PDA

View Full Version : Agyepong

Hibeesmad
21-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Any actual news of when he is expected to be back playing?

PH has mentioned Gauld is due back in a few weeks with his hamstring but haven’t seen anything quoted on Agyepong. I saw him in the car park at the ground before the Elgin game but didn’t have the chance to ask him.

Would love to see him back soon.

Michael
21-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Be surprised if he ever actually plays again. He's just a walking injury.

Billy Whizz
21-02-2019, 07:51 PM

PH has mentioned Gauld is due back in a few weeks with his hamstring but haven’t seen anything quoted on Agyepong. I saw him in the car park at the ground before the Elgin game but didn’t have the chance to ask him.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/pushing-towards-the-back-end-paul-heckingbottom-updates-hibs-fans-on-thomas-agyepong-1-4876645

Brooster
21-02-2019, 07:54 PM
He will come back then break down again. Absolute certainty.

Billy Whizz
21-02-2019, 07:58 PM

Maybe that’s why we’re taking a bit extra time
I’d like to see him back for the run in, offers pace and something different to what we already have

Brooster
21-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Maybe that’s why we’re taking a bit extra time
I’d like to see him back for the run in, offers pace and something different to what we already have

Yes great player but extremely injury prone. We knew that when we signed him and as a result have had virtually no benefit from him in 7 months. Another poor signing.

Hibee Mac
21-02-2019, 08:02 PM
Hope we've learned our lesson on this one, they guy's record was a train wreck of injury's and we still took him on loan, big mistake. Definition of a waste of a wage if I've ever seen one.

Hi Heid Yin
21-02-2019, 08:03 PM

2 weeks! :greengrin

Eyrie
21-02-2019, 08:40 PM
I'm still surprised we didn't return him in the January window. I'd be delighted to have him if he was ever fit.

bingo70
21-02-2019, 08:50 PM
I'm still surprised we didn't return him in the January window. I'd be delighted to have him if he was ever fit.

I’d like to think the fact we’re taking a longer term approach to his recovery will be appreciated and noticed by Man City (and him). He’s obviously never going to make it there but there’s maybe a bigger picture we’re looking at in terms of future loans.

Hibeesmad
21-02-2019, 08:50 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/pushing-towards-the-back-end-paul-heckingbottom-updates-hibs-fans-on-thomas-agyepong-1-4876645

Thanks for sharing. Sounds as if it’s a problem difficult to overcome. As someone else said I’m surprised we never sent him back in January, unless there is a certain clause which says we can’t and/or we feel as if he could benefit us in the split (if he’s back)

Green_one
21-02-2019, 08:51 PM
Bit of an overall disaster with Boyle out, Gauld missing for a while and a long return date for Agyepong

Frankly I think this guy was always a big risk and has clearly been a long term casualty for months.

I have doubts about ever seeing him at ER. I suspect City will want him to take a protected approach :confused:

Eyrie
21-02-2019, 08:57 PM
I’d like to think the fact we’re taking a longer term approach to his recovery will be appreciated and noticed by Man City (and him). He’s obviously never going to make it there but there’s maybe a bigger picture we’re looking at in terms of future loans.

I'm sure we'll give him the best care we can, but Man City could look after his recovery and long term fitness far better than we ever could.

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2019, 09:04 PM
He has been training.

Keith_M
21-02-2019, 09:06 PM

People called Heckingbottom should be banned from using phrases like "pushing towards the back end"

:wink:

Tyler Durden
21-02-2019, 09:26 PM

“We will make sure he is happy that he is at a level he needs to be at before we try to get him back on the pitch or at least consider him for a place on the pitch.”

Seems to be the key quote here. Not necessarily a reflection on Agyepong’s character, maybe just a mental block given the number of prior injuries. He could be a massive player for us if he could put 10 games together fit.

Hibbyradge
21-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Who was that player who recently scored for Crystal Palace on his first game back after being out injured for 2 years?

Keyser Sauzee
21-02-2019, 10:29 PM
Who was that player who recently scored for Crystal Palace on his first game back after being out injured for 2 years?

Connor Wickham

calumhibee1
25-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Hecky says he hopes he can get back fit before the end of the season however games are running out for him. Keeps breaking down in his rehab from the sounds of things.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-manager-reveals-hopes-for-thomas-agyepong-and-gives-david-gray-fitness-update-1-4894821

sauzee=legend
25-03-2019, 08:37 AM
If the chance of keeping him next season was available...
Do we risk it with his injury record?
Or do we look elsewhere for a pacy tricky winger?
Boyle, Horgan and TomTom would be a good selection to choose from.

04Sauzee
25-03-2019, 08:45 AM

Brandon Barker out of contract soon I think and 22 years of age, won't get a contract with Man City

Not that I think we would get him

calumhibee1
25-03-2019, 08:47 AM

Absolutely no chance imo.

Smartie
25-03-2019, 08:53 AM
I think he's Antti Niemi.

neil7908
25-03-2019, 09:13 AM

He might be a wonderful player but no way we can afford to pay wages for a guy who is likely to be injured all season.

Unless Man City give us a great deal or we have a very high level of confidence that he's over his injury issues no way should he be back at ER next year.

Harsh but we are light in the wide areas at the moment and it shows. We as a club just don't have the resources to sign someone that will only play a handful of games.

Brightside
25-03-2019, 09:15 AM

He wont be here next season.

Heisenberg
25-03-2019, 09:18 AM

No chance would I want Hibs to risk signing him. He’s been a complete waste of a wage.

CapitalGreen
25-03-2019, 10:02 AM
No chance would I want Hibs to risk signing him. He’s been a complete waste of a wage.

A wage we aren't paying.

Sir David Gray
25-03-2019, 10:16 AM

What's the point of signing someone who's hardly played all season and we have no guarantees that he's going to be fit any time soon?

I feel sorry for him as he seems from his initial interviews that he gave that he's got a good attitude and from the little I've seen of him on the park he does look like a talented player but we can't afford to have him sitting in the stand for months and then play a couple of games and then get injured again.

It's a no from me but I do wish him all the best as I bet no-one's as frustrated as him and like I said he seems to have a good, positive attitude.

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 10:18 AM
A wage we aren't paying.

Why would we not be paying for him?

MWHIBBIES
25-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Why would we not be paying for him?

Because he's on loan, him playing and developing helps city as well. I doubt we're paying more than a small % of his wage.

Big_Franck
25-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Brandon Barker out of contract soon I think and 22 years of age, won't get a contract with Man City

Not that I think we would get him

Barker has a contract at Man City until June 2020 (https://www.mancity.com/news/first%20team/first%20team%20news/2015/august/brandon%20barker%20signs%20new%205%20year%20deal).

If he isn't getting much of a game at Preston, I think we'd be in with a chance of getting him back on loan this summer. He was linked with Sevco last summer but if he has failed in the Championship I doubt Gerrard will be too keen on him.

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Because he's on loan, him playing and developing helps city as well. I doubt we're paying more than a small % of his wage.

Fair enough.

Smartie
25-03-2019, 10:43 AM
It's not even so much about the money but about the expectation of him playing.

We've signed him with an expectation that he'd contribute, and he's contributed next to nothing.

It's not his fault, but we can't have players loitering around whilst we spend the entire time wondering if they're ever going to be fit. Our squad has lacked options out wide all season, our squad has lacked pace for much of the season, these are attributes he was signed with the expectation of providing.

You'd be much better off with an inferior player but who could be relied upon to be there every week.

I really like the lad but he's been a hopeless signing and I don't think anyone will ever get more than a game or two at a time out of him between injuries.

Money is always a consideration but we need players who are going to contribute in the playing sense.

calumhibee1
25-03-2019, 10:58 AM
What's the point of signing someone who's hardly played all season and we have no guarantees that he's going to be fit any time soon?

I feel sorry for him as he seems from his initial interviews that he gave that he's got a good attitude and from the little I've seen of him on the park he does look like a talented player but we can't afford to have him sitting in the stand for months and then play a couple of games and then get injured again.

It's a no from me but I do wish him all the best as I bet no-one's as frustrated as him and like I said he seems to have a good, positive attitude.

Likewise. An utter disaster of a signing but his attitude when on the pitch and interviews has seemed good. I’d like to think he’s done all he can to get back on the pitch but who knows.

Good luck to the guy but I reckon he’ll be hanging up his boots in the near future at this rate.

H18S NX
25-03-2019, 12:13 PM
I think he's Antti Niemi....I see what you did there..:aok::top marks

EdinMike
25-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Scottish ?! 😅

ekhibee
25-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Of the 2 I preferred Barker to Agyepong, because even though Barker had a spell when he was injured we did get quite a few games out of him and he was good to watch too. What I've seen of Agyepong, he looked quite decent to start with then he was injured and that was it. Don't really see why we've still got him, unless we're just trying to impress Man City with our care/consideration to one of their players who is consistently injured.

horseflesh
25-03-2019, 07:16 PM

That small percentage of his wage is still likely to be higher than a lot of our first team players wages

04Sauzee
25-03-2019, 07:20 PM
That small percentage of his wage is still likely to be higher than a lot of our first team players wages

If he was taking a big wedge im pretty sure we would have cancelled the loan. I'm pretty sure we aren't contributing to any of his wages whilst he's injured.

Since90+2
25-03-2019, 07:23 PM
If he was taking a big wedge im pretty sure we would have cancelled the loan. I'm pretty sure we aren't contributing to any of his wages whilst he's injured.

Depends on the terms of the loan, we might not be able to cancel it.

Besties Debut
25-03-2019, 07:25 PM
The only positive from this whole thing is that we might have earned some brownie points from man city for the way we have stuck by him. It would be nice if they let us have another young flying winger next season but one who is not a walking sick note

CapitalGreen
25-03-2019, 07:26 PM

Man City typically pay clubs a development fee to take their players on loan.

Since452
25-03-2019, 07:29 PM
The only positive from this whole thing is that we might have earned some brownie points from man city for the way we have stuck by him. It would be nice if they let us have another young flying winger next season but one who is not a walking sick note

Barker too.

truehibernian
25-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Would not touch Agyepong with a bargepole next season. He won't play a lot of football in his career that's for sure. Don't believe this 'keeps breaking down' line that's being pushed (personally). Even young Brandon, who had a poor injury record, made real efforts to play football and especially in big games.

Jim44
25-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Some loan players treat a season with another club as a sort of gap year.

truehibernian
25-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Some loan players treat a season with another club as a sort of gap year.

His last two have been gap years Jim :agree:

hibee316
25-03-2019, 09:30 PM

You might think he won't play again, but I think he Ghana.

MWHIBBIES
25-03-2019, 10:42 PM

No it isn't.

HoboHarry
25-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Ghana no dae that? :greengrin

dp00
26-03-2019, 01:40 PM
I reckon all we will be paying is maybe his accommodation?

While it’s not worked out this season for him , it will surely have strengthened our relationship with Man City , they will be happy there player is being looked after and that should increase our chances of getting another loan from them in the future

Hibs will be well aware of the benefits of keeping Man City impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SChibs
26-03-2019, 05:23 PM
Would not touch Agyepong with a bargepole next season. He won't play a lot of football in his career that's for sure. Don't believe this 'keeps breaking down' line that's being pushed (personally). Even young Brandon, who had a poor injury record, made real efforts to play football and especially in big games.

What makes you doubt he keeps breaking down? From what I've seen of him he's been nothing but enthusiastic and he'll know himself he needs to be on the pitch if he wants to make a career out of football

MWHIBBIES
26-03-2019, 06:47 PM

You believe he is lying about injuries?

highland hibbee
27-03-2019, 05:56 PM

Well obviously Hibs aren’t Russian him back into the team

The 90+2
27-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Well obviously Hibs aren’t Russian him back into the team

No wonder with knees like China.