PDA

View Full Version : Villa and John McGinn

Jim44
16-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Another defeat for A Villa today. Little chance of progress for them but where does it place J McG.? I haven’t really followed his progress lately, but, does he try to move on to bigger things or has he found his level in the English leagues?

Callum_62
16-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Another defeat for A Villa today. Little chance of progress for them but where does it place J McG.? I haven’t really followed his progress lately, but, does he try to move on to bigger things or has he found his level in the English leagues?

Few games ive seen and the analysis from the panel suggests hes been one of the signings of the season

Definitely good enough for epl

Wasnt the sell on clause rumour we get £1 million if they go up OR 10% of the sell on fee

Cant see him going for any less than £10 million down there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
16-02-2019, 07:44 PM

John was loyal to Hibs when we didn’t get promoted. Can’t see him jumping ship unless Villa want to sell

MWHIBBIES
16-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Didn't abandon Hibs, won't abandon them when they're paying him 10x what we were.

Callum_62
16-02-2019, 07:53 PM
John was loyal to Hibs when we didn’t get promoted. Can’t see him jumping ship unless Villa want to sell

Could probably triple his wages in EPL though

That should be his aim - maybe not end of this year but next year definitely

He’s getting very good reviews at the minute (always going in about how low the fee was), he might think its wise to try and move when his stock is high

Hibernia&Alba
16-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Haven't seen him at Villa, but it's a very big club with a great history, and I would never begrudge him such a move. If he ever decides to move back to Scotland, I would love to see him return here.

Tynie01011973
16-02-2019, 08:10 PM

He’s getting very good reviews at the minute (always going in about how low the fee was), he might think its wise to try and move when his stock is high

Don't think J McGinn is the type to push for a move.

However, if AV fail to go up and receive a sizable bid from an EPL club then I can see them taking the money

Lancs Harp
16-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Don't think J McGinn is the type to push for a move.

However, if AV fail to go up and receive a sizable bid from an EPL club then I can see them taking the money

The way they fought to keep hold of Grealish I would doubt that. Villa are very much work in progress, they wont make a serious challenge this season IMO but they will progress over the next season or so. I think John will play at least 2 seasons at Villa.

Ozyhibby
16-02-2019, 08:39 PM
I think Villa have conceded more goals than any other club in England this season.

Swedish hibee
16-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Fans love him down there- he's one of the very few in the current team they wouldn't get rid of.

Jonnyboy
16-02-2019, 09:01 PM
I watch Villa a lot as SKY seem to televise most of their games.

Defensively they are shocking (John Terry's influence maybe :greengrin) and they sorely miss Jack Grealish in midfield. SJM is a bright beacon for them and it still tugs at my heart strings every time I hear the Villa fans singing the McGinn song.

SJM is always singled out for praise by commentators and pundits alike and I've no doubt he'll get a move to the Premiership at some point.

hibsbollah
16-02-2019, 09:02 PM

Defensively they are shocking (John Terry's influence maybe :greengrin) and they sorely miss Jack Grealish in midfield. SJM is a bright beacon for them and it still tugs at my heart strings every time I hear the Villa fans singing the McGinn song.

SJM is always singled out for praise by commentators and pundits alike and I've no doubt he'll get a move to the Premiership at some point.

I believe their keeper has made a lot of mistakes too.

Jonnyboy
16-02-2019, 09:03 PM
I believe their keeper has made a lot of mistakes too.

True :agree:

Mibbes Aye
16-02-2019, 09:05 PM

:agree:

I've caught quite a few of the Villa games and from what I've seen he is playing a lot higher up the field than he did for us.

He's got the ability to play there and he has decent players behind him in midfield.

I expect a Premiership team to pick him up at some point - he's probably akin to Fletcher and Whittaker, he will get a move and if he flourishes he will stick around the first XI.

skyehibee
16-02-2019, 09:48 PM
They tend to keep trying to play him AM when he really should be CM. Probably explains why they keep losing.

Hamish
16-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Most Villa fans seem to absolve SJM of any blame for their poor form.

Got booked today and now misses 2 games.

ancient hibee
16-02-2019, 09:51 PM
He’s as well to play as far away from that defence as possible.

Smartie
16-02-2019, 10:10 PM
He’s as well to play as far away from that defence as possible.

The defence is an abomination.

I cannot believe a club of that size cannot find a better pair of centre halves and goalkeeper.

They have a lot of talent elsewhere in their team, so that Achilles heel has cost them many millions by removing their chance of promotion.

Sheep_Nae_Mair
16-02-2019, 10:57 PM
I've checked the Villa MOTM poll on Villatalk every week since J McG joined them. He's been either top or second most weeks and never been lower than third.

pacorosssco
17-02-2019, 12:23 AM
Will only improve down there even if team out of sorts.not sure new manager will last though as results not improving. Wish him well no matter what

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-02-2019, 12:39 AM
Villa lose far too many goals and they fail to win enough. Not a chance McGinn will be premoted this season.

SouthMoroccoStu
17-02-2019, 07:36 AM
SJM must be attracting premier league interest

Hopefully he gets a big move and we’ll get our sell on % soon

ScottB
17-02-2019, 08:15 AM
If Spurs come back for Grealish I’d think they’d want to keep SJM, who’d then be the main man next season, potentially attracting similar interest.

Wasn’t it around the £30million mark when Spurs failed to land him? McGinn could easily end up in that price range.

K.Marx
17-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Given the high regard he’s held in in that league already, and the prices championship players are going for now. They would easy get 20m for him in the summer if they wanted to sell. They won’t though, and I can’t see him forcing through a move.

It’s good news for Scottish football though that he’s gone down there and really made an impression. Paterson at Cardiff as well.

SMAXXA
17-02-2019, 08:48 AM
We have 15% sell on I think it is

Callum_62
17-02-2019, 09:33 AM
If Spurs come back for Grealish I’d think they’d want to keep SJM, who’d then be the main man next season, potentially attracting similar interest.

Wasn’t it around the £30million mark when Spurs failed to land him? McGinn could easily end up in that price range.

Wasnt it nearer £40 million? [emoji33]

emerald green
17-02-2019, 10:40 AM
Just a guess, but if AV fail to win promotion this season, I think McGinn will move to Celtic. Hopefully not.

K.Marx
17-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Just a guess, but if AV fail to win promotion this season, I think McGinn will move to Celtic. Hopefully not.

He is well out of Celtics price range now. They missed their chance.

Keith_M
17-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Villa are a very large club and really should be in the top league. I think McGinn will have seen that potential and not make any hasty decisions about leaving them.

I also think if the club tried to sell him, there'd be open revolt in the support.

Keith_M
17-02-2019, 10:50 AM
He is well out of Celtics price range now. They missed their chance.

Have to agree, there's no way they'd now pay over ten million if they previously tried to get him on the cheap.

IWasThere2016
17-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Spoke to a Villa ST holder in Tenerife and he says SJM has been immense. Best signing since Milner he said.. confirming a thought I've held for a bit that SJM could play in front of Robertson for Liverpool. He's that good IMHO.

Kaff
17-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Villa are a very large club and really should be in the top league. I think McGinn will have seen that potential and not make any hasty decisions about leaving them.

I also think if the club tried to sell him, there'd be open revolt in the support.

Don't know the detail of it but Villa are in 8n danger of coming a cropper under Financial Fair Play rules if they don't go up, lost a packet last season and new owners went for bust this season by keeping Grealish.
May be if the sell him they'll be OK and not need to cash in JMc but wouldn't surprise me they're both liable to be sold?

hfc rd
17-02-2019, 12:52 PM
SJM must be attracting premier league interest

Hopefully he gets a big move and we’ll get our sell on % soon

I won’t be surprised if that move happens this summer, especially if they don’t get promotion which looks very likely.

Callum_62
17-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Spoke to a Villa ST holder in Tenerife and he says SJM has been immense. Best signing since Milner he said.. confirming a thought I've held for a bit that SJM could play in front of Robertson for Liverpool. He's that good IMHO.

No chance hed dislodge Andy Robertson from wing back

hibeemikey21
17-02-2019, 03:20 PM
No chance hed dislodge Andy Robertson from wing back

Think he means ahead of him positionally; I.e. on the left side of midfield

Is It On....
17-02-2019, 03:26 PM

Just picked up his 10th booking of the season. Apparently been the star man for Villa this season and the fans love his commitment.

Hermit Crab
17-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Villa are crap even with McGinn. They are underachievers on a regular basis.

Baggie192
17-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Didn't abandon Hibs, won't abandon them when they're paying him 10x what we were.

The Problem with Vile started with O'Neil and continued when Xia bought them, and, that's Massive overspending. They're are going to have harsh FFP sanctions next year as as they are 6ps behind boro who have a game in hand on them. Their season's over and they needed go up

Their third best player behind Abrahams and Mings. So, best player they actually own. He needs to show more for the Prem though. He needs to prove himself next season