PDA

View Full Version : Centre backs

Diclonius
08-03-2019, 10:23 PM
With McGregor's red card and the injuries to Porteous and Johnson it looks like we're down to Hanlon (who is apparently not fully fit?) and Milligan for the next couple games. Has there been any progress on Spector?

Crab apple
08-03-2019, 10:23 PM
I hope so.

JohnM1875
08-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Can we not appeal the red? Didn't Morelos get one overturned for two yellows earlier in the season? Or was that under different circumstances?

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-03-2019, 10:42 PM
Surely an opportunity for someone to step up from the reserves-development team rather than play a first team player out of position?

04Sauzee
08-03-2019, 10:44 PM
With McGregor's red card and the injuries to Porteous and Johnson it looks like we're down to Hanlon (who is apparently not fully fit?) and Milligan for the next couple games. Has there been any progress on Spector?

I asked about Spector yesterday, didn't turn out to be the best of threads tbh

Heisenberg
08-03-2019, 10:44 PM
Milligan will surely drop back, which is a shame, as I’m sure he’s been pretty poor every time he’s played there for us.

Diclonius
08-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Milligan will surely drop back, which is a shame, as I’m sure he’s been pretty poor every time he’s played there for us.

He played very well in a back three after he came back from Asia, forget which game.

overdrive
08-03-2019, 10:48 PM
It’s fine. We had Gray and Stevenson playing at centre back for 75% of the game today.

Unseen work
08-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Hanlon is really struggling imo.

On the ball he isn’t confident and as a result is taking too long on it and losing it or stitching up his team mate with a really poor pass.

I can see Heck wanting better in the summer.

Irish_Steve
08-03-2019, 11:00 PM
I heard Spector is brilliant at defending free kicks, after all, he can build a wall of sound................

BlackSheep
08-03-2019, 11:04 PM
As much as I don’t want to say it, the whole defence looks to be on thin ice this year, especially since Efe left.

If we can keep McNulty and Scott Allan does eventually sign an actual contract with us then the defence should really be the area to work on over the summer.

Billy Whizz
08-03-2019, 11:06 PM
Surely an opportunity for someone to step up from the reserves-development team rather than play a first team player out of position?

Ben Stirling is ready

hibsdaft
08-03-2019, 11:17 PM
I heard Spector is brilliant at defending free kicks, after all, he can build a wall of sound................

That's shocking 😁

04Sauzee
08-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Ben Stirling is ready

Good, sometimes young boys just need a lucky break

3pm
08-03-2019, 11:22 PM
Ben Stirling is ready

Yaaaaas!

The Modfather
08-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Hanlon needs replaced if he can’t get out of this seasons slump as he’s been awfull. McGregor is a good defender, but a bit like Berra in that his distribution is just a punt in the vague direction of the forwards.

Think Heckingbottom will be looking for a partner for Porteous in the summer.

JimboHibs
08-03-2019, 11:25 PM
As much as I don’t want to say it, the whole defence looks to be on thin ice this year, especially since Efe left.

If we can keep *McNulty* and Scott Allan does eventually sign an actual contract with us then the defence should really be the area to work on over the summer.

We wont be keeping McNulty unfortunately.

overdrive
08-03-2019, 11:28 PM
I think we need an entire new back four. McGregor isn’t getting any younger, Hanlon has been poor for months (possibly still carrying an injury), and I hate to say it about two Hibs legends but Gray and Stevenson look like they are going the same way.

I’d prioritise:

A first choice centre half to partner Porteous
A right back
A squad player centre back (probably two or three)
A squad player right back (depending if Gray gets a new deal. Hopefully we’ve seen the last of Whittaker)
A left back (bottom of the list as we have Stevenson contracted and Mackie coming through - hopefully he can really push on).

greenlex
08-03-2019, 11:34 PM

If we can keep McNulty and Scott Allan does eventually sign an actual contract with us then the defence should really be the area to work on over the summer.
There’s only four teams above us with better defensive records. It might be on thin ice and looking a bit shaky but it’s not a disaster. We actually defend very well for the most part. It’s the silly mistakes that make it look worse than it actually is.

Onceinawhile
08-03-2019, 11:35 PM
Can we not appeal the red? Didn't Morelos get one overturned for two yellows earlier in the season? Or was that under different circumstances?

We can, but there's not a chance of winning the appeal!!

overdrive
08-03-2019, 11:37 PM
There’s only four teams above us with better defensive records. It might be on thin ice and looking a bit shaky but it’s not a disaster. We actually defend very well for the most part. It’s the silly mistakes that make it look worse than it actually is.

Which more or less corresponds to where we are in the league (5th best defensive record, 6th in the league, a couple of points off 5th). We need better if we realistically want to be 3rd/2nd.

Hibernian32
09-03-2019, 12:10 AM
It's hard when that back 4 has so much sentimental value and have provided us with many a memory but aye. I think we need to start looking at brining through youth we have Porto and tommy block that are youngish we need a strong centre half that can play with his feet and is coming into his prime 24/25ish.

As for our full backs next season we need boys that should be starting. Not signed up as back up to Gray and Stevenson. For the last 3/4 season all we have signed in that position is back ups it's never been competition.

MacGruber
09-03-2019, 09:24 AM
So what are the options - big game v Motherwell Sat.

Milligan dropping back, Bartley in midfield
Milligan dropping back, Birgiama in midfield
Johnson being fit for next week
Ben Stirling stepping up from youth
Other defender stepping up from youth
3 at the back
?

Slivka & Gauld back in contention?

Brightside
09-03-2019, 09:51 AM
How many saves did Ofi have to make last night. The defence is rubbish stuff is getting totally overplayed. We have defended well as a team since Heck came in.