PDA

View Full Version : Craig Halkett

yerauldda
21-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Both Hibs and Hearts are trying to sign Halkett on a pre-contract from Livi according to the Daily Express/Evening News with competition from England.

Thoughts? Livi's form seems to have tailed away of late but he looked excellent for the first 6 months of the season.

Hibernia&Alba
21-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Is he the centre-back?

The 90+2
21-02-2019, 01:39 PM
He's going to be a class player and similar to the lad Lindsay who Hecky took from Partick.

yerauldda
21-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Is he the centre-back?

Yep.

PatHead
21-02-2019, 02:06 PM
He's going to be a class player and similar to the lad Lindsay who Hecky took from Partick.

Who he?

JimBHibees
21-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Who he?

Liam Lindsay young centre back sold to Barnsley, their form seemed to fall off a cliff since he left.

Diclonius
21-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Not to worry, our record ST sales for three seasons running, unspent player transfer income and the fact that Hearts have a stand to pay for mean that there's no way they'll be beating us to pre-contract agreements any more. Right?

JimBHibees
21-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Not to worry, our record ST sales for three seasons running, unspent player transfer income and the fact that Hearts have a stand to pay for mean that there's no way they'll be beating us to pre-contract agreements any more. Right?

Their investments by a few very wealthy individuals plus the huge monthly foundation of hearts payments may swing it though.

Ozyhibby
21-02-2019, 02:40 PM
There is no chance we outbid Hearts for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seaquest
21-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Can’t get into a bidding war. Make a reasonable offer then he signs or not as the case maybe.

MyJo
21-02-2019, 03:14 PM

1. How do you know what our transfer income has been and that it is unspent?

2. Hearts will throw money at players, even if they can’t afford it, if there is a chance of them getting one up on us. See Chris Hackett, Dylan Bikey and Kyle Lafferty for examples.

3. The last time we were in direct competition with Hearts for a player was last January for Jamie MacLaren. They didn’t beat us then.

Stevie Reid
21-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Media reports that I can see seem to be stating that Hearts are much further along in the process than anyone else.

Have been impressed with him - would rather we signed him than them.

Greencore
21-02-2019, 03:47 PM
Can’t get into a bidding war.

We could and we should.

green day
21-02-2019, 03:52 PM
I imagine he will go down south.

silverhibee
21-02-2019, 04:17 PM
I imagine he will go down south.

More than likely, I see Oldham are front runners to sign Shankland from Ayr.

CMurdoch
21-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Out of contract at the end of the season so a question of offering the best deal to him and his representatives.
Development fee?
Think he is the standard of player we need and a young centre half is on our shopping list for summer.
Has proved himself at our level, know what you will get week in week out.

The aforementioned Liam Lindsay is one we should have brought in but like most of these guys he goes to England for £200k and is either sold on for a fat profit a couple of years later or is fired back up to Scotland to sign for Aberdeen if he is decent or St Mirren or Falkirk if they have been found out. He was their player of the year last season whilst Mallan floundered before arriving back on scottish shores last summer.

Christie & Morgan are another 2 we could have acquired if we had got of our mark b4 Celtic decided to hoover them up.
Jackson Irvine and Byrne are another 2 we could have brought to Easter Road from Ross County.
No point waiting until they are making massive splashes and attracting the old firm or clubs down south.

Tarrahib
21-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Out of contract at the end of the season so a question of offering the best deal to him and his representatives.
Development fee?
Think he is the standard of player we need and a young centre half is on our shopping list for summer.

The aforementioned Liam Lindsay is one we should have brought in but like most of these guys he goes to England for £200k and is either sold on for a fat profit a couple of years later or is fired back up to Scotland to sign for Aberdeen if he is decent or St Mirren or Falkirk if they have been found out. He was their player of the year last season whilst Mallan floundered before arriving back on scottish shores last summer.

Christie & Morgan are another 2 we could have acquired if we had got of our mark b4 Celtic decided to hoover them up.
Jackson Irvine and Byrne are another 2 we could have brought to Easter Road from Ross County.
No point waiting until they are making massive splashes and attracting the old firm or clubs down south.
Liam Bryce wouldn't have wanted to come to Hibs.

DetroitHibs
21-02-2019, 04:49 PM
In the past I'd say we should be able to match any team in Scotland, out with the Old Firm. Unfortunately I've come to accept that we can't compete with Hearts and Aberdeen when it comes to wages and attracting players.

JimBHibees
21-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Development fee?

Of course for all the players you list we should have signed there would have been many more supposed future starts we could have signed who didnt develop on.

CMurdoch
21-02-2019, 07:52 PM
Liam Bryce wouldn't have wanted to come to Hibs.

The problem we had when Boyce started to come through was we were sitting in the Championship so not attractive to players doing well.
By the time he moved there were too many suitors with deeper pockets.

CMurdoch
21-02-2019, 08:06 PM
Of course for all the players you list we should have signed there would have been many more supposed future starts we could have signed who didnt develop on.

It's an art to sign the right players at the right time in their development.
We signed McGinn.
Aberdeen signed Ferguson from Hamilton and McLean from St Mirren
The players are out there but it's difficult to sign up the best prospects.

SquashedFrogg
21-02-2019, 08:10 PM
The problem we had when Boyce started to come through was we were sitting in the Championship so not attractive to players doing well.
By the time he moved there were too many suitors with deeper pockets.

Agreed. But Aberdeen and Hearts were interested too. He wanted to go down South.

SquashedFrogg
21-02-2019, 08:11 PM
We signed McGinn.

We said. Couldn't agree more.

Hibbyradge
21-02-2019, 08:26 PM
The Heck will have his own targets do we might not even be interested in Halkett.

SquashedFrogg
21-02-2019, 08:34 PM
The Heck will have his own targets do we might not even be interested in Halkett.

This is why (in my mind anyway) I'm more intrigued and enthused about next season.

Get his style across and bring in a few of his targets.

Tarrahib
21-02-2019, 08:57 PM
Agreed. But Aberdeen and Hearts were interested too. He wanted to go down South.
Was he not meant to be meeting our manager at that time but didn't turn up as arranged.

Tyler Durden
21-02-2019, 09:30 PM
Halkett might well look at our squad and think he’s a much better chance of starting rather than going to Hearts and moving Berra or Souttar.

I don’t see Hearts making a substantially different offer to us so playing time will be a big factor.

TheGreenMan
21-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Maybe if we show him a PowerPoint presentation that'll swing it?

Fanforlife
21-02-2019, 10:32 PM
Not to worry, our record ST sales for three seasons running, unspent player transfer income and the fact that Hearts have a stand to pay for mean that there's no way they'll be beating us to pre-contract agreements any more. Right?your tounge in cheek comment received a total whoosh moment from at least one dingle on sickbag,topper m8 😂.

Dashing Bob S
22-02-2019, 03:18 AM

The heck he will

JimBHibees
22-02-2019, 07:28 AM
We signed McGinn.

Interesting you choose the players who have been successful most wont have been. I say rather than an art there is a skill in recognising talent that can be developed however many more factors such as attitude of player, mentality being strong and physically and emotionally how do they develop.

Unseen work
22-02-2019, 10:31 AM
He would be a brilliant signing. Him and Porteous would be a brilliant partnership imo and are the exact sort of players we should be recruiting.

As mentioned before we need to start taking the best players from other clubs, I know it’s not worked before with some players to a certain extent with guys like Swanson, Craig etc

But young guys at who have really impressed like Halkett, Cadden, Ryan Hardie, Shaugnessy and Hastie should be on our list.

Some guys like Magennis, Erhahon, Scott Wright, Andrew Nelson, Mickel Miller have showed glimpses of real quality and promise and we should keep an eye on with the view to getting them for cheap imo. Even the return of Matt Kennedy who always impressed me.

I know some folk may look at the list and think not good enough. But I firmly believe we really need to start adding quality and depth to our squad with guys that can come on and make a difference. The amount of times this season we have had a poor bench where you wouldn’t fancy them to come on and make a difference to the game is awful.

Now, are the younger guys better than our current crop? Murray, Gullan, Stirling and Allan? Who knows? But the other guys are gettting s chsnce snd doing well every week. Obviously not included Mackie, Shaw and Porto as I think it’s evdident they’re good enjoy and will be first team players in their own right.

Not all will be successful or work out, but there are some really good young players out there at the moment.