PDA

View Full Version : Hibs fanzines

McrHibee
18-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Please excuse my ignorance here, being an outsider who only starting following the Hibees from afar at the turn of the Millennium, and picking up the bug properly once more in the last few years..

But being a Manchester United fan who gets to Hibs games when I can, I was wondering what the fanzine scene was like at Easter Road before the onset of the internet. What fanzines have there been down the years, how long did they last, and do you think there's possibly room for a fanzine in future, or has that day now sadly passed?

I used to love collecting fanzines more than programmes when I was a kid and we've always been blessed at United, but I was just wondering what the history of fanzines at Hibernian is... if anyone can help shed some light on this for me please....

MSK
18-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Please excuse my ignorance here, being an outsider who only starting following the Hibees from afar at the turn of the Millennium, and picking up the bug properly once more in the last few years..

But being a Manchester United fan who gets to Hibs games when I can, I was wondering what the fanzine scene was like at Easter Road before the onset of the internet. What fanzines have there been down the years, how long did they last, and do you think there's possibly room for a fanzine in future, or has that day now sadly passed?

I used to love collecting fanzines more than programmes when I was a kid and we've always been blessed at United, but I was just wondering what the history of fanzines at Hibernian is... if anyone can help shed some light on this for me please....Good thread, there are a couple of fanzine contributors who post regularly on here, Johnnyboy and MB62 are two names that spring to mind👍

Apologies MB62 if it wasnt you, auld brain isnt as sharp as it used to be 😆

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2019, 06:27 PM
HIBS monthly and Masshibsteria spring to mind with contributions from jonnyboy Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby and from Irvine Welsh and Sandy McNair in various guises

Copies available from Almondvale Programmes
5 Albion Road Edinburgh EH7 5QJ
01316521444 (tel:01316521444)
almondvaleprogrammes@hotmail.co.uk (almondvaleorogrammes@hotmail.co.uk)

Onceinawhile
18-02-2019, 06:32 PM
HIBS monthly and Masshibsteria spring to mind with contributions from jonnyboy Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby and from Irvine Welsh and Sandy McNair in various guises

Copies available from Almondvale Programmes
5 Albion Road Edinburgh EH7 5QJ
01316521444 (tel:01316521444)
almondvaleprogrammes@hotmail.co.uk (almondvaleorogrammes@hotmail.co.uk)

Hibs monthly and mass hibsteria eventually joined forces as mhhm did they not?

superfurryhibby
18-02-2019, 06:33 PM
The pre internet Hibs fanzine scene was pretty good. Hibs Monthly was particularly fine. I remember Sandy Mc Nair contributed a fair bit ( Grumpy Gibby) and Irvine Welsh was the Octopus. The Proclaimer was another one I remember buying, but for me it was the Hibs Monthly. Still got loads of them.

Also used to enjoy the Absolute Game. A generic Scottish football fanzine. Very well produced.

tanfield
18-02-2019, 06:33 PM
There was loads at one point, Glasgow Gossip, Hibs Monthly and The Proclaimer were steady editions and TANESH (sp) came later. There were a couple of one edition productions at the height of it all, Down The Slope and Aye Monotonous being a couple I got my hands on

Peevemor
18-02-2019, 06:35 PM
There was also The Proclaimer, Glasgow Gossip, TANEHSH (?), Hibees Here,...

brianmc
18-02-2019, 06:44 PM
The
Absolutely
Non
Essential
Hibs
Supporters......

Cannae remember the full acronym 🇳🇬

Edit: the final H may have been
Handbook 🤔

NthCarolinaHibs
18-02-2019, 07:14 PM
I used to do one when I lived in the States,for US based Hibees,and Canadian Hibees...internet took care of that ☹️..

Billy Whizz
18-02-2019, 07:17 PM
Used to always love the front page of Mass Hysteria, always caught your attention
Used to buy from a lad at the top of St Clair St, he had long black hair. Does he still go to the games?

Frazerbob
18-02-2019, 07:18 PM
North East Hibernian was produced by Aberdeen students in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

Smartie
18-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Mass Hibsteria was absolutely top notch.

I used to love it when you turned into Albion Road and there would be someone there selling a new edition on the street.

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Mass Hibsteria gave birth to that odious hideous money grabbing Jambo character “Wallet Mercenary” or was it on a banner at a Hands Off HIBS rally?

Billy Whizz
18-02-2019, 07:33 PM
One of my favourites was there was a photo of Pele on the front page, with the caption “the black Chic Charley”🤣

Smartie
18-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Post Skol Cup win and pre Hearts 1998 Scottish Cup win we used to have a lot of fun laughing at their lack of trophy success in recent decades.

I remember a page being dedicated to Hearts' trophy successes since (?) 1962 or whatever - basically a chart that listed in columns under Scottish Cup, League Cup and League Championship "did not win" many times over.

Inconsequential
18-02-2019, 07:48 PM
I used to get Hibs Monthly/ Mass Hibsteria delivered as a subscriber for many years. As a previous poster mentioned they were one and the same thing. They didn't merge as such just a change of name. The readers were invited to suggest a new name for the fanzine with a modest prize for the winning entry iirc. Still have many copies safely stored away. These were the good old days before all the internet rubbish we have now!

Radium
18-02-2019, 07:55 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190218/fdf762a4f692440bdd0f1a3c3f7c75ed.jpg

Found this when clearing my mum’s house out last year. Good read twenty odd years on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSK
18-02-2019, 08:13 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190218/fdf762a4f692440bdd0f1a3c3f7c75ed.jpg

Found this when clearing my mum’s house out last year. Good read twenty odd years on.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDid Stuart Crowther have something to do with that fanzine ?

Carheenlea
18-02-2019, 08:17 PM
I was just the right age to catch the start of the fanzine scene, and luckily for Hibs fans we had some excellent publications, with the Hibees Glasgow Gossip being the first I remember buying. They were the complete antidote to the match day programmes and were filled with a mix of sharp wit/cartoons/essays and opinion.

As has been highlight above, Irvine Welsh used to contribute under the pseudonym of Octopus, and I think he might have contributed more under various guises. It was through reading fanzines that enabled me to be one of the first to purchase a copy of Trainspotting, probably quite collectible now if my well worn first edition was not held together with sellotape, as I don’t see too many with the cover that’s on my one. In the fanzine, probably Hibs Monthly, they started making mention of a book written by Octopus under the name Irvine Welsh, and highlighted some of the Hibs themed content. Despite not making much sense if it all I put an order in to my local book shop and the lady who ran the place sorted it out, and when the book was released the solitary copy she ordered was handed over with some muttered condemnation of the content when she had flicked through a couple of pages out of curiosity!

What I did notice with the fanzines was that often fans were not just interested in their own clubs publications, but would read many others, from England and Scotland, some of which had great reputations. It was a great scene back in the day.

Hiber-nation
18-02-2019, 08:30 PM

I used to love it when you turned into Albion Road and there would be someone there selling a new edition on the street.

That was usually our very own Jonnyboy :greengrin

BS44
18-02-2019, 08:34 PM
The Proclaimer was very quick to print it's concerns about David Rowland's involvement with Hibs after Duff and Gray took over our club.

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2019, 08:36 PM
Being an avid Programme collector the fanzine used to always give me a wee chuckle at half time away from the main stream their lampooning made up stories together with some excellent essays ripping the pish out of everyone including ourselves but especially the Hertz. :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
18-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Would love to see a comeback of a fanzine. 4 every season or something.

A few fanzines seem to be making a comeback, particularly down south. Good to see.

Barney McGrew
18-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Glasgow Gossip was always the most irreverent of them all IIRC, and the most humorous.

I’m sure it was the one that described Joe Tortolano as “being successfully marked out of the game by a divot” at one point

Hiber-nation
18-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Did Stuart Crowther have something to do with that fanzine ?

Yep, I'm sure that was why I never bought it....

Smartie
18-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Glasgow Gossip was always the most irreverent of them all IIRC, and the most humorous.

I’m sure it was the one that described Joe Tortolano as “being successfully marked out of the game by a divot” at one point

MHHM's description of Brian Hamilton as our "musical midfield genital" still makes me chuckle.

The Pointer
18-02-2019, 09:14 PM
I'd like to see them make a comeback as there are still plenty people who remember them first time around and will willingly read a piece of printed paper. I didn't get through to ER much in the eighties but always had a look around Albion Road for a seller when I did. They were usually funny, irreverent and in some respects, instant and contained opinion, something which the matchday programme didn't. A bit like punk or Viz in the beginning.

I think there are folk out there, young and old, who could generate something pretty good with all the available tech and so on - and a lot has happened since the last ones! :agree::gwa:

green day
18-02-2019, 09:16 PM
Did Hibs.net not come about as an online variant of MHHM?

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2019, 06:26 AM

There was a gorgeous lassie who used to sell them sometimes: long raven black hair. Anyone remember her? I always made a point of getting my copy from her :love ya!:

BILLYHIBS
19-02-2019, 06:31 AM
There was a gorgeous lassie who used to sell them sometimes: long raven black hair. Anyone remember her? I always made a point of getting my copy from her :love ya!:

Was that no Jonnyboy with long black hair? :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2019, 06:33 AM
Was that no Jonnyboy with long black hair? :greengrin

Naw!! :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
19-02-2019, 07:13 AM
I reckon their might be a market for them nowadays, or atleast one.

MB62
19-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Good thread, there are a couple of fanzine contributors who post regularly on here, Johnnyboy and MB62 are two names that spring to mind👍

Apologies MB62 if it wasnt you, auld brain isnt as sharp as it used to be 😆

It was indeed myself. I was Jonnyboy's ass Ed :greengrin for many years before he threw the reigns to me before I got the chance to pack it in :greengrin

Hibs monthly and mass hibsteria eventually joined forces as mhhm did they not?

It wasn't a joining of forces, just a re-naming (I think somebody else mentioned that too)

That was my patch for many years :thumbsup: although there was a few of who took turns when some were not available.

BILLYHIBS
19-02-2019, 09:28 AM
It was indeed myself. I was Jonnyboy's ass Ed :greengrin for many years before he threw the reigns to me before I got the chance to pack it in :greengrin

It wasn't a joining of forces, just a re-naming (I think somebody else mentioned that too)

That was my patch for many years :thumbsup: although there was a few of who took turns when some were not available.

Any funny quotes headlines memories stories from your fanzine days?

Col L
19-02-2019, 10:42 AM
I was the co-founder of Hibs Monthly, which evolved into Mass Hibsteria, along with my old mate SideBurns.

We started it off while still at High School and initially it was really just a Hibs news bulletin (match reports etc). It was only when we became aware of the Fanzine 'scene' across the UK that it really took off and developed the wicked sense of humour it became renowned for. I still have vivid memories of putting it together with a typewriter, scissors, prit-stick, Letraset and Tippex! :greengrin

When the Hibbie Hippie, Octopus (Irvine Welsh), the Raving Reporter and several other top-notch contributors came on board it started to grow and grow, and we also got a lot of help from other fanzines (AWOL, the old Meadowbank fanzine were particularly helpful) and outlets like the old Football Crazy shop up in Spittal Street.

The readers and their contributions made it what it was, and when I started playing fitba regularly on a Saturday I passed on the green and white baton to Jonnyboy and Sean Allan. Those two took it on to another level. Later esteemed editors included Graham Ewing and Nick Clater, while the Raving Reporter (MB) was always a stalwart of the editorial committee.

Looking back, if I'm being honest, I do cringe and regret one or two of the things we said and printed in the early days - I was young and Hibs and the fitba they played were often p*sh, so a lot of it was born out of frustration. However, the overriding memory I have is one of great pride, fun and mischief-making - we used to give Alex Miller and Dougie Cromb sleepless nights and we posed a lot of questions of the board and management. One of the finest issues we produced was the 1991 Skol Cup winning celebration edition, while the 'Summer Special' was always popular.

We were, I think, also the first publication to carry an advert for an upcoming book called Trainspotting.... I wonder how that did in the end? :aok:

Happy Hibbie days!

proud_and_green
19-02-2019, 11:31 AM
I opened this thread in the hope that there had been a revival and one of those superb publications was being resuscitated.
Damm!

Mantis Toboggan
19-02-2019, 11:34 AM
The MHHM 2016 league cup final special was a great throwback. In Manchester you could still get Red Issue until just a couple of years ago but has sadly now stopped doing a print version as well. A yearly summer special would be brilliant.

Barman Stanton
19-02-2019, 11:41 AM
I also remember seeing the trainspotting advert and buying the book based on that.

On another note, I remember Hearts main fanzine was Always the Bridesmaid because they had went so long without winning anything. No Cups in Gorgie we used to sing back then, especially after the 91 Cup win.

Peevemor
19-02-2019, 11:53 AM
I remember a few doctored Calvin & Hobbes cartoons (in Mass Hibsteria) with Calvin in a Hibs Strip - Hibs Kid I think it was called.

DBHibs
19-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Used to always love the front page of Mass Hysteria, always caught your attention
Used to buy from a lad at the top of St Clair St, he had long black hair. Does he still go to the games?

Sounds like that was my best mate by the description but unfortunately he passed away back in 2012.

Liberal Hibby
19-02-2019, 12:02 PM
North East Hibernian was produced by Aberdeen students in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

I think I may have stumbled across a copy of said publication in a box of old stuff - if I find it again I'll try and post it here. Not sure it lasted more than a few editions but then I left Aberdeen in 1989.

Pretty Boy
19-02-2019, 12:08 PM
I was too young to really be into the fanzine scene in it's heyday but I've read back through a lot of MHHM copies in recent years and they are superb. I also enjoyed the True Faith Newcastle fanzine which has recently started producing a paper copy again after years of being online only.

I suppose everything has it's day and there comes a time to let things lie but a once or twice a year special would be a big success imo. Alternatively to drag things into the modern age maybe a podcast with a few of the contributors, editors etc would work?

SideBurns
19-02-2019, 12:59 PM
I was the co-founder of Hibs Monthly, which evolved into Mass Hibsteria, along with my old mate SideBurns.

We started it off while still at High School and initially it was really just a Hibs news bulletin (match reports etc). It was only when we became aware of the Fanzine 'scene' across the UK that it really took off and developed the wicked sense of humour it became renowned for. I still have vivid memories of putting it together with a typewriter, scissors, prit-stick, Letraset and Tippex! :greengrin

When the Hibbie Hippie, Octopus (Irvine Welsh), the Raving Reporter and several other top-notch contributors came on board it started to grow and grow, and we also got a lot of help from other fanzines (AWOL, the old Meadowbank fanzine were particularly helpful) and outlets like the old Football Crazy shop up in Spittal Street.

The readers and their contributions made it what it was, and when I started playing fitba regularly on a Saturday I passed on the green and white baton to Jonnyboy and Sean Allan. Those two took it on to another level. Later esteemed editors included Graham Ewing and Nick Clater, while the Raving Reporter (MB) was always a stalwart of the editorial committee.

Looking back, if I'm being honest, I do cringe and regret one or two of the things we said and printed in the early days - I was young and Hibs and the fitba they played were often p*sh, so a lot of it was born out of frustration. However, the overriding memory I have is one of great pride, fun and mischief-making - we used to give Alex Miller and Dougie Cromb sleepless nights and we posed a lot of questions of the board and management. One of the finest issues we produced was the 1991 Skol Cup winning celebration edition, while the 'Summer Special' was always popular.

We were, I think, also the first publication to carry an advert for an upcoming book called Trainspotting.... I wonder how that did in the end? :aok:

Happy Hibbie days!

Col, I found a copy from the early 90s recently and was cringing at some of the pish I was coming out with.

Though, strangely, I'm not in the least embarrassed about the nonsense I was spouting in the pub just last Saturday 😁

G15 Hibs
19-02-2019, 01:05 PM
The London supporters association used to produce "Hibees Here Hibees There", I don't think that's been mentioned yet. From what I mind they managed quite a few editions.

Like most folk Hibs Monthly/Mass Hibsteria was the one I read most often. I was a teenager around the time of the fanzine boom and the subversiveness and humour really appealed to me as a kid who was discovering weird music and alternative culture and suchlike. Fanzines felt very much part of the same thing. Happy days. Things change though eh? That kind of DIY ethic doesn't exist in the same way now, although there are things like podcasts and the like with the NEW TECHNOLOGIES. Nice to reminisce though.

Peevemor
19-02-2019, 01:22 PM
The London supporters association used to produce "Hibees Here Hibees There", I don't think that's been mentioned yet. From what I mind they managed quite a few editions.

I mentioned Hibees Here earlier. From what I remember it looked a bit more professional/polished than the likes of Hibs Monthly but the content was nowhere near as radge.

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Happy Hibbie days!

:not worth

Great wee read it was.

G15 Hibs
19-02-2019, 01:42 PM
Post Skol Cup win and pre Hearts 1998 Scottish Cup win we used to have a lot of fun laughing at their lack of trophy success in recent decades.

I remember a page being dedicated to Hearts' trophy successes since (?) 1962 or whatever - basically a chart that listed in columns under Scottish Cup, League Cup and League Championship "did not win" many times over.

In the mid-90s I wrote up a list of historical events which had taken place since Hearts last won a trophy which ended up on the cover of an edition, I think. This was pre-Google of course, so involved actual research (or thinking at least)!

jgl07
19-02-2019, 02:09 PM
The MHHM 2016 league cup final special was a great throwback. In Manchester you could still get Red Issue until just a couple of years ago but has sadly now stopped doing a print version as well. A yearly summer special would be brilliant.
King of the Kippax is still on sale at Manchester City home matches.

Col L
19-02-2019, 02:19 PM
I think I may have stumbled across a copy of said publication in a box of old stuff - if I find it again I'll try and post it here. Not sure it lasted more than a few editions but then I left Aberdeen in 1989.

The North East Hibernian was the work of Moray Tait, a good lad and Hibbie (obviously) who has worked as a production journo for many years.

Billy Whizz
19-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Sounds like that was my best mate by the description but unfortunately he passed away back in 2012.

Oh that’s so sad to hear, remember him well

Col L
19-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Col, I found a copy from the early 90s recently and was cringing at some of the pish I was coming out with.

Though, strangely, I'm not in the least embarrassed about the nonsense I was spouting in the pub just last Saturday 😁

We may be more mature in years mate, but it will never halt our ability to spout nonsense :greengrin

Col L
19-02-2019, 02:32 PM
I should have added too that one of my favourite memories of the fanzine days was regularly getting invited/hauled into the offices of Messrs Miller and Cromb to explain ourselves and leaving them even more angry. Cromb would go through the entire fanzine with his highlighter pen and it's safe to say he didn't approve too much of his 'Davros' and 'Dennis Norden' nicknames.

True story.. when Miller took issue with being called 'Lexo' in the fanzine, Cromb called then co-editor Sean Allan at work demanding that we desist. All future references to Miller were sympathetically changed to '******** FACE' instead and Cromb never called Sean at work again after that.

oldbutdim
19-02-2019, 03:11 PM
I also remember seeing the trainspotting advert and buying the book based on that.

On another note, I remember Hearts main fanzine was Always the Bridesmaid because they had went so long without winning anything. No Cups in Gorgie we used to sing back then, especially after the 91 Cup win.

Although I've never written anything for a Hibs fanzine, curiously enough I co-authored a piece in Always The Bridesmaid!

:duck:

Carheenlea
19-02-2019, 03:27 PM
I should have added too that one of my favourite memories of the fanzine days was regularly getting invited/hauled into the offices of Messrs Miller and Cromb to explain ourselves and leaving them even more angry. Cromb would go through the entire fanzine with his highlighter pen and it's safe to say he didn't approve too much of his 'Davros' and 'Dennis Norden' nicknames.

True story.. when Miller took issue with being called 'Lexo' in the fanzine, Cromb called then co-editor Sean Allan at work demanding that we desist. All future references to Miller were sympathetically changed to '******** FACE' instead and Cromb never called Sean at work again after that.

Great story :hilarious

Wee Effen Bee
19-02-2019, 03:53 PM
I contributed a rubbishy wee comic strip called ‘Spambo the Jambo’ on occasion. Obviously about a stereotypical, deluded Hertz fan! Wouldn’t mind another shot at improving upon it if someone revives the printed ‘zine. 😬

MB62
19-02-2019, 07:49 PM

I still have a copy of Every single edition ever published 😁

Viva_Palmeiras
19-02-2019, 07:55 PM
I mentioned Hibees Here earlier. From what I remember it looked a bit more professional/polished than the likes of Hibs Monthly but the content was nowhere near as radge.

Ah yes....

http://www.hibs.net/londonhibs/hhht.htm

beensaidbefore
19-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Would it be possible to get any of the old fanzines uploaded? I know most will be long gone, but even scanned pages or extracts etc, I'm sure would be interesting reading.

Liberal Hibby
19-02-2019, 09:20 PM
The North East Hibernian was the work of Moray Tait, a good lad and Hibbie (obviously) who has worked as a production journo for many years.

Yup remember him now. Thanks.

majorhibs
19-02-2019, 09:24 PM
I was too young to really be into the fanzine scene in it's heyday but I've read back through a lot of MHHM copies in recent years and they are superb. I also enjoyed the True Faith Newcastle fanzine which has recently started producing a paper copy again after years of being online only.

I suppose everything has it's day and there comes a time to let things lie but a once or twice a year special would be a big success imo. Alternatively to drag things into the modern age maybe a podcast with a few of the contributors, editors etc would work?

Sorry there Mayweather, but what the F is a podcast? & do I want it? No, big style! Dinnae even like the sound of it! What I would do, however, would be subscribe to a fanzine as excellent as mentioned. Made the weekend that, attendin & a new fanzine oot!

ian cruise
19-02-2019, 09:51 PM

Maybe some of the guys involved could be involved in a feature on the Hibs Talk podcast that's shared on here? Sounds like plenty would be interested in an episode with them talking about the fanzines.

Greenfly
19-02-2019, 10:04 PM
I contributed a rubbishy wee comic strip called ‘Spambo the Jambo’ on occasion. Obviously about a stereotypical, deluded Hertz fan! Wouldn’t mind another shot at improving upon it if someone revives the printed ‘zine. 😬

I mind that well ... poor wee Spambo! I used to contribute various bits of gash under the name of ''Fly on the Wall". Thinking back on them 30 years ago I just cringe now but it was a hoot at the time. There were some real beauts out there. Bradford's "City Gent" was brilliant, Queen's Park's "The Web", Aberdeen's "Northern Light" and the previously mentioned "Cheers" (Meadowbank) with it's impossibly small print - all great reads. There was a lot of dross but some real gold amongst it all - happy days (mostly!) ... and we'll done to Colin and his inner team for keeping it going as long and as well as they did.

majorhibs
19-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Maybe some of the guys involved could be involved in a feature on the Hibs Talk podcast that's shared on here? Sounds like plenty would be interested in an episode with them talking about the fanzines.

Followin right on fi me, some wouldnae due to not actually WANTIN tae. But disregard us illiterate shapers of the future fi the past! What’s our intransigence compared tae movin so rapidly ahead, nane ae ye’se will ever experience 180mph + on a motorcycle, but I guess I am the 1 here who is losing out! Unlucky again! Blast!

Carheenlea
19-02-2019, 10:26 PM

I mind that well ... poor wee Spambo! I used to contribute various bits of gash under the name of ''Fly on the Wall". Thinking back on them 30 years ago I just cringe now but it was a hoot at the time. There were some real beauts out there. Bradford's "City Gent" was brilliant, Queen's Park's "The Web", Aberdeen's "Northern Light" and the previously mentioned "Cheers" (Meadowbank) with it's impossibly small print - all great reads. There was a lot of dross but some real gold amongst it all - happy days (mostly!) ... and we'll done to Colin and his inner team for keeping it going as long and as well as they did.

Remember both well guys -
On the subject of other fanzines one I recall for its classic name was “Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like London Planetarium", can’t remember which club it was connected to though.

ian cruise
19-02-2019, 10:31 PM
On the subject of other fanzines one I recall for its classic name was “Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like London Planetarium", can’t remember which club it was connected to though.

Gillingham FC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Moore%27s_Head_Looks_Uncannily_Like_London_P lanetarium

Carheenlea
20-02-2019, 12:57 AM
Gillingham FC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Moore%27s_Head_Looks_Uncannily_Like_London_P lanetarium

Would never guessed that, cheers - knew it was an English lower league effort.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2019, 06:14 AM
HIBS.net best fanzine ever!

The old ones were quite good tae!

The Harp
20-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Have good memories of the Hibs fanzines. My favourite at the time was Glasgow Gossip, and I also got the The Proclaimer. Still have 10 copies of MHHM at home,the oldest being from April 2001. I probably wasn't gifted enough to be a regular contributor but I did write several articles for MHHM.

When the fanzines were available on a match day, I used to get both the official programme and the fanzine before the games. Must say, I spent longer reading the fanzine, and enjoyed it more.

It would be great if they could make a comeback, say at the start of a season and maybe a stocking-filler edition at Christmas.

SideBurns
20-02-2019, 12:44 PM

One of my daft wee memories is of being in Gordon Rae's hoose in Bonnyrigg (I think?), interviewing him for the MHHM in the late 80s when his wife walked into the living room and said, "Sorry to interrupt, but that's Benny(Brazil) on the phone".

Interviewing one 'cult hero', and interrupted by another. Funny the things that stick in yer heid...

brog
20-02-2019, 01:33 PM
I used to be involved with London Hibs fanzine, HHHT. It was quite a task carting hundreds of magazines north to sell at ER but we usually sold out & helped club funds. I just had a wee browse in my collection & found about 15-20 of HHHT & the same of Mass Hibsteria/Hibs Monthly. Also 2 Proclaimer, 2 Tanesh, 6 Absolute Game & 1 other Scots fanzine called A Lotta Balls. Also 1 Hibs Stat! I also found a London Hibs newsletter from Jan/Feb 1997. In it we mentioned that Simon Pia had reported in Scotland on Sunday that a group of local businessman were trying to buy Hibs. Tom Farmer denied the story & threatened to sue SOS. 21 years on & nothing's changed!!

brog
20-02-2019, 04:15 PM
I used to be involved with London Hibs fanzine, HHHT. It was quite a task carting hundreds of magazines north to sell at ER but we usually sold out & helped club funds. I just had a wee browse in my collection & found about 15-20 of HHHT & the same of Mass Hibsteria/Hibs Monthly. Also 2 Proclaimer, 2 Tanesh, 6 Absolute Game & 1 other Scots fanzine called A Lotta Balls. Also 1 Hibs Stat! I also found a London Hibs newsletter from Jan/Feb 1997. In it we mentioned that Simon Pia had reported in Scotland on Sunday that a group of local businessman were trying to buy Hibs. Tom Farmer denied the story & threatened to sue SOS. 21 years on & nothing's changed!!

Forza Fred, one of the Tanesh fanzines I have features an interview with Jimmy O'Rourke by Fred Leggett! If you don't have it I can get it to you if you want it.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2019, 04:24 PM

Yip! Nothing has changed saw Simon in the Windsor last week before the game. :greengrin

HibbySpurs
20-02-2019, 04:29 PM
I reckon their might be a market for them nowadays, or atleast one.

I agree, I would certainly buy copies

Purple & Green
20-02-2019, 06:44 PM

Sounds like moaning Minnie. Spoke to her last year.

Purple & Green
20-02-2019, 06:48 PM
Would it be possible to get any of the old fanzines uploaded? I know most will be long gone, but even scanned pages or extracts etc, I'm sure would be interesting reading.

They were for a while on the Mass Hibsteria website - I’ve got a fair collection of old fanzines and its on my someday maybe list to scan them in and put them online.

Fergos
20-02-2019, 06:59 PM

A line from a Half Man Half Biscuit song also....and on the subject of Liverpool, Everton’s WSAG fanzine is very good.

GGTTH

Jonnyboy
20-02-2019, 09:38 PM
As has been said earlier, Col L. and SideBurns first created Hibs Monthly and took on board a few excellent writers including MB62 and Irvine Welsh. HM morphed into MHHM and I was an avid collector and fan and when Col L intimated the fanzine might die off given his change in circumstances. Sean and I met with Col L and SideBurns and were both delighted and honoured to take on the role of joint Editor's, we simply could not let it die.

Sean and I had great fun in producing a fair number of issues with Sean mainly the brainbox behind those fabulous front covers and myself contributing to the content, including of course "This is how it feels." We had fun, as I said but it was pretty time consuming work believe it or not!

After a while, Sean took more of a back seat and I was greatly helped at that time by MB62, famous for his Raving Reporter articles. We cracked along for a while until I was given the chance to join Stewart Crowther in the advent of Rivals.net wanting a Hibs presence. I'm delighted to say MB62 took over as Editor and the fanzine continued to flourish. There were many who contributed and many who helped us sell the fanzine on match days and the truth is we couldn't have done it without them.

Sadly the internet pretty much killed MHHM off although it stayed alive for a while in an online version as those of us who had stuff to say about Hibs could now do so online.

I loved my time as Editor and contributor and should some brave soul decide to resurrect MHHM, I'm good for a few articles :greengrin

I see Col L and SideBurns have recalled instances of involvement with the club and my own favourite was when Dougie Cromb invited Sean and I to meet with him on a day when Hibs were playing a closed door game against Dundee. We sat in the Directors Box and Dougie proceeded to tell us off for calling Alex Miller, Lexo :faf: Hibs won the game but Sean and I were impressed by the Dundee Manager who sat at the front of the Director's Box and shouted down instructions to the bench. That Manager was Jim Duffy :shocked: but I swear to God neither Sean nor I tried to influence Dougie to sign him :greengrin

SideBurns
20-02-2019, 10:30 PM
As has been said earlier, Col L. and SideBurns first created Hibs Monthly and took on board a few excellent writers including MB62 and Irvine Welsh. HM morphed into MHHM and I was an avid collector and fan and when Col L intimated the fanzine might die off given his change in circumstances. Sean and I met with Col L and SideBurns and were both delighted and honoured to take on the role of joint Editor's, we simply could not let it die.

Sean and I had great fun in producing a fair number of issues with Sean mainly the brainbox behind those fabulous front covers and myself contributing to the content, including of course "This is how it feels." We had fun, as I said but it was pretty time consuming work believe it or not!

After a while, Sean took more of a back seat and I was greatly helped at that time by MB62, famous for his Raving Reporter articles. We cracked along for a while until I was given the chance to join Stewart Crowther in the advent of Rivals.net wanting a Hibs presence. I'm delighted to say MB62 took over as Editor and the fanzine continued to flourish. There were many who contributed and many who helped us sell the fanzine on match days and the truth is we couldn't have done it without them.

Sadly the internet pretty much killed MHHM off although it stayed alive for a while in an online version as those of us who had stuff to say about Hibs could now do so online.

I loved my time as Editor and contributor and should some brave soul decide to resurrect MHHM, I'm good for a few articles :greengrin

I see Col L and SideBurns have recalled instances of involvement with the club and my own favourite was when Dougie Cromb invited Sean and I to meet with him on a day when Hibs were playing a closed door game against Dundee. We sat in the Directors Box and Dougie proceeded to tell us off for calling Alex Miller, Lexo :faf: Hibs won the game but Sean and I were impressed by the Dundee Manager who sat at the front of the Director's Box and shouted down instructions to the bench. That Manager was Jim Duffy :shocked: but I swear to God neither Sean nor I tried to influence Dougie to sign him :greengrin

Remember how smoothly the takeover discussions went, Jonnyboy. Col and I met you and Sean in a venue no stranger to high powered business meetings, I'm sure - The Chesser Inn - and we knew the fanzine was in safe hands.

Btw, you should've suggested to Dougie that you were impressed by Jim Duffy - there's no danger he would've been the next Hibs manager if you had 😁

basehibby
20-02-2019, 11:54 PM
I was an occasional contributer to Hibees Here Hibees and will never forget selling a couple to Pat Stanton and Kano in a bar near Pittodrie. There were some great issues - but MHHM was a gem. I used to get a wee thrill when I saw the guy selling them - stories, gags and articles galore with many riotously funny - and all about the Hibees. Reading bliss!

McrHibee
01-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback to this thread, fellas. Really enjoyed reading through all of the reminiscences, although it does really sadden me how fanzines aren't the matchday staple they once used to be. After reading some of this thread, I got a copy of Mass Hibsteria off ebay and, as we said in Manchester during the height of fanzine culture... I was well impressed.

As a kid I enjoyed reading my dad's fanzines more than the programmes he gave me from the matches he attended, and I started selling the first United fanzine that began in the mid-80s around the pubs of Old Trafford when I was 15... and a year later edited my own for a few seasons, until life and real work took over. After that I would write for one of the biggest selling fanzines in the UK, United We Stand, until the Glazers took over my club and I help create FC United. From there, I wrote for an early FC/Manchester fanzine and since we moved into our own ground in 2015, I've been editing the FCUM programme, trying to keep alive the spirit of fanzines as much as I can within the content.

Watching United away as a regular for many years, I would always seek out a fanzine from the other team as A, it would often provide a fascinating and much-needed alternative and constructive insight into another club, and B, would prove useful hanging out of the back of your jeans pocket when in boozer far from home and running the risk of getting your head kicked in for being an outsider!

A couple of years ago, and having not attended a match at Old Trafford since that takeover by the Yanks in 2005, I launched a retro/nostalgia-based MUFC fanzine called 1878 and although sales aren't great, the feedback has been overwhelming and has only confirmed to me that despite the changing climate of football over the last couple of decades, there is still an appetite for the printed fanzine. Or as I tell people when they buy it and ask what it is... perfect bog-reading material.

Reading this thread, it does seem there is a desire to see possibly another fanzine on the streets of Leith and although my original post was more about an education for myself in the Hibees fanzines of yore, the replies to my question of whether there's place for a fanzine at Hibs in this day and age has only Anthony Stoked something in me.

I am in no position to provide much of he content for a potential publication, but if there are enough people willing to contribute regularly to a future fanzine, then I would be more than happy to work in conjunction with a few people, and possibly design, produce and print a fanzine if there's a market for one, and we can get some good contributors who would do justice to the past mags that seem to be so missed.

I'll be up for the game against Sevco next week, arriving a good few hours before kick-off, and if anyone would like to talk about a potential future fanzine with me, or feel you would like to get involved with something, then please give me a shout or fire me a PM on here and maybe we can get something started...

After reading this thread, I feel that a club like Hibernian really could do with having a fanzine produced once again, and I'd be happy to get involved...

brog
01-03-2019, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the feedback to this thread, fellas. Really enjoyed reading through all of the reminiscences, although it does really sadden me how fanzines aren't the matchday staple they once used to be. After reading some of this thread, I got a copy of Mass Hibsteria off ebay and, as we said in Manchester during the height of fanzine culture... I was well impressed.

As a kid I enjoyed reading my dad's fanzines more than the programmes he gave me from the matches he attended, and I started selling the first United fanzine that began in the mid-80s around the pubs of Old Trafford when I was 15... and a year later edited my own for a few seasons, until life and real work took over. After that I would write for one of the biggest selling fanzines in the UK, United We Stand, until the Glazers took over my club and I help create FC United. From there, I wrote for an early FC/Manchester fanzine and since we moved into our own ground in 2015, I've been editing the FCUM programme, trying to keep alive the spirit of fanzines as much as I can within the content.

Watching United away as a regular for many years, I would always seek out a fanzine from the other team as A, it would often provide a fascinating and much-needed alternative and constructive insight into another club, and B, would prove useful hanging out of the back of your jeans pocket when in boozer far from home and running the risk of getting your head kicked in for being an outsider!

A couple of years ago, and having not attended a match at Old Trafford since that takeover by the Yanks in 2005, I launched a retro/nostalgia-based MUFC fanzine called 1878 and although sales aren't great, the feedback has been overwhelming and has only confirmed to me that despite the changing climate of football over the last couple of decades, there is still an appetite for the printed fanzine. Or as I tell people when they buy it and ask what it is... perfect bog-reading material.

Reading this thread, it does seem there is a desire to see possibly another fanzine on the streets of Leith and although my original post was more about an education for myself in the Hibees fanzines of yore, the replies to my question of whether there's place for a fanzine at Hibs in this day and age has only Anthony Stoked something in me.

I am in no position to provide much of he content for a potential publication, but if there are enough people willing to contribute regularly to a future fanzine, then I would be more than happy to work in conjunction with a few people, and possibly design, produce and print a fanzine if there's a market for one, and we can get some good contributors who would do justice to the past mags that seem to be so missed.

I'll be up for the game against Sevco next week, arriving a good few hours before kick-off, and if anyone would like to talk about a potential future fanzine with me, or feel you would like to get involved with something, then please give me a shout or fire me a PM on here and maybe we can get something started...

After reading this thread, I feel that a club like Hibernian really could do with having a fanzine produced once again, and I'd be happy to get involved...

Excellent post, good luck with your endeavours!

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Sounds like moaning Minnie. Spoke to her last year.

Why is she called moaning Minnie? It was about 2003, I think, she used to sell Mass Hibsteria. Wee stoater.