PDA

View Full Version : Decision Making

allmodcons
23-02-2019, 06:41 AM
I thought we played well last night but was disappointed with our decision making at times especially in and around their box. Passed up at least 3 great opportunities by shooting when a simple pass would have almost certainly put someone else in. Mallan, Gray and Kamberi all culprits.

This is OK when you come away with 3 points but IMO it's something Heckingbottom needs to work on.

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2019, 07:15 AM
I thought we played well last night but was disappointed with our decision making at times especially in and around their box. Passed up at least 3 great opportunities by shooting when a simple pass would have almost certainly put someone else in. Mallan, Gray and Kamberi all culprits.

This is OK when you come away with 3 points but IMO it's something Heckingbottom needs to work on.

:agree:

hibbysam
23-02-2019, 07:18 AM
I’m actually going to stick up for Flo on his one, and I’ve not seen it back so feel free to disagree if you have.

At the time he looked up and looked like he was going to roll it across, however the defender in the middle stepped when Flo had his last look and cut the line off to the back post. That left Flo with no option other than to take the defender on.

Like I say I may be wrong when I see it back but at the time I thought it was extremely good defending.

Lancs Harp
23-02-2019, 07:23 AM
I’m actually going to stick up for Flo on his one, and I’ve not seen it back so feel free to disagree if you have.

At the time he looked up and looked like he was going to roll it across, however the defender in the middle stepped when Flo had his last look and cut the line off to the back post. That left Flo with no option other than to take the defender on.

Like I say I may be wrong when I see it back but at the time I thought it was extremely good defending.

That my view of that incident too. I think Flo looked up a couple of times but couldn't find the angle for the pass so went on his own. A pass was the best option but I genuinely think he just couldnt find it.

Decision making and speed of thought are very important areas of the game, the difference, quite often, between a decent player and a good player.

macca70
23-02-2019, 07:42 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if Flo squares that ball and defender cuts it out, he’d get slated for not just having a shot.

Mallan goal appeared to be a stupid decision to shoot from way out there it went in top corner. If that goes into the stand he sets slated for making wrong decision.

Maybe just need to be better at executing whatever decision they go with then folk don’t question the decision making.

calumhibee1
23-02-2019, 07:48 AM
I don’t think Flo could have squared it to Shaw, the defender would have cut it out. And as Macca said he would have been slaughtered if that happened. He done the right thing by going himself imo.

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2019, 07:53 AM
Agree with most on here re that incident as Flo did look up at least twice looking for Shaw who was behind play and covered but Flo does need to look up more and look for better options going forward but he is not alone

ian cruise
23-02-2019, 08:01 AM
I don’t think Flo could have squared it to Shaw, the defender would have cut it out. And as Macca said he would have been slaughtered if that happened. He done the right thing by going himself imo.

I was thinking the pass was on until the point where he would have/should have made it when, as you say, the defender managed to get back and cut out the option. It probably led to the shot looking a, bit more hopefully than determined as I'm not sure it was Flo's preferred option.

A few great decisions from players last night, a few that didn't come off and some that hopefully they learn from and look for a better option next time. Still much more positives than negatives for me.

On to the next game.

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2019, 08:11 AM
I was thinking the pass was on until the point where he would have/should have made it when, as you say, the defender managed to get back and cut out the option. It probably led to the shot looking a, bit more hopefully than determined as I'm not sure it was Flo's preferred option.

A few great decisions from players last night, a few that didn't come off and some that hopefully they learn from and look for a better option next time. Still much more positives than negatives for me.

On to the next game.

Agree with this

First thing PH said was they have to be brave and try things. They might not always come off but at least they are trying

:agree:

rossevenil
23-02-2019, 08:28 AM
More concerned about the decision making of our back 4 at times last night than the guys going forward,several times balls passed straight into congested areas and collected by the opposition and putting us back onto the back foot again...we certainly created more of our own problems last night.

RyeSloan
23-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Pretty sure Flo could have squared it if he tried but the worst was Gray in the first half...McNulty was standing in acres just waiting on a simple pull back.

But who really cares just great to see a Hibs team scoring 4 and having another 3 glaring chances to tee up others for more. If we keep that kind of chance making up then we will do absolutely fine [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyrie
23-02-2019, 10:07 AM

Pretty sure Flo could have squared it if he tried but the worst was Gray in the first half...McNulty was standing in acres just waiting on a simple pull back.

But who really cares just great to see a Hibs team scoring 4 and having another 3 glaring chances to tee up others for more. If we keep that kind of chance making up then we will do absolutely fine [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two examples of what I referred to last night as "positive mistakes".

Kamberi took a realistic option and it didn't work out, so same again please.

Gray took an unrealistic option, so a quiet chat about making a better choice next time.

eastcoasthibby
23-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Late on Oli tried an impossible square pass in the box with the keeper and 2 defenders between him and Flo, firstly it wasnt.on secondly he was one.on one with a defender who was wrong footed trying to get back to him, I think if he had checked inside the defender he was.facing.the keeper from about 8-10 yards ...
I also agree the tight passing in our back four in the second half especially on another day will get punished, get the ball away and shape up again....on the times we tried to.clear it there was no distance on it and we gave them the ball back bout 10-15 yards away, and they came straight back at us. More room for improvement.

A Hi-Bee
23-02-2019, 11:41 AM
More concerned about the decision making of our back 4 at times last night than the guys going forward,several times balls passed straight into congested areas and collected by the opposition and putting us back onto the back foot again...we certainly created more of our own problems last night.

Spot on and better teams will rip **** out of our defence unless they improve, we really miss Efe and young Porto, Gray and Hanlon are a liability right now.

Tug Wilson
23-02-2019, 11:57 AM
On the radio the commentators remarked on how well the defender did to cut off the option of the pass. Flo was left with only one option.

Montford
23-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately, as simple as it seems, being able to play the simple pass I.e. working the percentages of scoring a goal by passing to a player who will more likely score than you will, is a step up from the level we are at.
Intelligent players are few and far between out with the top major leagues..
A player needs to have the nous to reject his greedy instincts.
See it all far too often and never see a manager tackle it. Maybe apart from Advocaat. Remember Amato coming on as a sub, hitting the edge of the 6 yard box and shooting past the post (goalie blocking his angles), when a simple square pass would’ve seen the striker score (Rod Wallace i think). Advocaat subbed him straight back off the pitch. Think he got the message after that

Shrekko
23-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, as simple as it seems, being able to play the simple pass I.e. working the percentages of scoring a goal by passing to a player who will more likely score than you will, is a step up from the level we are at.
Intelligent players are few and far between out with the top major leagues..
A player needs to have the nous to reject his greedy instincts.
See it all far too often and never see a manager tackle it. Maybe apart from Advocaat. Remember Amato coming on as a sub, hitting the edge of the 6 yard box and shooting past the post (goalie blocking his angles), when a simple square pass would’ve seen the striker score (Rod Wallace i think). Advocaat subbed him straight back off the pitch. Think he got the message after that

Agree that decision making is what sets some players above others .... not sure you can actually coach it! Footballers are instinctive and some of the top guys just see things and are good enough to execute.

Onion
23-02-2019, 12:12 PM

Agreed, but no question of PH missing that. It was clear as day. This Hibs team lost its way under Lennon months ago and it will take more than just a couple of weeks to fix it. Last night was a huge step in the right direction against decent opposition.

wookie70
23-02-2019, 12:15 PM
I've been critical of Flo for not squaring balls before but I think it was down to not seeing an avenue for the pass last night and I actually think he took the correct decision. SDG and Mallan on the other hand got it wrong imo but I'm glad they both made the decision to run 50 yards to get in the advanced position. The more they do that the better they will become at making the right decision particularly with a coach who is encouraging endeavour and looks to have a great eye for detail and reflection.

whiskas
23-02-2019, 10:07 PM
Agree that decision making is what sets some players above others .... not sure you can actually coach it! Footballers are instinctive and some of the top guys just see things and are good enough to execute.

It’s also deciding when to be greedy and not to be- you don’t want players squaring the ball just because they lack the confidence to shoot them self! Also the gamesmanship/awareness of drawing in an opponent to make room for your team mate and keeping the angles in your favour.

The Harp Awakes
23-02-2019, 10:15 PM

You do have a point. When Shaw came on last week against Hamilton, 2 or maybe 3 times, he was running in on goal and failed to pass. It was all forgotten about of course as it was late in the game and we were 2-0.

monktonharp
23-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Spot on and better teams will rip **** out of our defence unless they improve, we really miss Efe and young Porto, Gray and Hanlon are a liability right now.I would never call Paul Hanlon a liability! he did not look at his best last night but hardly as you suggest. Gray did his usual 100% effort was being caught out with a much younger man . his legs have not gone (in my opinion) but he is not quick enough to deal with a fast winger anymore.

allmodcons
24-02-2019, 10:44 AM
You do have a point. When Shaw came on last week against Hamilton, 2 or maybe 3 times, he was running in on goal and failed to pass. It was all forgotten about of course as it was late in the game and we were 2-0.

I'm pleased you can see that! What I was trying to convey was that poor decision making is 'OK' when you come away with 3 points but at some stage it'll prove really costly.

In response to my OP a number of people have defended Flo, which is fine. Others have deflected by saying our defence needs to improve but in terms of the OP that's a debate for another thread.

Versus Dundee, Gray shot from a stupid position in the first half when a simple cut back to McNulty would have been a better (and easier) option and Mallan too tried to hit through the keeper, again in the first half, when IMO a simple square ball to McNulty (I think) would have been a nailed on goal.

What makes it more frustrating for me is that McNulty looks like a player capable of finding some great scoring positions in the opposition box and IMO a little more care and a bit of finesse in the attacking third will reap major rewards with him around and Flo finding his feet again.