PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most "marmite" hibs player ever?

we are hibs
08-03-2019, 06:26 AM
Let's be honest; everyone is going to come on and say Lewis Stevenson. Some think he's the worst person ever and started the plague single handed. Others think he is Mr.hibs and single handedly won us both cups. I'm somewhere inbetween.

Another from recent years to chuck in is malonga. I loved the guy and thought his skill and technique was a class above anyone else at the time when he was at the top of his game. Although I get he was an incredibly frustrating player if he wasn't at it. Because he was very laid back people got the impression he wasn't arsed. Also that chance against hearts when we were 3 on 1 and he decided to shoot from 25 yards :grr:

Libby Hibby
08-03-2019, 06:38 AM
Joe Tortolano. Loved the guy. One week he was Messi, the next week he couldve been amateur at best. You just didn’t know what you were going to get.

Great lad too, always played with a smile on his deface.

DetroitHibs
08-03-2019, 07:12 AM
Tony Rougier for me. One week unplayable, the next anonymous.

Carheenlea
08-03-2019, 07:13 AM
Brian Hamilton. Some would argue he was the key component in the midfield at the time but others would have him in worst of all time Hibs XI. Never any middle ground.

Frazerbob
08-03-2019, 07:31 AM
Stuart Lovell

Keyser Sauzee
08-03-2019, 07:34 AM
Slivka has to be up there.

superbam
08-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Stuart Lovell

Definitely. Infuriating and took some healthy abuse for his "unseen work" but scored some incredible goals for us.

Hibernian Verse
Jarko Wiss

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
Slivka has to be up there.

Slivka from the current squad was my pick too.

The Spaceman
08-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Stevie Mallan also has to be up there for recent Hibs players! I rate him.

hibee_girl
08-03-2019, 07:47 AM
Stuart Lovell

:agree:

I really didn’t like him at first but something changed and he became one of my favourites :greengrin

hibee_girl
08-03-2019, 07:48 AM
Eoin Doyle was another one.

Smartie
08-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Kevin Thomson.

3 spells at the club, played for nothing, boyhood fan, bringing his kids up as Hibs fans.

Snakey Hun with a big mouth.

You decide.

BoomtownHibees
08-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Ian/Ihun Murray

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Tony Higgins

Stood six foot four legs like tree trunks slower than a week in the jail brilliant close control best thing he ever done?.....hand the Holy Grail over to SDG. :greengrin

JimBHibees
08-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Joe Tortolano. Loved the guy. One week he was Messi, the next week he couldve been amateur at best. You just didn’t know what you were going to get.

Must have missed that game. :greengrin

hibsbollah
08-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Jarko Wiss

Nobody liked him, surely.

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2019, 08:04 AM

Heard he was brilliant in Training :greengrin

Loved the guy too came in for a lot of stick

Always gave 100%

Whipped over a brilliant cross

Remember his tackle on Gordon Strachan in the first minute in a friendly versus Man Utd?

:faf:

hibsbollah
08-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Kevin Thomson.

3 spells at the club, played for nothing, boyhood fan, bringing his kids up as Hibs fans.

You decide.

:faf:
We have a winner

ian cruise
08-03-2019, 08:14 AM
John Rankin has to be one. To some he was seriously underrated and a good player in a bad side, others he's always been a total huddy.

Also Fraser Fyvie, the debated when he left surely prove he's worthy of a, nomination.

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2019, 08:16 AM
Jim Black, a decent player who tried his best, but if we'd had a George Stewart instead of him, i'm sure we'd have won the league with that team.

Auckland Hibs
08-03-2019, 08:25 AM
Brian Hamilton all day long.

Utter mince IMO.

Does the hardwork/unseen graft.

Sold him to the Yams was my only good memory of him IIRC.

Hibbyradge
08-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Ally "Benny" Brazil.

Benny took a lot of stick from large sections of the support although he was a regular starter for years.

His "bohemian" looks stood him out from other players and, as s result, any errors he did make were always spotted and attributed to him.

However, he played under 5 managers and he could accurately aim a slide tackle from one side of the pitch to the other. :greengrin

He's definitely the one player who I liked one week, but who would frustrate the life out of me the next.

https://i.postimg.cc/vBr1g92f/44408419-ally-brazil-hibs-220sns.jpg

Alex Trager
08-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Kevin Thomson.

You decide.

[emoji122]

Leith's finest
08-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Not a player but a manager N.Lennon.
Player Joe Mcbride jnr

Peevemor
08-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Not a player but a manager N.Lennon.
Player Joe Mcbride jnr

Moreso Alan Stubbs I would say. I think once everyone's calmed down a bit, there won't be many that'll say that NL was a bad manager, whereas Stubbs still gets stick for not getting us promoted.

Hibbyradge
08-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Brian Hamilton all day long.

Utter mince IMO.

Does the hardwork/unseen graft.

Sold him to the Yams was my only good memory of him IIRC.

Some people like Marmite ...

ian cruise
08-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Just reading the A-League thread and Jamie Maclaren came up, another contender. I'd definitely have him back next season as his form was bad at the same time most of our team were struggling. For me he showed what a player he can be last season and I'm sure he could recapture that form.

Others thought he was, well I'll leave that up to Speedway to describe.

dchibs
08-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Tony Higgins

Stood six foot four legs like tree trunks slower than a week in the jail brilliant close control best thing he ever done?.....hand the Holy Grail over to SDG. :greengrin

Ally Mcleoud laid back and lazy never tackled, but in the same game he would score a hattrick by placing the ball effortless into the top corner of the net from 30yards.

Monts
08-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Claros
Caldwell
McPake

Diclonius
08-03-2019, 09:31 AM
John Rankin has to be one. To some he was seriously underrated and a good player in a bad side, others he's always been a total huddy.

Also Fraser Fyvie, the debated when he left surely prove he's worthy of a, nomination.

Fyvie was a cup winning legend and a key component of the midfield. Rankin worked hard but that was about it.

Pretty Boy
08-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Yves MaKalambay

He was capable of some spectacular saves but he was ultimately pretty rubbish. There were a few who convinced themselves he was world class though; I reckon there's still a group of fans who think his decade in the wilderness (currently warming the bench at Wycombe after nearly 2 years out the game) is a temporary set back and Real Madrid will come calling any day.

easty
08-03-2019, 09:37 AM
Kevin Thomson.

You decide.

They're not mutually exclusive.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-03-2019, 09:40 AM
Colin Nish.

Greenbeard
08-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Not sure if "marmite" is the right description but for me the current player who has me switching most frequently between one minute hailing his brilliance and then next minute berating his shocking control, is Flo.

Northernhibee
08-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Liam Craig
Tom Taiwo

SunshineOnLeith
08-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Thomson or Ian Murray in terms of 'liking' a player.

Slivka in the sense that I often wonder if the guy behind me is watching the same game as he lays into him, again.

Radium
08-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Kevin Thomson.

You decide.

Goal line clearance at Tynecastle bought him full redemption in my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint Hibee
08-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Liam Craig
Tom Taiwo

Liam Craig sprang to my mind too.

hibbycraig
08-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Derek townsley. The amount of stick he got was unreal! Thought he was decent whenever he played.

bigwheel
08-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Ally Mcleoud laid back and lazy never tackled, but in the same game he would score a hattrick by placing the ball effortless into the top corner of the net from 30yards.

He was largely loved and respected in my recollection...

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2019, 10:55 AM
He was largely loved and respected in my recollection...

Remember versus Dundee scored a direct free kick the Ref told him to take it again “The wa wisnae ready” :confused: So he duly retook it and slotted it in the opposite corner

Genius!

:not worth

southern hibby
08-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Jarko Wiss

Just goes to show that folk do have have different opinions. I never rated him at all and think he was possibly the worst Hibs player ( that had an extended run of games in the team ) that I’ve seen.

GGTTH

Green Man
08-03-2019, 11:06 AM
Derek townsley. The amount of stick he got was unreal! Thought he was decent whenever he played.

I can barely remember anything about Townsley’s time with Hibs. My abiding memory of him was playing against us for Motherwell, he was through on goal, hit a shot with one foot, it came off his other foot and went wide.

easty
08-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Just goes to show that folk do have have different opinions. I never rated him at all and think he was possibly the worst Hibs player ( that had an extended run of games in the team ) that I’ve seen.

GGTTH

Not even close to being one of the worst. Nowhere near it. In my opinion obviously.

Smartie
08-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Very solid performances home and away against Hearts during the cup win should have seen him cemented in place as a club legend.

I'm pretty sure he referred to Sevco as "we" when commentating on our recent game with them. Yes, I know he's on their payroll, but there's still just a wee bit too much of the snakey Hun there that I can't let go of.

He even manages to polarise me both ways, let alone different groups of fans.

Smartie
08-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Not even close to being one of the worst. Nowhere near it. In my opinion obviously.

I agree with you.

He seems to have drawn some reaction from folk over the years though.

chrisski33
08-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Simon Brown....oops forgot noone liked him lol

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Yves MaKalambay

He was capable of some spectacular saves but he was ultimately pretty rubbish. There were a few who convinced themselves he was world class though; I reckon there's still a group of fans who think his decade in the wilderness (currently warming the bench at Wycombe after nearly 2 years out the game) is a temporary set back and Real Madrid will come calling any day.

The squad of guys I went to the games with at that time renamed him Macalamity!

Wont bother with a green grin

Wasnt funny at the time or now

thorbs
08-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Malonga

Or Efe. Sublime one minute then he'd do something to give you nightmares the next.

Keyser Sauzee
08-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Ally "Benny" Brazil.

Benny took a lot of stick from large sections of the support although he was a regular starter for years.

His "bohemian" looks stood him out from other players and, as s result, any errors he did make were always spotted and attributed to him.

However, he played under 5 managers and he could accurately aim a slide tackle from one side of the pitch to the other. :greengrin

He's definitely the one player who I liked one week, but who would frustrate the life out of me the next.

Surprised to read he played all 3 games in the 79 cup final. He was well before my time but anytime I had heard about him it was he was pish, couldn’t have been that bad tho to play for us for so long.

wookie70
08-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Brian Hamilton. Some would argue he was the key component in the midfield at the time but others would have him in worst of all time Hibs XI. Never any middle ground.

I agree he is one of the most marmite but he was never a key component of anything apart from a headless chicken race.

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Surprised to read he played all 3 games in the 79 cup final. He was well before my time but anytime I had heard about him it was he was pish, couldn’t have been that bad tho to play for us for so long.

Dunno once scored a hatrick versus Celtic could not have been all that bad and different Managers kept selecting him

:dunno:

Bostonhibby
08-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Surprised to read he played all 3 games in the 79 cup final. He was well before my time but anytime I had heard about him it was he was pish, couldn’t have been that bad tho to play for us for so long.Watched a lot of Benny. He was a very decent player. Never really understood the stick he sometimes got. Maybe it's because of the generation just before.

Not many got a hat trick against celtc on their CV.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

H18S NX
08-03-2019, 11:51 AM
"Benny" Brazil for me

SRHibs
08-03-2019, 11:54 AM

I vividly remember telling my friend who was at a game for the first ever time how **** DT was, only for him to gather the ball 25 yards from goal and proceed to rifle it into the top corner. Wasn’t exactly characteristic, to be fair.

Smartie
08-03-2019, 11:55 AM
I agree he is one of the most marmite but he was never a key component of anything apart from a headless chicken race.

195 appearances for us, a League cup winner with us and a Scottish Cup winners medal with St Mirren.

He used to frustrate the life out of me, but he was certainly an important part of our team during his time with us.

Whether he was a competent or decent one, or whether he should have been anywhere near being one is up for debate..........

heretoday
08-03-2019, 11:57 AM

He was a bit of a water carrier but he fitted in OK.
I always remember that thundering free kick in the Skol Cup final which hit the post with Andy Rhodes in mid-air, bless him!

By that time the Pars were scrambling. David Moyes played in that game.

worcesterhibby
08-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Nobody liked him, surely.

He took a good corner :wink:

Hibs Class
08-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Joe Harper, although that was partly down to the time he was brought into the club and who he replaced, so he was always going to struggle to win some fans over.

Seekyit
08-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Ally "Benny" Brazil.

My Auld Man never rated him but did say he had his best game for Hibs in the 2nd replay, from which that photo is taken.

Bishop Hibee
08-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Colin Nish has to be up there. For the record I liked him. Better than much of the guff that followed.

Hibs Class
08-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Dunno once scored a hatrick versus Celtic could not have been all that bad and different Managers kept selecting him

:dunno:

Think the hat trick was scored in a friendly arranged at short notice when we had about the only playable pitch in Britain, shortly after we'd installed under-soil heating.

BSEJVT
08-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Agree with this.

I really rated the guy and coincidentally was speaking to a Hearts Supporter earlier this week who did to.

But we weren't half in a small minority on both sides of the divide!

BSEJVT
08-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Joe Harper, although that was partly down to the time he was brought into the club and who he replaced, so he was always going to struggle to win some fans over.

Another good shout

I hated the wee fat git, but on reflection only because he signalled the end of the Tornadoes as they were.

His record with us isn't at all bad

Where's Doddie these days?

He always had a kind word to say about wee Joe :-)

Swedish hibee
08-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Yogi. Lennon gets praised for 5-5 and Yogi got slaughtered for 6-6.

ian cruise
08-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Fyvie was a cup winning legend and a key component of the midfield. Rankin worked hard but that was about it.

Agree about Fyvie, I'd have him our current midfield.

Rankin I always felt got a rough deal and would have looked better with better players around him but I now accept I possibly looked at it with green tinted glasses a little. Still don't agree he was as bad as some make out.

bigwheel
08-03-2019, 12:57 PM

.tbh I never really hear Yogi get stick for that - the goalie Smith on the other hand........

08-03-2019, 12:58 PM

We didn’t have to win the Motherwell game 6-0 to be fair

matty_f
08-03-2019, 01:01 PM
Moreso Alan Stubbs I would say. I think once everyone's calmed down a bit, there won't be many that'll say that NL was a bad manager, whereas Stubbs still gets stick for not getting us promoted.

I think it's mental that the manager that won us the Scottish Cup could be anything less than adored by the support, given our history with the competition.But you are right.

I'll never be convinced by any arguement that says he was a failure for us.

Stubbs did a great job, we were a bawhair away from 2 cups and promotion under him, and even though we came up short it shouldn't detract from his achievements.

Gave many of us the best day of our lives as well.

HoboHarry
08-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Stuart Lovell
He's Australian - he'd be Vegemite surely?

Smartie
08-03-2019, 01:05 PM
I think it's mental that the manager that won us the Scottish Cup could be anything less than adored by the support, given our history with the competition.But you are right.

I'll never be convinced by any arguement that says he was a failure for us.

Stubbs did a great job, we were a bawhair away from 2 cups and promotion under him, and even though we came up short it shouldn't detract from his achievements.

Gave many of us the best day of our lives as well.

I think the fact that we can be mixed about Stubbs says way more about us than it does about him.

Golden Bear
08-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Ally Mcleod is my pick. He was a genius in my eyes, a natural football player in the true sense of the word but let's just say he was "less appreciated" by many fans. I've had many heated terracing debates about the guy's abilities, the only thing I would concede is that he could be a wee touch lazy on occasions.

vercol36
08-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Chic Charnley :aok:

pacoluna
08-03-2019, 02:03 PM
.tbh I never really hear Yogi get stick for that - the goalie Smith on the other hand........

It's was the strikers fault for not helping defend as a unit 😂 after they had just scored 6 goals.

bigwheel
08-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Apologies if it has been said already.

How about James McPake. loved by many during the relegation threatened season ...never warmed to by many others ...

Viva_Palmeiras
08-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Barca and Real have Goats. (We’ll have FF and Gordon Smith)

We also have scape goats. That makes me an unhappy Hibee.

BigKev
08-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Alen Orman

Wonder strike at Ibrox apart I couldn’t take to him

givescotlandfreedom
08-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Good shout

GreenArmyyy!
08-03-2019, 02:28 PM

I’m yet to meet a sane human being who thought John Rankin was a good footballer. 😂

Daydreamer
08-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Stevenson as a midfield player and Stevenson as a left back. As a midfield player 1 good game out of 10 and 9 out of 10 as a left back.

MM19
08-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Remember versus Dundee scored a direct free kick the Ref told him to take it again “The wa wisnae ready” :confused: So he duly retook it and slotted it in the opposite corner

Genius!

:not worth

I'm sure Jimmy O'Rourke did something very similar against Falkirk at the Dunbar end. He took the free kick three times I think he just missed the first time and scored the other two when the ref made him retake it

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2019, 03:43 PM
I'm sure Jimmy O'Rourke did something very similar against Falkirk at the Dunbar end. He took the free kick three times I think he just missed the first time and scored the other two when the ref made him retake it

Sounds familiar

Squealing pig
08-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Paul Hartley
Stephen dobbie
Steven fletcher

Sean1875
08-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Marvin Bartley could be another one to fall into this category :agree:

SunshineOnLeith
08-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Never really bought this argument, he was the man on the post at a corner and it came right at him. I'm sure Mark Oxley made more difficult saves in that game.

Mibbes Aye
08-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Paul Hartley
Stephen dobbie
Steven fletcher

Fletcher is a good one, I recall a lot of division on here at the time. Given he has made a decent career for himself in England then I think that one is settled now.

Whittaker first time round was another, though it was maybe more divisive about whether he was RM or RB.

Of the previous posts, Lewis and Super Joe are the best examples for me. Super Joe preceded the rise of Internet forums and I can recall some heated and ugly scenes in the East when he used to play, with some fans on his back from the start and others compelled to stand up for him. Maybe it’s an LB thing though Graham Mitchell seems to be held in high regard, so it is perhaps just the passing of time :greengrin

As for Hartley, I think most of us thought he was pretty ineffectual, not bad but nothing special. Then he moved to Saints and got switched into a central role and all of a sudden he was lighting the place up. From memory, his best game for us was a home tie just after Christmas against Raith when we in the first, think he maybe got a couple, set up a couple? He was certainly on form that day.

Chip shop Joe
08-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Who on earth thought Brian Hamilton was the key component in our midfield? He was useless!

WestCoastHibby
08-03-2019, 04:57 PM

This. Always had a soft spot for Joe

Slavers
08-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Steven Thicot.

Cat Stanton
08-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Ally "Benny" Brazil.

Trophy-winner. As a bus driver...

Here’s Lucy!
Brazil and Nish for me.

Fanforlife
Who on earth thought Brian Hamilton was the key component in our midfield? He was useless!You are obviously entitled to your opinion, however I know for a fact how highly he was rated by his Teammates during his stay at Hibs,so think I will go with their opinion on this.😁

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Grant Holt.

Bobo
08-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Zambernardi for me, some thought the sun shone out his arse but I thought he was pretty poor and a 1 trick pony.

Bostonhibby
08-03-2019, 05:28 PM
I’m yet to meet a sane human being who thought John Rankin was a good footballer. [emoji23][emoji106] Rich man's Alan O'Brien.

beensaidbefore
08-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Ian/Ihun Murray

That one annoys me. Played for Hibs at every level and was even a ball boy. Hibs supporter through and through.

Sometimes people get an offer they can't refuse.

Barman Stanton
08-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Sol Bamba. I remember loads thinking he was a liability. Now playing in the EPL.

Here’s Lucy!
08-03-2019, 05:40 PM
That one annoys me. Played for Hibs at every level and was even a ball boy. Hibs supporter through and through.

:clapper:

Agreed. He was/is a real Hibby and doesn't deserve the reputation he has amassed due to taking a big move to the Hun. Not many folk would turn down a pay increase, let's be honest here.

beensaidbefore
08-03-2019, 05:43 PM
:clapper:

Agreed. He was/is a real Hibby and doesn't deserve the reputation he has amassed due to taking a big move to the Hun. Not many folk would turn down a pay increase, let's be honest here.

Spot on. And a considerable pay increase at that!

The Modfather
08-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Was it not more a result of his reaction at the end of the Sproule game at Ibrox that he became Ihun rather than just signing for Rangers? We were singing “Murray, what’s the score” and he gave us the finger.

One Day Soon
08-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Hurtado.

What. The. Actual. F***?

Mick O'Rourke
08-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Marmite
Either you love or hate it.

Now nothing to do with MY opinion on this guy.
But one player that certainly divided the fans was Joe Harper.
Not because he was a bad player.
He certainly was not.
But he became the "scapegoat" as Eddie Turnbull began to dismantle The Tornadoes.

A side, who in my opinion still had "unfinished business."

Joe came to Hibernian from Everton grossly overweight, yet he was Eddie's first name on the team sheet.
He did cost a few bob though.
Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon would be the sacrifice and eventually moved on.

That i suspect (no it was ) the main reason Joe never won all the fans round.

Marmite Manager ?

Has to be Alex Miller.

For me he was manager of Hibernian for far too long.
For many fans, because of Alex's long connection to a club that use to play at Ibrox.

Others for the "style" of football he wanted Hibernian to play.

I am in both those camps !

I remember someone pointing out to me (might have been Jimmy) that when we went a goal behind under Miller we rarely won games.

Yes, he presided over a League Cup triumph in the aftermath of one of our darkest periods.

And Alex had a good career when he left us.
Years coaching at Liverpool.
He did divide our fans though.

I think someone once said .....

"That Miller is so lucky if he fell down a siver (drain) he would come up with a lollypop !!

Probably me !

So that is my marmite sandwich.

Harper and Miller.

Brizo
08-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Brian "unseen work" Hamilton. Some folk thought he was the glue that held the midfield together, others thought those guys had been sniffing glue.

And yet Lexo and his team mates definitely rated him. Interesting difference between fans and players perspective

For me, he only seemed to start to impose himself on games just ahead of getting his move to Aberdeen.

beensaidbefore
08-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Was it not more a result of his reaction at the end of the Sproule game at Ibrox that he became Ihun rather than just signing for Rangers? We were singing “Murray, what’s the score” and he gave us the finger.

It could be mate. I'm not sure. If that was the case I could imagine him being hurt that the hibs fans sang that at him because of the fact he is such a big hibby. Not a great reaction by him though tbf.

Hibeesmad
08-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Isaiah Osbourne

stantonhibby
08-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Zambernardi for me, some thought the sun shone out his arse but I thought he was pretty poor and a 1 trick pony.

Ah.....those long diagonal passes to no one....and as for his defending in the 4-4....

Here’s Lucy!
08-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Spot on. And a considerable pay increase at that!

Bloody well bet it was!!

Here’s Lucy!
08-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Probably controversial but, I would suggest that Jason Cummings might come under the umbrella heading of 'marmite player".

He could be brilliant and then, next time out, it was like he wasn't on the park.

:duck:

TelaStella
08-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Steven Thicot.

Shudder

Onceinawhile
08-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Probably controversial but, I would suggest that Jason Cummings might come under the umbrella heading of 'marmite player".

He could be brilliant and then, next time out, it was like he wasn't on the park.

:duck:

That just means he's inconsistent.

He is marmite though some love him for his goals, some hate the fact the rest of his game wasn't well rounded.

Here’s Lucy!
08-03-2019, 06:16 PM
That just means he's inconsistent.

He is marmite though some love him for his goals, some hate the fact the rest of his game wasn't well rounded.

:aok: Good analogy.

hibee_girl
08-03-2019, 06:18 PM

My grandad loved him, he still occasionally mentions him and Freddie Arpinon!

hibsbollah
08-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Steven Thicot.

Best under 16 pedigree of any Hibs player, ever, probably. Never really made an impact in proper football, he's in Malaysia now.

Smartie
08-03-2019, 06:19 PM
bloody well ebt it was!!

ftfy

Smartie
08-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Ah.....those long diagonal passes to no one....and as for his defending in the 4-4....

He made me fall in love with the 80 yard diagonal punt up the hill and across the field from the LB position.

Paul Hanlon occasionally tries them, in a quaint and nostalgic sort of way.

Tomsk
08-03-2019, 06:36 PM

He was that much of a Hibs supporter he ran down his contract with the club so he could sign for Rangers. Rangers, mind. He then proceeded to rubbish Hibs just about every week including at one point claiming - his words, not mine - that he had lost his loyalty to the club when Hibs sacked Bobby Williamson (utter bull**** on so many levels).

I fully understand why people call him Ihun.

Cat Stanton
08-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Watched a lot of Benny. He was a very decent player. Never really understood the stick he sometimes got. Maybe it's because of the generation just before.

Not many got a hat trick against celtc on their CV.

But in classic Benny style, the hat-trick (against a full-strength Septic team) was in a friendly, with no telly there, and which not many saw (or now believe).

Cat Stanton
08-03-2019, 06:49 PM
Steven Thicot.

Of the classic defensive pairing, thicko and dicko.

(Thicot and Dickoh)

Northernhibee
08-03-2019, 06:58 PM
This season, Flo Kamberi. Some thinking that he's a quality player playing through an injury and badly, badly mismanaged and some thinking he was workshy etc. etc. etc.

I'm firmly 100% in the first group and I'd imagine more and more are moving from the second to the first.

Oli Shaw too.

Bostonhibby
08-03-2019, 06:58 PM
But in classic Benny style, the hat-trick (against a full-strength Septic team) was in a friendly, with no telly there, and which not many saw (or now believe).I was there and I didn't believe it.[emoji16]

Northernhibee
08-03-2019, 07:00 PM
In his final spell, Anthony Stokes too. Some willing to forgive him as he made himself a club legend, others thinking he was a shell of himself and a waste of a wage. Gutted he couldn't have ridden off into the Hibee sunset after 21st of May and removed any debate over it.

HibeeEmma
08-03-2019, 07:49 PM

That’s who I was thinking of, I thought he was an absolute nightmare

Greenbeard
08-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Not sure if "marmite" is the right description but for me the current player who has me switching most frequently between one minute hailing his brilliance and then next minute berating his shocking control, is Flo.
Replying to your own post smacks of ...something, dunno what. But like I said. By Christ was Flo's touch woeful for most of tonight but then the goal!

Iggy Pope
08-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Replying to your own post smacks of ...something, dunno what. But like I said. By Christ was Flo's touch woeful for most of tonight but then the goal!

Mid 2nd half when he broke down the left and the ball battered around both his ankles before he ran into the Hun I laughed loudly. I laughed louder when he scored though.

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2019, 11:09 PM
Brian "unseen work" Hamilton. Some folk thought he was the glue that held the midfield together, others thought those guys had been sniffing glue.

And yet Lexo and his team mates definitely rated him. Interesting difference between fans and players perspective

For me, he only seemed to start to impose himself on games just ahead of getting his move to Aberdeen.

:confused:

Left us to join the dark side across the city and then skipped down the leagues

As others have said a water carrier and a very much underrated player

A nicer guy you could not wish to meet

Scottish League Cup winning legend

A member of the team that would not die

:cup:

Galahibby
09-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Ulises de la Cruz

midfield_maestro
09-03-2019, 12:37 AM
Steven Fletcher. The most one footed footballer I have ever seen.

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2019, 03:34 AM
Ally "Benny" Brazil.

My dad actually uses 'Benny Brazil' as a swear word sometimes, as in "this thing's a pile of Benny Brazil". "Ainly thing worse than his fitba was his coupon", is his standard line. :greengrin

EdinMike
09-03-2019, 03:57 AM
Marc Libbra had his off and on days.

tonyrougier123
09-03-2019, 04:13 AM
Tony Rougier for me. One week unplayable, the next anonymous.

😎

beensaidbefore
09-03-2019, 11:57 AM
He was that much of a Hibs supporter he ran down his contract with the club so he could sign for Rangers. Rangers, mind. He then proceeded to rubbish Hibs just about every week including at one point claiming - his words, not mine - that he had lost his loyalty to the club when Hibs sacked Bobby Williamson (utter bull**** on so many levels).

I fully understand why people call him Ihun.

Are you suggesting he isn't a Hibs supporter? He has done more for the club than you and I put together.

supermcginn
09-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Marc Libbra had his off and on days.

Did he? He was quality, gutted we couldnt keep him permanently.

Tomsk
09-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Are you suggesting he isn't a Hibs supporter? He has done more for the club than you and I put together.

I'm suggesting his reputation as a Hibs supporter is debatable and his record of what he 'has done' for Hibs is at best patchy.

hibsbollah
09-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Steven Fletcher. The most one footed footballer I have ever seen.

I was speaking to my cousin today, hes a Wednesday fan and he says Fletch is on great form and is partly responsible for them getting close to the playoff spot now. Hes had a very successful career, moved for big money a number of times and has changed his game to become a quality target man instead of a willowy midfielder/wide man where he was played early on.

Brizo
09-03-2019, 04:40 PM
:confused:

Left us to join the dark side across the city and then skipped down the leagues

As others have said a water carrier and a very much underrated player

A nicer guy you could not wish to meet

Scottish League Cup winning legend

A member of the team that would not die

:cup:

My fault, knew he went to them but for some reason thought he went to Dons before going there.

However our (and others) very contrasting views of him certainly puts him in the "marmite" mould :aok:

weedgiehibbie
09-03-2019, 04:47 PM

:agree: Perhaps my main "cult hero" at Hibs for some bizarre reason, which may explain the other side of the marmite argument

Peevemor
09-03-2019, 06:16 PM
I was there and I didn't believe it.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using TapatalkI was there too (old North enclosure). The third was a penalty IIRC.

beensaidbefore
09-03-2019, 06:37 PM
I'm suggesting his reputation as a Hibs supporter is debatable and his record of what he 'has done' for Hibs is at best patchy.

OK, fair dos. Lets agree to disagree.

BoomtownHibees
09-03-2019, 06:52 PM
Hurtado.

What. The. Actual. F***?

Surely nobody thought he was a player??

Iggy Pope
09-03-2019, 07:08 PM

What has he done for the club that outweighs whatever you or Tomsk have done? Unless both of you have done very little.
I know I’ve bought more Season Tickets and programmes and pies and scarves, shirts and badges and been to more away games than him, more reseve games, development games, East of Scotland Shield and Euro and friendly games than him. I’ve been on more Hibs buses, trains, cars, planes and automobiles than him. And boats. I threw more into HOH than him, been to more AGMs than him and died a thousand deaths more than him. Liked him as a player for us, but ....

What’s he done for the club apart from sign for us twice, leave us twice, earn good money and win nowt? Dying your hair for a game at Tynie doesn’t count mind.
He is marmite if ever there was one.

erin go bragh
10-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Colin Nish 🤔

BILLYHIBS
10-03-2019, 09:34 PM
What has he done for the club that outweighs whatever you or Tomsk have done? Unless both of you have done very little.
I know I’ve bought more Season Tickets and programmes and pies and scarves, shirts and badges and been to more away games than him, more reseve games, development games, East of Scotland Shield and Euro and friendly games than him. I’ve been on more Hibs buses, trains, cars, planes and automobiles than him. And boats. I threw more into HOH than him, been to more AGMs than him and died a thousand deaths more than him. Liked him as a player for us, but ....

What’s he done for the club apart from sign for us twice, leave us twice, earn good money and win nowt? Dying your hair for a game at Tynie doesn’t count mind.
He is marmite if ever there was one.

Ian Murray is as much a HIBS supporter as you or I

He was at the 2016 Scottish Cup Final with his two sons in the HIBS end

He has played 253 games for our great club scoring 13 goals some of them as Captain

He only played 43 games for Rangers before being transferred to Norwich City before heading back home

He always gave 100% for HIBS the club he supported as a boy

He was a very good player for us and never let us down no matter what position he was asked to play in fact I am struggling to remember him ever having a bad game for us

I would say that he deserves our respect and would suggest that there are other players in my fifty years of watching HIBS that are more marmite than Ian Murray

GGTTH

Bangkok Hibby
10-03-2019, 09:47 PM
There was a forward in the very early seventies called Jim Blair. Came with a big reputation from St Mirren and sold back to them after one season. He did score against Malmo in that fantastic 6-0 and had a great game against Rangers (possibly a hat-trick) but a huge disappointment otherwise