PDA

View Full Version : Only eight points behind fourth place

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 05:26 PM
...and with it possible European qualification.

It would be a challenge, but you never know

:wink:

SChibs
23-02-2019, 05:30 PM
We would need a hand off a few teams as obviously we won't win every game but with a but of luck we could do it

neil7908
23-02-2019, 05:36 PM

It would be a challenge, but you never know

It's great to be looking up the table. We have some big games coming up and I suspect top 6 is still the realistic target. Killie and Hearts are both looking shaky at the moment so you never know.

The feel good factor is definitely back.

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 05:43 PM
We would need a hand off a few teams as obviously we won't win every game but with a but of luck we could do it

Definitely, and it would be very challenging, but I think it's a great motivation for the players to give their all for the rest of the season to have that as a target.

I'm not saying it's likely but it's good to aim high.

Hibeesmad
23-02-2019, 05:44 PM
We need to be looking forward rather than backwards. Huge game on Wednesday! Can’t wait.

SMAXXA
23-02-2019, 05:44 PM
It’s a disaster at Hibs btw don’t you know

mutley
23-02-2019, 05:49 PM
If we can stay in the top 6 by the split and keep close to the teams above, then know knows where we could finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HibeeHibernian4
23-02-2019, 05:56 PM

Only if we are knocked out by Celtic on Saturday (or Rangers somehow miraculously won the double). You can only qualify for Europe from 4th place if the league winners win the cup.

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 05:59 PM
Only if we are knocked out by Celtic on Saturday (or Rangers somehow miraculously won the double). You can only qualify for Europe from 4th place if the league winners win the cup.

So are you saying we should lie down to Celtc to have a shot at 4th place euro qualification?

K.Marx
23-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Not quite right. If any of the top 3 placed teams in the league win the cup then 4th place would then get Europe.

GreenCastle
23-02-2019, 06:00 PM
We just need to focus on making top 6 by keep winning then see what happens. Still plenty of football before then.

Since Hecky has come in its been a rescue mission to get us there plus the benefits of extra gate money etc.

HibeeHibernian4
23-02-2019, 06:01 PM
So are you saying we should lie down to Celtc to have a shot at 4th place euro qualification?

I couldn't possibly comment. :greengrin

But if we do knock them out on Saturday, 4th place will not be going to Europe unless the winners of Aberdeen vs Rangers go on to win the Scottish Cup.

SChibs
23-02-2019, 06:01 PM

I thought they stopped the runners up getting to Europe all together? So if Aberdeen were to finish 3rd and win the cup then 4th would get Europe. If I'm wrong fair enough

HibeeHibernian4
23-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Sorry, only remembered 2nd and 3rd afterwards. Still stuck in the mindset from last May when we needed Celtic to beat Motherwell.

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 06:06 PM
I thought they stopped the runners up getting to Europe all together? So if Aberdeen were to finish 3rd and win the cup then 4th would get Europe. If I'm wrong fair enough

It's the Cup Winners that qualify, unless they've already finished in the top three, in which case the fourth place team then qualifies.

rotherhamrob
23-02-2019, 06:10 PM
I couldn't possibly comment. :greengrin

But if we do knock them out on Saturday, 4th place will not be going to Europe unless the winners of Aberdeen vs Rangers go on to win the Scottish Cup.

Or we could finish 4th and win the cup😎😎 in which case the team that finish 4th would qualify for Europe 😎

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Or we could finish 4th and win the cup😎😎 in which case the team that finish 4th would qualify for Europe 😎

I like your version much better

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
23-02-2019, 06:37 PM
I'd like us to qualify for the top 6 first ...

Onion
23-02-2019, 06:51 PM
Need to stay focused on top 6, by beating St J midweek. That's all that matters just now, some folk are getting way ahead of themselves.

If PH managed to secure top 4 and European football this season, it would trump anything Lennon ever did as Hibs manager and likely result in his move away from ER in the summer.

BT58
23-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Id like us to win the cup and put Hertz out of europe ( if they were to qualify by place).....

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 07:01 PM

Yep, that's the first target, but there's no harm in aiming as high as possible.

It's just nice that our season's not actually over yet after all.

euro Hibby
23-02-2019, 07:09 PM
I watched the hertz game on vipB. Their pitch actually looks ok now and is Ok for teams that like to pass and move the ball quickly. St Mirren were very fast on the break and that gave the lumps in the middle a few headaches.
Berra does not like speed. But for a great save from the Zamal who replaced Doyle after his 1 howler , they would have scored 2 own goals.
Generally they play losts of high balls , always big and physical ... celtic will put 3 past them if they play like the away game in Valencia and keep 11 on the park.
4th Place for Hibs ...not sure yet......acid test might be st johnstone. certainly Dunedde and St mirren are improving, Motherwell are on a run, killie are going into a slump so its all to play for. I am not sure the starting 11
however are good enough.......missing too many players.... but if we keep improving.........??

Hi Heid Yin
23-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Need to stay focused on top 6, by beating St J midweek. That's all that matters just now, some folk are getting way ahead of themselves.

If PH managed to secure top 4 and European football this season, it would trump anything Lennon ever did as Hibs manager and likely result in his move away from ER in the summer.

:rolleyes:

wookie70
23-02-2019, 07:53 PM

Not sure it would result in a move so quickly but it would definitely equal and arguably trump what Lennon did last year. The Heck took over a shambles with players out of form and lacking confidence, drive and belief. We had no idea what the first 11 was(we do now it has played 3 games on the spin) and players had not formed partnerships with each other. Most of all we were a punt it up the park no style mess when Lennon did whatever he did and left. To turn that round and get to fourth would be a great achievement.

HibeeHibernian4
23-02-2019, 08:06 PM

Well, of course it would?

Lennon inherited a fantastic Stubbs side and, while achieving the bare minimum with promotion in his first season and then having a storming second half of 2017/18, ultimately squandered it and left us in 8th.

If, and of course it is a MASSIVE if (that I don't think will happen) Heckingbottom led us into Europe given the shambles he inherited from Lennon, then yes, it would be a bigger achievement.

JohnM1875
23-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Well, of course it would?

Lennon inherited a fantastic Stubbs side and, while achieving the bare minimum with promotion in his first season and then having a storming second half of 2017/18, ultimately squandered it and left us in 8th.

If, and of course it is a MASSIVE if (that I don't think will happen) Heckingbottom led us into Europe given the shambles he inherited from Lennon, then yes, it would be a bigger achievement.

Do some folk just hate Lennon now? Haha.

Personally I don't think it would beat finishing in 4th place (6 points off second) and gaining our highest ever points total. All in the first season back up in the league. Couple that with playing some of the best football I've ever seen us play.

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 08:47 PM
Jeez, another attempt at a positive thread has taken a turn for the worse...

Lennon's gone, let's just forget about him and move on.

JohnM1875
23-02-2019, 08:48 PM

Lennon's gone, let's just forget about him and move one.

I actually agree, sorry.

8 points is definitely in us though! Wednesday night is massive! Looking forward to it.

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 08:50 PM
I actually agree, sorry.

8 points is definitely in us though! Wednesday night is massive! Looking forward to it.

:aok:

DetroitHibs
23-02-2019, 08:51 PM
Beat St J and then the Huns and I'll be a believer. Definitely doable.

pacoluna
23-02-2019, 08:59 PM

Lennon's gone, let's just forget about him and move one.

A bit boring isn't it.

B.H.F.C
23-02-2019, 09:00 PM
To get top six we are going to need to get results against teams above us. If we get top six, we’ll not be far away from fourth as a result.

green with envy
23-02-2019, 09:10 PM
One game at a time - I know it's a cliche, in saying that i'm looking upwards in at least catching herts.

Diclonius
23-02-2019, 09:30 PM
If we want to be in with a shout at 4th then we simply cannot afford to lose any of our remaining games before the split, AND we'll have to beat both Kilmarnock and Hearts.

Borderhibbie76
23-02-2019, 09:43 PM

Lennon's gone, let's just forget about him and move one.Amen to that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

allmodcons
23-02-2019, 10:34 PM
Do some folk just hate Lennon now? Haha.

Personally I don't think it would beat finishing in 4th place (6 points off second) and gaining our highest ever points total. All in the first season back up in the league. Couple that with playing some of the best football I've ever seen us play.

It's laughable and most certainly not Hibs class.

CathroMustStay
23-02-2019, 10:37 PM

Ignore the troll.

badabing67
24-02-2019, 11:10 AM

I'd like us to qualify for the cup semi final first, then focus on top six :greengrin

Ozyhibby
27-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Only 5 points off the Euro spots now. Great results tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
27-02-2019, 09:54 PM
Beat Rangers at Home next Friday and if Aberdeen get beat by Celtic on the saturday we are only 6 points off 3rd !!

:flag::flag:

Spike Mandela
27-02-2019, 10:10 PM
5 games to the split but St Johnstone have the far easier games. Goal difference might play a part yet. Motherwell not out of it either.

Gonna need some big performances.

Borderhibbie76
28-02-2019, 12:24 AM
Beat Rangers at Home next Friday and if Aberdeen get beat by Celtic on the saturday we are only 6 points off 3rd !!

:flag::flag:That's crazy when u consider when Lennon left we were actually getting twitchy looking over our shoulders....amazing how different things look after 3 straight wins

Borderhibbie76
28-02-2019, 12:26 AM
5 games to the split but St Johnstone have the far easier games. Goal difference might play a part yet. Motherwell not out of it either.

Gonna need some big performances.But we've dragged Hertz back into the top 6 battle now too...possibly even Killie who seem to be on the slide...don't think it's just down to us st J and well now tbh

nonshinyfinish
28-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Just to be safe, let's qualify for Europe through the cup *and* the league.

calumhibee1
28-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Only 5 points off the Euro spots now. Great results tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangers are on fire just now so next Friday will be very difficult. Win that though and we’re really starting to turn up the heat on those above us.. especially Hearts who we would go above.

worcesterhibby
28-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Rangers are on fire just now so next Friday will be very difficult. Win that though and we’re really starting to turn up the heat on those above us.. especially Hearts who we would go above.

they’ve tended to have 3 good results followed by a poor one under Gerard. Every chance we can win it.

Keith_M
28-02-2019, 02:25 PM
We're getting nearer all the time

:flag:

Dear Yams, we're gunning for you!

Hearts
+0

Hibs
+10

CMurdoch
28-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Last nights MASSIVE result has turned the fight for 6th our way.
Motherwell have a tough run in so counting them out unless they beat us at Easter Road.
So long as we win 3 games from the 5 remaining then St Johnstone won't head us either.

Only 3 points behind Hearts now.

If we can hold that gap after the next 2 games we have a great chance to catch them before the split.
We have Rangers & Motherwell at home.
Hearts have Dundee & Hamilton away.

Would settle for a point against Rangers but beating Motherwell is a must win.

CMurdoch
28-02-2019, 02:49 PM
We're getting nearer all the time

:flag:

Dear Yams, we're gunning for you!

Hearts
+0

Hibs
+10

It looks good to have over 40 points now along with Hearts & Kilmarnock.

hughio
28-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Just to be safe, let's qualify for Europe through the cup *and* the league.

Absolutely sensible approach.Why take chances?

DO DO DO Stephy Ameonga!

PatHead
28-02-2019, 04:36 PM

St Johnstone would have easier games if they were playing well. Think they will gle to beat anyone just now.

Here’s Lucy!
28-02-2019, 05:08 PM

:flag::flag:

If your mothers brother was her sister she'd be your aunt and not your uncle. :greengrin

Sadly, there's no chance of us finishing third. :confused:

Cup Final though? Aye :thumbsup:

SChibs
28-02-2019, 05:46 PM
If your mothers brother was her sister she'd be your aunt and not your uncle. :greengrin

Sadly, there's no chance of us finishing third. :confused:

Cup Final though? Aye :thumbsup:

I don't think it's completely out of the question but it would be very very tough and we'd need a few favours

theonlywayisup
28-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Sadly, there's no chance of us finishing third.

I think statistically speaking, you're talking rubbish.

Probability or chance will always be between 0% (the event never occurs) and 100% (the event always occurs).

There's obviously a chance that Hibs would pull back the six point deficit that was referred to in the post you replied to.

Here’s Lucy!
28-02-2019, 06:04 PM
I think statistically speaking, you're talking rubbish.

Probability or chance will always be between 0% (the event never occurs) and 100% (the event always occurs).

There's obviously a chance that Hibs would pull back the six point deficit that was referred to in the post you replied to.

Och well, that's opinions for you, isn't it?

I think you're talking rubbish too.

In my opinion that is.

theonlywayisup
28-02-2019, 06:32 PM

I think you're talking rubbish too.

In my opinion that is.

Statistically that's 100% certain to happen at least once a day. I'm always talking rubbish.

Keith_M
28-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Statistically that's 100% certain to happen at least once a day. I'm always talking rubbish.

77% of people understand statistics and 33% don't.

Here’s Lucy!
28-02-2019, 07:09 PM

:greengrin:wink:

77% of people understand statistics and 33% don't.

:faf:

truehibernian
28-02-2019, 07:58 PM
The reaction since Lennon has left has been excellent and 3rd is well within reach - Aberdeen have hit a poor patch, Hearts with all their league winning 'Galacticos' back haven't mustered a winning sequence and have lost ground, even Killie aren't hitting the previous heights.

True tests will come next two games to see if the confidence levels can transfer to performances v the Old Firm. I thought we were very poor last night, but fantastic work rate and 'digging in' won us the points - but the football on show was poor aside the wonderful second goal. Must improve if we are to get anything next 2 games, especially Hanlon, Stevenson and the backline in general - woefully exposed last night at times and better sides would have punished us.

What I'm liking is the management of the players, there seems to be an allowance made for errors which means the players can express without fear of being lambasted. Heckingbottom is certainly a coach who encourages positivity and you can see that when the players are trying things. Need our creative players like Gauld and Agyepong back though - they could be very influential in the top 6 games should we secure it.

G B Young
01-03-2019, 09:13 AM
We're actually only seven points worse off than we were at this stage last season. I know that's a significant dip, but I thought we'd be a lot worse off than than bearing in mind how poor much of this season has been.

It would take some doing to replicate the post winter break form of last season though. I'd forgotten how good it actually was:

Dundee 0 Hibs 1
Celtic 1 Hibs 0
Hibs 2 Motherwell
Rangers 1 Hibs 2
Hibs 2 Aberdeen 0
Kilmarnock 2 Hibs 2
Hibs 2 Hearts 0
St Johnstone 1 Hibs 1
Hibs 2 Partick 0
Hibs 3 Hamilton 1
Ross Co 1 Hibs 1
Hibs 2 Celtic 1
Hibs 5 Kilmarnock 3
Aberdeen 0 Hibs 0
Hearts 2 Hibs 1
Hibs 5 Rangers 5

Crazyhorse
01-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Making the top six by the end of the season would be a great achievement given the way the fixtures fall.

B.H.F.C
01-03-2019, 09:24 AM
Making the top six by the end of the season would be a great achievement given the way the fixtures fall.

If we can win three from five we’ll be there comfortably IMO.

ian cruise
01-03-2019, 09:31 AM
The reaction since Lennon has left has been excellent and 3rd is well within reach - Aberdeen have hit a poor patch, Hearts with all their league winning 'Galacticos' back haven't mustered a winning sequence and have lost ground, even Killie aren't hitting the previous heights.

True tests will come next two games to see if the confidence levels can transfer to performances v the Old Firm. I thought we were very poor last night, but fantastic work rate and 'digging in' won us the points - but the football on show was poor aside the wonderful second goal. Must improve if we are to get anything next 2 games, especially Hanlon, Stevenson and the backline in general - woefully exposed last night at times and better sides would have punished us.

What I'm liking is the management of the players, there seems to be an allowance made for errors which means the players can express without fear of being lambasted. Heckingbottom is certainly a coach who encourages positivity and you can see that when the players are trying things. Need our creative players like Gauld and Agyepong back though - they could be very influential in the top 6 games should we secure it.

I admire your optimism but I'm in the "let's qualify for the top 6 first" camp. We've done everything we could so far to put ourselves in a great position but we've a real tough run of games to get through before it's guaranteed. One things for sure if we do get top 6 then we've absolutely deserved it.

After the split then I'll believe 3rd or 4th is possible as to get there over we'll have already taken pints off the teams in the top 6 since Heckingbottom arrived.

HibeeHibernian4
01-03-2019, 10:15 AM
We're actually only seven points worse off than we were at this stage last season. I know that's a significant dip, but I thought we'd be a lot worse off than than bearing in mind how poor much of this season has been.

It would take some doing to replicate the post winter break form of last season though. I'd forgotten how good it actually was:

Dundee 0 Hibs 1
Celtic 1 Hibs 0
Hibs 2 Motherwell
Rangers 1 Hibs 2
Hibs 2 Aberdeen 0
Kilmarnock 2 Hibs 2
Hibs 2 Hearts 0
St Johnstone 1 Hibs 1
Hibs 2 Partick 0
Hibs 3 Hamilton 1
Ross Co 1 Hibs 1
Hibs 2 Celtic 1
Hibs 5 Kilmarnock 3
Aberdeen 0 Hibs 0
Hearts 2 Hibs 1
Hibs 5 Rangers 5

I know this would be me being hypercritical of what was such a fantastic run, but it's such a shame that we dropped points at Dingwall and that Marciano got sent off in Perth and we couldn't hang on.

1van Sprou7e
01-03-2019, 10:18 AM
I know this would be me being hypercritical of what was such a fantastic run, but it's such a shame that we dropped points at Dingwall and that Marciano got sent off in Perth and we couldn't hang on.

Also the Killie game where we were 2-0 up before a ridiculous penalty and a wondergoal and the pittodrie game where maclaren missed 2 golden chances