PDA

View Full Version : One idiot!!!

dalkeith stu
02-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately 1 idiot has let us all down!! Glass bottle looks to have been thrown at Sinclair. Now we will rightly be dragged into the misbehaving fans argument!!

-Jonesy-
02-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately 1 idiot has let us all down!! Glass bottle looks to have been thrown at Sinclair. Now we will rightly be dragged into the misbehaving fans argument!!

Fan

heretoday
02-03-2019, 06:35 PM
It was a Celtic fan!

Ryan91
02-03-2019, 06:39 PM
It was a Celtic fan!

:agree:

MichelleHibs
02-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Bottle of Buckfast.....

Tricla
02-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Coin just been chucked from same area. ****s deserve a severe slap and a life ban. ****.

These ****s are not Hibs fans. ****.

GreenCastle
02-03-2019, 06:49 PM
Sectarian singing..by lots of people every week over in the West.

Regarding the bottle - culprit will be found on CCTV

lyonhibs
02-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Coin just been chucked from same area. ****s deserve a severe slap and a life ban. ****.

The thing is, they are both ****s AND Hibs fans. This "they aren't real <insert club here > fans" is the most universally used (and derided) defence line when these things happen.

Tricla
02-03-2019, 06:55 PM
The thing is, they are both ****s AND Hibs fans. This "they aren't real <insert club here > fans" is the most universally used (and derided) defence line when these things happen.

I didn't say they weren't 'real' Hibs fans and I'm not defending them. They're not fans at all. You lose your right to be a football fan when you launch something at a player. ****.

stoneyburn hibs
02-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Sectarian singing in the west ? Nah

RG04
02-03-2019, 06:57 PM
Genuinely don't care about their silly songs or other teams fans behaviour!!!

Today seeing a bottle thrown and coins from the Hibs support is utterly embarrassing!!!

Hope the person is jailed and given a life ban. All jokes about a coin could take an eye out etc, but a bottle is on another level.

Shocking!!! Not Hibs, not one of us and 10000% not welcome !!!

DH1875
02-03-2019, 06:59 PM

What they singing :confused:

heretoday
02-03-2019, 07:01 PM

Boys of the Old Brigade.

OsloHibs
02-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Bottle of Buckfast.....

Should be easy to find this Edinburgh drinker!

GreenCastle
02-03-2019, 07:10 PM

It doesn’t matter - Old Firm / Hearts can sing what they want and the authorities don’t care.

Scottish football needs to take action on fan behaviour but not holding my breath.

Bottle incident won’t be last - just like the Tynie derby when a bottle was launched into the hibs fans.

hibbydog
02-03-2019, 07:14 PM
Disgraceful

Fed up with the idiot minority who bring the good name of our club down.

Papers will have a field day with this, and we’ll all be labelled as ****bags.

GreenCastle
02-03-2019, 07:18 PM
Disgraceful

Fed up with the idiot minority who bring the good name of our club down.

Papers will have a field day with this, and we’ll all be labelled as ****bags.

No they won’t.

Football brings idiots out in force - hence why alcohol will never be sold at stadiums.

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Boys of the Old Brigade.

Which isn't a sectarian song, of course. Huge difference between their songbook at Tynie and the one they use at ER.

We'll get a good old anti-Catholic 90 mins next Friday. Unless we can shut them up by playing them off the park!

CathroMustStay
02-03-2019, 07:22 PM
West coast problem? All effing coasts.

Cretin.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Which isn't a sectarian song, of course. Huge difference between their songbook at Tynie and the one they use at ER.

We'll get a good old anti-Catholic 90 mins next Friday. Unless we can shut them up by playing them off the park!

It couldn't be more sectarian.

The Pointer
02-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Plenty people must have known he had a bottle if he's been slugging it, but who takes a bottle to a game? Surely someone has called him out.

hibbydog
02-03-2019, 07:27 PM
No they won’t.

Football brings idiots out in force - hence why alcohol will never be sold at stadiums.

The Glasgow based media will be loving the opportunity to stick the boot into hibs fans, if only to demonstrate that it’s not just Celtic and Rangers fans that do this type of thing.

Sadly the idiot who threw the bottle has given them an open goal and deserves to be bannned for life.

CraigHibee
02-03-2019, 07:30 PM
******** whoever done that, this is the problem with weekend evening kick offs, folk get tanked up, can't handle their drink and act like bellends. Not a whiff of the singing will be mentioned by the media

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 07:35 PM

In what respect? It's an Irish rebel song. Shouldn't be sung at the fitba, but not sectarian.

HibeeHibernian4
02-03-2019, 07:39 PM

In the sense that there isn’t a single element of the song that’s sectarian, yes, it probably could be more sectarian.

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2019, 07:42 PM

Two idiots: bottle and coin. For me it hurts just as much as the defeat. That isn't what Hibs is about.

Sir David Gray
02-03-2019, 07:43 PM
Hopefully whoever it was is caught, banned for life and prosecuted.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 07:44 PM
In what respect? It's an Irish rebel song. Shouldn't be sung at the fitba, but not sectarian.

In the sense that there isn’t a single element of the song that’s sectarian, yes, it probably could be more sectarian.

Sectarian
/sɛkˈtɛːrɪən/

adjective
denoting or concerning a sect or sects.
"the city's traditional sectarian divide"
noun
a member of a sect.
"a Jewish sectarian who preached the redemption of the Gentiles"

The Boys of the Old Brigade

Oh father why are you so sad on this bright Easter morn
When Irish men are proud and glad of the land where they were born
Oh son I see in memory to a far of distant day
when being just a lad like you I joined the IRA.
(chorus)
Where are the lads who stood with me when history was made
Oh gra mo croidhe, I long to see the boys of the old brigade.
From hills and farms the call to arms was heard by one and all
And from the glen came brave young men to answer Ireland's call
‘Twas long ago we faced the foe the old brigade and me
And by my side they fought and died that Ireland mightb e free.
(chorus)
And now my boy I've told you why on Easter morn I sigh
For I recall my comrades all of dark old days has gone by
I think of men who fought in glen with rifle and grenade
May heaven keep the men who sleep from the ranks of the old brigade

BullsCloseHibs
02-03-2019, 07:50 PM
The Spar shop Montrose Terrace always does a roaring trade with OF fans at Easter Road buying copious amounts of the ultimate chav drink that is Buckfast.

The are, after all, the ultimate tramps. Both sets.

vahibbie
02-03-2019, 07:51 PM

It's certainly glorifying the IRA. But if that's acceptable to you that's your prerogative.
I don't mind the song but not at football and not at ER.

hibsbollah
02-03-2019, 07:54 PM
******** whoever done that, this is the problem with weekend evening kick offs, folk get tanked up, can't handle their drink and act like bellends. Not a whiff of the singing will be mentioned by the media

Crazy. And why aim it at Sinclair anyway? SDG had him in his pocket all evening. I thought he and Slivka (until he decides to stop at the first goal) were very good.

judas
02-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Boys of the Old Brigade.

Single fish mate.

Please leave.

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Sectarian
/sɛkˈtɛːrɪən/

adjective
noun
a member of a sect.

(chorus)
(chorus)

Thanks for printing the words, which i already knew. It's a song that has been sung by thousands of Hibbies - including me - but just not at Hibs games as it has nothing to do with football, or Hibs, and wouldn't inspire the team. I have never sung it as a Hibby, but as a descendant of people forced to leave their country due to the tattie famine (for which Britain was culpable).

It is a song about the struggle for Irish freedom. It isn't in any way anti-Protestant, bigoted, or sectarian.

Lago
02-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Of course what the idiot(s) have done is give the footballing authorities the golden opportunity to act. No worries about upsetting either of the OF so they can make an example of Hibs & claim the moral high ground.
All because some pr..k who thinks he is a big man.

Hibernia&Alba
It's certainly glorifying the IRA. But if that's acceptable to you that's your prerogative.
It's possible to be both non-sectarian but totally unacceptable, which is where I would place rebel songs about the Anglo-Irish war of 1918-21. Whatever one's view, it has no place at a Scottish football match in 2019. I doubt the vast majority of those involved have read a page of Irish history, and the fact it persists in Scotland today is pathetic.

staunchhibby
Another idiot spoils it for us.We don't want your type any where near easter road.Can see us ending with netting to stop objects being thrown like there was in front of us at Bronby

LancashireHibby
02-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Thanks for printing the words, which i already knew. It's a song that has been sung by thousands of Hibbies - including me - but just not at Hibs games as it has nothing to do with football, or Hibs, and wouldn't inspire the team. I have never sung it as a Hibby, but as a descendant of people forced to leave their country due to the tattie famine (for which Britain was culpable).

It is a song about the struggle for Irish freedom. It isn't in any way anti-Protestant, bigoted, or sectarian.
I’d be very surprised - and disappointed - if there was a grain of truth in your suggestion that “thousands” of Hibs fans have sung a song promoting a terrorist organisation. Maybe I’ve lead a sheltered life but I really can’t see a situation where it’s likely to happen. Nor indeed acceptable at any point. There’s a stark difference about the “struggle for Irish freedom” and an organisation that had made - and arguably continues to do so - a concerted effort to maliciously target civilians in this country for a significant number of years.

However, this level of whataboutery is merely deflecting attention from the bottle-throwing and coin-throwing oxygen thieves responsible for tonight’s action who should not only be spending a significant period away from ER but should also be looking at some serious attention from the courts.

Since90+2
02-03-2019, 08:06 PM
What an idiot.

If/when he gets caught he's looking at a life ban aswell as a criminal record and depending on the charge a possible jail sentence.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-03-2019, 08:07 PM
There was nearly a fight in the ff lower. Not sure if buckfast caused it though.

Brightside
02-03-2019, 08:09 PM

Sectarian singing??? Please explain. Hibs fans singing sectarian songs? Every week? Name the song please. Never heard anything sectarian in the West Stand in my life

Carheenlea
02-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Plenty people must have known he had a bottle if he's been slugging it, but who takes a bottle to a game? Surely someone has called him out.

I’ve seen a lot of the younger guys bringing bottles in at away games, so probably a lot more than you think. They are usually left under their seats after decanting into coke cups rather than thrown onto pitch to be fair to them.

GreenCastle
02-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Sectarian singing??? Please explain. Hibs fans singing sectarian songs? Every week? Name the song please. Never heard anything sectarian in the West Stand in my life

No not Hibs fans.

My point is every week we get nonsense from other clubs and nothing is done.

Aim Here
02-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Read 'the west' as 'West of Scotland' rather than 'West Stand of Easter Road Football Stadium'

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Sectarian
/sɛkˈtɛːrɪən/

adjective
noun
a member of a sect.

(chorus)
(chorus)

If that's sectarian then is Flower of Scotland sectarian? Don't think either are. No place at a Football match of course.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 08:14 PM

It's not anti protestant or bigoted, but, in this country, at a football match, it is sectarian.

The same arguments are made on behalf of the Sash, but that's sectarian to me too.

Regardless of the lyrics, they're sung at football matches for sectarian reasons and let's face it, if we need to use semantics to defend them, there's clearly something amiss.

LancashireHibby
02-03-2019, 08:14 PM
If that's sectarian then is Flower of Scotland sectarian? Don't think so. No place at a Football match of course.
Must have missed the Flower of Scotland verse that refers to a (still active) terrorist organisation.

Hiber-nation
02-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Why are folk banging on about sectarian singing? We're talking about a bottle thrown at a player. Start another thread if you want to debate what's sectarian and what's not.

Since90+2
02-03-2019, 08:19 PM
If that's sectarian then is Flower of Scotland sectarian? Don't think either are. No place at a Football match of course.

Have a word. Comparing Flower of Scotland , our counties national anthem, to songs about the IRA. What absolute nonsense.

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 08:19 PM

I totally agree - it's not acceptable at football and not ER, as it is a political song and nowt to do with Hibs or the game. It has nothing to do with Celtic either, even if their fans are unable to recognise that fact. Thankfully, our support has moved on in that respect, and did so several decades ago.

DH1875
02-03-2019, 08:24 PM
The Spar shop Montrose Terrace always does a roaring trade with OF fans at Easter Road buying copious amounts of the ultimate chav drink that is Buckfast.

The are, after all, the ultimate tramps. Both sets.

Don't kid yourself on. Plenty of our fans drink Buckfast, including me.

Guy who launched the bottle deserves any ban coming his way. Lucky it missed or he could be looking at some jail time.

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 08:25 PM
It's not anti protestant or bigoted, but, in this country, at a football match, it is sectarian.

The same arguments are made on behalf of the Sash, but that's sectarian to me too.

Regardless of the lyrics, they're sung at football matches for sectarian reasons and let's face it, if we need to use semantics to defend them, there's clearly something amiss.

Hibbyradge, I'm not defending the fact the Boys of the Old Brigade is sung at the fitba. I'm condemning it, as I don't agree with it - nothing to do with the game.

SiinDubai
02-03-2019, 08:28 PM
Why are folk banging on about sectarian singing? We're talking about a bottle thrown at a player. Start another thread if you want to debate what's sectarian and what's not.

Completely agree, it doesn’t matter what another teams fans are singing, it’s unacceptable for anyone to throw a bottle at a football player.

Real Emerald
02-03-2019, 08:30 PM
At what bit of the stadium did this happen. We saw what looked like a mobile phone thrown on at the Celtic end that Collum handed over to stewards when they had a corner?

where'stheslope
02-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Not many players will get hurt with fans singing, but hit with a glass bottle or a coin is altogether a different thing!!
Some fans need to grow up and learn, we can't win every time we play, so calm down and just watch the game!!!!

Hibs90
02-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Hibs statement

A statement from Hibernian said that two bottles were thrown during the match, with one from their own fans and another from the away support.

"We will review the CCTV footage and work with the appropriate authorities to identify those involved in throwing items onto the pitch," said a Hibs statement.

"We understand two bottles were thrown, one from each set of supporters. This is entirely unacceptable and puts players and others at risk.

"The match was a good game, played in a great spirit, but unfortunately yet again the headlines will be around this kind of unacceptable conduct."

Nakedmanoncrack
02-03-2019, 09:02 PM

As decided by who?
You, Ok then, that's it settled.

barcahibs
02-03-2019, 09:04 PM

I wish both sides would stop hiding behind semantics and whataboutery. Boys of the Old Brigade when sung at a music festival in Ireland is fine, but when sung by celtc fans in a football stadium it is a sectarian song. Just like Rule Britannia is a sectarian song when sung by sevco fans in a football stadium but is fine at Last Night of the Proms.

I personally wouldn't ban either because grown ups getting upset about songs is daft, but it is what it is, and fans (even ours - perhaps even especially ours) who pretend otherwise are part of the problem.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 09:04 PM
As decided by who?
You, Ok then, that's it settled.

Sorry. It's an innocent folk song. :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 09:05 PM
I wish both sides would stop hiding behind semantics and whataboutery. Boys of the Old Brigade when sung at a music festival in Ireland is fine, but when sung by celtc fans in a football stadium it is a sectarian song. Just like Rule Britannia is a sectarian song when sung by sevco fans in a football stadium but is fine at Last Night of the Proms.

I personally wouldn't ban either because grown ups getting upset about songs is daft, but it is what it is, and fans (even ours - perhaps even especially ours) who pretend otherwise are part of the problem.

Exactly.

cabbageandribs1875
02-03-2019, 09:10 PM

PiemanP
02-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Guy was in front of me, approx seat 200 in the East couple rows down from Z. Absolute idiot...few yards short and it would have hit a Hibs fan in the front row. Young team all wearing stone island, shouldn’t be hard to find and ban.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Neither are sectarian, both are political - one Irish republican, the other British nationalist, neither make any reference to religion, and sorry a society where somebody gets to decide the meaning of certain songs, when sung, etc is not for me. I've never sung either of these ditties at a football match but I've no reason to believe (or qualification to decide otherwise) that their meaning is any different at a football match, or the occasions mentioned.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 09:20 PM
Neither are sectarian, both are political - one Irish republican, the other British nationalist, neither make any reference to religion, and sorry a society where somebody gets to decide the meaning of certain songs, when sung, etc is not for me. I've never sung either of these ditties at a football match but I've no reason to believe (or qualification to decide otherwise) that their meaning is any different at a football match, or the occasions mentioned.

It doesn't have to be religious to be sectarian.

Here's another definition;

sectarian
adjective UK
/sekˈteə.ri.ən/ US
/sekˈter.i.ən/ disapproving

caused by or feeling very strong support for the religious or political group that you are a member of, in a way that can cause problems with other groups

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/sectarian

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 09:27 PM

The Huns don't just sing Rule Britannia though, do they? Their songbook is overtly, unashamedly anti-Catholic. It's not whataboutery to say that there is a clear difference between them and Celtic when it comes to the nature of the lyrics you hear from the respective supports.

That's my opinion and I understand it isn't shared by every Hibby. I have no love for Celtic, but even if you hate them as much as the Huns you'd surely acknowledge they kept the rebel stuff to a minimum today - the full range is reserved for their visits to the other side of the city where they know it infuriates the Diet Hun element amongst the Jambos.

My idea of supporting Hibs is to sing positive stuff about the football club, manager, and players. I'd imagine that's what the guys on the park would prefer to hear too.

barcahibs
02-03-2019, 09:35 PM

In this scenario politics and religion are both part of the same thing for which our society has chosen the label sectarian. I agree with you that it doesn't fit the dictionary definition of 'sectarian' - but that is exactly what I meant by hiding behind semantics.

The problem is tribalism (as a certain maroon FTB once described it) and it goes beyond politics and religion. It is two groups of people who have decided to hate the other based on a perceived set of values, backgrounds and traditions. If it stayed inside the football stadiums I would even say it was a colourful part of our shared Scottish culture and we should probably sell tickets to tourists to come and witness the spectacle. But it doesn't, it spills out into the streets, into workplaces, into families. It ruins lives and it is utterly idiotic.

I believe in freedom of speech, worship, association, politics, whatever. I think grown ups treating these issues as life and death is bizarre. I think someone getting so upset about a song that they'll go out and glass someone in the pub later, or harass someone outside their place of worship, or deny someone their basic rights because of it is... I don't even have words for what that is, it just does not compute in my head. But people do it.

I wouldn't ban any sort of singing or political display - but I would reserve the right to laugh at and namecall both should I disagree with them. I find celtc fans singing BOTB in a football stadium both hilarious and pathetic, the actions of fools - exactly as I view sevco fans singing God Save The Queen.

The celtc/sevco divide exists and it has been pandered to so long that it has been allowed to fester and it is detrimental to our society. Society has begun to make noises about stopping it (although I'm hugely skeptical about just how committed to stopping it much of society really is). If it is to be stopped then we need to recognise and treat it as what it is and part of that is pointing it out wherever it exists.

TLDR - you're right sectarian isn't the right term for celtc fans singing BOTB and sevco fans singing GSTQ, but no matter what the term is they are both part of the problem.

hibsbollah
02-03-2019, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure what sectarianism has to do with Mr S Island and his wee cretin pals chucking a glass bottle at one of Celtics most ineffectual performers tonight, and which is now all over the BBC match reports.

HibeeHibernian4
02-03-2019, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't ban any sort of singing or political display - but I would reserve the right to laugh at and namecall both should I disagree with them. I find celtc fans singing BOTB in a football stadium both hilarious and pathetic, the actions of fools - exactly as I view sevco fans singing God Save The Queen.

You’re spot on in saying this, but equally it isn’t semantics to point out that Boys of the Old Brigade, while unnecessary and pathetic inside a football stadium, isn’t sectarian.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 09:42 PM
In this scenario politics and religion are both part of the same thing for which our society hass chosen the label sectarian. I agree with you that it doesn't fit the dictionary definition of 'sectarian' - but that is exactly what I meant by hiding behind semantics.

The problem is tribalism (as a certain maroon FTB once described it) and it goes beyond politics and religion. It is two groups of people who have decided ot hate the other based on a perceived set of values, backgrounds and traditions. If it stayed inside the football stadiums I would even say it was a colourful part of our shared Scottish culture and we should probably sell tickets to tourists to come and witness the spectacle. But it doesn't, it spills out into the streets, into workplaces, into families. It ruins lives and it utterly idiotic.

I believe in freedom of speech, worship, association, politics, whatever. I think grown ups treating these issues as life and death is bizarre. I think someone getting so upset about a song that they'll go out and glass someone in the pub later, or harass someone outside their place of worship, or deny someone their basic rights because of it is... I don't even have words for what that is, it just does not compute in my head. But people do it.

The celtc/sevco divide exists and it has been pandered to so long that it has been allowed to fester and it is detrimental to our society. Society has begun to make noises about stopping it (although I'm hugely skeptical about just how committed to stopping it much of society really is). If it is to be stopped then we need to recognise and treat it as what it is and part of that is pointing it out wherever it exists.

TLDR - you're right sectarian isn't the right term for celtc fans singing BOTB and sevco fans singing GSTQ, but no matter what the term is they are both part of the problem.

That's a very well thought out post and I agree with its sentiments.

I would disagree about the dictionary definition of sectarian though. See my post above.

However, as I said earlier, and you have mentioned, it really is just semantics.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 09:45 PM
You’re spot on in saying this, but equally it isn’t semantics to point out that Boys of the Old Brigade, while unnecessary and pathetic inside a football stadium, isn’t sectarian.

Except, as has been explained, it absolutely is.

I doubt this debate will end with any agreement so I'll leave it there.

Famous Fiver
02-03-2019, 09:47 PM
A few things make me shake my head.

The dead club's fans are 'battalions'

The lesser greens fans are 'brigades'.

The 'Green Brigade' today all resplendent in their 'khaki' jackets, kiddy on IRA.

No doubt next week the 'Loyalists' will be suitably suited and booted.

Football, unfortunately, comes a poor second.

Sad days and emphasises, in my opinion, why Scottish football will never shake off bigotry,or even try to.

Iggy Pope
02-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Sectarian singing in the west ? Nah

I was in hospitality today and the ‘west’ was rotten with Celtic. No singing. Just lots of them getting right up the nose.

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 09:48 PM

Aye, and people claiming that it is allows the media to continue to perpetuate the myth that the problem is widespread, rather than focussing on the obvious - remove The Huns, and sectarianism would virtually vanish from Scottish football. They are the big, ugly, orange elephant in the room which the media doesn't have the courage to acknowledge.

barcahibs
02-03-2019, 09:52 PM
That's a very well thought out post and I agree with its sentiments.

I would disagree about the dictionary definition of sectarian though. See my post above.

However, as I said earlier, and you have mentioned, it really is just semantics.

Granted on the dictionary definition, I think most people (myself included it seems) think it only refers to religion though.

But yeah, like you say, it is just semantics, what we call it really doesn't matter, it is what it is - and I also think whatever it is called most people know it when they see it, they just often want to excuse it by arguing about the label (not aiming that at anyone on this thread).

The Modfather
02-03-2019, 09:55 PM
Aye, and people claiming that it is allows the media to continue to perpetuate the myth that the problem is widespread, rather than focussing on the obvious - remove The Huns, and sectarianism would virtually vanish from Scottish football. They are the big, ugly, orange elephant in the room which the media doesn't have the courage to acknowledge.

I wonder if that was a Freudian slip and belies some of your own prejudices in making the case that Celtic aren’t as sectarian as Rangers.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 09:55 PM

I think sevco are by far the biggest culprits, but if they really were removed, do you really think Celtc fans would stop singing about the IRA etc?

Lago
02-03-2019, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure what sectarianism has to do with Mr S Island and his wee cretin pals chucking a glass bottle at one of Celtics most ineffectual performers tonight, and which is now all over the BBC match reports.
All over the BBC, believe me that's only a start, wait till Monday & the SPFL start talking about the referee'' report & further action.

hibsbollah
02-03-2019, 09:57 PM
I was in hospitality today and the ‘west’ was rotten with Celtic. No singing. Just lots of them getting right up the nose.

I was in hospitality tonight as well, there were actually two celtc fans at my table. I was sorely tempted to swap the salt and pepper tops round just to **** with them. I'm a bit mental like that.

HibeeHibernian4
02-03-2019, 09:59 PM

How I see it too. I respect that others won’t agree, but for me, if you got rid of Rangers, Celtic’s overt sectarianism dries up very quickly. The IRA stuff would take longer to curb but ultimately I think would be too. They need each other to survive, co-dependent and profiting from the Troubles. I’d be ashamed to support either of them.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 10:01 PM
All over the BBC, believe me that's only a start, wait till Monday & the SPFL start talking about the referee'' report & further action.

And rightly so.

Same as it was at Tynecastle and, to a lesser extent, Rugby Park recently.

Something has to be done to stop the crap that surrounds football in Scotland.

However, can there be further action? I thought there was no strict liability or whatever it's called. :dunno:

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 10:02 PM
I was in hospitality tonight as well, there were actually two celtc fans at my table. I was sorely tempted to swap the salt and pepper tops round just to **** with them. I'm a bit mental like that.

F*** me, I never want to spill your pint! :paranoid:

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 10:02 PM
I wonder if that was a Freudian slip and belies some of your own prejudices in making the case that Celtic aren’t as sectarian as Rangers.

It wasn't a Freudian slip - very deliberate on my part. I detest the bigotry of the Orange Order.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 10:03 PM
How I see it too. I respect that others won’t agree, but for me, if you got rid of Rangers, Celtic’s overt sectarianism dries up very quickly. The IRA stuff would take longer to curb but ultimately I think would be too. They need each other to survive, co-dependent and profiting from the Troubles. I’d be ashamed to support either of them.

What would happen if you got rid of Celtc?

barcahibs
02-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Its another reason I'm against Strict liability. Why should I as a supporter be punished because some cretin threw a bottle?

Whoever it was who threw it should be identified and handed over to the police. There is no need for special words or special rules or special laws here, he/she deliberately/recklessly threw an object with the intention/possibility of injuring someone - that's already illegal.

Iggy Pope
02-03-2019, 10:07 PM

At least we offered them ‘Irish Stew’ in the Edinburgh Suite. An old South Bridge boy like yourself will recognise how we pander to them. The soup was orange though.

Lago
02-03-2019, 10:07 PM
And rightly so.

Same as it was at Tynecastle and, to a lesser extent, Rugby Park recently.

Something has to be done to stop the crap that surrounds football in Scotland.

However, can there be further action? I thought there was no strict liability or whatever it's called. :dunno:
Agree on all points, however bet there will be something done to make an example of Hibs, all in the name of taking action. To be honest there has to be something done about flares, coins & now bottles.

1875godsgift
02-03-2019, 10:13 PM

I'm sure the rangers support would find another target for their vitriol.

hibsbollah
02-03-2019, 10:13 PM
At least we offered them ‘Irish Stew’ in the Edinburgh Suite. An old South Bridge boy like yourself will recognise how we pander to them. The soup was orange though.

:faf: I never thought of that. Pea n ham (fae a chicken? Now that's clever) would have been a much more brotherly choice). Quality though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, was nice to see LeeAnn work the room, got a chat with Squirrel and Steven Whittaker but was too star struck to speak to John Collins. That man just oozes Monaco.

HibeeHibernian4
02-03-2019, 10:14 PM

Well, in terms of Rangers’ behaviour, we sort of had this experiment when they got demoted to the lower leagues. They were not as bad as they have been in the last couple of years, but they still viewed the SFA and the government as being ‘infiltrated by fenians’ and sung quite a few of the sectarian ditties.

The rivalry between us and them in the 2015/16 season is a very clear insight into what life without Celtic would be like for Rangers. They despise our very existence because we have the nerve to have been founded by Irish Catholics. The sectarianism in the December 2015 game at Ibrox in particular was absolutely mind-boggingly bad. Even in the Cup Final, they were singing about Stubbs being a “sad fenian *******”.

As I’ve said before on here, the power dynamics between the two groups are not as balanced as people like to think. Rangers fans, culturally, have enjoyed a certain ‘dominance’ (whether it’s a genuine one or not is another matter) over their Catholic, Celtic counterparts. Celtic, while disgraceful in some of their behaviour, are generally (and I stress generally) punching up politically. The same cannot be said of Rangers.

SideBurns
02-03-2019, 10:15 PM
I think sevco are by far the biggest culprits, but if they really were removed, do you really think Celtc fans would stop singing about the IRA etc?

I think their republican stuff is always more prevalent v The Huns and Jambos, and therefore a reaction. Most of the songs today were in support of their team (apart from the anti-Rodgers ones, though thankfully there was no sign of the despicable chant apparently aired in the Rosie on Wednesday).

However, I'm not so naive as to believe the rebel songs would completely disappear - it is too deeply ingrained, and sadly many will still believe it is a necessary part of a day out at the fitba.

Anyway, while I couldn't honestly say I'm really enjoying this debate, it's still better than talking about the match i endured tonight 😁.

Iggy Pope
02-03-2019, 10:17 PM
:faf: I never thought of that. Pea n ham (fae a chicken? Now that's clever) would have been a much more brotherly choice). Quality though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, was nice to see LeeAnn work the room, got a chat with Squirrel and Steven Whittaker but was too star struck to speak to John Collins. That man just oozes Monaco.

Unlike his big mate who oozes the Banana flats!

Moulin Yarns
02-03-2019, 10:21 PM
There was nearly a fight in the ff lower. Not sure if buckfast caused it though.

Over who was sitting in someone else's seat 😉

Hibbyradge
02-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Anyway, while I couldn't honestly say I'm really enjoying this debate, it's still better than talking about the match i endured tonight 😁.

I hear ya! 😁

Since452
02-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Im just impressed someone had the balls to take a bottle of Buckfast in

JXM73
02-03-2019, 10:46 PM
Both incidents highlighted on sportscene, embarrassing. Someone knows who did it, ****s

Fuzzywuzzy
02-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Over who was sitting in someone else's seat 😉

Jeez, took them long enough to twig🤣

JimBHibees
02-03-2019, 10:48 PM

Thousands my erse.

Bristolhibby
02-03-2019, 10:50 PM

No idea how. About one thousand stewards / cops in that area.

Both incidents happened BTW, just wondering HTF they happened.

J

CMurdoch
02-03-2019, 10:55 PM
Guy was in front of me, approx seat 200 in the East couple rows down from Z. Absolute idiot...few yards short and it would have hit a Hibs fan in the front row. Young team all wearing stone island, shouldn’t be hard to find and ban.

Had to laugh at the old bald men struttin' aboot wae their Stone Island jackets oan at the St Johnstone game.
You would think the young dudes would be put off by grand dads cutting about in the same gear as them.

DetroitHibs
02-03-2019, 10:55 PM
Just imagine the bottle made contact and busted Sinclair wide open. We'd be well and truly ****ed by the authorities.

JXM73
02-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Just imagine the bottle made contact and busted Sinclair wide open. We'd be well and truly ****ed by the authorities.

Still should be!

Radium
02-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Its another reason I'm against Strict liability. Why should I as a supporter be punished because some cretin threw a bottle?

Whoever it was who threw it should be identified and handed over to the police. There is no need for special words or special rules or special laws here, he/she deliberately/recklessly threw an object with the intention/possibility of injuring someone - that's already illegal.

If there was strict liability we would not be in any doubt that the perpetrator would be identified and dealt with.

CCTV would be improved across all stadia meaning that culprits would be dealt with.

Significant incentive for fans to point perpetrators out to stewards at the time.

Agree that no new laws are needed but clubs need to be under significantly more pressure to sort out fans.

Coin throwing has been around for decades. Smoke flares and thunder cracks have become trendy. Some songbooks are still in the dark ages. All would need to be addressed under strict liability.

Overall much more that is positive than negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
02-03-2019, 11:02 PM
If there was strict liability we would not be in any doubt that the perpetrator would be identified and dealt with.

CCTV would be improved across all stadia meaning that culprits would be dealt with.

Significant incentive for fans to point perpetrators out to stewards at the time.

Agree that no new laws are needed but clubs need to be under significantly more pressure to sort out fans.

Coin throwing has been around for decades. Smoke flares and thunder cracks have become trendy. Some songbooks are still in the dark ages. All would need to be addressed under strict liability.

Agree needs to be a collective responsibility too long clubs have been allowed to ignore needs to change now or risk losing thousands of fans to the game.

CMurdoch
02-03-2019, 11:12 PM

If only one of the many fans in that area had access to one of those new fangled phones with a camera on them :rolleyes: they could have taken a photo of the culprit at some point before the end of the match.

andybev1
02-03-2019, 11:32 PM
The hibs statement says that they 'understand' that there were two bottles thrown, one from either end.

vuefrom1875
02-03-2019, 11:58 PM
Bottle of Buckfast.....

Then it must be from the chip pan owners.

tonyrougier123
03-03-2019, 12:03 AM

No way,ive never heard sectarian singing in the west!infact there is hardly any singing in the west.

Frazerbob
03-03-2019, 12:17 AM
No way,ive never heard sectarian singing in the west!infact there is hardly any singing in the west.

I think he means the West if Scotland. 😂

LustForLeith
03-03-2019, 09:06 AM

I’ve been in the West for a few years and there’s hardly any singing. Lack of food in the kiosk probably the reason!

Since90+2
03-03-2019, 09:17 AM
I’ve been in the West for a few years and there’s hardly any singing. Lack of food in the kiosk probably the reason!

Think he means west coast.

.Sean.
03-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Had to laugh at the old bald men struttin' aboot wae their Stone Island jackets oan at the St Johnstone game.
You would think the young dudes would be put off by grand dads cutting about in the same gear as them.
I’d rather see Stone Island continue to be worn by older guys who’ve probably worn it for decades, than see it ruined by a bunch of spice boys who insist on wearing it with their sisters skinny jeans and no socks :rolleyes:

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 10:31 AM

I don't think he was referring to the West Stand

:greengrin

Fergos
03-03-2019, 10:42 AM
I’d rather see Stone Island continue to be worn by older guys who’ve probably worn it for decades, than see it ruined by a bunch of spice boys who insist on wearing it with their sisters skinny jeans and no socks :rolleyes:

Id rather see kids showing a bit of originality when thinking about their threads rather than a bunch of Green Street sheep.....

GGTTH

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Id rather see kids showing a bit of originality when thinking about their threads rather than a bunch of Green Street sheep.....

GGTTH

Stone Island? Originality? Same sentence?

Fergos
03-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Aye thats the point I was making bud, they all the look the same, no one has any originality, Stone Island is like a coming of age / badge of honour for them.

Wish they had a youth culture that at least gave them an option of being in a small way, original.

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2019, 10:54 AM

I saw the most strange set of clothes on a bloke the other day, he had a high viz jacket on and camouflage trousers.

Now thats original. :greengrin

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 11:00 AM
I saw the most strange set of clothes on a bloke the other day, he had a high viz jacket on and camouflage trousers.

Obviously couldn't make up his mind

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Aye thats the point I was making bud, they all the look the same, no one has any originality, Stone Island is like a coming of age / badge of honour for them.

Wish they had a youth culture that at least gave them an option of being in a small way, original.

GGTTH

Gotcha 👍

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 11:19 AM

:tee hee:

Scouse Hibee
03-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Especially the older guy with the Silver Stone Island jacket that looks like a spacesuit 😂

GreenCastle
03-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Yup - things will continue unless more is done to stop it .

Those running the game at top level are clueless though so wouldn’t hold your breath.

StevieC
03-03-2019, 11:27 AM

I quite like to wear what I'd like to think was smart, designer, clothes .. but interested to know more about the "age appropriate" rule book you have on such matters. I don't own a Stone Island jacket (and still have a full head of hair) but you have me worried that a personal choice of clothing could leave me open to ridicule from fellow supporters.
Also interested to know what constitutes a "strutt"?

silverhibee
03-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Why were you laughing at them, you see the same bunch at every home and away game, Hibs diehards so they are, you should have just had a word with them about there clothing at the time you were laughing at them.

silverhibee
03-03-2019, 11:51 AM

Stone Island seems to be pretty popular with football managers across Europe nowadays, must be proper hard c***s to be wearing that type of clothing, or maybe some folk just like the brand, is baldy Pep a Hibby. :greengrin

midfield_maestro
03-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Must have missed the Flower of Scotland verse that refers to a (still active) terrorist organisation.

Show me where that song refers to the Provisional IRA? It is not a sung I have sung or would sing, but it seems pretty clear to me that the song is referring to the IRA before independence, which then went on to become the national army of Ireland.

Pete
03-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Celtic sang “roll of honour” at both Easter Road and Tynecastle yet nobody mentioned it once.

Is singing songs about provisional IRA hunger strikers just part of the game now? I thought it was banned.

CMurdoch
03-03-2019, 12:56 PM
I quite like to wear what I'd like to think was smart, designer, clothes .. but interested to know more about the "age appropriate" rule book you have on such matters. I don't own a Stone Island jacket (and still have a full head of hair) but you have me worried that a personal choice of clothing could leave me open to ridicule from fellow supporters.

It's not so much that their look itself is young, it's that the older they get, the more it comes off as a flagrant attempt to preserve a badassness that they thought they had in their youth.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Short of strip searching everyone how do you prevent this happening? I walked straight in last night with no searches in the West, I could have been carrying a bottle of bevy or a flare and easily got in. Yet at Dundee and Perth we were all searched before going in.

Celtic fans seemed to get in no problem with their green flares, smoke bombs and bangers as well.

Baldy Foghorn
03-03-2019, 01:38 PM
It's not so much that their look itself is young, it's that the older they get, the more it comes off as a flagrant attempt to preserve a badassness that they thought they had in their youth.

Utter tripe. I am bald, and wear stone island, not because I'm bad ass, but because I like the clothes.

That ok with you Gok Wan?

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Utter tripe. I am bald, and wear stone island, not because I'm bad ass, but because I like the clothes.

:tee hee:

Pete
03-03-2019, 01:48 PM
£200 on a jumper?

I could go to TK Maxx with that and come out with a few smart tops, a pair of jeans and shoes. Could probably squeeze in a pair of gloves too.

#middleage

Malthibby
03-03-2019, 02:00 PM

There's only Wan Gok...
I think PC Murdoch was trying to point out that certain styles come with baggage. I knew skinheads in Newcastle who weren't erseholes
but it didn't stop them looking like erseholes.
I'm an old hippy so my afghan coat & cheesecloth are timeless.
GG

CMurdoch
03-03-2019, 03:01 PM

Jock Wan, if you don't mind

Moulin Yarns
03-03-2019, 03:06 PM
What is this Stone Island people are talking about, Bass Rock, Ailsa Craig or a mystery island in a Secret Seven book?

silverhibee
03-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Utter tripe. I am bald,fat and wear stone island, not because I'm bad ass, but because I like the clothes.

basehibby
03-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Exactly.

Hibbyradge - Barcahibs - stop trying to change the meaning of language please gents - sectarianism is sectarianism because of it's connection with sects aka religions - there is no other meaning of sectarianism.

No amount of twisted logic will change this - Rule Britania may be a jingoistic load of old twaddle and Boys of the Old Brigade does indeed go all misty eyed over the IRA and it's involvement in winning Irish independence - but neither song even mentions religion and therefore it flies in the face of all reason to state that they are sectarian.

That doesn't mean that either song is welcome at the football - they are not sectarian but British and Irish Nationalist respectively - and supplanting that meaning onto the identity of Hibs is as objectionable to me as asserting that we are a "cafflic team" (which WOULD be sectarian).

basehibby
03-03-2019, 03:20 PM
BTW - re the bottle throwing idiot - lets identify this moron - a life ban from every football ground would not be inappropriate.

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Hibbyradge - Barcahibs - stop trying to change the meaning of language please gents - sectarianism is sectarianism because of it's connection with sects aka religions - there is no other meaning of sectarianism.

No amount of twisted logic will change this - Rule Britania may be a jingoistic load of old twaddle and Boys of the Old Brigade does indeed go all misty eyed over the IRA and it's involvement in winning Irish independence - but neither song even mentions religion and therefore it flies in the face of all reason to state that they are sectarian.

That doesn't mean that either song is welcome at the football - they are not sectarian but British and Irish Nationalist respectively - and supplanting that meaning onto the identity of Hibs is as objectionable to me as asserting that we are a "cafflic team" (which WOULD be sectarian).

You are mistaken.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/sectarian

Keith_M
03-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Hopefully anybody throwing stuff at the game can be identified and given a football banning order.

Every club has it's share of idiots and we are no exception.

Incidentally, what was the result of the court case of the guy accused of punching the Hearts Goalie?

Hermit Crab
03-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Hopefully anybody throwing stuff at the game can be identified and given a football banning order.

Incidentally, what was the result of the court case of the guy accused of punching the Hearts Goalie?

Should be mandatory for offences like this.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Do we need to look at how the bottle got in? At McDiarmid through the week all three in my group were patted down by the security boys at the gate and we are all mild mannered fans in our fifties. My pal had to show his spec case inside his coat pocket when the security guy felt it.

Here’s Lucy!
03-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Stone Island seems to be pretty popular with football managers across Europe nowadays, must be proper hard c***s to be wearing that type of clothing, or maybe some folk just like the brand, is baldy Pep a Hibby. :greengrin

:greengrin There's being a baldy and there's being a 'cool' baldy like Pep, though!

How many bald guys on here wouldn't like to look like Pep?

Fuzzywuzzy
03-03-2019, 05:27 PM
£200 on a jumper?

I could go to TK Maxx with that and come out with a few smart tops, a pair of jeans and shoes. Could probably squeeze in a pair of gloves too.

#middleage

Aye, or they buy a badge from eBay and stick it on primarni gear

Sir David Gray
03-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Do we need to look at how the bottle got in? At McDiarmid through the week all three in my group were patted down by the security boys at the gate and we are all mild mannered fans in our fifties. My pal had to show his spec case inside his coat pocket when the security guy felt it.

Away fans are always more likely to be searched than home fans.

Here’s Lucy!
03-03-2019, 05:45 PM

And what happened to the thug that threw the bottle at Murrayfield?

GreenCastle
03-03-2019, 05:49 PM
And what happened to the thug that threw the bottle at Murrayfield?

And the last Away derby into the Hibs end ?

Here’s Lucy!
03-03-2019, 05:52 PM
And the last Away derby into the Hibs end ?

Aye, that too.

kaimendhibs
03-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Do we need to look at how the bottle got in? At McDiarmid through the week all three in my group were patted down by the security boys at the gate and we are all mild mannered fans in our fifties. My pal had to show his spec case inside his coat pocket when the security guy felt it.I got asked to show mine too and I don't wear specs [emoji23]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
03-03-2019, 06:55 PM
BTW - re the bottle throwing idiot - lets identify this moron - a life ban from every football ground would not be inappropriate.

or dealt with by the law, then a 12 month ban

CMurdoch
03-03-2019, 07:29 PM

Steve, you are held in high esteem by Hibs supporters for your long term work with Dnipro Kids :aok:.
As a result you can wear whatever floats your boat without fear of ridicule.

You do look more of a Quiksilver wearing guy rather than one who rocks the pavement dancers gear of choice.
However, if you want to change to a Stone Island jacket with jeans rolled up over a pair of 16 hole Doc Martin's you will have my full support!

ZAGREB RED
03-03-2019, 07:40 PM
At Dens Park a few years ago, I got patted down and had to show the steward my asthma inhaler to prove it wasn't anything suspicious.

cabbageandribs1875
03-03-2019, 08:37 PM
and at todders

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-47434458

Six people have been arrested in connection with disorder and the use of a pyrotechnic device during the Aberdeen v Rangers game at Pittodrie.

Police said five men and a woman were arrested at the game, which ended in a 1-1 draw (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47346998).

Officers are also investigating reports of seats being thrown by both home and visiting supporters towards opposing fans.

LancashireHibby
03-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Show me where that song refers to the Provisional IRA? It is not a sung I have sung or would sing, but it seems pretty clear to me that the song is referring to the IRA before independence, which then went on to become the national army of Ireland.
Come on, be realistic. You know as well as I do that the Celtic fans singing such songs is absolutely nothing to do with events 100+ years ago and everything to do with the self-styled “ooh ah” types.

StevieC
03-03-2019, 09:45 PM
You do look more of a Quiksilver wearing guy rather than one who rocks the pavement dancers gear of choice.
However, if you want to change to a Stone Island jacket with jeans rolled up over a pair of 16 hole Doc Martin's you will have my full support!

Is Quicksilver not for the skateboarding mob?
I'll stick with my Vespa than risk life and limb on a skateboard.. I'm no mod though.

My boat floating choices are pretty tame .. Lacoste and Adidas ZX are my designer labels of choice.

CMurdoch
03-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Is Quicksilver not for the skateboarding mob?
I'll stick with my Vespa than risk life and limb on a skateboard.. I'm no mod though.

My boat floating choices are pretty tame .. Lacoste and Adidas ZX are my designer labels of choice.

Had to look up Adidas ZX and found these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ian-Brown-Adidas-ZX-Trainer-Size-UK9/254148781542?hash=item3b2c72a5e6:g:oqgAAOSw6hZce~1 X

cabbageandribs1875
03-03-2019, 10:02 PM
i had a ZX spectrum

just sayin likes

wait a minute, what is the topic again

Fuzzywuzzy
03-03-2019, 10:05 PM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ian-Brown-Adidas-ZX-Trainer-Size-UK9/254148781542?hash=item3b2c72a5e6:g:oqgAAOSw6hZce~1 X

They gave me the fear

StevieC
03-03-2019, 10:33 PM

We seem to have gone a little off topic :greengrin

However .. wouldn't be my choice .. I'd go for the ZX500 like below .. although it's hard to find a proper old school Adidas trainer these days that isn't one of the multicoloured canvas crap they are churning out in their thousands!

StevieC
03-03-2019, 10:38 PM
i had a ZX spectrum

just sayin likes

wait a minute, what is the topic again

Me too .. and the topic is launching stuff at opposition players .. so maybe if a ZX Spectrum had been thrown, instead of a buckie bottle, the powers that be might be a bit more lenient?

JXM73
03-03-2019, 10:44 PM
Me too .. and the topic is launching stuff at opposition players .. so maybe if a ZX Spectrum had been thrown, instead of a buckie bottle, the powers that be might be a bit more lenient?

They might be a "bit" more understanding if it were a zx81, but don't think the press would byte much at such binary situations...

CMurdoch
03-03-2019, 11:34 PM

Could it be this guy that threw the bottle yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61kpyZ7rIE

barcahibs
04-03-2019, 01:32 AM

Nope.

This is exactly the problem. Semantics, whataboutery, arguing about definitions, giving one side or the other a pass because of some inherent sympathy for their views (not aimed at you).

Is Hun a sectarian term? Is Tim? You could argue about it all day. In fact the bad guys want you to argue about it all day because as long as we're all wasting our time looking up dictionaries and etymologies then we're not addressing the problem.

And even if you come to a conclusion it won't achieve anything because they'll just shift the goalposts - "aye maybe that was sectarian, but this isnae". And we'll all start over again.

Sectarianism might or might not be the right word for the tribalistic hatred that exists (mainly) in the West of Scotland but we all know what it is when we see it and Sectarian is the label that society has chosen to give it. The issue of whether or not the words/songs/gestures are religious or not is a total smokescreen - unless you really think that half the crowd at an old firm match are outraged because the folk at the other end of the stadium don't believe wine literally transforms into the blood of Christ at Communion and the other half are incensed that there's too many statues in chapels.

The various religious sects wish that these 'sectarian' agitators were solely concerned with religion, maybe then the churches/chapels wouldn't be so empty on a Sunday.

Celtc fans are really only singing about the achievements of the original Irish Army and sevco fans are all celebrating Nelson's victory on the Nile. celtc fans to a man care passionately about the struggles of the Palestinian people and sevco fans buy orange shirts because they've all got Dutch grannies.

There's a good Scottish saying that covers that - "Aye right".

But still as long as it doesn't meet the dictionary definition of Sectarian (even though, as Hibbyradge keeps pointing out, it actually does) it's all OK.

Like I've said I don't particularly care about the singing or the flag waving, it doesn't offend me in the slightest. Outside of an Scottish football stadium I quite like a Union Jack and will happily hum along to The Soldier's Song. Inside of a Scottish football stadium my immediate reaction is to laugh uproariously at anyone who would wave or sing either in an attempt to wind me up.

But enough people are thin skinned enough that it does upset them and it drives them to violence and bigotry. Up til now society has turned a blind eye because it benefits many people in positions of power, but if we really, really want to stamp out the sectarian bigotry that exists within the game, and within society, then the first thing we need to do is ignore the semantic arguments and call the problem out when we see it, every time we see it, no matter who the culprit is.

Or take my own personal preference and poke fun at it, the pomposity of both sides really is hilarious when you take an objective view of it. :na na:

Salisbury Hibby
04-03-2019, 07:15 AM
At least we offered them ‘Irish Stew’ in the Edinburgh Suite. An old South Bridge boy like yourself will recognise how we pander to them. The soup was orange though.I doubt that Celtic fans would have taken the soup....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Modfather
04-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Nope.

This is exactly the problem. Semantics, whataboutery, arguing about definitions, giving one side or the other a pass because of some inherent sympathy for their views (not aimed at you).

Is Hun a sectarian term? Is Tim? You could argue about it all day. In fact the bad guys want you to argue about it all day because as long as we're all wasting our time looking up dictionaries and etymologies then we're not addressing the problem.

And even if you come to a conclusion it won't achieve anything because they'll just shift the goalposts - "aye maybe that was sectarian, but this isnae". And we'll all start over again.

Sectarianism might or might not be the right word for the tribalistic hatred that exists (mainly) in the West of Scotland but we all know what it is when we see it and Sectarian is the label that society has chosen to give it. The issue of whether or not the words/songs/gestures are religious or not is a total smokescreen - unless you really think that half the crowd at an old firm match are outraged because the folk at the other end of the stadium don't believe wine literally transforms into the blood of Christ at Communion and the other half are incensed that there's too many statues in chapels.

The various religious sects wish that these 'sectarian' agitators were solely concerned with religion, maybe then the churches/chapels wouldn't be so empty on a Sunday.

Celtc fans are really only singing about the achievements of the original Irish Army and sevco fans are all celebrating Nelson's victory on the Nile. celtc fans to a man care passionately about the struggles of the Palestinian people and sevco fans buy orange shirts because they've all got Dutch grannies.

There's a good Scottish saying that covers that - "Aye right".

But still as long as it doesn't meet the dictionary definition of Sectarian (even though, as Hibbyradge keeps pointing out, it actually does) it's all OK.

Like I've said I don't particularly care about the singing or the flag waving, it doesn't offend me in the slightest. Outside of an Scottish football stadium I quite like a Union Jack and will happily hum along to The Soldier's Song. Inside of a Scottish football stadium my immediate reaction is to laugh uproariously at anyone who would wave or sing either in an attempt to wind me up.

But enough people are thin skinned enough that it does upset them and it drives them to violence and bigotry. Up til now society has turned a blind eye because it benefits many people in positions of power, but if we really, really want to stamp out the sectarian bigotry that exists within the game, and within society, then the first thing we need to do is ignore the semantic arguments and call the problem out when we see it, every time we see it, no matter who the culprit is.

Or take my own personal preference and poke fun at it, the pomposity of both sides really is hilarious when you take an objective view of it. :na na:

What an excellent post :top marks

hibsbollah
04-03-2019, 09:25 AM
I doubt that Celtic fans would have taken the soup....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It was tasty soup. But I'd already dropped hints to the two Celtc fans that LeeAnn had ordered theirs to be despoiled, so they left theirs untouched and didn't get to enjoy it.

You've got to get your cheapies where you can in life.