PDA

View Full Version : Scotland U17/U19/U21 Squads - Lack of Hibernian Players

Brummie_Hibs
06-03-2019, 09:55 AM
We have two players in the U21 Squad, but nothing in the U19 or U17's. I was kind of expecting that, with Academy, to see lots of potential youth coming through, but this doesn't seem the case. A bit disappointing - any reasons why?

leith_hibs
06-03-2019, 10:37 AM
We have two players in the U21 Squad, but nothing in the U19 or U17's. I was kind of expecting that, with Academy, to see lots of potential youth coming through, but this doesn't seem the case. A bit disappointing - any reasons why?

Maybe we don’t have the latest Football Manager update. Still scouting youth players and first team players using FM2015. :cb :greengrin

The 90+2
06-03-2019, 10:41 AM
That's pretty concerning to see. Has it got something to do with Hearts/Rangers tie in with the Scottish FA JD Performance School?

worcesterhibby
06-03-2019, 10:56 AM
across all the squads hearts have 5 players, Aberdeen have 5, motherwell have 5, Hamilton have 3 Hibs have 2, Ayr have 2 Killi have 1

Rangers and Celtic have much more...but then they have much more of everything.

There will have been some tight decisions in there as to who should be picked...on another day Hibs might have easily had 4 and Hearts 3. I wouldn't stress too much. The trick is to get players from the development squad to the Hibs matchday squad. We have been pretty good at that in the last 10 years.

Congratulations to Sean Mackie and Oli Shaw for their call up :flag::flag:

Brummie_Hibs
06-03-2019, 11:21 AM
across all the squads hearts have 5 players, Aberdeen have 5, motherwell have 5, Hamilton have 3 Hibs have 2, Ayr have 2 Killi have 1

Ayr have 4

worcesterhibby
06-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Ayr have 4

Not really, 2 of them are loan players, I don't count that, not their players. If they were Hibs players on loan at Ayr, I would still consider them Hibs players.

Gloucester Hibs
06-03-2019, 11:42 AM
On the face of it strange, considering we did the SPFL development league and cup double not even a year ago?

worcesterhibby
06-03-2019, 11:46 AM
On the face of it strange, considering we did the SPFL development league and cup double not even a year ago?

As ever, there are probably 5 Hibs youngsters that would get in the squad if they were on rangers or Celtics books.

MyJo
06-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Porteous would be in there as well if he wasn’t injured

Golden Bear
06-03-2019, 12:33 PM
It's a concern, no matter how its dressed up.

There are only so many times that the line "it will take time to restructure the scouting/ coaching establishment" can be trotted out.

worcesterhibby
06-03-2019, 12:48 PM

There are only so many times that the line "it will take time to restructure the scouting/ coaching establishment" can be trotted out.

If our development side is such a concern how come we just won the double ? People are desperate to put Hibs down at the moment.

Billy Whizz
06-03-2019, 12:51 PM
If our development side is such a concern how come we just won the double ? People are desperate to put Hibs down at the moment.

The most important squad is the 21’s, and we’d have 3 in it if Porteous was fit. Fraser Murray was in the 19/20’s last season, but he’s just started playing again after a long term injury
Wonder how many of these young players in the younger squads will actually make the grade, very few in my opinion

Golden Bear
06-03-2019, 01:01 PM

I don't as a habit "put Hibs down" but facts are facts and in this instance I am disappointed at the lack of Hibernian players in the national squads.

Wheat Hound
06-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Kane O'Connor Captained the national u17 squad last year so bit surprised he's not in the u19s now.

Keith_M
06-03-2019, 02:25 PM

This has nothing to do with how good, or otherwise, our young players are.

This merely reflects the opinions of those that chose the teams.

calumhibee1
06-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Kane O'Connor Captained the national u17 squad last year so bit surprised he's not in the u19s now.

Is Kane Garrys laddie?

green day
06-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Couldn't really care about this. Numbers of Development into Senior Squad is the only metric to get excited about.

worcesterhibby
06-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Couldn't really care about this. Numbers of Development into Senior Squad is the only metric to get excited about.

:agree::agree:

The 90+2
06-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Is Kane Garrys laddie?

Yeah.

CMurdoch
06-03-2019, 03:25 PM
The most important squad is the 21’s, and we’d have 3 in it if Porteous was fit. Fraser Murray was in the 19/20’s last season, but he’s just started playing again after a long term injury
Wonder how many of these young players in the younger squads will actually make the grade, very few in my opinion

Is the correct answer.
Very few of the guys in the 2 younger squads will have a career with a top 6 team in Scotland's top league. We have seen that ourselves with only the cream of the cream able to stay at Hibs past their 22nd birthday. Even top quality youngsters like Sam Stanton etc have been moved on.

What is interesting about those squads is the high number of Rangers players in the squads compared to Celtic.

Smartie
06-03-2019, 03:37 PM
I've never really understood how some of our players seem to be so highly rated and pick up lots of caps at this level and others seem to be totally ignored.

Porteous is probably is positive a talent as we've had in 10 years coming through, and the emergence of himself and Mackie as well as Shaw's continued progress have been some of the high points of our season.

Our youth system is generating good players for our first team squad, so I'm going to hold off on bashing them for this.

I do think think that we're probably being outmuscled financially for some young players though, hence they end up at Rangers and Celtic. These clubs don't have a great track record at providing opportunities to young players at first team level.

Wheat Hound
06-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Is Kane Garrys laddie?

No. Josh O'Connor (14yrs old) is Garrys lad.

Bobo
06-03-2019, 03:44 PM
This has nothing to do with how good, or otherwise, our young players are.

This merely reflects the opinions of those that chose the teams.

Very true.

Nepotism is rife throughout Scottish football, always has been and it isn't going to change anytime soon!

Not In The Know
06-03-2019, 03:48 PM
I was at Oriam the other day for a kids Football tournament.

You should have seen the amount of hearts junior coaches (all in teamwear and jackets) milling about the corridors like they owned the place.

The facilities there are amazing and I'm really concerned with the scenario of Hibs and Hearts battling over the same youth players from the lothians that want to stay close to home. It could sway parents to go for the jumbos.

Billy Whizz
06-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Yeah.

He’s not
Gary’s lad is much younger, he’s called Josh

brog
06-03-2019, 04:23 PM
This has been happening for years now & it really starts at schoolboy level where the squad is heavily dependent on the uglies. That then translates into the underage squads. IIRC none of the golden generation were schoolboy caps though Lewis may have been. It must be frustrating for our young players but as others have said it's really U 21 level when it really matters.

Brightside
06-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Yeah.

No hes not.

The 90+2
06-03-2019, 04:40 PM
No hes not.

Yeah realised that now.

Hibster
06-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Not Hibs related but was hoping to see Karamoko Dembele in there...seems there's a good chance he's going to end up opting for England

we are hibs
06-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Not Hibs related but was hoping to see Karamoko Dembele in there...seems there's a good chance he's going to end up opting for England

How many of these incredibly hyped 14/15 year olds make it? Whatever happened to that young Norwegian boy who signed for Real Madrid? Or the Scottish boy who signed for Real Madrid too? Islam Feruz was supposedly going to be class but is probably the biggest enigma Scottish football has ever seen. Too much pressure and hype surrounding these young guys. Just let them play football ffs

Hibster
06-03-2019, 07:22 PM
How many of these incredibly hyped 14/15 year olds make it? Whatever happened to that young Norwegian boy who signed for Real Madrid? Or the Scottish boy who signed for Real Madrid too? Islam Feruz was supposedly going to be class but is probably the biggest enigma Scottish football has ever seen. Too much pressure and hype surrounding these young guys. Just let them play football ffs

Sorry for mentioning it pal

Allant1981
06-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Both playing first team football in Holland and Spain

Onceinawhile
06-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Both playing first team football in Holland and Spain

Aye, but harper is in the 2 liga. Also, he was never really that hyped tbf.