PDA

View Full Version : Rangers on 21st May 2016

Monts
12-02-2019, 02:40 PM
I know nobody here likes talking about that day :wink:, but I just had a conversation about that day with a couple of guys at work. During the chat one of them had suggested we didn't play any top teams on the way to winning the cup. They other guy suggested that they were all top flight teams except Raith. I had said that rangers weren't, but he argued that they had already been promoted by the time the game was played. I couldn't decide if he was right.

So is he right? Were they technically a top flight team when we played them? Or is there a specific day when the promoted and relegated teams actually move?

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 02:45 PM
I know nobody here likes talking about that day :wink:, but I just had a conversation about that day with a couple of guys at work. During the chat one of them had suggested we didn't play any top teams on the way to winning the cup. They other guy suggested that they were all top flight teams except Raith. I had said that rangers weren't, but he argued that they had already been promoted by the time the game was played. I couldn't decide if he was right.

So is he right? Were they technically a top flight team when we played them? Or is there a specific day when the promoted and relegated teams actually move?

The greatest Scottish Cup winning story of all time. The stuff of legend. Glorious.

ahibby
12-02-2019, 02:47 PM
The greatest Scottish Cup winning story of all time. The stuff of legend. Glorious.

I'm sure it's on record as being a final consisting of two teams from the second tier. Anyone confirm?

Carheenlea
12-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Two teams from the championship - that Rangers won the league and were promoted doesn’t really change that fact. Think it might have been the first time the cup final was contested between two lower league clubs?

JeMeSouviens
12-02-2019, 02:51 PM
I'm sure it's on record as being a final consisting of two teams from the second tier. Anyone confirm?

It was certainly reported as that at the time. Hibs also the only team ever to reach both cup finals in the same season while in the 2nd tier.

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2019, 02:55 PM

First time on record for two teams from the Championship competing in the final of Scotland’s premier Cup competition
Unfortunately for The Rangers they met two top clubs in the Scottish Cup that season Celtic and Hibernian Football Club
Still without a Scottish Cup win since their formation in 2012
They let their club die but refuse to admit it

Famous Fiver
12-02-2019, 02:55 PM
What was the score?

howdenthehibby
12-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Are there any videos ?

JeMeSouviens
12-02-2019, 04:47 PM
Are there any videos ?

"Aw naw" :wink:

lyonhibs
12-02-2019, 04:48 PM
All I know is that Andy Halliday had it under control and that was my cue to turn off the telly.

Stantons Angel
12-02-2019, 05:01 PM

You are correct!

They are not champions till the seasons games are over.

LancsHibs
12-02-2019, 05:26 PM
Scottish cup 2015-16. That season the Rangers were a championship club, as were Hibs so the final was contest by 2,championship clubs and the best team won😁

AltheHibby
12-02-2019, 05:41 PM
I remember we were 2-0 down to a big team from the top league. Didn't we get back level and get a money-spinning replay?

snedzuk
12-02-2019, 05:44 PM
It's the rangers

HibbySpurs
12-02-2019, 06:10 PM
All I know is that Andy Halliday had it under control and that was my cue to turn off the telly.

🤣🤣🤣

Sir David Gray
12-02-2019, 06:21 PM

Who are Rangers?

Eyrie
12-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Who are Rangers?
Who were Rangers surely?

Sir David Gray
12-02-2019, 08:25 PM
Who were Rangers surely?

Good point actually.

jacomo
12-02-2019, 08:32 PM

:agree:

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 08:53 PM
"Aw naw" :wink:

:tee hee:

BullsCloseHibs
12-02-2019, 08:54 PM

They still had the second biggest budget in the country, by a mile. And we still pumped them 😁

Hibernian Verse
12-02-2019, 09:02 PM
All I know is that Andy Halliday had it under control and that was my cue to turn off the telly.From my daily German media sources I believe you did, in fact, watch the rest of the game.

I think it was German...French maybe?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
12-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Does anyone have the video of the Glaswegian workie going mental a couple days after it?

nonshinyfinish
12-02-2019, 09:36 PM
From my daily German media sources I believe you did, in fact, watch the rest of the game.

I think it was German...French maybe?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Right the first time: https://www.11freunde.de/video/dieser-einsame-hibernians-fan-im-exil-gehoert-umarmt-von-der-ganzen-welt

:flag:

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 09:42 PM
Right the first time: https://www.11freunde.de/video/dieser-einsame-hibernians-fan-im-exil-gehoert-umarmt-von-der-ganzen-welt

:flag:

Like, Like and Love.

FranckSuzy
12-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Never mind being 2-1 up in the final and getting beat, never mind losing to a 92+ minute winner, never mind your former Player's Player of the Year being on the winning side, never mind Stoksie being on fire but imagine being THAT team who lost to Hibs...the team who hadn't won the cup since 1902.....:faf:

bodhibs
12-02-2019, 11:00 PM

Must all be lies, otherwise you wouldn't have been the star of one of the greatest ten seconds of video ever 🍻😍

ancient hibee
12-02-2019, 11:02 PM
First time on record for two teams from the Championship competing in the final of Scotland’s premier Cup competition
Unfortunately for The Rangers they met two top clubs in the Scottish Cup that season Celtic and Hibernian Football Club
Still without a Scottish Cup win since their formation in 2012
They let their club die but refuse to admit it
Strangely enough I had the distinct feeling that they beat Celtic in the cup making it much easier for us to win it.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2019, 07:23 AM
Strangely enough I had the distinct feeling that they beat Celtic in the cup making it much easier for us to win it.
Read my post again mentioned Celtic :shocked:

Itsnoteasy
13-02-2019, 10:05 AM

You should have turned it back on.
Some c##t lost his magic hat on the final whistle & is still looking for it.

Ram yer 1902

Joe6-2
13-02-2019, 03:09 PM
McGregor gets two game ban

ancient hibee
13-02-2019, 05:18 PM
Read my post again mentioned Celtic :shocked:

I know.So why were they unfortunate to play them?

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2019, 06:53 PM
I know.So why were they unfortunate to play them?

In response to the OP talking about playing top class opposition on the way up to and including the final of course :confused:

I would also suggest that we might consider ourselves to be unfortunate to be drawn against Celtic in the quarter final but at least it is not at Hampden or Darkheid.

We just have to get on with it hopefully we do not do a The Rangers and knock them out to do someone else a favour :greengrin

Oh! 2-1 down with ten minutes to go there was nothing easy about it!

ancient hibee
13-02-2019, 08:06 PM
From the moment they beat Celtic I thought that our chances in the final were no worse than 50/50 provided we got a fair crack of the whip from the referee.And so it turned out:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2019, 08:28 PM
From the moment they beat Celtic I thought that our chances in the final were no worse than 50/50 provided we got a fair crack of the whip from the referee.And so it turned out:greengrin

Never in doubt!

I am just glad we were there :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
13-02-2019, 08:42 PM
As soon as Halliday goal went in, The pessimist in me came to light, I turned to my dad and said “that’s a cup final winning goal”

I’m happy Sir David Gray proved me wrong

hibby6270
14-02-2019, 07:58 PM

The record has to be put straight here on the assertion we didn’t beat any (at the time) top teams.

I’ll give you Raith. But remember they finished one place below us in the League and we had to defeat them in the first ofthe play offs that season, so they were no mugs.

Hertz. A Premiership side who were having one of their best top flight seasons for many a year off the back of being promoted the season before. Much as it goes against the grain to say it, they were a “top” side at the time. Just couldn’t handle our never say die attitude.

ICT. A Premiership side who as ever were punching above their weight and on paper could have beaten us but didn’t!!

Dundee Utd. A Premiership side who were admittedly on a downward spiral towards relegation and we all know what lack of confidence and persistent defeats does to a team (I refer to second half of 2013/2014 season!!) We didn’t beat them. I prefer to say we defeated them to be more accurate and but for a big Irish polar bear making a sensational debut, probably wouldn’t be talking about 21/5/16 today.

The Rangers. Yes, they won the Championship relatively easily but because of that we’re imo way over confident the Cup (and subsequent “unique double”) was theirs. Another big cuddly Irishman thought different and ripped Sevco a sore one that day with the MOTM of all MOTM displays that day.

So Berne, you can take these facts back to your work discussion and show them, regardless of their football persuasions, that the Hibees won the cup fair and square having been dealt the cards they were given.

GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2019, 09:26 PM
The record has to be put straight here on the assertion we didn’t beat any (at the time) top teams.

I’ll give you Raith. But remember they finished one place below us in the League and we had to defeat them in the first ofthe play offs that season, so they were no mugs.

Hertz. A Premiership side who were having one of their best top flight seasons for many a year off the back of being promoted the season before. Much as it goes against the grain to say it, they were a “top” side at the time. Just couldn’t handle our never say die attitude.

ICT. A Premiership side who as ever were punching above their weight and on paper could have beaten us but didn’t!!

Dundee Utd. A Premiership side who were admittedly on a downward spiral towards relegation and we all know what lack of confidence and persistent defeats does to a team (I refer to second half of 2013/2014 season!!) We didn’t beat them. I prefer to say we defeated them to be more accurate and but for a big Irish polar bear making a sensational debut, probably wouldn’t be talking about 21/5/16 today.

The Rangers. Yes, they won the Championship relatively easily but because of that we’re imo way over confident the Cup (and subsequent “unique double”) was theirs. Another big cuddly Irishman thought different and ripped Sevco a sore one that day with the MOTM of all MOTM displays that day.

So Berne, you can take these facts back to your work discussion and show them, regardless of their football persuasions, that the Hibees won the cup fair and square having been dealt the cards they were given.

GGTTH

:top marks

hibbydog
14-02-2019, 10:39 PM

GGTTH

These are all great facts which are all correct and beyond question.

But I prefer the emotional approach. Hibs won the Scottish Cup - for the first time in 114 years - ending the biggest hoodo in world sport- with a last minute goal- against the most bigoted corrupt dirtbags imaginable.

And it was ****ing brilliant!!!

Goodnight

Iain Neilson
14-02-2019, 11:04 PM
And please don’t ever forget our greatest day guys and gals....
The media will always try to play it down.....
Only team ever to appoint a new manager
Without any real media attention today.....
Ceptic Europa league 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Even the EEN don’t give us credit for appointing a very well respected football coach....
None of us know how it’ll pan out....
But I’m 100% behind the new coaching team🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

FranckSuzy
15-02-2019, 11:58 AM
And please don’t ever forget our greatest day guys and gals....
The media will always try to play it down.....
Only team ever to appoint a new manager
Without any real media attention today.....
Ceptic Europa league 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Even the EEN don’t give us credit for appointing a very well respected football coach....
None of us know how it’ll pan out....
But I’m 100% behind the new coaching team🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Respectfully, is there something wrong with your keyboard? :tee hee:

Springbank
15-02-2019, 12:41 PM

GGTTH

Love this - I think of it as a never-to-be-repeated fairytale where the winners:
(R3) beat the "Lucky Omen" team, Raith Rovers (who had a 6 year record of going out to the eventual winners)
(R4) beat Derby Rivals after being 0-2 at 80mins (Hearts fans chanting "Stubbsy", the lot)
(R5) beat the holders
(Semi) The Polar Bear's out-of-shape but heroic debut & Cummings' 2 penalties - one horrible Panenka and one that got us into the Final
(Final) - 1-0 early, 1-1 HT, 1-2 and dreading it, 2-2, and 90+2...

The greatest cup run ever known

hibby6270
15-02-2019, 10:39 PM
These are all great facts which are all correct and beyond question.

But I prefer the emotional approach. Hibs won the Scottish Cup - for the first time in 114 years - ending the biggest hoodo in world sport- with a last minute goal- against the most bigoted corrupt dirtbags imaginable.

And it was ****ing brilliant!!!

Goodnight

Absolutely agree.
I’ve written the emotional version elsewhere on the forum.
Have never gret, bubbled and cried as much at a football match.
A day never to be forgotten. “A moment in time” as someone said.:greengrin
GGTTH

oneone73
15-02-2019, 11:41 PM
Love this - I think of it as a never-to-be-repeated fairytale where the winners:
(R3) beat the "Lucky Omen" team, Raith Rovers (who had a 6 year record of going out to the eventual winners)
(R4) beat Derby Rivals after being 0-2 at 80mins (Hearts fans chanting "Stubbsy", the lot)
(R5) beat the holders
(Semi) The Polar Bear's out-of-shape but heroic debut & Cummings' 2 penalties - one horrible Panenka and one that got us into the Final
(Final) - 1-0 early, 1-1 HT, 1-2 and dreading it, 2-2, and 90+2...

The greatest cup run ever known
You missed the part where a lifelong Hibby (Daz) scored his first-ever goal for the club ... which just happened to be Hibs' 1,000th goal in the Scottish Cup.

Eyrie
16-02-2019, 11:01 AM
You missed the part where a lifelong Hibby (Daz) scored his first-ever goal for the club ... which just happened to be Hibs' 1,000th goal in the Scottish Cup.
Round 4 - the first goal being scored by a Hearts reject and the equaliser by a life long Hibs fan, then the Hearts reject scoring the only goal in the replay.

Round 5 - beat the holders in a replay at a ground where we had a poor record and only days after losing the League Cup final to a last minute goal.

There is a fantastic narrative for the entire cup run.