PDA

View Full Version : 21/5/16 - A Different Ending.

The Pointer
06-03-2019, 11:53 PM
I was reading something about the Cup Final and the thought occurred to me, what would have happened if SDG had scored at the other end?

The fans' reaction would undoubtedly have been the same, but how would it have panned out?

houstonhibbee
07-03-2019, 12:11 AM
You mean an og?

-Jonesy-
07-03-2019, 12:17 AM
You mean an og?

😂😂

Archie70
07-03-2019, 12:55 AM
When I watch it I wonder
How it would have been if Keatings had got on the end of it when Fotheringham parried it out from Stokes shot.
Would Lewis ever have recovered if his shove had cost us a penalty.
If the ref had gave that last free kick in their favour and one last chance.
If Fyvie had chose to play it instead of letting it go for a corner.
The list goes on.
No matter how many times I watch it I still wait for the linesmans flag to go up...but it never...the rest as they say is history....we could have had so many different endings in the past but not this time...this time was our time.

jockodile
07-03-2019, 02:41 AM
When I watch it I wonder
How it would have been if Keatings had got on the end of it when Fotheringham parried it out from Stokes shot.
The list goes on.
No matter how many times I watch it I still wait for the linesmans flag to go up...but it never...the rest as they say is history....we could have had so many different endings in the past but not this time...this time was our time.

That overhit pass from Barry Mckay deep into stoppage time was huge. Had that stayed in Rangers were in behind us.To have been cup final pretenders for 60 seconds would have been the ultimate gut wrench.

The cheer as that ran out for a goal kick was enormous.

Forza Fred
07-03-2019, 03:42 AM
When I watch it I wonder
The list goes on.

I've always wondered how Lewis never got a penalty against him for his two handed shove on Waghorn.

Even I saw it..... and I was watching in Sydney...a lot further away than the referee was ..:wink:

BILLYHIBS
07-03-2019, 05:29 AM
I was reading something about the Cup Final and the thought occurred to me, what would have happened if SDG had scored at the other end?

The fans' reaction would undoubtedly have been the same, but how would it have panned out?

Stop it!

Happened to us back in 1979 when Arthur Duncan scored a late og late into extra time in the second replay at the end of a marathon Scottish Cup Final versus Rangers to make it 2-3

George Stewart said to me that Arthur Duncan apologised to him immediately after the goal George told him not to worry about it but said he felt like knocking his block off :greengrin

2016 was our time

What took you HIBS?

Since452
07-03-2019, 06:30 AM
If our winner had been scripted it couldn't have been better. A bullet header from our captain in injury time at the Hibs end. Must be the the most iconic Scottish cup goal of all time. Still find it incredible.

Hibeesmad
07-03-2019, 07:03 AM
Also think about how sitting in a different part of the stadium could have affected the experience, thankfully everything planned out perfectly

Wakeyhibee
07-03-2019, 07:30 AM
Stop it!

Happened to us back in 1979 when Arthur Duncan scored a late og late into extra time in the second replay at the end of a marathon Scottish Cup Final versus Rangers to make it 2-3

George Stewart said to me that Arthur Duncan apologised to him immediately after the goal George told him not to worry about it but said he felt like knocking his block off :greengrin

2016 was our time

What took you HIBS?

That was a real gut wrencher. Was a young lad with my old man. TBF to Arthur Duncan I seem to remember two Rangers forwards behind him he had to go for it under pressure. I could be wrong it's a long time ago.

2016 more than made up for it :)

Sammy7nil
07-03-2019, 08:23 AM
Stop it!

2016 was our time

What took you HIBS?

The story goes Hibs fans in the police cell asked the score the Police officer told them 3 - 2 Duncan scored the winner :agree: Hibs fans partied the night away in the cells. :greengrin

we are hibs
07-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Gray could have very easily went off the park as he took a knock about 5 minutes before scoring. He epitomises the commitment and sheer will to win every single player showed that day. We were never losing that final. I know it's easy to say after the event but I was so confident before the game we would win it. The ross county final was the complete opposite and I had a horrible feeling all week beforehand.

I often wonder what would've happened had marciano scored that header a year later against Aberdeen to make it 3-3 or Fontaine scored the overhead at the end of the county final.

BILLYHIBS
07-03-2019, 08:31 AM
The story goes Hibs fans in the police cell asked the score the Police officer told them 3 - 2 Duncan scored the winner :agree: Hibs fans partied the night away in the cells. :greengrin

Aye it was s*#& being a Hibby back then typical Glesga Polis! :greengrin

04Sauzee
07-03-2019, 08:36 AM
If the ref had blown up for a foul on McGinn just as he plays it to Cummings. I'm sure the ref is going to blow then decides on advantage. What an advantage as Stokes goes on to score.

Waxy
07-03-2019, 11:43 AM
If JC hadnt have looped that header in a the pbs?

Northernhibee
07-03-2019, 02:28 PM
What would have happened if Stubbsy went on form and started Keatings over Jason or Stokes?

Here’s Lucy!
07-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Brilliant!!

:faf:

Here’s Lucy!
07-03-2019, 02:46 PM
What would have happened if Stubbsy went on form and started Keatings over Jason or Stokes?

We wouldn't have won, that's what!

Stokes was the match winner that day for sure.:gwa:

Since452
07-03-2019, 02:49 PM
What if Sir David had hair and the ball didn't make such a clean connection off his napper?

hibby6270
07-03-2019, 02:52 PM
I always wonder what would have happened if Fyvie hadn’t delayed his pass to Stokes before his eventual shot was saved and went out for “that corner” to be delivered.
Would Stokes have had less time?
Would he have tried a shot earlier and blazed it wide instead of their keeper saving it?
Or even better would he have scored and got his hat trick, thereby denying SDG of his glory moment? That would have led to SAS btw!!

HibeeHibernian4
07-03-2019, 02:59 PM
That would have led to SAS btw!!

Something tells me that Anthony Stokes isn't a fan of the SAS. :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
07-03-2019, 03:01 PM

When did Keatings hit form like?! :wink:

The boy couldn't even run the right way at the celebration :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Legend!!

Here’s Lucy!
07-03-2019, 03:14 PM
When did Keatings hit form like?! :wink:

The boy couldn't even run the right way at the celebration :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Legend!!

And that tattoo!

:cb

SouthMoroccoStu
07-03-2019, 03:39 PM
And that tattoo!

:cb

I like Kyle Lafferty's more

Nice of him to acknowledge it :greengrin

OstKurve Hibs
07-03-2019, 03:58 PM
when I watch it again I still **** myself when millers header smacks the crossbar at 1 all !

The 90+2
07-03-2019, 04:06 PM
If the ref had blown up for a foul on McGinn just as he plays it to Cummings. I'm sure the ref is going to blow then decides on advantage. What an advantage as Stokes goes on to score.

Yeah I was screaming for the foul. Then went radge then thought we had scored too soon.

What would have happened if the boy next to me said he thought he was our cup final jinx then went for a slash 2-1 down 😂😂

The 90+2
07-03-2019, 04:07 PM
when I watch it again I still **** myself when millers header smacks the crossbar at 1 all !

Stokes off the post too.

How many times has miller been free in the box and scores. Surreal.

OstKurve Hibs
07-03-2019, 04:07 PM

Famous Fiver
07-03-2019, 04:09 PM
If David Gray had scored at the other end it would have been 4 - 2 , surely?

The 90+2
07-03-2019, 04:40 PM

It’s amazing because it’s that game you start off watching all happy then get into it and rage when they equalise and that cross comes in for Miller (where’s the defence by the way) you get that into into you do think he will score and it’s always a complete sense of relief. Then it’s a **** yourself job until Stokes scores even then the corrupt Lino doesn’t give a fowl for a (non) push when would that usually happen. Then it’s cigar time (or a punt if you dinnae like that like me) 😃

The 90+2
07-03-2019, 04:41 PM
If David Gray had scored at the other end it would have been 4 - 2 , surely?

Nah 3-2 Stokes winner 👍

Northernhibee
07-03-2019, 07:22 PM
What if the only goal of the game was Stokes' opener in the first five minutes? How much poo would have been produced in the second half amongst Hibs fans?

Eyrie
07-03-2019, 08:28 PM
Stokes off the post too.

How many times has miller been free in the box and scores. Surreal.

The first one for me.

I still can't believe the ball doesn't go in when it rolls across the face of their goal.

HibeeHibernian4
07-03-2019, 09:23 PM
What if the only goal of the game was Stokes' opener in the first five minutes? How much poo would have been produced in the second half amongst Hibs fans?

I would've probably fainted and I'm not kidding. Holding out for the 1-0 in the derby replay in the 5th Round nearly finished me off, to hold on for the Scottish Cup? There'd have been deaths.

Col2
07-03-2019, 09:31 PM
It’s not just the game itself.

I look back at the quarter final replay, 3 days after losing a league cup final in the last minute and then holding out for a 2-1 win. Our goalie gets booked for time wasting but in fact he lost a contact lens!!!!

A contact lens!!!! What are the chances?!? If he had played in the semi there is no chance we would have got through given Conrad Logan performance and the fact that were were really poor as a team.

The Pointer
07-03-2019, 10:01 PM
I told my daughter to remember what happened where she was behind the goals to the left and not the views on tv, videos, You Tube etc. That's the special memory.

I wonder if it would have been different if I hadn't bought a programme, which I never do, or the car load of Huns hadn't given me the forks at Pollockshields on the way to Hampden.

In any case, SDG having scored at the far end would have had to run an awful long way to celebrate properly which would have delayed the kick off even more than it did. Jeez it was and still is nailbiting!

Smartie
08-03-2019, 08:04 AM
I think it would have been better if David Gray had scored for us at their end, jumped into their end celebrating and the mother of all goadings started 2 minutes earlier.

Crazyhorse
08-03-2019, 09:09 AM
It’s amazing because it’s that game you start off watching all happy then get into it and rage when they equalise and that cross comes in for Miller (where’s the defence by the way) you get that into into you do think he will score and it’s always a complete sense of relief. Then it’s a **** yourself job until Stokes scores even then the corrupt Lino doesn’t give a fowl for a (non) push when would that usually happen. Then it’s cigar time (or a punt if you dinnae like that like me) 😃

The Lino chickened out of that one for sure...

WeeRussell
08-03-2019, 12:29 PM

I don't see that it would have been any different other than the players wouldn't have been 'amongst' the fans in their celebration of the goal... and maybe Gray wouldn't have got booked. We'd still have been on the pitch 5 minutes later.

Hibs1969
08-03-2019, 12:56 PM
If SDG had scored at the zombie end, I wouldn’t be able to see me & my son celebrating behind the goals as the ball hit the back of the net.

And like others on here, I still can’t work out why the ref didn’t give a penalty for Lewis’ shove on Waghorn. It was certainly more of a penalty than the one Man Utd got the other night.

Northernhibee
08-03-2019, 06:56 PM
What if we won 3-0, two from Stokes and one from Gray at the same times? Knowing for a lot of the game that we were winning the cup but not having the last minute drama? Would the pitch invasion have happened? Would things be as special if that was the case?

HibeeHibernian4
08-03-2019, 07:09 PM
What if we won 3-0, two from Stokes and one from Gray at the same times? Knowing for a lot of the game that we were winning the cup but not having the last minute drama? Would the pitch invasion have happened? Would things be as special if that was the case?

A lot of people I know were insistent they were going on that pitch no matter how the game was won. I personally wouldn’t have gone on if it wasn’t for the last minute emotion of it all. But I did. No regrets!

SChibs
08-03-2019, 07:28 PM
I'm still convinced THAT moment could only have been better in one situation...

Henderson lines up the corner but by this time Conrad Logan has already started sprinting up the field and as the ball comes over Logan, without breaking stride, let's the ball smack off his belly before hitting the back of the net. He then continues his perfectly timed run towards the wild celebrations in the stands.

Northernhibee
08-03-2019, 07:59 PM
I'm still convinced THAT moment could only have been better in one situation...

Henderson lines up the corner but by this time Conrad Logan has already started sprinting up the field and as the ball comes over Logan, without breaking stride, let's the ball smack off his belly before hitting the back of the net. He then continues his perfectly timed run towards the wild celebrations in the stands.
I’d like to think that all the Rangers players run into each other and fall over, injured. The ball is with Lewis Stevenson, three yards out who drops, does ten press ups and then backheels the ball into an empty net.