PDA

View Full Version : Battle for top six looks like being pretty exciting

worcesterhibby
17-02-2019, 03:43 PM
With the new management team in place and a win under their belts the race for 6th between ourselves, Motherwell and St Johnstone is now very much on. St Johnstone are on a terrible run of form with 4 losses and 1 draw from their last 5 games, while Well have won 5 on the trot. The head to heads v St J and Motherwell will be crackers and I have a good feeling that our new Gaffer will get us on a run that will see us clinch 6th before the split. The fact that our goal difference is so much better could be crucial, as it will be like an extra point if things get very tight.

B.H.F.C
17-02-2019, 03:50 PM
It’s well in our own hands to do it.

A win next week is absolutely crucial. St Johnstone play Aberdeen and Motherwell play Celtic so there is a fair chance they both drop points.

Only ever takes 3 or 4 wins on the bounce in this league for things to look totally different.

Top six isn’t anything to hugely celebrate but I think it would be a really positive start for Heckingbottom to secure it.

jellybean
17-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Yep, was checking the table and we are in a superior position regarding goal difference. Looking forward to seeing where we go from here. Feel that we've been hanging on to 7/8th position for ages now!

Itsnoteasy
17-02-2019, 05:41 PM
It’s well in our own hands to do it.

A win next week is absolutely crucial. St Johnstone play Aberdeen and Motherwell play Celtic so there is a fair chance they both drop points.

Only ever takes 3 or 4 wins on the bounce in this league for things to look totally different.

Top six isn’t anything to hugely celebrate but I think it would be a really positive start for Heckingbottom to secure it.

The difference is a good few grand. Also another derby. Nothing to celebrate but something to look forward 2.

Eyrie
17-02-2019, 05:54 PM
The difference is a good few grand. Also another derby. Nothing to celebrate but something to look forward 2.

Should also get another home game against Celtc which, like the derby and prize money, will help boost the player budget for next season.

Glory Lurker
17-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Who would have thought last summer that we'd have a thread about this? Brutal season.

We have to do it.

Ozyhibby
17-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Hibs and Motherwell to make top 6, Hearts and St. Johnstone to miss out. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnMcM
17-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Hibs and Motherwell to make top 6, Hearts and St. Johnstone to miss out. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this moment in time, unlikely, but nice to think of.

:flag:

Jack Hackett
17-02-2019, 07:42 PM
I don't want exciting

Onion
17-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Only of we keep winning.

The 90+2
17-02-2019, 07:49 PM
No it doesn’t. It’s a Beamer saving season in general.

Captain Trips
17-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Not interested in top 6. Aiming to just be in the top 6 should be left for Motherwell, St Johnstone etc.

Here is hoping we put a run together and push for 4th.

lapsedhibee
17-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Not interested in top 6. Aiming to just be in the top 6 should be left for Motherwell, St Johnstone etc.

Can't believe the number of people here and on the other thread who're even contemplating the possibility of us finishing fourth.

We've just beaten Hamilton by two goals, a result which is four goals worse than the result under our previous manager in the corresponding feature earlier this season. If this pattern's repeated I calculate we'll finish the season on 35 points with a goal difference of -40. We'll be lucky to escape the relegation play-off spot.

SMAXXA
17-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Can't believe the number of people here and on the other thread who're even contemplating the possibility of us finishing fourth.

We've just beaten Hamilton by two goals, a result which is four goals worse than the result under our previous manager in the corresponding feature earlier this season. If this pattern's repeated I calculate we'll finish the season on 35 points with a goal difference of -40. We'll be lucky to escape the relegation play-off spot.

I have no idea what your last paragraph is on about with your predictions

JimboHibs
17-02-2019, 10:08 PM

How many people think theres a possibility of us finishing fourth ?

lapsedhibee
17-02-2019, 10:10 PM
I have no idea what your last paragraph is on about with your predictions
The clear decline in results under our new manager, so far. Let's hope it's blip rather than pattern.

CmoantheHibs
17-02-2019, 10:10 PM

We need to make top six if we are to push for 4th. Focus on making top 6 first then re-evauate targets after that.

Broken Gnome
17-02-2019, 10:15 PM
The clear decline in results under our new manager, so far. Let's hope it's blip rather than pattern.

Anything less than a resounding 3-0 win in Friday and we're in trouble then. In fact, if you're going like-for-like from heady days of thumping away triumphs... if Agyepong doesn't get a minute of game time, let alone another goal at Dens, then the rots really set in.

DetroitHibs
18-02-2019, 07:11 AM
A win at Dens Park is a must. I think 6th is doable.

mcfly
18-02-2019, 07:14 AM
With the new management team in place and a win under their belts the race for 6th between ourselves, Motherwell and St Johnstone is now very much on. St Johnstone are on a terrible run of form with 4 losses and 1 draw from their last 5 games, while Well have won 5 on the trot. The head to heads v St J and Motherwell will be crackers and I have a good feeling that our new Gaffer will get us on a run that will see us clinch 6th before the split. The fact that our goal difference is so much better could be crucial, as it will be like an extra point if things get very tight.

Agree the above however the fans don’t agree.

Where were they on sat for the new manager? 16000 I don’t think so.

There is a real apathy around the place and the worry is season ticket sales take a huge hit.

DetroitHibs
18-02-2019, 07:39 AM

There is a real apathy around the place and the worry is season ticket sales take a huge hit.

I think there's quite a few fans that will need convincing. If PH can turn things around and show signs of improvement, I don't think the hit will be that huge. If we don't improve and finish in the bottom six, I see at least 2000 less season tickets sold next year. That's roughly a half million quid the club won't see.

CapitalGreen
18-02-2019, 07:39 AM

There was only 16,000 fans when Lennon faced Hamilton for the first time at Easter Road too.

They pumped us 3-1 that day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40908206

CapitalGreen
18-02-2019, 07:46 AM

The attendance of our 2nd home match against Hamilton last season in the middle of our winning streak was only 15,818.

worcesterhibby
18-02-2019, 07:52 AM
We need to make top six if we are to push for 4th. Focus on making top 6 first then re-evauate targets after that.

exactly, and I’m sure the coaching staff will be looking at it this way. Let’s get on a run and get into the top 6 first. We are 3 points behind St J and 1 behind Motherwell but we still have to play both of them. It’s in our hands. Once we make the top 6 we can start looking higher up the table. Let’s hope hearts keep dropping points and give us a chance of overtaking them at that point. :flag::greengrin:flag:

Hibernia&Alba
18-02-2019, 08:21 AM
I think the split for the final few games is a pointless exercise. All teams should play each other the same number of times, as it used to be. Top six might mean a few more quid, which is fair enough.

Leitherhibs
18-02-2019, 08:46 AM
A win at Dens Park is a must. I think 6th is doable.

This. Think it's a must win, the fact we play Motherwell and St J in the next few weeks means it'll be interesting but our other games are Hearts away, Sevco at home and Killie at home. Tough fixtures.

King Dominique
18-02-2019, 09:04 AM
Someone rightly pointed out. The three goals Heck as are

1) Get top Six
2) Beat Hearts
3) Get into the next round of the SC

If he even achieves one of these he will come out of this season with credibility. All three and he will be revered over the summer.

The squad he has inherited clearly has quality within it - the question is can he tap into that pool of ability that's there and bring them to the level they are capable of achieving. I think he will need to stick to a 4-4-2, 4-1-2-1-2 or a 4-2-2-2 if he is to do this. He has a very strong squad to work with and a healthy crop of talented youth players coming through. The future of this club is bright.

Smartie
18-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to find a battle to get into the top six "exciting".

Mildly interesting maybe (which is better than being safely isolated in about 8th or 9th) but it is certainly not exciting.

danhibees1875
18-02-2019, 10:30 AM
I think the split for the final few games is a pointless exercise. All teams should play each other the same number of times, as it used to be. Top six might mean a few more quid, which is fair enough.

A few more quid for league position

A few more quid for crowds v Hearts and Celtic rather than Livi and Dundee

A few more quid from the perception of top 6 being more credible to those who buy STs based on likely performance next year.

I'm not sure exactly what it would be worth - but probably a couple of players wages for next year at least. :dunno:

I also like the split as a concept. :greengrin

DTS
18-02-2019, 10:40 AM
So a win on Friday puts us 6th with Motherwell and St J both having games you would imagine they wouldn’t get any more than a point out of in Celtic and Aberdeen. At that point we would be 5 behind hearts and 8 behind killie, both have games you’d expect them to win. A win on Friday would be huge and if it’s followed with a win in Perth that mid week then all of a sudden we’d be just as close to 5th and potentially 4th as we would be to Motherwell and St J in 7th and 8th. If we do come out of the next two games with 6 points the mindset will completely change and we would have a small chance of nicking a European place albeit relying on killie/hearts dropping points. We do however have to play both of these teams(twice if we get top 6). Anything short of 4 points on the next two games and the best we can hope for at a push is 6th IMO

matty_f
18-02-2019, 10:54 AM
I think it's exciting, it's not where I'd want us to be by a long shot but I will allow myself to be excited about it - why not? We've got a low number of games to get enough points to put us in the top six. I want us to do better once we're there but what's the point in going to football if you can't get excited about the times where a target (whatever it is) is on the line?

As for the season tickets, they won't be sold on the position we finish but on how we get there. If we fall short of a good finish but do it with good results, good football and a bit of swagger then I think that sells itself.

I think 4th is already beyond us, to get there we'd need to overhaul one of Aberdeen, Killie, Celtc, or Rangers. I think the gap's already too great to do that.

We could get 5th, though, and given the season we've had I think that would be ok.

Hibernia&Alba
18-02-2019, 10:56 AM
A few more quid for league position

A few more quid for crowds v Hearts and Celtic rather than Livi and Dundee

A few more quid from the perception of top 6 being more credible to those who buy STs based on likely performance next year.

I'm not sure exactly what it would be worth - but probably a couple of players wages for next year at least. :dunno:

I also like the split as a concept. :greengrin

Yes, fair points.

B.H.F.C
18-02-2019, 11:06 AM
I get what people are saying about it not being exciting. Certainly not on the back of last season. But let’s face it, in the last 10 years or so how many times have we actually managed to finish top six?

I won’t be celebrating it as a major achievement but it’s a new era and it’s important we see some early signs of progress. It’s not Heckingbottom’s fault he inherited a team in a crap position after all.

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2019, 12:53 PM
The attendance of our 2nd home match against Hamilton last season in the middle of our winning streak was only 15,818.It was a wednesday night though.

Marvellous
18-02-2019, 01:44 PM
We're 5/2 on Bet Victor to finish top six

K.Marx
18-02-2019, 01:52 PM
As someone has alluded to our record of actually finishing the top 6 is pretty dreadful and in particular, securing back to back top 6 finishes.

Finishing 6th would be nothing to write home about, but given our incredible lack of consistency in actually making the top 6 I think it’s important that it’s done. I think it would help steady season ticket sales as well which could take a hit if the season ends in bottom 6 damp squib.

The 90+2
18-02-2019, 02:13 PM

Decent price. :agree:

Here’s Lucy!
18-02-2019, 04:59 PM

Pretty short. :wink:

JimboHibs
18-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Pretty short. :wink:

Price you get ?

Here’s Lucy!
19-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Price you get ?

:rolleyes: It was a joke.

Look at what I highlighted in bold lettering.

You'll get it then.

Pretty Boy
19-02-2019, 04:06 PM
Let's be honest it's not where anyone wanted to be.

However we have games v Motherwell and St Johnstone which could potentially be huge. Add to that the more points we rack up the more we keep an outside interest of Europe should we make the top 6. It's also a chance to see where we are and where we are going moving forward.

It's been a disappointing season but there's still an element of excitment in the coming weeks.

ian cruise
19-02-2019, 10:22 PM
If we get enough points to guarantee top 6 then I wouldn't say we've no chance at top 4. It would require some run but we've done it before. Once we're in the top 6 we just need to beat the guys ahead of us and hope that Celtic take points off everyone. Aside from that most of the other results should give us some sort of benefit on catching those ahead of us.

monktonharp
19-02-2019, 10:53 PM
The attendance of our 2nd home match against Hamilton last season in the middle of our winning streak was only 15,818.those figures look pretty impressive in relevant terms, imho. If you looked back 10 years, or more those are not bad attendances for that fixture. However, I am not interested in scraping in to the top 6 anymore! we are, and should act like a big club in Scottish football terms, thereby not being in a struggle for that league position. we have taken great strides in recent years as a club, and yet find ourselves in some sort of limbo again. we must win on Friday and not settle for a creditable draw.