PDA

View Full Version : Going out the cup like that

cleanyman
02-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Is poor

I don't care what the score is as long as we have a go

To go out with a whimper like that is pish

You can't beat Celtic by sitting in. You have a go.

Ultimately the football hasn't been good enough this season and the fans voted with their feet.

Well done to those who turned up and hopefully we can secure a top six finish this year

TheMentalHibees
02-03-2019, 06:10 PM
I know we’re limited with squad options but we didn’t half make it easy for Celtic tonight. First half was alright but second we showed them far too much respect, sat off and let them come at us. Both the goals were poor but mistakes like that will happen when you invite pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barnton Hibs
02-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Is poor

Ultimately the football hasn't been good enough this season and the fans voted with their feet.

Well done to those who turned up and hopefully we can secure a top six finish this year

Ever occur to you that they maybe also stopped us playing, they have better players and are fast on break meaning we can't commit too many forward? Thought not.

cleanyman
02-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Ever occur to you that they maybe also stopped us playing, they have better players and are fast on break meaning we can't commit too many forward? Thought not.

I don't care about them

I care about how WE play

And we were too negative. Ever thought about that ?

cleanyman
02-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Too easy. Simple.

One Day Soon
02-03-2019, 06:13 PM
That was a ****ing disgrace.

SaulGoodman
02-03-2019, 06:13 PM
You could cut the passive aggressiveness in this thread with a knife

Greencore
02-03-2019, 06:14 PM
*****. Total *****.

Barnton Hibs
02-03-2019, 06:14 PM
I don't care about them

I care about how WE play

And if we had gone out all gung go, and lost, you would have been happy? Behave

A Hi-Bee
02-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Is poor

The game was lost before we even got on the park, no fire in that side before a game like this, what the **** were they scared off.

cleanyman
02-03-2019, 06:15 PM
You could cut the passive aggressiveness in this thread with a knife

Sorry what's wrong with it ?

I'm only posting an opinion

People can disagree if they wish

cleanyman
02-03-2019, 06:16 PM
And if we had gone out all gung go, and lost, you would have been happy? Behave

Yes

Because it's the cup and we are playing Celtic

The score is irrelevant

You have a go

R'Albin
Cowardly performance. It was obvious right from the start that it'd be a comfortable win for them.

Losing is one thing but that was embarrassing.

we are hibs
I thought we competed well enough first half without really creating anything. Second half was woeful though. Barely laid a glove on them.

02-03-2019, 06:17 PM
The game was lost before we even got on the park, no fire in that side before a game like this, what the **** were they scared off.

No fire because half the home support are sympathising with a rat like Lennon instead of the club

Barnton Hibs
02-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Yes

Because it's the cup and we are playing Celtic

The score is irrelevant

You have a go

Well in my opinion, that would be naive. Not happy we lost, and yes, pretty poor performance, especially second half but a bit of realism wouldn't go amiss

hibIBZ
02-03-2019, 06:18 PM
I thought we played well. We came up against Celtic on a good night. They defend well and were quick to neutralise out threats. For me out negatives were our crossing which was poor and wasted our good positions and I felt we were a bit soft and need to take a yellow here and there to impose ourselves

Since452
02-03-2019, 06:19 PM
That ladies and gentlemen is the shambles Neil Lennon left. That performance was very much like Lennons 2 wins in 15 run.

A Hi-Bee
02-03-2019, 06:22 PM
No fire because half the home support are sympathising with a rat like Lennon instead of the club

Its no the support thats on the pitch.

Onceinawhile
02-03-2019, 06:23 PM
If we had come out to play they'd have taken 5 or 6 off us and you'd be moaning that we should have sat deep.

Celtic are the best team in the country and on a different level in the cup. We got beat, it's disappointing, move on to the next one.

GreenCastle
02-03-2019, 06:24 PM
With lack of pace we sat deep. As was worried about Celtic’s pace.

We wasted lots of energy first half and 2nd half it showed as we weren’t close enough.

Hearts can press high all game at Tynie as it’s played on the smallest pitch in the league.

Nicho87
What the master plan do the job at Celtic park. Sorry Heckingbottom that was depressing as it comes. Far too much respect shown to a peely waaly Celtic team. Have a go man.

The_Horde
Today was a real test of how Heckingbottom will pan out as hibs manager. Is he the attacking, high pressing kind that he says he is?

I think the answer is no. As usual, high press and direct style is an excuse for hoofball and stifling the opposition.

Too much focus on Celtic and not enough on how we can attack them.

bigwheel
02-03-2019, 06:25 PM
That ladies and gentlemen is the shambles Neil Lennon left. That performance was very much like Lennons 2 wins in 15 run.

Was it also his shambles that therefore won the last set of games? ....that was our new manager setting up the way he wanted to play, and it didn't work...trying to deflect it to Lennon is twisted poor logic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crab apple
02-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Today was a real test of how Heckingbottom will pan out as hibs manager. Is he the attacking, high pressing kind that he says he is?

I think the answer is no. As usual, high press and direct style is an excuse for hoofball and stifling the opposition.

That's pretty much how I saw it. Celtic were good tonight but we didn't really put up a fight. I thought we looked organised, neat and tidy but when they scored I didn't see us coming back. I hope Hecky learns from this as I wouldn't want us to regress back to the pre Lennon, pre Stubbs days when there was sometimes a lack of belief when we played the infirm.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2019, 06:28 PM
No fight, no enthusiasm and out without a whimper. Worrying.

GreenCastle
02-03-2019, 06:29 PM

First half we were fine - play like that and we will be near top half of league more often than not.

mcfly
02-03-2019, 06:30 PM

That was poor, no shots on goal negative set up and overall an awful performance.

Our defence needs a clear out I’m afraid.

B.H.F.C
02-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Pathetic performance. No guts. No belief.

mcfly
02-03-2019, 06:31 PM

If that’s his style I worry about a big drop in season tickets sales

Tonight was awful with a real lack of fight

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 06:31 PM
Until Forrest rattled one in from 25 yards, there was nothing in it. The problem was always going to be how we got back into it if they did score. It was difficult to see what big Marv could do to solve that, but even then I wasn't expecting him to be quite as bad as he was. Never hid, and will be hurting as much as anyone, but no longer good enough I'd suggest.

Mainstandman
02-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Not sure what expectations have come from but since we won the SC we've been poor in cups, we've progressed through some rounds but only against poorer opposition. We've only beaten a premier league side once, hearts 3-1 in the replay.

GreenCastle
02-03-2019, 06:32 PM
No fight, no enthusiasm and out without a whimper. Worrying.

I think the team are playing for Hecky more than they did Lennon.

Flo and Horgan definitely are getting better.

Beefster
02-03-2019, 06:33 PM
That was a ****ing disgrace.

Too right. Poor stuff for the manager and the players.

Allant1981
I don't care about them

I care about how WE play

We were beaten by a much better team

21sMay
We really weren't that poor today . Thought we competed well just didn't create enough chances. Really not nearly as bad as certain posters are making out.

GreenCastle
02-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Let’s wait and see how the next few weeks go as first few in league have been positive.

Judging us against a team with a £9 million pound striker isn’t going to change much.

calumhibee1
02-03-2019, 06:34 PM
Until Forrest rattled one in from 25 yards, there was nothing in it. The problem was always going to be how we got back into it if they did score. It was difficult to see what big Marv could do to solve that, but even then I wasn't expecting him to be quite as bad as he was. Never hid, and will be hurting as much as anyone, but no longer good enough I'd suggest.

That’s how I saw it. We offered very little but they didn’t offer much more. We were never getting back into it when they went ahead though.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Going out last year against a pish hearts side was imo a far, far worse result!

Aye it feels ***** going out the cup but we've just lost to the best team in the country who's going for a treble treble and haven't lost in the Scottish Cup since april 2016?

Frustrating performance but up until the forrest goal there wasn't much in it albeit Celtic were the better side.

Hecky will learn from this hopefully and we put it behind us with all focus on getting top 6 and finishing as high as possible.

DavieB
02-03-2019, 06:37 PM

We set out to contain them.....say what you want about Lennon he went out to beat the Glasgow teams that’s why we had a good record against them

SChibs
02-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Not sure what expectations have come from but since we won the SC we've been poor in cups, we've progressed through some rounds but only against poorer opposition. We've only beaten a premier league side once, hearts 3-1 in the replay.

Have we been poor in cups? We got to the semi final of both in the last 2 years have we not?

truehibernian
02-03-2019, 06:40 PM
We really weren't that poor today . Thought we competed well just didn't create enough chances. Really not nearly as bad as certain posters are making out.

We are without Boyle who is crucial to the way we attack the Old Firm at home, Gauld (to be convinced) and Agyepong (appears to be 'the best at the club' according to players but not playing competitive football !!)..........so we are always going to be 'industrial' until we get them all back in the side and have options.

I'm just hoping PH sees the defensive unit and defensive midfielders needs not just adding to but a cull - losing the sentiment and putting football first. Some players have had a good innings but now need to go at the end of the season - and it's the season review, not just a cup defeat that forms my opinion on that.

chrisski33
02-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Tbh we lost to a better side simples. We were probably never gonna win it anyway.

One Day Soon
02-03-2019, 06:43 PM

No, that’s another manager’s tactics and set up. He gets credit for three league wins and he gets all the blame for that complete Miller/Williamson of a performance.

Silky
02-03-2019, 06:44 PM

Glory hunters can GTF then. Fans support the team through good and bad, not just on the journey after winning the cup.

Real Emerald
02-03-2019, 06:46 PM
That’s how I saw it. We offered very little but they didn’t offer much more. We were never getting back into it when they went ahead though.

They didn’t offer much as in chances but probed and passed us off the park unil an opening came along, that’s what they do. We chased shadows all night. We were miles behind them on technic and athleticism unfortunately.

B.H.F.C
02-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Tbh we lost to a better side simples. We were probably never gonna win it anyway.

You can still kick them, chase them, run after them etc even if they’re better. Like we did in December. There is a way to lose a game and that wasn’t it.

mcfly
02-03-2019, 06:51 PM
We set out to contain them.....say what you want about Lennon he went out to beat the Glasgow teams that’s why we had a good record against them

Yep agree far too much respect shown

Hi Heid Yin
02-03-2019, 06:51 PM
To be fair to our new manager, he is still finding his way in the Scottish game and it would seem that "fear of losing" to the undoubted "best team in the SPL"

drove him to set us up simply to contain Celtic and maybe catch them on the break.

Such a negative/pragmatic approach can sometimes result in a "hard-fought but uninspiring narrow win" - which Craig Levein is the master of.

Sadly for PH we failed miserably in terms of overall performance and result.

Having been spoilt by our last home encounter against Celtic (where Neil Lennon set us up to "have a go at and get in Celtic's face"), todays game proved to be a damp squib.

Like I say, it's early doors for our new manager and hopefully he has learnt a valuable, if harsh, lesson about approaching the games against the SPL big guns at home.

Torto7
02-03-2019, 06:53 PM
If we had come out to play they'd have taken 5 or 6 off us and you'd be moaning that we should have sat deep.

Celtic are the best team in the country and on a different level in the cup. We got beat, it's disappointing, move on to the next one.

Hearts dominated them midweek and we've proved over the last few years if you press them high and take the game to them they are vulnerable.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2019, 06:54 PM

My expectation is that in a QF of the Scottish Cup at home regardless of who we're playing we go out and have ago. Against both Celtic and Rangers in recent seasons we've always gone out and had a go at them, and achieved better results than most.

The lack of effort and belief tonight was unacceptable and I hope that was a one off.

WhileTheChief..
02-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Their massive budget and better players didn’t help them the last few times they came to ER.

Can’t just use that as an excuse every time the old firm beat us.

vahibbie
02-03-2019, 07:00 PM
My expectation is that in a QF of the Scottish Cup at home regardless of who we're playing we go out and have ago. Against both Celtic and Rangers in recent seasons we've always gone out and had a go at them, and achieved better results than most.

The lack of effort and belief tonight was unacceptable and I hope that was a one off.

This.
If we were ever going to win this it had to be at home. Very uninspiring performance
tonight, should have been in their face all over the park.

Malthibby
02-03-2019, 07:01 PM
We competed well but the first goal was always going to be the deciding factor. They are faster & technically better but we I thought we did okay apart from wayward final balls.
Was more disappointed with the number of fans who left after the 2nd goal, with 20 minutes still to go. Supporting your team that isn't.
GG

MinceAndTatties
02-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Can't believe the manager is being slaughtered. We competed well first half but ran out of legs in midfield. Grays distribution was awful. Milligan not mobile enough and Bartley was worse when he came on. The squad is not good enough. Not Heckys fault.. Omeonga our best player.

Brightside
02-03-2019, 07:04 PM
This thread is mental.

Hibeesmad
02-03-2019, 07:04 PM

At least he knew how to beat Celtic, would have came in handy today

familyman
02-03-2019, 07:08 PM
[This new management team need to learn about Scottish football AND BEFORE RANGERS GAME!
You never ever sit in against The Old Firm and certainly not at home a shocking tactical error ..
yet again we give the ball away to casually.

QUOTE=cleanyman;5726948]Is poor

Well done to those who turned up and hopefully we can secure a top six finish this year[/QUOTE]

familyman
02-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Can't believe the manager is being slaughtered. We competed well first half but ran out of legs in midfield. Grays distribution was awful. Milligan not mobile enough and Bartley was worse when he came on. The squad is not good enough. Not Heckys fault.. Omeonga our best player.
Said before we have too many players to old now sadly at this level..the defence needs faster players even though the boys have been good servants time is catching up with some of them ..just normal really but time for a revamp
:flag:

mcfly
02-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Glory hunters can GTF then. Fans support the team through good and bad, not just on the journey after winning the cup.

Sorry but I pay my season ticket money to be entertained,
Not frustrated by players not being able to string 2 passes, playing negative football admiring the opposition.

Did our new manager not watch how we beat Celtic earlier this season??
A huge clear out is needed and our central defenders both need changed.

I just hope that the manager learns from this and has a go against the rangers

Brightside
02-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Sorry but I pay my season ticket money to be entertained,
Not frustrated by players not being able to string 2 passes, playing negative football admiring the opposition.

Did our new manager not watch how we beat Celtic earlier this season??
A huge clear out is needed and our central defenders both need changed.

I just hope that the manager learns from this and has a go against the rangers

If you want to be entertained go to the cinema. Tactics were spot on today.

DaveF
02-03-2019, 07:17 PM

I know you are trying and failing to be funny but tactics spot on and we lost by 2 with hardly any shots on goal.

Aye, spot on right enough.

superbam
02-03-2019, 07:18 PM
This thread ****ing mental. Some of yous need therapy.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2019, 07:22 PM

Tactics spot on, really? I'd say they couldn't have been worse. More performances, tactics and lack of belief like tonight and we'll end up with home attendances of 8-9k next season.

Not In The Know
02-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Some folk need to get a grip.

The team with an average wage of £865,000 each played well.

The team with an average wage of £103,000 each played well.

The team with an average wage of £865,000 won.

Wee Effen Bee
02-03-2019, 07:32 PM
This thread is mental.👍🏽

Hope someone’s hidden the razor blades and the length of rope - this is is suicidal stuff. 😳 we were just not good enough tonight, nowt to do with ‘ not having a go’. There were positives from the game:Silvia was head and shoulders above most on the park, Full backs played well and the forwards just needed the final pass to them to be of better quality- they will do well in the push to consolidate a top 6 finish.

Silky
02-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Tactics spot on, really? I'd say they couldn't have been worse. More performances, tactics and lack of belief like tonight and we'll end up with home attendances of 8-9k next season.

Glory hunters. Wee dip in form and all the hangers on after the cup win disappear until the next Hampden final. We've won our last 3 games, including two potentially dodgy away games, yet here we are in football's abyss scrabbling about like a tramp in a bin. Yeah today wasn't great. But you can only piss with the cock you've got. It was debated at length that Lennon's 352 didn't work. It was also stated that 1 up didn't work. We've now went 442 and that apparently doesn't either. What does?

allmodcons
02-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Correct. Usual suspects moaning like ****. Their budget is huge compared to ours. Shape was good first half but they just have better players than us and it showed second half.

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Until Forrest rattled one in from 25 yards, there was nothing in it. The problem was always going to be how we got back into it if they did score. It was difficult to see what big Marv could do to solve that, but even then I wasn't expecting him to be quite as bad as he was. Never hid, and will be hurting as much as anyone, but no longer good enough I'd suggest.Yeah it was quite sad to see as he's been a rock for us but his time is up...when he fell on his a### trying to cross the ball late on that summed it up for me...his time has come

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2019, 07:42 PM
We set out to contain them.....say what you want about Lennon he went out to beat the Glasgow teams that’s why we had a good record against themWe played the same way against Rangers under Lennon just before Xmas at ER in 0 0 game

BoomtownHibees
02-03-2019, 07:44 PM

In what way were the tactics spot on?

B.H.F.C
02-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Pish. Lost 2-0 and never created a chance.

Tactics were spot on when we beat them 2-0 in December.

B.H.F.C
02-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Correct. Usual suspects moaning like ****. Their budget is huge compared to ours. Shape was good first half but they just have better players than us and it showed second half.

What about their budget the last two games at ER? You know, when we actually attempted to win the games.

vahibbie
02-03-2019, 07:52 PM

Spot on?
Let's contain them, get a draw, then what. Oh aye, gub them at Parkhead.
Had to go for a win today and never really tried.

emerald green
02-03-2019, 08:01 PM
It was the manner of going out of the cup, at home, today which was really disappointing.

One Day Soon
02-03-2019, 08:03 PM

I am certainly not one of the usual suspects. I'm generally one of the happiest of clappers.

Setting up like that in the first half of a cup quarter final at home against anyone is unacceptable. This is not a great Celtic side, better players than ours certainly but not a team that we should have been fearing.

We beat them 2-0 at home with six of the same players just ten weeks ago. Of the five we didn't have playing tonight I'd say two were replaced with weaker players (Hanlon and McGregor) and the others were replaced with stronger players:

Porteous - McGregor
Ambrose - Hanlon
Whittaker - Gray
Hyndman - Omeonga
Shaw - McNulty
Mallan - Milligan

In the previous game we played a pressing game much higher up the park and we set out to attack them to win. Tonight we set up to try to contain them and hope to hit on the counter. Maybe acceptable in a league game scrapping for a point with the hope of three (not acceptable to me but others might be fine with it) but completely out of order in a cup game.

I'm desperate for Heckingbottom to succeed and he's certainly allowed to make mistakes on the way. After today though that's an early question mark for me about his approach and his tactics.

Three wins in the league - two against bottom three sides - followed by this weird misconceived attempt to defend our way through a cup tie. I hope I'm having to eat mounds of humble pie by the end of next season. Let's see.

kaimendhibs
02-03-2019, 08:05 PM
I thought we were doing fine until the first goal. Even up till the 2nd we were still in the game.
Not nearly as bad as some are claiming

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

RoscoHibby
02-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Och away n get to **** aw yous talking about budget this, better team, aw the rest of it. Last 2 games at ER we pressed them high, gave them no time n got smashed right in about them.

Heckingbottoms mantra so far has been about 'doing his homework' well he seems to have negated watching the last 2 games vs these ****s at Easter Rd..get fcking in about them. Gutted to go out the cup without even laying a glove on them.

Niave as **** to keep the same team and ignore the previous circumstances that have levelled out the undoubted gulf in budgets between the teams. Shat it.

mcfly
02-03-2019, 08:23 PM

What a load of rubbish.

Spot on - aye ok

Nothing like the way we played when we beat them
Earlier this season.

stood back and admired them never got in their faces at all

Tactics spot on.....oh dearie me

Nakedmanoncrack
02-03-2019, 08:33 PM
I actually thought we performed reasonably well to a game plan for much of the game, and were still in it whilst its only 1-0, bringing Bartley on at that stage surprised me though and unfortunately the performance he turned in was crucial - it led to the second which put it to bed. Had we ''went out & had a go at them'' I'm sure it would have been all over long before then.

mcfly
02-03-2019, 08:48 PM
I actually thought we performed reasonably well to a game plan for much of the game, and were still in it whilst its only 1-0, bringing Bartley on at that stage surprised me though and unfortunately the performance he turned in was crucial - it led to the second which put it to bed. Had we ''went out & had a go at them'' I'm sure it would have been all over long before then.

Surely it would have been better to have a go,get the crowd right behind them than exit the cup with a whimper and no shots on target.

As I said before the manager should have watched how we beat them earlier this season. He obviously didn’t and see us up to defend.

It was a cup tie. Why Bartley came on was a mystery why not go 3 at the back and put shaw on. We needed a goal and we put on a defensive midfielder - poor decision

Barnton Hibs
02-03-2019, 10:15 PM
What about their budget the last two games at ER? You know, when we actually attempted to win the games.

Have you ever considered they were maybe also not at their best on those days, and we were on fire? Maybe we got lucky breaks on those days which we never got tonight, like their shots whistling wide instead of into the top corner! I cannot believe the nonsense getting spouted here tonight.. yes, we all want to take the game to them, but if people cannot acknowledge that they are by far and away the best team in scotland on their day, then they know nothing about football.

Greenbeard
02-03-2019, 10:30 PM
We played the same way against Rangers under Lennon just before Xmas at ER in 0 0 game

P15h. That pre-Xmas performance you refer to was way worse and we could have been on the end of 5 or 6 had the Hun5 taken their chances. Today was never going to be that.
Can't believe some of the aggressive negativity on here.

ekhibee
03-03-2019, 12:00 AM
I think that is how good we are at the moment. I thought the crossings/balls into the box by Hibs were woeful, particularly in the 2nd half. Celtic's defence is nothing special in comparison to the rest of their team, Brown covers back and props them up, as Ajer and Boyata make mistakes and we should have been far more in their faces than we were, but I didn't think Kambheri was at his best today and McNulty had very little to feed off. I actually thought our defence were alright, better than they have been in some games recently, but since Ambrose left we lack pace at the back.

Just my opinion of course, but we need to bring in quite a few players in the closed season if we can afford it. Some of the longer serving players at the club are not the same players that won us the Scottish Cup, I'm not saying they are surplus to requirements, but they are getting older. If we haven't got the required standard in our development/u21 team then we should be looking elsewhere to, at the very least, challenge those players for places. That does cost money, so we'll see how that goes I suppose.

calumhibee1
03-03-2019, 12:18 AM
Have you ever considered they were maybe also not at their best on those days, and we were on fire? Maybe we got lucky breaks on those days which we never got tonight, like their shots whistling wide instead of into the top corner! I cannot believe the nonsense getting spouted here tonight.. yes, we all want to take the game to them, but if people cannot acknowledge that they are by far and away the best team in scotland on their day, then they know nothing about football.

:agree:

There almost seems to be a suggestion on here that because we've beat them the last two times they've came to ER that we'll just go and beat them again if we just play the same way with no acknowledgement that Celtic were absolutely garbage the last time they rolled up to Leith or that they could possibly have learned from those games. It's not a case of once you beat a team like Celtic once as long as you use the same game plan next time that you'll win. They might well have different players playing (Tierney, Burke and Boyata didn't play last time we played them, probably others aswell) and we had 5 different starters to the last time.

We were well in the game until the first goal went in - which by the way was a screamer, which it had to be because they weren't really creating much. We weren't creating much but neither were Celtic. It took a screamer for them for the game to go their way. With a bit of luck it could have been our screamer and Celtic would have carried on creating very little. It just wasn't to be.

Tornadoes70
03-03-2019, 01:31 AM
I thought we were doing fine until the first goal. Even up till the 2nd we were still in the game.
Not nearly as bad as some are claiming

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I agree. Not nearly as bad as some are claiming. In fact iirc not long before they got their goal Mcnulty could have played in I think it may have been Kamberi who had run into a great position to the right of him just inside the box instead of hitting a tame shot straight at their keeper. I was fuming at the time because it was a very good opportunity spurned.

Lets make the top six and look to finish the season as high as we can. The manager will be looking to adapt the squad in the summer for next season.

Onwards and Upwards.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Steve-O
03-03-2019, 03:19 AM
It was all a bit Mixu-ish, and that was the start of a loooong downward spiral.

But, I don’t think we’re quite at that point yet.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-03-2019, 03:24 AM
Like magnet for “ignore” this thread amongst others. Life’s too short folks.

Borderhibbie76
03-03-2019, 07:03 AM
P15h. That pre-Xmas performance you refer to was way worse and we could have been on the end of 5 or 6 had the Hun5 taken their chances. Today was never going to be that.
Can't believe some of the aggressive negativity on here.Weird how your picking on me...I posted this is defence of both Hecky and the team....yet you've picked on me rather than the people that are spouting p### about yesterday's performance

Northernhibee
03-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Can't believe some of the aggressive negativity on here.

Some of the Lennon FC fan base have been DESPERATE for this.

Robbo6-2
03-03-2019, 07:12 AM
To go out the cup the way we set up yesterday is the most disappointing thing.

Hecky promised us a high press and a team that plays with no fear. Yesterday he set us up exactly the opppsite.

Id much rather get beat 3 or 4 trying to have a go than that performance. Freezing cold with absolutely nothing to cheer about watching Mcnulty and Kamberi playing majority of the game shuffling side to side in our own half. Very poor

JimBHibees
03-03-2019, 07:14 AM

Pretty much spot on. Options for 3 at the back arent there and there would have been outrage if either of the strikers had been sacrificed. We were very good in the first half but ran out of steam and the subs had a negative impact. Disappointing how little we created however Celtic were very good IMO.

K.Marx
03-03-2019, 07:17 AM
We looked very much the underdog last night. Sat deep and hoping for the odd break on the counter. Bottom 6 team approach. Appreciate that Celtic are miles better than us, but they were miles better than us in December too but we still set up to press and got our rewards.

First disappointment in Heck’s reign so far for me, as been very impressed with him on the whole.

mcfly
03-03-2019, 07:42 AM
some of the lennon fc fan base have been desperate for this.

utter rubbish

Northernhibee
03-03-2019, 07:50 AM
utter rubbish

After we come back from behind behind at St Johnstone with ten men the overriding concern from some on here was “oh, I really hope Lenny doesn’t get anything less than the red carpet treatment on Saturday”. Of course it’s true. Three wins out of four. Great record so far.

CockneyRebel
03-03-2019, 07:52 AM

Right you - outside!

mcfly
03-03-2019, 08:01 AM

Hecky promised us a high press and a team that plays with no fear. Yesterday he set us up exactly the opppsite.

Id much rather get beat 3 or 4 trying to have a go than that performance. Freezing cold with absolutely nothing to cheer about watching Mcnulty and Kamberi playing majority of the game shuffling side to side in our own half. Very poor

Exactly. He went against everything he promised a

Why put Bartley in when chasing a goal?

Yes we have had 3 wins all against bottom 6 clubs. The win v st Johnstone was excellent. Yesterday was awful.

Performances like that will not make the 13500 season ticket holders renew
Quickly.

Call fans whatever you like glory hunters blah blah but the club needs them and lame performances like last night are not good enough.

There can be no room for sentiment this summer as a lot of hibs heroes may need to be moved on if we are to improve.

Onion
03-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Disappointed with our approach yesterday. Our application and effort were fine, we were well organised and disciplined. BUT, Hibs have received plaudits over the last 3 years for the way we've attacked Celtic in games - one of the few teams to do so. Yes, we've taken a few beatings, but always given ourselves a chance and bagged a few wins too.

Yesterday we didn't have a hope of winning and important cup game. I hope I never see a Hibs team play like that again in the Scottish Cup.

green day
03-03-2019, 08:08 AM

You didn't think we played a pressing game?

The forwards worked their socks off and Celtics defenders were pushing it side to side with no idea what to do.

Forests goal changed it a bit, but if you are going to criticise the tactics, then at least give the impression that you watched the match.

HFC93
03-03-2019, 08:16 AM
The cult of Lenny are out in force after last night's defeat.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-03-2019, 08:18 AM
The cult of Lenny are out in force after last night's defeat.

Can’t be rrrrsed but wonder if said cult were out in support prior to the parting of ways...

mcfly
03-03-2019, 08:26 AM

The forwards worked their socks off and Celtics defenders were pushing it side to side with no idea what to do.

Forests goal changed it a bit, but if you are going to criticise the tactics, then at least give the impression that you watched the match.

Did u watch the match?

How many shots on goal did we have?

The tactics were negative. Worst performance for ages

Listen to to the pundits coming home. They were surprised as they expected hibs to have s go.

Tactics like that will lower crowds end of

B.H.F.C
03-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Nobody has said they aren’t the best team in Scotland, that’s fairly obvious.

The twice we have we have beaten them at ER we approached the games in a totally different manner. Last night was dreadful.

allmodcons
03-03-2019, 08:28 AM
I am certainly not one of the usual suspects. I'm generally one of the happiest of clappers.

Setting up like that in the first half of a cup quarter final at home against anyone is unacceptable. This is not a great Celtic side, better players than ours certainly but not a team that we should have been fearing.

We beat them 2-0 at home with six of the same players just ten weeks ago. Of the five we didn't have playing tonight I'd say two were replaced with weaker players (Hanlon and McGregor) and the others were replaced with stronger players:

Porteous - McGregor
Ambrose - Hanlon
Whittaker - Gray
Hyndman - Omeonga
Shaw - McNulty
Mallan - Milligan

In the previous game we played a pressing game much higher up the park and we set out to attack them to win. Tonight we set up to try to contain them and hope to hit on the counter. Maybe acceptable in a league game scrapping for a point with the hope of three (not acceptable to me but others might be fine with it) but completely out of order in a cup game.

I'm desperate for Heckingbottom to succeed and he's certainly allowed to make mistakes on the way. After today though that's an early question mark for me about his approach and his tactics.

Three wins in the league - two against bottom three sides - followed by this weird misconceived attempt to defend our way through a cup tie. I hope I'm having to eat mounds of humble pie by the end of next season. Let's see.

Can't agree. I thought first half our shape was good and first 10 minutes of second half we were decent. Undone by a good strike by a top quality SPL player. For anybody who's saying "but but we beat them recently with a high press" I say we have a good record against them at ER but they have better players than us and are always favourites to beat us. Not easy winning against them everytime we play them at home and, yes, budgets are important.

allmodcons
03-03-2019, 08:31 AM

This. Goals change games. Genuinely surprised at some of the comments on here.

green day
03-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Did u watch the match?

Listen to to the pundits coming home. They were surprised as they expected hibs to have s go.

I watched it, and will happily criticise where appropriate.

However to suggest that we did not press Celtic and force them to play it across the back line and back to Bain is simply a lie.

Celtic scored because Forest took advantage of a lapse and scored a screamer. It's not like we were "backs to the wall" until that point.

It's a fact that a lot of our players are slow - if we went totally gung ho, Burke etc would have slaughtered us with pace.

Where we failed most was marking at the goals and failing to make decent crosses when in good positions - Gray and Stevenson.

Like o said to the John Robertson 27 guy above, if you are going to criticise, then at least be objective.

Robbo6-2
03-03-2019, 08:36 AM

Did you watch the match? Every time Celtic got the ball we dropped into two banks of 4 with the two strikers into our own half and let there defenders have the ball with no press.

It was awful negative stuff. You wouldn't mind it when your away from home vs Celtic or Rangers but to play like that at home in a quarter final is not good enough.

Hecky has turned us around but i hope he learns very quickly that is not the way our fans want us to play.

hibsbollah
03-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Did you watch the match? Every time Celtic got the ball we dropped into two banks of 4 with the two strikers into our own half and let there defenders have the ball with no press.

It was awful negative stuff. You wouldn't mind it when your away from home vs Celtic or Rangers but to play like that at home in a quarter final is not good enough.

Hecky has turned us around but i hope he learns very quickly that is not the way our fans want us to play.

You can still have a pressing game with two banks of four, the front two work their socks off and the midfield press hard when the opponent's cross halfway, which is a totally valid tactic and is what we did:confused:

The problem isn't tactics, it's lack of quality players. If we have McGinn McGeough Scott Allan Boyle and Ambrose in that setup it's a different story.

malcolm
03-03-2019, 08:43 AM

Spot on - the really boring aspect of social media is the herd mentality where folk seemingly just follow a lead and repeat it without any real thought.

Hence when the tennamen get in early with the narrative that we meekly rolled over surrendered /never in the game/played non pressing hoof ball /adopted poor tactics (that the previous manager would of course never have been guilty of) etc too many latch onto that as a vehicle for their disappointment.

I doubt Bartley was a tactical change looked like Milligan got a sore one. Goals change games and when you spend millions more in fees and wages then you should have a squad that is better than the opposition. Winning also reinforces a strong mentality and expectations among players and while we have been on a small run of wins the baggage of poor results and performances left by the previous manager will still be lingering in the background. The opposition are used to winning it helps.

You’d almost think some here masochistically are into losing just for the joy of whinge it brings them:greengrin

mcfly
03-03-2019, 08:46 AM
I watched it, and will happily criticise where appropriate.

However to suggest that we did not press Celtic and force them to play it across the back line and back to Bain is simply a lie.

Celtic scored because Forest took advantage of a lapse and scored a screamer. It's not like we were "backs to the wall" until that point.

It's a fact that a lot of our players are slow - if we went totally gung ho, Burke etc would have slaughtered us with pace.

Where we failed most was marking at the goals and failing to make decent crosses when in good positions - Gray and Stevenson.

Like o said to the John Robertson 27 guy above, if you are going to criticise, then at least be objective.

Answer the question how many shots on goal?

it was negative football - im sorry I want to see my team have a go.

We didn’t and we are out.

The manager better learn quickly for this Friday that hibs fans expect their team to attack and at least work the opposition goalie.

calumhibee1
03-03-2019, 08:52 AM

The manager better learn quickly for this Friday that hibs fans expect their team to attack and at least work the opposition goalie.

What does "have a go" even mean? We tried to contain Celtic and sneak a goal. We done that pretty well until Forrest put one in the top corner from 25 yards. That was how we decided to set up and "have a go" at winning the game.

We can't just demand that we create numerous chances against a team with 10x our budget and on a 10 game winning run. There will be games against Celtic when we don't have many shots on goal because they have a squad that is streets ahead of ours. I mean we're waiting on Allan coming in who will be by a mile our best player and he doesn't even bother going along to the Celtic games because he's that far out the picture. That's what we're up against. We can't just magic up chances, sometimes Celtic will be good enough to not really allow us any.

green day
03-03-2019, 08:53 AM

1/ Dunno, check a stats site not me :confused:
2/ OK, but if we lost 6-0 you may well have been on here going radge about "Heckinbothams naivety" and how "Neil Lennon out thought him".
3/ At last we agree on something:greengrin
4/Lets hope so, but I wont be slaughtering him over results against two teams with enormous resources compared to us.

As Hibsbollah and Malcom have stated, sometimes the tactics are right but we dont have as good quality - that imo is what happened last night.

SChibs
03-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Did u watch the match?

We had 2, Celtic had 3.

The Harp Awakes
03-03-2019, 09:04 AM

Agreed. Cup ties are all about having a go, especially at home. Anybody trying to defend the tactics last night is fooling themselves. A high press against Celtic is the only way to beat them. They have good centre backs in Boyata and Ajer but they make mistakes if they are not given time and space. Sadly we just sat off them and allowed them to play.

Sioux
03-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Slaver.

Captain Trips
03-03-2019, 09:13 AM
We lost to a team built with millions managed by somebody who knew all about us. Disappointed to be out the cup but not concerned about it.

We will beat them again but a few things need to align. I am sure Heckingbottom picked up a lot from the match.

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 09:15 AM
I actually thought we competed reasonably well against the best team in the league until they scored.

The double substitution actually made us worse instead of better, as Mallan was a waste of a jersey and Bartley wasn't great. The manager will need time to know what he can get out of his players so I don't blame him for that.

I think some of the reactions on here are overly negative and, TBH, quite pathetic. Some of the people making them are no surprise, though.

truehibernian
03-03-2019, 09:21 AM
I actually thought we competed reasonably well against the best team in the league until they scored.

The double substitution actually made us worse instead if better, as Mallan was a waste of a jersey and Bartley wsn't great. The manager will need time to know what he can get out if his players so I don't blame him for that.

I thin some of the reactions on here are overly negative and, TBH, quite pathetic. Some of the people making them are no surprise, though.

Agreed :agree: factor in we are without out 3 most creative and pacy players to drive the side up the pitch, the tactics themselves were sound. We just don't have the players to play high energy football for 90 minutes, which was evident when you look at the tiredness of Milligan, Slivka and the central defenders at the goals. Bartley getting caught in possession so cheaply was criminal though. Did the same v Saints when he came on and during a quite crazy 10 minutes against Aberdeen second half - if he isn't going to learn from it, don't play him.

mcfly
03-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Slaver.

Hahaha ok then.

I thought we’d got away from performances like that.

Fans like yourself must accept it

I’ll bow to your opinion which must be right

calumhibee1
03-03-2019, 09:24 AM
Hahaha ok then.

We've won 3 in a row and got beat at home by the best team in the country who have swept everyone aside domestically since we returned from the winter break.

Maybe PH saw the goal Hearts conceded on Wednesday and didn't want to see our ageing defence being picked off like that so he decided to play more of a containing game? Which was working fine until they scored a screamer from distance.

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Hahaha ok then.

Going by the posts you make on here, I think it's fair to ignore your opinions.

Sioux
03-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Hahaha ok then.

See ya

J-C
03-03-2019, 09:31 AM
Lose a game and the same old posters on their keyboards typing away with doom and gloom and hatred for the manager/Leeann/club board etc, I sometimes wonder why/if they support this club, we have a new man in charge and an average squad in need of around 5-6 new faces, get this season out the way and lets see what he can do in the summer.

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Lose a game and the same old posters on their keyboards typing away with doom and gloom and hatred for the manager/Leeann/club board etc, I sometimes wonder why/if they support this club, we have a new man in charge and an average squad in need of around 5-6 new faces, get this season out the way and lets see what he can do in the summer.

The same few moaning face gits can't wait for an excuse to knock the club they claim to support.

Pathetic.

Bobby's Cinema
03-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Disappointed. It’s hard not to question the approach when you look at previous results v them with the same squad when we’ve had results.

I think our best chance was mcnulty running at boyAta 2 on 2 at 0-0 and it came to a tame shot.

Shame the subs weren’t made 60seconds earlier, took a good few minutes to make after Bartley was called over and you could see Milligan was finished.

Liked Omeonga and Slivka again. Grays MoTM nomination was bizarre, can’t remember him ever being so wasteful going forward

GreenCastle
03-03-2019, 10:15 AM
I don’t get “it’s the cup so you have a go” chat.

Celtic set up with pace - Lennon knew this would trouble us.

We don’t have a very fast back 4 but decent experience who coped pretty well till the goal was scored.

Our midfield played some nice stuff at times but we stuffed to create a really good move.

In the recent win in December we had 6 shots on goal. Celtic had a stronger / more confident team out yesterday and limited us opportunities.

If we pressed too high yesterday we would have been destroyed with speed - which nearly happened in first few minutes of game.

Bain also kicks better than Craig Gordon.

We keep comparing this team to previous seasons but we don’t have a McGinn type player or Boyle who run and run - hence why we are having to find another way to play the Old Firm.

We beat Celtic in December - I will be more concerned about how we are going to set up against Hearts at Tynecastle where we have been awful for years.

One Day Soon
03-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Some of the Lennon FC fan base have been DESPERATE for this.

You're getting a wee bit obsessive about Lennon. He's long gone, you should move on.

One Day Soon
03-03-2019, 10:39 AM

There's a world of difference between a high press and playing two lines of four in the last third, which is what we did in the first half.

calumhibee1
03-03-2019, 10:43 AM
There's a world of difference between a high press and playing two lines of four in the last third, which is what we did in the first half.

Thing is, they now have Burke in their attack along with Sinclair and Forrest while we have a back 4 and holding midfielder who are all 30+ and not blessed with pace in the slightest. We seen what they done to Hearts mid week when they broke at pace, maybe PH didn’t want that happening to us? Maybe he thought that they 3 are good when they can get in behind but not at playing through teams so he decided to try and make them do that rather than press up the park and get caught in behind? Until a strike from distance from Forrest they were creating very little.

Real Emerald
03-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Yes, we basically camped in our own half and the strikers ran about daft chasing their passes across the back. We didn't get near them or force them into mistakes which is the whole reason you play a pressing game. They were just much better, fitter, quicker and more accurate than we were. They looked like a team from a different league last night.

One Day Soon
03-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Can't agree. I thought first half our shape was good and first 10 minutes of second half we were decent. Undone by a good strike by a top quality SPL player. For anybody who's saying "but but we beat them recently with a high press" I say we have a good record against them at ER but they have better players than us and are always favourites to beat us. Not easy winning against them everytime we play them at home and, yes, budgets are important.

Our shape was good in the first half only because we set out to defend the final third of the pitch and did that well - but at a cost of little to no forward threat due mainly to the lack of possession and the terrible service to the forwards when we did have possession. Having a good shape in that context is absolutely fine until you concede a goal, if you are playing for a point or hoping to steal three. In a cup game it is an absolute nonsense.

The fact that they have better players is exactly the point here. The whole purpose of a high press (which BTW means pressing them in their half or anywhere else where they have possession, not just in your own half) is to deny your opponents the time and space to play their own game. i.e. it is to neutralise their advantage of having better players. We didn't do that. We defended our last third with two lines of four and turned it into a contest between 'is your attacking flair, speed and guile better than the organisation of our defence?'. The answer to that was yes, their attack is better than our defence - which is what the answer will be 9 times out of 10 when you play them that way.

I think Heckingbottom tried to defend and counter his way to a win and I think that was naive, probably largely because he's still getting used to the Scottish game and doesn't yet know enough about his various opponents. If that was a learning error then fine, if it is indicative of the style he wants to play then very, very not fine.

I give him the same treatment as I argued for with Lennon though. We had a stunning midfield and its gone. That took several years and many windows to assemble. Heckingbottom needs to be given at least two windows and probably four to shape a team that can deliver whatever it is he's trying to do.

One Day Soon
03-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Agreed. Cup ties are all about having a go, especially at home. Anybody trying to defend the tactics last night is fooling themselves. A high press against Celtic is the only way to beat them. They have good centre backs in Boyata and Ajer but they make mistakes if they are not given time and space. Sadly we just sat off them and allowed them to play.

I'm a very big Scott Brown fan for sentimental, admiration and other reasons. I can see he's still an excellent player but that his star is on the wane. He is by no means the payer he once was. Yesterday we made him look like the player he was in his prime, giving him all the time in the world to pick passes. Crazy.

Real Emerald
03-03-2019, 11:01 AM
I'm a very big Scott Brown fan for sentimental, admiration and other reasons. I can see he's still an excellent player but that his star is on the wane. He is by no means the payer he once was. Yesterday we made him look like the player he was in his prime, giving him all the time in the world to pick passes. Crazy.

He strolled it, my son said he looked like he was out for a walk with his dog! We didn't at any time put him under pressure.

One Day Soon
03-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Thing is, they now have Burke in their attack along with Sinclair and Forrest while we have a back 4 and holding midfielder who are all 30+ and not blessed with pace in the slightest. We seen what they done to Hearts mid week when they broke at pace, maybe PH didn’t want that happening to us? Maybe he thought that they 3 are good when they can get in behind but not at playing through teams so he decided to try and make them do that rather than press up the park and get caught in behind? Until a strike from distance from Forrest they were creating very little.

The logic of that approach makes sense perhaps in a league game where you hope for a point or even a stolen three points. Not in a cup game where the conclusion will be a much harder replay away.

And there are at least three weaknesses with it anyway. 1. You're highly unlikely to get the volume and quality of possession needed to have a chance of giving your forwards the quality of service they need to score. 2. If it is going to take something a bit special for the opposition to find a goal then Celtic are the worst team to do that against because they have exactly the players likely to do so from individual efforts. 3. The best way to neutralise a passing team like Celtic while giving yourself a chance of getting something is to press them high and deny them the service to their forwards - which gives a fair chance of spilled ball coming to you in their half.

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2019, 11:11 AM
The logic of that approach makes sense perhaps in a league game where you hope for a point or even a stolen three points. Not in a cup game where the conclusion will be a much harder replay away.

And there are at least three weaknesses with it anyway. 1. You're highly unlikely to get the volume and quality of possession needed to have a chance of giving your forwards the quality of service they need to score. 2. If it is going to take something a bit special for the opposition to find a goal then Celtic are the worst team to do that against because they have exactly the players likely to do so from individual efforts. 3. The best way to neutralise a passing team like Celtic while giving yourself a chance of getting something is to press them high and deny them the service to their forwards - which gives a fair chance of spilled ball coming to you in their half.

And you have forgotten the one FACT thats apparently now true, Celtic have to play badly before we can get a sniff.

One Day Soon
03-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Yes, we basically camped in our own half and the strikers ran about daft chasing their passes across the back. We didn't get near them or force them into mistakes which is the whole reason you play a pressing game. They were just much better, fitter, quicker and more accurate than we were. They looked like a team from a different league last night.

They did and this is a point I would make in Heckingbottom's defence. I do think we were a pretty tired team yesterday after the midweek game. The amount of unforced errors we made giving the ball away, misplacing passes, failing to put in decent crosses did look to me like a team that was tired mentally and physically.

Add to that some real weaknesses beginning to show now in a number of players - and others just not good enough - and you're starting off on the back foot. We have a bigger rebuilding exercise to do than I'd previously thought.

Spike Mandela
03-03-2019, 11:50 AM
We’ve been beaten off Celtic in the last few years but this is the first time in a long time that we’ve failed to lay a glove on them at all. Domestically we have probably given them some of their toughest games.

Disappointed with yesterday but looking for a big reaction on Friday. Hopefully Heck isn’t a manager who gives celtic and Rangers too much respect.

calumhibee1
03-03-2019, 11:53 AM
And you have forgotten the one FACT thats apparently now true, Celtic have to play badly before we can get a sniff.

So you reckon if Celtic play well that we could still beat them? When was the last time you saw Celtic get beat domestically but still play well?

If a team with numerous players who are probably worth not a kick in the arse off £10m play well then nobody in Scotland stands a chance. Teams in Scotland can’t compete with numerous £10m players playing well. Much in the same way that Celtic can’t compete in Europe with numerous £25m players playing even average.

Barnton Hibs
03-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Another thing to note is that celtic passed the ball out from the keeper when Rogers was in charge, allowing us to press them up by their box to force mistakes.. Lennon spotted this weakness in December, and ensured celtic never used the same tactic yesterday. He pushed players further up the park so we had to drop further back.

We also employed a system where as soon as celtic came near the semi circle of the half way li e, our strikers went to meet them. If the ball came out right, Steph came out to press. Unfortunately, we ran out if legs and they punished us.

Famous Fiver
03-03-2019, 12:06 PM
I agree with the bit about taking so long to get Bartley on. Given he made a howler later there's no certainty he would have stopped Forrest getting his shot way but Milligan was injured and couldn't get near him.

Bringing Bartley on at Nil Nil is fair enough but waste of a jersey when he comes on with the game running away from us and behind.. He's not going to put pressure on the other team's back four evidenced by his attempted control and sclaff down near the bye line late on.

Heckingbottom has got to learn quick about players strengths and weaknesses and adapt accordingly. We don't want square pegs in round holes.

Borderhibbie76
03-03-2019, 01:05 PM
All the posters comparing this to the last match v Celtic at ER would do well to remember that Celtic were poor that day as much as we were great whereas last night they were bang at it.

Whether we like it or not they need to have an off day on order for anyone in Scotland to beat them...last night they were very good imo.

Also from the team that beat them in Dec last night we were missing Porteous, Boyle and Ambrose for differing reasons. All 3 were massive in that particular win.

Speedway
03-03-2019, 01:10 PM
If we score fewer goals than our opposition in our remaining games, we’re going to lose every one!!!!!

Allant1981
03-03-2019, 01:20 PM
If we score fewer goals than our opposition in our remaining games, we’re going to lose every one!!!!!

So we arent keeping any clean sheets between now and the end of the season

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 01:21 PM
We’ve been beaten off Celtic in the last few years but this is the first time in a long time that we’ve failed to lay a glove on them at all. Domestically we have probably given them some of their toughest games.

Disappointed with yesterday but looking for a big reaction on Friday. Hopefully Heck isn’t a manager who gives celtic and Rangers too much respect.

They beat us 4-2 and 2-0 at Parkhead, so this is the third time this season they've beaten us by a two goal margin.

I've been at all three and in each match we were equally outplayed.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Lets be honest, if we had won yesterday it would have been classed as a cup upset. There was no cup upset. Routine for Celtic.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2019, 01:35 PM
They beat us 4-2 and 2-0 at Parkhead, so this is the third time this season they've beaten us by a two goal margin.

I've been at all three and in each match we were equally outplayed.

The last two games against them have been as easy as they could have asked for. They’ve not had to get out of first gear.

The 4-2 game was different. They played really well that day. And we did in the second half of that game once Lennon had ditched the silly tactics he started with. We were a threat in that game though and just got beaten by a team with better players who played well on the day. In the last two we’ve just failed to show anything at all.

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2019, 01:36 PM
That game was a throwback to the bad old days when we had lost the game before we even stepped onto the pitch. If you invite pressure like we did its inevitable that a team of Celtic's quality will eventually find a way through and then the poor sods in defence end up taking the blame for the one or two errors which lead to the goals, who cares about the pressure they were under for the whole game and managed to deal with.

Historically that weak passive approach to games against both arse cheeks has provided little if any reward … in recent times our results have been far more positive when we have had a go …. If yesterday proved anything its that returning to time honoured tactics of worrying about what might happen if we open up is for the bloody birds.

Better to go down fighting than in the passive bend over and take it up the arse approach we showed yesterday.

Lago
03-03-2019, 01:44 PM
So you reckon if Celtic play well that we could still beat them? When was the last time you saw Celtic get beat domestically but still play well?

If a team with numerous players who are probably worth not a kick in the arse off £10m play well then nobody in Scotland stands a chance. Teams in Scotland can’t compete with numerous £10m players playing well. Much in the same way that Celtic can’t compete in Europe with numerous £25m players playing even average.
And there in your post is the truth of Scottish football, it is effectively a 2 team league whether we like it or not. The only club who can compete with Celtic financially is rangers, the rest can only offer the occassional cup upset. The last time Hibs could compete were in the days of Eddie Turnbull & the Tornadoes & even then it was a stretch.
Neil Lennon summer it up for me when he said why have a £9 million striker sitting on the bench, what a problem to have.

Weegreenman
03-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Is poor

I think Celtic were set up for us to have a go at them yesterday. Had we employed those tactics, I think we’d be on the end of a good hiding. Our tactics were spot on for me but sadly our creativity was very poor on the counter. We don’t have enough quality to hurt Celtic in their current form. We need the likes of Kamberi to be on his game and even though Slivka and Omeonga played really well, they still didn’t create anything of note.

One Day Soon
03-03-2019, 01:56 PM
That game was a throwback to the bad old days when we had lost the game before we even stepped onto the pitch. If you invite pressure like we did its inevitable that a team of Celtic's quality will eventually find a way through and then the poor sods in defence end up taking the blame for the one or two errors which lead to the goals, who cares about the pressure they were under for the whole game and managed to deal with.

Historically that weak passive approach to games against both arse cheeks has provided little if any reward … in recent times our results have been far more positive when we have had a go …. If yesterday proved anything its that returning to time honoured tactics of worrying about what might happen if we open up is for the bloody birds.

Better to go down fighting than in the passive bend over and take it up the arse approach we showed yesterday.

:top marks This. This. This

Onion
03-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Lets be honest, if we had won yesterday it would have been classed as a cup upset. There was no cup upset. Routine for Celtic.

That's the most disappointing thing from yesterday, we were competing for a trip to Hampden, cup semifinal, and went out with a whimper. Never gave ourselves a chance, didn't get in about them, created nothing. Yes, Celtic are a decent side but we sat off them and got what we deserved.

No problem with Hibs getting beat, but not that way.

One Day Soon
03-03-2019, 02:02 PM
That's the most disappointing thing from yesterday, we were competing for a trip to Hampden, cup semifinal, and went out with a whimper. Never gave ourselves a chance, didn't get in about them, created nothing. Yes, Celtic are a decent side but we sat off them and got what we deserved.

Yesterday was realistically likely the last thing to get excited about this season. Yet we looked like we'd be happy to defend our way to a replay.

Maybe top 4 is a possibility though, would that get us into Europe?

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Yesterday was realistically likely the last thing to get excited about this season. Yet we looked like we'd be happy to defend our way to a replay.

Maybe top 4 is a possibility though, would that get us into Europe?

If Celtic win the cup then yes.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Disappointing that we were utterly gash yesterday.

tamig
03-03-2019, 02:20 PM
I think Celtic were set up for us to have a go at them yesterday. Had we employed those tactics, I think we’d be on the end of a good hiding. Our tactics were spot on for me but sadly our creativity was very poor on the counter. We don’t have enough quality to hurt Celtic in their current form. We need the likes of Kamberi to be on his game and even though Slivka and Omeonga played really well, they still didn’t create anything of note.
We had a few promising moments yesterday but the deliveries from the wide areas were very poor. David Gray in particular got into some great positions but barely put in one decent cross.

calumhibee1
03-03-2019, 02:22 PM
We had a few promising moments yesterday but the deliveries from the wide areas were very poor. David Gray in particular got into some great positions but barely put in one decent cross.

With a bit more quality from Gray and Stevenson peoples opinions may well have been a bit different on the performance may have been different. I actually thought we were pretty decent until the final third when the attacks seemed to fall apart.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 02:24 PM

With a bit more quality from Gray and Stevenson peoples opinions may well have been a bit different on the performance may have been different. I actually thought we were pretty decent until the final third when the attacks seemed to fall apart.

Their crosses are consistently poor. Not good enough when we have strikers waiting.

HiBremian
03-03-2019, 02:35 PM
Said it at half time yesterday on the match thread. Most of our promising moves seemed to end with a duff cross from SDG or Lewis, when we had players in the middle like Horgan, Slivka, Flo, Sparky, who can play to feet pretty well. Wee need to work the ball through them on the edge of the box more. Just look at the Celtc goals yesterday.

ShottsBranch
03-03-2019, 02:44 PM
Everything about yesterday was a sign we weren't going to win; empty seats, rain, Mark Milligan...

wookie70
03-03-2019, 02:48 PM
If Celtic win the cup then yes. Or any of the other top three clubs which is fairly likely

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Everything about yesterday was a sign we weren't going to win; empty seats, rain, Mark Milligan...

So empty seats, rain and Milligan were the reason Hibs didn't win last night? Nothing to do with a pish performance?

Shotts branch of what? RFC Loyal supporters club?

hhibs
03-03-2019, 03:04 PM

Better to go down fighting than in the passive bend over and take it up the arse approach we showed

yesterday.

Seconded!

hhibs
03-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Said it at half time yesterday on the match thread. Most of our promising moves seemed to end with a duff cross from SDG or Lewis, when we had players in the middle like Horgan, Slivka, Flo, Sparky, who can play to feet pretty well. Wee need to work the ball through them on the edge of the box more. Just look at the Celtc goals yesterday.

Time surely, for Mackie to be played ?

andybev1
03-03-2019, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=DexterStJock;5727018]Today was a real test of how Heckingbottom will pan out as hibs manager. Is he the attacking, high pressing kind that he says he is?

I think the answer is no.

Too much focus on Celtic and not enough on how we can attack them.[/QUOTE

This (after a bit of deleting some parts).

£25 quid is a lot for fans that had already payed over the odds for the Elgin game and . It makes it look like leanne and petrie have little respect for us fans.

Here’s Lucy!
03-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Heck was scared of Celtic.

God knows why, as they are nothing special.

Not having a go at Heck in particular, most teams in Scotland gives them far too much respect.

Get intae thum!!

HiBremian
03-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Time surely, for Mackie to be played ?

Yep, that’s my take too. Brings much more to the table.

Hibees1973
03-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Never laid a glove on them all night. We have done well in the past against them at ER and Hearts proved only last week that you can compete against them.

We didn’t last night. I expected a lot more, but was it tactics.

Seemed to me a lack of belief and the usual word....ambition.

Hibees1973
03-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Perfetcly put.

green day
03-03-2019, 06:45 PM
;

This (after a bit of deleting some parts).

£25 quid is a lot for fans that had already payed over the odds for the Elgin game and . It makes it look like leanne and petrie have little respect for us fans.

What exactly has the ticket price got to do with the managers tactics?

And how do you manage to conflate that with supposed lack of respect for the fans from Dempster and Rodders?

This place gets more mental by the day...............

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 07:12 PM
What exactly has the ticket price got to do with the managers tactics?

And how do you manage to conflate that with supposed lack of respect for the fans from Dempster and Rodders?

This place gets more mental by the day...............

And did you know that Heck is scared of Celtc as well? Mental's the right word.

heretoday
03-03-2019, 11:30 PM
The match was a miserable occasion.