bigotry in our game. Have they been hiding behind the settee all these years? Regardless of that, at least it is being called out now.

Onward and upwards 😏

Spot on !

Phil MaGlass
12-03-2019, 06:29 AM
I wonder how many Hibs fans would have cheered if Morelos or Candy ass had got a hard punch in the face from a Hibs fan with their antagonistic GIRFUY,s gestures?

calumhibee1
12-03-2019, 06:37 AM

Exactly. A quick gesture or whatever then fair enough. 20 seconds of gestures while the ref makes a conscious effort not to turn round and see it or else he’d have to book him is what pissed me off.