PDA

View Full Version : Milligan

villahibs
02-03-2019, 06:44 PM
I’m sorry but I just don’t get it...

So slow and ponderous on the ball, usually resulting in a rushed aimless kick out the park or a heavy pass putting a defender under pressure in a dangerous area.

I appreciate he must have something about him (maybe he’s struggling to settle) but he’s just not for me. Against a high pressing team with any pace he’s a liability in there.

truehibernian
02-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Don't think he will be here next season anyway.

MinceAndTatties
02-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Spot on. Bartley was even worse when he came on.

Aim Here
02-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Why do we play him? The alternative for a defensive midfielder is Bartley, and he wasn't any better today.

Why is he in the roster in the first place? Lenny was a bit slack replacing McGeouch and McGinn in time in the summer, and he was on a free contract.

OsloHibs
02-03-2019, 06:49 PM
I posted on another thread and a few liked him, but I'm totally with you. He must be on a not bad wage too.

The Spaceman
02-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Actually thought he was decent today??

BoomtownHibees
02-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Why do we play him? The alternative for a defensive midfielder is Bartley, and he wasn't any better today.

Why is he in the roster in the first place? Lenny was a bit slack replacing McGeouch and McGinn in time in the summer, and he was on a free contract.

We play him because he has been pretty decent since coming back from International duty. Today he never done much wrong up until he let Forrest just step past him with ease and stick one in the top corner.

In the roster?? What does that even mean?

Allant1981
02-03-2019, 06:51 PM
He has been one of our best performers in the last few games but let's all jump on the bandwagon again after a defeat

Forza Fred
02-03-2019, 06:51 PM

Me too.

Thought it was all going to go badly when Marv replaced him

Diclonius
02-03-2019, 06:52 PM
He's been fine since he came back.

CraigHibee
He has been one of our best performers in the last few games but let's all jump on the bandwagon again after a defeat

They need someone to slag after a defeat, it'll be someone else next time

we are hibs
I posted on another thread and a few liked him, but I'm totally with you. He must be on a not bad wage too.

Considering we were linked with him early in the summer and wages were said to be the stumbling block until mcginn left/was leaving He must be close to being one of our highest earners and he has shown absolutely nothing to justify it so far.

tamig
02-03-2019, 06:53 PM

I know. This place is crazy at times. But so predictable nowadays.

thegaffer12
02-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Milligan's been great the past few games. Unfortunately he doesn't have the pace for a team like Celtic though, which is to be expected. I'd keep him in the team for the time being.

SChibs
02-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Considering we were linked with him early in the summer and wages were said to be the stumbling block until mcginn left/was leaving He must be close to being one of our highest earners and he has shown absolutely nothing to justify it so far.

I heard Horgan was our highest earner on £4500 a week. I reputable YouTube channel who does football fact videos was doing a video on the highest earners in each Premiership team. Not got a reason to doubt him though this may have changed depending on how much hibs are contributing to McNultys wage.

hibee_girl
02-03-2019, 06:55 PM

Me too

we are hibs
02-03-2019, 06:55 PM
I heard Horgan was our highest earner on £4500 a week. I reputable YouTube channel who does football fact videos was doing a video on the highest earners in each Premiership team. Not got a reason to doubt him though this may have changed depending on how much hibs are contributing to McNultys wage.

Absolutely No chance it's Horgan. And it certainly won't be 4 and a half grand a week.

villahibs
02-03-2019, 06:57 PM

Don’t think anyone is jumping on the bandwagon after a defeat to be fair... he’s not for me, others clearly disagree which is what a forum is all about I suppose.

It’s just my opinion. I don’t rate him and think he causes us a few unnecessary problems in there with his lack of pace and general decision making.

Allant1981
02-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Don’t think anyone is jumping on the bandwagon after a defeat to be fair... he’s not for me, others clearly disagree which is what a forum is all about I suppose.

It’s just my opinion. I don’t rate him and think he causes us a few unnecessary problems in there with his lack of pace and general decision making.

So you haven't seen the last few games then I take it

supermcginn
02-03-2019, 07:00 PM
He's slow and average. Hopefully away at the end of season

we are hibs
02-03-2019, 07:01 PM

He's hardly been strolling through the last few games either. This is the equivalent of people thinking Whittaker was having a good game earlier this season because he wasn't having a nightmare. What has he actually done in the midfield that's influenced how the game has went?

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2019, 07:01 PM

Milligan had a decent first half. Tired in the second and rightly got hooked. Certainly wasn't our worst player.

villahibs
02-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Yeah, why?

judas
Absolutely No chance it's Horgan. And it certainly won't be 4 and a half grand a week.

The Heck has already said that Barnsley were interested in Horgan a while back but were priced out. So...

truehibernian
He's slow and average. Hopefully away at the end of season

He will be.

BoyledEgg
02-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Milligan had a decent first half. Tired in the second and rightly got hooked. Certainly wasn't our worst player.

They were all knackered by 60 minutes. Spent that much time chasing the ball they were too tired to do anything with it when they had it. Don’t know what Heckingbottom was thinking by getting Kamberi to defend at the edge of the Hibs box at times. I get he wants to defend from the front but that needs to be done 50 yards further up the park.

DetroitHibs
02-03-2019, 07:12 PM
He's an okay player. If you want to be challenging in the top four, then he's not good enough. He's good enough for a mid table team though.

Hiber-nation
02-03-2019, 07:13 PM

And you are correct. To bring on Bartley for him was criminal.

wookie70
02-03-2019, 07:14 PM
Thought he was ok first half bit knackered after 50 minutes. Marv looks injured so he is playing because he is all we have in the DM position barring Marv. Need two more defensive midfielders next year.

Allant1981
02-03-2019, 07:20 PM
He's hardly been strolling through the last few games either. This is the equivalent of people thinking Whittaker was having a good game earlier this season because he wasn't having a nightmare. What has he actually done in the midfield that's influenced how the game has went?

Yes he has, he has been one of our best players since he came back into the team

Allant1981
02-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Yeah, why?

So what problems has he caused us then?

BoyledEgg
02-03-2019, 07:23 PM

Don’t know what you were watching but he could barely run for 5 minutes before the goal.

Hibs90
02-03-2019, 07:25 PM

That channel is not reputable in anyway way shape or form.

we are hibs
02-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Yes he has, he has been one of our best players since he came back into the team

Some absolutely stunning evidence to back that claim up there. What does he do that influences games? Infact what does he actually do on the park other than 5 or 10 yard side and backward passes? He's dreadful and living off a false reputation built up in a pub league in Australia.

CapitalGreen
02-03-2019, 07:28 PM
I heard Horgan was our highest earner on £4500 a week.

😂😂😂

A reputable YouTube channel

😂😂😂

football fact videos

😂😂😂

Not got a reason to doubt him though

😂😂😂

allmodcons
02-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Moaning barstewards. Celtic have better players than us because they have a huge budget compared to us. Get over it.

emerald green
02-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Forrest walked past Milligan like he wasn't there, then Slivka, before scoring. Milligan was then substituted. I'm not sure if he was carrying a knock, but he looked finished.

villahibs
02-03-2019, 07:36 PM
So what problems has he caused us then?

Listen, I’m not arguing with you. You clearly see a player there and I don’t...

The game slows down when the ball works it’s way to him. He ponders on the ball and always seems caught in 2 minds. He’s not great in the air and doesn’t seem particularly strong in the tackle.

Because of the position he plays, generally when he loses possession we’re going to be in trouble.

He’s obviously got something about him based purely on his number of national caps but I just find his style of play infuriating.

We’ve been involved in big games and afterwards I’ve though ‘big Marvin completely bossed that’... I’m not getting that with Milligan. There’s no real presence or enough quality there for me.

Is he a midfielder trying to play? A holding midfielder? A centre back playing out of position? I’m not even sure of that...

villahibs
02-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Some absolutely stunning evidence to back that claim up there. What does he do that influences games? Infact what does he actually do on the park other than 5 or 10 yard side and backward passes? He's dreadful and living off a false reputation built up in a pub league in Australia.

That’s very harsh...

But exactly where I’m at 😂

Wee Effen Bee
02-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Who’s next for the Whittaker/Stevenson/Hanson scapegoating? Milligan played well first half - always available and harried their midfielders. Tired after the break, as did a lot of them, maybe due to the exertions in the St J game? Has anyone had a go at Bartley yet? Worst sub’s performance I’ve seen in a long time. But, then again, he played well on Wednesday and I’m not a kneejerking reactionist so he won’t get pellets from me anyway.

BoomtownHibees
02-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Who’s next for the Whittaker/Stevenson/Hanson scapegoating? Milligan played well first half - always available and harried their midfielders. Tired after the break, as did a lot of them, maybe due to the exertions in the St J game? Has anyone had a go at Bartley yet? Worst sub’s performance I’ve seen in a long time. But, then again, he played well on Wednesday and I’m not a kneejerking reactionist so he won’t get pellets from me anyway.

Can’t believe anybody would make Hanson a scapegoat after a classic like Mmmbop

J-C
02-03-2019, 07:55 PM
We have an ageing team and Milligan is not the answer, major overhaul this summer again.

LaMotta

He was decent but he was clearly crocked and should have been replaced 10 mins earlier.

hibsbollah

Bartley coming on when we are 1-0 down in a cup tie shows the talent gap between us and them, it's that simple. I love Marv, especially for some amazing derby displays, but he's going to get outclassed at this stage in his career against players like that.

villahibs
02-03-2019, 07:56 PM

Bartley had a mare...

He’s also put in a few man of the match performances in big big games.

I don’t think Milligan is capable of those type of performances.

JimBHibees
02-03-2019, 07:59 PM

Agree like the team good in first half not so much on second half.

Stokesy's on fire
02-03-2019, 08:00 PM
MM will be away at the end of the season he isnt good enough in my view better options out there

Real Emerald
02-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Bartley had a mare...

He’s also put in a few man of the match performances in big big games.

I don’t think Milligan is capable of those type of performances.

Milligan is finished as a midfield player and nowhere near the energy we need to be beating Celtic. Bartley had an absolute mare after coming on and so did Malian. Milligan can’t be here next season though.

Allant1981
02-03-2019, 08:06 PM

Aye ok

Chip shop Joe
02-03-2019, 08:08 PM
I actually thought he was ok. To be fair Forrest could do that to anyone in the country.

Milligan is slow but always looks for ball, granted he doesn’t always go forward with it!

If however he is one of our biggest earners then the money could be better spent.

FRes Hibbie
02-03-2019, 08:27 PM
I think Milligan did alright tonight actually - apart from allowing Forrest past him too easily for their first. Bartley was useless when he came on too.

Generally though I have no time for Milligan. I assume he's one of our highest earners and, if that's the case, he's nowhere near value for money. I'm all for a midfielder dropping deep to take the ball off the centre backs to try to start moves but when he does it all he does is hoof it forward. If you're going to hoof it just let the centre backs do it, a midfielder dropping just means one less target to aim for.

EVENTUALLY
02-03-2019, 08:51 PM
I think Milligan did alright tonight actually - apart from allowing Forrest past him too easily for their first. Bartley was useless when he came on too.

Generally though I have no time for Milligan. I assume he's one of our highest earners and, if that's the case, he's nowhere near value for money. I'm all for a midfielder dropping deep to take the ball off the centre backs to try to start moves but when he does it all he does is hoof it forward. If you're going to hoof it just let the centre backs do it, a midfielder dropping just means one less target to aim for.

You know what gets me about Milligan.....its when he takes possession and a forward or square pass is on albeit that the recipient player will be in a tight situation he never ever ever makes the pass and always turns back, and prefers a back pass and often succeeds in tying himself in knots.
He is not as good a player as he thinks he is and a poor judge of his team mates ability to deal with a tight situation. He also nowhere near as physically strong in the Scottish game as he thinks he is. Should be replaced asap.

Daydreamer
02-03-2019, 10:54 PM
What an absolutely dreadful midfield player he is I've said all along that Australia play him as a central defender even though he wants to play as defensive midfielder. Scott Brown who is finished and when he played against Mcginn last season was shown how really ***** he is looked like Zidane today against Milligan. Milligan should be playing beach soccer on Bondai beach. A lot of posters on here should judge players against the Old firm ,Aberdeen and the cockroaches instead of Hamilton Dundee and St Mirren

bookert
02-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Forrest walked past Milligan like he wasn't there, then Slivka, before scoring. Milligan was then substituted. I'm not sure if he was carrying a knock, but he looked finished.

To be fair milligan looked as he was injured/knackered five minutes before that. I think we never reacted as a team to forrest moving just behind the main striker, my concern is the coach didn't do anything to negate a new threat.

Hiber-nation
02-03-2019, 11:12 PM
Don’t know what you were watching but he could barely run for 5 minutes before the goal.

Obviously not Milligan then, I honestly never noticed.

I was more concerned that he brought Bartley on instead of Birgimana.

Ozyhibby
02-03-2019, 11:31 PM
They need someone to slag after a defeat, it'll be someone else next time

Who’s they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
02-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Me too

You always think he was good?[emoji23]

My_Wife_Camille
02-03-2019, 11:38 PM
Looked good when we played the bottom three teams back to back and was poor for months until we played the bottom sides again. Nowhere near good enough for Hibernian in the long term

neil7908
03-03-2019, 06:06 AM
I think he's one of a number of Hibs players who are decent in the SPL but struggle when playing the better teams.

The likes of Efe, McGinn and Allan are quality players who loved going up against the likes of Celtic, Hearts etc and would raise their performance levels accordingly.

But when I see Horgan, Milligan, Mallan and others it just looks a step too far for them at times.

cleanyman
03-03-2019, 06:14 AM
I think he's one of a number of Hibs players who are decent in the SPL but struggle when playing the better teams.

The likes of Efe, McGinn and Allan are quality players who loved going up against the likes of Celtic, Hearts etc and would raise their performance levels accordingly.

But when I see Horgan, Milligan, Mallan and others it just looks a step too far for them at times.

I agree with the above

hibee_girl
03-03-2019, 08:14 AM
You always think he was good?[emoji23]

I don’t. When he plays badly I’ll say so but since he came back from playing for Australia he’s been playing well imo.

Squirrel 1875
03-03-2019, 08:23 AM
Think he’s been on to a game since coming back from Dubai. Covers Hanlon’s mistakes well. Wouldn’t mind Bigirimana getting a shot.

JSR1875
03-03-2019, 08:30 AM
I don’t. When he plays badly I’ll say so but since he came back from playing for Australia he’s been playing well imo.

Milligan has cost 2, arguably 3 goals since the winter break - losing his man at a corner on 2 occasions, and that embarassment last night.

If that’s him playing well - I would hate to see him have a poor game!

Need much better in there

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2019, 08:32 AM
We had a very good team last season, with a fantastic midfield. We lost all of them, McGinn McGeouch Allan and Barker.

We've had to replace them, and we've had the worst injury crisis in my memory with practically every player being injured at one time or another, and for long periods too.

Efe has gone too, player of the year by miles, yes we need another rebuild next season but if we were to finish 6th, i'd say all things considered, we will have done as good as any reasonable person could expect.

allmodcons
03-03-2019, 08:35 AM

All comes down to budgets. We have pushed the boat out to sign Scott Allan and simply can't afford players like McGinn and Ambrose.

truehibernian
03-03-2019, 08:41 AM
All comes down to budgets. We have pushed the boat out to sign Scott Allan and simply can't afford players like McGinn and Ambrose.

It's up to PH, George and Mathie to unearth the next McGinn and Ambrose - there are loads of good players out there, many in the lower divisions or in teams around us that are well within budget. I do take your point, but the McGinns of this world became 'outwith our budget' after they came here, were coached really well, and worked hard at their game and lived properly on and off the pitch.