View Full Version : Robbie Stockdale

Peevemor
14-02-2019, 08:54 AM
He's been largely ignored in all this.

What do we know of him?

Thoughts?

Smartie
14-02-2019, 08:56 AM
He was highly thought of at Sunderland and survived a few regime changes there.

I'm sure he had one of their younger teams unbeaten for a year there. Good at developing players.

Heckingbottom was keen to get him away from Sunderland but I'm sure he said in his interview that Moyes didn't let him go.

SquashedFrogg
14-02-2019, 09:09 AM
He's been largely ignored in all this.

What do we know of him?

Thoughts?

Was thinking the same earlier. He's been overlooked a little in all the chat. I've no real justification but I think he could be just as important as PH. Seems to know what he's about and what he's doing. For another young coach, he's already amassed quite a bit of experience.

Northernhibee
14-02-2019, 09:14 AM
It’s ideal, two young hungry coaches that will help get our youngsters into the first team. Fantastic. Hopefully no more ageing journeymen the end of their career with no future value.

Tremendous.

Stevie Reid
14-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Definitely feel good that they've arrived as a pair - had he been appointed with no assistant I would have felt less assured.

hibsfan7
14-02-2019, 09:22 AM
I can see a similar pattern to when mowbray and venus took over at hibs
i hope i am right

Stevie Reid
14-02-2019, 09:27 AM
I can see a similar pattern to when mowbray and venus took over at hibs
i hope i am right

I hope so too, though IIRC Mowbray was appointed and then took a wee while to choose Venus.

Pretty Boy
14-02-2019, 09:31 AM
He probably came out of the Netflix Sunderland documentary better than most.

Like Heckingbottom I know nothing much about him so they both have a clean slate with no preconceptions from me. Hopefully a few others come round to that way of thinking as the reactions I have been have been depressingly hysterical in their negativity.

JeMeSouviens
14-02-2019, 09:31 AM
I can't believe someone managed to get 5 caps for Scotland and I haven't heard of him. :confused:

JeMeSouviens
14-02-2019, 09:33 AM
He probably came out of the Netflix Sunderland documentary better than most.

Like Heckingbottom I know nothing much about him so they both have a clean slate with no preconceptions from me. Hopefully a few others come round to that way of thinking as the reactions I have been have been depressingly hysterical in their negativity.

Read this about 3 times and thought you were suggesting some kind of coaching blind date was going on here ... must need more coffee.

green day
14-02-2019, 09:38 AM
I can't believe someone managed to get 5 caps for Scotland and I haven't heard of him. :confused:

It was as part of Bertie Vogts scattergun approach to International selection.

TBH, I am slightly disappointed that I was never selected :greengrin

banchoryhibs
14-02-2019, 09:42 AM
One positive is that we have not had to pay any compensation to land either Stockdale or Heckingbottom.

Leitherhibs
14-02-2019, 10:00 AM
He was very highly regarded at Sunderland, particularly by David Moyes, who I think tried to take him to West Ham, and, as others have said, came across well in Sunderland documentary.

A friend of a friend did their coaching badges with Robbie and I remember him saying that he really excelled on that particular cohort, he was very surprised that Robbie hadn't been picked up by another club after Jack Ross let him go to bring in his own regime in the summer. I think he's a really big coup for the club, possibly dare I say it, a bigger coup than PH himself.

Hibbyradge
14-02-2019, 10:03 AM
It was as part of Bertie Vogts scattergun approach to International selection.

TBH, I am slightly disappointed that I was never selected :greengrin

I got called up to the squad for a game, but I had to feign injury because we had an important game coming up against the Clerry Inn.

green day
14-02-2019, 10:08 AM
He was very highly regarded at Sunderland, particularly by David Moyes, who I think tried to take him to West Ham, and, as others have said, came across well in Sunderland documentary.

A friend of a friend did their coaching badges with Robbie and I remember him saying that he really excelled on that particular cohort, he was very surprised that Robbie hadn't been picked up by another club after Jack Ross let him go to bring in his own regime in the summer. I think he's a really big coup for the club, possibly dare I say it, a bigger coup than PH himself.

In PH Hibs tv interview, he talks about a structure where either he or RS should be interchangeable, working in the same direction, and able to talk the team through the same tactics and aims.

Its simply good management, to be honest.

In any business, if the team cant perform, or fails because the "figurehead" is away, off sick, leaves etc its not been set up well in the first place.

A good manager sets his teams up in order that they should be able to operate almost without the boss, everyone knows whats expected of them, doesnt need to defer to anyone and that allows people to grow and achieve.

Some bosses dont understand that, let their egos get in the way and think micromanagement is what its about. Some staff find that hard as they have spent their entire career being told what to do.

PH sounds like he knows his stuff, lets hope it shows on the park.

LancsHibs
14-02-2019, 10:10 AM

I think they were all friendly fixtures so he can still claim allegiance to the country of his birth and play for England

Leitherhibs
14-02-2019, 10:21 AM
In PH Hibs tv interview, he talks about a structure where either he or RS should be interchangeable, working in the same direction, and able to talk the team through the same tactics and aims.

In any business, if the team cant perform, or fails because the "figurehead" is away, off sick, leaves etc its not been set up well in the first place.

A good manager sets his teams up in order that they should be able to operate almost without the boss, everyone knows whats expected of them, doesnt need to defer to anyone and that allows people to grow and achieve.

Some bosses dont understand that, let their egos get in the way and think micromanagement is what its about. Some staff find that hard as they have spent their entire career being told what to do.

Couldn't agree more buddie. Obviously a fair bit down the road yet, and early days but I could certainly see a scenario whereby when PH leaves (hopefully after a very successful spell in charge) that RS would take the head coach role, if that's what he wants. Very shrewd acquisitions by the club both of them, fit perfectly into our current structure and match our future ambitions.

My hope is that all the neighsayers give them both the time they deserve, in spite of them not being the names they wanted, I fear if we don't make top 6 this season that might not be the case. Timing is crucial in football.

neil7908
14-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Totally agree with this. I appreciate football doesn't work the same as most jobs but that still holds for me, regardless of the industry.

Teams that are built around one individual at the top may well have success but usually struggle when that person leaves as there is no one to fill the void.

The structure being proposed here makes so much sense thinking about the clubs long term stability.

One Day Soon
14-02-2019, 10:26 AM

That's because they were all in the Bertie Vogts "Does anyone in the bar fancy a game tomorrow? There's a Scotland cap in it for you" era.

Not sure he was really too hot as a player but that's never counted against the very best managers and coaches.

delbert
14-02-2019, 10:48 AM

There’s quite a few who got a lot more caps for Scotland that I seriously wish I hadn’t heard of !!

Stevie Reid
14-02-2019, 10:50 AM
Stockdale was playing for a team that finished 11th in the Premiership in the year that he was capped by Scotland.

Spudster
14-02-2019, 11:26 AM
That's because they were all in the Bertie Vogts "Does anyone in the bar fancy a game tomorrow? There's a Scotland cap in it for you" era.

Not sure he was really too hot as a player but that's never counted against the very best managers and coaches.

In Berti's defense he had to start from scratch after the mess Craig Brown left. We had guys playing qualifiers for under Brown who hadn't had a club in months. Note I don't mean "games at a club" I mean free agents for months!

Gmack7
14-02-2019, 12:16 PM
I got called up to the squad for a game, but I had to feign injury because we had an important game coming up against the Clerry Inn.

you probably didnt need to feign injury after that game😁

BullsCloseHibs
14-02-2019, 12:19 PM
It’s ideal, two young hungry coaches that will help get our youngsters into the first team. Fantastic. Hopefully no more ageing journeymen the end of their career with no future value.

Tremendous.

Totally agree. I'd also add, ageing journeymen who usually didn't even play week to week. Waste of money. Here's hoping we now go with young players eager to make a name and who want to progress!

So excited about this new regime. Hail hail the Hibs are here 🎶🎵😁

Lago
14-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Was thinking the same earlier. He's been overlooked a little in all the chat. I've no real justification but I think he could be just as important as PH. Seems to know what he's about and what he's doing. For another young coach, he's already amassed quite a bit of experience.
I think you've hit the nail on the head!

H18S NX
14-02-2019, 12:24 PM
you probably didnt need to feign injury after that game😁....I remember when the clerie closed at 2.30 on saturday we used to go onto drumbrea to play 30 a side for a couple of hours,happy days.

3pm
14-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Good YouTube interview with him today.

RIP
14-02-2019, 09:51 PM
....I remember when the clerie closed at 2.30 on saturday we used to go onto drumbrea to play 30 a side for a couple of hours,happy days.

I always regretted living in Parkgrove Crescent as we ended up drinking at the Barnton Hotel with a posse of Jambos. Mind you before Craigmount School was built, Tynecastle School was where laddies went. Barnton Thistle pinched a few good footballers from Clerrie Hearts.

Gmack7
15-02-2019, 05:52 AM
I always regretted living in Parkgrove Crescent as we ended up drinking at the Barnton Hotel with a posse of Jambos. Mind you before Craigmount School was built, Tynecastle School was where laddies went. Barnton Thistle pinched a few good footballers from Clerrie Hearts.

a large % of the clientele are hibbys now, Good pub aswell,

Phil MaGlass
15-02-2019, 11:16 AM

I lived in Parkgrove Crescent most ma life, brilliant street at the time, drank at the Clerie and now and again the Rainbow.