PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 080319)

Jonnyboy
09-03-2019, 12:21 AM
I’m not entirely sure where best to begin with this game as the 90 minutes just kind of flew by and once the dust had settled we’d secured a point which had looked to be highly unlikely after a tepid first half display. The display against Celtic last time out left me with a feeling that we’d failed to create any real problems for them to deal with and the truth is, by half time tonight, I hadn’t really noticed any discernible difference in approach. It’s true that we’d come up well short against the best team in the country and it looked for a long while that we’d come up short against the second best team in the country but a better second half display, together with an impressive amount of effort and resilience, brought its rewards.

With Slivka suspended, Stevie Mallan was drafted into the starting eleven and I confess that I worried we looked a tad lightweight in midfield. It didn’t take long for the Rangers to establish their dominance in that area and for the first half hour they bossed possession, creating chances and generally keeping Hibs on the back foot. The first of those chances fell to Ryan Kent and it was only a magnificent block by Mark Milligan that prevented his side from going a goal behind. Hibs raced to the other end but Kamberi’s effort went wide of the goal.

Around the ten minute mark, Darren McGregor picked up a yellow for a needless foul on Morelos. The visitors continued to flow forward with ease but Hibs threw everything at them to stop conceding. Around the 20 minute mark there was a heart stopping moment when Paul Hanlon was caught in possession, allowing Morelos the freedom to bear down on the Hibs goal but his effort was brilliantly stopped by Marciano.

The huge gap between our midfield and attack allowed the Rangers all the time in the world to pass the ball around us but their finishing was pretty woeful at times and anything that did look on target was either blocked by a defender or saved by our goalkeeper. Andy Halliday, teased mercilessly by the home support, should have done better from twelve yards but his effort flew over the bar before Marciano looked lively in palming away a deflected Kent effort that looked bound for the bottom corner.

With half an hour gone, Hibs changed their shape with Omeonga coming in from his wide left berth and Kamberi taking up that job. It levelled the numbers in midfield but left McNulty on his own up top. Further efforts on goal by the visitors saw Marciano deny both Morelos and Arfield but with half time looming the visitors took the lead in bizarre circumstances. The West Stand assistant put his flag up for offside and Hibs stopped playing. The ball was at the feet of McNulty, right on the by-line and when he realised that the referee had not blown his whistle he laid the ball off to Mallan whose shot was blocked and as the ball arrived at Kamberi’s feet on the eighteen yard line the big striker failed to control it. The visitors quickly broke free and with Hibs in disarray Candeias was able to loop a left footed effort beyond the diving Marciano and into the net.

What happened next was shameful in the extreme. The ball had gone out for a throw in level with the eighteen yard line in front of the East Stand. As Tavernier went to collect the ball a Hibs ‘fan’ leapt over the hoardings and kicked the ball away before squaring up to Tavernier. I’m unsure whether the Rangers man was pushed or punched but contact was definitely made. Thankfully the stewards reacted quickly and the offender was led away. I cannot express adequately just how sickened I was by this and I sincerely hope the ‘fan’ is banned for life from Easter Road and is also charged with assault on the Rangers man. No doubt the red tops will have a field day with this and what actually happened in the second half will be well away from the match report.

After the break I thought Hibs upped their game and that everything was a bit quicker and a bit more ambitious. A foul on Mallan around twenty yards from goal had the Hibs fans salivating at the thought of Stevie’s upcoming free kick but disappointingly his effort hit the wall and was cleared. Despite Hibs being more involved the Rangers continued to look dangerous on the break but with the hour mark approaching the hosts had a wonderful chance to get level. McNulty slipped his marker down the left and delivered the perfect ball to the advancing Horgan but his effort was saved by the legs of the advancing McGregor.

The home support was growing in volume as Hibs made much more of a game of it but another slack piece of play by Paul Hanlon allowed Arfield to find the unmarked Morelos but the striker fired his effort miles wide of the goal. At the other end an effort from range by Mallan saw McGregor take the safe option in pushing the dipping and swerving effort around the post. You sensed that Hibs might just get back into this game as they pushed forward at every opportunity. The leveller came when Horgan picked out McNulty who had peeled away from his marker on the right. Sparky looked up and sent over an inch perfect ball for Kamberi to knock in at the back post.

The Rangers were stung by this and Arfield very nearly restored their lead but it became clear that since the equaliser, the visitors looked hesitant and lacking in confidence whenever Hibs broke forward. Another Horgan to McNulty pass allowed the latter named to bring out a fine save by McGregor and then the Rangers keeper made a stunning double save to deny Mallan and Kamberi. With both sides going for it Hibs found themselves reduced to ten men when a sloppy midfield pass by Horgan was seized upon by Defoe but as the striker set off for goal he was crudely taken out by Darren McGregor resulting in a second yellow and subsequent red. Hibs dealt with the resulting free kick but put themselves in danger again when Mallan needlessly tripped a Rangers man around twenty yards from goal. Fans in the three home stands collectively held their breath but Halliday sent his effort over the wall the ball striking the top of the bar and going out for a goal kick.

It was breathtaking stuff tonight and had the Rangers taken their numerous chances we’d have been in trouble but on the other side of the coin they had goalkeeper McGregor to thank for not ending up on the losing side.

The players

Rocky – The Rangers were denied on multiple occasions tonight by a keeper on the top of his form. I was tad confused when Hecky said in his post-match interview that Rocky had only had a couple of saves to make because it looked more than that from where I was sitting. His fine display wins Rocky my man of the match award although one of his team mates ran him close.

SDG – In the first half, SDG rarely got forward and I’m convinced that was because he was wary of the pace Ryan Kent has. A much more advanced role in the second half meant that Kent was the one defending. A special mention for SDG’s crunching tackle on the odious Morelos which was worth getting a yellow card for.

Daz – His early foul on Morelos looked daft as his arm was up around the Rangers man’s face. His second yellow should earn the thanks of Daryl Horgan as getting his team mate off the hook for a shocking pass meant Daz had to take one for the team.

Paul – I worry about Paul as his form has dipped dramatically over the last couple of months. Tonight he was caught in possession twice in dangerous areas and I lost count of the number of times he gave Lewis a hospital pass, putting our left back in trouble.

Lewis – Although he got good cover from Omeonga in front of him, Lewis quite often found himself having to deal with the double threat of Tavernier and Candeias but he stuck to his task well. When Kamberi was pushed wide left the cover all but disappeared but once again he dealt well with the threat.

Stevie – I’m aware of the fact that Mallan has his critics; I hear some of them when I’m sitting in the stand but whilst his physicality might be rightly questioned, his effort and work rate don’t deserve that same attention.

Milli – Once again I felt he did some things very well but he also did some frustrating things like repeatedly going sideways or backwards when a forward pass was on.

Daryl – On the plus side he was involved in the build up to the equaliser and set McNulty up with another chance but on the negative side he looked spent after about 75 minutes and his slack pass that led to Daz being sent off was criminal.

Stephane – One of very few bright lights in the first half I thought he worked his socks off and always tried to be creative. In the second half I was surprised he wasn’t replaced on the hour mark as he’d faded right out of things by then.

Flo – I understand it’s his birthday today and so I’m sure he’ll be thanking his strike partner for the pass wrapped up in birthday paper for the equaliser. Flo continues to both excite and frustrate but I do feel he’s working up a good partnership with McNulty.

Sparky – This guy is a total nightmare for opposing defenders. He never stands still and his off the ball work is outstanding. The ball to Kamberi for the equaliser was perfect and only McGregor in the Rangers goal denied him getting his name on the scoresheet. Sparky ran Rocky very close for my man of the match award.

Marv – Hardly had time to get out of breath, his late arrival meaning he gets appearance money for, well just appearing.

Hecky – I’m trying to keep a level head here because by half time tonight I was thinking “has he not learned anything from the Celtic game” but an improved second half and his tweaking of the formation deserves praise. As I said earlier, we’ve faced the two best teams in the country and so it was never going to be easy getting anything out of the games.

Hermit Crab
09-03-2019, 01:12 AM
The players

Rocky – The Rangers were denied on multiple occasions tonight by a keeper on the top of his form. I was tad confused when Hecky said in his post-match interview that Rocky had only had a couple of saves to make because it looked more than that from where I was sitting. His fine display wins Rocky my man of the match award although one of his team mates ran him close.

SDG – In the first half, SDG rarely got forward and I’m convinced that was because he was wary of the pace Ryan Kent has. A much more advanced role in the second half meant that Kent was the one defending. A special mention for SDG’s crunching tackle on the odious Morelos which was worth getting a yellow card for.

Daz – His early foul on Morelos looked daft as his arm was up around the Rangers man’s face. His second yellow should earn the thanks of Daryl Horgan as getting his team mate off the hook for a shocking pass meant Daz had to take one for the team.

Paul – I worry about Paul as his form has dipped dramatically over the last couple of months. Tonight he was caught in possession twice in dangerous areas and I lost count of the number of times he gave Lewis a hospital pass, putting our left back in trouble.

Lewis – Although he got good cover from Omeonga in front of him, Lewis quite often found himself having to deal with the double threat of Tavernier and Candeias but he stuck to his task well. When Kamberi was pushed wide left the cover all but disappeared but once again he dealt well with the threat.

Stevie – I’m aware of the fact that Mallan has his critics; I hear some of them when I’m sitting in the stand but whilst his physicality might be rightly questioned, his effort and work rate don’t deserve that same attention.

Milli – Once again I felt he did some things very well but he also did some frustrating things like repeatedly going sideways or backwards when a forward pass was on.

Daryl – On the plus side he was involved in the build up to the equaliser and set McNulty up with another chance but on the negative side he looked spent after about 75 minutes and his slack pass that led to Daz being sent off was criminal.

Stephane – One of very few bright lights in the first half I thought he worked his socks off and always tried to be creative. In the second half I was surprised he wasn’t replaced on the hour mark as he’d faded right out of things by then.

Flo – I understand it’s his birthday today and so I’m sure he’ll be thanking his strike partner for the pass wrapped up in birthday paper for the equaliser. Flo continues to both excite and frustrate but I do feel he’s working up a good partnership with McNulty.

Sparky – This guy is a total nightmare for opposing defenders. He never stands still and his off the ball work is outstanding. The ball to Kamberi for the equaliser was perfect and only McGregor in the Rangers goal denied him getting his name on the scoresheet. Sparky ran Rocky very close for my man of the match award.

Marv – Hardly had time to get out of breath, his late arrival meaning he gets appearance money for, well just appearing.

Hecky – I’m trying to keep a level head here because by half time tonight I was thinking “has he not learned anything from the Celtic game” but an improved second half and his tweaking of the formation deserves praise. As I said earlier, we’ve faced the two best teams in the country and so it was never going to be easy getting anything out of the games.

Disagree, LS was roasted several times especially in the first half, his throw ins and passing were poor yet again. Can't fault his commitment at all but Nelom must be woeful if LS is keeping him out the team.

As for PH, if we had another CH in the squad he wouldn't be playing.

Omeonga MOTM for me. A right wee buzz bomb.

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2019, 01:50 AM
By the time the Huns had scored in this game I have to say I was on the point of walking out … I never would, but ye gods I wouldn't have blamed anybody who did. It was a mirror image of the Celtic game, except for the fact that we were being even more comprehensively outplayed than we were in that match. I couldn't believe that after having our ass handed to us a week ago we were approaching this game in exactly the same tepid negative manner. Only a much improved last half hour topped off by an equaliser has saved Heckingbottom from the full force of my rage.

Marciano …. 8 ….. Made a few very good saves and I didn't see him do much wrong.

Gray …. 7 …. Pretty quite in an attacking sense until deep into the second half, did pretty well defensively though and if it turns out his crunching challenge on Morelos has caused any lasting damage I'll come back and change his mark to a 10.

McGregor …. 7 ….. Also defended pretty well, even if a lot of it was last ditch … did the right thing when he took one for the team.

Hanlon … 5 …. What the hell has happened to this guy, not too long ago he was in some of his best form in years, lately he has been very average and tonight he was a bloody bomb scare.

Stevenson …. 6 …. Displayed his usual never say die attitude, but far too often our play breaks down with him because he just cant beat a man, I remain convinced that some teams deliberately allow him to be the out ball from the keeper and center halves because they know the ball is unlikely to effectively travel any further forward.

Milligan …. 6 ….. I thought at times he defended like a lion throwing himself at shots and crosses, but when he came here one of the big plus points he was supposed to have in his game was the ability to accurately hit a long pass … at one point tonight he must have seen David Gray in acres of space on the right but didn't even attempt the 40 yard pass he should have … I noticed him do the same thing against Celtic again with Gray free to run in on goal. So basically Mark WTF !!!

Omeonga …. 8 …. The wee guy ran his heart out and in the first half hour was responsible for halting or slowing down Sevco attacks down our right side on at least 3 occasions. He made a total nuisance of himself all night and did well on the ball too when he moved into the middle, I'm really starting to like him.

Mallan …. 6 …. One of these days I'm going to have to spend 90 minutes just watching him because I must be missing what it is he brings to the team that other folk are seeing, for me he was anonymous for far too much of the game.

Horgan …. 6 ….. Where to start with him, I appreciate that it wasn't totally his fault that Hibs seemed incapable of finding a way to get him into space and I wouldn't fault him for effort, but at one point he bought himself a yard of space at the edge of the box and didn't pull the trigger when from my vantage point the shot was definitely on. As for near the end, what the hell was that all about? He seemed in an ideal position to play McNulty in but didn't attempt the pass, he still managed to retain the ball but then inexplicably passed it straight to a Sevco player when he had two team mates ideally placed to receive a pass … that shocking ball lead directly to McGregor getting sent off and could easily have cost us a goal. Its not the first time he has passed straight to an opponent he just didn't seem to see ….. does the guy have an eyesight problem or colour blindness?

Kamberi …. 7 …. I thought he worked hard, but too many times his touch let him down and he allowed himself to be dispossessed too easily, not through a lack of strength but by playing the ball too far in front of himself. He was so deep in our half at times I thought he might as well have been playing centre half or left back, that's more an observation than a criticism and far more to do with the manager's tactics than anything Kamberi was doing wrong … took his goal well so gets a decent mark for doing what strikers are supposed to do. He seems to be the total opposite of Scott Brown and Naismith in that where in the refs eyes both those players are incapable of committing a foul, it seems impossible for him to be fouled … at one point he was subjected to a blatant two handed shove in the back right in front of the ref and got nothing.

McNulty …. 8 …. Worked like a dog and didn't give their defence a moments peace, his movement was very good at times and his pass for the goal was perfect. If I have one criticism its that when he got free and had time to line up his shot he should have worked that odious prick in the Sevco goal much harder rather than shooting straight at him. Still, it was a very good performance and he would have been a 9 if he had got on the score sheet.

Bartley … N/A … not on long enough to do anything.

Heckingbottom: As I said at the start, the way he set us up to play had me raging especially on the back of Saturday. I do not want to see a return to the bad old days where every game against the bigot brothers was like watching some minnow from the lower reaches take on a giant in a cup game. Over the last few years we have proved that we can take the game to these teams and be successful doing it … that's what we must keep doing. If we had lost tonight I would have been absolutely scathing of that performance and blamed him for it, we were lucky we weren't 3 - 0 down at half time.

The Ref … He might have missed some big calls for them which I wasn't in a position to see if the OP is correct, but he more than made up for that by giving us next to nothing, it wasn't for nothing that there was ironic cheers the few times a decision went our way. And as for holding up play to let a Sevco player injured BUT OFF THE PITCH recover and then even helping him up … what the actual Fk !!!

Tornadoes70
09-03-2019, 01:59 AM
Rocky was easily my man of the match.

Great link up play from the forward duo to equalise but Rocky was the catalyst for me to keep us in the match until then.

Terrific fightback Hibs!!!

:flag:

Stantons Angel
09-03-2019, 02:39 AM
Disagree, LS was roasted several times especially in the first half, his throw ins and passing were poor yet again. Can't fault his commitment at all but Nelom must be woeful if LS is keeping him out the team.

As for PH, if we had another CH in the squad he wouldn't be playing.

Omeonga MOTM for me. A right wee buzz bomb.

IMO Lewis might not have had his best game tonight but as you say no one can doubt his commitment to that jersey.
I do think however your motm contender did also put in some very slack passes causing the players around him some confusion. He is a lovely wee player and can see a pass and run at a defence with plenty confidence, i know that he will get used to the pace of the game more times he plays.

I dont think Nelom is woeful either its just that Lewis keeps the jersey and has done so under umpteen managers and was not the worst player on the park tonight either IMO!

Chuck Rhoades
09-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Good write up. Cheers.

we are hibs
09-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Thought again you could see the extra spring in Kamberi's step after he scored. Was like a different player to the one before the goal.

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2019, 06:48 AM
Brilliant Jonnyboy as usual

Stevie Mallin remains an enigma

Its a no from me

Horgan continues to make the wrong choices spoiling his good work

Flo touch of an elephant and looks like an elephant :wink:

Hanlon WTF!

Out of interest Jonnyboy what were your marks for the Ref as Hibbyradge has started a thread implying he was brilliant and saved us a point ? :confused:

Methinks Hibbyradge is at the wynd up or did not actually attend the game to witness the action first hand :cb

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Thought again you could see the extra spring in Kamberi's step after he scored. Was like a different player to the one before the goal.

This

Shows how much a confidence player the boy is

Still a young player

Happy Birthday Flo

Dont eat too much cake :greengrin

calumhibee1
09-03-2019, 08:05 AM
Rocky - 8 - faultless but I don’t remember him actually having many saves to make to be honest other than the one in the first half from Morelos?

Gray - 6 - thought he was roasted by Kent a few times but done ok other than that

Daz - 8 - my MOTM. Didn’t really put a foot wrong. Done the right thing by taking Defoe out at the end.

Hanlon - 5 - very poor and his form is very worrying.

Stevenson - 6 - struggled to deal with the Rangers right hand side

Milligan - 6 - done ok IMO

Omeonga - 6 - stuck to his task and done a power of running. Didn’t offer much on the ball

Mallan - 5 - pretty anonymous to be honest and should have scored

Horgan - 6 - was knackered from about 60 mins and I can’t believe he stayed on the whole game. Should have scored but played ok.

Flo - 7 - poor first half but looked really dangerous coming in from the left second half. Took his goal well, not an easy finish.

McNulty - 8 - never gave the Rangers defence a minutes peace, made it difficult for them to win the headers cleanly. Great ball for Flos goal and really got under their skin. Only just shaded by Daz for MOTM.

Hecky - 6 - a very poor first half combined with a very good performance from The Rangers should have had them out of sight. Much better second half and we were unlucky not to win it. Looking at the bench last night he started with pretty much the only starting line up realistically available to him. Bet he can’t wait to get his own players in and sort this squad out in the summer.

Referee - humming. How he never booked Morelos for his twenty seconds of goading the Hibs fans after the goal or the foul on McNulty in front of the east just inside the Rangers half I’ll never know.

lyonhibs
09-03-2019, 08:13 AM
I’m not entirely sure where best to begin with this game as the 90 minutes just kind of flew by and once the dust had settled we’d secured a point which had looked to be highly unlikely after a tepid first half display. The display against Celtic last time out left me with a feeling that we’d failed to create any real problems for them to deal with and the truth is, by half time tonight, I hadn’t really noticed any discernible difference in approach. It’s true that we’d come up well short against the best team in the country and it looked for a long while that we’d come up short against the second best team in the country but a better second half display, together with an impressive amount of effort and resilience, brought its rewards.

With Slivka suspended, Stevie Mallan was drafted into the starting eleven and I confess that I worried we looked a tad lightweight in midfield. It didn’t take long for the Rangers to establish their dominance in that area and for the first half hour they bossed possession, creating chances and generally keeping Hibs on the back foot. The first of those chances fell to Ryan Kent and it was only a magnificent block by Mark Milligan that prevented his side from going a goal behind. Hibs raced to the other end but Kamberi’s effort went wide of the goal.

Around the ten minute mark, Darren McGregor picked up a yellow for a needless foul on Morelos. The visitors continued to flow forward with ease but Hibs threw everything at them to stop conceding. Around the 20 minute mark there was a heart stopping moment when Paul Hanlon was caught in possession, allowing Morelos the freedom to bear down on the Hibs goal but his effort was brilliantly stopped by Marciano.

The huge gap between our midfield and attack allowed the Rangers all the time in the world to pass the ball around us but their finishing was pretty woeful at times and anything that did look on target was either blocked by a defender or saved by our goalkeeper. Andy Halliday, teased mercilessly by the home support, should have done better from twelve yards but his effort flew over the bar before Marciano looked lively in palming away a deflected Kent effort that looked bound for the bottom corner.

With half an hour gone, Hibs changed their shape with Omeonga coming in from his wide left berth and Kamberi taking up that job. It levelled the numbers in midfield but left McNulty on his own up top. Further efforts on goal by the visitors saw Marciano deny both Morelos and Arfield but with half time looming the visitors took the lead in bizarre circumstances. The West Stand assistant put his flag up for offside and Hibs stopped playing. The ball was at the feet of McNulty, right on the by-line and when he realised that the referee had not blown his whistle he laid the ball off to Mallan whose shot was blocked and as the ball arrived at Kamberi’s feet on the eighteen yard line the big striker failed to control it. The visitors quickly broke free and with Hibs in disarray Candeias was able to loop a left footed effort beyond the diving Marciano and into the net.

After the break I thought Hibs upped their game and that everything was a bit quicker and a bit more ambitious. A foul on Mallan around twenty yards from goal had the Hibs fans salivating at the thought of Stevie’s upcoming free kick but disappointingly his effort hit the wall and was cleared. Despite Hibs being more involved the Rangers continued to look dangerous on the break but with the hour mark approaching the hosts had a wonderful chance to get level. McNulty slipped his marker down the left and delivered the perfect ball to the advancing Horgan but his effort was saved by the legs of the advancing McGregor.

The home support was growing in volume as Hibs made much more of a game of it but another slack piece of play by Paul Hanlon allowed Arfield to find the unmarked Morelos but the striker fired his effort miles wide of the goal. At the other end an effort from range by Mallan saw McGregor take the safe option in pushing the dipping and swerving effort around the post. You sensed that Hibs might just get back into this game as they pushed forward at every opportunity. The leveller came when Horgan picked out McNulty who had peeled away from his marker on the right. Sparky looked up and sent over an inch perfect ball for Kamberi to knock in at the back post.

The Rangers were stung by this and Arfield very nearly restored their lead but it became clear that since the equaliser, the visitors looked hesitant and lacking in confidence whenever Hibs broke forward. Another Horgan to McNulty pass allowed the latter named to bring out a fine save by McGregor and then the Rangers keeper made a stunning double save to deny Mallan and Kamberi. With both sides going for it Hibs found themselves reduced to ten men when a sloppy midfield pass by Horgan was seized upon by Defoe but as the striker set off for goal he was crudely taken out by Darren McGregor resulting in a second yellow and subsequent red. Hibs dealt with the resulting free kick but put themselves in danger again when Mallan needlessly tripped a Rangers man around twenty yards from goal. Fans in the three home stands collectively held their breath but Halliday sent his effort over the wall the ball striking the top of the bar and going out for a goal kick.

It was breathtaking stuff tonight and had the Rangers taken their numerous chances we’d have been in trouble but on the other side of the coin they had goalkeeper McGregor to thank for not ending up on the losing side.

The players

It wasn't a double save from McGregor was it, the follow up was blocked no? Otherwise, agree with most points, and happy to have taken one from the game given that rank first half.

Hibrandenburg
09-03-2019, 08:25 AM
Can't fault any of that JB. Rangers should have had the game wrapped up at half time but a plucky 2nd half performance help us scrape a draw. They must feel they were robbed which is doubly pleasing.

hibee_girl
09-03-2019, 08:58 AM
Agree with others saying Stevenson wasn’t great last night. I was hoping we’d bring Mackie on to give him some help as he wasn’t getting much from Omeonga.

Interesting to see Murray was stripped and ready to come on just before we scored.

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Rocky - 8 - faultless but I don’t remember him actually having many saves to make to be honest other than the one in the first half from Morelos?

Gray - 6 - thought he was roasted by Kent a few times but done ok other than that

Daz - 8 - my MOTM. Didn’t really put a foot wrong. Done the right thing by taking Defoe out at the end.

Hanlon - 5 - very poor and his form is very worrying.

Stevenson - 6 - struggled to deal with the Rangers right hand side

Milligan - 6 - done ok IMO

Omeonga - 6 - stuck to his task and done a power of running. Didn’t offer much on the ball

Mallan - 5 - pretty anonymous to be honest and should have scored

Horgan - 6 - was knackered from about 60 mins and I can’t believe he stayed on the whole game. Should have scored but played ok.

Flo - 7 - poor first half but looked really dangerous coming in from the left second half. Took his goal well, not an easy finish.

McNulty - 8 - never gave the Rangers defence a minutes peace, made it difficult for them to win the headers cleanly. Great ball for Flos goal and really got under their skin. Only just shaded by Daz for MOTM.

Hecky - 6 - a very poor first half combined with a very good performance from The Rangers should have had them out of sight. Much better second half and we were unlucky not to win it. Looking at the bench last night he started with pretty much the only starting line up realistically available to him. Bet he can’t wait to get his own players in and sort this squad out in the summer.

Referee - humming. How he never booked Morelos for his twenty seconds of goading the Hibs fans after the goal or the foul on McNulty in front of the east just inside the Rangers half I’ll never know.

:confused:

Horgan

Shudda slipped McNulty in for the second but delayed back peddled and passed straight to Der Hun putting the defence under unnecessary self inflicted pressure forcing Daz to take out Defoe much to the delight of Steven McLean

Another poor choice by Daryl not sure if caused by tiredness or blindness

Jonnyboy
09-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Brilliant Jonnyboy as usual

Stevie Mallin remains an enigma

Its a no from me

Horgan continues to make the wrong choices spoiling his good work

Flo touch of an elephant and looks like an elephant :wink:

Hanlon WTF!

Out of interest Jonnyboy what were your marks for the Ref as Hibbyradge has started a thread implying he was brilliant and saved us a point ? :confused:

Methinks Hibbyradge is at the wynd up or did not actually attend the game to witness the action first hand :cb

I thought the ref was appalling, Billy and had said so in my post but when I went to upload it there were too many words so I had to trim that bit out :greengrin

bigwheel
09-03-2019, 10:33 AM
I thought the ref was appalling, Billy and had said so in my post but when I went to upload it there were too many words so I had to trim that bit out :greengrin

There were times in the second half, where I thought he had actually lost control of the game...so much was going on that he was missing or not dealing with...poor night for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
09-03-2019, 12:11 PM
:confused:

Horgan

Shudda slipped McNulty in for the second but delayed back peddled and passed straight to Der Hun putting the defence under unnecessary self inflicted pressure forcing Daz to take out Defoe much to the delight of Steven McLean

Another poor choice by Daryl not sure if caused by tiredness or blindness

I’m maybe being slightly generous but I don’t think he should have been on the pitch at that point, he was struggling to break out a slow jog. So I’ll let him off with it :greengrin

Peevemor
09-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Chickenbottom! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/849ef63c18f87df09d2024bed11d2b9b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/c116d4b99f49ccd06cbfcf586b2030a2.jpg

Keith_M
09-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Gonnae stop quoting JB's whole post before replying tae it!

Jonnyboy
09-03-2019, 01:35 PM
It wasn't a double save from McGregor was it, the follow up was blocked no? Otherwise, agree with most points, and happy to have taken one from the game given that rank first half.

I concur having now watched the highlights. ✅

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Chickenbottom! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/849ef63c18f87df09d2024bed11d2b9b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/c116d4b99f49ccd06cbfcf586b2030a2.jpg

Hibernators :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2019, 06:21 PM
Agree with others saying Stevenson wasn’t great last night. I was hoping we’d bring Mackie on to give him some help as he wasn’t getting much from Omeonga.

Interesting to see Murray was stripped and ready to come on just before we scored.

Until he was moved from the left Omeonga did more to stop Sevco from ripping us down that side than Lewis did, I counted at least 3 times where he won the ball or slowed down an attack.

Jonnyboy
09-03-2019, 10:50 PM
Until he was moved from the left Omeonga did more to stop Sevco from ripping us down that side than Lewis did, I counted at least 3 times where he won the ball or slowed down an attack.

👍

Tornadoes70
09-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Rocky was easily my motm. Kept us in it in the first half. Omeonga was very effective closing down, harrying and trying to get forward when given the opportunity. The front two are a revelation together. McNulty is a class act and brings out the best in Flo. Generally thought the whole team played well especially the second half against what is very probably the second best team in the country. SDG must be retained for a while yet.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

IberianHibernian
10-03-2019, 12:00 AM
As always a great report . I thought Horgan was great and was going to post a thread last night about how he`d been good till well into second half after early substitutions in other matches but won`t bother now as reading your report and others here I`m obviously wrong .

Jonnyboy
11-03-2019, 09:32 AM
As always a great report . I thought Horgan was great and was going to post a thread last night about how he`d been good till well into second half after early substitutions in other matches but won`t bother now as reading your report and others here I`m obviously wrong .

You’re not wrong, you just have a different opinion which is healthy ✅

Besties Debut
11-03-2019, 10:22 AM
I think you're being too kind to our full backs. SDG and Lewis were roasted by the hun wingers especially Lewis who I've no doubt was identified as a week spot by Gerrard considering how many times the ball was played down the right wing.

w pilton hibby
11-03-2019, 11:00 AM
I think you're being too kind to our full backs. SDG and Lewis were roasted by the hun wingers especially Lewis who I've no doubt was identified as a week spot by Gerrard considering how many times the ball was played down the right wing.

Alternatively you could say Rangers attacks were made down their right wing because this is where there best players play.

BILLYHIBS
11-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Alternatively you could say Rangers attacks were made down their right wing because this is where there best players play.

There best player was #14 Ryan Kent a left winger I thought SDG did well to contain him with a few timely tackles

Hibernian Verse
11-03-2019, 12:09 PM
There best player was #14 Ryan Kent a left winger I thought SDG did well to contain him with a few timely tackles

:agree: He's too good for that Rangers team, I think he'll be back down to Liverpool next season.

hibsbollah
11-03-2019, 12:19 PM
I liked your mention of SDGs brutalising of Morelos. A vicious tackle which is be screaming for a red for if it was the other way round. I'm not ashamed to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm just sorry that nobody put a similar challenge on that **** Ryan Jack.