PDA

View Full Version : Formation and tactics

leithsansiro
16-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Obviously, welcome to our new manager and all that.

Anyone know what tactics/formations he’s typucslly used in the past with Barnsley and Leeds?

04Sauzee
16-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Anyone know what tactics/formations he’s typucslly used in the past with Barnsley and Leeds?

Loads of interviews with him since he has come in saying how he wants to play. There is a great podcast done by not the top 20 where they interview him and he gives an insight on how he likes his team's to play. It's all out there

Vault Boy
16-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Really interested to see his selection and shape today, particularly in the midfield. 'High press tactics' is a blanket term that covers a whole lot of different styles, from the bottom of the scale, Terry Butcher, headless chicken variety, all the way up to the Jurgen Klopp approach.

I don't know what we can expect in terms of the formation or how he wants us to build phases of play, but we will certainly be playing with high energy and tight marking from the sounds of it.

ancient hibee
16-02-2019, 12:20 PM
We’ll play the same as we did last week.

Billy Whizz
16-02-2019, 12:24 PM
We’ll play the same as we did last week.

Don’t think it will be too far away, providing we’ve no fresh injuries

ancient hibee
16-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Don’t think it will be too far away, providing we’ve no fresh injuries
Probably be some new walking wounded right enough.

Vini1875
16-02-2019, 12:37 PM
There is no way to have a clue until about 20 minutes in and the players settle into the game. Football people talk is just nonsensical cliches it seems at times :- there are plenty of legs in the team, lots of energy, high intensity, tough to beat etc. The same could be said by any manager in the country. They don't want to tell us anything because our opponents are also listening and no manager is going to say half my players are chicken hearted so I'm going to play six at the back and pray we don't lose a goal, hoof it up to a single forward and pray he can magic something out of nothing, while I'll stand on the touch line making all sorts of hand gestures that nobody but me understands. Keep the high balls low and the long balls short.

heretoday
16-02-2019, 12:48 PM
They'll need to be a lot fitter to maintain a high press for ninety minutes. It's a great idea though.

AgentDaleCooper
16-02-2019, 01:00 PM
from what i've read we'll be playing 1-1-8 with a last-man-back goalie, and capital punishment for anyone who stops running :aok:

:flag::flag::flag:

Tyler Durden
16-02-2019, 01:05 PM

I think longer term he’ll want to play a 4-2-3-1 or variation of that. I would imagine one of Kamberi or McNulty need to adjust to playing from a wide role later in the season.

For now you’d think he’ll stick with the diamond until he’s assessed the players a bit more.

If Agyepong can get fit it really makes a big difference to the system we could play.

therealgavmac
16-02-2019, 01:15 PM
............half my players are chicken hearted so I'm going to play six at the back and pray we don't lose a goal, hoof it up to a single forward and pray he can magic something out of nothing, while I'll stand on the touch line making all sorts of hand gestures that nobody but me understands.

Mr Levein, is that you :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
16-02-2019, 01:17 PM
I think longer term he’ll want to play a 4-2-3-1 or variation of that. I would imagine one of Kamberi or McNulty need to adjust to playing from a wide role later in the season.

For now you’d think he’ll stick with the diamond until he’s assessed the players a bit more.

If Agyepong can get fit it really makes a big difference to the system we could play.

I think one thing he will do is have players playing in their right position. None of this moving a striker out wide etc.

The Modfather
16-02-2019, 01:17 PM
We might get some indication today of how he wants us to play but likely to be far too early to get any real insight. Saying that, and it was with the benefit of a preseason, but didn’t Mowbray change our style overnight with largely the same players?

J-C
16-02-2019, 01:39 PM
I think one thing he will do is have players playing in their right position. None of this moving a striker out wide etc.

Yea no having strikers like Sane, Salah, Rashford, Lingard, Martial, etc playing out wide and being wasted.

SChibs
16-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Yea no having strikers like Sane, Salah, Rashford, Lingard, Martial, etc playing out wide and being wasted.

I'd only class 2 of the players you mentioned as strikers to be honest

BoomtownHibees
16-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Sane - not a striker
Salah - Can play anywhere across the front line
Rashford - Young, athletic guy that can play across the front line
Lingard - not a striker
Martial - Can play anywhere up front and has adapted well to a system where he wouldn’t play as a lone striker

Would I want Kamberi moving to play out wide? No chance. McNulty? Maybe if there weren’t any other options

J-C
16-02-2019, 01:51 PM
I'd only class 2 of the players you mentioned as strikers to be honest

All these plus most of Arsenal and Man City attackers can play left, right or through the middle, they don't play as strikers but just attacking players. More versatile and interchangeable.

What about Son or Dele Alli, strikers or attackers? We get to het up about what a striker actually is, Riordan is the perfect example of a versatile attacker who can play anywhere across the front line.

BoomtownHibees
16-02-2019, 01:52 PM
All these plus most of Arsenal and Man City attackers can play left, right or through the middle, they don't play as strikers but just attacking players. More versatile and interchangeable.

What about Son or Dele Alli, strikers or attackers? We get to het up about what a striker actually is, Riordan is the perfect example of a versatile attacker who can play anywhere across the front line.

And would you class Flo or Mcnulty as one of these versatile players?

J-C
16-02-2019, 01:56 PM
And would you class Flo or Mcnulty as one of these versatile players?

Not right now but with some coaching possibly yes, not seen enough of Mc Nulty but you've seen Flo and Shaw move out wide to collect balls and put in crosses, it's the way a forward player should play, not just a rigid striker playing solely through the middle. If Boyle was fit would you not love to see a front 3 of Sparky, Flo and Boyle.😁

Tyler Durden
16-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Sane - not a striker
Salah - Can play anywhere across the front line
Rashford - Young, athletic guy that can play across the front line
Lingard - not a striker
Martial - Can play anywhere up front and has adapted well to a system where he wouldn’t play as a lone striker

Would I want Kamberi moving to play out wide? No chance. McNulty? Maybe if there weren’t any other options

Wasn’t intended to hijack the thread with my comment!

If we looked back on Hibs examples, we had Riordan, Fletcher, Benji who were alll examples of players who could perform well starting from a wide position. Kamberi for me could easily play wide left.

The only reason I mentioned it, is that most successful teams play a variation of 4-3-3 with one recognised number 9. They do that for a reason, it’s the most effective and well balanced system to play. It follows that ideally Heckingbottom would favour that formation IMO.

Without Boyle we’re short of wide players so it wouldn’t surprise me if we tried one of the forwards in a wider role. In the short term he’ll go with the diamond and 2 up front because it does seem best balanced for this squad who are currently fit