PDA

View Full Version : New rules coming into play from next season

The 90+2
06-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Didn't see this mentioned already:

Managers to get yellow and red cards.
No opposition players allowed in defensive walls.
Accidental handball goals now won't be given.
And players leave the side of the pitch they are on when called to be sub.

Surely the most controversial one after all that's been happening is the sub one. Imagine an old firm player going off at the other side of the pitch all the time. :confused:

matty_f
06-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Surely the most controversial one after all that's been happening is the sub one. Imagine an old firm player going off at the other side of the pitch all the time. :confused:

I thought the sub one was sensible - you see teams time-wasting all the time where the sub is made and the player coming off makes sure he's on the furthest away side to run the clock down. Now the ref can tell him to leave the pitch where he is and the sub can come on.

The handballed goals are going to cause some stir, though.

hibbycraig
06-03-2019, 01:44 PM
If the ball hits your arm/hand it should be a foul regardless if it's accidental or not.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2019, 01:45 PM
If the ball hits your arm/hand it should be a foul regardless if it's accidental or not.

In La Liga its an automatic booking regardless if its accidental or not.

The 90+2
06-03-2019, 01:45 PM
I thought the sub one was sensible - you see teams time-wasting all the time where the sub is made and the player coming off makes sure he's on the furthest away side to run the clock down. Now the ref can tell him to leave the pitch where he is and the sub can come on.

The handballed goals are going to cause some stir, though.

Player comes off in a derby behind the goal at the away end then has to go past the other dugout to get to his, could end up carnage. Time wasting should = cancellation of sub and the guy coming off stays off.

BoomtownHibees
06-03-2019, 01:49 PM

What I have always thought is that if the rule states that it needs to be “deliberate” for a handball to be given, then every handball should be a booking as that rule states a deliberate handball is a yellow card offence

calumhibee1
06-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Where did you see all this? They all sound good to me :agree:

proud_and_green
06-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Player comes off in a derby behind the goal at the away end then has to go past the other dugout to get to his, could end up carnage. Time wasting should = cancellation of sub and the guy coming off stays off.Is behind the goals an end or also a side?That said even if it is just sides then a player may have to walk past opposition fans particularly if they are the away team.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Since452
06-03-2019, 02:12 PM
Sub one is ridiculous and asking for trouble at places like Tynecastle. Is this a Scottish football thing or are we just copying England again?

HibeeHibernian4
06-03-2019, 02:14 PM
Sub one is ridiculous and asking for trouble at places like Tynecastle. Is this a Scottish football thing or are we just copying England again?

It’s an IFAB thing, who govern the laws of the game. I don’t think the sub one will be getting applied in heated derbies, more your run of the mill games.

Keith_M
06-03-2019, 02:22 PM

The one in bold makes no sense. Did you pick that up wrong?

Diclonius
06-03-2019, 02:23 PM
McInnes will be raging about the sub one, Aberdeen will probably lose about 10 points per season because of that.

Keith_M
06-03-2019, 02:29 PM
McInnes will be raging about the sub one, Aberdeen will probably lose about 10 points per season because of that.

Dragging the ar5e out of leaving the pitch should be an automatic booking.

I'd also add standing in front of a guy whose trying to take a thow-in or free kick, throwing yourself to the ground as soon as somebody even lays a finger on you... and being an Aberdeen or Hearts player (which obviously implies being a total rat).

HFC_NYC
06-03-2019, 02:48 PM
The one in bold makes no sense. Did you pick that up wrong?

I'm with you on this one. What's an accidental hadball goal?

Hibbyradge
06-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Is it true that rebounds from penalties won't be allowed anymore?

Hibbyradge
06-03-2019, 02:53 PM

I think you'll be able to count the number of times that happens in the next 10 years on one hand.

Once it beds in, referees will administer the law sensibly. It's designed to stop time wasting, not for putting players at risk.

bigwheel
06-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Is it true that rebounds from penalties won't be allowed anymore?

No

Hibbyradge
06-03-2019, 02:54 PM
That's what they were talking about on The Debate the other night.

It seemed like a daft idea.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi63YyD4-3gAhXkBGMBHXxvCpEQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootb all%2Fnews%2Fpremier-league-penalty-rule-not-14089545&psig=AOvVaw1ULbZzv_Kj1OQ03sqLdPeQ&ust=1551970565010672

hibee62
06-03-2019, 02:58 PM

I think they ditched that after 1 season because of the number of red cards...?

BoomtownHibees
06-03-2019, 02:59 PM
I'm with you on this one. What's an accidental hadball goal?

It’s fairly straight-forward. If a striker accidentally scores with his hand it now won’t be given

heretoday
06-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Re the sub one - can't the ref just stop the clock till the substitution is complete?
Better than risking players running the gauntlet of slavering huns and jambos.

FatPat
06-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Think they missed the goal on this one - the 2 new laws I would have brought in are

An injured player - medic is allowed onto the pitch and play continues unless serious injury. If play is stopped player must remain off the pitch for 1-2 minutes. This would cut out play acting / fake injuries.

2nd one more contentious - Orange or whatever colour you wanted for 2nd booking and a period in a sin bin. As long as not for serious foul play, denying a clear goal scoring opportunity in that case its a red.

worcesterhibby
06-03-2019, 03:06 PM
how does the "no attackers in the wall" thing work...how close do you have to be to be "in" the wall ? If you stand 6 inches in front of the wall are you still in it ? or 6 inches to one side ? confused.

houstonhibbee
06-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Not Retreating 10 yards at a free kick should either be an automatic yellow or penalized another 10 yards and if it means a penalty then sobeit

houstonhibbee
06-03-2019, 03:09 PM
how does the "no attackers in the wall" thing work...how close do you have to be to be "in" the wall ? If you stand 6 inches in front of the wall are you still in it ? or 6 inches to one side ? confused.

Needs to be better defined

houstonhibbee
06-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Also thought at a bye kick if the defender goes into the box to get the ball it's fair game rather than a retake

Jonnyboy
06-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Needs to be better defined

As I understand it an attacking player must be no closer than 1 metre from the wall.

One change I’d like to see is that if a player has to go off after treatment, the player that fouled him should also go off. The current rule means the ‘wronged’ team are penalised by going down to ten men.

RyeSloan
06-03-2019, 03:56 PM
As I understand it an attacking player must be no closer than 1 metre from the wall.

One change I’d like to see is that if a player has to go off after treatment, the player that fouled him should also go off. The current rule means the ‘wronged’ team are penalised by going down to ten men.

That would just lead to more players needing treatment.

The idea of a player needing to go off was to try and reduce the amount of times the physio was called on. I think it’s worked to some degree.

Maybe they just need to tweak the rule about how the player is allowed back on, seems to take an age sometimes.

RyeSloan
06-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Also thought at a bye kick if the defender goes into the box to get the ball it's fair game rather than a retake

It’s a bit of an odd rule that the offence is ‘punished’ by a simple retake.

Either there needs to be some sort of proper punishment (free kick to the opposition or the like) or they should just scrap the rule altogether.

Diclonius
06-03-2019, 04:05 PM
Dragging the ar5e out of leaving the pitch should be an automatic booking.

I don't understand why it isn't already. Probably because the masters of gamesmanship Barca and Real use it all the time (as well as screaming at the ref for literally everything).

I remember a derby at Tynie a few years ago where they were winning and the Greek full back Fyssas got subbed off in what was his last home appearance for them. He turned it into an impromptu ****ing leaving party, going round shaking the hands of all the players near him and not even attempting to walk towards the dugout. Not so much as a warning.

Hibbyradge
06-03-2019, 04:09 PM

It's a retake.

If it keeps happening, the defender can be booked for wasting time.

McSwanky
06-03-2019, 04:58 PM
The sub one shouldn't be needed.

4th official knows when the board goes up. If the player isn't off within 15 seconds of that happening, they get sent off and the sub doesn't come on. Simples.

A lot of these p***y behavioural issues could be easily killed stone dead by having a clear rule with draconian punishment.

Approach/address the ref when you're not explicitly asked to do so? (Maybe excluding the captain?) Red card
dicking about when you're getting subbed? Red card
Goalies timewasting in the last 10 minutes? (Put a time limit on it!) Red card

As long as a definite parameter can be put on it, apply the punishment every time and it will soon stop.

Diving and the likes is more difficult given that it's a bit more subjective, but there are easy wins for time wasting and bad behaviour IMO.

hibbycraig
06-03-2019, 05:04 PM

4th official knows when the board goes up. If the player isn't off within 15 seconds of that happening, they get sent off and the sub doesn't come on. Simples.

A lot of these p***y behavioural issues could be easily killed stone dead by having a clear rule with draconian punishment.

Approach/address the ref when you're not explicitly asked to do so? (Maybe excluding the captain?) Red card

As long as a definite parameter can be put on it, apply the punishment every time and it will soon stop.

Diving and the likes is more difficult given that it's a bit more subjective, but there are easy wins for time wasting and bad behaviour IMO.

I've always said the refs should be in the changing rooms before games saying if anyone gives me abuse, comes running up shouting at me you're getting booked. After the first couple yellow cards it would stop instantly.

SCHAEDYSHORTS
06-03-2019, 05:32 PM
I've always said the refs should be in the changing rooms before games saying if anyone gives me abuse, comes running up shouting at me you're getting booked. After the first couple yellow cards it would stop instantly.

No more Graeme Shinnie then 🤔

Billy Whizz
06-03-2019, 05:37 PM

If 5/6 players stand a metre in front of the wall, wall behind will not see anything. Wonder why we’ve never tried that before

Diclonius
06-03-2019, 06:20 PM

I suspect that selective punishment of gamesmanship is how a lot of the elite teams squeeze through in continental knockout competitions when they're not playing particularly well, and UEFA/FIFA won't act on it because of this.

Keith_M
06-03-2019, 06:28 PM
It’s fairly straight-forward. If a striker accidentally scores with his hand it now won’t be given

So if somebody takes a shot and and it hits a teammate on the hand on the way in to the goal, are they're going to give a free-kick?

Hibbyradge
06-03-2019, 06:32 PM
So if somebody takes a shot and and it hits a teammate on the hand on the way in to the goal, are they're going to give a free-kick?

If it's a goal, then yes.

Keith_M
06-03-2019, 06:43 PM
If it's a goal, then yes.

Wow!

That's going to cause a few controversial moments.

HibeeMackenzie
06-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Wish people would realise they changed the offside rule last season so that the foul is committed when the player touches or attempts to touch the ball, so the free kick can be taken in the other half. Countless times this happens and the same folk in the stands are going me tal

houstonhibbee
06-03-2019, 07:39 PM
It’s a bit of an odd rule that the offence is ‘punished’ by a simple retake.

Either there needs to be some sort of proper punishment (free kick to the opposition or the like) or they should just scrap the rule altogether.
From what we understand what I said will apply

tamig
06-03-2019, 07:52 PM
If 5/6 players stand a metre in front of the wall, wall behind will not see anything. Wonder why we’ve never tried that before

Because they would be creating a closer wall to the free kick taker making it even harder for him to get the ball “up and down”.

houstonhibbee
06-03-2019, 07:55 PM
It's a retake.

If it keeps happening, the defender can be booked for wasting time.

Yes currently but it's going to change to being fair game

RyeSloan
06-03-2019, 08:09 PM

So in other words they are scrapping the law that the ball needs to go out of the box before its touched by another player?

Carheenlea
06-03-2019, 08:17 PM
Wish people would realise they changed the offside rule last season so that the foul is committed when the player touches or attempts to touch the ball, so the free kick can be taken in the other half. Countless times this happens and the same folk in the stands are going me tal

I blew a gasket at ER when this happened last season, and was still sufficiently enraged a couple of hours later to post at home about a new low for our refereeing standards. Until someone posted to inform of the new rule. :doh:

brianmc
06-03-2019, 08:46 PM
So in other words they are scrapping the law that the ball needs to go out of the box before its touched by another player?

Yes. That's exactly it.

RyeSloan
06-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Yes. That's exactly it.

Sheesh dunno why Houston just didn’t say that in the first place, would have helped slow folk like me understand that bit quicker [emoji23]

Anyway seems an eminently sensible rule change to me.

Sammy7nil
06-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Sheesh dunno why Houston just didn’t say that in the first place, would have helped slow folk like me understand that bit quicker [emoji23]

It will mean Man City and Barca players pick the ball up in the six yard box to build from the back :greengrin

calumhibee1
06-03-2019, 09:00 PM
I blew a gasket at ER when this happened last season, and was still sufficiently enraged a couple of hours later to post at home about a new low for our refereeing standards. Until someone posted to inform of the new rule. :doh:

Likewise. :greengrin

I was convinced our referees had arrived at the most mind blowing level of incompetency possible.

Hibbyradge
06-03-2019, 09:00 PM

Ah right I hadn't read that.

That's a good change, I think.

Hibbyradge
06-03-2019, 09:01 PM

It can only be touched in the box by a player in the defending team, no?

RyeSloan
06-03-2019, 09:24 PM

A wee bit of googling has not confirmed this one way or the other.

Seems like opposition players will need to be outside the box when the kick is taken but are then free to enter immediately after...I assume then that they will be free to intercept it prior to a defender touching it.

Not sure the actual rules have been written yet so while I think it’s a stick on to be changed there appears to be a lack of precise detail as to exactly how.

bigwheel
06-03-2019, 09:33 PM
I’m a traditionalist....no idea why they are tweaking some of these laws of the game ...they’ve worked for a long time...

Billy Whizz
06-03-2019, 09:41 PM
I’m a traditionalist....no idea why they are tweaking some of these laws of the game ...they’ve worked for a long time...

Think some players have learned how to abuse them
Removing days gone by, defender would throw back to the goalie topick up, and waste time
As an amateur footballer for many years, even I’m confused with the offside law now, anyone else

bigwheel
06-03-2019, 09:45 PM
Think some players have learned how to abuse them
Removing days gone by, defender would throw back to the goalie topick up, and waste time
As an amateur footballer for many years, even I’m confused with the offside law now, anyone else

Yes. The old days were Jim Herriot could pick up the ball is probably best left in the memory bank

Offside - That’s one that seems much more complex ...

must be very near impossible for amateur ref with no linesman to manage these new rules

Not sure I understand the first and second phase stuff which is part of these rules

Saturday Boy
06-03-2019, 09:54 PM
I think many fans forget that the ref and linos are miked up. We can’t hear them at Easter Road, but when you’re at a lower level game, you will hear the linesman say “offside” without putting the flag up, until the player goes for the ball.

That doesn’t excuse myopic linesmen or generally **** referees

Hibbyradge
06-03-2019, 10:42 PM

That's worth a thread of its own ...

danhibees1875
06-03-2019, 11:00 PM

We have, I think. I'm sure we had 2 players stand in front of the ball - about 2 yards - and then peel away at the last second. I'm not sure if there is any benefit to it though.

houstonhibbee
07-03-2019, 12:09 AM

You need to think inside the box now

houstonhibbee
07-03-2019, 12:18 AM

No
Players have to be outside the box when the kick is taken
If the ball doesn't go outside the box and the defender doesn't go inside the box to play it then t's retaken
Only if the defend r goes in the box to play it then so can the attacker challenge for it
That's the new rule for next season

RyeSloan
07-03-2019, 12:18 AM
You need to think inside the box now

[emoji23][emoji106]

Hibbyradge
07-03-2019, 10:25 AM
No
Players have to be outside the box when the kick is taken
If the ball doesn't go outside the box and the defender doesn't go inside the box to play it then t's retaken
Only if the defend r goes in the box to play it then so can the attacker challenge for it
That's the new rule for next season

I think that's what I meant.

The ball can not be touched by an attacker in the box, unless it has first been played by a defender.

If a defender doesn't touch it in the box, it's not live till it goes outside.

Stairway 2 7
07-03-2019, 10:33 AM
I think that's what I meant.

The ball can not be touched by an attacker in the box, unless it has first been played by a defender.

If a defender doesn't touch it in the box, it's not live till it goes outside.

If it stops on the 6 yard line and defenders refuse to touch it do we wait until full time?

GreenCastle
07-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Think they missed the goal on this one - the 2 new laws I would have brought in are

An injured player - medic is allowed onto the pitch and play continues unless serious injury. If play is stopped player must remain off the pitch for 1-2 minutes. This would cut out play acting / fake injuries.

2nd one more contentious - Orange or whatever colour you wanted for 2nd booking and a period in a sin bin. As long as not for serious foul play, denying a clear goal scoring opportunity in that case its a red.

Agreed - too many stoppages for FAKE injuries. Physio should be allowed on to treat or even roll on off sub if player hobbles off. Unless serious injury play stopped. Though an injury in penalty box would be an issue.

Sin bin - 10 mins - for deliberate fouls that are worse than yellow but not red.

Refs should have microphone on so fans at home and in stadium can hear what’s been said with decisions. Would help clear up some farcical decisions we seem to see regularly and make it more entertaining. Players would have to behave better - less swearing. Which makes better role models.

Hibbyradge
07-03-2019, 12:28 PM
If it stops on the 6 yard line and defenders refuse to touch it do we wait until full time?

:greengrin

It's the future.

Danderhall Hibs
07-03-2019, 12:44 PM

I thought you’d found a new way to time waste but I re read the thread and it says in your scenario it’d be a retake.