PDA

View Full Version : Mcginn to Leicester City

Leith Green
02-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Report in the record saying Rodgers is targeting Mcginn. Fee upwards of 20 million.

Diclonius
02-03-2019, 09:41 PM
£20 million? We could get an enormous sell on fee if true.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Report in the record saying Rodgers is targeting Mcginn. Fee upwards of 20 million.

Pure guesswork, imo.

He's only been in the job for 4 days.

Leith Green
02-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Pure guesswork, imo.

Maybe so , be some wedge coming our way if true though.

CMurdoch
02-03-2019, 09:43 PM

The usual bag of made up stories from the Daily Turnip

Springbank
02-03-2019, 09:49 PM
he will be in the Championship team of the year, £20m the price.
If its not leicester then itll be wolves.
money coming in this summer to er either way

Smartie
02-03-2019, 09:57 PM
It would be quite funny if the Leicester board played silly beggars and didn't stump up the fee.

ScottB
02-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Villa knocked back over £30million in the summer for Grealish...

Lancs Harp
02-03-2019, 09:58 PM

The Championship team of the year will be made up of mainly Norwich, Leeds and Sheff U players. SJM in popularity at Villa despite a good start sits behind Abraham and Grealish at least. Villa currently are just a mid table Championship side, he'll be nowhere near the Championship team of the year.

BILLYHIBS
02-03-2019, 09:59 PM
This place is nuts!

Has his first game in charge tomorrow

Wish him all the best but things can go Pete Tong quite quickly in the EPL

I also wish SJM all the best in his future career what will be will be and if there is any kick back to the Hibees in the future even better

S4uzee
02-03-2019, 10:01 PM
Maybe so , be some wedge coming our way if true though.

I assume if we have any sell on fee, it would be 10% so only £2mil which we’d never see invested anyway

B.H.F.C
02-03-2019, 10:14 PM
I assume if we have any sell on fee, it would be 10% so only £2mil which we’d never see invested anyway

‘Only’ two million? That’s about 20% of our turnover. Huge money.

You might be right on the bit about investment though.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 10:17 PM

That's an interesting comment.

What would happen to the £2m?

TelaStella
02-03-2019, 10:23 PM

A new barn for East Mains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1875STEVE
02-03-2019, 10:45 PM

33% of it would go to St Mirren

S4uzee
02-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Increased salary for a director ..... it certainly wouldn’t be put into the playing squad

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2019, 10:48 PM
What's the sell on fee?

1875STEVE
02-03-2019, 10:50 PM
What's the sell on fee?

there was conflicting bits in the papers at the time some said 10% others 15%

erin go bragh
02-03-2019, 10:50 PM
What's the sell on fee?

15% . Also heard Rodgers has been promised a £200m kitty for the summer.

CropleyWasGod
02-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Increased salary for a director ..... it certainly wouldn’t be put into the playing squad

Since we only have 1 director who gets paid, that's a helluva bonus 😆

vuefrom1875
02-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Would love it.....right up the weggies hole😎

CapitalGreen
02-03-2019, 10:56 PM

Not necessarily

Forza Fred
03-03-2019, 03:54 AM

We could put the barn in central defence....

DetroitHibs
03-03-2019, 04:10 AM

***** it on wages for the likes of Nelom, Mavrais, Agyepong and Bigirimana.

SquashedFrogg
03-03-2019, 06:26 AM

Doubt our new manager would waste money in a similar fashion.

we are hibs
03-03-2019, 06:31 AM
McGinn will get his chance eventually. Just needs to keep working away and doing what hes doing. I read an Aston Villa forum a few weeks back when they were going through a poor run and he was the only one getting pass marks throughout that run. I don't think he will ever reach top 6 level in the EPL but he could do well at a West Ham or Newcastle who would enjoy and appreciate what he does.

WellingtonHibby
03-03-2019, 07:00 AM

"certainly"

Hibee Mac
03-03-2019, 07:42 AM

Do we know this? Seems to me that this would be a specific in the contract.

BoomtownHibees
03-03-2019, 07:45 AM
Do we know this? Seems to me that this would be a specific in the contract.

I don’t think it would. The 33% (if accurate) was for when we sold SJM, I don’t think it would be for any future sell-ons that we may have implemented

danhibees1875
03-03-2019, 08:05 AM
I don’t think it would. The 33% (if accurate) was for when we sold SJM, I don’t think it would be for any future sell-ons that we may have implemented

Either is possible, it will just depend what was written in the contract.

I would imagine a reasonable contract would be more likely to include future earnings though and so we'd be due to pay a % of our %.

PatHead
03-03-2019, 08:05 AM
The Championship team of the year will be made up of mainly Norwich, Leeds and Sheff U players. SJM in popularity at Villa despite a good start sits behind Abraham and Grealish at least. Villa currently are just a mid table Championship side, he'll be nowhere near the Championship team of the year.

Was at a Villa match a couple of weeks ago. Grealish is their star but Abraham just scores goals according to them. They rateSJM more than him.

Sammy7nil
03-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Correct

truehibernian
03-03-2019, 08:47 AM

I was speaking to Hibs staff at an event at HTC and they were saying that the new indoor pitch had to be built this year (or started this year) as part of the local agreement with Hibs and the local authority - they mentioned it was due to opening up to the community - so you may be right in the sense that the money has to come from somewhere, whether that's been factored in as loans/mortgage or part financing from player sales I don't know. But it needs to be built.

Onceinawhile
03-03-2019, 09:17 AM
15% . Also heard Rodgers has been promised a £200m kitty for the summer.

He's not. He's been promised 200 million over his contract e.g 5 windows. The papers just reported it that way as it looks better.

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 09:30 AM

:hilarious

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Whether you like the players or not is irrelevant. That's still investigating it.

As it would be if we upgraded East Mains.

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 09:40 AM
St Mirren may well have had a clause in the contract where they received a percentage of McGinn's sell on fee when he left Hibs, but that's it, done and dusted.

They're not entitled to a percentage of any sell on for the rest of his career.

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 09:40 AM
St Mirren may well have had a clause in the contract where they received percentage of McGinn's sell on fee when he left Hibs, but that's it, done and dusted.

I would think that's most likely.

Onceinawhile
03-03-2019, 09:42 AM
St Mirren may well have had a clause in the contract where they received a percentage of McGinn's sell on fee when he left Hibs, but that's it, done and dusted.

Yes they are. As is any team who he has played for.

Kaff
03-03-2019, 10:07 AM

Most sell on clauses are more usually worded 'x% of any profit made on the sale of player y'
I think Steven Fletcher continually made us sell on profits due to this since he moved quite frequently for big fees.
If St Mirren had worded it correctly then 33% of 15% for any McGinn sale soon would be good value, as will us getting 15% of this £20m being talked about

CapitalGreen
03-03-2019, 10:09 AM

At the very least St Mirren will receive a solidarity contribution having trained McGinn from a young age. However they may also receive 33% of whatever sell-on fee we have in place depending on how the clause was stipulated when McGinn signed for us. For a relevant example of this see Steven Fletchers transfer from Wolves to Sunderland where Hibs received a % of the sell on fee Burnley had agreed with Wolves.

Silky
03-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Pay off Hecky!!!:wink:::duck:

judas
03-03-2019, 11:33 AM

There’s one born every minute 🙄

Michael
03-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Obviously none of us have seen the contract. However, I think it's almost certain that St Mirren will get 33% of all compensation we receive.

So if the initial fee was £3m then we'd have £2m and they'd have got £1m.

Then if we get 10% of a 20m sale then we'd get an additional £1.3m and St Mirren would get an additional £0.7m.

Cabbage East
03-03-2019, 01:39 PM

You’re just completely slavering mate.

cabbageandribs1875
03-03-2019, 02:00 PM

i'd be seriously p@ssed with whoever the negotiator was at our club if this was so, i'm still p@ssed that we even gave them 33%(although RP denies it was anywhere near as high as this) in the first place considering SJM was out of contract the end of that season(iirc) and held all the aces a wanted player has, and should have sued the buddies for 'speargate' as the thrower of said spear was also employed by them at the time :)

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 04:49 PM
At the very least St Mirren will receive a solidarity contribution having trained McGinn from a young age. However they may also receive 33% of whatever sell-on fee we have in place depending on how the clause was stipulated when McGinn signed for us. For a relevant example of this see Steven Fletchers transfer from Wolves to Sunderland where Hibs received a % of the sell on fee Burnley had agreed with Wolves.

OK, fair enough, I didn't realize you could get a Sell On Clause that also included the buyer's future Sell On Clause

TBH, that kinda give me a headache just thinking about it.

:greengrin

dalkeith stu
03-03-2019, 05:16 PM

New 11 aside barn being built in the summer!!!

DetroitHibs
03-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Is this 33% that St Mirren got the new .Net fact? Pretty sure Petrie said it was nowhere near that.

Springbank
03-03-2019, 06:10 PM
You’re just completely slavering mate.

really?

lets talk in may fella

mcginn has scored the goal of the season down there & been the most talked about midfielder in that league. no?

Leith Green
03-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Obviously none of us have seen the contract. However, I think it's almost certain that St Mirren will get 33% of all compensation we receive.

So if the initial fee was £3m then we'd have £2m and they'd have got £1m.

Then if we get 10% of a 20m sale then we'd get an additional £1.3m and St Mirren would get an additional £0.7m.

Id be surprised if we settled for 10 per cent when we sold him to villa. Id be more thinking about 20 per cent to be honest.

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2019, 06:28 PM
I wonder if by initially agreeing to a high percentage (33%) :confused: they then had to forfeit any further sell on fee if he was sold on again after Hibs?

eastcoasthibby
03-03-2019, 10:32 PM

Yeh it would another sports scientist, scout and physio(to help with all our injured players) ..remember these are all part of the playing staff ....

jacomo
03-03-2019, 11:03 PM

Every Villan I’ve spoken to loves SJM. Not sure how many other clubs are monitoring him though.

Auckland Hibs
03-03-2019, 11:14 PM
If St. Mirren managed to secure an upfront transfer fee of ~200k plus 33% on all future transfer fee profit then we should be hiring their negotiator.

CapitalGreen
04-03-2019, 12:43 AM
If St. Mirren managed to secure an upfront transfer fee of ~200k plus 33% on all future transfer fee profit then we should be hiring their negotiator.

Do you think we overpaid for McGinn?

£200k up front and in return we got 3 years out of him where he was a Scottish Cup winner, Championship winner, excellent derby and old firm record and signed off by scoring the key away goal in a memorable European tie plus much more on top of all that. We then reportedly received £3m for him possibly raising to over £5m based on future transfers.

Remember at the time of the deal we were in the Championship for a second season, attendances were poor and we were about to lose our parachute payments. Without the sell-on % we probably wouldn’t have been able to afford him.

Chip shop Joe
04-03-2019, 08:51 AM
This could actually happen as much as a GIRUY to Lawwell, as anything else.

Brenda makes a real statement by saying this is the player I wanted last season and you (Lawell) were too tight to pay the money for him and you could have sold him for x (whatever Leicester bought him for) a season later.

Now that I am at a decent club I will just shell out the 20 million or however much to get him, because I can, so GIRUY!

Maybe I just have a vindictive mind but it would certaibly make me smile!

Hibbyradge
04-03-2019, 09:05 AM
This could actually happen as much as a GIRUY to Lawwell, as anything else.

Brenda makes a real statement by saying this is the player I wanted last season and you (Lawell) were too tight to pay the money for him and you could have sold him for x (whatever Leicester bought him for) a season later.

Now that I am at a decent club I will just shell out the 20 million or however much to get him, because I can, so GIRUY!

Maybe I just have a vindictive mind but it would certaibly make me smile!

This is a manager being paid £millions to coach a football team worth multi millions.

Do you really think his decision making will be motivated by a desire to annoy a previous CEO?

Juniper Greens
04-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Id be surprised if we settled for 10 per cent when we sold him to villa. Id be more thinking about 20 per cent to be honest.

I heard it was 15, of which St Mirren are due a third, giving us net 10%

brog
04-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Things can change very quickly in football. SJM has been widely acknowledged amongst Villa fans as being their best player in a disappointing campaign so far. As of a week or 2 back there would have been absolutely no chance of him being sold, even for £20m. However Villa had their best result of the season on Saturday without SJM & their other 2 left sided midfielders scored 3 of their 4 goals. It's possible the manager may not want to change a winning team & SJM could find himself on the bench for a spell. Doesn't really change too much though, reserve Championship players are worth £20m+ these days & I very much doubt SJM will be going anywhere this summer. We won't see any extra money for some time yet I believe.

04Sauzee
04-03-2019, 10:31 AM
If Vila aren't promoted this season which they probably won't I would imagine Grealish will be sold. I would think it's unlikely both Grealish and McGinn are sold especially with Abraham's loan being up.

Smartie
04-03-2019, 10:36 AM

Seriously?

Whoever negotiated the transfer of John McGinn on our behalf for just £200k and a 33% sell on clause is the negotiator we need to be securing forever.

Some might say that is a win/win scenario but I cannot see how we didn't get the better end of that deal.

Chip shop Joe
04-03-2019, 10:53 AM
This is a manager being paid £millions to coach a football team worth multi millions.

Do you really think his decision making will be motivated by a desire to annoy a previous CEO?

Who knows!

He previously wanted McGinn and it is clear that he is ready for the Premiership so by signing him he strengthens his own team and sticks two fingers up at his old boss. Not too far fetched Shirley?

04-03-2019, 11:26 AM
It would be quite funny if the Leicester board played silly beggars and didn't stump up the fee.

And spend £20m on disco lights instead.

basehibby
04-03-2019, 11:53 AM

This must be a contender for gratuitously torn face whingebasket of the week - stay away from razor blades

I'm Spartacus
04-03-2019, 11:54 AM
See the Malky McKay email chat after the Salah death regarding agents throwing players names and figures around to engineer a move elsewhere, that tells me McGinns agent is starting the process in getting his name out there that he'd love a move, or the club have another target and want a quick cash in.

Springbank
04-03-2019, 12:11 PM
I see Sky Sports are promoting SJM again today, asking whose goal this season was better, Grealish or McGinn

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1102524360043180032

King Dominique
04-03-2019, 12:14 PM

I don't know I hope its not what happened with the last fee received. **** all

stantonhibby
04-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Birmingham Mail has story re Rodgers going for McGinn in the summer.

King Dominique
04-03-2019, 12:17 PM
This must be a contender for gratuitously torn face whingebasket of the week - stay away from razor blades

Or somebody who thinks the board aren't showing enough ambition with investments in players....

Since452
04-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Wish Rodgers was at Leicester earlier. Could have cut out the middle man (Villa) and just offered Hibs 20 million 🙄. Shows how crazy English football is. Half a season in an overrated league and he's gone from £3m to £20m in value. Makes me sick.

MWHIBBIES
04-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Wish Rodgers was at Leicester earlier. Could have cut out the middle man (Villa) and just offered Hibs 20 million 🙄. Shows how crazy English football is. Half a season in an overrated league and he's gone from £3m to £20m in value. Makes me sick.
He's playing well at a bigger club in a better league and has years on his contract. Does it really make you sick? Quite simple really.

HoboHarry
04-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Or somebody who thinks the board aren't showing enough ambition with investments in players....
Oh aye right, the Academy doesn't count as investment in players,,,,,,

Hibbyradge
04-03-2019, 06:05 PM
I don't know I hope its not what happened with the last fee received. **** all

What? :crazy:

Where is it then?

Hibbyradge
04-03-2019, 06:09 PM

We've been paying fees to sign players, and recruiting expensive loanees.

We spend all the money we get in.

How can Hibs "show more ambition with investments"?

King Dominique
04-03-2019, 06:37 PM
What? :crazy:

Where is it then?
Sitting in a bank account.

King Dominique
04-03-2019, 06:37 PM
We've been paying fees to sign players, and recruiting expensive loanees.

We spend all the money we get in.

How can Hibs "show more ambition with investments"?

Well that’s a bold thing to state “we spend all the money we get in” do you have anything to back that up?

King Dominique
04-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Oh aye right, the Academy doesn't count as investment in players,,,,,,

Like your excessive use of commas. Your post doesn’t make much sense.

Peevemor
04-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Well that’s a bold thing to state “we spend all the money we get in” do you have anything to back that up?

What about the fact that we post a loss in our annual accounts more often than not?

superfurryhibby
04-03-2019, 06:42 PM

Annual accounts?

What do you think we do with our money? Why wouldn’t we spend what we can afford?

hibbydad
04-03-2019, 06:42 PM
Look at the accounts Hibby Radge is right the funds carried forward is in respect of the next season's season ticket sales

Michael
04-03-2019, 07:03 PM
What about the fact that we post a loss in our annual accounts more often than not?

We all know facts don't count.

Hibbyradge
04-03-2019, 09:44 PM

Yes. The annual accounts, year after year.