PDA

View Full Version : Why has there been such an upsurge in football hooliganism this season?

G B Young
09-03-2019, 08:47 AM
In the last week alone we've seen bottle throwing and a fan confronting a player at ER, coin throwing at Firhill and seats being thrown between rival fans at Pittodrie.

Prior to that there have been numerous incidents of unacceptable behaviour from fans throughout the season.

Rather than the organised violence we used to see from casuals this seems to be more selective, perpetuated by a few morons, but what has sparked such a noticeable increase this season?

And why is it only football that attracts such d***heads?

Glory Lurker
09-03-2019, 09:02 AM
The repeal of OBFA has an awful lot to do with it, imho. It empowered the unacceptable elements of the OF and the sense of entitlement they got has permeated the ned element across the game. I am not making a comment on the OBFA legislation in saying this, btw.

I don’t think the popularity of cocaine is helping, either.

hibIBZ
09-03-2019, 09:09 AM
For me it's a social problem that has manifested it's self through various issues in society. You only have to look at knife crime in England to see something is seriously wrong with the youth of Britain at the moment. Years of austerity and cut backs have removed vital services in our communities that has led to this problem. Cut backs in youth workers, youth club's, outreach projects, learning assistants, educational psychologists, have all had a bearing on what is happening right now. A polarized community through political beliefs is also having a huge effect. Two massive referendums on the future of the UK in a short space of time has created splits in our society and huge uncertainty. Hooliganism in the 80s came when the population wasn't happy and searching for an identity and the same is happening again, it is just coming out at the football when people are drinking too much and drugs are often involved, causing their anger and stress to boil over and come out in these crazy acts.

Carheenlea
09-03-2019, 09:12 AM
Cheap cocaine and alcohol.

Captain Trips
09-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Bottle throwing I class as hooliganism throwing seats about the same. I'm not quite sure what that guy was upto last night. It appeared he was trying to kick the ball away more than anything.

It is completely unacceptable but not as bad IMO as throwing things at people. He was on something that's for sure.

K.Marx
09-03-2019, 09:15 AM
For me it's a social problem that has manifested it's self through various issues in society. You only have to look at knife crime in England to see something is seriously wrong with the youth of Britain at the moment. Years of austerity and cut backs have removed vital services in our communities that has led to this problem. Cut backs in youth workers, youth club's, outreach projects, learning assistants, educational psychologists, have all had a bearing on what is happening right now. A polarized community through political beliefs is also having a huge effect. Two massive referendums on the future of the UK in a short space of time has created splits in our society and huge uncertainty. Hooliganism in the 80s came when the population wasn't happy and searching for an identity and the same is happening again, it is just coming out at the football when people are drinking too much and drugs are often involved, causing their anger and stress to boil over and come out in these crazy acts.

Nail on head

Golden Bear
09-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Policing from a distance rather that the "lets get in and sort it out" approach from a bygone era. And if I remember correctly, at the big games there were also groups of policemen strategically place on the terracing which was a deterrent factor in itself.

wookie70
09-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Policing from a distance rather that the "lets get in and sort it out" approach from a bygone era. And if I remember correctly, at the big games there were also groups of policemen strategically place on the terracing which was a deterrent factor in itself.

I agree with lots of the points made but this is the main reason for me. My daughter was hit with a smoke bomb at Tiny. Both sets of fans were throwing coins etc, fans came over to the pitch side and it was fairly easy to see the culprits. The Police stood and watched as it escalated. If they had went and arrested the obvious offenders it would have given others pause for thought.

I challenged an ******** at an away game for throwing a smoke bomb or the likes right into the middle of the away fans. All I got back was that I was a grass and there was little support around me to challenge the offender. Pretty much every away game I see fans with cans or bottles inside the ground. If I can see all these things how can't the Police or Stewards. It is blindingly obvious that the small section at the bottom of the east where the bottle came from against Celtic is the only part of ER that you are likely to get bother. Don't sell a couple of seats and have a Police Officer sit in there. The actions of these ********s is costing our clubs its reputation and we have to do anything we can to stop it. When I read the forums and Facebook though there seems to be large numbers of fans giving it whataboutery and also downplaying the actions of our fans. I couldn't give a flying what other fans do, the behaviour of ours is getting worse and needs addressed. There doesn't seem to be an appetite to do it in the ground from fans so the Police and Stewards need to do their job.

MWHIBBIES
09-03-2019, 09:54 AM
It's actually ridiculous how common cocaine is becoming, I imagine it's playing a big part.

CRAZYHIBBY
09-03-2019, 09:57 AM
A wee fanny running on the pitch then bottling it is hardly an upsurge in hooliganism

green with envy
09-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Saturday night KO against celtic, Friday night KO against rangers give's the bams more time to get tanked up.

If both those games had been early afternoon KO's, i'm pretty sure both incidents wouldn't have happened.

theonlywayisup
09-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Single word - hatred.

I've seen it in many occasions in the past, but on many occasions people don't cross that line and it's mostly verbal. However this season it's been more physical actions.

I do wonder whether Social Media has a big part to play in it - the solidifying of that hatred. But am struggling to explain that in words so not going to bother.

HibeeHibernian4
09-03-2019, 10:27 AM
The repeal of OBFA has an awful lot to do with it, imho. It empowered the unacceptable elements of the OF and the sense of entitlement they got has permeated the ned element across the game. I am not making a comment on the OBFA legislation in saying this, btw.

Disagree strongly with your first paragraph but agree even more strongly with your second one. The stuff made the last derby at Tynecastle notably worse as an atmosphere, coked up daft laddies on the edges of both our stand and the stands nearest to us.

Smartie
09-03-2019, 10:28 AM
A wee fanny running on the pitch then bottling it is hardly an upsurge in hooliganism

It was a fan going onto the pitch and confronting a player though. It doesn't happen often so it is big news when it does and whichever way you look at it it is totally unacceptable.

Against the backdrop of the eventful game at Tynecastle a couple of months ago, a bottle being chucked at the Celtic game last week and LD making a public statement on behalf of the club last week it was another significant event.

I think there is a bit of truth in all of the posts made above and it is the combination of all of them that are leading to this.

A far as I'm concerned though they don't happen at 12:30 or 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. It's the extra bevvy and Ching time for dafties who are going into poorly policed grounds that is mainly causing it.

And the media are lapping it up, managing to fill up column inches and broadcasting minutes with outrage.

bordergreen
09-03-2019, 10:31 AM

:agree:

Ozyhibby
09-03-2019, 10:33 AM

LOL. The youth of today are far better behaved than previous generations.
There is nothing more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
09-03-2019, 10:34 AM

:top marks

One drunk ned goes on the pitch and it’s down to years of austerity??

Bollox and typical blame culture - it’s no my fault, I get paid crap, there’s no youth centre for me blah blah blah.

I agree with LD on this one, it’s down to personal responsibility and sod all to do with any problems in society.

BegbieHSC
09-03-2019, 10:38 AM

The OBFA is one of the worst pieces of legislation to come from Holyrood.

I do however think it was a well-meaning, as opposed to a malicious, anti all-football-fan bill as some say. I’m glad it’s gone, however the message immediately repealing it instead of replacing it has sent out has not been a positive one, and has well and truly emboldened the coked up morons in our support, and across Scotland.

Wheat Hound
09-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Bollox and typical blame culture - it’s no my fault, I get paid crap, there’s no youth centre for me blah blah blah.

I agree with LD on this one, it’s down to personal responsibility and sod all to do with any problems in society.

100% spot on

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Not excusing the behaviour - but out of interest how many issues have been at late kickoff times?
Is there a correlation?
And if so then perhaps this is something the clubs, TV and authorities need to take a look is there’s been more incidents since this introduction.

Put another way the police appear to be against late kickoffs - would a Celtic Rangers game or cup final be held at a later time? If so why and why should same rules not apply?

HibeeHibernian4
09-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Not excusing the behaviour - but out of interest how many issues have been at late kickoff times?

Give or take all of them. TV rules supreme even though there is a clear correlation.

Captain Trips
09-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Is there a correlation?
And if so then perhaps this is something the clubs, TV and authorities need to take a look is there’s been more incidents since this introduction.

Put another way the police appear to be against late kickoffs - would a Celtic Rangers game or cup final be held at a later time? If so why and why should same rules not apply?

TBH way to much has changed in society due to the actions of a tiny minority I like these night games. Folk can't handle a drink a major factor in minimum pricing.

Getting very pissed off with law changes due to imbicile behavior.

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 10:55 AM
I think it's becoming more 'fashionable' again.

It's not just Scotland.

hibbydog
09-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Yes one guy running into the pitch doesn’t mean an upsurge in hooliganism, but the OP has shown several examples from this season to prove it’s a pattern, not an isolated incident.

It’s probably happening for awhole mixture of reasons.

Smartie
09-03-2019, 10:59 AM
TBH way to much has changed in society due to the actions of a tiny minority I like these night games. Folk can't handle a drink a major factor in minimum pricing.

Getting very pissed off with law changes due to imbicile behavior.

Me too.

I like the charged atmospheres and I think it makes our game a better spectacle.

If only we could just stop some people from venturing way over the line of what can be classified as acceptable behaviour.

The problem is though, there really is a direct correlation and that normally leads to directives that affect us all.

It is much easier for the police to ban evening matches than to go back to policing them properly.

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Aw come on, that's just making excuses.

If you're son or daughter was the latest victim of knife crime, would you be saying, "aw the wee lamb, he only murdered my kid cos he was bored and nobody cares about him. Don't lock him up, build him a youth centre".

HibeeHibernian4
09-03-2019, 11:04 AM

If you're son or daughter was the latest victim of knife crime, would you be saying, "aw the wee lamb, he only murdered my kid cos he was bored and nobody cares about him. Don't lock him up, build him a youth centre".

Yeah...that’s not what he was saying though, was it?

Jones28
09-03-2019, 11:04 AM
I agree with lots of the points made but this is the main reason for me. My daughter was hit with a smoke bomb at Tiny. Both sets of fans were throwing coins etc, fans came over to the pitch side and it was fairly easy to see the culprits. The Police stood and watched as it escalated. If they had went and arrested the obvious offenders it would have given others pause for thought.

I challenged an ******** at an away game for throwing a smoke bomb or the likes right into the middle of the away fans. All I got back was that I was a grass and there was little support around me to challenge the offender. Pretty much every away game I see fans with cans or bottles inside the ground. If I can see all these things how can't the Police or Stewards. It is blindingly obvious that the small section at the bottom of the east where the bottle came from against Celtic is the only part of ER that you are likely to get bother. Don't sell a couple of seats and have a Police Officer sit in there. The actions of these ********s is costing our clubs its reputation and we have to do anything we can to stop it. When I read the forums and Facebook though there seems to be large numbers of fans giving it whataboutery and also downplaying the actions of our fans. I couldn't give a flying what other fans do, the behaviour of ours is getting worse and needs addressed. There doesn't seem to be an appetite to do it in the ground from fans so the Police and Stewards need to do their job.

I admire your attitude Wookie, much braver than me.

silverhibee
09-03-2019, 11:05 AM
I think it's becoming more 'fashionable' again.

It's not just Scotland.

There has been more incidents down south this week than up here in Scotland, don't hear the PM getting involved, in fact the media have played down the incidents that have taken place at games down in England and focuses on what has happened here in big bad Scotland.

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Yeah...that’s not what he was saying though, was it?

Actually, that's how it read to me.

Making excuses for thugs killing other kids by blaming society, lack of government investment and, just lately, the lack of police on the streets. I'm totally sick of reading that.

How about people take responsibility for their own actions?

hibIBZ
09-03-2019, 11:14 AM

That's not what I am saying. This country is missing the opportunity for early intervention through its brutal cut backs. By the time that person does commit a crime, they have already been missed. I am not saying the law and punishment for commuting crime shouldn't happen, but that 15-20 year old that does something like this is already on that path and more needs to be done to get them on the right track. For me this is just the start and it goes a lot further than football imo. One idiot jumping on the pitch last night is a minor incident, but is part of several so far this season involving various supports and will continue unless more is done

hibbyfraelibby
09-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Stupid o'clock kick off times allowing inadequates who cannot pass up the opportunity to swallow too much falling down juice, or nasally injest white powder before going to a football match not to mention the millenials with no respect for authority.

HibeeHibernian4
09-03-2019, 11:59 AM

Making excuses for thugs killing other kids by blaming society, lack of government investment and, just lately, the lack of police on the streets. I'm totally sick of reading that.

Because that isn’t how a society works.

To go back to your hypothetical, if that (god forbid) happened to one of my children, while I would be unspeakably angry at their killer and wish them unimaginable pain, another part of me would also despair at a society that fostered the conditions for a ****bag to thrive, when they should’ve had the opportunities to make something of their life instead.

Captain Trips
09-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Too much emphasis on looking at aspects to blame bad behavior on these days. OTT looking into why folk have done stuff and how various aspects of the world are the cause.

There are and will be a lot of fannies out there always has been always will be.

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 12:26 PM
We should emphsise that the amount of trouble inside stadia is nothing like it was in era of terracing. There are far more women and families at matches now, which is a big positive. There has been a number of high profile incidents this season, which could be coincidence or perhaps a signifier of a deeper problem. Only time will tell on that. There is more of a risk of problems at night games, simply because of drinking, and of course some clubs (Old Firm) have deeper problems than others. We have our crazy element, no question, and we need the type of behaviour we've seen over the past couple of games stamped out.

09-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Saturday night KO against celtic, Friday night KO against rangers give's the bams more time to get tanked up.

If both those games had been early afternoon KO's, i'm pretty sure both incidents wouldn't have happened.

And that's exactly what the Cops, and likely Leanne and the Board, will be pushing for now. I look forward to all those who downplay any of these incidents then subsequently moaning about 12:30 KOs on Saturday or Sundays! We need to nip this in the bud now with our own support and let the other Clubs get their own house in order too. Celtic and The Rangers obviously need to properly address the massive bigoted element in both their supports too - which could easily take another generation to properly fix, given how embedded it is in the West of Scotland. Sad times.

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Because that isn’t how a society works.

To go back to your hypothetical, if that (god forbid) happened to one of my children, while I would be unspeakably angry at their killer and wish them unimaginable pain, another part of me would also despair at a society that fostered the conditions for a ****bag to thrive, when they should’ve had the opportunities to make something of their life instead.

Millions of people have limited opportunities, but very few of them go round stabbing people.

Making society fairer is a great aim but people are responsible for their own actions.

Society did not make that wee pr1ck run onto the pitch last night.

gaz1875
09-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Simple solution, seats are for sitting, that's one of the reason all seated stadiums were brought in. If everone is sitting down and someone throws something there is a good chance they stand up first, easier spotted. If someone decides to run on to the pitch like that idiot yesterday he would possibly have been spotted quicker. There is no need to stand at all seated stadiums and it should be enforced.

G B Young
09-03-2019, 01:27 PM

I'd be quite surprised if frustration at austerity was what fuelled the guy's decision to on the pitch last night, or whether political/societal issues were the driving factor behind any of the incidents this season. Football hooliganism is something that's been with us for many decades, not just since the 80s and has existed throughout the tenures of many different governments and periods of perceived affluence and austerity. The abolition of drinking inside the grounds was a massive help in reducing it and all-seated stadia have unquestionably diluted it further. But it seems to me that football simply attracts a much bigger share of bampots than other sports. There remains a mentality among a good percentage of fans that aggro and tribalism simply go with the territory because 'it's fitba' and that those who condemn the inability of supporters to conduct themselves in a civilised manner should simply 'man up.' It's a pathetic get-out excuse. Bottom line, football is a magnet for young, and not so young blokes who like to cause bother.

We will see many thousands of Welsh rugby fans in Scotland this weekend yet I'll be surprised if there is even a hint of bother. Rugby has historically been the people's sport in Wales, much more so than football, yet it doesn't seem to attract hooliganism. Fans of rival clubs and nations can drink together and even sit together at matches while still giving passionate support to their team. I'd like to see how likely some of the 'hard men' among football fans would be to misbehave if segregation was scrapped.

Johnny Clash
09-03-2019, 01:37 PM
There’s a lot of hype in the build up to these big games. Hibs tv even described it as a ‘grudge game’ when interviewing Hecky mid week!!

So hype it up, set the kick off time to 7.30 on a Friday night,, have the cops hide around the corner and then freak out when an immature idiot thinks it’s smart to jump trackside and boot the ball away.

Sadly some wee pricks can’t handle the drink and will act up to impress their silly wee mates. It’s their 15 mins of fame. Something to brag about. So LD needs to understand you cannot rationalise with wee zoomers like that. You got to make it harder for them. It boils down to only one section of East needs sorting. I’m pretty sure the bammers were the reason the singing section wanted to relocate coz they were getting falsely accused of being involved in the acts of daftness. So get some decent paid security dudes in there and sling a net up in corner to stop missiles.

heid the baw
09-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Singing dubious songs has always been around at football. Most people mature and grow out of it. That's true of group hooliganism too. For some people it provides an adrenalin buzz and the image can be seductive for young males.
What we have seen in the last few fixtures is, as someone earlier pointed out very succinctly, the actions of wee fannies.
I can understand the first two, but because I am not a wee fanny, I struggle to understand lobbing a buckfast bottle or squaring up to a fit professional athlete when you are a skinny, drug addled half wit who couldnae fight sleep.
What we are dealing with is drinking on an empty heid. Lifetime ban, home and away would be my answer.

Pretty Boy
09-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Incidents of folk behaving badly aren't new. It's gone on for decades regardless of how often people pretend otherwise. They didn't introduce segregation, put up fences and ban alcohol before most of the young team were even born for nothing. The 'in my day we all sang kumbaya together and shared a glass of milk' brigade need to get real.

It's something of a self perpetuating cycle. Someone does something daft and becomes a social media 'hit' overnight. There's a lot of hand wringing, the incident gets loads of coverage and some other daftie gets really angry and loses the plot at a future game. It's probably fuelled by cheap drink, cheap drugs and, in some cases, too few brain cells. Same as it always was. There's just nowhere to hide now.

I'd argue behaviour has improved a lot and to such an extent that incidents like throwing a bottle on the park stand out like a sore thumb now. Football is attended by loads of family groups now and some would argue in certain leagues it's gone too far 'the other way'. Would a few folk shouting at each other in a bar have attracted a second glance in the late 80s?

hibsdaft
09-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Got no time for this pish but honestly feel some of it is being hyped up a bit. The bottle apart.

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Got no time for this pish but honestly feel some of it is being hyped up a bit. The bottle apart.

It's not exactly 70s/80s level of hooliganism.

I've seen a lot of posturing at games, and the occasional incident like this, but we haven't yet seen the mass brawls of earlier eras.

Brizo
09-03-2019, 05:02 PM

I'm inclined to think football violence comes in cycles and as others have said playing up at the football has become fashionable again. Cocaine has literally helped fuel this return to idiots having no regard for the consequences of their actions and thinking they can get away with it.

Unfortunately too often they do, precisely because of what the above poster calls "policing from distance". This seems to fall into a policy of retrospective policing by CCTV. The trouble makers will take their chances knowing that they may or may not be lifted 6 weeks or 6 months down the line.

GB, your quite right, back in the day the police would wade into the crowd to lift trouble makers and also form a human barrier to stop rival fans fighting.

While we are nowhere near a return to the 70s or 80s, to deal with the current problems the policy of devolving stadium security to stewards needs to be reversed, at least short term. As you say we need police trackside and also patrolling the stands gangways. It wont necessarily prevent someone coked / bevvyed of their heads throwing something but the police will be a far more tangible visible deterrent than minimum wage , minimum trained stewards.

My understandings clubs pay for stadium policing ? If that's the case I wonder cynically how many clubs will put fan and player safety ahead of increased policing costs. I also wonder whether we have sufficient police in post to provide 80s/ 90s stadium policing levels. But for me police policing the grounds is the only way to end this upswing in incidents.

Captain Trips
09-03-2019, 05:02 PM

It is a load of pish. Hyped beyond belief some need to look around Europe to see what goes in.

Out of interest does anyone know the state of play regarding our seats in away end. Much damage?

Fife-Hibee
09-03-2019, 05:04 PM
An "upsurge", really?

It's been a handful of idiots combined with the usual nonsense from the west.

Here’s Lucy!
09-03-2019, 06:10 PM
Cheap cocaine and alcohol.

Sounds good to me. :na na:

Seriously, things are heading in a downhill spiral and need to be stopped as soon as possible.

HAZ2000
09-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Coke

RIP
10-03-2019, 11:25 PM
There’s a lot of hype in the build up to these big games.

Agree. There has always been needle between the Huns and Hibs which got worse after the cup final.

Sadly some wee pricks can’t handle the drink and will act up to impress their silly wee mates. It boils down to only one section of East needs sorting. I’m pretty sure the bammers were the reason the singing section wanted to relocate coz they were getting falsely accused of being involved in the acts of daftness. .

Less the drink more the coke. These junkies buy walk ups in the singing section which contains 1500 standing fans in big games.

Sect43/Since 1875 had their issues down the front 2 seasons back when a group jumped over the same wall to celebrate a goal with the Hibs players.

So when they moved to the North the management shoved them up in the corner out of harms way.

The East singing section aren’t the problem. It’s the drugged and drunk walk ups causing problems. The answer is a higher wall and fan engagement.

Phil MaGlass
11-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Could it maybe partially be the inability of the SFA/SPFL/Government and clubs lack of action on bigotry that is helping fuel these incidents, the in action when lennon was targetted on may occasions, Steve Clarke....(could be here all day) fans/idiots think they can now get away with anything.

Ozyhibby
11-03-2019, 08:02 AM
Could it maybe partially be the inability of the SFA/SPFL/Government and clubs lack of action on bigotry that is helping fuel these incidents, the in action when lennon was targetted on may occasions, Steve Clarke....(could be here all day) fans/idiots think they can now get away with anything.

That’s is exactly right. Until they get serious about the sectarianism I don’t see the point in listening to anything the SFA says.

SChibs
11-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Simple solution, seats are for sitting, that's one of the reason all seated stadiums were brought in. If everone is sitting down and someone throws something there is a good chance they stand up first, easier spotted. If someone decides to run on to the pitch like that idiot yesterday he would possibly have been spotted quicker. There is no need to stand at all seated stadiums and it should be enforced.

No thanks, I hate sitting at the football and my current seat at Easter Road allows me to stand.

bigwheel
11-03-2019, 08:11 AM

I don’t think there is much, if any, connection between hearing sectarian songs and attacking players...

We seem to have a number of ********s in our support just now ..we need to face into it..rather than associate it with actions elsewhere

Ozyhibby
11-03-2019, 08:44 AM
I don’t think there is much, if any, connection between hearing sectarian songs and attacking players...

We seem to have a number of ********s in our support just now ..we need to face into it..rather than associate it with actions elsewhere

Might be just a coincidence that these incidents occur on occasions when the stadium is filled with sectarian singing.

BILLYHIBS
11-03-2019, 08:53 AM
I am convinced I saw a post on here yesterday where a poster complained that a disabled family member a ST holder was beaten up in his seat by a drunk HIBS supporter who wrongly thought he was sitting in his seat

Did anyone else see this post?

If true we have sunk to an all time low

bigwheel
11-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Might be just a coincidence that these incidents occur on occasions when the stadium is filled with sectarian singing.

That’s been there for years without those things happening ...

Antifa Hibs
11-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Incidents so far:

-1 Hun throws coin at lines-man
-1 Hearts fan throws coin at Lenny, another throws 1 at the lino, another lobs a vodka bottle into the Hibs end
-1 Hibs fan slaps the Hertz goalie
-1 Hearts fan throws bottle at bus and hits old lady
-1 Celtic fan throws coin at Boydy
-1 Hibs fan launches bottle at Sinclair
-1 Rangers fan launches seat at Aberdeen fans
-1 Hibs fan enters of field of play and approaches Tav

At worst you're talking around 10 incidents involving a handful of ********s. Would be good for the sensationalist BS to stop and for people to tell it how it is. Its ******** behavior that we could do without but we're hardly at a crisis point. Social media plays a part IMO. I have no interest at all in English fitba but from twitter i know there was bother at the Sheffield Derby, Accrington Stanley match and the Birmingham incident yesterday - 5 years ago if these incidents happened i would be none the wiser.

The Modfather
11-03-2019, 09:44 AM
Incidents so far:

-1 Hearts fan throws coin at Lenny, another throws 1 at the lino, another lobs a vodka bottle into the Hibs end

At worst you're talking around 10 incidents involving a handful of ********s. Would be good for the sensationalist BS to stop and for people to tell it how it is. Its ******** behavior that we could do without but we're hardly at a crisis point. Social media plays a part IMO. I have no interest at all in English fitba but from twitter i know there was bother at the Sheffield Derby, Accrington Stanley match and the Birmingham incident yesterday - 5 years ago if these incidents happened i would be none the wiser.

That’s just the known and widely reported incidents. Off the top of my head I saw a guy hit the linesman with a lighter at the end of the last derby and at least a couple of Coke (the suguary drink variety) thrown onto the pitch from the East Stand in the Rangers game.

Scorrie
11-03-2019, 09:53 AM

Spot on for me. Also add on the impact of drugs particularly coke. Social media to an extent as well as some folk now think it ok to post the most horrible and aggressive messages on line and then take it into thier real lives.

Diclonius
11-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Long term effects of an economic recession, rising anger at the government and increasing prevalence of the far right. People are just more angry and need an outlet.

If you think it's bad now, wait another 10-20 years when the "gig economy" is in full flow and permanent contracts don't exist for anyone without a masters degree.

Besties Debut
11-03-2019, 10:14 AM
Long term effects of an economic recession, rising anger at the government and increasing prevalence of the far right. People are just more angry and need an outlet.

If you think it's bad now, wait another 10-20 years when the "gig economy" is in full flow and permanent contracts don't exist for anyone without a masters degree. And the most powerful man in the world displaying racist tendencies and an attitude towards women that most of us left in the playground

Spike Mandela
11-03-2019, 10:29 AM
In the last week alone we've seen bottle throwing and a fan confronting a player at ER, coin throwing at Firhill and seats being thrown between rival fans at Pittodrie.

Prior to that there have been numerous incidents of unacceptable behaviour from fans throughout the season.

Rather than the organised violence we used to see from casuals this seems to be more selective, perpetuated by a few morons, but what has sparked such a noticeable increase this season?

There hasn’t been an upsurge in hooliganism despite the media trying to persuade us there is. There have been incidents like this throughout Scottish football year in year out as long as I have watched it (43years).

Idiots have thrown things at the pitch as far back as I can remember but, for the life of me, I have absolutely no idea why.

I can think of many high profile games over the years where stupid or drunken fans have entered the field of play but I am sure if you googled it every single year there would have been numerous incidents like this.

Obviously when any incidents like this happen in a game involving Rangers or Celtic the media attention goes into full hysteria. The 21 year old idiot wil get charged, prosecuted and banned but if you believed the press right now players need flak jackets like they are going into Iraq or something.

Imo the real reason for the Scottish(Glasgow) media to go full tilt on this at the moment is to deflect from the real scourge of Scottish football namely sectarianism and weak governance. For once the media heat appeared to be rising on the issue of sectarianism just recently but this couple of incidents have came along at a convenient time to allow it to be put that on simmer again in the background.

In all the hand wringing about Friday’s game has the sectarian songbook that was in full voice even get mentioned by anyone in authority? No, because the governing bodies are weak, full of vested interests and only capable of applying rules and regulations when it involves teams like Clyde.

BILLYHIBS
11-03-2019, 10:39 AM
I am convinced I saw a post on here yesterday where a poster complained that a disabled family member a ST holder was beaten up in his seat by a drunk HIBS supporter who wrongly thought he was sitting in his seat

Found it!

4 arrests during the game thread #31

Made my blood boil

Surely it cannot be too difficult to weed out and find this low life coward

An absolute disgrace turning on your own defenceless fans

He should be identified hit with a two year sentence and a lifetime ban

Totally unacceptable despicable behaviour

H18 SFR
11-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Cheap and easily accessible Class A's, Charly is behind this, I'm convinced.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-03-2019, 11:02 AM
And the most powerful man in the world displaying racist tendencies and an attitude towards women that most of us left in the playground

I doubt Donald being a fud has any impact on fans behaviour at football matches.

where'stheslope
11-03-2019, 11:03 AM
So, having read this thread in full, the changes required to stop these action are:
Every person must have a season ticket.
All season ticket holders must be over 30 years of age.
The club must have the right to stop and check for drink or drug abuse at the gates of the stadium.
And a seat-belt must be worn at all times during the game once seated.
I still think there would be an idiot to get past all this, but with everyone was seated you would see the individual as soon as he stood up.

Killiehibbie
11-03-2019, 11:18 AM
So, having read this thread in full, the changes required to stop these action are:
Every person must have a season ticket.
All season ticket holders must be over 30 years of age.
The club must have the right to stop and check for drink or drug abuse at the gates of the stadium.
And a seat-belt must be worn at all times during the game once seated.
I still think there would be an idiot to get past all this, but with everyone was seated you would see the individual as soon as he stood up.
Allow under 30's to attend as long as they bring their mum to look after them.

Ozyhibby
11-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Cheap and easily accessible Class A's, Charly is behind this, I'm convinced.

There is no evidence to support this. Violence at football has always been there and is no worse now than previously. It was a lot worse in the 80’s than now.
Looking for an easy answer. Far more likely that alcohol was involved than class A drugs.

Smartie
11-03-2019, 11:53 AM
I doubt Donald being a fud has any impact on fans behaviour at football matches.

Not directly, but I think there's something in it.

He's the leader of the free world and should be leading by example. His example is a disgrace.

The type of opinion, behaviour and moral standard that he represents has everything to do with what is going on. Instead of taking responsibility for your own actions and accepting the repercussions of those, he (and others) represent dishonesty and a total lack of accountability.

We can argue all day about the wider reasons for what happened but in every individual case 99% of the responsibility lies with the individual who carried each act out.

Why should anyone take any responsibility for anything, when our elected leaders and the most powerful people in the world cannot, will not and do not?

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Not directly, but I think there's something in it.

He's the leader of the free world and should be leading by example. His example is a disgrace.

The type of opinion, behaviour and moral standard that he represents has everything to do with what is going on. Instead of taking responsibility for your own actions and accepting the repercussions of those, he (and others) represent dishonesty and a total lack of accountability.

We can argue all day about the wider reasons for what happened but in every individual case 99% of the responsibility lies with the individual who carried each act out.

Why should anyone take any responsibility for anything, when our elected leaders and the most powerful people in the world cannot, will not and do not?

Whoever the American President has been has never had the remotest influence on my behaviour, good or otherwise.

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2019, 12:05 PM

Gentrification of football grounds...complete.

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2019, 12:12 PM
There is no evidence to support this. Violence at football has always been there and is no worse now than previously. It was a lot worse in the 80’s than now.
Looking for an easy answer. Far more likely that alcohol was involved than class A drugs.

There is a noticeable rise in people using class A drugs at big Hibs games, and in turn there is a noticeable rise in violence/disorder at said big Hibs games. Is it a correlation? Not necessarily, but it's an easy step to make.

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2019, 12:24 PM

There’s more to it than that thiough. Personal responsibly is hugely important but people do not live in a bubble. Look at knife crime in Scotland. It was a huge problem. A change of approach led to a big fall and politicians looking to use the same policies down south. No one on here doesn’t think these radges deserve to face the full force of the law but prevention is better than cure.

Ozyhibby
11-03-2019, 12:35 PM
There is a noticeable rise in people using class A drugs at big Hibs games, and in turn there is a noticeable rise in violence/disorder at said big Hibs games. Is it a correlation? Not necessarily, but it's an easy step to make.

Any evidence to support that?

G B Young
11-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Incidents so far:

The incidents and Easter Road, St Andrew's and the Emirates have featured on national news bulletins over the weekend as well as on the front and back pages of newspapers so it's simply not true that it's only social media that highlights them.

I find it baffling that such a clear increase in trouble at games this season is still being brushed off by some as 'just a few idiots'. As Phil Neville correctly states below, these developments are alarming and it may only be a matter of time before a player is seriously injured. Proposals to hold matches behind closed doors will soon start to surface, although I think Neville's suggestion that players simply abandon the game when such incidents occur is a good one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47519794

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2019, 12:40 PM

What do you mean? Evidence to support people taking class A drugs before big games?

If you need the toilet next month at the derby, you'll understand perfectly well.

Hermit Crab also said he's seen it at Aberdeen away, and I've clocked it going on in certain pubs before night games against Rangers and Hearts in particular.

If you mean 'can you show me evidence that they don't do it against Livingston at home on a Saturday 3pm', well I think common sense alone is enough to tell us that they don't.

Ozyhibby
11-03-2019, 01:20 PM
What do you mean? Evidence to support people taking class A drugs before big games?

If you need the toilet next month at the derby, you'll understand perfectly well.

Hermit Crab also said he's seen it at Aberdeen away, and I've clocked it going on in certain pubs before night games against Rangers and Hearts in particular.

If you mean 'can you show me evidence that they don't do it against Livingston at home on a Saturday 3pm', well I think common sense alone is enough to tell us that they don't.

Ah well, if you and Hermit Crab have seen someone take coke in the toilet then it’s clear that this is an epidemic.

Smartie
11-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Whoever the American President has been has never had the remotest influence on my behaviour, good or otherwise.

Fair enough, I accept that it is going pretty far to correlate the American President to this behaviour directly.

But do you not think he and others can influence what is considered to be an acceptable level of behaviour in wider society?

Can the changing level of acceptable behaviour not be reflected in the behaviour of certain people and groups of people?

One Day Soon
11-03-2019, 01:31 PM
In response to the OP's question, I'm not convinced there has been an upsurge.

There's been plenty of this crap in most recent seasons so I'd need to see something more like measured evidence across a number of years - rather than red top headlines - to suggest it's a real upsurge.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Fair enough, I accept that it is going pretty far to correlate the American President to this behaviour directly.

But do you not think he and others can influence what is considered to be an acceptable level of behaviour in wider society?

Can the changing level of acceptable behaviour not be reflected in the behaviour of certain people and groups of people?

I tend to share ODS' views on his post at 1331.

Ozyhibby
11-03-2019, 02:05 PM
In response to the OP's question, I'm not convinced there has been an upsurge.

There's been plenty of this crap in most recent seasons so I'd need to see something more like measured evidence across a number of years - rather than red top headlines - to suggest it's a real upsurge.

No chance of that when it can attributed to the break down in society caused by our drug crazed youth.

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Ah well, if you and Hermit Crab have seen someone take coke in the toilet then it’s clear that this is an epidemic.

Imagine being proud of having your head that far in the sand.

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2019, 02:09 PM
I think, by the way, that Leeds manager Marco Bielsa has it spot on:

Bielsa on the attack on Jack Grealish yesterday: "The person who does the thing we saw yesterday expresses a series of frustrations which are not necessarily linked to football. Because the more satisfied you are with your personal life, the less you need to do this kind of act."

https://twitter.com/PhilHayYEP/status/1105085551479263232

LancashireHibby
11-03-2019, 02:47 PM

The tell tale sign is when there’s a queue for the cubicles and not the urinals. The use of cocaine amongst such a wide age range is so normalised these days that it’s inevitable that people also use it when attending football matches, and there’s no doubting at all that it encourages aggression far more than alcohol.

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2019, 03:26 PM
The tell tale sign is when there’s a queue for the cubicles and not the urinals. The use of cocaine amongst such a wide age range is so normalised these days that it’s inevitable that people also use it when attending football matches, and there’s no doubting at all that it encourages aggression far more than alcohol.

Which was exactly the case at Tynecastle in October, Pittodrie in November and Ibrox in December.

Again, not looking to grass anyone up, but if Police Scotland want to curb this recent spate of aggressive behaviour in Scottish football, they could do a lot worse than to start by tackling this element of it. Whether that's something as simple as having someone present by the sinks just to keep watch of people going in and out of the cubicles or not, I don't know.

This isn't just in football by the way, there have been outbreaks of violence at racecourses up and down the country and police have often linked that to cocaine usage. There was a post on here a few days back where the OP was saying that their day at the races was considerably improved by sniffer dogs at the entry gates meaning that there was far less disorderly behaviour.

Lago
11-03-2019, 03:30 PM

7heaven
11-03-2019, 04:00 PM
The incidents and Easter Road, St Andrew's and the Emirates have featured on national news bulletins over the weekend as well as on the front and back pages of newspapers so it's simply not true that it's only social media that highlights them.

I find it baffling that such a clear increase in trouble at games this season is still being brushed off by some as 'just a few idiots'. As Phil Neville correctly states below, these developments are alarming and it may only be a matter of time before a player is seriously injured. Proposals to hold matches behind closed doors will soon start to surface, although I think Neville's suggestion that players simply abandon the game when such incidents occur is a good one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47519794
During the playoff game at Ibrox when Scott Allan was being bombarded with missiles while he was attempting to take corners. I thought at the time that he should have walked off the pitch. At the time the authorities and the media just brushed it under the carpet. If that had been Hibs fans there would have been an uproar, just like what's happening now.

G B Young
11-03-2019, 04:53 PM
During the playoff game at Ibrox when Scott Allan was being bombarded with missiles while he was attempting to take corners. I thought at the time that he should have walked off the pitch. At the time the authorities and the media just brushed it under the carpet. If that had been Hibs fans there would have been an uproar, just like what's happening now.

I see Gerrard agrees with Neville that the players should simply walk off the pitch if there's a threat to their safety:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47529682

I'm in agreement, my only concern being that some fans might invade the pitch if their team was losing in order to get the game abandoned. However, player safety has to come first and if extreme measures such as closed doors games are what's required then so be it.

ancient hibee
11-03-2019, 05:11 PM
There really has been no upsurge this season.What we do get is fluctuations between the seasons .In other years we would be saying behaviour has really improved.What we see are daft individuals under the influence of something.It’s got nothing to do with society,employment or US presidents.I would like to see the Law in Scotland operate much more quickly to punish those found guilty.After all Grealish’s attacker has already been jailed for 14 weeks-be lucky if our man is in court in that time.As to the level of violence people should remember the battle at the end of the OF cup final-that really was something -or even Eddie May being attacked at Ibrox.Really there’s nothing new in football.

Besties Debut
11-03-2019, 05:15 PM
I doubt Donald being a fud has any impact on fans behaviour at football matches. His attitude makes racism and misogyny acceptable to some folk

Famous Fiver
11-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Levein just on the radio pontificating about the hooliganism issue.

From a man who lamped one of his teammates during a match. One of the worst pieces of thuggery ever seen on a Scottish football pitch.

Words fail me.....

superfurryhibby
11-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Having indulged wholeheartedly in various substances before attending football matches over three decades, I can honestly say I have never been moved to assault anyone, invade the pitch or throw coins etc, etc.

I would strongly suggest that excessive use of alcohol is a common denominator here.

Ringothedog
11-03-2019, 07:52 PM
There really has been no upsurge this season.What we do get is fluctuations between the seasons .In other years we would be saying behaviour has really improved.What we see are daft individuals under the influence of something.It’s got nothing to do with society,employment or US presidents.I would like to see the Law in Scotland operate much more quickly to punish those found guilty.After all Grealish’s attacker has already been jailed for 14 weeks-be lucky if our man is in court in that time.As to the level of violence people should remember the battle at the end of the OF cup final-that really was something -or even Eddie May being attacked at Ibrox.Really there’s nothing new in football.

I agree with most of your comments, was it not Kevin McKee rather Eddie May that got attacked at Ibrox and needed 6 stitches.I am sure they got away with it as well 😡

Jones28
11-03-2019, 07:56 PM

Which was exactly the case at Tynecastle in October, Pittodrie in November and Ibrox in December.

Again, not looking to grass anyone up, but if Police Scotland want to curb this recent spate of aggressive behaviour in Scottish football, they could do a lot worse than to start by tackling this element of it. Whether that's something as simple as having someone present by the sinks just to keep watch of people going in and out of the cubicles or not, I don't know.

This isn't just in football by the way, there have been outbreaks of violence at racecourses up and down the country and police have often linked that to cocaine usage. There was a post on here a few days back where the OP was saying that their day at the races was considerably improved by sniffer dogs at the entry gates meaning that there was far less disorderly behaviour.

Your point about races, I was at Kelso and a blind deaf mute would've known that people were taking coke in the toilets. It's the brazen attitude that it's happening with which become more and more concerning for me.

ancient hibee
11-03-2019, 08:28 PM
I agree with most of your comments, was it not Kevin McKee rather Eddie May that got attacked at Ibrox and needed 6 stitches.I am sure they got away with it as well 😡
You’re right on both counts.

OxoHibby
11-03-2019, 09:00 PM
Having indulged wholeheartedly in various substances before attending football matches over three decades, I can honestly say I have never been moved to assault anyone, invade the pitch or throw coins etc, etc.

I would strongly suggest that excessive use of alcohol is a common denominator here.

Having indulged in excessive use of alcohol before many fixtures I have never been moved to invade the pitch

hibee
12-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Yes you did, the hibs fan responsible has now been charged, disgusting behaviour and deserves a much harsher punishment than the guy who ran on the pitch.

Not had the opportunity to come on here until now. Can anyone in or around section 45, row h, seat 209 DM me with regards to any info regarding the person who beat up my brother who has cerebral palsy in his season seat on Friday night? I unfortunately couldn't make the game and his 'carer' was an older gentleman who couldn't do anything. Police and club are also involved, stewards seen incident and did not throw the guy out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ScottB
12-03-2019, 06:42 PM
Idiots inspired by idiots.

Suburban Hibby
12-03-2019, 07:08 PM

If you think it's bad now, wait another 10-20 years when the "gig economy" is in full flow and permanent contracts don't exist for anyone without a masters degree.

Absolute Rubbish- do you think that 4 stone in a wet duffle coat diddy who made a fool of himself with Tavernier really acted the way he did because he is narked with Theresa, is skint and fancies a wee Seig Heil to himself?

Stop it- probably too much dragon soup posturing in front of his mirror in a snide Stone Island thinking he is Danny Dyer.

I_Love_Latapy
12-03-2019, 08:27 PM

From today's Independent: Football's cocaine problem: 'Strong evidence' to link increase in disorder at games to drug use says top police officer

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/football-cocaine-premier-league-jack-grealish-arsenal-man-united-a8819366.html

Antifa Hibs
13-03-2019, 09:09 AM
Cheap coke use is defo on the rise. Not a football issue though. Got to a gig, the horse racing, a large concert, the boxing, a few quiet pints on a Sunday and cocaine use is evident. For the young generation it seems its about as normal going for a line as it is going for a fag, take a look on social media and there are daft 18 year olds talking about "gear", snap chatting their *****y wee half gram of "ching". I know Celtic had called in all their CSCs to Parkhead about it due to a rise in problems at away games linked to it.

BILLYHIBS
13-03-2019, 09:56 AM

Defo Kevin McKee cracking prospect too was never the same player after that all conveniently unsurprisingly brushed under the carpet

SideBurns
13-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Defo Kevin McKee cracking prospect too was never the same player after that all conveniently unsurprisingly brushed under the carpet

Davie Cooper always struggled against Kevin, and I recall Peter Weir coming to ER when Fergie's Dons were at their peak and he couldnae get past McKee either.

As you say, never the same player after the attack; just seemed to knock the confidence out of him. A real shame.

Jamesie
13-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Cheap coke use is defo on the rise. Not a football issue though. Got to a gig, the horse racing, a large concert, the boxing, a few quiet pints on a Sunday and cocaine use is evident. For the young generation it seems its about as normal going for a line as it is going for a fag, take a look on social media and there are daft 18 year olds talking about "gear", snap chatting their *****y wee half gram of "ching". I know Celtic had called in all their CSCs to Parkhead about it due to a rise in problems at away games linked to it.

It's one of a number of reasons why I find spending time in city centre pubs pretty tedious these days and why eve at the age of 38 I'd rather spend an evening at home with a decent bottle of red than head out.

I've been to Colombia and Venezuela and I've seen the devastation coke can cause both at source and closer to home. I hate to think what damage this is storing up for users in years to come.