PDA

View Full Version : Game On Hibs

CMurdoch
23-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Every result of this weeks round of matches has gone our way.

3 points for Hibs
1 point for Hearts
0 points for St Johnstone and Kilmarnock
0/1 points for Motherwell tomorrow

We have all of the above to play plus 9th place Livingston & Rangers before the split

The top 6 should be ours if we can beat St Johnstone on Wednesday.
A win or draw for St Johnstone would leave them favourites for the top 6 given their easier run in.

On the same night our pink neighbours play Celtic and our rivals Motherwell and Kilmarnock play each other.
It's all in Hibs hands and a win on Wednesday would see us with a realistic chance of chasing down Kilmarnock & Hearts for 4th or 5th.

CMurdoch
24-02-2019, 12:39 AM
Can't believe i want Celtic to beat Motherwell today :confused:.
However, it would almost count them out of the 6th place fight with St Johnstone and ourselves given their difficult run in.

Austinho
24-02-2019, 01:06 AM
A win against St Johnstone and a Hearts defeat to Celtic would see us 3 points behind our city rivals with a much better goal difference.

Both Hibs and Hearts fixtures before the split are:

Hibs
St Johnstone (a)
Rangers (h)
Motherwell (h)
Livingston (a)
Kilmarnock (h)
Hearts (a)

Hearts
Celtic (h)
Dundee (a)
Aberdeen (h)
Hamilton (a)
Rangers (a)
Hibs (h)

I’d have been much more worried about Livingston and Kilmarnock earlier in the season, but both are now a good chance at 3 points. Our one Rangers game at home is much less daunting than their Celtic at home and Rangers away combination. I predict we’ll be about a point behind them by the time the derby rolls around. If we beat St Johnstone though, we’ll be above them.

joebakerforever
24-02-2019, 01:19 AM
Reality check needed, the three league wins in the final round of fixtures have been against the current bottom three in the table.

It's going to be a lot tougher with the calibre of opposition in the remaining pre-split fixtures, starting with St Johnstone who have been our bogey side since we returned to the SPL.

Hibernian32
24-02-2019, 01:23 AM
Faaaaaaaking caaaam on big push hibs:flag:

CMurdoch
24-02-2019, 01:51 AM
Reality check needed, the three league wins in the final round of fixtures have been against the current bottom three in the table.

It's going to be a lot tougher with the calibre of opposition in the remaining pre-split fixtures, starting with St Johnstone who have been our bogey side since we returned to the SPL.

The upside is we have already played Celtic and Aberdeen

Other than Rangers at home we are playing all the other teams in our mini league between 4th and 9th before the split.
It's time to punch our weight against the teams on the small budgets.
Will we be able to keep up the recent momentum? I don't know.
At least we have the players looking more confident with 2 consecutive wins and with the new manager bounce in evidence.
A win on Wednesday would make me confident of 6th.
McNulty escaping a ban could be the vital factor. Suspect we will hear on Monday if he is being sited.
Fingers firmly crossed.

Eyrie
24-02-2019, 10:06 AM
The upside is we have already played Celtic and Aberdeen

Other than Rangers at home we are playing all the other teams in our mini league between 4th and 9th before the split.
It's time to punch our weight against the teams on the small budgets.
Will we be able to keep up the recent momentum? I don't know.
At least we have the players looking more confident with 2 consecutive wins and with the new manager bounce in evidence.
A win on Wednesday would make me confident of 6th.
McNulty escaping a ban could be the vital factor. Suspect we will hear on Monday if he is being sited.
Fingers firmly crossed.
If he gets cited, then we appeal it which will delay the hearing until after the St Johnstone game.

A cynical move but one which every other team does.

jacomo
24-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Can't believe i want Celtic to beat Motherwell today :confused:.
However, it would almost count them out of the 6th place fight with St Johnstone and ourselves given their difficult run in.

Celtc already 8 points clear at the top and no way we can catch them :greengrin

So happy for them to belt every other team bar us from now til end of season.

calumhibee1
24-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Celtc already 8 points clear at the top and no way we can catch them :greengrin

So happy for them to belt every other team bar us from now til end of season.

:agree:

I want Celtic to win 34 games a season. They’re going to win the league every season anyway so I’d prefer they beat all the teams we’re actually competing with.

SChibs
24-02-2019, 10:18 AM

I want Celtic to win 34 games a season. They’re going to win the league every season anyway so I’d prefer they beat all the teams we’re actually competing with.

Exactly how I see it, unless it was late in the season and would benefit hearts

Eyrie
24-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Not for me.

Regardless of how unrealistic it is, I'd also want them to lose a couple of games against the bottom three teams just for the amusement value of watching their arrogant fans go into meltdown.

Bangkok Hibby
24-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Not for me.

Regardless of how unrealistic it is, I'd also want them to lose a couple of games against the bottom three teams just for the amusement value of watching their arrogant fans go into meltdown.

Yes this....they can afford to lose a few games and still win the league so let's not make their fans think they're even bigger fish in a small pond. Mind you some European shark will always cut them down to size :greengrin

Pretty Boy
24-02-2019, 11:07 AM
We'll finish above Hearts. This may come back to haunt me but I'm calling it now.

I think Killie could be there for the taking as well.

CMurdoch
24-02-2019, 01:36 PM
If he gets cited, then we appeal it which will delay the hearing until after the St Johnstone game.

A cynical move but one which every other team does.

:agree: that is a cert.

CMurdoch
25-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Just over 2 days until the pivotal St Johnstone game.
Wishin' my life away to be there.

Diclonius
25-02-2019, 01:25 PM
It may well come down to the game at Tynecastle deciding (1) if we finish top six or (2) if we go into the top six with a head start over them.

calumhibee1
25-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Not for me.

That’s true. I’ll amend my train of thought to being I want Celtic to take double figures off every team we’re competing with :greengrin

Brightside
25-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Agyepong very close to a come back too.

calumhibee1
25-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Agyepong very close to a come back too.

I’ll not hold my breath. Would be nice though.

MacGruber
25-02-2019, 02:08 PM
We'll finish above Hearts. This may come back to haunt me but I'm calling it now.

I think Killie could be there for the taking as well.

Would love to finish above Hearts in what is after all their title challenging season but can't see it. I don't think we need to look further ahead than Wednesday though, lose that and a top six finish will be difficult never mind chasing a European place etc

The 90+2
25-02-2019, 02:24 PM
This time next week the picture will be a lot clearer as to how our season is going to go.

jacomo
25-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Not for me.

That will happen when Rodgers decides that Leicester is a bigger club.

CMurdoch
25-02-2019, 02:54 PM
6 league games to go before the split.

2 against the teams directly above us
3 against the teams directly below us
plus Rangers at home.

A mini league of 6 teams in which we currently sit 3rd on goal difference.
Every match is vital for us against the other 5 teams, 5 cup finals if you will!
These matches will effectively benchmark how good or otherwise this Hibs team are.

Can't wait for Wednesday. Perth here I come :flag: