PDA

View Full Version : A wee touch of whitabootery.

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2019, 06:06 PM
OK …. So for the second time in a week Hibs, or more specifically Leeann Dempster, have quite rightly felt the need to call out the minority of morons in our support. I have no problem with that, its exactly what we should be doing.

But on 'other social media' I have needed to jump to Dempster's defence against accusations of turning a blind eye to the behaviour of visiting fans to Easter Road and to be honest that's not easy to do because I don't seem to have much evidence to back up my defence of her stance on that.

Exactly at what point will this club or the people speaking for it start to publicly call out other clubs and the fans who follow them for their behaviour?

During the 2016 cup final the manager of this club was subjected to vile sectarian abuse which could clearly be heard by those within the stadium and on TV and yet Hibs said nothing, even on the back of a blatant bunch of lies directed at this club's support from an official source at The Rangers. Last season at Ibrox our then manager was subjected to a torrent of sectarian abuse for the full 90 minutes and the club said nothing.

Last Saturday dozens of seats were broken in the south stand and a smoke bomb thrown onto the pitch … Hibs officially said nothing.

Last night the sectarian singing from the south stand was ramped up to 100 and more seats were broken and objects, including seats, thrown at fans in the east stand …. Hibs have said nothing. We rightly apologised to the player attacked, but had nothing to say regarding a player from the same club deliberately goading our fans, not for the first time either as I recall, and escaping scot free without even a word from the ref …. If we are officially apologising to teams is it then beyond reason to remind them of THEIR obligation to prevent their players from inciting the crowd?

I am the first to leap to the board's defence in the face of unjust and sometimes plain ridiculous accusations pointed at it …. but sometimes you cant help thinking even the dolts inhabiting social media might just have a point.

The 90+2
09-03-2019, 06:20 PM
I’m sure there’s an agreement not rip into other supports and leave it to their club.

Ozyhibby
09-03-2019, 06:21 PM
It’s a fair point. Inviting 3500 people to come to the stadium and belt out anti catholic songs shows the club are willing to put aside what’s right in exchange for a few quid.
This guy who has a go at Tavernier is an idiot and deserves his ban but spare me the sanctimony Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
09-03-2019, 06:26 PM
So our board are the same as all the others in the league - that's what you're saying?

Cat Stanton
09-03-2019, 06:27 PM
OK …. So for the second time in a week Hibs, or more specifically Leeann Dempster, have quite rightly felt the need to call out the minority of morons in our support. I have no problem with that, its exactly what we should be doing.

But on 'other social media' I have needed to jump to Dempster's defence against accusations of turning a blind eye to the behaviour of visiting fans to Easter Road and to be honest that's not easy to do because I don't seem to have much evidence to back up my defence of her stance on that.

Exactly at what point will this club or the people speaking for it start to publicly call out other clubs and the fans who follow them for their behaviour?

During the 2016 cup final the manager of this club was subjected to vile sectarian abuse which could clearly be heard by those within the stadium and on TV and yet Hibs said nothing, even on the back of a blatant bunch of lies directed at this club's support from an official source at The Rangers. Last season at Ibrox our then manager was subjected to a torrent of sectarian abuse for the full 90 minutes and the club said nothing.

Last Saturday dozens of seats were broken in the south stand and a smoke bomb thrown onto the pitch … Hibs officially said nothing.

Last night the sectarian singing from the south stand was ramped up to 100 and more seats were broken and objects, including seats, thrown at fans in the east stand …. Hibs have said nothing. We rightly apologised to the player attacked, but had nothing to say regarding a player from the same club deliberately goading our fans, not for the first time either as I recall, and escaping scot free without even a word from the ref …. If we are officially apologising to teams is it then beyond reason to remind them of THEIR obligation to prevent their players from inciting the crowd?

I am the first to leap to the board's defence in the face of unjust and sometimes plain ridiculous accusations pointed at it …. but sometimes you cant help thinking even the dolts inhabiting social media might just have a point.

Well said. Absolutely spot on. And the years of tiresome sectarian singing go on and on precisely because nobody (the very occasional Steve Clarke and Neil Lennon comment aside) says anything about it. And Hibs are equally guilty in this.

Mick O'Rourke
09-03-2019, 06:52 PM
I mostly agree with the opening comments from NN
Particularly on once again and again,the silence on the "up tae oor knees" "song"

Now not to get into "whatabootery" ;-)

But Leeann did deflect when asked the question about the broken seat being thrown from the Dunbar End on to the running track.
I know she appeared very emotional,embarrassed and angry as to what she did comment on.

None the less, the broken chair incident in my view is very serious and has to be investigated,if possible.

The sevco fans in that end would be on their clubs database, and if the culprit is identified (long shot, i know) action should be taken,if it not already has.
(i read that others were arrested last night)

Had the broken bits of chair hit a steward,cameraman, ball boy or a cop, we may well have been reading different headlines this morning.

The club need to be more vocal in its condemnation of all acts of stupidity,sectarianism and violence.

The songbook from the South last night included stuff they wont sing at home games.

GGTTH

PS
Like most fans, i love LD and commend her for appearing so soon after the match to say what she did.
Hopefully her doing this "rattles some cages" elsewhere.

Ozyhibby
09-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Leeann has done a fine job at Hibs but if she is happy for the stadium to be filled with sectarian singing in return for the blue pound then she has to accept that the atmosphere this hatred generates comes at a price.

Edina Erin
09-03-2019, 07:23 PM
We need to get our own house in order - first time in 40 years of games against Rangers that I’ve heard Hibs fans singing a song about the Ibrox disaster. No need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigwheel
09-03-2019, 07:26 PM
We need to get our own house in order - first time in 40 years of games against Rangers that I’ve heard Hibs fans singing a song about the Ibrox disaster. No need.

Did that really happen ?? Disgrace. Where about?

Edina Erin
09-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Did that really happen ?? Disgrace. Where about?

From the singing section - and it was on 66 minutes, which I assume wasn’t a coincidence given the words of the song.

bigwheel
09-03-2019, 07:30 PM
From the singing section - and it was on 66 minutes, which I assume wasn’t a coincidence given the words of the song.

Never thought I'd hear that get sung again....pathetic....

ronaldo7
09-03-2019, 07:32 PM

I'm glad you've started a thread about this.

We sat in the east, last night, and seeing the Huns back to their normal full flowing sectarian selves was rather sad. I thought as a club, we'd moved past taking the blue pound. at easter road.

It seems not. It was actually mentioned by the youngsters we had in our group, about how many Rangers fans were at the match.

That is a choice from our club, and I'd rather they didn't make.

For those wanting to take the blue pound, they're going to alienate good hibs fans who've not had to endure the sectarian bile of the past due to their limited numbers.

It's a choice we make as a club, whether we, under the rules, limit the space to the bigots and sectarian zealots, or not.

Over to you Hibs.

proud_and_green
09-03-2019, 07:32 PM
I sort of agree, but it is difficult to say anything about others on the back of silly behaviour by our own support without it sounding like deflection.

We do need to call out bad behaviour by other clubs and I agree we have been rather silent in the past, we need to sort the bigoted crap out. But in order to do that we need to be a bit cleaner ourselves.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
09-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Can’t argue with anything she’s had to say.

I think it’s a valid point about not calling out others though. Saying nothing about the abuse Lennon and Stubbs received at Ibrox being the first thing that comes to mind. Clarke calling it out seems to have been quickly swept under the carpet right enough.

HibbySpurs
09-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Fully agree with the OP.

Hibs have taken a doing in the press for last night but the sweeping brushes and lifting of rugs about The Rangers sectarian singing just beggars belief.

The only way this stuff gets stamped out is for strict liability to be brought in but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

MWHIBBIES
09-03-2019, 08:21 PM
We still let Gary Mackay into Easter road and he racially abused a Hibs player, nothing is going to happen to 3500 paying Huns.

It's actually spineless because we could set a real marker down.

marinello59
09-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Fully agree with the OP.

Hibs have taken a doing in the press for last night but the sweeping brushes and lifting of rugs about The Rangers sectarian singing just beggars belief.

The only way this stuff gets stamped out is for strict liability to be brought in but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

So bring in strict liability and we get punished for ONE ******** who chucked a bottle and ONE drunk who went on to the pitch to kick the ball away. Be careful what you wish for, the Mercer songs would see us done as welll. Punishing the majority for the actions of a minority is never a good idea.

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 08:26 PM

Perhaps I've led a sheltered life, but I don't know of any such song, nor do I wish to know it. That's Old Firm type behaviour. Not good at all.

Feed McGraw
09-03-2019, 08:31 PM
I’m sure there’s an agreement not rip into other supports and leave it to their club. Sorry, but that`s not going to work with the likes of " The Rangers" though is it ?

Mick O'Rourke
09-03-2019, 08:34 PM
So bring in strict liability and we get punished for ONE ******** who chucked a bottle and ONE drunk who went on to the pitch to kick the ball away. Be careful what you wish for, the Mercer songs would see us done as welll. Punishing the majority for the actions of a minority is never a good idea.

Indeed
However there are existing laws that could be used to arrest fans for such behaviour that we have witnessed.
Police have to be more proactive at games than has been seen for many a day, since we have been using civilian stewards more often.
For example, had one or two cops been sitting on the empty seats near to where the guy ran down the steps.
Or even periodically walking up and down the stairways.
That in itself may have been a deterrent.
These guys may well ignore the presence of stewards, but less likely to ignore the presence of a copper or two.
Cops standing in the stadium corners with their arms folded, mostly watching the game is of no real use in preventing such incidents.
Is it ?

Feed McGraw
09-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Fully agree with the OP.

The only way this stuff gets stamped out is for strict liability to be brought in but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon. You`re right, but as soon as we mention these bigoted morons, even some of our own support mention this " whatabootery nonsense, WTF ? Never mind "whatabootery" , get their bigoted and often thuggish behaviour mentioned every time, whether our supporters have misbehaved or not.

brianmc
09-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Perhaps I've led a sheltered life, but I don't know of any such song, nor do I wish to know it. That's Old Firm type behaviour. Not good at all.

Seems like I'm a bit like you mate..I have no idea of the song being referenced.
I've had a season ticket in the East terrace/seated terrace/stand around the half way line since '89 and am none the wiser...
In my current seat at the back of the East I can barely see the singing section let alone hear them!

But - if they (or any others) have been singing about that tragedy or any other - they are **** of the highest order OR mislead imbeciles led by **** of the highest order!

Ozyhibby
09-03-2019, 08:44 PM
You`re right, but as soon as we mention these bigoted morons, even some of our own support mention this " whatabootery nonsense, WTF ? Never mind "whatabootery" , get their bigoted and often thuggish behaviour mentioned every time, whether our supporters have misbehaved or not.

No point in us mentioning it if the club continue to roll out the red carpet for them.

Feed McGraw
09-03-2019, 09:13 PM
No point in us mentioning it if the club continue to roll out the red carpet for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I know, we never seem to complain about their disgusting, never ending, bigoted, thuggish behaviour, but have to swallow their ridiculous statements when our fans misbehave in any way.

marinello59
09-03-2019, 09:25 PM
I know, we never seem to complain about their disgusting, never ending, bigoted, thuggish behaviour, but have to swallow their ridiculous statements when our fans misbehave in any way.

The ridiculous statements from?

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2019, 09:30 PM
I'm glad you've started a thread about this.

We sat in the east, last night, and seeing the Huns back to their normal full flowing sectarian selves was rather sad. I thought as a club, we'd moved past taking the blue pound. at easter road.

It seems not. It was actually mentioned by the youngsters we had in our group, about how many Rangers fans were at the match.

That is a choice from our club, and I'd rather they didn't make.

For those wanting to take the blue pound, they're going to alienate good hibs fans who've not had to endure the sectarian bile of the past due to their limited numbers.

It's a choice we make as a club, whether we, under the rules, limit the space to the bigots and sectarian zealots, or not.

Over to you Hibs.

This is a point that's been discussed a few times recently mate, but really its not all that relevant to this discussion. If you want to do away with sectarian singing or broken seats in the away end you could do it at a stroke by just banning away fans totally.

I wasn't even really even bringing this subject up because I myself was thinking about the clubs relative inaction to certain events, I just had to admit that I couldn't really deny that folk on social media criticising the club for inaction probably had a point to a certain degree.

From my own point of view I do think its getting to the stage where Hibs have to be more proactive. I recall distinctly Jason Cummings getting sent off against Hearts for two bookings and for the first one all he did was stand facing the away end with his arms outstretched. When Morelos scored against Hibs last season he gave it big time to the FF stand and then ran up the pitch, he stopped turned back walked towards the FF and gave it more of the same … no booking. Last night he approached the most volatile part of the stadium to act like a prat when he wasn't even the one who had scored …. still no booking. The rule about celebrating excessively in front of opposition fans is there for a reason, are Sevco exempt from that rule? …. Given what happened last night its a question Hibs should be asking.

Then we have the sectarian songs and abuse …. our last two managers have both had sectarian songs and abuse aimed directly at them, both in a national cup final broadcast all over the world and at Ibrox more than once. Why are Hibs so reluctant to publicly comment on it?

We are now at a stage where our stadium is getting trashed on a regular basis, and not just us. Why are we not making an issue of it, its the same two clubs every time and its time we did made an issue of it, regardless of any unwritten rule there might be that clubs don't comment … if there is such an unwritten agreement it is nonsense and I expect better of my club than to agree to such a thing.

Some of the abuse aimed at Leeann Dempster on social media is vile accusing her of being a Hun and a Hun C**** …… I have no time for that rubbish, but on the other hand how can I shout down these people when under her stewardship the club seem incredibly reluctant to call out Sevco for sectarian ***** at our stadium which our fans are forced to listen to every time they visit and sectarian abuse directly targeted at our managers, or to call out the SPFL for referees who refuse to apply rules to their players which they vigorously apply to ours and 'most' other clubs, not to mention the constant vandalism of our stadium.

I don't think for a second that Leeann Dempster being a fan of the Rangers either in the past or currently makes her a Hun plant looking to run Hibs down and refusing to make waves because the club almost always involved is Sevco …. I don't think that, but I would just like a wee bit of concrete evidence I can point to that I am right in not thinking that.

Feed McGraw
09-03-2019, 09:38 PM
The ridiculous statements from? The Rangers ?

green day
09-03-2019, 09:52 PM
You are not wrong about the behaviour of Celtic/Sevco fans.

However I'm afraid some of our fans have given the bigots an open goal in the last week or so.

Dempster would have looked utterly ridiculous apologising for a fan confronting Tavernier, or throwing a bottle at Sinclair........then saying in the next breath "aye but what about XYZ".

That bams on twitter think she should be saying it doesn't really give any weight to the argument either.

If we can't get our own house in order, then nobody's going to listen to a word we say about the bigots, end of story.

Feed McGraw
09-03-2019, 09:58 PM
You are not wrong about the behaviour of Celtic/Sevco fans.

However I'm afraid some of our fans have given the bigots an open goal in the last week or so.

Dempster would have looked utterly ridiculous apologising for a fan confronting Tavernier, or throwing a bottle at Sinclair........then saying in the next breath "aye but what about XYZ".

That bams on twitter think she should be saying it doesn't really give any weight to the argument either.

If we can't get our own house in order, then nobody's going to listen to a word we say about the bigots, end of story. There was the opportunity to say it long before this last week.

marinello59
09-03-2019, 10:00 PM
The Rangers ?

Thanks, I was genuinely lost there. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
09-03-2019, 10:05 PM
It's absolutely right that Leeann Dempster criticises any unacceptable behaviour from Hibs fans and I've no problem with her apologising to Sinclair and Tavernier.

However I have been disappointed with her silence whenever our fans and players/managers have been subjected to some disgraceful treatment at other stadiums, in particular Tynecastle and Ibrox. She must be aware of it because it's been highlighted many times on here and also on social media but yet we have had no official statements on the website, no quotes in the media and no live radio interviews condemning this behaviour and coming to the defence of our fans and employees who are subjected to such treatment.

I'm a fan of Leeann Dempster, I think she's been hugely positive for us but I am disappointed that she seems to only be interested in condemning the behaviour of Hibs fans who misbehave. I'll repeat once again that I have no issue with that at all as you cannot condone people throwing glass bottles and coming onto the pitch to confront players but we deserve to be defended by the club when we come under attack at opposition grounds and I don't feel that's happened enough so far.

Feed McGraw
09-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Thanks, I was genuinely lost there. :greengrin It`s late on a Saturday night, I`m lost too and thinking " get tae yer bed ya auld fool" and stop trying to put the Hibee world to rights. :greengrin

marinello59
09-03-2019, 10:10 PM
It`s late on a Saturday night, I`m lost too and thinking " get tae yer bed ya auld fool" and stop trying to put the Hibee world to rights. :greengrin

:greengrin

Tornadoes70
09-03-2019, 10:12 PM

I agree. Zero tolerance is never a good idea as in reality it removes scope for tolerance and mitigating circumstances to be taken into account such as the club has literally done all it could to limit crowd disorder and shouldn't be held liable for one idiot taking leave of their senses.

I'm certain by now the idiot who took a rush of blood to the head will be heavily regretting his actions and the club have taken immediate action in both apologising to the player involved and will very probably ban the culprit for an indefinite period.

I hate the idea of 'zero tolerance' as it removes discretionary powers and clubs might then have to reconsider putting up fencing and other such drastic measures to ensure they're not punished for idiotic scenes such as last nights.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2019, 10:31 PM
There was the opportunity to say it long before this last week.

I agree with the guy you quoted, he is probably right to say that now is not the time to indulge in what will be looked upon as 'whitabootery' ….. But on the other hand you are perfectly correct to point out, as others surely will, that we have had ample opportunity before now to take a stand on many subjects affecting our club and fans, not least of all how we are treated at other stadiums, something I didn't mention but others rightly have.

we have shown that when our fans do get out of hand the club are prepared to take a firm stand, a stand that the vast majority of our fans agree with. What happened when in hugely unusual occurrence the owner of Sevco castigated their fans after the Steve Clarke incident? … at the very next game they shoved his comments up his arse with a sarcastic banner.

That's why strict liability has to be looked at, because what chairmen, managers, players and even other fans are saying clearly has no effect on a set of fans who have always been allowed to do what they want and continue to act accordingly. It does not have to begin with points deductions, but a sliding scale applied throughout the season beginning with two warnings then closure of a stand then a game behind closed doors and if that doesn't work then a 3 point deduction ….. Given the form displayed by Sevco fans over the years they would be a cert for a points deduction eventually.

What constitutes sectarianism should be decided by an independent panel separate from football altogether, claims about 'oor culchure' and the like should be handled by such a panel by saying, we are not here to decide what is and isn't culturally appropriate, we are here to decide what songs and symbols perpetuate a culture of sectarianism in Scottish football and it is our job for the good of the game to rule out singing of these songs and display of these symbols in Scotland's football stadiums.

WeeRussell
09-03-2019, 11:01 PM
I agree there are a number of people that should have spoken out about this long ago. However Dempster was right to come out and condemn the recent behaviour of individual morons among our support and it definitely was not the time to start pointing the finger elsewhere.

SideBurns
09-03-2019, 11:31 PM

On this forum, it's been said that songs were heard about the Ibrox Disaster and Broony's sister (bizarrely, given the opposition), apparently from the singing section. I sit in the FF Lower, virtually immediately below where the section is based in the Upper, and the only song I heard which could be regarded as distasteful was one regarding the Huns goalie (though at least you could say it was probably a reaction to his antics).

Now, any songs about the Disaster and Scott's sister are quite obviously way beyond the pale. I didn't hear either, so I'm assuming it was a very small minority and didn't last long. Since neither seemed to catch fire, does this mean there is self-policing amongst the singing section? I hope so, as the Jambos attempt to replicate ours seems to have led to a Junior Diet Hun mob; I'd hate to think our atmosphere might turn similarly poisonous when our fitba songbook is rich and varied.

Keyser Sauzee
10-03-2019, 12:11 AM
We still let Gary Mackay into Easter road and he racially abused a Hibs player, nothing is going to happen to 3500 paying Huns.

It's actually spineless because we could set a real marker down.

That’s what gets on my nerves about it, we could be ahead of the curve in attempting to get rid of it but we think about cash first. I completely understand the argument about money being paramount in signing better players but I’m not a fan of money before morals and that is what it boils down to.

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2019, 02:07 AM
That’s what gets on my nerves about it, we could be ahead of the curve in attempting to get rid of it but we think about cash first. I completely understand the argument about money being paramount in signing better players but I’m not a fan of money before morals and that is what it boils down to.

We would also be taking on the SPFL as well then, because is it not the case that by league rules a percentage of tickets must be set aside for away fans? That aside we could reduce their allocation to the bare minimum. Lets say Hibs did that and made public our reasons for doing so along with a call to the clubs supporters to sell out our portion of the south stand for the next Sevco game in order to make up the shortfall, what do you think the fans response would be?

We would effectively be asking Hibs to spend thousands of pounds to make a point we would all say we support it making …. would we as a support be willing to put our money where our mouths are?

proud_and_green
10-03-2019, 06:02 AM
Strict liability is the correct way to go, however there is a problem in that in order for it to apply the offending club has to be found guilty of an offence. Given that the powers that be do not hear the bile from the ibrox stands or when they travel to other grounds or see any problems when coins rain down on our fans at ibrox I am not convinced it would make a huge difference.
I would like to see an independent adjudication, say from a EUFA rep, at all top flight matches. That rep would report on what was heard and seen and that would form the basis of any action. That report could not be ignored.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Phil MaGlass
10-03-2019, 06:34 AM

I swear, if someone had sung that song next to me, there would be a couple of sore faces leaving the stadium, if you know the story you wouldnt be singing the song. assholes.

Ozyhibby
10-03-2019, 07:34 AM
I swear, if someone had sung that song next to me, there would be a couple of sore faces leaving the stadium, if you know the story you wouldnt be singing the song. assholes.

I’ve never heard it sung at Easter road.

green day
10-03-2019, 08:20 AM
I’ve never heard it sung at Easter road.

I find it hard to believe that anyone was singing this song, or the one about Scott Browns sister.

Both stories sound completely made up.

In fact, most of the stuff written on here about our fans behaviour in the last week reeks.

overdrive
10-03-2019, 09:35 AM
I find it hard to believe that anyone was singing this song, or the one about Scott Browns sister.

In fact, most of the stuff written on here about our fans behaviour in the last week reeks.

They most definitely aren't made up and the only reason I didn't mention the Ibrox disaster one on the other thread is I didn't realise that was what it was about (I'm assuming it was the one about falling down the stairs or such like). Given I was the one who mentioned about the song about Scott Brown's sister being sung and I've been posting here for about 20 years and I'm a private member I really don't think I'm a jambo spreading malicious rumours which is what you seem to be implying. Just calling out terrible behaviour in our support. I sit directly in front of the singing section so I hear most of what is sung. FWIW, I don't think it was the regular singing section guys that were singing any of that stuff.

green day
10-03-2019, 10:52 AM
I really don't think I'm a jambo spreading malicious rumours.

Nor did I say you were......

Jones28
10-03-2019, 10:53 AM

What would a Hibs fan gain from making up ***** about fellow fans being roasters?

Have these posters got previous for it?

Strict liability is THE solution. Make the clubs liable for the behaviour of idiots and this stuff will stop.

Self-policing is all well and good but am I **** having a go at groups of pissed up neds for singing daft songs if it more than likely means I'll get a kicking. If the club faces fines, stand closures or points deductions then maybe these arse holes will think twice, but the liability shouldn't be put on to the shoulders of fans who go to games to enjoy themselves to wade in and weed out the idiots.

The Baldmans Comb
10-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Dempster isnt in a million trillion years going to call out the Sevco fans for breaking seats, throwing flares and definitely not for sectarian singing.

These songs run deep in their culture from cradle to grave of every single Sevconian and will never be eradicated.

Its laughable to even suggest it would even remotely cross her mind especially someone as career conscious always on the look out for the next job.

I'm surprised she didn't joi...............never mind.

Stuart93
10-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Celtic and the rangers fans get away with sectarian singing and wrecking stadiums away from home week in week out. **** all gets mentioned about it.

WhileTheChief..
10-03-2019, 11:50 AM
It's absolutely right that Leeann Dempster criticises any unacceptable behaviour from Hibs fans and I've no problem with her apologising to Sinclair and Tavernier.

However I have been disappointed with her silence whenever our fans and players/managers have been subjected to some disgraceful treatment at other stadiums, in particular Tynecastle and Ibrox. She must be aware of it because it's been highlighted many times on here and also on social media but yet we have had no official statements on the website, no quotes in the media and no live radio interviews condemning this behaviour and coming to the defence of our fans and employees who are subjected to such treatment.

I'm a fan of Leeann Dempster, I think she's been hugely positive for us but I am disappointed that she seems to only be interested in condemning the behaviour of Hibs fans who misbehave. I'll repeat once again that I have no issue with that at all as you cannot condone people throwing glass bottles and coming onto the pitch to confront players but we deserve to be defended by the club when we come under attack at opposition grounds and I don't feel that's happened enough so far.

If LD came out condemning fans of other clubs that would simply stoke the fire.

You think Rangers fans would pay a blind bit of notice and pipe down afterwards or are they more likely to react in a worse fashion? See the banner directed at Steve Clarke recently.

Imagine if Budge or Lawell put out a statement condemning Hibs fans! We’d be furious, just as we were after the Rangers cup final nonsense.

Sir David Gray
10-03-2019, 12:08 PM
If LD came out condemning fans of other clubs that would simply stoke the fire.

You think Rangers fans would pay a blind bit of notice and pipe down afterwards or are they more likely to react in a worse fashion? See the banner directed at Steve Clarke recently.

Imagine if Budge or Lawell put out a statement condemning Hibs fans! We’d be furious, just as we were after the Rangers cup final nonsense.

I'm not interested in what the Rangers fans would think of any statement, I'm interested in our fans being defended by the club when we have been subjected to some shocking treatment at certain away games.

It's fine to come out and criticise the bottle incident last week and the guy running onto the side of the pitch on Friday, like I said in my last post it's right that these incidents were condemned but we have had our last two managers routinely subjected to sectarian abuse at Tynecastle and Ibrox, numerous incidents at Ibrox involving objects being thrown into our section, our last manager having a coin thrown at him at Tynecastle, all of which passed without any comment from Leeann Dempster.

I find that disappointing.

Jones28
10-03-2019, 12:12 PM
I'm not interested in what the Rangers fans would think of any statement, I'm interested in our fans being defended by the club when we have been subjected to some shocking treatment at certain away games.

It's fine to come out and criticise the bottle incident last week and the guy running onto the side of the pitch on Friday, like I said in my last post it's right that these incidents were condemned but we have had our last two managers routinely subjected to sectarian abuse at Tynecastle and Ibrox, numerous incidents at Ibrox involving objects being thrown into our section, our last manager having a coin thrown at him at Tynecastle, all of which passed without any comment from Leeann Dempster.

I find that disappointing.

Didn't LD and and Budge issue a joint statement after the last derby?

Sir David Gray
10-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Didn't LD and and Budge issue a joint statement after the last derby?

They did but I'm talking about the lack of any specific criticism of incidents that our fans and managers and players have been on the receiving end of.

Neil Lennon was very public about what he felt was behind the incidents towards himself in particular and there was absolutely nothing from the club to condemn it or coming to Lennon's defence. I felt that was poor.

Jones28
10-03-2019, 12:32 PM
They did but I'm talking about the lack of any specific criticism of incidents that our fans and managers and players have been on the receiving end of.

Neil Lennon was very public about what he felt was behind the incidents towards himself in particular and there was absolutely nothing from the club to condemn it or coming to Lennon's defence. I felt that was poor.

Yeah I agree to an extent, but unless there's absolute concrete evidence that these were motivated by sectarianism over derby rivalry would it be right for the club to comment?

Bishop Hibee
10-03-2019, 01:06 PM
For all of those posters who think “it’s not the time” to point out sectarian singing from the away end, would you say the same if it was homophobic or racist chanting? I’m genuinely looking for your answers.

Sir David Gray
10-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Yeah I agree to an extent, but unless there's absolute concrete evidence that these were motivated by sectarianism over derby rivalry would it be right for the club to comment?

Perhaps but I do think that the manager being hit by a coin should have resulted in a stronger defence of Neil Lennon than what we saw from the club at the time, regardless of what may or may not have motivated the incident in the first place.

We also heard nothing from the club during the many times that we went to Ibrox with Alan Stubbs and Lennon in charge and the pair of them were routinely called a "fenian *******" by thousands of people in the home support. I don't think there can be any doubt as to the motivation behind that.

I can't remember hearing any official word from the club after the last derby at Easter Road when a Hearts fan was shown on social media at the game wearing a t-shirt that said "Hang Neil Lennon". Neither do I recall much being said about the graffiti outside Tynecastle with the same words.

The condemnation appears to be totally one sided from Leeann Dempster and I don't agree with that stance at all. For the avoidance of doubt, in case anyone is just reading this one post and has missed my initial post on this thread, I DO NOT have any problem with her apologising to Scott Sinclair and James Tavernier, nor do I have any issue with the people responsible for these disgraceful incidents being publicly condemned by the club but I think our CEO has a responsibility and a duty of care towards the good people of this club (the majority of fans, the players and managers) to stand up for them when we are on the receiving end of unacceptable behaviour from fans of other clubs.

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Dempster isnt in a million trillion years going to call out the Sevco fans for breaking seats, throwing flares and definitely not for sectarian singing.

These songs run deep in their culture from cradle to grave of every single Sevconian and will never be eradicated.

Its laughable to even suggest it would even remotely cross her mind especially someone as career conscious always on the look out for the next job.

I'm surprised she didn't joi...............never mind.

Aye? … While I agree you are probably right in the bit I have highlighted 'never mind' was the only sensible part in the rest of that load of bollox mate :aok: