PDA

View Full Version : Bestie!!

Here’s Lucy!
05-03-2019, 04:43 PM
What are some of the older (or more elderly!) forum users memories of George Bests time with us? His debut in 1979 must have been amazing?

tamig
05-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Yes it was exciting times in an otherwise miserable season. Biggest disappointment for me was a Scottish Cup game at ER against Ayr - they packed the Dunbar end out - and when the team was announced over the tannoy there was no Georgie boy. Think I also remember another no show at Cappielow which was another major let down for both the home and visiting fans. He still had moments of football magic in his head and his feet but his pace was gone when he joined us.

Billy Whizz
05-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Yes it was exciting times in an otherwise miserable season. Biggest disappointment for me was a Scottish Cup game at ER against Ayr - they packed the Dunbar end out - and when the team was announced over the tannoy there was no Georgie boy. Think I also remember another no show at Cappielow which was another major let down for both the home and visiting fans. He still had moments of football magic in his head and his feet but his pace was gone when he joined us.
Did Hibs not score the winner in injury time at that game?

Hibernia&Alba
05-03-2019, 04:57 PM

I wish I'd seen it. However, my dad always said it was more of a gimmick to get people to games than a serious signing. What are your thoughts on that? He also says it was rather sad to see a once great player as a shadow of his former self, trying to recapture his past alongside much inferior players. Though he's glad he got the chance to see Georgie up close.

G B Young
05-03-2019, 05:01 PM
What are some of the older (or more elderly!) forum users memories of George Bests time with us? His debut in 1979 must have been amazing?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ian-wood-recalls-the-hibernian-debut-of-football-legend-george-best-1-1494635

Golden Bear
05-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Some would describe George's career with Hibs as being a fairly successful commercial venture.

Football fans in general (not just Hibees) came from miles around just to say that they had witnessed an undoubted fitba' genius in action. His legs were gone but the skill and vision were still there. He was on a different planet from his teammates, often reading play which was a step ahead of the other players.

The only drawback was that no one (including the Management) never quite knew when he would be "available" to play - and that had nothing to do with injuries!

Great days, I feel truly privileged to have seen a genuine superstar in action.

:not worth:not worth:not worth

Here’s Lucy!
05-03-2019, 05:15 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ian-wood-recalls-the-hibernian-debut-of-football-legend-george-best-1-1494635

Thanks for that. :aok:

Blackfordhibby
05-03-2019, 05:15 PM
As has been said already, it was a feet through the door exercise. Never knew what would happen.....a no show, or turn up and a couple of wee bits o' skill. Saying that, like most other Hibs fans you went along just in case. Probably never see anything like that again in the future, well no in my time, I wouldn't think.

WoreTheGreen
05-03-2019, 05:17 PM
I wish I'd seen it. However, my dad always said it was more of a gimmick to get people to games than a serious signing. What are your thoughts on that? He also says it was rather sad to see a once great player as a shadow of his former self, trying to recapture his past alongside much inferior players. Though he's glad he got the chance to see Georgie up close.

Funny just thinking about GB today as we have a couple of photos ( one signed) by him in my place off work

HoboHarry
05-03-2019, 05:18 PM
George Best along with Henrik Larsson and Zoltan Varga are my favourite players I've seen play in Scotland in terms of skill levels.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-03-2019, 05:21 PM
There is / was a picture of Bestie hanging up (appropriately) in The Artisan on London rd.

Dunno if he was a patron and/or the pub are fans.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-03-2019, 05:23 PM

I was only young at the time, that's how I remember it too though.

Here’s Lucy!
05-03-2019, 05:24 PM
George Best along with Henrik Larsson and Zoltan Varga are my favourite players I've seen play in Scotland in terms of skill levels.

Laudrop and Gazza weren't too shabby either, to be honest.

HoboHarry
05-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Yes, you are correct in that...👍

Orourke73
05-03-2019, 05:27 PM

I think that game was the first to be played on a Sunday in Scotland. Probably wrong though.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Laudrop and Gazza weren't too shabby either, to be honest.

My brother who hates football got a ball signed by that team somewhere in the attic unless my mum turfed it out to a jumble sale (probably !) would be worth a mint. Pretty much all the “greats” in that team.

WoreTheGreen
05-03-2019, 05:30 PM
One of GB is in the newington inn for Hibs lotto. Bestie at the bar

delbert
05-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Did Hibs not score the winner in injury time at that game?

Pretty sure we won the Ayr United Cup tie 2-0 with one of the goals from the legend that was Duncan Lambie, a howlin footballer ! We lost the game at Cappielow by the same score, was at both games.

Here’s Lucy!
05-03-2019, 05:36 PM
My brother who hates football got a ball signed by that team somewhere in the attic unless my mum turfed it out to a jumble sale (probably !) would be worth a mint. Pretty much all the “greats” in that team.

Nice one. :aok:

Bostonhibby
05-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Great times and as mentioned bigger crowds to see the great man play. Not the player he was but a cut above most in the SPL and a great passer.

I seen every match he played for us. He didn't always turn up mind.[emoji6]

He opened an exhaust centre at piershill where a huge crowd turned up, my late ma won the raffle he drew and got to meet him.

Years later I was lucky enough to get this press photo of him signing for Hibs.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190305/97b2f8a7b7570a5d23f90a51e777c77b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
05-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Still had the football brain but the legs had gone

He could still ping an immaculate 40 yard pass and still had a mean shot ( remember his goal versus Celtic that put the ball and Peter Latchford in the back of the net) and free kick in his locker

I attended his debut at Love Street attendance 13600 Best scored in a 2-1 defeat and his home debut versus Partick Thistle in a 2-1 win in front of 20600 fans

I also remember his performance in a Christmas fixture at Easter Road in a badly needed 2-1 win versus Rangers

He got loads of stick from the fans someone threw a can of beer at him and he picked it up and pretended to take a drink from it

He nutmegged Derek Johnstone who promptly put him up in the air and he picked up the ball as if to say “Is this what you were after?”

The Ayr United Scottish Cup game was on a Sunday after George had got involved in an all night drinking session with the French Rugby Team

Everyone in the ground was disappointed when the Stadium announcer announced that HIBS number 7 would be Willie Murray

I am sure I read somewhere that Ally Macleod said that George Best only came to HIBS to look after his boots :greengrin

Billy Whizz
05-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Pretty sure we won the Ayr United Cup tie 2-0 with one of the goals from the legend that was Duncan Lambie, a howlin footballer ! We lost the game at Cappielow by the same score, was at both games.

Think you might be right, maybe I’m thinking of another game in the 80’s

Hibernia&Alba
05-03-2019, 05:44 PM

He could still ping an immaculate 40 yard pass and still had a mean shot ( remember his goal versus Celtic that put the ball and Peter Latchford in the back of the net) and free kick in his locker

I attended his debut at Love Street attendance 13600 Best scored in a 2-1 defeat and his home debut versus Partick Thistle in a 2-1 win in front of 20600 fans

I also remember his performance in a Christmas fixture at Easter Road in a badly needed 2-1 win versus Rangers

He got loads of stick from the fans someone threw a can of beer at him and he picked it up and pretended to take a drink from it

He nutmegged Derek Johnstone who promptly put him up in the air and he picked up the ball as if to say “Is this what you were after?”

The Ayr United Scottish Cup game was on a Sunday after George had got involved in an all night drinking session with the French Rugby Team

Everyone in the ground was disappointed when the Stadium announcer announced that HIBS number 7 would be Willie Murray

I am sure I read somewhere that Ally Macleod said that George Best only came to HIBS to look after his boots :greengrin

:greengrin

One can only shake the heid with a wry smile.

Here’s Lucy!
05-03-2019, 05:46 PM

Good stories there Billy.:aok:

Even remembering the attendance figures is pretty impressive stuff. :wink:

Hiber-nation
05-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Yes it was exciting times in an otherwise miserable season. Biggest disappointment for me was a Scottish Cup game at ER against Ayr - they packed the Dunbar end out - and when the team was announced over the tannoy there was no Georgie boy. .

There was an old boy in the North Enclosure screaming at Tom Hart for his money back when he found out that Duncan Lambie was playing instead of Best :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
05-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Good stories there Billy.:aok:

Even remembering the attendance figures is pretty impressive stuff. :wink:
18740 versus the Hun goals Campbell and Higgins
15000 for the no show Scottish Cup game versus Ayr :greengrin
He was put up for sale after his disappearing act but returned to help us beat Dundee 2-0 pulling the strings in midfield and scoring a wonderful solo goal
Sadly we were relegated that season but he did return to play a few games in the First Division
His last game at Easter Road was in Jackie MacNamaras Testimonial versus Newcastle United in 1984

Legend!

:not worth

Scottie
05-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Remember this game well. Was sitting directly behind GB's goal in the Old West. Some atmosphere that day, was only seven or eight at the time.

https://youtu.be/4YyA-AIvHM4

heretoday
05-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive!

On the other hand the pubs closed at ten.

Lago
05-03-2019, 07:11 PM
I went to ER with my father in law to see his first game there, sure it was against Participate Thistle. As someone has said his legs had gone but, still the skill was there, ball control, passing & what a shot. It was fun while it lasted which wasn't long.

WoreTheGreen
05-03-2019, 07:19 PM
First player with a toiletries bag I’ve seen. Jackie Ralph and Ally etc soon emptied it

green with envy
05-03-2019, 07:19 PM
I remember going down to Leicester on a bitterly cold December winters night in 1979 for a meaningless friendly. George had been posted missing but it was to the amazement of the 100 or so Hibs fans that he not only turned up that night but played in a 2-0 victory it was to be the only game that we would win away from home that season.

J-C
05-03-2019, 07:20 PM
As has been said, legs gone but his brain was way ahead of anyone at Hibs at the time. I think he may have been on a pay per game deal due to his drinking, he added a few thousand to the gate which covered his wages no problem.

CockneyRebel
05-03-2019, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;5730200]Still had the football brain but the legs had gone

I heard that Ally had said George wasn't fit to lace his boots.

The Pointer
05-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Where did he live when he played for us?

worcesterhibby
05-03-2019, 07:34 PM

I seem to remember that Blondie were playing a gig in Edinburgh and Debbie Harry was involved in that drinking session too !

My clearest memory was his farewell game where he played for San Jose Earthquakes and I think scored an absolutely cracking lob, anyone confirm that ?

Also worth noting that we played a friendly against Leicester and George Played...there was a young 18 year old playing for Leicester...Gary Lineker !! only time he ever played on the same pitch as George !

Hibernia&Alba
05-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Any pub that was open.

worcesterhibby
05-03-2019, 07:35 PM

North British Hotel (now the Balmoral) If I remember correctly

Billy Whizz
05-03-2019, 07:36 PM

Jinglin Geordie

WoreTheGreen
05-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Jinglin Geordie

Great photo in that pub of GB . The famous photo of a pished GB was also taken in there a a total set up

mim
05-03-2019, 07:52 PM

It was no gimmick. Best was still a class act. I managed to get into Love Street about ten minutes before half time. Saw nothing until folk went for a pee at half time and I managed to get down onto the terracing. Best was brilliant in that second half.

The following week (I think it was a Sunday) George made his home debut. There was a group of St Mirren supporters sitting behind me in the main stand. They had seen George the previous week and wanted to see him again.

I saw George at his very best in 1967 and while he obviously wasn't as fit as then, the skill was certainly still there for all to see.

A genius :agree:

Billy Whizz
05-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Great photo in that pub of GB . The famous photo of a pished GB was also taken in there a a total set up

Been in a number of times, lovely old fashioned pub
Must have been easy for GB to get out of the Balmoral and into JG unnoticed

mim
05-03-2019, 07:56 PM

He lived in a flat in Palmerston Place for at least part of the time. I used to meet him in the William Hill bookies in William Street at lunchtime. Went across to the Melville for a drink (he was on orange juice, believe it or not) :wink:

BILLYHIBS
05-03-2019, 08:18 PM
I seem to remember that Blondie were playing a gig in Edinburgh and Debbie Harry was involved in that drinking session too !

My clearest memory was his farewell game where he played for San Jose Earthquakes and I think scored an absolutely cracking lob, anyone confirm that ?

Also worth noting that we played a friendly against Leicester and George Played...there was a young 18 year old playing for Leicester...Gary Lineker !! only time he ever played on the same pitch as George !

Aye Debbie Harry was there anaw!

leith lynx
05-03-2019, 08:40 PM

Think it was Duncan Lambie who replaced George at the Ayr game, don't think Duncan played for Hibs again after that!

Besties Debut
05-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Yes it was exciting times in an otherwise miserable season. Biggest disappointment for me was a Scottish Cup game at ER against Ayr - they packed the Dunbar end out - and when the team was announced over the tannoy there was no Georgie boy. Think I also remember another no show at Cappielow which was another major let down for both the home and visiting fans. He still had moments of football magic in his head and his feet but his pace was gone when he joined us. I Remember Tom Hart sacking him for that no show. He was reinstated a few days later when Tom saw the pound signs

MickeyEdwards
05-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Think you might be right, maybe I’m thinking of another game in the 80’s
George was great to watch from the skill point of view but he didn’t have the fitness anywhere near that of his great days!

This 1980 draw against Celtic where he scored the Hibs goal was a decent match!

Apparently George only got to ER on the odd match day if Chairman Tom Hart picked him up from the North British Hotel bar in his Rolls Royce and drove him down! ��

In those fays fans often mixed and a couple of Hearts fan friends of mine used to come to matches with me that George was playing in!

Besties Debut
05-03-2019, 09:09 PM
George was great to watch from the skill point of view but he didn’t have the fitness anywhere near that of his great days!

This 1980 draw against Celtic where he scored the Hibs goal was a decent match!

Apparently George only got to ER on the odd match day if Chairman Tim Hart picked him up from the North British Hotel bar in his Rolls Royce and drone him down! 😉

In those fays fans often mixed and a couple of Hearts fan friends of mine used to come to matches that George was playing in!
Tom Hart was paying him 2k a game out his own pocket

Besties Debut
05-03-2019, 09:10 PM
Yes it was exciting times in an otherwise miserable season. Biggest disappointment for me was a Scottish Cup game at ER against Ayr - they packed the Dunbar end out - and when the team was announced over the tannoy there was no Georgie boy. Think I also remember another no show at Cappielow which was another major let down for both the home and visiting fans. He still had moments of football magic in his head and his feet but his pace was gone when he joined us. The game was on a Sunday afternoon and George had spent the night before pissing it up with the French rugby team at the North British Hotel.

BILLYHIBS
05-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Think it was Duncan Lambie who replaced George at the Ayr game, don't think Duncan played for Hibs again after that!

Naw!

Defo remember Willie Murray the wee skinny winger with the wedge haircut took Georgies place that day on 17/2/80:

Hibernian 2 v 0 Ayr United

Scorers Lambie and Campbell

Hibs:

MacArthur Brazil and Lambie, Rae Paterson and McNamara, Callachan Macleod Higgins Campbell and Murray sub: Arthur Duncan

Duncan Lambie brother of Hibs Coach and Partick Thistle legend John Lambie was signed from Furth in W Germany as a left sided midfielder/full back

He had played the week before versus Morton as a left back in a 3-2 win over Morton 9/2/80

Willie Murray took Bests place on the left wing that day scoring in the 3-2 win

Duncan Lambies last game prior to that was as a left back versus Livingston away in the on 26/1/80 in a Scottish Cup tie in a 1-0 win George Best played on the left wing that day

Willie Murray always the bridesmaid never the brides last game prior to the 3-2 Morton game was the home game versus Partick Thistle where George Best made his home debut coming on as a sub

Duncan Lambies last game for HIBS was on 21/4/1980 in the SPL at home versus Kilmarnock in a 1-2 defeat where he played left back

By that time Willie Ormond was the Manager :confused:

MickeyEdwards
05-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Naw!

Defo remember Willie Murray the wee skinny winger with the wedge haircut took Georgies place that day on 17/2/80:

Hibernian 2 v 0 Ayr United

Scorers Lambie and Campbell

Hibs:

MaArthur Brazil and Lambie, Rae Paterson and McNamara, Callachan Macleod Higgins Campbell and Murray sub: Arthur Duncan

Duncan Lambie brother of Hibs Coach and Partick Thistle legend John Lambie was signed from Furth in W Germany as a left sided midfielder/full back

He had played the week before versus Morton as a left back in a 3-2 win over Morton 9/2/80

Willie Murray took Bests place on the left wing that day scoring in the 3-2 win

Duncan Lambies last game prior to that was as a left back versus Livingston away in the on 26/1/80 in a Scottish Cup tie in a 1-0 win George Best played on the left wing that day

Willie Murray always the bridesmaid never the brides last game prior to the 3-2 Morton game was the home game versus Partick Thistle where George Best made his home debut coming on as a sub

Duncan Lambies last game for HIBS was on 21/4/1980 in the SPL at home versus Kilmarnock in a 1-2 defeat where he played left back

By that time Willie Ormond was the Manager :confused:

Willie Murray was a salesman at Scott Coppola off Bonnington Road last time I spoke to him.
Same lovely guy as he always was but lacking in the hair Dept from his playing days!
Pacy winger who never really got the plaudits he deserved imho!

BILLYHIBS
05-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Willie Murray was a salesman at Scott Coppola off Bonninton Road last time I spoke to him.
Same lovely guy as he always was but lacking in the hair Dept from his playing days!
Pact winger who never really got the plaudits he deserved imho!

Agree!

Up there beside my all time hero....Super Joe Tortolano!

Willie Murray was fast pacy tricky similiar to Kenny Davidson

All three of the above underrated HIBS heroes

Whatever happened to that young guy Johnny Hamilton?

Another of my favourites

Besties Debut
06-03-2019, 02:28 AM
Agree!

Up there beside my all time hero....Super Joe Tortolano!

Willie Murray was fast pacy tricky similiar to Kenny Davidson

All three of the above underrated HIBS heroes

Whatever happened to that young guy Johnny Hamilton?

Another of my favourites Johny Hamilton died a few years ago.

BILLYHIBS
06-03-2019, 07:25 AM
Johny Hamilton died a few years ago.

Great player!

He went on to have a good career as a midfielder with Rangers

I remember one game versus Partick at Easter Road he came across to take a corner with a bright red face covered in sweat he looked at me smiled and said “I’m ****ing knackered!”

RIP

:not worth

STB Hibs
06-03-2019, 02:50 PM
George Best ripped the tits out his move to Hibs.

Respect is a two way street, and he didn't show respect to Hibs.

Funny how on one thread, Hibs fans demand 100% from players, then abandon this level of self respect for Best, or in the current day, Scott Allan.

I just witnessed fans blacken Lennon's name over claims he engineered his departure, but Scott Allan is the Prodigal Son?

Wow!!

Bostonhibby
06-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Funny how on one thread, Hibs fans demand 100% from players, then abandon this level of self respect for Best, or in the current day, Scott Allan.

I just witnessed fans blacken Lennon's name over claims he engineered his departure, but Scott Allan is the Prodigal Son?

Wow!!Okay I'll bite.

Different times but Best helped Hibs and Hibs helped Best.

Ripping " the tits out" is what I felt guys like Romanov did to pre administration hearts and Murray did to the now defunct Glasgow rangers.

All about perspective I guess.

houstonhibbee
06-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Even Angie was in the stand that day expecting him to play

STB Hibs
06-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Okay I'll bite.

Different times but Best helped Hibs and Hibs helped Best.

Ripping " the tits out" is what I felt guys like Romanov did to pre administration hearts and Murray did to the now defunct Glasgow rangers.

All about perspective I guess.

Aye indeed, it's all about the perspective of you attempting to convince us that saying "**** Hibs and the poor mugs boosting the footfall today, I'm not leaving this pub" is sonehow acceptable because Hearts latwr had a shady owner.

That's the exact same mentality as most Hibs fsns backing the board's pre season lack of signings by declaring at least we're no signing players like Hearts are, weeks before Hearts raced away from us up the league.

Sakes!!

Bostonhibby
06-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Aye indeed, it's all about the perspective of you attempting to convince us that saying "**** Hibs and the poor mugs boosting the footfall today, I'm not leaving this pub" is sonehow acceptable because Hearts latwr had a shady owner.

That's the exact same mentality as most Hibs fsns backing the board's pre season lack of signings by declaring at least we're no signing players like Hearts are, weeks before Hearts raced away from us up the league.

Sakes!!I'm attempting to convince no one about nothing.

Have a good day.

STB Hibs
06-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Two questions never answered sensibly by Hibs fans....

1) What did George Best do to "help Hibs"?

2) Exactly which parts of Martin Boyle's game have improved?

Hibs fabs regularly purport both ideologies behind both questions, but never answer the questions when thrown at them.

Martin Boyle is supposedly the most improved player in the squad, yet not a single fan has ever replied as to which parts of his game have improved.

Mental.

jacomo
06-03-2019, 03:43 PM

Hibs fabs regularly purport both ideologies behind both questions, but never answer the questions when thrown at them.

Martin Boyle is supposedly the most improved player in the squad, yet not a single fan has ever replied as to which parts of his game have improved.

Mental.

I’m sure Martin Boyle is delighted to be mentioned alongside George Best but you are wandering off topic a bit.

Anyhow, this is a guy whose only significant playing experience was at Montrose, and we signed him in a swap deal with Alex Harris. He is now a key member of our squad and a full international.

By any measure, he is a vastly improved player.

Mantis Toboggan
06-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Mental.

Err..pretty much all of them ?

STB Hibs
06-03-2019, 03:55 PM
I’m sure Martin Boyle is delighted to be mentioned alongside George Best but you are wandering off topic a bit.

Anyhow, this is a guy whose only significant playing experience was at Montrose, and we signed him in a swap deal with Alex Harris. He is now a key member of our squad and a full international.

By any measure, he is a vastly improved player.

Again a hollow soundbite with zero substence.

Twll us exactly how Boyle's game has improved.

STB Hibs
06-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Err..pretty much all of them ?

Explain it then....

Mantis Toboggan
06-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Explain it then....

I would say that stepping up to premier level from championship for the first time and contributing goals and assists at a broadly consistent rate demonstrates improvement.

Is there a reason you apparently have it in for Boyle?

STB Hibs
06-03-2019, 04:09 PM
I would say that stepping up to premier level from championship for the first time and contributing goals and assists at a broadly consistent rate demonstrates improvement.

Is there a reason you apparently have it in for Boyle?

I think he's the worst forward I've ever seen.

Kato
06-03-2019, 04:13 PM

Mental.

Entertained Hibs fans and fans of other clubs.

His decision making.

Go on, some harder questions next time.

Mantis Toboggan
06-03-2019, 04:13 PM

Laughable.
Strong start to your posting on the board, please do keep it up!

BoomtownHibees
06-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Are you 3 years old?

STB Hibs
06-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Laughable.
Strong start to your posting on the board, please do keep it up!

Forgive me, I didn't realise there aas a Keeping Up with the Jones' system to follow when posting here.

bigwheel
06-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Forgive me, I didn't realise there aas a Keeping Up with the Jones' system to follow when posting here.

why not just come on and get involved in the chat? You might enjoy it.... Rather than abuse George Best, Supporters Rep, Martin Boyle, Cup final bubble, other posters ..etc etc...

or is that the intent?

Here’s Lucy!
06-03-2019, 05:18 PM

I think you're at it.

bigwheel
06-03-2019, 05:46 PM
I think you're at it.

they didn't last long! :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
06-03-2019, 05:48 PM
they didn't last long! :greengrin

Launched is a style very much in keeping with being a yam fud :greengrin

Bostonhibby
06-03-2019, 06:19 PM
I think you're at it.Me too. This guys seen Cole the goal Stockton.

Here’s Lucy!
06-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Me too. This guys seen Cole the goal Stockton.

:thumbsup:

Keith_M
06-03-2019, 06:41 PM
To put this in some context, the home attendances for games versus Partick Thistle in season 78-79 (the year before Best Signed) were 6,043 and 5,356

The attendance at Best's first game (also against Thistle) was 20,622

heretoday
06-03-2019, 06:58 PM

Wow!!

OK we were hypnotised by his celebrity but he entertained us all and I think that in those days that was still important for its own sake.

Credit to Tom Hart for making a dream reality.

HaltomHibs
06-03-2019, 07:04 PM
As told by Gordon Rae:

The great one was out at a casino in London and he won big. He returned to his hotel taking along whichever Miss World was besotted by him at the time. Once in their room, she announced she needed a shower. George ordered champagne from room service, lay on the bed and threw all of his winnings up in the air confetti-style. Miss World (I can't remember which one it was) soon returned, wrapped in a towel and sat down beside him.

There was a knock on the door and in came an elderly waiter carrying the booze, ice bucket etc.

So there he is, on the bed, surrounded by cash, Miss World naked beside him and the waiter turned and with a sorrowful shake of his head said

"George, where did it all go wrong?"

wpj
06-03-2019, 07:20 PM
I am delighted to have seen George Best in our green and white. I have a photo of him and one of Pat Stanton which i will always keep, legends

ancient hibee
06-03-2019, 11:32 PM
As told by Gordon Rae:

The great one was out at a casino in London and he won big. He returned to his hotel taking along whichever Miss World was besotted by him at the time. Once in their room, she announced she needed a shower. George ordered champagne from room service, lay on the bed and threw all of his winnings up in the air confetti-style. Miss World (I can't remember which one it was) soon returned, wrapped in a towel and sat down beside him.

There was a knock on the door and in came an elderly waiter carrying the booze, ice bucket etc.

So there he is, on the bed, surrounded by cash, Miss World naked beside him and the waiter turned and with a sorrowful shake of his head said

"George, where did it all go wrong?"
It was the Balmoral (then the NB)that featured in that tale in the 1970s.