PDA

View Full Version : Players who should have gained more international caps

Hibernia&Alba
21-02-2019, 11:57 AM
How come Jimmy Johnstone only won 23 Scotland caps? Surely on of the best players we've ever produced.

Who else do you feel should have won far more?

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2019, 11:59 AM
How come Jimmy Johnstone only won 23 Scotland caps? Surely on of the best players we've ever produced.

Alex ( Mickey) Edwards

MB62
21-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Pat Stanton, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Alex Cropley.

Hibernia&Alba
21-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Pat Stanton, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Alex Cropley.

Stanton only getting 16 caps is scandalous.

Diclonius
21-02-2019, 12:04 PM
I read more than a few times that Gordon Smith barely got capped because the SFA selectors preferred some inferior Rangers player.

Hibernia&Alba
21-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Billy McNeill only got 29. That's a big surprise.

CRAZYHIBBY
21-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Pat mcginlay

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Derek Riordan only got 3 caps. Should have had way more imo

Hibernia&Alba
21-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Derek Riordan only got 3 caps. Should have had way more imo

Great shout. :agree:

Roxyhibee
21-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Alex Edwards.

One of the most skilful and cleverest midfielders / passers of a ball in British football for several years. Not one full Scottish cap.

Criminal.

Hibernia&Alba
Davie Cooper only got 22 caps. He was tremendous.

BILLYHIBS
Eric Stevenson

Jock Wallace once famously said to him at Shotts on the way to watch Scotland v Italy “ Your heids full of nonesense son! You should be playing tonight!”

Steven79
21-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Craig Brewster should have picked up a few caps.

Wakeyhibee
21-02-2019, 12:16 PM

From a similar era (Hibs ones mentioned above too) but Bobby Lennox 10 caps is a paltry amount too

The 90+2
21-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Duncan Ferguson springs to mind.

Hibernia&Alba
21-02-2019, 12:19 PM
From a similar era (Hibs ones mentioned above too) but Bobby Lennox 10 caps is a paltry amount too

That really is.

What's the reason for these players being overlooked? It's baffling. The likes of Johnstone, Lennox, Cooper were world class players.

Lago
21-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Stanton only getting 16 caps is scandalous.
This

Lago
21-02-2019, 12:22 PM
I read more than a few times that Gordon Smith barely got capped because the SFA selectors preferred some inferior Rangers player.
Absolutely true!!

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Duncan Ferguson springs to mind.

Fell out with the SFA big time over the McStay Affair that led to a prison sentence

KWJ
21-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Fell out with the SFA big time over the McStay Affair that led to a prison sentence

He played after this. Think his last game was the replayed away match in Estonia. Whole game we just punted the ball at him. 0-0 and he thought **** this.

Keith Wright
Paul Hanlon (not this season sadly)
Scott Allan (had he spent his career playing with us)
Kenny Miller (Mark burchill picked ahead of him in early days at Hibs)

Glory Lurker
21-02-2019, 12:42 PM
John Robertson.

Bangkok Hibby
21-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Eric Stevenson and John Brown

lyonhibs
21-02-2019, 12:46 PM
It's worth remembering that, clear Old Firm/Rangers bias aside when it comes to selection, there were - unless I'm mistaken, less international games - both friendlies and in the qualifying process - back in the 60's and 70's.

Smartie
21-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Eric Stevenson and John Brown

Re Brown, it was a bit unusual that a guy who was a mainstay of Rangers' 9 in a row team didn't even manage to get one cap.

He was a good player.

Aldoo
21-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Alan Hansen

Groathillgrump
21-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Never understood how Antti Niemi never got a cap for Scotland. :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvreCDC61Zw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvreCDC61Zw)

The Pointer
21-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Alan Gordon and Donald Ford. The nearest Gordon got was to play for the Rest of the World team against West Germany in Uwe Seeler's testimonial.

I think Ford only got one or two caps despite scoring consistently for Hearts.

PatHead
21-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Alan Hansen

Preferred McLeish and Miller. I will never forgive him for his mistake against Russia.

Groathillgrump
21-02-2019, 01:08 PM
Erich Schaedler should've got more than his one cap.

cmcd
21-02-2019, 01:09 PM
If we are talking about out with the Old Firm All the Famous five .. Pat Stanton..Willie Hamilton..Alex Edwards.. Crops .
ERIC Stevenson ..John Brownlie ..John Blackley.lots of players from provincial clubs also

JimBHibees
21-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Alex Edwards.

One of the most skilful and cleverest midfielders / passers of a ball in British football for several years. Not one full Scottish cap.

Criminal.

Absolute shocker. Totally agree.

Treadstone
21-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Tam Forsyth 22 caps. I wouldn't let him carry the hampers.

Kato
21-02-2019, 01:42 PM

Willie Waddell. There's the story that Waddell was picked over Smith for an International when Smith had been in great form. Remember these were days of the old laced up/bladder balls. Waddell put in a cross from which Lawrie Reilly headed to score and Waddell said to him, "Well done, that cross must have been as good as any that Gordon would have supplied". To which Reilly replied "Gordon would have made sure the laces were facing outward when it reached my head."

Jonnyboy
21-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Willie Waddell. There's the story that Waddell was picked over Smith for an International when Smith had been in great form. Remember these were days of the old laced up/bladder balls. Waddell put in a cross from which Lawrie Reilly headed to score and Waddell said to him, "Well done, that cross must have been as good as any that Gordon would have supplied". To which Reilly replied "Gordon would have made sure the laces were facing outward when it reached my head."

That’s a brilliant story ✅✅

I’ll add Jimmy O’Rourke to the list.

jgl07
21-02-2019, 02:10 PM
Alan Hansen

Wasn't he a perennial 'sicknote' who would develop a mystery 'injury' prior to international matches and then be perfectly fit a week later?

This was an occupational hazard with many of the Liverpool Scots with some notable exceptions such as Kenny Dalglish.

SJNB Hibby
21-02-2019, 02:21 PM
It's worth remembering that, clear Old Firm/Rangers bias aside when it comes to selection, there were - unless I'm mistaken, less international games - both friendlies and in the qualifying process - back in the 60's and 70's.

Incredible to think that we had qualified for the '74 WC after only 3 qualifying games, the 4th match against the Czechs was a dead rubber.
So 4-6 qualifying matches every 2 years, plus the Home Internationals was it, plus the occasional friendly. An all through the 60's we didnt qulaify for ANY tournaments, so part of the issue for some guys was just the lack of Internationals

belhavenbill
21-02-2019, 02:42 PM
If we are talking about out with the Old Firm All the Famous five .. Pat Stanton..Willie Hamilton..Alex Edwards.. Crops .
ERIC Stevenson ..John Brownlie ..John Blackley.lots of players from provincial clubs also Totally agree. Criminal that likes of Willie Hamilton, Pat Quinn, Jim Scott even Neil Martin were regularly overlooked. I am a great admirer of Lewis but he has more caps now than some great players. All to do with number if fixtures and influx of foreign players into Scottish game. In the sixties most teams were made up of Scottish players.

Famous Fiver
21-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Willie Hamilton.

Slavers
21-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Kevin Harper

heretoday
21-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Edwards

heidtheba
21-02-2019, 03:40 PM
From my era - Darren Jackson and Kevin Harper. Didn't Harper get a hat-trick on either a Scotland B or a U21 match? I know DJ got caps but he was a superb player, especially around 95/96/97.

G B Young
21-02-2019, 04:14 PM
It's tricky to compare different eras. When the likes of Gordon Smith and Pat Stanton were playing Scotland was awash with terrific footballers, with numerous players of not dissimilar ability vying for places. For the last 20 years or so, though, there have been some very average players who have racked up caps simply due to the fact the pool of talent is limited.

G B Young
21-02-2019, 04:16 PM
From my era - Darren Jackson and Kevin Harper. Didn't Harper get a hat-trick on either a Scotland B or a U21 match? I know DJ got caps but he was a superb player, especially around 95/96/97.

Darren was great for Hibs and a talented player for sure, but for him to have won more caps than Gordon Smith and Pat Stanton sums up how Scottish football had declined. I'd say 28 caps flattered Darren.

ancient hibee
21-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Until his last few caps Gordon Smith didn’t take his club form to international games.A pity because he really was a wonderful player.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2019, 04:27 PM
He played after this. Think his last game was the replayed away match in Estonia. Whole game we just punted the ball at him. 0-0 and he thought **** this.

Keith Wright

Duncan Ferguson asked not to be selected for Scotland after the Estonia 0-0 game in February 1997 in protest for the three month prison sentence and 12 game ban imposed by the SFA

He only obtained 7 Scotland caps and retired from football in 2006

Hibernia&Alba
21-02-2019, 05:02 PM
It's tricky to compare different eras. When the likes of Gordon Smith and Pat Stanton were playing Scotland was awash with terrific footballers, with numerous players of not dissimilar ability vying for places. For the last 20 years or so, though, there have been some very average players who have racked up caps simply due to the fact the pool of talent is limited.

True, but 10 caps for a player like Bobby Lennox, who had a fifteen year career? It's astonishing.

beensaidbefore
21-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Keith Wright

Keith Wright would have been my shout too. Only 1 cap!

heidtheba
21-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Darren was great for Hibs and a talented player for sure, but for him to have won more caps than Gordon Smith and Pat Stanton sums up how Scottish football had declined. I'd say 28 caps flattered Darren.

That's a good point. Mind you, I look at the Scotland squad now and can hardly name any of them... It's managed to get worse!

lapsedhibee
21-02-2019, 05:18 PM

:greengrin

telford hibbee
21-02-2019, 05:49 PM
That really is.

What's the reason for these players being overlooked? It's baffling. The likes of Johnstone, Lennox, Cooper were world class players.
Although I thought he was the better player was he not competing with Willie Henderson at the time. Also Jimmy Johnstone didn't like flying and that may have curtailed his availability.

PatHead
21-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Although I thought he was the better player was he not competing with Willie Henderson at the time. Also Jimmy Johnstone didn't like flying and that may have curtailed his availability.

There was no competition between Johnstone and Henderson. Johnstone was by far the best.

As mentioned above he did not like flying and wouldn't have helped himself with his wee sailing episode.

brog
21-02-2019, 06:04 PM
I give you Des Bremner. I cap, as a sub for Kenny Dalglish. Never capped while with Villa despite winning European Cup with them.

Greentinted
21-02-2019, 06:07 PM
The Man Who Hearts Let Down - Willie Bauld 3 caps???

Frazerbob
21-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Robbie Stockdale

brog
21-02-2019, 06:10 PM
To show some impartiality, the Hearts Terrible Trio of Conn, Bauld & Wardhaugh only earned 6 caps in total. Every member of the Famous 5 gained at least 6! Alex Young, The Golden Vision only earned 8 caps but scored 5 goals.

ancient hibee
21-02-2019, 06:13 PM
The Man Who Hearts Let Down - Willie Bauld 3 caps???
Never forgiven by the SFA for hitting the bar against England in 1950.Scotland could have gone to the World Cup finals but would only agree to go(!!!)if we won the Home Internationals Championship.We didn't probably due to Bauld's miss.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Just read that the caps total of the Lisbon Lions was 114. That seems remarkably low for a team that acheived what they did, 1 European Cup, 1 lost final and two lost semi finals in a few years. Bobby Murdoch only had 12 caps to his name, Tommy Gemmell 18.

For Hibs, in my time Stanton should have had more, same with Shades and Des Bremner. Shades was uo against Sandy Jardine, a fine footballer- but being played on the left when right footed. More recently, I thought John Collins was ready for Scotland before he was finally capped and Riordan and O’Connor should have been played together.

Before my time in terms of remembering games, but Scotland in the 60’s were blessed with tremendous footballing talent. Law and Baxter were world class by any standard and the back up cast was pretty awesome. Yet there seemed to be no consistency of selection. It’s also true to say that there fewer games. Not sure how valid a comparison this is, but Lawrie Reilly had a 7 year stint in the national side, first pick and rarely injured. He won 38 caps ( no world cup or European Nations qualifiers though)

Jonnyboy
21-02-2019, 06:48 PM
I give you Des Bremner. I cap, as a sub for Kenny Dalglish. Never capped while with Villa despite winning European Cup with them.

One of my all time favourite Hibs players, B :agree:

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2019, 06:51 PM

We did not realise how good until he left

Big gaps started to appear all over the pitch where he would have been mopping up in his sweat covered strip

Legend!

:not worth

Jonnyboy
21-02-2019, 07:13 PM
We did not realise how good until he left

Big gaps started to appear all over the pitch where he would have been mopping up in his sweat covered strip

Legend!

:agree:

stu in nottingham
21-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Some very worthy names indeed on here. I'll offer another one.

Double European Cup-winning Nottingham Forest captain, John McGovern.

John wasn't a particularly fluent-looking player indeed he was a little ungainly, what he did have though was courage in spades and a calmness in the heat of battle matched by few. He broke opposition plays up constantly and was always available to take a pass from a teammate under pressure. He was the 'glue' and his omission from any side was always immediately apparent. Graeme Souness said that McGovern was his most difficult opponent - high praise when you consider the level of player Souness has played against home and abroad. He would say that he just couldn't shake John off no matter what he did - he was always there, snapping at his heels.

John was also a highly patriotic Scot. He once said that he would have walked to Scotland just to gain a single cap. I took that as more than just a platitude too. He was also the victim of a particularly ridiculous incident in that Scotland manager, Ally MacLeod disclosed that he hadn't considered him for selection as he didn't realise he was Scottish!

It's undeniable that the Scottish national team had some very talented midfielders in John McGovern's day, players such as Souness, Gemmill, Rioch, Hartford, Macari, Masson and so on. I do feel that the Scotland side would have been served well by John in amongst some of those excellent players though. It's pretty much a sin that he was never afforded one single cap for his country.

worcesterhibby
21-02-2019, 07:16 PM
John McGovern - Captained Nottingham Forest to Two European Cups, European Super Cup, English Top Div title, 2 x league cups, Anglo-Scottish Cup and FA Charity Shield.

Never got a single Cap !!!!

Can you imagine if Scotland had the captain of an English premiership winning side who won 2 European Cups and all the rest and couldn't get in the Scotland Team !!!

If anyone can beat that, I'll eat my pants.

(EDIT) Looks like Stu above beat me to it by a few seconds !!

stu in nottingham
21-02-2019, 07:28 PM
John McGovern - Captained Nottingham Forest to Two European Cups, European Super Cup, English Top Div title, 2 x league cups, Anglo-Scottish Cup and FA Charity Shield.

Never got a single Cap !!!!

Can you imagine if Scotland had the captain of an English premiership winning side who won 2 European Cups and all the rest and couldn't get in the Scotland Team !!!

If anyone can beat that, I'll eat my pants.

(EDIT) Looks like Stu above beat me to it by a few seconds !!

Haha great coincidence! I think John never looked back after Cloughy greeted him for the first time and told him to 'stand up straight, put your shoulders back and get your hair cut because you look like a girl'.

brog
21-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Mine too John. He's a legend at Villa.

Lancs Harp
21-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Tony Green robbed by injury would have been a superstar (still is in the eyes of Blackpool and Newcastle fans)

Wakeyhibee
21-02-2019, 09:11 PM
When you look at Laws cap record of 54 (IIRC) which stood until Dalglish took over, then caps were much fewer probably half today's.

Stanton, Johnstone, Lennox and the rest still way under what you'd expect if you doubled it.

monktonharp
21-02-2019, 09:25 PM
Pat Stanton, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Alex Cropley.all of the above, and of course Alex Edwards. In fact, the whole of the Hibs team at Turnbull's time! don't forget O'Rourke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sambajustice
21-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Stevie Crawford

Del Boy
21-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Ralph Milne

Malthibby
21-02-2019, 10:07 PM
ERIC Stevenson ..John Brownlie ..John Blackley. lots of players from provincial clubs also

Yup, & that's just the Hibees, Scottish squads were full of folk who played for the 'right' team(s) for decades. Sauzee & Boozy as well, just because they were French was no excuse.
And McGrain better than Brownlie (until he broke his leg)? I don't think so.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2019, 10:22 PM
Yup, & that's just the Hibees, Scottish squads were full of folk who played for the 'right' team(s) for decades. Sauzee & Boozy as well, just because they were French was no excuse.
And McGrain better than Brownlie (until he broke his leg)? I don't think so.

:confused:
Lots of good players from provincial clubs were excluded

It used to be the Rangers defence and the Celtic attack

Being French excludes you

Agree Brownlie was better than McGrain until he broke his leg

HappyAsHellas
21-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Bobby Duncan

sadtom
21-02-2019, 10:43 PM
There are 2 main reasons there are some top players from the 50's to 80's with a measly return in caps.
Less internationals played.
A lot more, and better, competition for places.

If Andy Murray was unfortunate to play Tennis in an era with 3 of the best ever. Then similar could be said for John Brownlie in terms of being right back for Scotland. Competing against 2 players in McGrain and Jardine who are both usually in top 5 players ever for the respective 2 biggest clubs in the land.

Much as I was a big fan of Keith Wright as a club player. 1 international cap was just about on the generous side of correct.
There is a mythology that surrounds the likes of Davie Cooper. Really talented but hugely inconsistent. I remember sticky buns moaning they'd be lucky to get 1 good game in 3. I reckon his tally is about right too.

For me our truly international class player was Stanton...there just aren't enough caps available.

For the good of Scottish football, the only 'cap' associated with Tam Forsyth would be the Dutch cap his maw should have been wearing when he was conceived.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2019, 11:04 PM
There are 2 main reasons there are some top players from the 50's to 80's with a measly return in caps.
Less internationals played.
A lot more, and better, competition for places.

If Andy Murray was unfortunate to play Tennis in an era with 3 of the best ever. Then similar could be said for John Brownlie in terms of being right back for Scotland. Competing against 2 players in McGrain and Jardine who are both usually in top 5 players ever for the respective 2 biggest clubs in the land.

Much as I was a big fan of Keith Wright as a club player. 1 international cap was just about on the generous side of correct.
There is a mythology that surrounds the likes of Davie Cooper. Really talented but hugely inconsistent. I remember sticky buns moaning they'd be lucky to get 1 good game in 3. I reckon his tally is about right too.

For me our truly international class player was Stanton...there just aren't enough caps available.

For the good of Scottish football, the only 'cap' associated with Tam Forsyth would be the Dutch cap his maw should have been wearing when he was conceived.

A bit harsh on Davie Cooper

662 games for Clydebank Rangers and Motherwell 95 goals

22 games for Scotland 6 goals

3 SPL titles

1 second division title

4 Scottish Cups

7 League Cups

Inducted into SFA Hall of Fame

Scored the high pressure penalty at Cardiff

Scored in the play offs versus Australia

A brilliant gifted winger with a wand of a left foot

An absolutely brilliant player I remember the free kick he scored versus Jim Leighton at Hampden and his brilliant individual goal versus Celtic where he played keepie uppie and walked the ball into the net

No I am not a Hun

I am Billyhibs and I know a brilliant player when I see one

monktonharp
21-02-2019, 11:05 PM
For the good of Scottish football, the only 'cap' associated with Tam Forsyth would be the Dutch cap his maw should have been wearing when he was conceived.:not worth

Hibrandenburg
22-02-2019, 08:09 AM
Ally McLeod. 99 goals for Hibs in a little more than 200 appearances. Waltz through defences with the elegance of a charging drunken hippo and could hit a decent free kick. Played for Hibs at a time where the name of the game was defence but he had the skills to open up defences with the ball sticking to his feet like they were magnets. My all time favourite Hibs player.

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Ally McLeod. 99 goals for Hibs in a little more than 200 appearances. Waltz through defences with the elegance of a charging drunken hippo and could hit a decent free kick. Played for Hibs at a time where the name of the game was defence but he had the skills to open up defences with the ball sticking to his feet like they were magnets. My all time favourite Hibs player.

Agree brilliant intelligent player

He was deceptive he was slower than he looked :greengrin

Found this article published in the Scotsman 21st May 2016

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/scottish-cup/interview-hibs-hero-ally-macleod-on-the-final-that-got-away-1-4134028

I did not realise that he missed a penalty in the second replay versus t Hun when the score was 2-2 :confused:

Hibrandenburg
22-02-2019, 08:33 AM

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/scottish-cup/interview-hibs-hero-ally-macleod-on-the-final-that-got-away-1-4134028

I did not realise that he missed a penalty in the second replay versus t Hun when the score was 2-2 :confused:

Great read, thanks for the link.

CropleyWasGod
22-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Pretty sure that's wrong

Peevemor
22-02-2019, 09:04 AM

My favourite player along with Jackie Mac when I started atttending matches.

I'll never forget the retaken free kick against Dundee at ER - scored both times, top right then bottom left.

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Pretty sure that's wrong

Agree! Must have misread the link

Pretty sure he scored one

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Pretty sure that's wrong

Link to match report no mention of a missed pen

No idea what “Super Ally” is on about?

There was a rearranged League game played on 31/5/79 that HIBS won 2-1 at Easter Road :confused:

https://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2016/05/rangers-3-2-hibernian-scottish-cup-final-1979

Kato
22-02-2019, 11:19 AM
A bit harsh on Davie Cooper

662 games for Clydebank Rangers and Motherwell 95 goals

22 games for Scotland 6 goals

3 SPL titles

1 second division title

4 Scottish Cups

7 League Cups

Inducted into SFA Hall of Fame

Scored the high pressure penalty at Cardiff

Scored in the play offs versus Australia

A brilliant gifted winger with a wand of a left foot

An absolutely brilliant player I remember the free kick he scored versus Jim Leighton at Hampden and his brilliant individual goal versus Celtic where he played keepie uppie and walked the ball into the net

No I am not a Hun

I am Billyhibs and I know a brilliant player when I see one

He was a great player and one I always looked forward to watching when he played against us. He did however have some stinking games for Scotland.

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2019, 11:33 AM
He was a great player and one I always looked forward to watching when he played against us. He did however have some stinking games for Scotland.

Agree the two I mentioned stand out for me

I was at Cardiff that night tension was immense

World Cup play off versus the Aussies

Genius of a player though when on form

1:6 goals no bad for a winger

greenpaper55
22-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Am i right in thinking that back in the day there used to be a selection committee who chose the players then the manager just had to get on with it !

Kato
22-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Am i right in thinking that back in the day there used to be a selection committee who chose the players then the manager just had to get on with it !

They didn't even have a manager, just a coach. Players would decide tactics.

In Eddie Turnbull's book he explains how he ran afoul of one the selection committee, telling him he didn't know anything about football. The blazer told Turnbull he'd never play for Scotland again while he had a say and it wasn't until the committee man died that Eddie got another cap, a break of something like ten years.

Hibernia&Alba
22-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Some very worthy names indeed on here. I'll offer another one.

Double European Cup-winning Nottingham Forest captain, John McGovern.

John wasn't a particularly fluent-looking player indeed he was a little ungainly, what he did have though was courage in spades and a calmness in the heat of battle matched by few. He broke opposition plays up constantly and was always available to take a pass from a teammate under pressure. He was the 'glue' and his omission from any side was always immediately apparent. Graeme Souness said that McGovern was his most difficult opponent - high praise when you consider the level of player Souness has played against home and abroad. He would say that he just couldn't shake John off no matter what he did - he was always there, snapping at his heels.

John was also a highly patriotic Scot. He once said that he would have walked to Scotland just to gain a single cap. I took that as more than just a platitude too. He was also the victim of a particularly ridiculous incident in that Scotland manager, Ally MacLeod disclosed that he hadn't considered him for selection as he didn't realise he was Scottish!

It's undeniable that the Scottish national team had some very talented midfielders in John McGovern's day, players such as Souness, Gemmill, Rioch, Hartford, Macari, Masson and so on. I do feel that the Scotland side would have been served well by John in amongst some of those excellent players though. It's pretty much a sin that he was never afforded one single cap for his country.

Superb shout. Never being given a chance, in even in a friendly, seems very harsh.