PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hamilton 160219)

Jonnyboy
16-02-2019, 07:06 PM
With Paul Heckingbottom and Robbie Stockdale making their first appearance in the home dugout, there was a healthy support in the home stands with around 16,000 watching on and wondering what changes might be made, given that the new coaching team had really only had a few days to work with the players. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the starting eleven was the same as that which started the week before in the Raith Rovers cup tie. The bench showed two changes however with Bogdan replacing Dabrowski and Lewis Allan chosen instead of Whittaker.

Last time out, Hibs had destroyed a poor Hamilton side 6-0 but since then, Hibs had struggled a bit whilst Hamilton had put together a couple of decent results under their new manager and ex-Hibee Brian Rice. To be fair to them they tried to play football throughout, rather than packing their defence and hoping for the best.

The first and most obvious change to me was that whenever possession was given up, Hibs got everyone behind the ball and effectively defended from the front with McNulty and Kamberi rushing the Hamilton central defenders into playing a pass quickly. This is obviously an early indication of PH’s intention to hunt the ball down when the opposition have it.

In the very early stages of the game Hibs looked hungry as they went about the task of putting the Accies goal under threat. Both strikers were showing well and the midfield always looked to play the ball forward when the opportunity arose. Not long into the game, Accies managed to deny Hibs the opener three times in rapid succession. McNulty worked some space on the right before cutting the ball back to the waiting Kamberi. Flo did well to get his strike away as the ball was slightly behind him but he was denied by an excellent save from Woods. As the ball broke to edge of the box, Mallan struck a low drive but it was blocked and as the ball then fell to Milligan, his effort flew just wide of the target.

Hamilton then carved out an opportunity but Andreu was denied by Rocky who pulled off a smart save. Just past the quarter hour mark Hibs opened the scoring. Horgan who had struggled to get involved up to that point sent over a wicked cross which Kamberi got the slightest touch to and that deceived Woods in the Hamilton goal. Next, another clever cross by Horgan saw Kamberi get his head onto the ball but unluckily for him the ball struck the bar, went straight up in the air and was easily collected by Woods as it dropped down again.

With Slivka and Mallan showing up well in midfield it was the home side that was doing the most pressing as the two strikers put in a power of work to create space for them. It seemed it would be only a matter of time before Hibs struck again but when they did, around five minutes before the interval it was from the penalty spot rather than open play. A cross to the far side of the box was met by the head of David Gray but as he was making contact with the ball, Lennard Sowah inexplicably barged him over and the referee did not hesitate in awarding a penalty. After a short discussion involving Kamberi, Mallan and McNulty it was the last named who blasted home to make it 2-0 at the interval.

A somewhat rejuvenated Hamilton put in a much better second half performance enjoying more possession of the ball and on one occasion Miller’s effort was deflected onto the post by Marciano. With Brian Rice going for bust he made a series of substitutions and the fresh legs helped the visitors enjoy having more of the ball but as they pressed forward they left themselves exposed at the back. First Kamberi and then Shaw twice broke free but made poor decisions when others were available and in space. Other chances saw keeper Woods earning his pay as he denied Kamberi by pushing his effort just over the bar and then sighing with relief as McNulty’s headed effort was straight at him. Woods was beaten with five minutes left as Omeonga struck a low ‘daisy cutter’ only to see the effort strike the far post and get cleared.

All in all it was a decent performance from Hibs and a massively better performance by Hamilton given their cuffing earlier in the season. New gaffer Heckingbottom seemed pleased in his post-match interview and who could blame him. Three points and a clean sheet and perhaps most importantly to him the fact that the players had taken on board those changes to set up and formation. It is early days yet and next Friday will present a challenge as Hibs travel to face a resurgent Dundee but a full week on the training ground will give both the gaffer and the players time to work together on the quest of claiming another three points.

The players

Rocky – Only had a couple of saves to make but the one where the ball hit the post was made due to his excellent positional sense.

SDG – You can always guarantee that SDG will leave nothing on the park. His drive and determination are always a welcome sight and if he can just get an injury free spell under his belt he might just get that new contract offer. I hope so.

Daz – I thought Daz was outstanding today against a very tricky opponent in George Oakley. Brilliant in the air and no slouch on the ground this was the Daz we’ve all come to love and long may it continue.

Paul – I’ve been critical of Paul in recent weeks but I felt that today he was much more like his old self. Read the play well, won more than his fair share of headers and picked out a couple of fine crossfield passes.

Lewis – Up against a very tricky opponent today but rarely found himself wanting. I noticed at the end of the game that PH gave him a hug and a pat on the back which made me think that yet another manager in a long list of managers realises he has a gem on his hands.

Stevie – PH knows all about Stevie and what he has to offer and the new boss must have been impressed with what he witnessed today. The laddie works so hard and can pick a pass that others might not see.

Viki – Wow, just wow!! Surely his best ever performance in a Hibs jersey, he was everywhere. Totally bossed that midfield area, despite the odious Darien McKinnon trying and failing miserably to boot him all over the park. No surprise he was voted the sponsors man of the match and equally no surprise that he was mine too.

Milli – After a shaky start when his first four passes were either intercepted or just plain rotten he came onto a great game and pretty much hoovered up everything in the midfield area.

Daryl – I thought he started very slowly but from the moment of his cross for the first goal until about ten minutes before being substituted, he was always on the move.

Flo – Listening to Radio Scotland after the game the air in my car turned blue when Richard Gordon and Pat Bonnar shared a ‘joke’ about Flo’s dynamic performance. It was bad enough being called out in public in the past without those two getting involved. As to Flo’s contributiuon today, I thought it was very, very good.

Mark – Two goals in two games is a fine start for any new striker but there is so much more to his game than that. His movement is excellent as is his work rate and I’m confident he will only get better with more match minutes under his belt.

Stephane – I really like the look of this guy who is very tidy in possession and not afraid to mix it when required. The lad was very unlucky that his shot late in the game hit the post.

Oli – Poor Oli will be kicking himself tonight. Desperate to impress his new gaffer he blew two very good opportunities for his side to score.

Lewis Allan – Only got the last five minutes but didn’t do a lot wrong.

PH/RS – An encouraging start for the new guys. Onwards and upwards is the target.

The fans – I thought that was an excellent turnout today and that the guys in the FF upper kept things going nicely throughout the game.

Alan Muir – I have a suggestion for Mr. Muir. Buy a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word consistency and then apply that to your decision making. A number of similar type fouls by either side seemed to draw a different interpretation of whether an offence had taken place. The lad Sowah must have committed five or six fouls before getting a yellow and I’m convinced it was the crowd reaction that finally prompted Muir into action. Granted, he booked three Hibs players and I can’t argue with any of those bookings but it seemed to me that similar fouls by Hamilton players did not result in a card.

Shrekko
16-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Why did you get upset about the radio comments on Kamberi?

Bonner praised him and Gordon just asked if he’d been more dynamic than in other games this season and more like the player of last season. Bonner said yes.

Are radio analysts meant to lie and not call things as they see them?

His form has been fairly poor for large chunks of the season which you’ve noted in other match reports. He’s capable of much better when he’s firing ... like he was today. What’s the problem in them pointing it out?

greenlex
16-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Bonner praised him and Gordon just asked if he’d been more dynamic than in other games this season and more like the player of last season. Bonner said yes.

His form has been fairly poor for large chunks of the season which you’ve noted in other match reports. He’s capable of much better when he’s firing ... like he was today. What’s the problem in them pointing it out?
It pissed me off too. It wasn’t the fact that Gordon was asking the question it was the sneaky snide way he did it. Bonnar was professional enough.

Golden Bear
16-02-2019, 07:29 PM

They also mischievously suggested that Neil Lennon would be interested in Kamberi's improved performance. Just no need imo.

Jonnyboy
16-02-2019, 07:30 PM

It was the classless s******ing that wound me up. I don't mind them commenting, it's their job but they were hardly professional, behaving like schoolkids

BILLYHIBS
16-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Brilliant jonnyboy as always

I have been a critic of Slivka in the past but he got a well deserved round of applause in the Gallery Restaurant when picking up his Man of the Match award in the Hospitality

Is Milli the old Mark and is Mark the new Marc? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
16-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Brilliant jonnyboy as always

I have been a critic of Slivka in the past but he got a well deserved round of applause in the Gallery Restaurant when picking up his Man of the Match award in the Hospitality

Is Milli the old Mark and is Mark the new Marc? :greengrin

Stop it or we'll both get confused :greengrin

Maybe I should just use their shirt number :faf:

hibsbollah
16-02-2019, 07:42 PM
I think we're going to see a lot of this high 'blitz' type press for the rest of the season. Its clearly the Hoñinbullock way.

Shrekko
16-02-2019, 07:52 PM
They also mischievously suggested that Neil Lennon would be interested in Kamberi's improved performance. Just no need imo.

If he played like he did in the second half today for most of the season Neil Lennon would probably have been a very happy man.

Regardless of the historic stuff, radio commentators have to comment. Even most neutrals have been surprised at the season Kamberi has had. Gordon did little wrong IMO and there’s no need for everyone to be so sensitive. Who cares what they think anyway?

I really don’t think the player needs mollycoddled the way some fans are at the moment. Still think he’s a pretty confident boy.

BILLYHIBS
16-02-2019, 07:53 PM

Apologies I could not believe what I was reading after last weeks comment on Christian names :greengrin

Jonnyboy
16-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Apologies I could not believe what I was reading after last weeks comment on Christian names :greengrin

:greengrin :aok:

Gatecrasher
16-02-2019, 07:55 PM

Did your hear there comments about hibs and LD before the game? It was almost laughable, the jambo one was saying things along the lines of "I know hibs can't provide more information but they should be providing more information to the fans"

Anyway they did have a dig at Kamberi by saying he didn't try for Lennon or something like that

Dan Sarf
16-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Just want to say thank you for the usual, clear, informative, insightful, honest description of how the game went and how each player played.

First thing I, and I imagine many others, look for after every game.

:top marks

Shrekko
16-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Did your hear there comments about hibs and LD before the game? It was almost laughable, the jambo one was saying things along the lines of "I know hibs can't provide more information but they should be providing more information to the fans"

Anyway they did have a dig at Kamberi by saying he didn't try for Lennon or something like that

I didn’t hear them say he didn’t try for Lennon and your first comment is not something I’d be getting het up about to be honest.

CMurdoch
16-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Johnny, glad to see your positive comments about Mallan.
Not because i agree.
I thought he was poor again, a man short etc.
I would prefer to be wrong and wondered what others think positively or otherwise about SM.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-02-2019, 08:02 PM
If the referee watches the game again he will see that there were plenty of fouls in the game but they were mostly that...just fouls. Booking the Hamilton player just because the East sounded off shows that he was doubting his own authority.

Gatecrasher
I didn’t hear them say he didn’t try for Lennon and your first comment is not something I’d be getting het up about to be honest.I'm not, I just found it funny the guy contradicted himself about 3 times in the space of a minute.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
Not because i agree.
I would prefer to be wrong and wondered what others think positively or otherwise.

I think that's a bit harsh to be honest. Opinions though, always welcome :aok:

Leith Green
16-02-2019, 08:08 PM
Not because i agree.
I would prefer to be wrong and wondered what others think positively or otherwise about SM.

Dont think he did anything of any real note today. He needs replaced if we are to improve next season.

green day
16-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Preston can't help himself. Suggesting that Hibs fans will be upset as NL clearly did nothing per the agreed statement.

It took Pat Bonnar (I think) to tell him that nobody gets suspended for nothing, and clearly there is a legal agreement meaning no disclosure.

Wee fud was banging on about how fans should be allowed to know what's going on if they contribute via HSL or FoH etc.

A wee fat fanny.

SonOfDavidFrancey
16-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Just want to say thank you for the usual, clear, informative, insightful, honest description of how the game went and how each player played.

First thing I, and I imagine many others, look for after every game.

:top marks

Agree with this 100%, especially just after a week in which so many half baked opinions have been on offer

CMurdoch
16-02-2019, 08:17 PM
I think that's a bit harsh to be honest. Opinions though, always welcome :aok:

What do you think he offers other than the shooting and set pieces.
I think he works hard and does his best.

However, due to a lack of ability as a footballer he is ineffective.

His 2nd touch is a tackle, he fouls when he tries to tackle and he is easily dispossessed.

I have seen him this way all season.

Do you disagree with my assessment?

Jonnyboy
16-02-2019, 08:24 PM

His 2nd touch is a tackle, he fouls when he tries to tackle and he is easily dispossessed.

I do, yes. I believe he has ability and that although he may not shine for ninety minutes, he displays it often enough. Like I say though, it's all about opinions :aok:

CMurdoch
16-02-2019, 08:37 PM
I do, yes. I believe he has ability and that although he may not shine for ninety minutes, he displays it often enough. Like I say though, it's all about opinions :aok:

Thanks Jonny, i will try to get my head round it.
As a long time advocate of Slivka and Milligan I have long since realised we all see things differently :aok:.

Jonnyboy
16-02-2019, 08:40 PM
As a long time advocate of Slivka and Milligan I have long since realised we all see things differently :aok:.

:aok:

Keith_M
16-02-2019, 08:42 PM

I agree that he's shown that in a number of games but not all season.

ancient hibee
16-02-2019, 08:42 PM
I didn’t hear them say he didn’t try for Lennon and your first comment is not something I’d be getting het up about to be honest.
That’s because they didn’t have the guts to come out and say that.Instead they had their little snide remarks about wondering what Lennon thought about that,the implication was obvious.

Lancs Harp
16-02-2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks Jonny much appreciated by those that live afar.

BTW I hope you stayed till the end. :wink::greengrin

green with envy
16-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Not because i agree.

I'm not sure what you were watching today but i'm sure it wasn't Mallan. Apart from the first 10 minutes when he gave the ball away a couple of times, i thought he had his best game this year.

BILLYHIBS
16-02-2019, 08:50 PM
I appreciate what CMurdoch was trying to say ref SM but he was a lot better today and in fairness they all were especially Slivka MacGregor Hanlon and Milligan it must be because we have a new Manager or something?

Long may it continue!

Fuzzywuzzy
16-02-2019, 08:50 PM
I thought that some of the passing was shan today. Far too many loose balls

On the up side that seemed to change in the second half and the players seemed a lot more fluid

CMurdoch
16-02-2019, 08:52 PM
I agree that he's shown that in a number of games but not all season.

In the quieter moments of the match i was contemplating how we could get our money back for him.
Came up with selling him to the New England Patriots as a specialist kicker.
i will postpone this meantime while i reassess in the light of others comments above :wink:.

H18S NX
16-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Good write up JB,although i did'nt rate Mallan so highly,Slivka MOM,with Milligan a close second.

Borderhibbie76
16-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Dont think he did anything of any real note today. He needs replaced if we are to improve next season.Agreed..for me he was largely anonymous again other than a couple of very good passes. Does nowhere near enough in a game and we need better for where we want to be...just my opinion but I often forget he's on the pitch tbh

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mr Grieves
16-02-2019, 09:41 PM
I thought that some of the passing was shan today. Far too many loose balls

On the up side that seemed to change in the second half and the players seemed a lot more fluid

Some of the passing was really sloppy, which is weird because we were working on passing in the video from Heckingbottom's first training session.

And we were sitting really deep in the 2nd half but had a few decent counters which we didn't take full advantage of.

Lancs Harp
16-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Some of the passing was really sloppy, which is weird because we were working on passing in the video from Heckingbottom's first training session.

And we were sitting really deep in the 2nd half but had a few decent counters which we didn't take full advantage of.

Its going to take a bit longer than one or two training sessions to get Pauls ideas over to the players, let alone successfully implement them.

Mr Grieves
16-02-2019, 09:46 PM
Its going to take a bit longer than one or two training sessions to get Pauls ideas over to the players, let alone successfully implement them.

I know, they did look decent in the vid though

16-02-2019, 09:53 PM

In the quieter moments of the match i was contemplating how we could get our money back for him.
Came up with selling him to the New England Patriots as a specialist kicker.
i will postpone this meantime while i reassess in the light of others comments above :wink:.

Harsh. Mallan is only 22 and is still learning his trade. Yes there are parts of his game he can improve and I'm sure he and the coaches know this.

I notice you refer to his shooting but don't actually mention the goals. He's our joint top scorer this season with 11 in 35 games which is a goal every 3 games, a good return for a midfielder I'd say.

I don't get why you and others contemplate getting rid of him instead of allowing him time to improve.

If after reassessing you decide we should sell him, who do you suggest we replace him with (that is the finished article) for the same money?

Smartie
16-02-2019, 10:26 PM
Harsh. Mallan is only 22 and is still learning his trade. Yes there are parts of his game he can improve and I'm sure he and the coaches know this.

I notice you refer to his shooting but don't actually mention the goals. He's our top scorer this season with 11 in 34 games which is a goal every 3 games, a good return for a midfielder I'd say.

I don't get why you and others contemplate getting rid of him instead of allowing him time to improve.

If after reassessing you decide we should sell him, who do you suggest we replace him with (that is the finished article) for the same money?

I thought Mallan started the game very well. He played one exquisite ball through to Flo that was deserving of much better, and some of his corners in the second half were absolutely deadly. On another day he could have been walking away with at least 2 or 3 assists.

He has his weaknesses though, and my concern with Mallan is that his weaknesses are very hard to work on and improve. I just don't think he's naturally athletic, and that you need to have a bit more natural athleticism about you in order to be able to build upon it.

It's easier to teach a player to hit a dead ball, to play with his weaker foot or to adapt to a new position than it is to give him a burst of pace. It is that burst of pace that will always be missing in Mallan's game and I think it is going to be what ultimately stops him from being a top, top player. It's a shame, because his weight of pass, strength of shot and ability to hit a dead ball are probably as good as I've seen in a Hibs player.

ancient hibee
16-02-2019, 10:33 PM
I thought Mallan started the game very well. He played one exquisite ball through to Flo that was deserving of much better, and some of his corners in the second half were absolutely deadly. On another day he could have been walking away with at least 2 or 3 assists.

He has his weaknesses though, and my concern with Mallan is that his weaknesses are very hard to work on and improve. I just don't think he's naturally athletic, and that you need to have a bit more natural athleticism about you in order to be able to build upon it.

It's easier to teach a player to hit a dead ball, to play with his weaker foot or to adapt to a new position than it is to give him a burst of pace. It is that burst of pace that will always be missing in Mallan's game and I think it is going to be what ultimately stops him from being a top, top player. It's a shame, because his weight of pass, strength of shot and ability to hit a dead ball are probably as good as I've seen in a Hibs player.
Spot on.It’s not helped by him often seemingly on his heels when a pass in front of him is on.

Shrekko
16-02-2019, 10:48 PM

I’ve read a few similar comments recently .. along the lines of Mallan ‘not being a footballer’ but also acknowledging that his footballing technique when it comes to shooting and set-pieces is pretty much second to none for a Scottish lad... a 22 year old Scottish lad.

People who say he’s not a footballer are probably beyond reasoning with. Probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read.

Is he getting the most out of his undoubted talent? Probably not, and he isn’t pulling it altogether ... but surely anyone can see the potential he has?

If shooting and set-pieces were so easy it’s funny how so many apparent great players are hopeless at them eh?

RyeSloan
16-02-2019, 10:52 PM

Agree with most of that.

From the outset I was surprised at his inability to get around the pitch.

I thought at first it might just be his general fitness and it would improve as the season went on but he just seems to struggle to run effectively.

Hope I’m wrong and some work can be done to improve his mobility as for sure the boy has an unbelievable ability when it comes to passing and striking the ball.

Tornadoes70
16-02-2019, 11:58 PM
Great report as always.

Thought Hecky had them playing more purposefully, better organised and structured compared against recent weeks and months prior to his arrival.

Good all round performance today with all three points in the bag. Delighted.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Forza Fred
17-02-2019, 12:08 AM

Mark Milligan's nickname in Oz and what he answers to with his Socceroo team mates is....(drum roll...….)

MILLSY

Sproule Three
17-02-2019, 02:01 AM
Mark Milligan's nickname in Oz and what he answers to with his Socceroo team mates is....(drum roll...….)

MILLSY
And he answered to that when I shouted him over for a photo at Boyle’s Aus debut game in Sydney... as you witnessed 😉

CMurdoch
17-02-2019, 02:44 AM
I’ve read a few similar comments recently .. along the lines of Mallan ‘not being a footballer’ but also acknowledging that his footballing technique when it comes to shooting and set-pieces is pretty much second to none for a Scottish lad... a 22 year old Scottish lad.

People who say he’s not a footballer are probably beyond reasoning with. Probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read.

Is he getting the most out of his undoubted talent? Probably not, and he isn’t pulling it altogether ... but surely anyone can see the potential he has?

If shooting and set-pieces were so easy it’s funny how so many apparent great players are hopeless at them eh?

I think he has and is getting the most out of himself.
What he lacks as a player is not down to him in any way.
Through this own hard work and dedication, his skill at striking a football is second to none.
I also suspect his diligence to his fitness, diet etc is absolute.

The restriction for Stevie Mallan is with his god given natural athletic ability.
No amount of hard work can change that and i believe this will always hold him back.

He can and will improve as a player and i hope he can quickly become more effective for Hibs.

pacoluna
17-02-2019, 02:52 AM
Preston can't help himself. Suggesting that Hibs fans will be upset as NL clearly did nothing per the agreed statement.

It took Pat Bonnar (I think) to tell him that nobody gets suspended for nothing, and clearly there is a legal agreement meaning no disclosure.

Wee fud was banging on about how fans should be allowed to know what's going on if they contribute via HSL or FoH etc.

A wee fat fanny.

I'm guessing you disagree with him?

Your correct ofcourse.

Brooster
17-02-2019, 05:31 AM
Marciano concerns me. He spilled another easy shot but got away with it this time and his distribution was poor again.

we are hibs
17-02-2019, 05:49 AM
Marciano concerns me. He spilled another easy shot but got away with it this time and his distribution was poor again.

Bogdan is the better keeper; especially in bus distribution. but until marciano makes an arse of something he isn't going to be dropped. He had a good save second half at the post but I think he is a liability at times.

Fuzzywuzzy
17-02-2019, 06:10 AM
There's not a chance we're keeping bogdan and if the the press are to be believed we're after some Armenian lad

CallumLaidlaw
17-02-2019, 06:35 AM
There's not a chance we're keeping bogdan and if the the press are to be believed we're after some Armenian lad

We’ll be looking at bringing in another keeper but 100% not interested in the Armenian. Just his agent doing his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
17-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Thought Hamilton passed the ball well, much better than I've seen then, a couple of shots, but never threatened us much, felt we were in total control of the match yesterday. Slivka was immense, and thought Hanlon & McGregor were solid, much better.

Good to see manager hugging Kamberi after coming off, and even passing notes to players during game. Heckingbottom looks a very hands on manager, seen him clapping passages of play, and giving encouragement.

brog
17-02-2019, 08:26 AM

Good assessment. For me there's one major quality SM has which rarely gets commented on & that's his ability to find pockets of space about 20 to 25 yards out. I haven't seen yesterday's game yet but last week against Raith he was exceptional in that regard. People say he doesn't work hard enough but that ability also requires effort. Combine that with his awareness to get a shot away & we have the makings of a fine player there. He's well on track to be our highest scoring midfield player for about 30 years, despite NL's efforts to turn him into Dylan. Support from us can only help him.
PS Fine report John as ever.

JohnM1875
17-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Not because i agree.

Totally agree about Mallan. Can't believe a professional footballer can be as slow as he is. Borh pace and speed of thought. Thought he was abysmal yesterday.

Genuinely hate saying that. And he's young, so has youth on his side. He just confuses me. Obviously has potential, I just dunno.

calumhibee1
17-02-2019, 08:34 AM
Good assessment. For me there's one major quality SM has which rarely gets commented on & that's his ability to find pockets of space about 20 to 25 yards out. I haven't seen yesterday's game yet but last week against Raith he was exceptional in that regard. People say he doesn't work hard enough but that ability also requires effort. Combine that with his awareness to get a shot away & we have the makings of a fine player there. He's well on track to be our highest scoring midfield player for about 30 years, despite NL's efforts to turn him into Dylan. Support from us can only help him.
PS Fine report John as ever.

I thought he’s struggled for months now to find they pockets hence why the goals have dried up to an extent. Teams have got wise to him and make an effort not to allow him to find that space anymore IMO.

Eyrie
17-02-2019, 09:44 AM
I thought he’s struggled for months now to find they pockets hence why the goals have dried up to an extent. Teams have got wise to him and make an effort not to allow him to find that space anymore IMO.
It's up to our other players to exploit that focus on closing down Mallan by getting into the gaps left and up to Mallan to spot those opportunities and deliever the ball.

Hopefully it's something that Heckingbottom will work on in video analysis.

brog
17-02-2019, 01:41 PM

Against Raith he had 3 excellent efforts from about 20 yards out. His 1st in particular involved him getting a shot away quickly under pressure.

Shrekko
17-02-2019, 01:47 PM
I think he has and is getting the most out of himself.
What he lacks as a player is not down to him in any way.
Through this own hard work and dedication, his skill at striking a football is second to none.
I also suspect his diligence to his fitness, diet etc is absolute.

The restriction for Stevie Mallan is with his god given natural athletic ability.
No amount of hard work can change that and i believe this will always hold him back.

He can and will improve as a player and i hope he can quickly become more effective for Hibs.

I hear what you’re saying but...

If he can become a bit more streetwise and is even average at a lot of things he will still be an excellent player at this level. Midfield ‘production’.... goals, assists, chances created, long passing ..is utterly priceless in today’s game.

I really object to comments like ‘he’s never a fitbaw player’ from the keyboard Mourinho’s though. Totally inexplicable.

Heedersnvolleys
17-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Totally agree about Mallan. Can't believe a professional footballer can be as slow as he is. Borh pace and speed of thought. Thought he was abysmal yesterday.

Genuinely hate saying that. And he's young, so has youth on his side. He just confuses me. Obviously has potential, I just dunno.

I agree, I think it is not just his lack of pace and athletisism but he also seems to get caught on the hop so often, he seems to switch off and a guy with pace such as Boyle, who i think can also switch of at times he can recover because he has the pace to get back. That should be easier to fix than raw pace which is generally natural ut can e work on to improve.

JimBHibees
17-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Absolutely no where near abysmal. Some of his play and passing was very good and put in many excellent corners. He isnt the most athletic and probably not suited to a wider role however our central midfield players probably both had their best games this season so a fair enough decision to play him wider.

houstonhibbee
17-02-2019, 02:39 PM
I agree with you. Slivka has it just isn’t consistent enough. Mallon lacks control and is poor as a defensive mid. He needs to play further forwards as his main weapon is his shooting ability
milligan is classy

cmcd
17-02-2019, 03:13 PM
In my humble opinion Mallan is a very good footballer I appreciate he couldn't tackle a fish supper but other features of his game are top notch .I can remember a number of Hibs players who couldn't tackle Willie Hamilton my favourite Hibs player being one . Mallan is a young guy who I'm sure will improve given time .I can't believe people saying he was abysmal yesterday

CMurdoch
17-02-2019, 05:27 PM
I notice you refer to his shooting but don't actually mention the goals. He's our joint top scorer this season with 11 in 35 games which is a goal every 3 games, a good return for a midfielder I'd say.

People keep quoting the 11 goals Mallan has scored this season as a reason to keep him in the team.
This a red herring when judging his ability to score against any team above the 3rd bottom slot in the Scottish Premiership.

He scored
4 of our 12 goals against amateurs Runavic of the Faroe Islands
4 of our 12 in 3 games against Hamilton(2), St Mirren(1) & Dundee(1)
2 goals in the cup against lower league teams Elgin(1) & Ross County(1).

That leaves 1 goal scored against Kilmarnock on the 15th September 2018.

Since his early scoring spree opposing teams appear to have stopped giving away free kicks just outside their box and have made sure Mallan has been closed down from 25 yards in. As a result his goals from free kicks and shots have all but dried up and he appears powerless to overcome this.

Shrekko
17-02-2019, 08:31 PM
People keep quoting the 11 goals Mallan has scored this season as a reason to keep him in the team.
This a red herring when judging his ability to score against any team above the 3rd bottom slot in the Scottish Premiership.

He scored
4 of our 12 goals against amateurs Runavic of the Faroe Islands
4 of our 12 in 3 games against Hamilton(2), St Mirren(1) & Dundee(1)
2 goals in the cup against lower league teams Elgin(1) & Ross County(1).

That leaves 1 goal scored against Kilmarnock on the 15th September 2018.

Since his early scoring spree opposing teams appear to have stopped giving away free kicks just outside their box and have made sure Mallan has been closed down from 25 yards in. As a result his goals from free kicks and shots have all but dried up and he appears powerless to overcome this.

Our other joint top scorer has scored most of his goals v Icelanders, bottom 3 and lower league teams too. Tends to be the way it is at a club like Hibs.

I think you’re being overly harsh now.

Smartie
17-02-2019, 09:54 PM
I agree with you. Slivka has it just isn’t consistent enough. Mallon lacks control and is poor as a defensive mid. He needs to play further forwards as his main weapon is his shooting ability
milligan is classy

Slivka's been in and out of the team, stuck out wide etc etc and that doesn't lend itself to consistent performances.

Since about the start of December he's been played consistently in the middle of the park and lo and behold, his consistency has improved.

Even Slivka's harshest critics would have to accept that he's been consistent over the past dozen games - games home and away and against the weaker and stronger teams in the league.

He's risen to the challenge.