PDA

View Full Version : Midfield problem

madhatter
08-03-2019, 11:55 PM
Mallan and Milligan are shocking as a two. Absolutely horrendous. Most of the game I thought they were jogging because they are just that slow. Horgan still can’t last more than 60mins and was absolutely rotten tonight. He had a chance to run and take a shot but instead turned back and played a shocking pass that eventually saw McGregor see red.

I’m glad we are picking up points and Heckys definitely got us more organised but our midfield is quite possibly the worst I’ve seen since the dark days of Fenlon and Butcher. Zero balance and not a single midfielder willing to take ball under pressure. I rated Fyvie when he was at Hibs, wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but looking at what we’ve got now he would be a step up. Shows how far we’ve went backwards.

Big rebuild in the summer. Too many old players and too many players not good enough unfortunately. Can see Porteous, Murray and Shaw playing big parts next season.

Ozyhibby
09-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Milligan plays so deep he’s really just an extra centre half. First half Mallan was pretty much in midfield by himself. Second half Omeungo went inside and suddenly we had a bit about us.
We need a holding midfielder who can play in the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
09-03-2019, 12:10 AM
Milligan plays so deep he’s really just an extra centre half. First half Mallan was pretty much in midfield by himself. Second half Omeungo went inside and suddenly we had a bit about us.

Milligan was playing as one of a three from about 30 minutes into the game according to Heck on the radio.

One Day Soon
09-03-2019, 12:12 AM
Mallan and Milligan are shocking as a two. Absolutely horrendous. Most of the game I thought they were jogging because they are just that slow. Horgan still can’t last more than 60mins and was absolutely rotten tonight. He had a chance to run and take a shot but instead turned back and played a shocking pass that eventually saw McGregor see red.

I’m glad we are picking up points and Heckys definitely got us more organised but our midfield is quite possibly the worst I’ve seen since the dark days of Fenlon and Butcher. Zero balance and not a single midfielder willing to take ball under pressure. I rated Fyvie when he was at Hibs, wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but looking at what we’ve got now he would be a step up. Shows how far we’ve went backwards.

Big rebuild in the summer. Too many old players and too many players not good enough unfortunately. Can see Porteous, Murray and Shaw playing big parts next season.

He literally turned and ran backwards from a clear forward attacking position in the final third twice. It was total nosebleed territory for him. I don't know how you fix that.

overdrive
09-03-2019, 01:07 AM
I’d give BigGirlMania a chance. He seemed competent in his sub appearance after he signed.

truehibernian
09-03-2019, 01:23 AM
When you look at who is out at present I think we have done well to remain unbeaten under PH in the league with what he's had to choose from.

Without doubt Boyle, Agyepong and Gauld would offer creativity and pace - so we can't be overly critical of the midfield at present. We are having to go narrow due to lack of options. Mallan has to do more for me - really poor awareness and needs to have more confidence on the ball. I thought he would develop like McGinn and take the ball and drive forward but he is timid and doesn't have the same gallus nature. Something he needs to work on and I'm sure has in his skill set.

calumhibee1
09-03-2019, 07:47 AM
Milligan was playing as one of a three from about 30 minutes into the game according to Heck on the radio.

He was. Flo pushes out onto the left in the first half and Omeonga went more central.

Tyler Durden
09-03-2019, 07:51 AM
He was. Flo pushes out onto the left in the first half and Omeonga went more central.

Heckingbottom talked about a 3 up top (Kamberi and Horgan going wide) so Milligan was in the middle with Mallan and Omeonga. Is that the 3 we’re talking about? Basically a 4-2-3-1

Milligan wasn’t part of a 3 at the back. He just played deep.

The 4-2–3-1 is the answer to this midfield problem until we get to the summer. Kamberi needs to start playing from the left more often. He can definitely thrive in that role IMO.

calumhibee1
09-03-2019, 07:54 AM
I think the previous poster has misheard Heckingbottom. He talked about a 3 up top (Kamberi and Horgan going wide) so Milligan was in the middle with Mallan and Omeonga. Basically a 4-2-3-1

The 4-2–3-1 is the answer to this midfield problem until we get to the summer. Kamberi needs to start playing from the left more often. He can definitely thrive in that role IMO.

I thought Flo looked dangerous when he got the ball out there. Other than Flo being slightly out of position I’d agree it probably suits the players we have. Allows 3 in the middle, allows Mallan to play in the whole, allows Horgan to play as a proper winger and I thought McNulty played the lone striker role very well. The rest of our midfielders are probably more suited to playing in the deeper 2.

BlackSheep
09-03-2019, 08:47 AM
The problem with the midfield last night was the defence hoofing it over their heads all game!!!

Weegreenman
09-03-2019, 09:35 AM
The OP was a bit harsh on Horgan, thought he was decent tonight and definitely was one of our very few bright spots. Funny how people see things different :confused:

SChibs
09-03-2019, 09:39 AM
The OP was a bit harsh on Horgan, thought he was decent tonight and definitely was one of our very few bright spots. Funny how people see things different :confused:

If he makes 5 good passes people will still point out 1 bad pass. The pass that led to DM being sent off will be sticking in folks minds and away their opinion a bit

LancsHibs
09-03-2019, 09:44 AM
Thought Horgan was excellent last night, ran his socks off and was a constant threat to the Rangers back line! Have to agree though, major improvements needed in the summer from back to front

Greenbeard
09-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Heckingbottom talked about a 3 up top (Kamberi and Horgan going wide) so Milligan was in the middle with Mallan and Omeonga. Is that the 3 we’re talking about? Basically a 4-2-3-1

Agree with this - as wide as needs be so he gets the 10 yards of free space he needs so he can get the ball under control without anyone near him.

Hibi
09-03-2019, 09:45 AM
The problem with the midfield last night was the defence hoofing it over their heads all game!!!

TBF It can’t be fun playing in Hibs defence at the minute. Very few options last night ahead of them, Milligan and Mallan aren’t the most mobile with both getting caught on the ball. Throw ins were a prime example, one with Lewis in the first half where only people looking were Kamberi and Omeonga. Neither Mallan or Milligan wanted it but should have been natural option to retain possession.

Beefster
09-03-2019, 09:46 AM

I know you don’t like him but criticising him for not playing in midfield when he’s playing in defence is a bit much. A bit like moaning that Marciano doesn’t get into enough goal-scoring positions.

Onion
09-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Although Sevco played well 1at half, our midfield really helped them. None were able to take the ball in and hold it under pressure, invariably passing it back to the CBs to hoof it long or simply giving it away. It was quite shocking. Too small, cannot tackle, cannot here ld the ball under pressure. Our midfield is so bad, I’d be quite happy for any of tg to be playing against us, which says it all.

J-C
09-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately if we want to play a front 2 we'll need 2 very different midfielders to Mallan and Milligan, very few teams play just 2 up top preferring either 4-3-3 or a back 3 which allows 3 mids and 3 up top. Problem we have with a back 3 is Gray and Stevenson are not good enough as wingbacks to do the job well, only real time a back 3 worked for us was when Gray was injured and Boyle played as a wingback, a lot of wingbacks are converted wingers like Ashley Young, Valencia, Kieran Gibbs, Jordi Alba and Patrice Evra,

Greenbeard
09-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately if we want to play a front 2 we'll need 2 very different midfielders to Mallan and Milligan, very few teams play just 2 up top preferring either 4-3-3 or a back 3 which allows 3 mids and 3 up top. Problem we have with a back 3 is Gray and Stevenson are not good enough as wingbacks to do the job well, only real time a back 3 worked for us was when Gray was injured and Boyle played as a wingback, a lot of wingbacks are converted wingers like Ashley Young, Valencia, Kieran Gibbs, Jordi Alba and Patrice Evra,
Time is ticking for both Gray and Stevenson alas but right at this moment I stand by them for their defensive attributes which we really need right now, altho both got skinned a beauty at least once last night. But yes, recently they have not been getting forward as effectively as previously.

Tyler Durden
09-03-2019, 10:34 AM
I know you don’t like him but criticising him for not playing in midfield when he’s playing in defence is a bit much. A bit like moaning that Marciano doesn’t get into enough goal-scoring positions.

Nope - he was playing in midfield.