PDA

View Full Version : Why are Man City favourite to win the EPL?

Hibbyradge
24-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Liverpool are a point better off and City look like they have the harder run-ins.

Hibernia&Alba
24-02-2019, 03:26 PM
I suppose it's because of momentum. Liverpool were ten points clear, now it's just the one point. City also have the experience of closing out league titles, and I think they will win it.

SRHibs
24-02-2019, 03:29 PM
Man City have done it before, and won't choke in this kind of situation. If I had to put my money down it'd be on Man City.

Hermit Crab
24-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Liverpool have only won 2 of their last 5 league games while city have won 4 of their last 5 league games and Man City are the better team.

Renfrew_Hibby
24-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Yeah City are now clear favourites, no bookie worth their salt would price up Liverpool as favs at this stage.

City have the momentum, and crucially, the experience on their side.
Add to that City are the better of the two sides (by quite a bit IMO) and Klopp is a serial bottler.
Not saying Pool can't win it but in all reality, City to win by maybe a margin of +4pts.

HibbySpurs
24-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Man City are favourites for the simple reason that there is more money on them than any other team.

That’s what drives any betting market primarily... WOM (weight of money).

Should add that for the reasons already given above is why this is the case, people forming the opinion that for various reasons Man City will finish top.

Onion
24-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Liverpool had a great chance today to make their mark but choked yet again. They simply don't have the drive or guile to push on as win this thing, so expect City to take the title again.

heretoday
24-02-2019, 04:06 PM
Wishful thinking?

Lago
24-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Liverpool are a point better off and City look like they have the harder run-ins.
But they are the better team & have done it before.

Just Jimmy
24-02-2019, 04:08 PM
I'm just back from OT today. Liverpool were poor imo. Utd had much less of the ball but the better chances despite having to make 3 subs in the first half due to injury and having a much weaker squad.

city will win it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Here’s Lucy!
24-02-2019, 04:29 PM
But they are the better team & have done it before.

I'm assuming you mean City are a better team?

If so, your 'have done it before' analogy doesn't work, purely because Liverpool have won the League so many times more than Manchester City.

Plus, Manchester City are not a side that should be taken seriously!! :na na:

Come on the Pool.

Hibbyradge
24-02-2019, 04:31 PM

If so, your 'have done it before' analogy doesn't work, purely because Liverpool have won the League so many times more than Manchester City.

Plus, Manchester City are not a side that should be taken seriously!! :na na:

Come on the Pool.

Liverpool haven't won the league for nearly 30 years.

Is there anyone on the Liverpool payroll, never mind the actual team, that have won it before!

jgl07
24-02-2019, 04:32 PM

Aye in the distant past. Nothing for nearly 30 years!

Here’s Lucy!
24-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Is there anyone on the Liverpool payroll, never mind the actual team, that have won it before!

Aye in the distant past. Nothing for nearly 30 years!

I was generalising!

Just don't like Man. City is all.

Purple & Green
24-02-2019, 08:06 PM

Would you bet on Liverpool at 2/1?

Gloucester Hibs
24-02-2019, 08:15 PM
I'm just back from OT today. Liverpool were poor imo. Utd had much less of the ball but the better chances despite having to make 3 subs in the first half due to injury and having a much weaker squad.

city will win it.

There was chances in that game?

Hibbyradge
24-02-2019, 08:25 PM
Would you bet on Liverpool at 2/1?

I wouldn't bet Man City at 2/1.

I was just surprised that they were favourites.

hibbysam
24-02-2019, 08:49 PM

You wouldn’t bet Man City to win the league if they were 2/1?

Future17
24-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Man City are favourites for the simple reason that there is more money on them than any other team.

Should add that for the reasons already given above is why this is the case, people forming the opinion that for various reasons Man City will finish top.

This.

PatHead
24-02-2019, 08:55 PM
In answer to the op because Liverpool are bottle merchants.

Just Jimmy
24-02-2019, 08:57 PM
There was chances in that game?yes. not many but there were clearly chances. in addition to the fact that man utd had the ball in the net, which was (correctly I think) ruled offside, lingaard had a chance, pogba had one that looked in til VVD headed it away and there was one at the death flashed across the goal face.

people love to slag the fact the big teams cancel each other out very often but it's not much better in an Edinburgh derby. football often goes out the window hense our record stinks. teams often play not to lose or the talent level is so close that it cancels out.

utd made 3 first half subs due to injury and Liverpool made one. that also impacted the game and gave utd no real option to change it later tactically.

it wasn't a classic, but as per the usual English football haters are out in force* yet most tuned in.

I think Liverpool looked really poor. I was looking forward to seeing them come and have a go and see how United of late dealt with it etc. however as mentioned other factors came into that.

I saw the second half of the cup final and that wasn't as bad as people are making out either with both teams having chances. granted city didn't pump Chelsea as they did a week or so ago but that was never happening in a final between the two sides.

*not necessarily you personally.

Lancs Harp
24-02-2019, 08:57 PM
I hope Liverpool win it but I cant see City not winning it. They are simply a better team than Liverpool.

Having said that neither looked great today.

hibbysam
24-02-2019, 09:32 PM
yes. not many but there were clearly chances. in addition to the fact that man utd had the ball in the net, which was (correctly I think) ruled offside, lingaard had a chance, pogba had one that looked in til VVD headed it away and there was one at the death flashed across the goal face.

people love to slag the fact the big teams cancel each other out very often but it's not much better in an Edinburgh derby. football often goes out the window hense our record stinks. teams often play not to lose or the talent level is so close that it cancels out.

utd made 3 first half subs due to injury and Liverpool made one. that also impacted the game and gave utd no real option to change it later tactically.

it wasn't a classic, but as per the usual English football haters are out in force* yet most tuned in.

I think Liverpool looked really poor. I was looking forward to seeing them come and have a go and see how United of late dealt with it etc. however as mentioned other factors came into that.

I saw the second half of the cup final and that wasn't as bad as people are making out either with both teams having chances. granted city didn't pump Chelsea as they did a week or so ago but that was never happening in a final between the two sides.

*not necessarily you personally.

You compare this to our slugfests at Tynecastle. You can’t compare like for like. If we had the money these sides have then I’d expect a better product and accept criticism. Also compare the surroundings and on our hand we have a five a side pitch at tynecastle while they have a big wide quality surface to play on.

The biggest talking points today were injuries and a keeper refusing to go off. In the two biggest games English football has. Save me the excuses, your point about playing not to lose says it all about why the EPL is boring and overhyped. Of course we tuned in, as we expect it to be a decent days football, when in reality it was as boring as they come.

Hibbyradge
24-02-2019, 09:41 PM
You wouldn’t bet Man City to win the league if they were 2/1?

No.

Hibbyradge
24-02-2019, 09:52 PM
You compare this to our slugfests at Tynecastle. You can’t compare like for like. If we had the money these sides have then I’d expect a better product and accept criticism. Also compare the surroundings and on our hand we have a five a side pitch at tynecastle while they have a big wide quality surface to play on.

The biggest talking points today were injuries and a keeper refusing to go off. In the two biggest games English football has. Save me the excuses, your point about playing not to lose says it all about why the EPL is boring and overhyped. Of course we tuned in, as we expect it to be a decent days football, when in reality it was as boring as they come.

I didn't think either game was boring.

When the stakes are high in any game, I'm always fascinated.

Just Jimmy is right. Regardless of the level, it's quite unusual for the "big games" to live up to expectations.

Last year's World Cup final was the best one for years. The 1994 final was one of the most anticipated games I can remember and it ended 0-0.

ScottB
24-02-2019, 10:11 PM
Done it before, ludicrous squad depth, Liverpool having a bit of a bottler rep and, I assume, a surge of people betting on that outcome.

silverhibee
24-02-2019, 10:38 PM

King Kenny I'm sure is on the payroll as club ambassador.

calumhibee1
24-02-2019, 10:44 PM
Man City for me. Been there, done it, have a better squad and are on better form. I feel now that teams will take points off Liverpool, especially at home. I don’t really fancy anyone to take points off City and could quite easily see them winning at least the next 7 games (although I’m sure they’ll drop points somewhere).

I would quite enjoy another Liverpool bottle job :greengrin

Hibeesmad
25-02-2019, 01:10 AM

James Milner. Think he made 26 appearances the first time City won it.

jgl07
25-02-2019, 05:48 AM
James Milner. Think he made 26 appearances the first time City won it.
And 31 appearances the second time in 2013-14.

Just Jimmy
25-02-2019, 06:39 AM

The biggest talking points today were injuries and a keeper refusing to go off. In the two biggest games English football has. Save me the excuses, your point about playing not to lose says it all about why the EPL is boring and overhyped. Of course we tuned in, as we expect it to be a decent days football, when in reality it was as boring as they come.I'm not comparing, I'm saying that when the stakes are high the pressure means it often just cancels out.

as Radge says finals are very rarely high scoring swashbuckling finals. in addition utd Liverpool is a game where they dislike each other so much and don't want to lose. yesterday was impacted by other factors which managers had to contend with.

neither game was boring. there have been better games but neither was boring.

Sammy7nil
25-02-2019, 07:14 AM

Fill yer boots laying them :greengrin

I would be surprised if Liverpool win the league I think their best hope is Man City are fatigued trying to win 4 trophies.

There is no doubt Man City are and have been the best team in the league for years and that is the reason they are Favs.

Sammy7nil
25-02-2019, 07:17 AM

You are probably correct however a bookie can and does (not often I grant you) sometimes take an opinion and is willing to lay a team, horse, dog etc.

Hibbyradge
25-02-2019, 08:44 AM
King Kenny I'm sure is on the payroll as club ambassador.

That'll teach me to frame my point as a question! :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2019, 09:10 AM
Fill yer boots laying them :greengrin

I would be surprised if Liverpool win the league I think their best hope is Man City are fatigued trying to win 4 trophies.

There is no doubt Man City are and have been the best team in the league for years and that is the reason they are Favs.
They were the best team last year, not the 2 season before that.