PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee 220219)

Jonnyboy
23-02-2019, 01:16 AM
After securing three points in Paul Heckingbottom’s debut match against Hamilton last weekend, it was same again in terms of personnel with both the starting eleven and the bench mirroring that of the Hamilton game. I guess the new head coach is of the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mindset and who can blame him, given that another three points were secured tonight. It’s certainly refreshing to see that the departure from chopping and changing of both personnel and tactics has resulted in two positive and winning performances.

Sitting behind the goals amongst a very healthy number of Hibs fans I enjoyed the early exchanges in the game which were relatively even. Referee John Beaton waved away an early claim for a Dundee penalty when Ryan McGowan and Mark Milligan indulged themselves in a bit of Aussie ‘wrestling’ and in truth it was the sort of thing you see all too often in the present day game and if referees clamped down on it you’d get a handful of penalties in every match.

At the other vend, Horgan released Kamberi but as Flo dithered the Dundee defence recovered to clear the ball. With Hibs employing a midfield diamond it was no surprise that Dundee used the width of the park but sterling work by Horgan and Mallan ensured our fullbacks were not left in a one on one situation too often. Next a deflected effort saw the ball land kindly at the feet of Dundee’s Curran but the man in blue screwed his effort wide of Rocky’s far post. In response, Hibs broke down the left and Mallan should have done a lot better than shooting straight at the keeper with team mates waiting for a cross into the middle.

The deadlock was broken around the 25 minute mark when a neat through ball from McNulty saw Kamberi and Kusunga racing to reach the pass first. Using his physicality to good effect, Flo shrugged off the defender and blasted the ball home from just inside the box. Soon after, McNulty took the ball down with his chest and from around twelve yards out he swivelled and sent a stinging shot in on goal but Dieng was equal to the challenge and tipped the effort over the bar.

To their credit, Dundee did not let the heads go down and it took a smart save by Rocky to protect the lead but a few minutes later Scott Wright was allowed to drift past three poorly attempted challenges before delivering a ball into the six yard area, allowing the unmarked Paul McGowan to flick his effort past Rocky and into the net.

Thankfully, Hibs responded well and within five minutes were back in the lead. A quick thinking Flo Kamberi took a shy wide on the Hibs left and delivered the ball to Horgan who raced to the by line before sending a low cross to the waiting McNulty who tapped in from close range to give Hibs a 2-1 half time lead.

At the beginning of the second half the home side started well and only a fantastic save by Rocky denied them an equaliser as he dived full length to tip a shot by Dales past the post for a corner. Encouraged by this near miss, Dundee pressed forward at every opportunity but their eagerness to get level cost them dearly as Hibs struck twice in the space of about three minutes just past the hour mark. The first of that double came when Mallan took in a precise pass from Stevenson, then dropped his shoulder before sending a pile driver of a shot on goal. Dieng saved but could not hold the ball and McNulty reacted quickly to stab the ball home from close range. The second, Hibs’ fourth, was a thing of beauty as Mallan picked the ball up on the right and as he approached the angle of the 18 yard box he unleashed a thunderbolt of an effort which Dieng touched but could not keep out. It was an absolute screamer of a goal and typical of Mallan, given his expertise at scoring from distance.

At this point Hibs seemed to ease off a bit and invite Dundee to have the ball whilst keeping their defensive shape. It was a move that could have proved costly as on two rapid occasions, Kenny Miller headed the ball home but was deemed offside in each instance. These ‘goals’ came at the far end from my viewpoint so I’m not sure how close the decisions were but given that the Dundee players offered little by way of protest I can only assume they were both correct. The two disallowed goals gave Dundee additional hope and with about ten minutes left, their persistence paid off as the lively Woods beat Rocky from close range but from that point on you felt that Hibs were not about to implode and they managed the game well to its conclusion.

Back at the car I had missed Heckingbottom’s interview so I’m not sure what was said. I did hear Jim Duffy pontificating and I did hear Jim McIntyre bumping his gums about losing bad goals and having a few decisions go against his side. I don’t recall who it was that brought up the suggestion that McNulty should have been shown a red card after his tussle with Ryan McGowan when the Dundee man was booked for hauling Sparky down. It was suggested that McNulty’s boot caught McGowan in the face but I have two thoughts to offer on that. First, John Beaton was standing right next to the two players as they hit the deck and must clearly have thought this ‘mysterious’ boot in the face didn’t actually happen. Secondly, by the power of the internet I was shown the incident on my brother’s phone and I’m 100% convinced there was no contact between Sparky’s boot and McGowan’s face. I’m further told that Chris Sutton deemed it a ‘nailed on’ red card and wonder whether he’d have offered that view if Lenny were still our manager. Sutton, it seems, just can’t help himself in trying to be controversial.

A trip to Dens is never easy and the hosts had been on a decent run of form and so winning the three points was impressive. I actually though Dundee played quite well and on the basis of recent showings are far superior to Hamilton. Hibs fans sang about Dundee going down but in truth I just can’t see it.

The players

Rocky – On two occasions he made excellent saves to deny the hosts goals but other than that I don’t recall him having a great deal to do. I still think his distribution is poor in comparison to Bogdan’s but if his goalkeeping continues to help us win games then he’s justified in thinking he’s the first choice.

SDG – David was in the wars again tonight and I guess that will always be so because he never flinches about putting his body on the line. On one occasion in the first half he found himself in the Dundee box but used his left foot (that’s the one for standing on, Dave) to shoot at goal and the ball sailed miles over the bar.

Daz – Was well on top of his opponents but found the introduction of Kenny Miller as a substitute gave him different problems to address. Marking a target man is meat and drink to Daz but Miller in his false nine position is a whole different kettle of fish.

Paul – It must give him a tremendous buzz when the Hibs fans blast out his Scottish Cup song but then again maybe it distracted him because for a ten to fifteen minute spell in the second half his game went all to pot. Caught in possession, under hitting passes and drifting out of position are not traits normally accredited to him at all.

Lewis – The wee man earned his wages tonight as the diamond formation played by Hibs meant that he often had two men to mark. To his credit he coped well with a little help from Horgan and when Hibs went to a flat midfield four he looked even more assured.

Stevie – The laddie has his critics, my pal being one of them but even he admitted tonight that Mallan had a fine game. His goal was a cracker and his overall play was excellent.

Viki – Another excellent performance from Slivka who got through a power of work tonight as well as providing a string of fine passes to our two strikers.

Milli – Started the game really well and kept that going for the whole ninety minutes whilst his reading of the game and his positional sense more than make up for any lack of pace. He was my man of the match tonight.

Daryl – Was off like a whippet when the quick thinking Kamberi found him with a throw in. He left the Dundee defenders for dead before squaring the ball to the waiting McNulty for the second goal. Also had a couple of excellent bursts of pace through the middle in the second half and looked knackered when he was replaced by Omeonga.

Sparky – I love watching him play. His movement is outstanding and his reading of the game earns him that extra bit of space in a crowded area. Took both his goals well and though they were technically tap-ins he had the savvy to be where the ball was at those vital moments. His overall game was excellent and he pushed Milli for my man of the match award.

Flo – I sense that his confidence is slowly but surely being restored. The laddie used his body well to win the ball for his goal and his brain for setting Daryl free for the second. It is still a frustration however that there are times when he doesn’t lift his head and misses the chance to put a team mate in.

Stephane – Got a good half hour and showed up well, playing wide left in midfield which I don’t think is his natural position. I felt for him a bit because he was hacked down two or three times and then booked for a pretty standard trip on an opponent.

Oli – Worked hard in the half hour he got and has clearly listened to the new coach about defending from the front. Inside the last few minutes he spotted that SDG had been caught up the park a bit and so raced back to near the corner flag to get in a challenge before the Dundee man could put in a cross.

John Beaton – Whisper it but I thought he had a decent game tonight.

The fans – We took with us a fantastic support for a Friday night game that was live on TV and that cost £26 a ticket.

AZhibee
23-02-2019, 01:21 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

hughio
23-02-2019, 01:30 AM
After securing three points in Paul Heckingbottom’s debut match against Hamilton last weekend, it was same again in terms of personnel with both the starting eleven and the bench mirroring that of the Hamilton game. I guess the new head coach is of the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mindset and who can blame him, given that another three points were secured tonight. It’s certainly refreshing to see that the departure from chopping and changing of both personnel and tactics has resulted in two positive and winning performances.

Sitting behind the goals amongst a very healthy number of Hibs fans I enjoyed the early exchanges in the game which were relatively even. Referee John Beaton waved away an early claim for a Dundee penalty when Ryan McGowan and Mark Milligan indulged themselves in a bit of Aussie ‘wrestling’ and in truth it was the sort of thing you see all too often in the present day game and if referees clamped down on it you’d get a handful of penalties in every match.

At the other vend, Horgan released Kamberi but as Flo dithered the Dundee defence recovered to clear the ball. With Hibs employing a midfield diamond it was no surprise that Dundee used the width of the park but sterling work by Horgan and Mallan ensured our fullbacks were not left in a one on one situation too often. Next a deflected effort saw the ball land kindly at the feet of Dundee’s Curran but the man in blue screwed his effort wide of Rocky’s far post. In response, Hibs broke down the left and Mallan should have done a lot better than shooting straight at the keeper with team mates waiting for a cross into the middle.

The deadlock was broken around the 25 minute mark when a neat through ball from McNulty saw Kamberi and Kusunga racing to reach the pass first. Using his physicality to good effect, Flo shrugged off the defender and blasted the ball home from just inside the box. Soon after, McNulty took the ball down with his chest and from around twelve yards out he swivelled and sent a stinging shot in on goal but Dieng was equal to the challenge and tipped the effort over the bar.

To their credit, Dundee did not let the heads go down and it took a smart save by Rocky to protect the lead but a few minutes later Scott Wright was allowed to drift past three poorly attempted challenges before delivering a ball into the six yard area, allowing the unmarked Paul McGowan to flick his effort past Rocky and into the net.

Thankfully, Hibs responded well and within five minutes were back in the lead. A quick thinking Flo Kamberi took a shy wide on the Hibs left and delivered the ball to Horgan who raced to the by line before sending a low cross to the waiting McNulty who tapped in from close range to give Hibs a 2-1 half time lead.

At the beginning of the second half the home side started well and only a fantastic save by Rocky denied them an equaliser as he dived full length to tip a shot by Dales past the post for a corner. Encouraged by this near miss, Dundee pressed forward at every opportunity but their eagerness to get level cost them dearly as Hibs struck twice in the space of about three minutes just past the hour mark. The first of that double came when Mallan took in a precise pass from Stevenson, then dropped his shoulder before sending a pile driver of a shot on goal. Dieng saved but could not hold the ball and McNulty reacted quickly to stab the ball home from close range. The second, Hibs’ fourth, was a thing of beauty as Mallan picked the ball up on the right and as he approached the angle of the 18 yard box he unleashed a thunderbolt of an effort which Dieng touched but could not keep out. It was an absolute screamer of a goal and typical of Mallan, given his expertise at scoring from distance.

At this point Hibs seemed to ease off a bit and invite Dundee to have the ball whilst keeping their defensive shape. It was a move that could have proved costly as on two rapid occasions, Kenny Miller headed the ball home but was deemed offside in each instance. These ‘goals’ came at the far end from my viewpoint so I’m not sure how close the decisions were but given that the Dundee players offered little by way of protest I can only assume they were both correct. The two disallowed goals gave Dundee additional hope and with about ten minutes left, their persistence paid off as the lively Woods beat Rocky from close range but from that point on you felt that Hibs were not about to implode and they managed the game well to its conclusion.

Back at the car I had missed Heckingbottom’s interview so I’m not sure what was said. I did hear Jim Duffy pontificating and I did hear Jim McIntyre bumping his gums about losing bad goals and having a few decisions go against his side. I don’t recall who it was that brought up the suggestion that McNulty should have been shown a red card after his tussle with Ryan McGowan when the Dundee man was booked for hauling Sparky down. It was suggested that McNulty’s boot caught McGowan in the face but I have two thoughts to offer on that. First, John Beaton was standing right next to the two players as they hit the deck and must clearly have thought this ‘mysterious’ boot in the face didn’t actually happen. Secondly, by the power of the internet I was shown the incident on my brother’s phone and I’m 100% convinced there was no contact between Sparky’s boot and McGowan’s face. I’m further told that Chris Sutton deemed it a ‘nailed on’ red card and wonder whether he’d have offered that view if Lenny were still our manager. Sutton, it seems, just can’t help himself in trying to be controversial.

A trip to Dens is never easy and the hosts had been on a decent run of form and so winning the three points was impressive. I actually though Dundee played quite well and on the basis of recent showings are far superior to Hamilton. Hibs fans sang about Dundee going down but in truth I just can’t see it.

The players

Rocky – On two occasions he made excellent saves to deny the hosts goals but other than that I don’t recall him having a great deal to do. I still think his distribution is poor in comparison to Bogdan’s but if his goalkeeping continues to help us win games then he’s justified in thinking he’s the first choice.

SDG – David was in the wars again tonight and I guess that will always be so because he never flinches about putting his body on the line. On one occasion in the first half he found himself in the Dundee box but used his left foot (that’s the one for standing on, Dave) to shoot at goal and the ball sailed miles over the bar.

Daz – Was well on top of his opponents but found the introduction of Kenny Miller as a substitute gave him different problems to address. Marking a target man is meat and drink to Daz but Miller in his false nine position is a whole different kettle of fish.

Paul – It must give him a tremendous buzz when the Hibs fans blast out his Scottish Cup song but then again maybe it distracted him because for a ten to fifteen minute spell in the second half his game went all to pot. Caught in possession, under hitting passes and drifting out of position are not traits normally accredited to him at all.

Lewis – The wee man earned his wages tonight as the diamond formation played by Hibs meant that he often had two men to mark. To his credit he coped well with a little help from Horgan and when Hibs went to a flat midfield four he looked even more assured.

Stevie – The laddie has his critics, my pal being one of them but even he admitted tonight that Mallan had a fine game. His goal was a cracker and his overall play was excellent.

Viki – Another excellent performance from Slivka who got through a power of work tonight as well as providing a string of fine passes to our two strikers.

Milli – Started the game really well and kept that going for the whole ninety minutes whilst his reading of the game and his positional sense more than make up for any lack of pace. He was my man of the match tonight.

Daryl – Was off like a whippet when the quick thinking Kamberi found him with a throw in. He left the Dundee defenders for dead before squaring the ball to the waiting McNulty for the second goal. Also had a couple of excellent bursts of pace through the middle in the second half and looked knackered when he was replaced by Omeonga.

Sparky – I love watching him play. His movement is outstanding and his reading of the game earns him that extra bit of space in a crowded area. Took both his goals well and though they were technically tap-ins he had the savvy to be where the ball was at those vital moments. His overall game was excellent and he pushed Milli for my man of the match award.

Flo – I sense that his confidence is slowly but surely being restored. The laddie used his body well to win the ball for his goal and his brain for setting Daryl free for the second. It is still a frustration however that there are times when he doesn’t lift his head and misses the chance to put a team mate in.

Stephane – Got a good half hour and showed up well, playing wide left in midfield which I don’t think is his natural position. I felt for him a bit because he was hacked down two or three times and then booked for a pretty standard trip on an opponent.

Oli – Worked hard in the half hour he got and has clearly listened to the new coach about defending from the front. Inside the last few minutes he spotted that SDG had been caught up the park a bit and so raced back to near the corner flag to get in a challenge before the Dundee man could put in a cross.

John Beaton – Whisper it but I thought he had a decent game tonight.

The fans – We took with us a fantastic support for a Friday night game that was live on TV and that cost £26 a ticket.nice work -a good Friday night in Dundee-

Rattler
23-02-2019, 01:33 AM
Spot on as ever JB...wouldn’t disagree with any of that.

kaimendhibs
23-02-2019, 01:36 AM
Thanks for that.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
23-02-2019, 02:41 AM
A fine and an accurate write up Jonnyboy.

It's always a pleasure reading your reports and insights.

The only thing I would add is that Rocky pulled off not just a "fantastic save" but a "world class" save.

CMurdoch
23-02-2019, 03:26 AM
A very good team performance after 12 very quiet minutes. Menacing middle to front with McNulty and Flo looking the business. Wish we hadn't taken the foot of the accelerator after the 4th goal as it seemed to destabilise us. Poor decision making by Hibs players who decided to shoot rather than squaring or pulling the ball back cost us at least a couple of goals. McNulty is very good at finding space in the box and his team mates need to be looking for him when they are in advanced wide positions.

The match was a good watch and Dundee looked a better team than either Hamilton or St Mirren. 2 very good goals and Miller very marginally offside for another.

The Hibs players seem to be back in the groove and a really good night for Hibs saw Part 2 of the treble completed with the most important on Wednesday night.
St Johnstone are still the marginally favourites for 6th place given their easier remaining fixtures but a win for Hibs on Wednesday would tip the balance.
Can't wait!

duffers
23-02-2019, 07:36 AM
They said on the radio we played a diamond as well. It certainly didn’t look like a diamond from where I was sitting, not that it really matters like

allmodcons
23-02-2019, 07:49 AM

The players

Absolutely nailed on JB.

Honestly couldn't agree more. Your comments regarding McGregor struggling with Miller and Hanlon's strange 15 minute spell are spot on.

I too thought Milligan had a good game and was bewildered to see some posters give him a roasting last night.

Tyler Durden
23-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Hibs didn’t play a diamond. It’a been a flat old fashioned 4-4-2 for the last 2 games.

Slivka and Milligan sitting deep is the big difference but also let’s Horgan play his natural game. Suits Mallan aswell IMO.

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

Outstanding save second half from Rocky

Slivka will take your word for it as you were there did not show much on TV for me

Agree Kamberi could have played in team mates a couple of times

Going back to watching on TV I never thought I would ever agree with Stevie G but Sutton and Craigan especially Sutton seem to have an agenda against HIBS and kept asking for the Compliance Officer to look at several incidents involving HIBS players that would normally go unnoticed and be lost in the hurly burly of a normal game. :confused:

PeeJay
23-02-2019, 08:22 AM
Good report as ever JC - not sure about Mallan's "overall game" though - he does too little defensively, shirking or failing to win too many tackles - he really needs to work on that - great goal though and couple of decent efforts - 3 points away from home is never bad, many enouraging signs last night from various players and the overall team spirit, but PH still has an awful lot of work to do all over the park wiht this team ...

sean04
23-02-2019, 08:28 AM
Nice to see us looking so dangerous on the break and that's without boyle. So much more of an attack threat with 2up front. Horgan is a joy to watch when he gets running at defences. I think slivka is going to be an absolute star. Still a young man with a lot of potential. Playing a deeper role now but has proving he can get goals, good on the ball, makes good passes also think he is improving physically. Underrated by a lot of hibs fans

3pm
23-02-2019, 09:37 AM
They said on the radio we played a diamond as well. It certainly didn’t look like a diamond from where I was sitting, not that it really matters like

Agreed.

SideBurns
23-02-2019, 09:54 AM
Thanks for calling the throw-in a "shy", Jonnyboy. Reminded me of my Dad, possibly the last person I can recall using that term 😁

Aim Here
23-02-2019, 09:59 AM

Looked like a more tradtional 4-4-2 with Mallan and Horgan playing on the wing to begin with. When Shaw came on, it wasn't a like-for-like replacement, but he went on the wing where Mallan was and it became a 4-1-4-1 or something. That actually meant that the number 5 for Dundee was in a ton of space late in the game since there was nobody to press him, but since he was Dundee's worst player, it might have been part of the plan. Lets hope Hanlon's form improves or the other teams might likewise hit on the 'Gie the ba' tae Hanlon' tactic...

southsider
23-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Monday morning Higgy needs to get them in and practice defending set pieces. Kenny Miller 'score' but goal chalked off. Do we learn ? No as minutes later the exact thing happens but again we got lucky. We also lost a goal when they only had 10 men on the park. Criminal defending. Every time the opposition get a corner I fear we will lose a goal. We need to sort this and quick.

brog
23-02-2019, 10:50 AM
Great review as ever John. I just made the same point on another thread that Sutton's relationship with Lennon is badly affecting his judgement. His almost hysterical calls for the Compliance Officer to step in were shameful. I'm glad we already raised concerns over the compliance process as the authorities know we won't roll over. Incidentally, you won't have seen it being at the game & I haven't seen it elsewhere but we were denied 2 1st half one on ones by the linesman last night. One was marginal but the other was well onside.

jacomo
23-02-2019, 10:53 AM
The first Kenny Miller offside call was very tight and the camera angle means replays are inconclusive. 2nd definitely offside imo.

He’s still a real threat though.

Tyler Durden
23-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Monday morning Higgy needs to get them in and practice defending set pieces. Kenny Miller 'score' but goal chalked off. Do we learn ? No as minutes later the exact thing happens but again we got lucky. We also lost a goal when they only had 10 men on the park. Criminal defending. Every time the opposition get a corner I fear we will lose a goal. We need to sort this and quick.

I think the first was good defending. Hibs held the line, Miller started a few yards off before it was taken and he never got himself back on.

Second one seemed to be poor from Hanlon but again, difficult to fault the defenders when they played someone offside.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Thanks for calling the throw-in a "shy", Jonnyboy. Reminded me of my Dad, possibly the last person I can recall using that term 😁

I’m just an old fashioned boy at heart :faf:

FitbaFolkKen
23-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Who is Higgy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FitbaFolkKen
23-02-2019, 03:33 PM
I’m just an old fashioned boy at heart :faf:

Made me google the origin and it is derived from the coconut shy, would’ve been at the carnivals you went to as a lad in the early 1900’s ;) !

Always thought it was a bit random but never questioned it.

Keith_M
23-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Two points:

1) A very good write up, as per usual, from JB

:aok:

2) Why do people feel the need to quote the whole thing just to say "well written", or whatever?

:dunno:

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Nothing to add to that, summed up the game perfectly. Though I would have added the title 'world class' to Rocky's save … coz it was :not worth

Brightside
23-02-2019, 04:27 PM

Both times excellent defending as a unit.

southsider
23-02-2019, 05:11 PM

Do u think Celtic in Cup would get them chalked off ? Just defend & head clear.

erin go bragh
23-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Who is Higgy?

Our manager 🤔

RyeSloan
23-02-2019, 06:19 PM

Loved the first one...not a single Hibs defender even claimed for offside and Gray was in the middle of lambasting Hanlon when they realised offside had been given [emoji23]

BoomtownHibees
23-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Our manager 🤔

In what way is Higgy short for Heckingbottom?

Radium
23-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Good report as usual. Bonus seeing the revival of the shy.

Re Sutton, he is just setting up criticism of the compliance officer next week. It’s a win-win for him: either criticises when no action is taken or takes the credit if something happens. Sets Beaton up again for more criticism. (realise I might be giving Sutton too much credit and he is just bitter)

erin go bragh
23-02-2019, 07:47 PM
In what way is Higgy short for Heckingbottom?

Maybe the hig in his name 😉