PDA

View Full Version : Films that mess with your head

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Watched the 1st half of Inception and my head is suitably scrambled so far! 😜

Dalianwanda
19-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Dogtooth was the last time I saw a movie that scrambled my head...

I used to live above an art house type cinema in Dublin...Head in on a Sunday with a hangover and regularly come out welling up or freaked out.

Future17
19-02-2019, 07:42 PM

Was the first film I thought of when I read the thread title. Great film to watch back again when you've wrapped your head around it.

Wembley67
19-02-2019, 08:45 PM
I count myself as an intelligent chap but for some reason Departed really messes with my head! Maybe it's because Di Caprio and Damon look similar? That's all I can think of...ok maybe I am more stupid than I thought 😁

s.a.m
19-02-2019, 09:14 PM
I once watched a film in the Cameo which starred Bjork, and I can't remember what it was called. Basically, she's accused of a crime (which I don't think she committed, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember) and she's hanged for it. Which you see. For the second half of the film, when it was clear it as going horribly wrong for her, I was composing shopping lists in my head, practising French verb tables, playing i-spy...basically forcing myself not to leave because I felt like a wuss. I wish I'd left, because, for me, it was the single most disturbing cinema experience I'd ever had. And I was unhappy for days.:eek:

Jones28
19-02-2019, 09:48 PM

Inception is class. If you're only half way through it's about to get more confusing.

The Modfather
19-02-2019, 09:49 PM
I watched a horror film with Willem Dafoe in it, without knowing it was a Lars Von Trier film, Antichrist. I had to turn it off as it was too graphic for me. There’s a scene where he is either drugged or tied up and his wife gets him hard and hits his little one with a hammer, you see the whole thing and blood coming out the end of his little one. I was genuinely distressed and turned it off there and then and won’t watch another Lara Von Trier film again.

CropleyWasGod
19-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Inland Empires by David Lynch. 😳

Captain Trips
19-02-2019, 09:52 PM
I found inception to be up its own arse trying to be smart.

The Modfather
19-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Inland Empires by David Lynch. 😳

Speaking of David Lynch. Blue Velvet is another film that was as much bizarre as it was creepy.

Captain Trips
19-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Videodrome is nuts.

CropleyWasGod
19-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Speaking of David Lynch. Blue Velvet is another film that was as much bizarre as it was creepy.

I loved that. It's what got me into DL.

So.... what you trying to say about me? 🤪

Frazerbob
19-02-2019, 10:48 PM
The Game was a bit ****ed up first time you watched it.

Smartie
19-02-2019, 11:41 PM
Vanilla Sky was strange.

Very good indeed the second time you watch it.

wpj
20-02-2019, 12:27 AM

Eraserhead freaked me out

Haymaker
20-02-2019, 02:03 AM
I count myself as an intelligent chap but for some reason Departed really messes with my head! Maybe it's because Di Caprio and Damon look similar? That's all I can think of...ok maybe I am more stupid than I thought 😁

I had to watch it twice

s.a.m
20-02-2019, 07:10 AM
I once watched a film in the Cameo which starred Bjork, and I can't remember what it was called. Basically, she's accused of a crime (which I don't think she committed, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember) and she's hanged for it. Which you see. For the second half of the film, when it was clear it as going horribly wrong for her, I was composing shopping lists in my head, practising French verb tables, playing i-spy...basically forcing myself not to leave because I felt like a wuss. I wish I'd left, because, for me, it was the single most disturbing cinema experience I'd ever had. And I was unhappy for days.:eek:

I watched a horror film with Willem Dafoe in it, without knowing it was a Lars Von Trier film, Antichrist. I had to turn it off as it was too graphic for me. There’s a scene where he is either drugged or tied up and his wife gets him hard and hits his little one with a hammer, you see the whole thing and blood coming out the end of his little one. I was genuinely distressed and turned it off there and then and won’t watch another Lara Von Trier film again.

:aok: Bingo. That rang a bell, andI just looked up the film that freaked me out...and it's a Lars von Trier film. 'Dancer in the Dark', should you ever relent, and feel an overpowering urge to be painfully unhappy.

Jones28
20-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Black Mirror Bandersnatch is a proper mind**** as well.

J-C
20-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Yep Inception makes you really think, Donnie Darko is another that makes you wonder what the hell was that all about.

I'll add Memento, Matrix Revolutions, Fight club, The Butterfly Effect, Shutter Island.

.Sean.
20-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Shutter Island

Ive also watched Black Swan three times and I still don’t understand it!

lyonhibs
20-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. They should just rename it "Tinker Tailor Soldier Confused"

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. They should just rename it "Tinker Tailor Soldier Confused"

Really? :greengrin

I thought it was a watered-down version of the TV series, which in itself was a watered-down version of the book.

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Pokemon.

Now there's a head-****. I fell asleep during it and woke up thinking I was in the middle of a bad acid trip......

Allant1981
20-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Black Mirror Bandersnatch is a proper mind**** as well.

I was getting ratty with that film half way through!!

Moulin Yarns
20-02-2019, 09:14 PM
Under the skin gets under my skin.

MSK
22-02-2019, 07:54 AM
Misery with Cathy Bates and James Caan

Cannae watch a Chucky film on my own, the little ****er freaks me out 🤬

SRHibs
22-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Memento. Absolutely brilliant film too.

SRHibs
22-02-2019, 09:35 AM

Lars Von Trier’s films are great. Melancholia is a good watch, and definitely one that messes with my head - not because of gore/graphic content.

Mantis Toboggan
22-02-2019, 10:53 AM
For total confusion, Primer. Makes Inception, which is also quite complicated, seem like a Carry On film in comparison. I still dont think I understand it properly.

For extreme brutality, Martyrs is probably the worst I have seen, although similar to some of the Von Triers horror stuff.

ZAGREB RED
22-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Memento. Absolutely brilliant film too.
Came on to post that, can't think of another film that is even close to being so confusing - in such a good way - no matter how many times you watch it.
Jacob's Ladder, first time round. I think a remake is in the pipeline.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-02-2019, 11:50 AM
Jacob's Ladder, first time round.

Magnificent film 👏

Peevemor
22-02-2019, 11:59 AM
The Twisted Nerve, a late 60s British film starring Hywel Bennett. I haven't seen it in years but I remember it really spooked me at the time.

I first seen The Exorcist on video at a pal's house when I was about 13-14. I remember it being dark when I left to go home - I sprinted all the way!

StevesFamau5
22-02-2019, 03:02 PM
A Serbian Film..... quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have ever witnessed. Could only stomach about half an hour of it but enough was enough...

Genuinely caused me massive fear and anxiety for a long time. Not for the faint hearted.

ZAGREB RED
22-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Magnificent film ��
It is, found it really hard to work out what was going on, even at the end I had to have a little think before it sank in.
Remake coming later this year -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob%27s_Ladder_(2019_film)

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-02-2019, 04:02 PM
It is, found it really hard to work out what was going on, even at the end I had to have a little think before it sank in.
Remake coming later this year -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob%27s_Ladder_(2019_film)

Nae remakes for me, films or tv series, eh no thanks! 🙄

Dinkydoo
22-02-2019, 04:10 PM
I watched a horror film with Willem Dafoe in it, without knowing it was a Lars Von Trier film, Antichrist. I had to turn it off as it was too graphic for me. There’s a scene where he is either drugged or tied up and his wife gets him hard and hits his little one with a hammer, you see the whole thing and blood coming out the end of his little one. I was genuinely distressed and turned it off there and then and won’t watch another Lara Von Trier film again.Oddly enough, the scene with the fox for me was the most disturbing of the film.

This was back in my late teen stoner days so admitedly, my confused state of mind probably had something to do with me being terrified for a second, when the fox leaps up unnaturally.

* The linkes scene isn't really graphic or anything, for anyone wondering

https://youtu.be/4L2ooG_MX9E

Pretty Boy
22-02-2019, 04:11 PM
A Serbian Film..... quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have ever witnessed. Could only stomach about half an hour of it but enough was enough...

Genuinely caused me massive fear and anxiety for a long time. Not for the faint hearted.

A total WTF film.

There really are no words that can do it justice.

Keyser Sauzee
28-02-2019, 09:39 PM
Mullholland Drive, watched it years ago and can remember thinking wtf it was actually about.

hibs#1
01-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Vanilla Sky was strange.

Very good indeed the second time you watch it.

I've only watched this once all I can remember is being confused as hell with it. Might give it an other go again.

bingo70
02-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Not sure it counts as a strange film or even a WTF film but I remember the first time I watched the deer hunter I found myself getting more emotional than I’ve ever been at a film. I still think about it sometimes and think ‘wow, that was ****ing mad’

Not seen it for years and not sure I want to watch it again in case it doesn’t live up to how I remember it.

heretoday
02-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Mullholland Drive, watched it years ago and can remember thinking wtf it was actually about.

It's David Lynch. You're not supposed to understand it. Just sit back and enjoy the weirdness and intensity.

.Sean.
04-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Serenity. What the actual ****

Fuzzywuzzy
17-03-2019, 06:56 PM
I've had Jacob's Ladder explained to me several times and I still can't get me head around it

overdrive
17-03-2019, 10:31 PM
A total WTF film.

There really are no words that can do it justice.

I’ve just read the Wikipedia entry for that film. WTF is all I can say.

Haymaker
18-03-2019, 02:29 AM
I’ve just read the Wikipedia entry for that film. WTF is all I can say.

Who even thought it was a story worthy of filming?!

overdrive
18-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Who even thought it was a story worthy of filming?!

Or even conceived the idea of it all? I’d be suspicious of the writer’s intentions.

WeeRussell
19-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Shutter Island

Ive also watched Black Swan three times and I still don’t understand it!

Di Caprio's radge and a prisoner on the island. Some have tried to argue with me that it's not conclusive and he might actually still be a sane detective... that's not the case.

Great film. Especially first time round.

WeeRussell
19-03-2019, 11:38 AM

haha my folks are exactly the same - I think they gave up as they couldn't tell the difference. I laugh at them (the same way I'm laughing at you) as they are two of the most famous actors going about and do not look alike :greengrin

Only the second time I've heard of that being an issue but clearly it is a legitimate one.

Mixu62
20-03-2019, 04:39 AM
The Usual Suspects - or the final 5-10 minutes of it. Won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Henry, portrait of a serial killer. Couldn't finish it.

MagicSwirlingShip
20-03-2019, 05:12 AM
Anyone who hasn't checked out Arrival, I'd strongly advise checking it out.

The last film that had me truly blown away.

The Modfather
20-03-2019, 06:32 AM
Interstellar

Pete
20-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Any of these animated films, supposedly for kids, that have bits where you're almost brought to tears.

You think "what the f is wrong with me? My bairn is coping ok. Am I mentally ok?"

That is until you realise that the filmmakers aren't stupid and they insert these bits deliberately. Still, it's a bit of a head-****.

Killiehibbie
20-03-2019, 10:14 AM
The Usual Suspects - or the final 5-10 minutes of it. Won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Spent a long time in the censors office. I wouldn't like to see the uncut version.

WeeRussell
20-03-2019, 11:35 AM

Absolutely terrific. :agree:

DH1875
23-03-2019, 08:49 PM
A star is born. But not in a good way :boo hoo:.

.Sean.
23-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Interstellar
X100. What the actual ****. Mind bending stuff

Excellent film tho

Mibbes Aye
23-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Solaris was good but pretty heavy going. The American remake was a bit glossier but still not much clearer :greengrin

I also found Requiem for a Dream to be outstanding but still disturbing. I first saw it at the cinema in an afternoon performance, came out into broad daylight and had to stop for a few seconds. Ellen Burstyn’s performance in it is horrible and tragic and utterly, utterly sublime.

Steve-O
28-03-2019, 06:20 AM
Funny Games.

I’ve only seen the US remake, but it’s the same director and a shot-for-shot remake of the original. Highly recommended and some true WTF stuff in there.

The_Exile
28-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Any Lars Von Trier film, although really enjoyed Melancholia, possibly more for the cinematography rather than the mental story though. Some of the scenes when the planet starts getting closer to Earth are epic and the final scene is just brilliant.

Requiem for a dream already mentioned but defo up there as a "WTF did I just watch, is this awful or is it genius?" type of film.

Human Centipede, no explanation needed.

Fight Club, Inception, Memento, Being John Malkovic, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind also all worthy mentions.

Tyler Durden
02-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Us, the new Jordan Peele film is definitely worth a look. An allegory on modern America with some surprises and laughs thrown in. Wasn’t sure it would match Get Out, which I thought was brilliant but this is equally as good.

Wouldn’t want to say much more for fear of spoilers.

J-C
27-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Watched Arrival on CH4 last night, really weird confusing film, even the continuity guy on the telly said at the end during the credits "Not a clue" haha.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Watched Arrival on CH4 last night, really weird confusing film, even the continuity guy on the telly said at the end during the credits "Not a clue" haha.

I've TiVo'd it, that's the impression I thought I'd be left with after watching the trailer.

Tyler Durden
27-05-2019, 08:16 PM

One of the best films of the last 5 years IMO. Amy Adams was superb.

I take it you did understand in the end?

J-C
28-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Yea but it kept jumping around so you never knew if it was past or future memories she had, the ending explained it all.

Tyler Durden
28-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Yea but it kept jumping around so you never knew if it was past or future memories she had, the ending explained it all.

:aok:

Better to be confused than bored, as a great man once said!