PDA

View Full Version : Marciano

LaMotta
22-02-2019, 09:54 PM
Been watching Hibs since the early 80s and seen some superb keepers in that time.

But without doubt Marciano has pulled off the most incredible saves out of all of them.

Unbelievable that some people have still been claiming recently that they wouldnt be fussed if he left.

sean04
22-02-2019, 09:55 PM
Capable of unbelievable saves! His save tonight was as good as scoring at the other end

Hibeesmad
22-02-2019, 09:57 PM
We are so lucky to have both him and Bogdan in the squad, they have both turned up when needed. Spoilt for choice in that department.

Keyser Sauzee
22-02-2019, 09:57 PM
He looks back to his best and is incredible on his day. Needs to sort his kicking out still.

Forza Fred
22-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Long time since we had two goalies of such ability available for selection.....and yes Rocky’s save down to his left was indeed one for his highlights reel....world class stop!

renato
22-02-2019, 10:00 PM
That was the best save I’ve seen this season and, at 1-2, was critical for us winning tonight.

Vault Boy
22-02-2019, 10:01 PM
Absolutely stunning save, couldn't believe he got down to it. You'll do well to see anything better in any competition on the planet.

pacoluna
22-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Never really seen how good the save was from the away end , looking forward to seeing it when I get in.

green day
22-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Excellent save -perhaps one of the saves of the season?

Stevie Reid
22-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Saves like tonight are what have defined his time here, and cut him slack for the softer goals he concedes.

Incredible reaction and such a strong hand.

MyJo
22-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Best keeper since Leighton

calumhibee1
22-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Best keeper I’ve saw at Hibs. Outstanding save.

Hibee Mac
22-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Make no mistake, that save was crucial. Game would have been completely different at 2-2.

allmodcons
22-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Been watching Hibs since the early 80s and seen some superb keepers in that time.

But without doubt Marciano has pulled off the most incredible saves out of all of them.

Unbelievable that some people have still been claiming recently that they wouldnt be fussed if he left.

:agree: Really good keeper who, as you say, makes some unbelievable stops. Tonight's one at 1v2 was incredible and, most probably, game changing.

Jack Hackett
22-02-2019, 10:18 PM
:not worth

Shrekko
22-02-2019, 10:20 PM

Don’t think I’ve ever read anyone saying they’d be ok if he left?

Think it’s widely acknowledged that we have our best goalkeeping duo for many a year... if not ever.

I’ll be honest .. I prefer Bogdan but I think Rocky has been an absolute star for us.

LaMotta
22-02-2019, 10:21 PM
:agree: Really good keeper who, as you say, makes some unbelievable stops. Tonight's one at 1v2 was incredible and, most probably, game changing.

It was actually incredible, it was a goal all the way the Dundee boy could not believe it.

LaMotta
22-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Think it’s widely acknowledged that we have our best goalkeeping duo for many a year... if not ever.

I’ll be honest .. I prefer Bogdan but I think Rocky has been an absolute star for us.

Just cause you haven't read it dosen't mean it hasn't happened:wink:

But im not trawling through to find the posts:greengrin

noz
22-02-2019, 10:24 PM
great save...

tin hat on here, but I still think Bogdans all round games better.
Certainly his distribution is.

adhibs
22-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Was unbelievable. has to be one of, if not the best save I've seen from a goalkeeper.

04Sauzee
22-02-2019, 10:25 PM
Thought he pulled of a wonder save this evening. Can't believe our luck that we have Bogdan as back up.

Marciano certainly raises his game when he has stiff competition.

JohnM1875
22-02-2019, 10:33 PM
Excellent save -perhaps one of the saves of the season?

Was an outstanding save!

Pulled of this beezer last season as well;

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-keeper-ofir-marciano-s-save-against-dundee-voted-spfl-s-best-1-4747265

Shrekko
22-02-2019, 10:39 PM
Just cause you haven't read it dosen't mean it hasn't happened:wink:

But im not trawling through to find the posts:greengrin

Ah yeah I know that and please don’t... but it’s certainly not a common opinion.

22-02-2019, 10:41 PM
If that was de gea youd have morons tugging themselves into a frenzy about it for months.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-02-2019, 10:42 PM
The strength in his hands and wrists is ridiculous

LaMotta
22-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Ah yeah I know that and please don’t... but it’s certainly not a common opinion.

Agreed, but still more common than it should be though:cb

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Not sure that you would hear it often from Dens Park on a Friday night, but that save was a worldy

Crab apple
22-02-2019, 11:16 PM
That was a fantastic save. He really controlled his area tonight and oozed confidence. And not to blame for either of the goals we lost.

scotia44
22-02-2019, 11:17 PM
To the people that aren't fussed please tell me what keeper in any league on our budget you would have?
Guy is a world class shot stopper!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnOOtKfgEOQ/

overdrive
22-02-2019, 11:24 PM
The only three keepers since Leighton that get anywhere near Leighton are Marciano, Bogdan and Andersson. Of the three, Marciano is the most capable of pulling off world class save after world class save. I’d rate Bogdan a close second in that respect. I’d actually have Andersson as the best all round out of the three.

LaMotta
22-02-2019, 11:31 PM
The only three keepers since Leighton that get anywhere near Leighton are Marciano, Bogdan and Andersson. Of the three, Marciano is the most capable of pulling off world class save after world class save. I’d rate Bogdan a close second in that respect. I’d actually have Andersson as the best all round out of the three.

There is one other that comes close, particularly in his first season with us. Ben Williams had some outstanding games and saved about 200 penalties.

Hannah_hfc
22-02-2019, 11:46 PM
You could probably make a full YouTube video with Marcianos saves. Definitely a good shot stopper and I can’t remember a time where Hibs have had 2 keepers that I’d feel equally as comfortable with either in goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CmoantheHibs
22-02-2019, 11:52 PM
I thought Rocky was majestic tonight. Fantastic save and seemed in total control. Think his distribution was good too unlike others. Bogdan is my preference but Rocky has the gloves and it's been a while since we've had any as good as either of them. To have both at the same time is just amazing.

Sir David Gray
22-02-2019, 11:57 PM
He's magic, you know.

23-02-2019, 12:02 AM
Like any Gk he's capable of a howler. But that save tonight is as good as you'll see from the worlds best. 10/10

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2019, 12:02 AM
Save of the season, the Dundee lad couldn't believe it :greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
23-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Can't believe people are still going at his distribution. He could chuck the ball into the stand every time he has it and he'd still be a fantastic goalie. Save tonight was unreal.

Onceinawhile
23-02-2019, 12:46 AM
Bogdan is better at crosses and distribution, rocky is a better shot stopper.

I know which I would rather have in my team tbh.

basehibby
23-02-2019, 12:49 AM

I can remember when we were spoilt for keepers - with Andy Goram followed by Jim Leighton bossing it between the sticks. Since then we've had a mixture of solid and not so solid stalwarts with the odd short term star and a few comedy disasters.

Right now though - I think we are as well served for keepers as I can ever remember. Rocky is a great keeper and he's our player - brilliant shot stopper and rules his area very well. If there's a weakness in his play then it's been his distribution. Since he's come back in though - signs of improvement I think - great work Rocky - keep it up!

Meanwhile Ofir's competition for the No1 shirt this season has been in the shape of a Mr Adam Bogdan - on who knows how much at Liverpool and seeking game time at Hibs - well I'd like to say it's been a pleasure watching him - he's given his all for Hibs and has turned in some superb performances which have been a bright spot in what's been a pretty lacklustre season (so far;)

Hi Heid Yin
23-02-2019, 02:06 AM
That save of his was, without exaggeration, world class!

De Gea does that and the commentators and pundits are drooling and gushing superlatives.

Such a save by Rocky lifts his team mates and instills confidence right through the back line.

CMurdoch
23-02-2019, 02:11 AM
Save of the season, the Dundee lad couldn't believe it :greengrin

Neither could I :greengrin

zitelli62
23-02-2019, 02:38 AM
Being at other end of the ground didn't see it to we'll hopefully on sportscene highlights.

essexhibee
23-02-2019, 08:12 AM
Another in the long collection of ridiculous saves the guy has made.

His shot stopping abilities are ridiculous

Northernhibee
23-02-2019, 08:25 AM
One of the best shot stoppers in Europe.

Allant1981
23-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Cracking keeper and we have 2 of the best keepers in the league, I got shot down in flames a while back but I wouldn't have any other keeper in the league in our squad ahead of marciano and bogdan

1875M
23-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Lennon's best signing IMO.

FilipinoHibs
23-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Lennon's best signing IMO.

He and his wife love living in Edinburgh too.

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2019, 09:49 AM
If that was de gea youd have morons tugging themselves into a frenzy about it for months.

The strength in his hands and wrists is ridiculous

Is it just me? :greengrin

WestCoastHibby
23-02-2019, 09:53 AM
Just seen it this morning. Top drawer

MrRobot
23-02-2019, 09:53 AM
Marciano is solid.

BSEJVT
23-02-2019, 09:54 AM
That was a great save absolutely no doubt, but I thought the one against St Mirren recently was even better.

For years and years Hibs haven't had a goalie make those types of saves.

They haven't made many howlers, but they also haven't made many saves that I didn't think I couldn't make myself

Last couple of seasons that has changed with Marciano & Bogdan

Bob Box Fish
23-02-2019, 12:27 PM
If Rocky could command his area a bit better in particular catching crosses he could go on to be a top player. Good goalies are hard to come by we are lucky to have two. Fraser Forster went on to the Premiership- Rocky should set that as his target.

WillowbraeHibby
23-02-2019, 12:31 PM

For me, I couldn't pass a fag paper between them, both have smashing qualities, and we are fortunate to have them both.

My_Wife_Camille
23-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Absolutely love him. Far better than Bogdan imo

hibbysam
23-02-2019, 12:55 PM
If Rocky could command his area a bit better in particular catching crosses he could go on to be a top player. Good goalies are hard to come by we are lucky to have two. Fraser Forster went on to the Premiership- Rocky should set that as his target.

Fraser Forster never left his line for Celtic. Reason being is goalkeepers would rather back their shot stopping ability than make a rash decision and give a player a tap in. If our defence know rocky isn’t coming for things they know to defend it, it’s not an issue. Let the defence defend, and he stops the shots. He was sharp enough off his line when Stevenson done well to get between attacker and ball last night.

Shrekko
23-02-2019, 02:30 PM
That was a great save absolutely no doubt, but I thought the one against St Mirren recently was even better.

His one against Celtic at Celtic Park from the header recently was astounding.

Hibernia&Alba
23-02-2019, 02:35 PM
He's been a superb signing. Goram is the best I've seen, but Marciano is up there amongst the best I've seen. God knows we've had some terrible keepers :greengrin

SRHibs
23-02-2019, 02:38 PM
Good goalkeepers seem to be under appreciated, and any mistakes over criticised, like we expect perfection. Both Marciano and Bogdan wouldn’t look out of place in the EPL/upper championship.

Eyrie
23-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Good goalkeepers seem to be under appreciated, and any mistakes over criticised, like we expect perfection. Both Marciano and Bogdan wouldn’t look out of place in the EPL/upper championship.

Making a save (Marciano) or not making it (their keeper at Mallan's goal) is every bit as crucial to the final result as a striker converting a chance, so a good keeper is every bit as important as a top striker or playmaker.

Yet the position has strangely been undervalued until recently (the big money moves for Alisson and Arrizabalaga).

Captain Trips
23-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Every much the reason we got 3pts.

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Never been the big mans biggest fan but a special shout out to Rocky Marciano

The Big Man has been immense the last couple of games

He has definitely benefited from playing behind a settled defence his confidence has increased and his kicking and distribution have improved beyond all recognition

His one on one one handed save second half versus Kilmarnock was top drawer followed by an outstanding performance at the PBS yesterday

Credit where credit is due

Respect!

Also good to see Bogdan back on the bench

Sir David Gray
07-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Never been the big mans biggest fan but a special shout out to Rocky Marciano

The Big Man has been immense the last couple of games

He has definitely benefited from playing behind a settled defence his confidence has increased and his kicking and distribution have improved beyond all recognition

His one on one one handed save second half versus Kilmarnock was top drawer followed by an outstanding performance at the PBS yesterday

Credit where credit is due

Respect!

Also good to see Bogdan back on the bench

Can I ask why you've never been his biggest fan?

I think he's our best goalkeeper for many years.

Heisenberg
07-04-2019, 08:49 AM

Absolutely agree. Best keeper we’ve had for a very long time. Bogdan a close second.

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2019, 08:51 AM

Distribution

Catalogue of Rocky moments interspersed with wonder saves
( Morelos near post Christie near post St Johnstone horror show etc etc)

You did ask?

As I said Respect! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
07-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Distribution

Catalogue of Rocky moments interspersed with wonder saves
( Morelos near post Christie near post St Johnstone horror show etc etc)

You did ask?

As I said Respect! :greengrin

It was a genuine question so thanks for answering.

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2019, 08:59 AM
It was a genuine question so thanks for answering.

Nae bother

The point of my OP was to praise the guy

Onwards and upwards

:greengrin

calumhibee1
07-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Best keeper we’ve had in my life time.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-04-2019, 09:11 AM
I remember a YouTube reel of his best saves when we were first linked with him and he looked unbelievable. Would love to see a similar video of all his best saves for us. Made some genuine world class saves in his time with us so far.

makaveli1875
07-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Were you not around in 2016 :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2019, 09:15 AM

Yeah!

How old are you?

Two?

jacomo
07-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Absolutely agree. Best keeper we’ve had for a very long time. Bogdan a close second.

:agree:

We’ve an embarrassment of riches in this position now, compared to what came before.

calumhibee1
07-04-2019, 09:18 AM
Yeah!

How old are you?

Two?

28. Goram a wee bit before my time and I can’t really remember Leighton. So starting from oli gottskalksson :greengrin I reckon he’s the best I can remember :agree:

Other than the polar bear of course :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2019, 09:20 AM
28. Goram a wee bit before my time and I can’t really remember Leighton. So starting from oli gottskalksson :greengrin I reckon he’s the best I can remember :agree:

Other than the polar bear of course :greengrin

Agree feel sorry you young guys

Goram Leighton Budgie Roughie Herriot Simpson....starting to show my age now :greengrin

Dont forget the Roly Goalie the Polar Bear

whiskas
07-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Love big Ofir. Although he didn’t have many “camera” saves to make yesterday his decision making was spot-on against a very physical Hertz side and his handling was impeccable.

Eyrie
07-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Marciano was punching more than normal yesterday, which I assume was a deliberate tactic to get the ball away quickly instead of risking a catch with bodies crashing into him. Generally Omeonga did well in tidying up the resultant ball.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Marciano was punching more than normal yesterday, which I assume was a deliberate tactic to get the ball away quickly instead of risking a catch with bodies crashing into him. Generally Omeonga did well in tidying up the resultant ball.

He was - I assumed it was due to the wet conditions. He came for a lot more than normal and handled it well.

Inconsequential
07-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Marciano was punching more than normal yesterday, which I assume was a deliberate tactic to get the ball away quickly instead of risking a catch with bodies crashing into him. Generally Omeonga did well in tidying up the resultant ball. I always like to see a goalie coming for a cross and making a clean catch. However the modern way I'm led to believe is to punch. It actually makes sense why risk dropping a ball which in Scotland can be slippery at the feet of an opponent? A punch gets the ball out of the penalty area ( in theory) and can start a counter attack. Discuss.

Famous Fiver
07-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Tommy Younger was not a bad keeper.

07-04-2019, 01:56 PM

Was pleased to see Rocky coming out for the ball more than usual. Think he possibly punched it as many times yesterday as he has in every previous game in total. I was wondering if it was Heckingbottom's influence, encouraging him to be more commanding in his box.

ancient hibee
07-04-2019, 01:57 PM
My top three-Goram,Leslie,Younger.

Thought Marciano did really well with his punches.When the balls were shelled into the box it was more like a rugby line out.

Paul1642
07-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Certainly the best in my memory ( starting mid 90’s). Was saying yesterday that despite being out for some if it he should be the player of the year. He makes at least one phenomenal save near enough every game. A concede avoided is worth as much as a goal scored at the end of the day. Our top scorer is Flo on 8 and I reckon Marciano has easy saved us more than 8 compared to what an average keeper would have (and in most of my lifetime our keepers have been below average at best!)

Allant1981
07-04-2019, 02:36 PM
I started watching hibs in the early 90's and apart from Jim Leighton he is the best keeper I've ever seen at ER, some of the saves he makes are unbelievable, yip his kicking is pretty rank but if he keeps us in games with his saves then it makes up for it

Billy Whizz
07-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Have a worry that Lennon comes after him, if he gets the Celtic gig

Tarrahib
07-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Maybe Come calling for Bogdan?

essexhibee
07-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Would be astounded if Lennon had any chance tbh. I don’t think Celtic have looked great at all since he has been there.

neil7908
07-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Maybe Come calling for Bogdan?

Good shout.

hibee316
07-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Would be astounded if Lennon had any chance tbh. I don’t think Celtic have looked great at all since he has been there.

This. Would be interested to know what Celtic fans actually think of him.

Weegreenman
07-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Like most keepers he can be hot and cold. It’s more about consistency for me. He’s proved that he has what it takes but I also think he knows if he isn’t consistent then we have a ready replacement lined up In Bogdan. Both are equally as good as each other for me.

Hibeesmad
07-04-2019, 05:56 PM
This. Would be interested to know what Celtic fans actually think of him.

Most Celtic fans I know personally love him and want him to be there for '10 in a row'. Wouldn't be surprised to see him stay until then if they do it as it will be seen as the cheaper option for the board.

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Most Celtic fans I know personally love him and want him to be there for '10 in a row'. Wouldn't be surprised to see him stay until then if they do it as it will be seen as the cheaper option for the board.

The Celtic fans I know don’t want him and see him as a stop gap and fantasise about signing a Champions League standard Manager like Roberto Martinez in the close season

Then again these are the same Celtic fans that were signing SJM as a bench warmer last summer :greengrin

Crazyhorse
07-04-2019, 07:12 PM
I started watching hibs in the early 90's and apart from Jim Leighton he is the best keeper I've ever seen at ER, some of the saves he makes are unbelievable, yip his kicking is pretty rank but if he keeps us in games with his saves then it makes up for it

Me too started going to ER in 1993 when I moved to Edinburgh from NI so just missed the Goram era.

hibbysam
07-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Like most keepers he can be hot and cold. It’s more about consistency for me. He’s proved that he has what it takes but I also think he knows if he isn’t consistent then we have a ready replacement lined up In Bogdan. Both are equally as good as each other for me.

Marciano is about as consistent as they come at our level and makes unbelievable saves on so many occasions. He’s a far better goalkeeper than Bogdan and as good a keeper as I’ve seen in 20 years following hibs.

MWHIBBIES
07-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Marciano is about as consistent as they come at our level and makes unbelievable saves on so many occasions. He’s a far better goalkeeper than Bogdan and as good a keeper as I’ve seen in 20 years following hibs.

Come on, he is a great keeper and should be playing every week but he isn't ''far better'' than Bogdan. Bogdan away in Europe was the best performance of any Hibs goalie this season. very little between them

hibbysam
07-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Come on, he is a great keeper and should be playing every week but he isn't ''far better'' than Bogdan. Bogdan away in Europe was the best performance of any Hibs goalie this season. very little between them

Until I see Bogdan have consistent performances over a number of months then he is far better. I also remember Bogdan in the home European games. Added to Marciano’s shot stopping, his decision making and communication is outstanding. The defence automatically seem far more assured in front of him than they do with any other keeper.

MWHIBBIES
07-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Until I see Bogdan have consistent performances over a number of months then he is far better. I also remember Bogdan in the home European games. Added to Marciano’s shot stopping, his decision making and communication is outstanding. The defence automatically seem far more assured in front of him than they do with any other keeper.

Bogdan did have those consistent performances. He made 1 poor mistake vs Asteras at home and a slightly shaky league start. Otherwise was excellent.

I agree about the defence but 2 years of playing with Rocky will do that.

Shrekko
07-04-2019, 10:09 PM

He’s not “far better” than Bogdan who actually was consistently very good for a few months.

What nobody can deny is that Rocky’s form in the games he’s played this season has been spectacular.

I don’t think he comes for enough and his punching can be a bit ropey but the saves have been astounding.

zitelli62
07-04-2019, 11:45 PM
Best keeper in the league in my opinion in fact I think we have the two best keepers in the league just my opinion.

Crunchie
08-04-2019, 03:12 AM
Capable of unbelievable saves! His save tonight was as good as scoring at the other end

Also capable of the odd clanger but you're absolutely right, capable of match winning saves, and on a regular basis at that. His save against Killie was typical of the guy recently.

Borderhibbie76
08-04-2019, 10:40 AM
I don't think there is much between Rocky and Bogdan but we are very fortunate to have them both that's for sure. Shame we wont be able to keep Bogdan beyond the summer as he will want regular 1st team football...but am sure Hecky can find an able deputy for Rocky next season

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk