PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere last night

Hibernian32
03-03-2019, 03:21 AM
Absolutely dead I've never felt so awkward singing songs in the east. I know the game was flat but I felt it was just me and my two mates singing

DetroitHibs
03-03-2019, 04:01 AM
This season has been one big come down. The fans have just been deflated and that was evident.

HibeeHibernian4
03-03-2019, 04:10 AM
First time in the singing section last night, was brilliant in the first half, faded away a bit in the second before the two Celtic goals obviously killed it off.

Usually sit in the East and can only hear the drum, so just assume they’re singing. Tonight was an eye-opener for me, they need to be relocated to the FF Lower or the top of the East again.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-03-2019, 04:17 AM
Sounded fine during coverage by and large.

Stokesy's on fire
03-03-2019, 05:27 AM
I thought the atmosphere was poor as well

sean04
03-03-2019, 05:35 AM
Terrible tbh!!! Where were the fans? Can't believe we had a quarter final at home against Celtic and didn't sell out. Great for the players to come out to loads of empty seats. Embarrassing. If we made the final the part timers would be greeting about no getting tickets. Get to Easter road and support hecky and the team

Libby Hibby
03-03-2019, 06:07 AM
Terrible tbh!!! Where were the fans? Can't believe we had a quarter final at home against Celtic and didn't sell out. Great for the players to come out to loads of empty seats. Embarrassing. If we made the final the part timers would be greeting about no getting tickets. Get to Easter road and support hecky and the team

Absolutely.

And move the sing section back to the East.

It’s like we have forgotten how to support the team and have a wee bit of fun.

Believe me, the players respond to the stands.

we are hibs
03-03-2019, 06:10 AM
The atmosphere will remain **** until the singing section are back in the east. Given there will probably be a big hit in season ticket sales the option will/should be there.

Fwiw the atmosphere on Friday will be better. It always is against hearts and rangers.

HibbySpurs
03-03-2019, 06:14 AM
I’ve never got the decision to move the singing section to the FF upper. Sounds noisy if you’re in the FF but the heart and soul of the atmosphere generated belongs in the East where it always used to be.

To make ER intimidating for opponents a decision was taken to tuck those who make the most noise away in a sheltered corner away from the pitch....

Madness that needs reversed ASAP.

theonlywayisup
03-03-2019, 06:27 AM
I sit in the FFL and I thought the singing in the first half was excellent. The SS were heard load where I was

I'm 100% of the opinion that they need to be back up at the upper part of Section 43. They need to be surrounded by the mass of supporters who actually sing. Someone in a previous post stated that in the SS it's actually only the first few rows who actually sing - I've no evidence to either support or contradict that comment. However it reinforces my view that they need to be closer to those who do sing and the majority of those are in the East.

Moving to the FFL will not make any difference at all.

K.Marx
03-03-2019, 06:46 AM
Looked bouncing up there from my seat in the East but unfortunately due to the awful acoustics you couldn’t hear them. Think this goes for most seats in the east stand.

Talking about moving to the FFL has been done to death and not keen to contribute to another debate on that but the ONLY way it would properly work is if a big chunk of the east stand “singers” moved over to the FFL as well. I think there are too many who are attached to the East and wouldn’t move, which is a shame. Always think having the bams behind the goal looks tremendous during big games.

In terms of the atmosphere in the ground in whole, it’s not working just now. But the guys in section 25 look to be having a bounce and a good time so maybe they’re content were they are. No idiots throwing bottles of Bucky in close proximity either 🤯

JimBHibees
03-03-2019, 06:52 AM
First time in the singing section last night, was brilliant in the first half, faded away a bit in the second before the two Celtic goals obviously killed it off.

Usually sit in the East and can only hear the drum, so just assume they’re singing. Tonight was an eye-opener for me, they need to be relocated to the FF Lower or the top of the East again.

Sit in FF upper and especially first half thought the atmosphere was brilliant. Could hear both sets of fans signing. No idea why but seems like sound doesnt carry.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2019, 07:04 AM
In the pubs and in the seats around us lots of Weegie accents so constantly on the look out for Celtic infiltrators

Reports on Twitter of several tourists looking to buy tickets being turned away from the Ticket Office

Need to move the Singing Section back to the East

Need to scrap the cheap Family Section Seats as 90% of the time the occupants do not turn up and leads to a poor atmosphere and looks embarrassing on national TV

Maybe need to relook at our pricing structure as a slight tweak in price down the way might have resulted in more hibbies making the effort

5.15pm crazy kick off time

A lot of people now work on a Saturday and found the kick off time too tight to make

Rant over!

MacGruber
03-03-2019, 07:05 AM
I find it quite puzzling. We have a new manager and won the first 3 games to get us into the top six, the last game coming from behind with 10 men. Yet it still feels like there is a disconnect between club and supporters. The record season tickets and sell outs buzz of last few years seems to have gone with the wind. Hopefully a blip and not that we are over the feel good factor completely that had been building through the Stubbs era and with Lennon's first 2 seasons. Surprised at the crowd last night

Pretty Boy
03-03-2019, 07:18 AM
I was in the FF upper and thought the atmopshere was dire. Singing section tried their best but no one was really joining in. Celtic fans were decent enough but I've heard them far louder.

Personally I think a lot of the bandwagon jumpers who appeared post May 2016 are starting to realise that we aren't going to win cups every other year, are getting bored and drifting away again. There's been a noticeable rise in empty seats at recent home games and whilst last night was a decent enough crowd for an expensive cup tie it was the continuation of a trend.

HibeeHibernian4
03-03-2019, 07:22 AM
The atmosphere will remain **** until the singing section are back in the east.

I do agree but is it really up to the singing section alone to do the singing? Can the current standers in 43 not get a song going, given that it's seen as the 'natural home' of atmosphere and all that. I think sadly the demographics of football are changing, and the East is now regularly filled with kids on iPads not paying attention, and their parent on their phone checking the latest scores/bets. You're not going to get an atmosphere going among those types, being honest. My only worry with moving the singing section back there is that others would just get complacent and let them do all the singing and while it would sound better to folk in the East, it wouldn't particularly improve the atmosphere overall.

LustForLeith
03-03-2019, 07:31 AM
I know it will never happen but I’d love to see us with half the south for every game and put the singing section there. It’s unfair to compare us to other clubs but going to the likes of Madrid and Munich games you see how they do it and it’s miles better.

mcfly
03-03-2019, 07:40 AM
I don’t think it helps having the family section in the ff 5 lower.

When the display was done and what a flag it was it looked great in the upper stand but the lower was empty and this just gives off the suggestion the ground was empty which it wasn’t.

Thats the stand where the singing section because behind the goals should be full and as intimidating as possible.

However the atmosphere was flat because the players and manager never generated any by getting in celtics faces.

Appalling performance and worrying if that’s how we approach games v the old firm.

We have to improve v rangers.

Real Emerald
03-03-2019, 10:38 AM
I know it will never happen but I’d love to see us with half the south for every game and put the singing section there. It’s unfair to compare us to other clubs but going to the likes of Madrid and Munich games you see how they do it and it’s miles better.

It would have removed 1800 from the crowd if you did that, what good would that have done? We could have closed the FF last night and had two packed stands (almost) with all the absentees last night.

CB_NO3
03-03-2019, 10:50 AM
The singing section needs to be in the centre of the famous five lower. Dempster needs to swallow her pride. Every club on the continent has their 'end'

SquashedFrogg
03-03-2019, 10:54 AM
The singing section needs to be in the centre of the famous five lower. Dempster needs to swallow her pride. Every club on the continent has their 'end'

And our end is the East.

jacomo
03-03-2019, 10:54 AM
This season has been one big come down. The fans have just been deflated and that was evident.

Were you there?

theonlywayisup
03-03-2019, 10:59 AM
the singing section needs to be in the centre of the famous five lower. Dempster needs to swallow her pride. Every club on the continent has their 'end'

not going to happen

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2019, 11:24 AM
I was in the FF upper and thought the atmopshere was dire. Singing section tried their best but no one was really joining in. Celtic fans were decent enough but I've heard them far louder.

Personally I think a lot of the bandwagon jumpers who appeared post May 2016 are starting to realise that we aren't going to win cups every other year, are getting bored and drifting away again. There's been a noticeable rise in empty seats at recent home games and whilst last night was a decent enough crowd for an expensive cup tie it was the continuation of a trend.

Absolutely. As I said on another thread when the crowds started to rise to the 16 / 18 thousand mark, make the most of this golden age folks because the minute we hit a rocky patch the faint hearts and success surfers will drift away … all I can say is it didn't take long did it? My hope was always that when the wheat was separated from the chaff our hard core would have risen from the between 7 to 9 thousand we had prior to the 2016 cup final to between 9 and 11 thousand. Lets hope that proves to be the case.

It only will be if a couple of thousand of the 5 thousand or so who have started, or returned to, watching the club on the back of the last few seasons accept that supporting a football club isn't all about cup finals and promotion parties for anybody apart from Celtic ….. Its about supporting the club through the average, bad and terrible times too ……. For folk like me when David Gray's winner hit the net on 21/05/16 it wasn't just 'winning the cup' it was our reward for sticking with Hibs for decade after decade of mostly dross.

Realistically that game yesterday was our whole season barring a stirring run for Europe in the last 3rd of the season. I don't give a stuff what time kick off was or that the game was live on some obscure TV channel ……. Far too many of our supposed support of the last three seasons showed their true colours.

Real Emerald
03-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Absolutely. As I said on another thread when the crowds started to rise to the 16 / 18 thousand mark, make the most of this golden age folks because the minute we hit a rocky patch the faint hearts and success surfers will drift away … all I can say is it didn't take long did it? My hope was always that when the wheat was separated from the chaff our hard core would have risen from the between 7 to 9 thousand we had prior to the 2016 cup final to between 9 and 11 thousand. Lets hope that proves to be the case.

It only will be if a couple of thousand of the 5 thousand or so who have started, or returned to, watching the club on the back of the last few seasons accept that supporting a football club isn't all about cup finals and promotion parties for anybody apart from Celtic ….. Its about supporting the club through the average, bad and terrible times too ……. For folk like me when David Gray's winner hit the net on 21/05/16 it wasn't just 'winning the cup' it was our reward for sticking with Hibs for decade after decade of mostly dross.

Realistically that game yesterday was our whole season barring a stirring run for Europe in the last 3rd of the season. I don't give a stuff what time kick off was or that the game was live on some obscure TV channel ……. Far too many of our supposed support of the last three seasons showed their true colours.

:top marks

Couldn't agree more, well said.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2019, 11:28 AM

Cannae argue with that

All we have left is a top six finish at best

Shrekko
03-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Atmosphere was great in the the first half- Hibs and Celtic fans singing constantly. Dunno what game some folk were at?

Yes it went quiet when Celtic scored and the usual mass clear out wasn’t good but when the game was live the atmosphere was excellent.

Real Emerald
03-03-2019, 11:36 AM

I also think a lot of folk, especially the younger ones, were liking the atmosphere and constant singing when the singing section was in the east. The stadium was really rocking during that period for most of the games, it has really felt flat and like a different experience since they moved to the FF.

theonlywayisup
03-03-2019, 11:36 AM

Can we call them the Snowflake generation?

Sorry I keep bringing this up, but it really annoys me that having been a FFL season ticket holder for the last 15 years I get people coming on here saying move the FFL family section somewhere else so that some of these Snowflakes can have a better a better sing song together. When the reality is that I'll still be there when crowds are back to 10,000 or less and many of the Snowflakes have found other things to do in a Saturday.

As my youngest is now too old for the FFL, I'll be moving next season, but that doesn't change my view that we shouldn't be alienating supporters just to stop people being embarrassed.

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Absolutely dead I've never felt so awkward singing songs in the east. I know the game was flat but I felt it was just me and my two mates singing

We relocated from the FF lower to the east for the game. At 0 - 0 me and my mate three times tried to start a song and folk around us in the far north end of the east where we were just sat on their hands. What the F is the point of paying £25 to go to a football match and not even trying to encourage the team you are supposed to be 'supporting' …. perhaps understandable when you are losing and the game is clearly gone …. but not at 0 - 0 FFS !!!

We couldn't hear the singing section even though we were about as close to them as its possible to be …. they have to be in the FF lower .. forget about back in the east … all you have to do is watch the noise away fans in the south lower can generate to accept that the FF lower is worth a go.

BoomtownHibees
03-03-2019, 11:47 AM
All we have left is a top six finish at best

I hope the ambition of those within the club are higher than yours.

We are 3 points off 5th, 6 points off 4th and 9 from 3rd with 30 points still to play for

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2019, 11:51 AM
I hope the ambition of those within the club are higher than yours.

We are 3 points off 5th, 6 points off 4th and 9 from 3rd with 30 points still to play for

According to my maths all a top six finish. :dunno:

BoomtownHibees
03-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Correct but not in the context you put it in: “all we have left is a top 6 finish” as if it wouldn’t be a decent achievement

A top 4 finish would be better than a top 6 finish so it’s not “top 6 at best” is it?

Johnny Clash
03-03-2019, 12:14 PM
It’s the large side walls of the FF and the East that block out the noise. It turns out to be the worst position in the stadium. . I can’t see any move happening to another section. The only solution is to simply fill in one corner, make it safe standing and the volume of noise will echo around the entire stadium.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Correct but not in the context you put it in: “all we have left is a top 6 finish” as if it wouldn’t be a decent achievement

A top 4 finish would be better than a top 6 finish so it’s not “top 6 at best” is it?

Ha Ha!

If I was a “ my cup is half empty “ kinda guy I could have said bottom six but I didn’t

At this point in time top six will do me the higher the better

No way are we catching Celtic or The Rangers

I think Heckingbottom if he did not appreciate it before now realises he has a tough job on his hands

Starting on Friday

Onwards and upwards

Shrekko
03-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Do you think having a possible Euro place for 4th (almost certain to be a Euro place) in our own hands is nothing much to play for?

Swedish hibee
03-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Family section £25 season tickets only for non cat A games. Most of these games are Saturday kick offs so the children can attend without being tired, not be offended by bad language and it's affordable (all the usual excuses covered).
Move the singing section to behind the goals for cat A games and atmosphere banging for live games.
Problem solved. I'm off to sort Brexit now. ..

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Do you think having a possible Euro place for 4th (almost certain to be a Euro place) in our own hands is nothing much to play for?

I am a “my glass is half full” kinda guy we have everything to play for please read my post

The higher the better

Onwards and upwards

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 12:50 PM
If any of the top three teams win the Cup (probably Celtc), then fourth place will get a European place.

We are currently only six points behind fourth place, with ten games still to play.

A stiff challenge but there's surely no harm in giving it a decent go.

hhibs
03-03-2019, 12:56 PM
If any of the top three teams win the Cup (probably Celtc), then fourth place will get a European place.

We are currently only six points behind fourth place, with ten games still to play.

A stiff challenge but there's surely no harm in giving it a decent go.

Agreed, but ,the players need to get themselves more motivated and coordinated than that performance last night.

HibeeHibernian4
03-03-2019, 02:07 PM
I also think a lot of folk, especially the younger ones, were liking the atmosphere and constant singing when the singing section was in the east. The stadium was really rocking during that period for most of the games, it has really felt flat and like a different experience since they moved to the FF.

I think this is selective memory. I've sat in the East for the last 5 years at least and a lot of games had dire atmospheres, where the away support (even if they were small sides like Morton or Falkirk) would outsing us easily. The drum would be there and they'd make a good go of it, but usually folk around them were sitting on their hands. Essentially, the East has become gentrified and contains people who not only don't sing, but are unused to the very idea of anybody singing at the football.

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 02:14 PM
I actually think the start of the rot was when the guys from Sect43, or whatever they were called at the time, moved down the front of the East and there was already quite a disconnect between them and the people at the back of the stand.

IIRC, they were trying to separate themselves from some of the more unsavoury elements of our support at the time (one away game at Livi springs to mind), so I don't blame them if that's why they moved.

It shouldn't really be up to one small group of Fans though to make the atmosphere. It helps when other people actually join in the singing.

JXM73
03-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Dunno if link will work....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iVk2EvRnj5mCrXWn9

SChibs
03-03-2019, 02:20 PM
If the east is the home of singing at Easter road and is apparently full of people willing to join in songs why would 150 or so folk moving there make it better. Why can't all these people who are in the east at the moment generate an atmosphere

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 02:30 PM
If the east is the home of singing at Easter road and is apparently full of people willing to join in songs why would 150 or so folk moving there make it better. Why can't all these people who are in the east at the moment generate an atmosphere

It's mostly one part of the East and I thought they did OK for the first hour or so.

Hibees1973
03-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Hibs team didn’t turn up yesterday, which is no surprise as some our support didn’t either.

I was in the West Stand sect 13 and was almost full. FF5 lower was sparse and when the rain came down those that were there moved further back to get more shelter. Hence, the front rows of the FF5 were empty, so didn’t look that great on TV.

Let’s be honest here. We get around 10,000 - 12,000 Hibees at games recently. The crowds Hibs publish count all the ST holders that choose not to turn up. Who are these people. Heard a rumour that some of them are adults who somehow have managed to get a child ST for £25 (they just turn up for the big league games). Has anyone else heard this?

We hit our peak around this time last year and missed an opportunity to get second and to another cup final with the team we had.

Yesterday was a shadow of that team. No creativity and unable to get chances to score.

Got to be optimistic though. With Allan, Boyle, Porteous in the team we will be better next year.

Johnny Clash
04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Ther’s no doubt that the stadium layout has a huge impact on what you can hear. Sat next to the wall in the FF blocks sound entering the East.

I think the original idea was that the singing section would let rip and the East would join in and then hopefully all Hibs sections. The lads in the FF do us proud with the singing and the banners BUT the atmosphere is never going to improve unless there’s a move. Think about all the memorable Hibs games you’ve attended. I bet every one had a cracking atmosphere with plenty singing. The players say a good atmosphere drives them on. So it’s worthy of a proper debate. Our board is meant to listen to the supporters so lets see this placed formally on the agenda alongside other important matters.

Hibernian32
04-03-2019, 01:42 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this, me and my mates are seriously considering starting our own singing section don't know how to approach hibs about this but why can't there be two? Probably to early for next season but could maybe have something sorted for half season tickets and full first season in 20/21

basehibby
04-03-2019, 02:34 PM
First up - hands up - I windae there. Had a gig on I was going to see later so watched it on the Tele for convenience. 're atmosphere - your always going to get some folk that would have their toenails pulled out before sing a song. And others (and I include myself here) who are not shy at all about belting out a Hines anthem. The trick is establishing an area and keeping them all together. For me the FF lower might work for the SS but that wee corner up the top is a waste of time. Dunno WTF the idea was sticking them up there - so bring em back to the East asap - and everyone - make an effort to join in - let's get ER bouncin again!

green with envy
04-03-2019, 02:55 PM
And our end is the East.

Traditionally 'our end' was always shooting down the slope behind the goals towards the old cowshed.

angus hibby
04-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Sitting directly behind goal in FF upper, I thought atmosphere was good.

David Gray comments in today’s papers, says “atmosphere was fantastic”.

The Modfather
04-03-2019, 05:24 PM
We relocated from the FF lower to the east for the game. At 0 - 0 me and my mate three times tried to start a song and folk around us in the far north end of the east where we were just sat on their hands. What the F is the point of paying £25 to go to a football match and not even trying to encourage the team you are supposed to be 'supporting' …. perhaps understandable when you are losing and the game is clearly gone …. but not at 0 - 0 FFS !!!

We couldn't hear the singing section even though we were about as close to them as its possible to be …. they have to be in the FF lower .. forget about back in the east … all you have to do is watch the noise away fans in the south lower can generate to accept that the FF lower is worth a go.

Is this a new facet to the age old Uber debate about whether folk decide to spend their time and money going to a game of football, but now whether they sing or not while they are there.

HibeeHibernian4
04-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Is this a new facet to the age old Uber debate about whether folk decide to spend their time and money going to a game of football, but now whether they sing or not while they are there.

It's not about being an 'uber fan' or not, it's genuinely about trying to get into these folks' heads. Was the same in Perth, was in the back row and almost everyone was sat down and only the singing section at the front were standing and singing until we got the second goal. It'd be foolish to expect the entire end to be standing and bouncing along with the songs, but it baffles me that folk don't join in (while sitting down) with We are Hibernian FC or Hail Hail. To each their own, I guess, but I'd fine football very boring if I never sung a bit.

RIP
04-03-2019, 07:39 PM
In 2011-2012 we had the loudest home support in the SPL.

That was the Calderwood era when crowds were a lot smaller.

The whole focus of Sections 42-44 at that time was to give vocal backing to the team.

The Pointer
04-03-2019, 07:52 PM
There are a couple of things here. I try to join in when I can but I know a lot of people don't get into it until they feel their voices aren't going to stand out. Also, if the team isn't playing well it's hard to want to get involved sometimes.

Even on 21/5/16 the couple on one side of me barely applauded once during the game and certainly never went bonkers at the appropriate moments, yet they did appear to be Hibs fans and enjoy the game so I suppose some folk just quietly sit and watch.

I'm afraid my children think I go too much the other way when we score, but like most I assume, I can't help myself! At my age I'm not going to change.

Shrekko
04-03-2019, 07:55 PM

There’s nothing wrong with debating stuff like why fans are fickle, don’t turn up, leave early, criticise etc etc. Football fans enjoy being part of a big noisy support and take pride in helping the team. This ‘Uber fan’ patter is garbage and is coming from folk who are being exceptionally defensive.

There are time when folk are more than happy to turn up and support the team well.

The atmosphere on Saturday however was excellent for 60 minutes and it’s weird that people are saying otherwise.

SChibs
04-03-2019, 09:22 PM
There's a lot of talk about the east stand being able to hear the singing section but does anyone know what it sounds like from the pitch? If the players can hear it loud and clear then it's a good start. Looking to the future it really needs to be directly behind the goal in the FF. You can hear the benefit when small away supports in the south lower sound decent because of the acoustics in the lower section.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2019, 06:16 PM

Bloody hell mate, its not about being an 'uber fan' …… Nobody is expecting every fan to turn up bedecked head to toe in green & white and to sing and chant for 90 minutes even if the team is getting pumped. But when twenty minutes into arguably our biggest game of the season with the score 0 - 0 folk cant even be bothered to join in with a chant of 'Hibees' 'Hibees' even after me and my mate tried to get it going 3 times, its reasonable for the fans who tried to start that chant to be a tad disappointed with their fellow 'supporters' don't you think :dunno:

And I'm not some over excitable kid hoping to start a new singing section either … I'm a 59 year old auld fart who ( naïvely it seems ) still thinks that 'supporting' your team doesn't begin and end with paying at the gate … what a bloody boring experience football would be if that was every fans attitude.

Its always been my outlook when it comes to football that the fans aren't there to witness the spectacle, they are there to be part of it … something I sometimes think too many of our fans have forgotten.