PDA

View Full Version : Sack Heckingbottom...Said Nobody at All!

green with envy
09-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Hardly had time to sup the first moothfy of my pint when I got back to the pub after the game last night, when I was asked from a good mate and a regular ST holder my thoughts.

My reply was that I was delighted with a hard fought point, only for his reply to this was I would sack Heckingbottom. His logic made no sense to me and I told him that I wasn't even going to give him the time of day as to why he thought that.

When I got home around 1.30am I was really surprised with the amount of negativity that was on here RE: the performance against a very decent rangers team, bearing in mind how depleted our squad is I was delighted that the manager realised that he got it wrong not only with his starting choice of formation but the ability to change it by bringing Omeonga in from the wide position into a more central one and bringing Kamberi in from his CF position to playing him out wide. That for me was a really good tactic that certainly went a long way in getting a decent point in the end.

Sack the manager after only four league games, gaining 10 points out of 12 - yer having a laugh.

The 90+2
09-03-2019, 07:24 PM
The head coach is doing much better than the last with the group of players he can’t add to. Nobody at all had said sack him.

Bizzare.

Jim44
09-03-2019, 07:30 PM
The head coach is doing much better than the last with the group of players he can’t add to. Nobody at all had said sack him.

Bizzare.

Without dredging through everything said on here last night, I think that a lot of the comments were ( unfairly IMO) going in the direction of not wanting Heckingbottom.

green with envy
09-03-2019, 07:30 PM

Bizzare.

Eh? I never said anyone on here did.

leith_hibs
09-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Hardly had time to sup the first moothfy of my pint when I got back to the pub after the game last night, when I was asked from a good mate and a regular ST holder my thoughts.

My reply was that I was delighted with a hard fought point, only for his reply to this was I would sack Heckingbottom. His logic made no sense to me and I told him that I wasn't even going to give him the time of day as to why he thought that.

When I got home around 1.30am I was really surprised with the amount of negativity that was on here RE: the performance against a very decent rangers team, bearing in mind how depleted our squad is I was delighted that the manager realised that he got it wrong not only with his starting choice of formation but the ability to change it by bringing Omeonga in from the wide position into a more central one and bringing Kamberi in from his CF position to playing him out wide. That for me was a really good tactic that certainly went a long way in getting a decent point in the end.

Sack the manager after only four league games, gaining 10 points out of 12 - yer having a laugh.

That should have been the tactic before the start of the game and certainly 5 mins in to the game!

Think the issue is, is that he has promised/philosophy of high pressing football, going forward with purpose and the ball on the deck. None of which have been met.

Before the response of aye but we beat Hamilton etc. and won away to St Johnstone all of which is correct however, St Johnstone could have been two up before we scored, Dundee keeper was poor, and when Hamilton changed their formation in the second half they more or less nullified us. So we still haven’t hit these promises of high intensity, high press, etc.

That’s my take on what the folk are getting at re; getting rid of a guy that knows nothing about Scottish football and has walked in to a club suffering a lot of injuries etc.

I say give him time, at least a transfer window or, two - as long as we are not near the bottom before the second window.

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Your mate is a quality troll. Does he post on here, by any chance? :greengrin

Sergey
09-03-2019, 07:36 PM
FFS - The guy is just in the door and he has Stevenson/Hanlon/ McGregor/SDG as his back four. Even Harry Houdini couldn't make that work.

:gwa2:

green with envy
09-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Your mate is a quality troll. Does he post on here, by any chance? :greengrin

He definitely doesn't.

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 07:44 PM
He definitely doesn't.

Sounds like he'd fit right in, with that kind of patter :wink:

green with envy
09-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Sounds like he'd fit right in, with that kind of patter :wink:

:greengrin

Heisenberg
09-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Sadly it seems some folk aren’t going to get over Lennon quickly. Heckingbottom has made a great start yet there have been so many already questioning his appointment. Plenty also seem to forgot how utterly dire we were under Lennon this season.

Can’t wait to see who Heckingbottom signs over the summer to improve the team.

Hibbyradge
09-03-2019, 07:54 PM

Bizzare.

His mate did. That's his point.

HibbySpurs
09-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Mental.

I was disappointed when NL left but I think Heckingbottom is doing a decent job thus far with the resources available to him at present.

Back in the top 6 and 4 decent league performances.

I was praying to get to HT last night at 0-0 so he would have the chance to change things.

That wasn’t to be but change it he did and we were much more competitive in the 2nd half and could potentially have won the game.

Could have switched it around earlier? Yes of course he could but his post match interview hinted that he felt he needed the duration of the break to explain what he was needing the players to do and perhaps felt trying to do it on the hoof so to speak during the first half may have caused more harm than good.

The_Horde
09-03-2019, 07:58 PM

Whilst I remain unconvinced by Hecky, time will be the teller and I think folk forget we've already had two similar backs to the wall games against the sticky buns this season, and that was with Lennon in charge and the likes of Boyle and Ambrose still in the team.

hibbydad
09-03-2019, 07:58 PM
It will take more than 1 transfer window to sort out the mess Lennon left but I am quietly confident Heckingbottom will do it with all our support

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Anyone else for a slo-no car crash on repeat type of thread?

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Anyone else for a slo-no car crash on repeat type of thread?

My draft thread titled "Hibs are a basket case club and I'm away to watch the mighty Jam Tarts" is going to be some read. Don't think it's the right time yet; I will first let things settle on the forum, for maximum impact.

Carheenlea
09-03-2019, 08:06 PM
For a lot of fans, you get the feeling that Paul and Robbie will always be just a couple of bad results away from being hounded out.

The Wireless
09-03-2019, 08:10 PM
FFS - The guy is just in the door and he has Stevenson/Hanlon/ McGregor/SDG as his back four. Even Harry Houdini couldn't make that work.

Is that 4 Scottish Cup Legends you mean🇳🇬

green with envy
09-03-2019, 08:22 PM

Correct.

tamig
09-03-2019, 08:23 PM
That should have been the tactic before the start of the game and certainly 5 mins in to the game!

Think the issue is, is that he has promised/philosophy of high pressing football, going forward with purpose and the ball on the deck. None of which have been met.

Before the response of aye but we beat Hamilton etc. and won away to St Johnstone all of which is correct however, St Johnstone could have been two up before we scored, Dundee keeper was poor, and when Hamilton changed their formation in the second half they more or less nullified us. So we still haven’t hit these promises of high intensity, high press, etc.

That’s my take on what the folk are getting at re; getting rid of a guy that knows nothing about Scottish football and has walked in to a club suffering a lot of injuries etc.

I say give him time, at least a transfer window or, two - as long as we are not near the bottom before the second window.
Think some of your comments are a bit harsh. He’s made it clear how he wants the game played. However, you can’t play like that with any set of players - and as you said, our squad has been hit hard by injuries. He needs to get players in that will be able to play the way he aspires to. He’s doing superbly with what he has available at the moment imo.

heretoday
09-03-2019, 08:27 PM
We've clearly performed with more bottle on the pitch since Heck took over.

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 08:28 PM
We've clearly performed with more bottle on the pitch since Heck took over.

Not the best turn of phrase just noo, mate. :wink:

green with envy
09-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Bizarre! Just realised that the title of the thread has been changed.

Admins?

The 90+2
09-03-2019, 08:51 PM

Yeah I read it wrongly, apologies to the op.

green with envy
09-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Yeah I read it wrongly, apologies to the op.

Ha, no worries friend.

leith_hibs
09-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Think some of your comments are a bit harsh. He’s made it clear how he wants the game played. However, you can’t play like that with any set of players - and as you said, our squad has been hit hard by injuries. He needs to get players in that will be able to play the way he aspires to. He’s doing superbly with what he has available at the moment imo.

You’re right and that’s why I wrote give him a couple of transfer windows unless we are near bottom by the second. Then we will all be in a better position to judge him.

SlickShoes
09-03-2019, 09:09 PM
The first half of the match day thread is full of folk saying he was out of his depth, embarrassment and he should be binned. I bailed out at that point, he’s just in the door and our only loss so far is to Celtic in the cup. Hardly terrible, and we’ve dug out some good results and looked far more committed than we did under Eddie may and the end of lennons reign.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Bizarre! Just realised that the title of the thread has been changed.

Admins?

Reorientates things just a smidgeon ... like a 180 degree turn. Flump!

Northernhibee
09-03-2019, 09:18 PM
For some people it wouldn’t have been possible for the football to have been too dire as long as we had Lennon at the helm. Some of them will never be won round and if they don’t want to return, fantastic.

Time to build a new era with a positive coach with a good footballing brain, is 100% behind the club and represents us with dignity. Results so far have been great and that’s not even with his players.

green with envy
09-03-2019, 09:18 PM
Reorientates things just a smidgeon ...

As it was said, okay not by anyone on here granted. Again why?

Smartie
09-03-2019, 09:26 PM
The first half of the match day thread is full of folk saying he was out of his depth, embarrassment and he should be binned. I bailed out at that point, he’s just in the door and our only loss so far is to Celtic in the cup. Hardly terrible, and we’ve dug out some good results and looked far more committed than we did under Eddie may and the end of lennons reign.

The first half the match day thread is full of folk commenting on his tactical naivety and urging him to make a change, which he did.

He's learning, and having to learn fast.

I've not heard anyone anywhere demand that he's sacked although many have urged him to do things differently.

To be fair to the guy, if he can turn last night's 5hitshow around then he should be able to do a cracking job for us and there shouldn't be much that should faze him.

10 points from 4 games is a cracking start whichever way you look at it.

The 90+2
09-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Ha, no worries friend.

👍 good man.

SlickShoes
09-03-2019, 09:34 PM
The first half the match day thread is full of folk commenting on his tactical naivety and urging him to make a change, which he did.

I've not heard anyone anywhere demand that he's sacked although many have urged him to do things differently.

To be fair to the guy, if he can turn last night's 5hitshow around then he should be able to do a cracking job for us and there shouldn't be much that should faze him.

It’s not like he just shouts a formation from the dug out then the game changes.

Folk seemed totally reluctant to admit Rangers were playing really well too, it was just heckingbottom fault and that was it, folk have it in for him already and it’s quite depressing to read every game when things aren’t going 100% right all the time.

green with envy
09-03-2019, 09:37 PM

You've no, but I did hence the thread.:wink:

Smartie
09-03-2019, 09:40 PM
It’s not like he just shouts a formation from the dug out then the game changes.

Folk seemed totally reluctant to admit Rangers were playing really well too, it was just heckingbottom fault and that was it, folk have it in for him already and it’s quite depressing to read every game when things aren’t going 100% right all the time.

Rangers were playing very well, and the main problem we had was that their strengths exposed our weaknesses horribly.

Injury has deprived us of most of our pace, Rangers are quick and used it to great effect to put us in trouble, but the way we set up from the start played into their hands.

I genuinely didn't see any way back into the match, I thought we were going to get horsed. Top marks to Heck for managing to use what he had at his disposal to win that point.

marinello59
09-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Rangers were playing very well, and the main problem we had was that their strengths exposed our weaknesses horribly.

Injury has deprived us of most of our pace, Rangers are quick and used it to great effect to put us in trouble, but the way we set up from the start played into their hands.

I genuinely didn't see any way back into the match, I thought we were going to get horsed. Top marks to Heck for managing to use what he had at his disposal to win that point.

:top marks

Smartie
09-03-2019, 09:43 PM
You've no, but I did hence the thread.:wink:

Fair enough.

I was contributing as much as anybody to the match thread that was quoted.

My knickers were wringing wet by half time, but I was not calling for the manager to go, nor was anyone else.

green with envy
09-03-2019, 09:44 PM

Absolutely spot-on.

RyeSloan
09-03-2019, 10:30 PM
All a bit strange this narrative about people not being able to let Lennon go and any replacement will be hounded at the first opportunity.

Maybe I’m getting old but I could have sworn the narrative when Lennon was here that there was the opposite in that some people that would never accept him no matter what he did.

But now he’s gone we’ve flipped to the opposite story? Weird.

Sioux
09-03-2019, 10:58 PM

There's plenty tactical geniuses on here right enough.

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2019, 10:58 PM
I'm happy to admit I was raging at the approach we took both in the Celtic game and in the first half last night. I couldn't see how with little pace up front we could possibly play a defensive game starting at the half way line with our strikers and hope to effectively work the opposition defence. That proved to be the case against Celtic for practically the whole 90 minutes and against Sevco for 50 minutes. Both last night and against Celtic we left nobody up the park when the opposition had a corner, where the hell is the out ball in that scenario?

Having said that, anybody calling for the manager's head at this stage needs their bumps felt, we have turned a corner results wise and even I'm happy to admit he is perhaps going against his own philosophy after assessing what he has and deciding they cant play to the style he wants, though the last 30 minutes last night would suggest we are capable of a high pressing game.

I'm happy to wait until we have a full squad to pick from and for the manager to have at least one window to bring in his own players, that's only fair …. but if after that the style of football remains as it has been for the last two games when we play the so called 'big' teams I for one will be less than impressed and I'm sure a lot of our fans will feel the same.

Smartie
09-03-2019, 11:02 PM
There's plenty tactical geniuses on here right enough.

To be fair, the change that most folk on here were crying out for was reasonably obvious and not far off what he eventually did to great effect.

You don't need to be a tactical genius to know that a central midfield pairing of Milligan and Mallan would be totally over-run.

We've seen these players play all season, and we've seen the type of approach that has had a lot of joy against Rangers in recent years.

We have our wallopers amongst us but we've also got a good few people who have watched a lot of football over the years and know the game.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2019, 11:10 PM
He,s one of our own. The contrasting league results says it all for me.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

IberianHibernian
09-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Those in charge of our club who chose our new management team took a few weeks to appoint them so will have considered all factors ( short and longer term onfield results , effect on ticket sales , club image , compensation payments for alternatives etc etc ) . Comments on this thread so far are about tactics and results but I doubt they`ll be only major factors when supporters decide whether to accept management team or not - style of play , charisma of manager , etc will be more important .

Phil MaGlass
10-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Mental.

I was disappointed when NL left but I think Heckingbottom is doing a decent job thus far with the resources available to him at present.

Back in the top 6 and 4 decent league performances.

I was praying to get to HT last night at 0-0 so he would have the chance to change things.

That wasn’t to be but change it he did and we were much more competitive in the 2nd half and could potentially have won the game.

Could have switched it around earlier? Yes of course he could but his post match interview hinted that he felt he needed the duration of the break to explain what he was needing the players to do and perhaps felt trying to do it on the hoof so to speak during the first half may have caused more harm than good.

Good he came out and said that, the 1st half was bloody murder and we were really lucky not to be 2/3 down before half time, he saw his tactics werent working and limped into half time, we were certainly a different team the 2nd half, hopefully we can kick on from here, I still think we will finish top 4.

eastcoasthibby
10-03-2019, 07:16 AM

Never singling out guys that since he has come in are doing a pretty decent job, you could point the finger probably as much at a totally unbalanced and very limited quality in midfield as the bigger problem. The key point is that Hecky has inherited the squad he has got and is in my view at least so far got a set of pretty decent results in the league since he came in, there may be breaks and things that have gone our way in gamea, but thats what happens in every game for every team.
In respect of his tactics against the best 2 teams in the league, he got it wrong and the outcomes could have been worse, but he learned during the game and will learn going forward, but the reality is his options are extremelylimited as are quite a few of our players abilities. We need to get real and support the efforts til the end of the season and let's see what he brings in for next season, which I think will be a very different player type and more capable of playing the way he has identified as his preferred style.

Brightside
10-03-2019, 07:27 AM
This site is full of people who give out opinions in the heat of the moment. I always hope that they read them back the next day and realise how dense they appear. It’s used to be just when we get beat but it’s now as bad when we actually pick up points. Twitter and FB is even worse. I can only assume most of them don’t get their hole very often

Northernhibee
10-03-2019, 07:31 AM
He,s one of our own. The contrasting league results says it all for me.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

I bet he will fully celebrate goals against Celtic too.

Keith_M
10-03-2019, 11:19 AM
I bet he will fully celebrate goals against Celtic too.

:tee hee:

CraigHibee
11-03-2019, 12:47 AM

Bizzare.

You just need to look at some of the Facebook groups and some of the brain dead twats that post on there saying heck is crap etc, not sure where they get their intelligence from tbh

weecounty hibby
11-03-2019, 06:02 AM
There is a guy that sits a few rows behind me in the FF upper who was shouting that he should GTF on Friday. To be fair though the guy is consistent, he didn't seem to be a fan of Lennon and he pretty much shouts that every Hibs player on the park is ****. Sometimes wonder why he bothers

JimBHibees
11-03-2019, 06:42 AM

Is that like 'my friend has a problem'. :greengrin

Besties Debut
11-03-2019, 09:32 AM
One guy in a pub makes a random comment and a whole thread is started about it. You should hear some of the nonsense my mates come out with in the pub. I would need to start my own forum if I was going to post every comment

pacoluna
11-03-2019, 11:32 AM
I think the match day thread was consistent with the atmosphere at the match. 1st half was absolutely dire, second half much better, similar to stj game. Impressed with how he has twice got a reaction at HT.

Kato
11-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Weird, eh. A few of my mates know nothing about football too, but still go to games.

Lord knows what it is they see.

Bangkok Hibby
11-03-2019, 12:35 PM
This site is full of people who give out opinions in the heat of the moment. I always hope that they read them back the next day and realise how dense they appear. It’s used to be just when we get beat but it’s now as bad when we actually pick up points. Twitter and FB is even worse. I can only assume most of them don’t get their hole very often

Haha brilliant. I dont get to many games but definitely get my hole every day. Never feel the need to slag my team 😃

jacomo
11-03-2019, 07:55 PM

Houdini definitely couldn’t make that work. Unless our defenders spend their free time breaking out of handcuffs while locked inside a barrel??

As a back four though, they are ok. Approaching veteran status for sure, but top guys.