PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon - distribution

lyonhibs
09-03-2019, 07:06 AM
He's a great servant to the club and I hope he is for a while yet, but I can't help feeling he's been half canonized by some in our support for his role in our SC win, which is understandable. but also almost 3 years ago.

Anyway, one point I've seen on here before is that McGregor is the brawn and muscle, whilst Hanlon is the intelligence and calmness, and specifically that McGregor isn't much of a ball player but Hanlon is.

The summary of McGregor I'd agree with but where are people getting that Hanlon's distribution is much better? Not just based on last night, but he seems capable of just as many aimless dunts up the park or hospital passes into midfield as anyone else and it's something we're sorely, sorely lacking if we want to play out from the back.

I know the Efe Ambroses of this word don't grow on trees, but a proper ball playing CB would be high on my summer shopping list for Heckingbottom.

Hibernian Verse
09-03-2019, 07:13 AM
He's a great servant to the club and I hope he is for a while yet, but I can't help feeling he's been half canonized by some in our support for his role in our SC win, which is understandable. but also almost 3 years ago.

Anyway, one point I've seen on here before is that McGregor is the brawn and muscle, whilst Hanlon is the intelligence and calmness, and specifically that McGregor isn't much of a ball player but Hanlon is.

The summary of McGregor I'd agree with but where are people getting that Hanlon's distribution is much better? Not just based on last night, but he seems capable of just as many aimless dunts up the park or hospital passes into midfield as anyone else and it's something we're sorely, sorely lacking if we want to play out from the back.

I know the Efe Ambroses of this word don't grow on trees, but a proper ball playing CB would be high on my summer shopping list for Heckingbottom.

Off topic but are you in Edinburgh/Meeting Fino later?

jeffers
09-03-2019, 07:40 AM

I think Paul Hanlon is an excellent player and generally is the ball playing central defender that you describe. In saying that his game has been off for the past few months and he’s been a shadow of the player he’s been the past few seasons. Scoopyboy posted recently that he has an injury and is only playing out of necessity, so I’m prepared to cut him some slack, let him recover in the summer and let him get back to his best for next season.

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Something is wrong with him, and if he is playing with an injury then we are in a lot of trouble now that Daz is suspended.

Do we have another centre half, i suppose Milligan can fill in?

I wonder if Spector will sign now, we need him or someone like him quickly.

Brightside
09-03-2019, 08:29 AM
We are struggling for an out ball from defence at the moment. It’s just going across the back line and then long. Hanlon was at his best when we had Dylan in there and the long balls only came when we had stretched the opposition. He’s also not fit which isn’t helping.

Brightside
09-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Something is wrong with him, and if he is playing with an injury then we are in a lot of trouble now that Daz is suspended.

Stirling will come in I’d think.

SChibs
09-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Has it been confirmed anywhere that Hanlon isn't fully fit? I keep hearing it and it's going to turn into the new Leigh Griffiths 150k

cleanyman
09-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Hanlon has been terrible all season

He's getting an easy time of it

Beefster
09-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Hanlon has been terrible all season

He's getting an easy time of it

Tbf, he’s not the only one. If it was Whittaker that was playing at the level of Hanlon and a couple of others, he’d be universally getting it in the neck.

Brightside
09-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Only 4 teams have a better defensive record than hibs this season.

we are hibs
09-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Only 4 teams have a better defensive record than hibs this season.

Your defence of Hanlon cause hes your pal is absolutely laughable and embarrassing

500miles
09-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Your defence of Hanlon cause hes your pal is absolutely laughable and embarrassing

Yeah, down with facts.

Sir David Gray
09-03-2019, 09:59 AM
He has been awful for months and was caught out numerous times last night especially first half.

I love the guy to bits and is 100% a legend for what he achieved in May 2016 but he shouldn't be above criticism and if we want to improve as a club then either Hanlon has to improve his game or else he needs replaced.

Allant1981
09-03-2019, 10:02 AM
The annoying thing with Hanlon is we know there is a player there but for some reason his form has dropped big time, if we had more options then I think he could do with being dropped but at this moment in time we cant

Nicho87
09-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Dstribution been poorer than most. He ususally loves a diagonal to Boyle on the right but that’s not been available this season really. Put in a few vital blocks last night watching it back this morning.

Shrekko
09-03-2019, 10:03 AM
There is CLEARLY something not right and maybe people kind of accept that? Maybe his form hasn’t been great this year but is it not actually a good thing that people aren’t hounding him... and being ‘supporters’? Don’t get why the OP is getting upset that Hibs fans have canonised him. The cup final was indeed a whole 3 years ago.... but I’m afraid anyone involved in that pretty much deserves a lifetime of immunity from heavy criticism and rightly so. 3 years seems not very much compared to 114 years.

Paul Hanlon has been pretty majestic for the past few years anyway and has defended well.

bigwheel
09-03-2019, 10:04 AM
The annoying thing with Hanlon is we know there is a player there but for some reason his form has dropped big time, if we had more options then I think he could do with being dropped but at this moment in time we cant

Isn’t the answer simple - he has an ongoing injury problem and has been asked , due to circumstances, to play every week ? That’s why he doesn’t look the same player as we saw last season ....

Allant1981
09-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Isn’t the answer simple - he has an ongoing injury problem and has been asked , due to circumstances, to play every week ? That’s why he doesn’t look the same player as we saw last season ....

You can only blame an injury(if there is one) on so much though, simple passes being turned into really bad passes isn't due to an injury, it's just poor play. Hopefully whatever the issue is gets sorted as it may end up costing us a game at some point

Brightside
09-03-2019, 10:12 AM

I defend the team. The whole back four need replacing. I heard it from the experts on here. :greengrin

bigwheel
09-03-2019, 10:13 AM
You can only blame an injury(if there is one) on so much though, simple passes being turned into really bad passes isn't due to an injury, it's just poor play. Hopefully whatever the issue is gets sorted as it may end up costing us a game at some point

Guess that depends on how the injury is affecting him...if it restricts movement and ability, and also confidence levels - it could affect these aspects of his game...

I think he is taking one for the team currently..he will know he is below his normal levels of performance - but will also recognise what is he is putting himself,through to play at that level with his injury..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J-C
09-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Johnson can play RB and CB, I think he'll come in and play there, either that you can shift Milligan there and have a more mobile midfield.

Allant1981
09-03-2019, 10:16 AM
Guess that depends on how the injury is affecting him...if it restricts movement and ability, and also confidence levels - it could affect these aspects of his game...

I think he is taking one for the team currently..he will know he is below his normal levels of performance - but will also recognise what is he is putting himself,through to play at that level with his injury..

This is also true, fingers crossed he is back to his best soon enough as he is still an asset regardless what some people think

sean04
No been at his best but I'm sure he will be back on form soon. Once we got a hold of the 2nd half the whole team looked better

bigwheel
This is also true, fingers crossed he is back to his best soon enough as he is still an asset regardless what some people think

[emoji106][emoji106]

oldbutdim
09-03-2019, 10:17 AM

A bit harsh.

I didn't know they were pals, and even now that I know they are - surely if it's correct that Hibs defence has that record then it's not really laughable or embarrassing?

J-C
09-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Scoopboy stated on the private board that Paul has been playing with an injury but as we're struggling at the back he's playing through it for the sake of the team.

Brightside
09-03-2019, 10:18 AM
Johnson can play RB and CB, I think he'll come in and play there, either that you can shift Milligan there and have a more mobile midfield.

Johnson wasnt even at EM last week... I doubt he will come in.

Allant1981
09-03-2019, 10:18 AM
I defend the team. The whole back four need replacing. I heard it from the experts on here. :greengrin

Does he actually have an injury at the moment?

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Is Johnson still at the club, i saw someone post recently that he's been back down at Leicester?

Maybe it was for treatment, but the way it was posted it seemed to insinuate more?

Brightside
09-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Paul Hanlon isnt my pal. But i respect him and admire him as a professional footballer. Even when hes not on form we are still defending well. And that is a fact....a real fact. Not just an opinion. I'd rather listen to respected coaches opinions than blow hards on a forum.

Brightside
09-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Does he actually have an injury at the moment?

Yes.

J-C
09-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Is Johnson still at the club, i saw someone post recently that he's been back down at Leicester?

Maybe it was for treatment, but the way it was posted it seemed to insinuate more?

Jeez yea just remembered he's another of our many bloody injury prone players we have, do we only sign players who have an injury history?

Brightside
09-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Jeez yea just remembered he's another of our many injury prone bloody players we have, do we only sign players who have an injury history?

He injured himself when he got the red card.

J-C
09-03-2019, 10:26 AM
He injured himself when he got the red card.

I know, it just seems some players we've signed get injured either in a tackle or just kicking the sodding ball, never known so many injuries in one season.

Hibby Kay-Yay
09-03-2019, 10:26 AM
We really miss Efe’s influence and quality.

bigwheel
09-03-2019, 10:28 AM
We really miss Efe’s influence and quality.

Yes. Huge loss...tbh. Will be very hard to replace that level of pace and quality....

JimBHibees
09-03-2019, 10:50 AM
Got to be said that is the most angry I have ever seen him on a pitch when having a go at Jack near the end.

Hibi
09-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Dstribution been poorer than most. He ususally loves a diagonal to Boyle on the right but that’s not been available this season really. Put in a few vital blocks last night watching it back this morning.

Agreed, he mate some very good interceptions and covering. Defensively we look nervous with the ball and IMO that’s because of the middle of the park where we can’t reatain the ball well.

MWHIBBIES
09-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Jeez yea just remembered he's another of our many bloody injury prone players we have, do we only sign players who have an injury history?
He's had one injury, that isn't injury prone. That's like saying Ryan Porteous is injury prone

B.H.F.C
09-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Paul Hanlon isnt my pal. But i respect him and admire him as a professional footballer. Even when hes not on form we are still defending well. And that is a fact....a real fact. Not just an opinion. I'd rather listen to respected coaches opinions than blow hards on a forum.

We’re not defending well really. We’ve hardly had a clean sheet of late. We dug in well last night but, generally, we’re not defending well at the moment. Ambrose and Porteous are seriously missed.

Malthibby
09-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Mojo answered this best on the private forum, cough up yer tenders.
GG

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2019, 11:38 AM

I think the reason we have the 4th best defensive record is down to who we had, not who we have.

We've tried to replace the best two defenders already this season in Efe and Porteous, its just a pity we had to replace them with players we currently had on the books.

gaz1875
09-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Paul's biggest problem injury or not is he can't see the simple pass. If he's not looking at the long diagonal, he plays it to the player who has the most opposition players around him. I've mentioned this before, Stevenson could be unmarked 5 yards away and he plays a pass to someone surrounded by players. :confused:

SMAXXA
09-03-2019, 12:20 PM
It’s not been his best season for Hibs and I’m sure he would be first to admit that as he’s an honest guy. I actually thought he wasn’t great bit I also think lewis has been worse the last couple of games. He’s struggles a bit since coming back from injury aswell.

Don’t know how much is down to having such a small squad just now and we have played quite a few games recently. Hopefully a good rest in the summer and come back flying as they are both assists imo, not expecting much change between now and the end of the season but hope we do see one.

superfurryhibby
09-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Paul's biggest problem injury or not is he can't see the simple pass. If he's not looking at the long diagonal, he plays it to the player who has the most opposition players around him. I've mentioned this before, Stevenson could be unmarked 5 yards away and he plays a pass to someone surrounded by players. :confused:

Not really true, is it.

Hanlon’s weaknesses are that he is 5ft 11 and not the most phyical player. He not particularly quick either.

He is good on the ball, can pass well and is well capable of breaking forward effectively. A decent footballer, very committed to the cause on field and off.

His form this season hasn’t been great, but we have heard from a few posters that he’s not fully fit. An injury which restricts your movement has a huge impact on your game. Football at a high level is all about small percentages and It really does make a difference when you’re playing with pain or restricted mobility.

Smartie
09-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Not really true, is it.

Hanlon’s weaknesses are that he is 5ft 11 and not the most phyical player. He not particularly quick either.

He is good on the ball, can pass well and is well capable of breaking forward effectively. A decent footballer, very committed to the cause on field and off.

His form this season hasn’t been great, but we have heard from a few posters that he’s not fully fit. An injury which restricts your movement has a huge impact on your game. Football at a high level is all about small percentages and It really does make a difference when you’re playing with pain or restricted mobility.

It would certainly explain his performances as they are below the level we have come to expect of him, and other than the injury there is no good explanation for it. He's not old enough to be over the hill and he still has enough good players around him to be doing better.

It's the worst he's played since he broke into the side all those years ago, but he deserves to be cut the amount of slack that a cup winning legend who is playing through injury deserves to be cut.

It's not his fault if we don't have a better option than to play him through injury, and it is to his credit that he's prepared to do so.

gaz1875
09-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Not really true, is it.

If his "injury" is so bad that he can't play a 5 yard pass, he shouldn't be anywhere near the subs bench never mind the starting 11.

superfurryhibby
09-03-2019, 12:40 PM
If his "injury" is so bad that he can't play a 5 yard pass, he shouldn't be anywhere near the subs bench never mind the starting 11.

Is that the extent of your”insight “ into Hanlon’s qualities as a footballer:aok:

gaz1875
09-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Is that the extent of your”insight “ into Hanlon’s qualities as a footballer:aok:

What the **** are you on about?

superfurryhibby
09-03-2019, 12:54 PM
What the **** are you on about?

I’m talking about your laughable assertion that defines Hanlon as a footballer by some ridiculous statement about 5 yard passes. Is that not obvious? Quality insight.

gaz1875
09-03-2019, 12:57 PM
I’m talking about your laughable assertion that defines Hanlon as a footballer by some ridiculous statement about 5 yard passes. Is that not obvious? Quality insight.

Laughable :aok:

J-C
09-03-2019, 01:45 PM
He's had one injury, that isn't injury prone. That's like saying Ryan Porteous is injury prone

Has your sense of humour had a by pass, you're after a right argument on a few threads recently eh?

pacoluna
09-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Yes.

What's his injury?

MWHIBBIES
09-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Has your sense of humour had a by pass, you're after a right argument on a few threads recently eh?

No. I assumed you were serious about him being injury prone based on one injury. Plenty others post things like that and believe it. I'm not after any arguments.

goosefat
09-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Yeah, down with facts.

Exactly. You can prove anything with facts. Who needs them?

Leith's finest
09-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Has PH not just become a dad? He could be having sleepless nights as well as carrying injury?
Me myself don't think he has being playing badly, opinions eh.
If fit he would be playing every week, don't know how many managers he has played under but they all select him, they all can't be wrong

Swedish hibee
09-03-2019, 06:37 PM
I love Paul Hanlon. Just wanted to share that!

The Modfather
09-03-2019, 06:56 PM
Stirling will come in I’d think.

I don’t know anything about Stirling, but I hope he comes in on Saturday.

I know Lennon brought through Porteous & Shaw and to a much lesser extent Mackie, but I also feel at times we were guilty of changing formations and playing players out of position rather than bringing in a youngster when the opportunity arose. Injury crisises are the time to give a youngster their chance IMO.