PDA

View Full Version : Declan Rice

PatHead
13-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Has chosen to play for England after playing for Ireland in 3 friendlies.

Just doesn't seem right.

Joe6-2
13-02-2019, 08:32 PM
It's not! He will struggle to get caps for England

Leitherhibs
13-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Can’t get my head around it being acceptable for players to change their nation after 3 caps for another, even in non competitive fixtures, I think it’s a ridiculous rule. Another to thank Mr Blatter for I suspect.

CMurdoch
13-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Has chosen to play for England after playing for Ireland in 3 friendlies.

Just doesn't seem right.

:greengrin Serves them right for nicking McGeady and McCarthy of us

cabbageandribs1875
13-02-2019, 09:15 PM
huge gamble that, with englands 379002371 million players he might end up just getting the one appearance in international football, if that

Tyler Durden
13-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Seems like a genuine kid, pretty humble from interviews I've seen. A good letter to explain his decision in some detail.

Good luck to him.

easty
13-02-2019, 09:35 PM
He’s English. Should never have played for Ireland.

Swedish hibee
13-02-2019, 09:38 PM
No that's not right for me either. You play for one country only.

bigwheel
13-02-2019, 09:40 PM

I think he'll do that. By never getting picked for England ! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
13-02-2019, 09:45 PM
He’s a fantastic player. I think him and Winks will be solid in the centre mid for England.

CmoantheHibs
13-02-2019, 09:50 PM
From all that I've heard ( which isn't a great deal tbh) the boy feels Irish but because of greater and more lucrative prospects has plumped for england . On a side note there is another thread about a leeds player eunan okeefe and on his wiki page i noticed he playeed for ni up until 21s then switched to roi at 21s then full caps.no idea if its legit or not.

ian cruise
13-02-2019, 09:54 PM

I wonder if that was part of the reason behind the decision. Maybe he chose Ireland as he knew he'd be capped but once he began joining up with squads realised it just didn't feel right?

I do agree it should be one country but I'd be more cynical should it have been the other way round. The choice he's made will make future international football less likely.

SMAXXA
13-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Seems like a genuine kid, pretty humble from interviews I've seen. A good letter to explain his decision in some detail.

Good luck to him.

Agree with this

Mibbes Aye
13-02-2019, 10:24 PM
I wonder if that was part of the reason behind the decision. Maybe he chose Ireland as he knew he'd be capped but once he began joining up with squads realised it just didn't feel right?

I do agree it should be one country but I'd be more cynical should it have been the other way round. The choice he's made will make future international football less likely.

His statement, assuming he came up with it, was reasoned, articulate and balanced.

Re his England chances, he's in with a shout and I expect he will move on from West Ham before too long.

jgl07
13-02-2019, 11:39 PM
His statement, assuming he came up with it, was reasoned, articulate and balanced.

Re his England chances, he's in with a shout and I expect he will move on from West Ham before too long.

He appears to be on the radar of Manchester City as a possible long-term replacement for Fernandinho.

CMurdoch
13-02-2019, 11:43 PM
He appears to be on the radar of Manchester City as a possible long-term replacement for Fernandinho.

Wow! Must be good.

Colr
14-02-2019, 05:07 AM

Alfredo di Stefano played for 3.

LustForLeith
14-02-2019, 05:43 AM
I would love to have been a fly on the wall if he’d told the Repulbic Of Ireland management his decision when Roy Keane was still there.

Winston Ingram
14-02-2019, 05:50 AM
It's not! He will struggle to get caps for England

He won’t. Have you seen him play?

Winston Ingram
14-02-2019, 05:54 AM

This.

He qualifies through grandparents. The more players that do this to Ireland the better.

They should concentrate on developing players in their own country rather than hanging about kids in other countries trying to convince them to do something they’re not sure they want to do.

Nameless
14-02-2019, 06:26 AM
I'm delighted someone has done this to Ireland, given the players they have poached from Scotland over the years.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Austinho
14-02-2019, 06:44 AM
I mean, he was born in England and raised in England to an English mother, so can’t fault him for choosing to play for England really. The question I have is should the rule that let him play for Ireland have ever existed? Is having an Irish grandparent a strong enough connection to play for a country you’ve never lived in? Or should the country that raised you, shaped you and gave you your opportunites be entitled to and get first choice in playing you?

Of course in this diverse world, lots of people have dual nationalities. And in lots of cultures who for whatever reason struggle to integrate in countries they emigrate to, nationality is often a feeling rather than a fact. So it’s an ethical dilemma for FIFA to decide who can play for what country. Rice has been involved with the Ireland team since U16 level, so does that mean he owes them a commitment for the rest of his career? Maybe. I’d be raging if it happened to Scotland to be fair. I do think they should abolish the rule where friendlies don’t count - don’t think it’s cool to change countries once you already have a cap and it certainly muddies the waters.

Where I definitely have an issue is the likes of the Diego Costa situation - born and raised in Brazil, 2 appearances in friendlies for Brazil, yet only 5 years of living in Spain as an adult and gaining residency was enough for him to switch allegiances.

MWHIBBIES
14-02-2019, 07:11 AM
The basmati Busquets.

allezsauzee
14-02-2019, 07:14 AM
A lot of people willing to pontificate on the matter without knowing the lad's motivations. I don't either but might it be possible that he has always wanted to play for England but just never thought until now that it would be possible?

calumb
14-02-2019, 07:53 AM
A lot of people willing to pontificate on the matter without knowing the lad's motivations. I don't either but might it be possible that he has always wanted to play for England but just never thought until now that it would be possible?

Yes listening to the lad I think that is correct. Part of the problem is that Ireland almost aggressively target young eligible players which was demonstrated recently with a cap given to a young Nigerian lad from Southampton who has an international cap while only having a handful of first team appearances. The lad was put under a lot of pressure to commit.
Rice at least has been able to step back and make the decision that feels right for him.
James McCarthy was another the Irish put under a lot of pressure and he too had to endure a will he wont he media circus

hibsbollah
14-02-2019, 08:01 AM
I cant understand the need to criticise a player in this situation.
Some of the criticism seems to be along the lines of 'I have a different national identity to Declan Rice, what a bassa he must be':rolleyes:
Identity is a complicated thing. I could play for 4 international teams, if i was any good.

OsloHibs
14-02-2019, 12:04 PM
He pulled on the shirt and sang the national anthem in friendlies, so he made his choice as far as I'm concerned. So are we saying friendly games don't count? So does Wayne Rooney get goals taken off his total as some of these were scored in friendlies?

Swedish hibee
14-02-2019, 12:09 PM
He pulled on the shirt and sang the national anthem in friendlies, so he made his choice as far as I'm concerned. So are we saying friendly games don't count? So does Wayne Rooney get goals taken off his total as some of these were scored in friendlies?

Your spending far too much time in the law courts! I agree once your in the senior team- the choice has been made.

HoboHarry
14-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Some of the criticism seems to be along the lines of 'I have a different national identity to Declan Rice, what a bassa he must be':rolleyes:
Identity is a complicated thing. I could play for 4 international teams, if i was any good.
My kids were in the same boat as you mate - they could have chosen from Scotland, England, USA and Germany. I'm quite sure my son would have chosen the USA while my daughter would have chosen Scotland.....

HoboHarry
14-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Like it or not, the initial friendlies don't count, hence he has the ability to change now....

silverhibee
14-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Are you not a 1/4 Scottish. :greengrin

hibsbollah
14-02-2019, 07:16 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/feb/14/declan-rice-england-republic-of-ireland-identity

"there needs to be a much more mature attitude in football towards players who have dual nationality and respect their choices as legitimate choices without the cynical perception that comes with it" says it all for me really.