PDA

View Full Version : Defoe

theonlywayisup
09-03-2019, 06:57 PM
Watching the City game tonight the commentator said that if Aguero scored he would join Defoe as the 7th leading Premier League scorer. It then made me realise that, apart from the McGregor sending off, I hadn't realised that he was on the pitch against us last night.

Jermain, maybe time to retire!

BoyledEgg
09-03-2019, 07:00 PM
He came on as a sub about 5 minutes before McGregor was sent off...

RoYO!
09-03-2019, 07:01 PM

Thank you for clearing that up! I had been thinking the same thing! :D

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Aye, bit harsh on the guy :greengrin

Hibbyradge
09-03-2019, 07:11 PM

He was responsible for McGregor's sending off.

theonlywayisup
09-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Re the replies above, he's was on the pitch for 15 minutes. Surely enough time to show his class. Someone on mega sums per month versus our guys on much much less.

BoyledEgg
09-03-2019, 07:21 PM

Yip.

BoyledEgg
09-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Re the replies above, he's was on the pitch for 15 minutes. Surely enough time to show his class. Someone on mega sums per month versus our guys on much much less.

He’s not a player that will have a huge influence in a match and never has been. But if he gets a chance 9 times out of 10 he will score.

Smartie
09-03-2019, 09:18 PM

I don't think Daryl Horgan could have been more responsible for McGregor's sending off if he'd shown him the red card himself.

Threw him under the bus.

Defoe has been quieter than I'd have expected. I thought he was an excellent player who would have been taking these chances but he doesn't seem to be making that much of an impact.

He was probably exactly what they were needing during the first half.

green with envy
09-03-2019, 09:21 PM

I thought that it was Horgan.:greengrin

calumhibee1
09-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Another English has-been.

WeeRussell
09-03-2019, 10:46 PM
He’s an excellent forward. I feared he’d score barrel loads for them when he signed but doesn’t seem to be playing all that much.

As for Friday night. There’s a number of incidents and people worthy of making threads about. But one to have a pop at Defoe’s cameo contribution? Nah.

SouthMoroccoStu
09-03-2019, 10:54 PM
Another player that thinks the Scottish leagues are poor and that they’ll walk is and pick up an easy wage

The money might be there but he can help create a support group with Joey Barton

Speedy
09-03-2019, 11:38 PM
He’s not a player that will have a huge influence in a match and never has been. But if he gets a chance 9 times out of 10 he will score.

Not just saying this because he now plays for Rangers but he must be the most overrated 'finisher' in British football.

For such a 'natural finisher' he hasn't half fluffed a lot of chances.

Keyser Sauzee
10-03-2019, 12:06 AM

Horgan was solely responsible for McGregor sending off

BoyledEgg
10-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Not just saying this because he now plays for Rangers but he must be the most overrated 'finisher' in British football.

Eh? He’s scored goals at every club he’s been at, and at international level. He’s not going to be as quick and sharp as he used to be but he will still score more than he will miss.

Since452
10-03-2019, 06:12 AM
Im still waiting for Defoe to start ripping this pub league to shreds

SquashedFrogg
10-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Im still waiting for Defoe to start ripping this pub league to shreds

lol Still can't believe people actually thought that. The guy's finished. Hence why he's at Ibrox.

eastcoasthibby
10-03-2019, 07:05 AM
Let them keep wasting mega money on his wages, it all works towards them digging themselves into a bigger financial hole !!!

BoomtownHibees
10-03-2019, 07:28 AM
Eh? He’s scored goals at every club he’s been at, and at international level. He’s not going to be as quick and sharp as he used to be but he will still score more than he will miss.

He has in the past however 4 goals since joining Bournemouth in 2017 isn’t a great return. I expected him to do well up here but he hasn’t shown much at all

Bristolhibby
10-03-2019, 07:30 AM

McGregor was responsible for McGregors sending off. But yes. It was Defoe who shipped the ball then let him self get rolled by McGregor.

J

heretoday
10-03-2019, 07:35 AM
He used to miss loads of chances when he played for Spurs.

Speedy
10-03-2019, 08:39 AM

No doubt he's had a great career, and is a very good player, but all throughout it you'll hear commentators talking about how he's such a 'natural finisher' or 'one of the best finishers in Europe' etc.

I've never understood why. He fluffs loads of chances.

Just had a quick look at his stats. 39% shots on target, compared that with a few random strikers who came to mind. Crouch, Josh King, Berbatov all have better shots on target ratios. Of the 4 others I checked only Heskey was worse.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/1526/Jermain-Defoe/stats

Edit: just realised there is a Big Chances Missed stat on there. Defoe has 53 and a shots on target of 39%, Robbie Keane has missed 5 big chances and has a shots on target ratio of 46%

emerald green
10-03-2019, 09:19 AM
I don't think Daryl Horgan could have been more responsible for McGregor's sending off if he'd shown him the red card himself.

Threw him under the bus.

:agree: Darren had to "take one for the team".

BILLYHIBS
10-03-2019, 09:21 AM
I wonder what he thought of the bile and hatred and white hot atmosphere that is a HIBS v The Rangers fixture?

A few tourists sitting beside me did not reappear for the second half

Then again what will he make of Celtic v The Rangers?

Smartie
10-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Sunderland have a hard crowd to impress and they loved him.

adhibs
10-03-2019, 09:23 PM
I wonder what he thought of the bile and hatred and white hot atmosphere that is a HIBS v The Rangers fixture?

A few tourists sitting beside me did not reappear for the second half

Then again what will he make of Celtic v The Rangers?

If they didn't reapear must've been the brutal football. The first half was as tame as you can get .

Lancs Harp
10-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Jermaine Defoe is one of the best finishers I have seen, regardless of the fact that he's now an orc. He can still find the net at 36 years old (or whatever he is now) he's a class act. Sorry if that offends your anti Hun/ England agenda. Well actually I'm not.

matty_f
10-03-2019, 09:31 PM
He went down very, very easily to get Daz sent off.

Speedy
10-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Jermaine Defoe is one of the best finishers I have seen, regardless of the fact that he's now an orc. He can still find the net at 36 years old (or whatever he is now) he's a class act. Sorry if that offends your anti Hun/ England agenda. Well actually I'm not.

Strange comment

Lancs Harp
10-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Strange comment

Not really mate. If you dont get it you dont get it.

Allant1981
11-03-2019, 05:56 AM

9 goals since the start of last season suggests he is not that good any longer, for 80 odd grand a week I'd be wanting better if I was the Bournemouth and rangers managers

Springbank
11-03-2019, 06:01 AM
Not really mate. If you dont get it you dont get it.

Rangers like to equate themselves to britain & british

personally, with an english wife, in-laws & so on, i would say (1) theres not really any anti-english chat that i hear in leith, not in the 16 years she has lived here as home and (2) the horrible small-minded version of "britain" that rangers, the dup and the conservative party offer makes scotland a more appealing place than britain

MikeyS
11-03-2019, 07:15 AM
Think we can add him to the list of other English Prem players who struggled to meet expectations up here,

Juninho
Ljungberg
Barton
Gravesen
Ian Wright