PDA

View Full Version : Hecky’s tactics

madhatter
03-03-2019, 04:46 PM
I’m already starting to see promising signs, we are starting to look like a more structured side. Shame he doesn’t have many wingers to play as he’s currently playing 442 with centre mids playing wide apart from Horgan.

Any players he brings in will need to be very fit. I’m glad to see some tactics and structure again. I enjoyed games when Lennon was in charge but there never seemed to be a plan to anything. Including subs.

Hopefully we can get top six. I can’t wait to see what we become next season, be good to have a footballing identity again (e.g. solid defensively, high press)

CallumLaidlaw
03-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Yep, there’s been a lot made of yesterday’s game but I thought for certainly the first half we were very organised & everyone knew there job. Promising signs and hopefully we keep the momentum in the league going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since452
03-03-2019, 04:52 PM
We pressed Celtic very well yesterday. Took a wonder strike before they took control. We did nothing when in possession which was disappointing. Tired legs told in the end.

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 04:52 PM
It's still early days but, as he gets to know his players better and maybe has the chance to bring in replacements, then we'll hopefully improve.

He's done well in working out how to beat the sides from the lower end of the league and we'll just have to wait and see how he does against the teams we should normally be challenging for a European place.

Diclonius
03-03-2019, 04:54 PM
The high press worked very well in our first three games, and the players generally look happier and more organised. Hopefully we try that on Friday.

HibbyAndy
03-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Yep, there’s been a lot made of yesterday’s game but I thought for certainly the first half we were very organised & everyone knew there job. Promising signs and hopefully we keep the momentum in the league going.

That's how i saw it Callum :aok:

Next season we will have a good few first team players back from injury and 1 or 2 new additions

Waxy
03-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Gone are the days of 5-5s 5-3s 6-4s etc. We look a bit more solid now.

wookie70
03-03-2019, 05:01 PM
I’m already starting to see promising signs, we are starting to look like a more structured side. Shame he doesn’t have many wingers to play as he’s currently playing 442 with centre mids playing wide apart from Horgan.

Any players he brings in will need to be very fit. I’m glad to see some tactics and structure again. I enjoyed games when Lennon was in charge but there never seemed to be a plan to anything. Including subs.

Hopefully we can get top six. I can’t wait to see what we become next season, be good to have a footballing identity again (e.g. solid defensively, high press)

I'm off a similar mind. He was left a unbalanced squad which had been drained of confidence and was looking down the league from an already lowly 8th. I also think they were and are miles away from the level of fitness expected in the top league. His plan never worked last night but that doesn't mean it was the wrong plan. We might have been humped 4 or 5 with the plan most seem to be advocating.

There are 3 things that make a manager for me. I'll leave loyalty, behaviour and class out for the time being.

Eye for a player - No idea about Heck in our league but Lennon was mediocre and that is being kind

Tactics and Organisation - Heck streets ahead of Lennon(hard to know what his strategy was for a large number of games) already in that we have a shape and players look like they know what they are doing

Man management and inspiration - Man management, early days but players who looked completely lacking in confidence now look to be back playing well, one up for the Heck. Inspiration was Lennons only strong point to my mind. Some call it being a winner I'll call it having no fear. It was his downfall as much as it was his strength. Brilliant in the big games going toe to toe but not so good in smaller games where teams were beating us with their organisation as we were gung hoe going forward.

Time will tell but I suspect Heck is a good choice for getting us through the big reorganisation in the squad that Lennon should have completed or at least got us most of the way through during the last two windows.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Hard to judge him too much until he has his own team.

He got credit for his first three games, deservedly so. Criticism for last night, again, deservedly so IMO.

Tactics is one element of the job. The other is to send the players out with a belief they can win. I thought that was really lacking last night, in part because of what he asked them to do.

ancient hibee
03-03-2019, 05:21 PM
I was very disappointed when he brought Bartley on.Hope it wasn’t just to try and keep the score down(which backfired big time)because Bartley was never going to help us get an equaliser.Feel he should have gone for broke with Birgiana or Mackie,a touch of the unexpected perhaps,as being a goal down it was a free hit.

Lago
03-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Good post, totally agree, watched his after match assessment/interview honest & spot on.

LaMotta
03-03-2019, 05:34 PM

He got credit for his first three games, deservedly so. Criticism for last night, again, deservedly so IMO.

Tactics is one element of the job. The other is to send the players out with a belief they can win. I thought that was really lacking last night, in part because of what he asked them to do.

:agree:

Slightly bizaare that last nights defeat is being held up as evidence of progress from Lennon's time given Lennon's Hibs excellent record at Easter Road vs Celtic.

Waxy
03-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Sometimes you just have to hand some credit to the opposition.It took a great strike to win a pretty scrappy game in tough conditions.

noz
03-03-2019, 06:07 PM
We pressed Celtic very well yesterday. Took a wonder strike before they took control. We did nothing when in possession which was disappointing. Tired legs told in the end.

Sorry, but thats pants, we hardly pressed at all. We let them pass it about the back line and gave them too much time. That was not high pressing.

Also, Celtic played midweek as well?

The Spaceman
03-03-2019, 06:11 PM
I too thought we played quite well yesterday. We completely shut Celtic out in the first half, and it took a bit of magic from Forrest to unlock things for them, which they got on this occasion.

Celtic are an outstanding football team who dwarf us in terms of quality, depth, finances etc. We will lose more games against the OF than we will win. That's the way it is unfortunately.

I think the next Edinburgh Derby will be fascinating. I can see Heckingbottom cracking the enigma that is a derby win at Tynecastle. He will know how to set us up there better than Lennon ever did.

truehibernian
03-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Sorry, but thats pants, we hardly pressed at all. We let them pass it about the back line and gave them too much time. That was not high pressing.

Also, Celtic played midweek as well?

We did press them, kept them at 0-0 for a large part of the game, but you must admit that the Celtic front line is one you cannot go gung-ho and leave yourself exposed. Burke's pace is frightening, Sinclair and Forrest are very gifted and have pace, and Edouard is a class striker. We were without our main attacking threats in Boyle and Agyepong (wide areas) so we were always going to play compact and narrow with what we had to select from.

If we had wide players available we could have forced the play and forced back Tierney and Lustig. Celtic are a very good side, there's no shame going out to them - it certainly wasn't a rout.

For me these games are showing PH what we need next season and who needs shipped out.

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 06:20 PM
I was very disappointed when he brought Bartley on.Hope it wasn’t just to try and keep the score down(which backfired big time)because Bartley was never going to help us get an equaliser.Feel he should have gone for broke with Birgiana or Mackie,a touch of the unexpected perhaps,as being a goal down it was a free hit.

Yeah, I think that backfired big time. His double substitution actually made us easier to play, as Mallan also had a bad game.

Hopefully that's down to lack of familiarity with the players and what they can bring to a game (in Bartley's case), but Mallan was just poor.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 06:20 PM

As a result of that he cost us the second goal and the match, I don't think we'll see much more of Bartley in the first team this season.

Pretty Boy
03-03-2019, 06:39 PM
He’s won 3 of his 1st 4 including 2 tricky away games in less than ideal circumstances. For whatever reason there are some who are making no effort whatsoever to take to the guy; I heard 2 guys talking on my walk up the road last night and they were absolutely tearing into Heckingbottom and Stockdale and then came the inevitable ‘he’s just no a winner like Lennon’. It’s like teenage girls when Take That split up 1st time around and people need to get over it.

He’s inherited an ageing and unbalanced squad that has a half decent core to build around. He seems to be being quite practical at the moment and I’m happy with that if he is using this to evaluate who can and can’t play the system he will ultimately look to play. It’s about this time next year when I’ll judge him, unless he is spectacularly good or bad in the meantime.

I thought we cancelled Celtic out well in the 1st half last night and got into good positions at times but a succession of poor final balls, particularly from our full backs, stopped us really hurting them. 2nd half looked like being more of the same until 2 tired mistakes cost us the 1st goal and the game was dead as soon as they got the 2nd. I daresay having to dig in with 10 men on Wednesday probably contributed to the fatigue levels. With the pace Celtic had up top and our lack of pace at the back trying to press them right up the park was never happening. I also thought having Tierney back for them was huge, Gray and Horgan handled him well but he’s an outball and he requires bodies to stop him. We got so much success from Izaguirre down that side last time at ER and that didn’t happen last night.

Thus far I feel far more positive about Hibs than I have for much of this season. We are climbing the league, winning games and scoring goals. I also accept we have a pretty big rebuild to do in the summer and a few favourites may have to be moved on. That’s football and I trust the manager to make decisions with his head rather than his heart.

J-C
03-03-2019, 06:43 PM
The 1st thing I noticed about Heckinbottom team is it's a solid structured shape, 2 banks of 4 and 2 up top, I have a wee feeling he'll change to a 4-3-3 next season when he puts his own stamp on the team.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2019, 06:45 PM
The 1st thing I noticed about Heckinbottom team is it's a solid structured shape, 2 banks of 4 and 2 up top, I have a wee feeling he'll change to a 4-3-3 next season when he puts his own stamp on the team.

From what I read, his Barnsley team was always a pretty straightforward 442. Don’t know about Leeds.

J-C
03-03-2019, 06:48 PM
From what I read, his Barnsley team was always a pretty straightforward 442. Don’t know about Leeds.

I did read that but not many teams go 4-4-2 as it can leave you exposed in the middle, if he does stay with that then we need 2 dynamic energetic midfielders willing to run their legs into the ground.

Lago
03-03-2019, 07:43 PM
:top marks
He’s won 3 of his 1st 4 including 2 tricky away games in less than ideal circumstances. For whatever reason there are some who are making no effort whatsoever to take to the guy; I heard 2 guys talking on my walk up the road last night and they were absolutely tearing into Heckingbottom and Stockdale and then came the inevitable ‘he’s just no a winner like Lennon’. It’s like teenage girls when Take That split up 1st time around and people need to get over it.

He’s inherited an ageing and unbalanced squad that has a half decent core to build around. He seems to be being quite practical at the moment and I’m happy with that if he is using this to evaluate who can and can’t play the system he will ultimately look to play. It’s about this time next year when I’ll judge him, unless he is spectacularly good or bad in the meantime.

I thought we cancelled Celtic out well in the 1st half last night and got into good positions at times but a succession of poor final balls, particularly from our full backs, stopped us really hurting them. 2nd half looked like being more of the same until 2 tired mistakes cost us the 1st goal and the game was dead as soon as they got the 2nd. I daresay having to dig in with 10 men on Wednesday probably contributed to the fatigue levels. With the pace Celtic had up top and our lack of pace at the back trying to press them right up the park was never happening. I also thought having Tierney back for them was huge, Gray and Horgan handled him well but he’s an outball and he requires bodies to stop him. We got so much success from Izaguirre down that side last time at ER and that didn’t happen last night.

Thus far I feel far more positive about Hibs than I have for much of this season. We are climbing the league, winning games and scoring goals. I also accept we have a pretty big rebuild to do in the summer and a few favourites may have to be moved on. That’s football and I trust the manager to make decisions with his head rather than his heart.

greenlex
03-03-2019, 07:55 PM
I might be wrong but we’re the subs stripped and ready when Celtic scored ?

hibee_girl
03-03-2019, 07:57 PM

They were, both times IIRC

green day
03-03-2019, 07:58 PM

I think so - certainly Milligan was struggling for a bit (in fact I think he got a knock in the first half but soldiered on) hence what should have been the straight swap for Bartley, one DM for another.

Rather unfortunately, Marv then had a shocker.................

calumhibee1
03-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Agree with every word of that. Celtic fans are pretty happy at their performance last night, some Hibs fans are furious at ours yet the only thing that really separated us was 2 wonder strikes. Other than that neither side done much of note.

We were far from exciting last night but we weren’t bad imo.

Souter96Mac
03-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Definitely looked a lot more organised, first half especially. Celtic were reduced to going wide and looked pretty toothless.
It's clear we're a couple of bodies short, especially when Horgan starts to tire. We've not got any pace to bring off the bench.

ekhibee
03-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Excellent post,agree with all of it.I would probably add that Brown is a huge player for them,and when he plays,they tick.

Hector Mudflap
03-03-2019, 09:13 PM
I seem to have.

I thought we were poor and didn't press at all.
I didn't go so the opinion is from Hibs Tv but I watched it all and was pretty disappointed.
There seems to be a lack of belief that we certainly have had in the last couple of years playing the old firm.

The team is flat and the subs were as predictable as they could possibly have been. The crowd is flat and I totally fail to see what the new manager has brought to the club. I was no fan of Lennon but the added spice with him in the dugout usually meant we didn't get rolled over by anyone. The crowd were always up for it even if the players had an off day.
I sadly predict a term of boring football and boring results with a tenure of months rather than years for the new man.

Its all about opinions but that display did not give me any confidence at all. I genuinely felt Celtic were there for the taking and if anyone had watched the Celtic Hearts game then they would be nervous about the next derby. I don't think we came anywhere near getting a result. It was a cup game and we didn't press.

I know its not popular on here but for me Milligan and Slivka offer very little, Marciano seems to have no relationship with his feet and Hanlon needs dropped.

I'm actually annoyed.

bitterly disappointed.

Call me for anything you want - I have no intention of falling out with fellow fans but the team really is flat and this appointment was incredibly poor.

The Harp Awakes
03-03-2019, 09:18 PM
I too thought we played quite well yesterday. We completely shut Celtic out in the first half, and it took a bit of magic from Forrest to unlock things for them, which they got on this occasion.

Celtic are an outstanding football team who dwarf us in terms of quality, depth, finances etc. We will lose more games against the OF than we will win. That's the way it is unfortunately.

I think the next Edinburgh Derby will be fascinating. I can see Heckingbottom cracking the enigma that is a derby win at Tynecastle. He will know how to set us up there better than Lennon ever did.

Celtic have not been brilliant away from home this season. In the league they have won 7 out of 14, and they are vulnerable away from Celtic Park. They were honking against 10 man Hearts on Wednesday and were very lucky to win. Yes we'll lose more than we win against them given the gulf in finances, but we have proven in recent games we can beat them if we are positive and have a go at them. We won the previous 2 games against them at Easter Road by getting in their faces.

I think PH deserves praise for the 3 league wins as they were tricky games, however there is no getting away from it, last night his tactics and substitutions were a big factor in us losing the game. To suggest otherwise is delusional.

SquashedFrogg
03-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Celtic have not been brilliant away from home this season. In the league they have won 7 out of 14, and they are vulnerable away from Celtic Park. They were honking against 10 man Hearts on Wednesday and were very lucky to win. Yes we'll lose more than we win against them given the gulf in finances, but we have proven in recent games we can beat them if we are positive and have a go at them. We won the previous 2 games against them at Easter Road by getting in their faces.

I think PH deserves praise for the 3 league wins as they were tricky games, however there is no getting away from it, last night his tactics and substitutions were a big factor in us losing the game. To suggest otherwise is delusional.

What tactics and substitutions should we have deployed?

Last night I saw a Hibs team exposed against a team worth millions.

Not losing any sleep if I'm being honest. Rebuild required.

Love to know how you would have won that.

Forza Fred
03-03-2019, 09:26 PM
I seem to have.

I didn't go so the opinion is from Hibs Tv but I watched it all and was pretty disappointed.
There seems to be a lack of belief that we certainly have had in the last couple of years playing the old firm.

The team is flat and the subs were as predictable as they could possibly have been. The crowd is flat and I totally fail to see what the new manager has brought to the club. I was no fan of Lennon but the added spice with him in the dugout usually meant we didn't get rolled over by anyone. The crowd were always up for it even if the players had an off day.
I sadly predict a term of boring football and boring results with a tenure of months rather than years for the new man.

Its all about opinions but that display did not give me any confidence at all. I genuinely felt Celtic were there for the taking and if anyone had watched the Celtic Hearts game then they would be nervous about the next derby. I don't think we came anywhere near getting a result. It was a cup game and we didn't press.

I know its not popular on here but for me Milligan and Slivka offer very little, Marciano seems to have no relationship with his feet and Hanlon needs dropped.

I'm actually annoyed.

bitterly disappointed.

Call me for anything you want - I have no intention of falling out with fellow fans but the team really is flat and this appointment was incredibly poor.

I do hope you wake up happy about something one day

Unseen work
03-03-2019, 09:40 PM
First 60 we were solid and frustrated the life out of Celtic, the only time they had any form of chance was as a result of us being wasteful in possession and inviting pressure

We forced them out wide constantly where they got no joy at all, Horgan especially was brilliant against Tierney and put him under constant pressure

In terms of pressure the team isn’t all action 100mph press, we keep solid and when the ball gets in certain areas we press. Omeonga and Horgan were especially good at pressurising the full backs and making them rush their decision wish resulted in us winning possession.

Although a lack of clear cut opportunities we showed good build up play on numerous occasions however lacked the quality and composure to really hurt them. We seemed a bit rushed in the final third imo especially Gray who’s distribution was awful.

Bartley had one of the worst games Iv seen him play, slow in and out of possession and careless passing which invited pressure.

Personally think Bigi is a better option is this set up as he is confident on the ball, takes a chance and has a lot more energy than Marv who gets exposed in a 2 imo.

I wish Slivka would take the game by the scruff of the neck a bit more, to me he seems to glide past opponents effortlessly and has the strength and pace to do it more regularly.

I also don’t know what other options Heck had, the squad is so thin and were lacking a lot in the attacking 3rd/wider areas.

Hes had a very good start to his career as head coach and I think he will continue to build on it especially once he recruits his own players.

Our lack of pace is crazy and I’m sure this will be addressed in the summer.

SquashedFrogg
03-03-2019, 09:49 PM
First 60 we were solid and frustrated the life out of Celtic, the only time they had any form of chance was as a result of us being wasteful in possession and inviting pressure

We forced them out wide constantly where they got no joy at all, Horgan especially was brilliant against Tierney and put him under constant pressure

In terms of pressure the team isn’t all action 100mph press, we keep solid and when the ball gets in certain areas we press. Omeonga and Horgan were especially good at pressurising the full backs and making them rush their decision wish resulted in us winning possession.

Although a lack of clear cut opportunities we showed good build up play on numerous occasions however lacked the quality and composure to really hurt them. We seemed a bit rushed in the final third imo especially Gray who’s distribution was awful.

Bartley had one of the worst games Iv seen him play, slow in and out of possession and careless passing which invited pressure.

Personally think Bigi is a better option is this set up as he is confident on the ball, takes a chance and has a lot more energy than Marv who gets exposed in a 2 imo.

I wish Slivka would take the game by the scruff of the neck a bit more, to me he seems to glide past opponents effortlessly and has the strength and pace to do it more regularly.

I also don’t know what other options Heck had, the squad is so thin and were lacking a lot in the attacking 3rd/wider areas.

Hes had a very good start to his career as head coach and I think he will continue to build on it especially once he recruits his own players.

Our lack of pace is crazy and I’m sure this will be addressed in the summer.

Agree. We need an overhaul and balance.

Through injuries and poor planning we are paying the price. I've said before I'm writing this season off. And in a positive way.

Sad to see a team be broken up but it needs it. Cup winning legends yes, but think we will see a few new faces next season. Let's look forward.

CallumLaidlaw
03-03-2019, 09:50 PM
I seem to have.

I'm actually annoyed.

bitterly disappointed.

So based on ONE game, against by far the best team in the country, you’ve decided that it was an incredibly bad appointment? [emoji85][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

B.H.F.C
03-03-2019, 09:52 PM

My biggest frustration last night was that we shifted Horgan from a position he’s being doing really well in. We basically asked him to run after Tierney for an hour, then subbed him. Felt like a total waste.

The Harp Awakes
03-03-2019, 10:14 PM
What tactics and substitutions should we have deployed?

Last night I saw a Hibs team exposed against a team worth millions.

Not losing any sleep if I'm being honest. Rebuild required.

Love to know how you would have won that.

At 1-0 down we needed to be more offensive and Mackie and Bigirimana would have provided more energy. Bartley and Mallan lack pace and introducing them both at the same time made us worse not better.

In terms of tactics, Kamberi and McNulty sat off the Celtic defence and allowed them to play. When Celtic played past them, both were out of the game and we began to get overrun down the wings and in midfield as the second half wore on. Given our game plan last night was to sit off Celtic we'd have been better playing 4-5-1. The extra man in midfield would have stopped Celtic getting as much possession and spraying the ball around with ease.

Hector Mudflap
03-03-2019, 11:52 PM
So based on ONE game, against by far the best team in the country, you’ve decided that it was an incredibly bad appointment? [emoji85][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I am pretty sure yes.
To me it looked like a team formation and substitutions that had no real belief we could win. Like NL had left behind a book in the mangers office called "thoughtless Subs when you have no ideas" Surprised he never put a second keeper on to be honest.

We had no midfield , no width and no drive.
So based on the cup game and the leaking defence from the previous three games (against arguably the worst teams in the league) I would say we are not going to be winning more than we lose.

I thought we were absolutely rank rotten.
Lots of green tinted glasses here. IMHO.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 11:56 PM
I am pretty sure yes.
To me it looked like a team formation and substitutions that had no real belief we could win. Like NL had left behind a book in the mangers office called "thoughtless Subs when you have no ideas" Surprised he never put a second keeper on to be honest.

So based on the cup game and the leaking defence from the previous three games (against arguably the worst teams in the league) I would say we are not going to be winning more than we lose.

How do you explain three league wins in a row? Two of those away from home and one with 10 men?

You're at it and your post is more than a tad suspicious.

Hector Mudflap
03-03-2019, 11:56 PM
I do hope you wake up happy about something one day

You need not worry I wake up very happy almost every morning.
I appreciate your concern.

If only more contributors on here would offer the same concerns for their fellow supporters and members.
Very gentlemanly of you.

wookie70
04-03-2019, 12:58 AM
My biggest frustration last night was that we shifted Horgan from a position he’s being doing really well in. We basically asked him to run after Tierney for an hour, then subbed him. Felt like a total waste.

That was a strange one. I'd have thought he would have swapped it when Horgan hadn't been as influential and I wonder what his reasoning was

Greenio
04-03-2019, 05:49 AM
It's not really logical compare the Celtic we played with the Celtic hearts came up against.

Not saying that the hearts win wasn't important for them, but dropping points and ending hopes of a treble treble are different motivators altogether.

Heisenberg
04-03-2019, 06:21 AM
I am pretty sure yes.

We conceded a total of three goals in the last three before playing Celtc, hardly leaking goals. We scored 8. We won away against a team we rarely beat and that was with 10 men.

Deciding Hecky is useless by disregarding those results and basing it all on one defeat against Celtc is mental.

JimBHibees
04-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Totally agree personally was delighted how organised and well coached we appeared to be for much of the game. There are weaknesses as both goals showed no way on this earth Forrest should have got the space to get that shot away without a real challenge being put in though Milligan was obviously injured. I wasnt upset when we brought on Bartley I was concerned with how poor he looked way off the pace and too slow on the ball. Not sure it was that surprising given the circumstances. Our quality when we had the ball was a concern going forward and didnt think both strikers had the best of games though the service was poor. Disappointed we fell out the game like we did however alot of good things in all that I seen and what is in no doubt IMO is that the coach has improved the team in a very short space of time.

Gatecrasher
04-03-2019, 07:22 AM
I thought we contained Celtic for the most part and kept our shape pretty well. I'm disapointed that we didnt really threaten them though. I can only remember a couple of half chances. I'm sorry to say that some of our players from the cup final team are starting to look well past their best and we need a bit of an overhaul in the squad over the summer. Hopefully Heckie will learn from Saturday, I think its good for him to see just how much of a gulf there is between us and Celtic, this will help him plan for future games. I thought Celtic looked fantastic and i cant see anyone getting in the way of a treble treble, even the players sitting on their bench are frightening and have some good young players coming through. Rangers are a different beast though, They are more free scoring but also more of a basket case.

flash
04-03-2019, 07:58 AM
It beggars belief that some feel we should have been more open when playing against a team with that front four.
The first hour was pretty much perfect in the way we contained their threat.
Where we let ourselves down was with our decision making in their final third and that's hardly the fault of a new manager.
If he is a proper coach then he will learn from days like this who he can rely on when the going gets tough.
I look forward to the summer activity.

calumhibee1
04-03-2019, 08:07 AM
It beggars belief that some feel we should have been more open when playing against a team with that front four.
The first hour was pretty much perfect in the way we contained their threat.
Where we let ourselves down was with our decision making in their final third and that's hardly the fault of a new manager.
If he is a proper coach then he will learn from days like this who he can rely on when the going gets tough.
I look forward to the summer activity.

They have the 4 best attacking players in the league at once and they play well as a unit. The idea we should have just engaged in trying to outplay them doesn’t really seem realistic to me. Last season, at a push, maybe. Certainly not this season with the squad we’ve been left with.

Since452
04-03-2019, 08:19 AM

Slightly bizaare that last nights defeat is being held up as evidence of progress from Lennon's time given Lennon's Hibs excellent record at Easter Road vs Celtic.

Over Lennons last 14/15 games we only turned up for the Celtic one. I'd rather beat the other sides around us than just Celtic.

calumhibee1
04-03-2019, 08:23 AM
Over Lennons last 14/15 games we only turned up for the Celtic one. I'd rather beat the other sides around us than just Celtic.

Absolutely. If we can win the games against the smaller teams and lose to Celtic then we’ll so alright. The other way around and we’ll be struggling like we were previously.

JeMeSouviens
04-03-2019, 09:54 AM

I was hoping to see Mackie. We did work Stevenson and Gray into some good positions but neither really delivered much of a killer ball. Obv haven't seen much of the youngster but he looks to have a good cross in him.

Hector Mudflap
04-03-2019, 10:40 AM
We conceded a total of three goals in the last three before playing Celtc, hardly leaking goals. We scored 8. We won away against a team we rarely beat and that was with 10 men.

Deciding Hecky is useless by disregarding those results and basing it all on one defeat against Celtc is mental.

Then maybe Im mental

The Dundee game was interesting in so much as we easily lost two other goals that were disallowed one of which if not both could easily have been given. Their second goal proved how leaky we were. The other fact that their fans didn't boo them off the park was also telling. St Johnstone always seems to be a crap away result but yes we won with ten men. A dodgy penalty given and one moment of quality. Aside from that we were mediocre at best. They had the better of the game. Hamilton at home was not a six goal hammering either and they played some really good stuff with some close calls and we didn't look world beaters at any time. I'm not convinced at all. I think the movement of Horgan for this game was a mistake and right now our midfield lacks any creativity while our back line leaks like a burst fridge.
If Gauld comes back them maybe that's what he was brought in for and that may push Mallan further up .

I don't want to contain Celtic at home. I want to go at them. Hearts did it with ten men and looked the better side for long periods. Thats what worries me , not because its Hearts but because they have to be pressed high . Its the only way to play against them. We sat way back at Parkhead and got the same result. Nothing has changed except we are out of the cup.

imho.

JeMeSouviens
04-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Then maybe Im mental

The Dundee game was interesting in so much as we easily lost two other goals that were disallowed one of which if not both could easily have been given. Their second goal proved how leaky we were. The other fact that their fans didn't boo them off the park was also telling. St Johnstone always seems to be a crap away result but yes we won with ten men. A dodgy penalty given and one moment of quality. Aside from that we were mediocre at best. They had the better of the game. Hamilton at home was not a six goal hammering either and they played some really good stuff with some close calls and we didn't look world beaters at any time. I'm not convinced at all. I think the movement of Horgan for this game was a mistake and right now our midfield lacks any creativity while our back line leaks like a burst fridge.
If Gauld comes back them maybe that's what he was brought in for and that may push Mallan further up .

I don't want to contain Celtic at home. I want to go at them. Hearts did it with ten men and looked the better side for long periods. Thats what worries me , not because its Hearts but because they have to be pressed high . Its the only way to play against them. We sat way back at Parkhead and got the same result. Nothing has changed except we are out of the cup.

imho.

Tiny is more than 10% smaller in area which makes a difference. Hearts pressing doesn't work at Parkhead or Murrayfield.

From the horse's mouth:

"We’ve got a fair idea of what works for us on a smaller pitch but on a bigger pitch it’s more difficult. We have a way of playing them at home which suits us. It’s not the same away. The distances are too big on the bigger pitches to do what we do at home so we have to play in a different way."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/craig-levein-it-s-easy-to-say-just-have-a-go-at-celtic-park-1-4823932

calumhibee1
04-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Then maybe Im mental

imho.

Right so because Dundee had two goals correctly ruled out for offside and we won 4-2 that isn’t good enough because it’s nearly a draw. We also didn’t batter them to a pulp leading to their fans booing them off the pitch.. also not good enough.

Won away at St J with ten men. But because it was a penalty it doesn’t count in the same way a victory with goals from open play would.

And Hamilton wasn’t a 6-0 win so that wasn’t good enough.

:confused:

Also, let’s keep in mind Hearts pressed them high up the pitch, absolutely, however Hearts also got destroyed on the counter for the first goal because of that. Hearts also only scored because of Celtic playing suicidal football at the back and giving away a pen because of it.

MinceAndTatties
04-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Totally agree personally was delighted how organised and well coached we appeared to be for much of the game. There are weaknesses as both goals showed no way on this earth Forrest should have got the space to get that shot away without a real challenge being put in though Milligan was obviously injured. I wasnt upset when we brought on Bartley I was concerned with how poor he looked way off the pace and too slow on the ball. Not sure it was that surprising given the circumstances. Our quality when we had the ball was a concern going forward and didnt think both strikers had the best of games though the service was poor. Disappointed we fell out the game like we did however alot of good things in all that I seen and what is in no doubt IMO is that the coach has improved the team in a very short space of time.
Agree with all of that.
On tactics though, I think John Hughes made a valid point in TV. Scott Brown was allowed space and time to control the game. He would have plated one striker and put a midfielder on Broonie. Omeonga would have been an interesting choice for that role. Playing more central would give scope for the pass he gave in the Saints game for McNulty.

J-C
04-03-2019, 11:51 AM

This is why we missed Boyle, he would've kept Tierney occupied and he has a bundle of energy to last the whole game.