PDA

View Full Version : I thought we did quite well

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 11:31 AM
I realise this might not be popular with many, but I thought we did quite well getting a point last night against what, surely, is a pretty decent Rangers team.

As others have said, not great first half but we improved in the second and could even have gone on to win.

I think, overall, the new coach has done quite well so far,

bigwheel
09-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Completely agree...they've been the best team I've seen at ER this season...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
09-03-2019, 11:37 AM
I thought Rangers were excellent. They only scored with an assist off the linesman and we could have had two or three.

CallumLaidlaw
09-03-2019, 11:37 AM
I realise this might not be popular with many, but I thought we did quite well getting a point last night against what, surely, is a pretty decent Rangers team.

As others have said, not great first half but we improved in the second and could even have gone on to win.

Agree 100%. While we were poor in the first half, the manager made changes and we were much improved from then on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Souter96Mac
09-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Same here. We regrouped 2nd half after going down, which was an improvement to last week where the goals finished us and we dropped off.
Whereas Rangers crumbled at the equaliser, we couldve won that game but a point is decent and we can continue to build. We'll have Slivka back next week, and hopefully Gauld will be in the mix too.

JimBHibees
09-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Totally agree came out the ground last night thinking what an excellent point that was and as you say could have been more. First half we were poor looked ponderous and they moved the ball about well though thought in the main we defended pretty well. Agree about the coach you just need to look at the bench to see how light we are at present and he has got 10 out of 12 points thus far also a positive sign he changed the shape and it improved the team. Although we were second best first half we absolutely butchered the chance just before they scored that should have been a goal not as it happens conceding 20 secs later.

wookie70
09-03-2019, 11:53 AM
The first half was just as much about how good The Rangers were as to how poor we were. Early days but Heck has been really impressive so far. Good point from another poster about the set up at East Mains being fully used by this manager and I am looking forward to seeing what he will do with players of his choosing rather than what he inherited. He has got us in a position where we could be looking forward to all the remaining games with something at stake. That was never happening before he arrived.

calumhibee1
09-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Agree 100%. Rangers were excellent first half and were the best team I’ve seen at ER this season first 45. I thought we were pretty good ourselves second half although a bit direct for my liking. It was working though so why not stick with it. Great result all things considered and a great start for PH.

HibeeHibernian4
09-03-2019, 12:02 PM
I think it came off quite well but that isn’t the same thing as playing quite well. Would like to think we might be a bit more adventurous next time they turn up here.

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2019, 12:03 PM
We were dreadful until the formation change, allowing them so much space and time on the ball was criminal and showed me the manager had learnt nothing from the celtic game.

He took way too long to change things, as make no mistake about it, they were guilty of missing very good chances, and that game could and should have been over before we finally changed things.

I agree once he changed it, we were good, although it would be very difficult npt to be after trying our best to hand them the game.

We cant play a 4-4-2 against them or celtic, we cant hand the initiative to those clubs and let them play how they like.

We have to match up in midfield and work our socks off but also give their defenders something to think about other than how they can support their midfield.

So to sum up, yes a fantastic point but a lucky one after that first half performance, and yet we could have won it in the end, but i'm not greedy and would have bitten your hand off for a point at half time.:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 12:05 PM
First half we couldn't live with them. Marciano was excellent and kept us in the match. Big improvement second half, and we actually should have nicked it near the end, which would have been very harsh on The Rangers. A good point in the end.

Fife-Hibee
09-03-2019, 12:07 PM
If we had attacked them down the middle more often, we would have won. Was so frustrating watching us try to out power and out pace them down the wings, when that is clearly their 2 best attributes.

Glory Lurker
09-03-2019, 12:08 PM
I thought our last-ditch defending, added to Ofir being on top form, in first half was brilliant. I was actually getting to the point that I was expecting us to stop anything when Candeas scored, and that only happened because luck put the ball back to him.

Rangers were hyper-intense in the first half but we almost rode it out. There was no way they could keep it up and we were easily their equal from the hour mark.

There was a lot of positives to take from the performance, overall.

B.H.F.C
09-03-2019, 12:09 PM
We should have been burried in the first half.

Second half much better. Once we changed formation and actually showed some intent we created more clear cut chances than them. Horgan, McNulty and Mallan all could, perhaps should, have scored in addition to the goal.

calumhibee1
09-03-2019, 12:09 PM
We were dreadful until the formation change, allowing them so much space and time on the ball was criminal and showed me the manager had learnt nothing from the celtic game.

He took way too long to change things, as make no mistake about it, they were guilty of missing very good chances, and that game could and should have been over before we finally changed things.

I agree once he changed it, we were good, although it would be very difficult npt to be after trying our best to hand them the game.

We cant play a 4-4-2 against them or celtic, we cant hand the initiative to those clubs and let them play how they like.

We have to match up in midfield and work our socks off but also give their defenders something to think about other than how they can support their midfield.

So to sum up, yes a fantastic point but a lucky one after that first half performance, and yet we could have won it in the end, but i'm not greedy and would have bitten your hand off for a point at half time.:greengrin

Or an unlucky point if you look at the second half in isolation rather than the first in isolation.

I thought we done well to cope with the best 45 mins I’ve seen at ER this season against a Rangers team who have been blowing teams away recently. Kept ourselves in the game and when they’re level inevitably dropped we took advantage and could/should have won it second half.

mcfly
09-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Completely agree...they've been the best team I've seen at ER this season...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would agree first half they were good.

Second half we really got at them. Marciano kept us in it first half but mcgregor saved them second half.

We could have won it. I thought McNulty was great second half. Never gave there centre backs any peace.

A good point was gained. And they still cannae beat us 😃😃

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Other than their equally unpleasant sisters Celtc, everyone else in the SPL would take a point at home against The Rangers.

I_Love_Latapy
09-03-2019, 12:23 PM
The first half was just as much about how good The Rangers were as to how poor we were. Early days but Heck has been really impressive so far. Good point from another poster about the set up at East Mains being fully used by this manager and I am looking forward to seeing what he will do with players of his choosing rather than what he inherited. He has got us in a position where we could be looking forward to all the remaining games with something at stake. That was never happening before he arrived.

This.

Game was tactically fascinating. Rangers' problem first half was that they failed to convert possession and quality passing into chances, and the two banks of four was one reason why. Switch to 5 in midfield then changed the game with basically same players on the pitch on both sides.

Quote from Heck "We had to change things otherwise it would have been two or three. Credit to the players, we threw a shape at them we have not been working on". What he didn't realise is that players would have been quite used to that from the previous regime.

lyonhibs
09-03-2019, 01:47 PM
I was happy enough with a point and it was nice to come from behind against those ****s.

Ryan Kent is a great wee player.

MurrayfieldHibs
09-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Please, please, please can we get the team to practise throw ins next????
:agree:

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Please, please, please can we get the team to practise throw ins next????
:agree:

Woa!

Calm doon, you'll be wantin the moon next!

:wink:

Lago
09-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Totally agree.

MurrayfieldHibs
09-03-2019, 03:44 PM
Woa!

Calm doon, you'll be wantin the moon next!

:wink:

perhaps we could start with a less ambitious KPI “keep the ball for 2 seconds after a throw in”?:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
09-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Agree 100%. Rangers were excellent first half and were the best team I’ve seen at ER this season first 45. I thought we were pretty good ourselves second half although a bit direct for my liking. It was working though so why not stick with it. Great result all things considered and a great start for PH.

We made them look better than they are in the first half and made them look quite ordinary in the 2nd. If anyone deserved the win it was them but I can't remember how many times it's been the other way round so it makes the point gained even sweeter.

Famous Fiver
09-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Based on the fact that they recruit on a completely different level to us, had by far the more expensive players, a glamour name manager, a very expensive bench and a referee who surely got a lift home on the Rangers bus we did very well to take a point.

However, having said all that they had Andy Halliday!!!!! I will never tire of the Still Game version of his song.

calumhibee1
09-03-2019, 04:46 PM
We made them look better than they are in the first half and made them look quite ordinary in the 2nd. If anyone deserved the win it was them but I can't remember how many times it's been the other way round so it makes the point gained even sweeter.

They’re a good side. From their starting 11 last night I reckon at least 8 of them would have started for us last night with the two centre half’s and Arfield being debatable on top of thaf. They’ve also been absolutely blowing teams away recently so while we maybe did make them look a bit better than they are I think it’s taking away from the fact that they just played really well.

Imo we done well to stay in the game and when they inevitably ran out of steam we took advantage.

green with envy
09-03-2019, 08:02 PM

I would hope it would be popular with the majority if truth be told. I'm really struggling with negativity from a lot of our fans after last night's game.

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 08:11 PM
I would hope it would be popular with the majority if truth be told. I'm really struggling with negativity from a lot of our fans after last night's game.

TBH, I'm pleasantly surprised at the replies on this thread.

There does seem to be an awful lot of moaners about just now and I just wanted to give a more reasoned point of view. It's nice to read that other people share the same view.

I'm genuinely feeling positive about our current Head Coach and feel it's going to go well.

B.H.F.C
09-03-2019, 08:28 PM
I'm genuinely feeling positive about our current Head Coach and feel it's going to go well.

Despite a pretty positive start, a lot of people haven’t really talent to him for whatever reason. I heard a conversation along those lines at HT last night. The Celtic game didn’t help his cause and I thought it was going the same way last night so I’m glad he turned it round second half.

His personality is the complete opposite to the guy he replaced. I think folk are that used to seeing someone who is very outspoken, vocal etc and kind of expect the same from Heckingbottom.

I hope the way we approached the second half last night is the way he approaches future games against the better sides.

Radium
09-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Sat in silence at half time. Goal was a bit of a farce but it was the only one. Team looked well drilled but we hadn’t put a glove on them. Was half expecting a substitute.

Second half started and noticed Flo on the left. Doing better but was thinking that Oli would be better out wide.

Mcnulty seemed to be finding space and then Mallan hit a shot that was parried, not caught, and we had a corner. From that point I sensed us growing and them starting to shout at each other.

Then Flo scores and reinforces how little I know about football. Was convinced we were getting the winner from a corner.

Horgan and Mallan added too much drama and we had a point. Smiles all the way home and the realisation that guts in one half and a plan b in the second means that we might make something out of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
10-03-2019, 09:43 AM
His personality is the complete opposite to the guy he replaced. I think folk are that used to seeing someone who is very outspoken, vocal etc and kind of expect the same from Heckingbottom.

It may take a while but hopefully people will begin to realise that Heckinbottom can also be a “winner” without having to lose the plot all the time.

OGS is the best current example of this. There seems to be a train of thought that if you’re not outwardly passionate/aggressive that you’re not a winner which is absolutely ridiculous.

Keith_M
10-03-2019, 10:08 AM
It may take a while but hopefully people will begin to realise that Heckinbottom can also be a “winner” without having to lose the plot all the time.

OGS is the best current example of this. There seems to be a train of thought that if you’re not outwardly passionate/aggressive that you’re not a winner which is absolutely ridiculous.

Very true.